BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2009-07-02 12:30 PM
in reply to: #2070143

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Prof40's group CLOSED
Krys - That sounds pretty good... just make sure you try it all out before hand so that you know what youre doing. and make sure you actually eat what you bring! ive read a bunch of race reports where people felt good so they didnt eat and they ended up bonking.  Dont be like that. 

2009-07-02 1:37 PM
in reply to: #2258626

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
mck35 - 2009-07-02 1:30 PM Krys - That sounds pretty good... just make sure you try it all out before hand so that you know what youre doing. and make sure you actually eat what you bring! ive read a bunch of race reports where people felt good so they didnt eat and they ended up bonking.  Dont be like that. 

Good good, thank you for that input!! I will make sure to eat it all, and have extra around just in case.
Everything in my nutrition plan has been tried many times previously. My tummy loves Clif bars on bike rides, and I can only handle Gatorade and clif blocks + water on the run (and I usually like to run a race with a small caffeine kick, thus the caffeinated gel before the run actually starts).
2009-07-03 5:54 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Sounds like you're a gal with a plan -- let us know how it works!
2009-07-04 11:20 AM

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Happy 4th everyone. I'm going riding (50 mile) and OW smimming today. It's very hot here this week. My 1/2 will likely be well over 90 F, so it's good tarining--I need the heat work.

Krystyna--are you doing your 1/2 today or tomorrow? I guess if it's today you're about done already. Good luck. I'm 4 weeks away still. We'll be thinking about you out there killing yourself.

David--Your 1/2 is next week?
2009-07-04 7:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Hey all,
I did the Half-Ironman today in horrid conditions (pouring for most of the bike ride, and incredibly humid -- thankfully not hot).

I finished in 6h00m36s, and here is how it broke down:
Swim 2km: 23:30 @ 1:11/100m (yes, that's beast!)
T1: 4:18 (including the 200-300m jog from the water to transition)
Bike 90km: 3:23:40 @ 26.5km/hr (I see where I have to improve the most...)
T2: 2:04
Run 21.1km: 2:07:06 @ 6:02/km

I'm pretty beat and in terrible shape -- I was pushing it so hard for the run (wanting to finish in under 6h) that my GI tract shut down, and I've been in immense pain, barely sipping at water and unable to stomach food, constantly going to the washroom, since I finished.

When I write up the race report, I'll post a link to it here! I am INCREDIBLY happy with my time, and my gosh, they weren't lying when they said that you basically experience the spectrum of human emotion in doing one of these long distance events.
2009-07-04 8:54 PM

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Great job, Krystyna! You did it!! And what a swim. That time is incredible. You should swim for me and I'd bike for you, and we'd do way under 6:00. My goal is six, too!

I'm so proud of you--now go enjoy your vacation. You will inspire me to push it hard the last month.

2009-07-05 5:11 AM
in reply to: #2261994

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
krystyna47 - 2009-07-04 8:21 PM Hey all,
I did the Half-Ironman today in horrid conditions (pouring for most of the bike ride, and incredibly humid -- thankfully not hot).

I finished in 6h00m36s, and here is how it broke down:
Swim 2km: 23:30 @ 1:11/100m (yes, that's beast!)
T1: 4:18 (including the 200-300m jog from the water to transition)
Bike 90km: 3:23:40 @ 26.5km/hr (I see where I have to improve the most...)
T2: 2:04
Run 21.1km: 2:07:06 @ 6:02/km

I'm pretty beat and in terrible shape -- I was pushing it so hard for the run (wanting to finish in under 6h) that my GI tract shut down, and I've been in immense pain, barely sipping at water and unable to stomach food, constantly going to the washroom, since I finished.

When I write up the race report, I'll post a link to it here! I am INCREDIBLY happy with my time, and my gosh, they weren't lying when they said that you basically experience the spectrum of human emotion in doing one of these long distance events.

Man, you attacked that race! Great job!

So -- knowing what its like -- will you do another one? And do you recommend the experience to others?
2009-07-05 8:00 PM

Awesome race! Can't wait to read the trip report.
2009-07-06 5:07 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia

So, have we all raced this summer? No novices left among us? I have to admit that I've lost track of who is doing what and where.

I can't believe that it is July 6th. The summer is flying, and a corner of my desk is stacked with race fliers. There's an Xterra in August that I'm tempted to do. I've never done one, and I am intrigued by the trail running and mountain biking. Plus I have info for some charity bike rides, a few marathons, etc. So little time, so many race fees to blow my paycheck on!

I spoke with a friend yesterday who is disappointed with his training this summer. He said he's worn out, is always sore, doesn't feel motivated to train or race. "If I don't feel better, I'm done for the summer," he said.

Now, I'm always sore, too -- but I'm also in my 40s. And some days feel better than others when I'm out there. (Speaking of which, I had a great dawn bike ride yesterday. It was chilly -- 58 -- but the glow in the sky as the sun popped up was incredible. A dreaded ride turned into one of my best for the summer.) But I can't imagine reaching the point where I just say 'that's it, no more training.' It has become too much a part of my identity.

Since you now have a few months under your belt, here's the question: Are you hooked? Or do you think you might hang up your running shoes when the summer ends?

Edited by prof40 2009-07-06 5:07 AM
2009-07-06 10:59 AM

I think the cool this is that there are so many things to do and ways to train that it'll be easy to stay interested over the winter. When I was just running, I usually lost any motivation over the winter. Now I'm looking forward to winter because I'll be able to cut back a bit on biking and running and focus more on swimming. The whole notion that I can go through different training phases makes tris way more appealing then just running.
2009-07-06 3:09 PM

User image

Regular
I think I'm hooked.  Over the winter I will definitely slow down, probably only run and bike a couple times a week, and probably lift a little more.  But this is a great way to spend the warmer months, I can't wait to sign up for next years races, lol.

2009-07-10 2:17 PM

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Seems we're slowing down on the writing, so I'll say a few thoughts.

I'm hooked. I just wish I could balance training, work, faith/God/church-life, family and house work. It's crazy to try to find 10 to 15 extra hours to do it, but I love the results. And my wife has been so supportive--if not I couldn't keep going.

We have 20 acres, so while I thought getting out of school would give me more time, I'm finding it crazy to try to find work out time. I've painted the house and decks, put in a lawn, built planter boxes, and weeded and bark dusted everything. I'm finding if I don't work out in the morning I'm too tired at night.

I'm going to watch a 70.3 triathlon next weekend while on vacation. I'm tempted to do the olympic, but I probably won't. I just went through two weeks of GI track problems--food poisoning and then something else. I trained more or less through it, but started feeling better wednesday and put in a great swim, run and bike in the last two days. I'm still a little weak, but I probably needed the rest for the last 3 week push into my 70.3 August 2.  

I'm going to get a cat scan now to see if there are any cats in my intestines. That would explain the pain!!

Keep going everyone. I'm finding the swimming is getting BORING! I need more OW to change the pace.
2009-07-10 9:25 PM
in reply to: #2276790

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Greg, are you doing drills in the pool, or just swiming yards? Since I got a coach who has been really pushing me hard, I really look forward to my swim practice. It is like swim boot camp, but it's always different and challenging. It's funny but every time I jump in the pool and start being pushed really hard, I think I won't be able to finish the drills but then something clicks and it becomes and addiction.
I hope that click happens to you so you can have as much fun swiming as I do!!!
2009-07-13 7:43 AM
in reply to: #2276790

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia

gplitt - 2009-07-10 3:17 PM Seems we're slowing down on the writing, so I'll say a few thoughts.

I'm hooked. I just wish I could balance training, work, faith/God/church-life, family and house work. It's crazy to try to find 10 to 15 extra hours to do it, but I love the results. And my wife has been so supportive--if not I couldn't keep going.

We have 20 acres, so while I thought getting out of school would give me more time, I'm finding it crazy to try to find work out time. I've painted the house and decks, put in a lawn, built planter boxes, and weeded and bark dusted everything. I'm finding if I don't work out in the morning I'm too tired at night.

I'm going to watch a 70.3 triathlon next weekend while on vacation. I'm tempted to do the olympic, but I probably won't. I just went through two weeks of GI track problems--food poisoning and then something else. I trained more or less through it, but started feeling better wednesday and put in a great swim, run and bike in the last two days. I'm still a little weak, but I probably needed the rest for the last 3 week push into my 70.3 August 2.  

I'm going to get a cat scan now to see if there are any cats in my intestines. That would explain the pain!!

Keep going everyone. I'm finding the swimming is getting BORING! I need more OW to change the pace.

You're right -- it's a tough effort to balance training with your every day life, especially if you have to travel to swim, bike, etc. Once you add in the time to get there, shower, etc, your training time is actually a few more hours than your log reflects.

But when you have a good day -- wow, it's a great feeling.

And I agree 100% about having a supportive spouse. Mine is accustomed to my early morning training, and the only thing she expects in return is that I not fall asleep at 7pm!

Well, that and that I try to schedule races in places she'd like to see. As in this last weekend, where we spent a few days in Newport and spent some time out on the water before heading up to Providence for the Sunday morning race.

Hey -- your stomach issues -- do you use gels when you train? A gal I met told me that gels will spoil in the heat of your car, and that they should be treated as food and not as this 'training stuff.' She said she had similar problems until she realized that she always felt ill when she used the gels she kept in her car.

August 2 is on the horizon! Summer has gone fast, hasn't it?

2009-07-13 7:46 AM
in reply to: #2277463

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
boxer - 2009-07-10 10:25 PM Greg, are you doing drills in the pool, or just swiming yards? Since I got a coach who has been really pushing me hard, I really look forward to my swim practice. It is like swim boot camp, but it's always different and challenging. It's funny but every time I jump in the pool and start being pushed really hard, I think I won't be able to finish the drills but then something clicks and it becomes and addiction.

How did you find your coach? Hiring one has been on my to-do list for quite some time. And how often do you see him/her, email, etc?

Good word, addiction. By the time I'm 1/2-way into a set, I just want to push it hard and finish it up, too. It's a macho thing for me.

2009-07-13 7:41 PM
in reply to: #2280371

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
prof40 - 2009-07-13 7:46 AM
boxer - 2009-07-10 10:25 PM Greg, are you doing drills in the pool, or just swiming yards? Since I got a coach who has been really pushing me hard, I really look forward to my swim practice. It is like swim boot camp, but it's always different and challenging. It's funny but every time I jump in the pool and start being pushed really hard, I think I won't be able to finish the drills but then something clicks and it becomes and addiction.

How did you find your coach? Hiring one has been on my to-do list for quite some time. And how often do you see him/her, email, etc?

Good word, addiction. By the time I'm 1/2-way into a set, I just want to push it hard and finish it up, too. It's a macho thing for me.

David, I was training at the Aquatic Center, and next to the open swim lanes, there was always a coach, this kind of big older gentleman, always training a small group of masters, and kids of all ages. He saw me working hard and one day he asked what I was  doing. I told him I was trying to run a triathlon. Since that day he's been coaching me twice a week. He won't take a penny from me, he just wants me to work hard, and he really means it!!!
His son was very accomplished triathlete and he coached him for years. Now he's got some health issues and he just enjoys helping people. So far, he's done a pretty good job with me and I am very greatful.

My riding has improved as well, I need to take some dratic measures on my running. Problem is, I don't have track near me. I've been doing some tempor runs and even ran some races. I ran an 8k in Aspen, CO on 4th of July. It was great.
I also went to the Aspen rec center and worked my butt off in the pool.

August 2 is my next sprint Tri and I really want to improve on my run.  Any suggestions????

Then half marathon (Virginia Beach) and one more sprint in October before my first Olympic in November.
Any concerns about going that new distance? What should I start doing different for that one?
I'm really exited about going Olympic, and my goal for next year is a HIM.
And one day........... don't know when, a ful IM !  That's gotta be A BLAST to finish one of those!!!  The idea keeps me going. I think I can do it, but I have a looong way to go before I'm ready.
Tks,
Jaime

2009-07-14 4:41 AM
in reply to: #2282571

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
boxer - 2009-07-13 8:41 PM

David, I was training at the Aquatic Center, and next to the open swim lanes, there was always a coach, this kind of big older gentleman, always training a small group of masters, and kids of all ages. He saw me working hard and one day he asked what I was  doing. I told him I was trying to run a triathlon. Since that day he's been coaching me twice a week. He won't take a penny from me, he just wants me to work hard, and he really means it!!!
His son was very accomplished triathlete and he coached him for years. Now he's got some health issues and he just enjoys helping people. So far, he's done a pretty good job with me and I am very greatful.

My riding has improved as well, I need to take some dratic measures on my running. Problem is, I don't have track near me. I've been doing some tempor runs and even ran some races. I ran an 8k in Aspen, CO on 4th of July. It was great.

August 2 is my next sprint Tri and I really want to improve on my run.  Any suggestions????

Then half marathon (Virginia Beach) and one more sprint in October before my first Olympic in November.
Any concerns about going that new distance? What should I start doing different for that one?
And one day........... don't know when, a ful IM !  That's gotta be A BLAST to finish one of those!!!  The idea keeps me going. I think I can do it, but I have a looong way to go before I'm ready.
Tks,
Jaime

Lucky you on your find -- sounds like you have a great coach!

I need to work on my run, too. I died in the second half of the run on each of my last 2 races. I'm not sure, though, if I need to add more long and steady base runs or more sprint work. Or maybe strenth training for the legs, which I've ignored. So at the moment, I'm looking through the articles here and online and gathering ideas.

That is why I am jealous that you have a coach! I'd love to be able to sit down with someone face to face with my last few race results and identify the good and bad parts and come up with a plan for the next few months.

Your olympic goal is definitely achievable. In fact, I'd bet money that you can do the distance now if you tried. It's more a mental game than a physical one.

Are you following a training plan for the olympic? There are lots of free ones here, and a ton online. Definitely worth looking at.
2009-07-14 10:24 PM
in reply to: #2283279

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
prof40 - 2009-07-14 4:41 AM
boxer - 2009-07-13 8:41 PM

Tks,
Jaime

Lucky you on your find -- sounds like you have a great coach!

I need to work on my run, too. I died in the second half of the run on each of my last 2 races. I'm not sure, though, if I need to add more long and steady base runs or more sprint work. Or maybe strenth training for the legs, which I've ignored. So at the moment, I'm looking through the articles here and online and gathering ideas.

That is why I am jealous that you have a coach! I'd love to be able to sit down with someone face to face with my last few race results and identify the good and bad parts and come up with a plan for the next few months.

Your olympic goal is definitely achievable. In fact, I'd bet money that you can do the distance now if you tried. It's more a mental game than a physical one.

Are you following a training plan for the olympic? There are lots of free ones here, and a ton online. Definitely worth looking at.

Well, thanks a lot for your vote of confidence, it really helps a lot!!
As far as training plan, all I'm doing is the 6 days a week 2 - 2 - 2 and a day off.  With all the travel I do, I'm lucky when I can log a "perfect" week. Of course I've been pushing myself harder and harder and I already lost 15 lbs; that's a whole bike!!!!! I'm going slowly but I'm enjoying it a lot. Triathlon is defenitvely not a sport, it's a lifestyle and I'm so glad I had the opportunity to do it.  Thanks for your support and everybody else in this group.
2009-07-15 6:20 PM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
So, based upon my performance this last weekend, I'm re-evaluating my summer race calendar. I've deleted one race because of travel issues, and might drop one and add another for September to give me time to try a different training style.

How's your training going? Are you having the success you'd anticipated, or have you stumbled a bit?

2009-07-15 11:37 PM
in reply to: #2288070

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
prof40 - 2009-07-15 6:20 PM So, based upon my performance this last weekend, I'm re-evaluating my summer race calendar. I've deleted one race because of travel issues, and might drop one and add another for September to give me time to try a different training style.

How's your training going? Are you having the success you'd anticipated, or have you stumbled a bit?

Tuesday got a great swim and today ran 8 miles, tomorrow back to the pool for more punishment then bike run bike/run.
Getting ready for Charleston Sprint on Aug the 2nd. Competiotion is of a different level there. I want to improve my PR and try to hang out. Only problem, going on on trip the week before to a 13 hr time difference place! But it is what it is, at least I'll be back for the race. So there's always hurdles,. Sometimes a forced day off doesn't hurt, I still feel guilty and horrible when I skip a training day. Only doing one event a month. After November seems like the Tri calendar kind of dies, but weather here in Savannah allows you to train all year round, and that's what I plan on doing. Maybe get a marathon beginning next year and tri to start next season better prepared. That's the plan...................... we'll see.

Edited by boxer 2009-07-15 11:41 PM
2009-07-16 11:52 AM

User image

Regular
My training is going well in the sense that I can do the distances I need to do without any trouble.  I am having a hard time getting all my workouts in though, especially swimming.  I think I've skipped more swimming workouts than anything else combined.  But I'm getting faster on my feet and on the bike, and I was always just hoping to finish in the MOP for the swim, and I know I can do that without straining myself.

I have a sprint on Sunday, after moving on Saturday, so hopefully I'm not too sore.  It'll be intereesting to see if I can improve on my race from last month.

2009-07-17 9:50 PM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
It sounds like you 2 are doing well. I'm proud of both of you!

I think the secret to longevity in our sport is to realize that there is always room for improvement, and it takes time to get there.

At least, that's what I keep telling myself!
2009-07-19 10:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Last Thursday I had my first physical crash since I started training. I was in the pool doing a set of 5 <1':20"  100s and all the sudden I started feeling dizzy (like things spinning around) and light headed. I had to stop and go home, felt like crab (emotionally). Next day didn't have any energy and had to take the next two days off. I mentioned before that I lost 15lbs I guess I took the weight loss to seriously.  I wasn't eating right, some times not eating at all. Those protein shakes are kind of fullfilling and I wasn't getting hungry........ well I already know what NOT to do. Skip meals and not continue to have a balanced nutrition. On my days off I eat a little of everything, watched a lot of Tour de France and slept a lot.
Today I biked at 21.5 mhp average and ran a couple sub 8' miles after that. Feel much better, maybe a pound heavier, but feeling rested and full of energy.
Now, sitting in front of this computer writing a paper for my masters.  It is driving me insane!!! First ever writing in English (not my first language) APA style. I rather pass out in the pool than doing this. Any good writers out there?
Congrats to the race participants on this weekend, would like to read some race reports!!
Wish everybody a good training week!

Edited by boxer 2009-07-19 10:21 PM
2009-07-19 10:26 PM
in reply to: #2289526

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
mck35 - 2009-07-16 11:52 AM My training is going well in the sense that I can do the distances I need to do without any trouble.  I am having a hard time getting all my workouts in though, especially swimming.  I think I've skipped more swimming workouts than anything else combined.  But I'm getting faster on my feet and on the bike, and I was always just hoping to finish in the MOP for the swim, and I know I can do that without straining myself.

I have a sprint on Sunday, after moving on Saturday, so hopefully I'm not too sore.  It'll be intereesting to see if I can improve on my race from last month.

Are you doing anything special to improve your speed running? After T2 I turn in to a turtle.
Let us know how you did in your race! What kind of swim, etc.
2009-07-19 10:42 PM

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Boxer--I made the same mistake--eating too lightly, training too hard. I lost 24 lbs but always felt bad. Now I have been eating a lot more and aiming for a balanced diet with more carbs, and I throw in an occational day off when I need it--I've gained about 5 lbs back, but I feel a lot better. I recover so much better from workouts, too. My goals are adjusting to a much healthier, long term approach, and I think I'm a lot happier with the whole experience.

For me, my training is going really well this week--this might be my "perfect week" (finally). After my two weeks of stomach hell, I've had a string of great workouts. I had a great 1.5 mile OW swim two days ago, a strong 8 mile run yesterday and a 58 mile bike today under 3 hours. Half the bike was straight into a 25mph wind, but coming back I was flying with the wind at my back. My 70.3 is two weeks from today. I'm really nervous, exspecially about the run in the heat, but I also am starting to get a strange confidence from all my training and also a more relaxed approach to the whole triathlon life. I've realized I don't have to have incredible PR's in everthing I do my first year. That's not to say I'm slacking though. I'm training about 2-3 hours a day right now. I'm planning about nine more hard days and then tapering.  

It's been in the low hundreds here. I'm praying for a cool front in two weeks. How do you all deal with the heat?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 18