BT Development Mentor Program Archives » crea0029/etknowles's group - CLOSED for now Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2009-02-03 5:59 AM
in reply to: #1857670

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
Subject: RE: crea0029/etknowles's group - CLOSED for now

Good morning everyone!  Today we'll think about:

Today I have the courage to give myself credit for accomplishments.

Why is this so hard?  Modesty?  I was brought up to not boast about my talents, and that is the way I have lived my life.  But acknowledging that you've done something isn't necessarily boasting.  And you can acknowledge it to yourself alone -- that's still giving yourself credit.

Why don't we all give it a try?  We're family, right?  I'll start -- it's taken me a long time to acknowledge that I'm a good age group runner, despite the fact that I keep bringing home trophys from races.  I'd always just say things like "There's no one my age racing anymore" or "No one showed up today".  But it's not true -- they do show up and I can still win.  And even if I don't win, I've tried my best.

But accomplishments aren't just about being good at something.  Accomplishments are also about wrestling our demons, or getting out of bed in the morning and putting on our running shoes, or finding the time in a busy day to swim a few laps.  What are you going to give yourself credit for today?

2009-02-03 5:49 PM
in reply to: #1942745

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Sledge - 2009-02-03 5:59 AM

Why is this so hard?  Modesty?  I was brought up to not boast about my talents, and that is the way I have lived my life.  But acknowledging that you've done something isn't necessarily boasting.  And you can acknowledge it to yourself alone -- that's still giving yourself credit.

Why don't we all give it a try?  We're family, right?  I'll start -- it's taken me a long time to acknowledge that I'm a good age group runner, despite the fact that I keep bringing home trophys from races.  I'd always just say things like "There's no one my age racing anymore" or "No one showed up today".  But it's not true -- they do show up and I can still win.  And even if I don't win, I've tried my best.

But accomplishments aren't just about being good at something.  Accomplishments are also about wrestling our demons, or getting out of bed in the morning and putting on our running shoes, or finding the time in a busy day to swim a few laps.  What are you going to give yourself credit for today?

That's a great inspiration, Cheri. I don't know why it is so hard. Might be because growing up we were taught not to brag. I can definitely give myself credit for doing my first half mary, even more so than my first triathlon. I'm not a runner and have never been a runner, so it was hugh accomplishment for me. 

I got an e-mail from my cousin over the weekend. The subject line was "You are my inspiration".  We spoke on the phone about a month ago and she was asking about how I was finding time (and motivation) to do some of the things I'd started doing.  She's like me, never been athletic, definitely not  a runner, but enjoys taking the dog for a walk. I told her it was easier if she had a goal. So, after giving it some thought, she started a walking/running program and has signed up for her first race, the Crescent City 10K! It's nice to know that you can inspire others to do good things for themselves.

You definitely need to stop making excuses for coming home with hardware. I wish I could get anywhere near your pace, but am happy with the strides (however slow they may be) that I've made in the past year. You should be very proud of your accomplishments!

2009-02-03 8:08 PM
in reply to: #1942745

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Sledge - 2009-02-03 5:59 AM

I actually have a really hard time with this.  I always have especially through my school years.

Today I did a 2.25 hour bike ride and found myself shrugging it off like no big deal.  It is my longest ride to date and I am doing great with recovery and keeping up with 8+ hours of training a week, working and still spending time with my family.

Soo, here is where I am starting.  I am a 23 year old, recent college graduate with a full time job and starting my fourth year of triathlon training.  But not only am I in my fourth season, I am training for my first Ironman.  This is something big that I should acknowledge because when I take a look at many of my friends and peers, there aren't many who would be even thinking about taking on such a task.  So I need to give myself credit for every hour I train, every race I complete, and finally getting to the start and the finish line of a race most people only dream of ever doing.

I like this quote and I think it would be great to hear what others are having problems taking credit for!

2009-02-04 5:26 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

We had a couple of good responses to yesterday's inspiration.  Great job Pam and Lisa.    What about the rest of you?  What should you be taking credit for? 

Today's inspiration is:

I have the courage to love the child within me.

Training for these races takes lots of serious dedication.  But we're doing it because it's fun, right?  A child knows how to see the fun in things, so let's let the inner child out to play!

2009-02-04 6:07 PM
in reply to: #1944631

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Sledge - 2009-02-04 5:26 AM

We had a couple of good responses to yesterday's inspiration.  Great job Pam and Lisa.    What about the rest of you?  What should you be taking credit for? 

Today's inspiration is:

I have the courage to love the child within me.

Training for these races takes lots of serious dedication.  But we're doing it because it's fun, right?  A child knows how to see the fun in things, so let's let the inner child out to play!

[/QUOTE

That's a great thing to think about. Kids get outside and run around, swim, and bike just for the pure fun of it without giving it a second thought.  We need to remember how much fun that was and try to pull some energy from those memories.

2009-02-05 5:44 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Today's inspiration is:

Today I have the courage to overcome my addiction for approval.

You are doing what is right for you, right?  Does it matter if everyone understands?  It's up to you to decide what is right for you.

2009-02-06 5:51 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Today I have the courage to grant myself permission to play.

Everyone here is so silent.  We all must be working too hard, and taking everything too seriously.  Cut loose a little today, find some time to go smell the flowers!

2009-02-06 11:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
First I want to apologize to all that I worried here. It has a difficult week and a half.
I let the worry take me down, my mistake...I tried hard but it got me anyway. I worried about Lacy, work, and had a classmate/friend passed away of a massive heart attack Sunday, and I always internalize everything, so last Saturday it took me down for the count, literally. I stack these things on top of myself and feel if I just feel everyones pain it will take some off of them.............does that really work..........ahhhh NO- or we would all do it for our loved ones.

Anyway I'm on the climb back out of the hole.

1) We got very good news yesterday on Lacy's condition...she does not have the myopathy pro-lapse (or something like that) that the athlete's drop dead of suddenly........."THANK GOD!" She has a slight mitral regurgiation that we need to watch, but she can still run and do any activities..."THANK GOD!".

2)Work is usually slower this time of year and I catch my breath to prepare for the rest of the year.......that hasn't happened and I'm covered up...when you own your own business...whatever is going on falls on you, nobody else, and I'm a pleaser....so every job I do I analyze for perfection...........that can drive you insane..........I'm working on that one.

3) A friend and classmate died..........47 dropped dead of a heart attack...........so I go through this whole....wow.........am I really that old now.........um YES, and now these things start happening more. He was one of my first boyfriends, he played a base guitar and I used to go watch him play in his basement with black lights and all...............it was a fun time. I'm sad that he gone...........I instantly put out an email to all my old friends and we are planning a get together before another one drops off the planet.

3) Me and my health goal..............I'm staying the course.

4) And I'm really tired of all the crappy weather..............today it's supposed to be 40, and this weekend it should hit the 60's, that is enough to help out anyones mindset.

I know everyone on my local tri team thinks I'm always the happy one, always strong, always the one they can lean on, and my friends and family feel that way too. But honestly being that way all the time means that when you crash.................and I do about twice a year.............I crash and burn big time.

Thanks for all the inspires...I read them all and they helped me when I was down. My plan is to get back on course this weekend with a little run, and walking the dog, she misses me too....ha
I will touch base with all of you personally tomorrow....thanks for all the support....and again I'm sorry for not responding sooner.

Love from Indiana,
Amy
2009-02-07 7:38 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Amy, this one's for you:

Today I have the courage to quit being a responsibility sponge.

Got it?

2009-02-07 9:51 AM

Veteran

Hi gang! 

Cheri I like todays quite... good reminder...

Today the weather is wonderful + 4 deg C- still have lots of snow- but it is quickly melting!! Yeh! Only had to wear one pair of running pant's/tights for todays run!!!

have a good weekend everyone! 

-Helen  

2009-02-07 10:01 AM
in reply to: #1950288

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX

Cheri, another good inspiration.  We need to take care of ourselves first in order to be there for others!  This is something I've slowly been learning over the last year.

I picked up a magazine at the store the other day that I'd never seen before called Clean Eating.  Has anyone else read this?  Very interesting concept.  Apparently the last one had recipes to feed your family healthy for one week with one bag of groceries. This one has good recipes for 5 meals for under $60, starting off with a bone in turkey breast (Asian Marinated Turkey Breast) and using it to make Sopa de Tortilla soup and Orange Scented Quinoa (for Karen) later in the week; the other meals are Baja Style Fish Tacos and Grilled Portobellow Mushroom Roll Ups.  And there is a cut out shopping list, which makes it even easier. There is also a 14 day healthy eating plan (with shopping lists).  Anyway, you might want to check it.

I finally tried the Quinoa and thought it was really good.  I roasted some eggplant, zuccinni, red bell pepper and onion, cooked the Quinoa in no salt chicken broth, and ate it with the veggies on top.  Very easy and very yummy! 

Hope everyone has a good weekend, and good luck to Pam on her race this weekend!  Time to go fix me a good breakfast, I've made myself hungry.

Edited by lufferly 2009-02-07 10:02 AM

2009-02-07 2:21 PM
in reply to: #1950399

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
lufferly - 2009-02-07 10:01 AM

Hope everyone has a good weekend, and good luck to Pam on her race this weekend!  Time to go fix me a good breakfast, I've made myself hungry.

Thank you!  My race went well.  I stuck to my plan of running 8, walking 2 and it seemed to go really well.  I hope everyone is having a great weekend!  I'm off to a YMCA lock-in tonight and I think it is going to be a blast!

2009-02-07 7:47 PM
in reply to: #1950399

User image

Veteran
British Columbia
lufferly - 2009-02-07 8:01 AM
I have been purchasing the Eating Clean Magazines since they started. Great recipes. Something else you might want to check out is the "Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook" and the "Eat-Clean Diet for Family & Kids" both by Tosca Reno.

Question for you guys. Do any of you use chamois butter (sp)? Do you use it only on long rides or do you use it all the time ? I have only been riding 20 to 30 km, but I plan to increase my mileage this year. Don't want to go on a ride unprepared and end up with a bad chafing problem.

Also, this might be a stupid question, but how do you keep track of your laps when swimming? I have tried using my timex watch (using the "split" button but it is so small). I find myself loosing track sometimes. Any suggestions? Thinking about purchasing the Finis Lap Counter & Timer that you can attach to the side of the pool. Anybody familiar with this?

Have a great weekend...

Cheri, another good inspiration.  We need to take care of ourselves first in order to be there for others!  This is something I've slowly been learning over the last year.

I picked up a magazine at the store the other day that I'd never seen before called Clean Eating.  Has anyone else read this?  Very interesting concept.  Apparently the last one had recipes to feed your family healthy for one week with one bag of groceries. This one has good recipes for 5 meals for under $60, starting off with a bone in turkey breast (Asian Marinated Turkey Breast) and using it to make Sopa de Tortilla soup and Orange Scented Quinoa (for Karen) later in the week; the other meals are Baja Style Fish Tacos and Grilled Portobellow Mushroom Roll Ups.  And there is a cut out shopping list, which makes it even easier. There is also a 14 day healthy eating plan (with shopping lists).  Anyway, you might want to check it.

I finally tried the Quinoa and thought it was really good.  I roasted some eggplant, zuccinni, red bell pepper and onion, cooked the Quinoa in no salt chicken broth, and ate it with the veggies on top.  Very easy and very yummy! 

2009-02-08 9:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX

Karen, I have the Sportcount lap timer and love it.  It fits on your finger and you just press the button for each lap. It keeps track of the total laps, total time, average time, fastest lap and slowest lap.  You can order it at www.sportcount.com.  I have the 90010 model and have been using for about 14 months now with no problems.

2009-02-08 9:06 PM
in reply to: #1951201

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

On the road again, back in Ohio... flew in yesterday, into the office at 7:00 AM, two appointments and picked up my daughter and granddaughter at the airport -- in Dayton.

First and foremost, Cheri!  What great quotes and what from the heart commentary.  You are a seriously good soul and I hope to get the privilege to meet you in person someday.   You should never doubt yourself, you have great insight and I am honored to be in this group with you.

Amy, sorry to hear about your friend.  It is hard.  We are getting to an age where that starts to happen.  All the more reason to love our lives, our families and relish the days we have.  Also, if you are really too sick of the weather, you can always drop in on us in AZ.  With luck, we will add a guest house next fall.  It depends on business... a little skittish these days.  If we sell our home in Cincinnati as planned, it will free up some dough for some additions to our place in AZ.  Time will tell.

Helen, Lisa and Karen, thanks for all the stop-bys... it really is a help these days.  It has been a long time since I have been putting in 12+ hour days and at the end I am drained.  Your kind stop-bys bring a bright spot to some very long days.  I am suppose to be the mentor and you are getting me through some very long days... I look forward to returning the favor!

Pam, I cannot tell you how proud I am of all you have accomplished.  Speaking as the closest thing to your father on this blog -- NEVER SHORTCHANGE YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You have accomplished a lot and the discipline you have shown in your success will carry you for the rest of your life.  I wish my daughter could meet you.  She is whimpering about doing a 10K in May.  I have hired a lot of young people over the years and it always drives me crazy to see someone with great potential and promise squander their youthful energy at a bar or other dead-end pursuits.  You are a beacon of drive in a sea of discarded talent.  I am proud of you and please don't ever doubt yourself.

As to the question, do I have trouble taking credit i.e. feeling good about what I accomplish.  I have never had a problem with that once I have finished it.  My issue is on the other end.  I don't think I am good enough or "worthy" of the status I have earned.  I am nationally recognized in several areas of my industry and I still feel like I have so much to learn and it has taken me years to ask for what I have earned.  I used to joke that I was the highest paid doormat in the city of Cincinnati.  That was in a past life a long time ago.  A new mission, a new life and new direction slowly put that away.  But it took a lot of years.  I talked about it with my son-in-law today, it has been a twenty year run to get to where I am today.  So it goes, we all carry our own baggage. 

Three meetings tomorrow, Four Tuesday, Four Wednesday and three on Thursday and then onto a plane Thursday night to fly back to Tucson -- I get in late, no drinks on the plane.  And, dinners Monday, Tuesday (I am speaking at that one) and Wednesday (I am speaking at that one too)...

A full week ahead...  But I am up to the challenge because I am healthy and strong!  That to being here with all of you.

Back later,

Emerson

2009-02-08 9:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
lufferly - 2009-02-08 10:45 AM

Karen, I have the Sportcount lap timer and love it.  It fits on your finger and you just press the button for each lap. It keeps track of the total laps, total time, average time, fastest lap and slowest lap.  You can order it at www.sportcount.com.  I have the 90010 model and have been using for about 14 months now with no problems.

Thanks for the tip on this, I never remember the laps... EK

2009-02-09 5:57 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Good morning all!

Sorry I took yesterday off, but I just wasn't feeling it.  I was a bit down about being sick.  The weather was beautiful but I was being a grown-up and making good decisions for my well-being.  But today is another day!  I'm feeling better and I'm heading out for a run as soon as the sun pops up.

Today's inspiration is:

Today I have the courage to feel all of my feelings and act on them appropriately. 

I think I just expressed above what this inspiration is about.  It's ok to not be sunny and 100% all of the time.  It's ok to feel bad for awhile, but realize that it's not forever.  "Life is good" has become somewhat trite and overplayed, but it's still true.

Cheri

2009-02-09 10:33 PM
in reply to: #1952000

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

Well said Cheri, not every day is perfect.  As I come from a long line of stoic, unemotional puritan types so I know exactly what the challenge is...  I think the first time I hugged someone in my family they just about fell over -- or more realistically they tried to run away.

We are all creatures of passion and it is such a joy to have permission to let it shine.  Relish each day and smile at the blessings we all have...

Thanks for sharing,  Emerson

2009-02-10 6:06 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Today we get to think about:

Today I have the courage to nurture others because I want to not because I have to.

I think that is the foundation of BT!  Why do some people come on this site, achieve their goals, yet stick around to help other new triathletes?  I think it's because they want to nurture newbies and help them (us!) grow.  Sending inspires is a way to nurture too.  I will find the time today to inspire all of my fellow mentorees.

2009-02-10 6:09 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
lufferly - 2009-02-08 9:45 AM

I ordered one yesterday!  It looks like a dream come true.  My watch has a lap count feature, but squinting at those tiny numbers through goggles to see if I really pushed the button just isn't working.  The girl I was sharing a lane with yesterday had a stack of pennies -- no thank you!  So thanks for the great advice.

2009-02-10 6:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm really missing everyone, and feeling the urge to get back in the game with everyone.

I had a relapse of being very sick Saturday, but starting to feel better today. Gosh, where am I in things????? I can't even say right now. I'm just going to take one day at a time.

I hate all this feeling physically and mentally drained and just not well, it is not me, and I don't like it.

I do have to thank all that have thrown a rope to me to help me crawl out of my hole...
Thanks!!!! I'm working on it.

I will try to check in each day from now on.

Thanks again!!!
Amy

2009-02-10 7:48 PM
in reply to: #1953985

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Sledge - 2009-02-10 6:09 AM
lufferly - 2009-02-08 9:45 AM

I ordered one yesterday!  It looks like a dream come true.  My watch has a lap count feature, but squinting at those tiny numbers through goggles to see if I really pushed the button just isn't working.  The girl I was sharing a lane with yesterday had a stack of pennies -- no thank you!  So thanks for the great advice.

You are going to love the lap timer. On a good day, I can even read the numbers under water as a log another lap. Let me know what you think about it once you've had a chance to use it.  Aren't gadgets fun?

2009-02-10 7:52 PM
in reply to: #1955582

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX

amy mutz - 2009-02-10 6:07 PM I'm really missing everyone, and feeling the urge to get back in the game with everyone. I had a relapse of being very sick Saturday, but starting to feel better today. Gosh, where am I in things????? I can't even say right now. I'm just going to take one day at a time. I hate all this feeling physically and mentally drained and just not well, it is not me, and I don't like it. I do have to thank all that have thrown a rope to me to help me crawl out of my hole... Thanks!!!! I'm working on it. I will try to check in each day from now on. Thanks again!!! Amy

Sorry to hear that you had a relapse. Is the weather getting any better up that way? We've had really mild temperatures here lately. I was wondering today when the time change is.  I hate the winters when the days are so short, and it's dark when I go to work and dark when I get home.  I just feel like getting home a putting my PJs on. Hope that you get to feeling better soon!

2009-02-10 7:54 PM
in reply to: #1953890

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
etknowles - 2009-02-09 10:33 PM

Well said Cheri, not every day is perfect.  As I come from a long line of stoic, unemotional puritan types so I know exactly what the challenge is...  I think the first time I hugged someone in my family they just about fell over -- or more realistically they tried to run away.

We are all creatures of passion and it is such a joy to have permission to let it shine.  Relish each day and smile at the blessings we all have...

Thanks for sharing,  Emerson

Emerson, we definitely all need to remember to do that!

2009-02-11 5:33 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

First, I'm so glad that Amy popped back in.  I hope good health comes your way soon!

Today's inspiration is:

Today I have the courage to choose what is right for me.

I love this one!  Who but you knows what is right for you?  Friends and family have good intentions for us (well, mostly ), but overall we have to set our own path.  Right now my focus is on my May HIM, even though the effort to get there really scares me.  But it's right for me -- it's a challenge that I need and it's a celebration of achievement.  So that's what I choose.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » crea0029/etknowles's group - CLOSED for now Rss Feed  

of 18