BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Come fly with me!- Closed again with a bunch of winners! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2009-03-10 7:55 PM
in reply to: #1857812

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Subject: RE: Come fly with me!- Closed again with a bunch of winners!

Got the new '09 Cervelo P2 with Ultegra - it's pretty!  I bought it at a tri store here and they did do an extensive fitting.  The seat was recommended but I'm not so sure I like it.  I am going to try to take it for a ride on a long flat course around here this weekend that I usually don't go to but will probably be good for getting used to a new bike.

I think I'm going to sign up for a sprint in mid April.  That will force me to get used to the new bike before the race.

Thanks for the checklist Scott.

2009-03-10 9:56 PM
in reply to: #2009788

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
karen26.2 - 2009-03-10 5:55 PM

Got the new '09 Cervelo P2 with Ultegra - it's pretty!  I bought it at a tri store here and they did do an extensive fitting.  The seat was recommended but I'm not so sure I like it.  I am going to try to take it for a ride on a long flat course around here this weekend that I usually don't go to but will probably be good for getting used to a new bike.

I think I'm going to sign up for a sprint in mid April.  That will force me to get used to the new bike before the race.

Thanks for the checklist Scott.

Very nice bike!!! Cervele makes quality and affordability. Good choice. Did you know that you can get a seat "fit" as well. That might be your next step as much as you ride. Nothing to rush into but something to keep in mind.

Its exciting that races are coming up. I have a du in March and April, then the tris start. Good stuff.

Edited by holt1997 2009-03-10 9:56 PM
2009-03-11 7:45 AM
in reply to: #2009509

User image

Regular
Goldsboro, NC

Hey, thanks!  I am tapering this week...but doing enough so that I don't feel like I am doing nothing!  I am excited...and a little nervous too.  The weather was perfect last weekend...but this weekend it is supposed to be cold and raining! 

I am hoping to finish in around 1:45 to 1:50, but I guess it depends on the weather and how I do with the transitions...it will all be VERY new to me! 

I will give you guys a report when I get back home Saturday afternoon...thanks again for all the support!

2009-03-12 1:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Question of the week...actually two.

1) Are there topics that you have questions about that we either have not covered or need to cover in more depth?

2) Our group is supposed to be done around the end of the month. What would we like to do? We can keep going in this format or close it and just keep in touch via inspires etc. What is your preference. I am fine either way unless our group gets down to two or three active participants. Then it is just as easy to keep in direct contact instead of this format.

I do hope after this group that we keep in touch. I have enjoyed getting to know all of you and feel blessed to be a small part of your tri journey. For me the most fun of this sport is the people (and passing people on the bike and run but thats a seperate issue). So anyway let me know what you think of the above 2 questions.

Almost there Chuck.

2009-03-12 8:44 PM
in reply to: #2013751

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia

holt1997 - 2009-03-12 2:09 PM Question of the week...actually two. 1) Are there topics that you have questions about that we either have not covered or need to cover in more depth? 2) Our group is supposed to be done around the end of the month. What would we like to do? We can keep going in this format or close it and just keep in touch via inspires etc. What is your preference. I am fine either way unless our group gets down to two or three active participants. Then it is just as easy to keep in direct contact instead of this format. I do hope after this group that we keep in touch. I have enjoyed getting to know all of you and feel blessed to be a small part of your tri journey. For me the most fun of this sport is the people (and passing people on the bike and run but thats a seperate issue). So anyway let me know what you think of the above 2 questions. Almost there Chuck.

I would like to keep in contact, and maybe if we all have each other added as friends we can use the inspires.  That way we can see what training we are all up to.  But like you Scott, I'm fine either way.  I definitely want to know how everyone's races this summer go, so we can't lose contact.

Topics we have not covered???  I think I've asked the questions I wanted input on.  I'm sure I will have more along the way.  This has been a great group and I hope we all keep in touch.

2009-03-13 10:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Well either way I am always happy to answer questions. I am no pro but if I don't know the answer I am happy to just make something up

2009-03-14 8:22 PM

User image

Regular
Goldsboro, NC

Hey guys, I am back...final time of 1:25:41...I was very happy with everything!  The swim went fine, but I should have signed up for a slightly faster swim time...there was a lot of congestion and I couldn't seem to get around some people...but no biggie at all.

My transition to the bike wasn't really that fast, but I did well on the bike...no bad winds or hills...went faster than I expected.  When I got off the bike though...my legs were gone!  It literally took me half of the run to get my legs feeling okay.

All in all, I was really happy with my total time and it was a great experience...can't wait for my next one.  Can't thank you guys enough for all the support!

Scott, you will appreciate this...as we were watching the swimmers ahead of me get started, my wife handed me some cards and told me "These are some scriptures I wrote down for you"...the first one was James 1:2 "Consider it pure joy my brothers...!!  I told her that it was your quote...it just really gave me a peace...like I was meant to focus on that scripture...and I certainly did!

Thanks again to everyone!

2009-03-15 6:59 AM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Great job Chuck!  You did great, we are so happy for you.
2009-03-15 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2018320

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
atostig - 2009-03-14 6:22 PM

Hey guys, I am back...final time of 1:25:41...I was very happy with everything!  The swim went fine, but I should have signed up for a slightly faster swim time...there was a lot of congestion and I couldn't seem to get around some people...but no biggie at all.

My transition to the bike wasn't really that fast, but I did well on the bike...no bad winds or hills...went faster than I expected.  When I got off the bike though...my legs were gone!  It literally took me half of the run to get my legs feeling okay.

All in all, I was really happy with my total time and it was a great experience...can't wait for my next one.  Can't thank you guys enough for all the support!

Scott, you will appreciate this...as we were watching the swimmers ahead of me get started, my wife handed me some cards and told me "These are some scriptures I wrote down for you"...the first one was James 1:2 "Consider it pure joy my brothers...!!  I told her that it was your quote...it just really gave me a peace...like I was meant to focus on that scripture...and I certainly did!

Thanks again to everyone!

Way to go chuck. Nice job! You shold be proud of all of your hard work and how it paid off. Your time was faster than you projected. What part was easier? Harder? What was the most fun?
2009-03-15 3:31 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia

Got a question -

When I bought my road bike 8 or 9 years ago, I got the Look road pedals.  The cleat looks similar to what they sell now, but there are somewhat different.  I love them, and had thought I'd keep them for my road bike (I have shoes that have the old cleats on them that I use for that bike).

I bought speedplay pedals that are currently on my new tri bike.  I have only ridden a bike with speedplay pedals a couple of times so maybe I have not given them enough of a chance.  But, now I'm thinking I might want to move the speedplays to my road bike and get some new Look Keo pedals for my tri bike.

For anyone that has Look Keo pedals, do you like them?  Any idea if they are similar to clipping in, the play (movement), and getting out of as the old Look type pedals/cleats?  And, do all the Look Keo pedals (classic, sprint, carbon, etc.) take the same cleat?

My hesitation with the speedplays are that they have so much play that I feel very unstable when I stand up.  I'm sure that goes away with time, but right now trying to get used to a new tri bike, and new pedals (that I feel like I might fall out of) is freaking me out.

Thoughts?

2009-03-16 12:21 PM
in reply to: #2019135

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
karen26.2 - 2009-03-15 1:31 PM

Got a question -

When I bought my road bike 8 or 9 years ago, I got the Look road pedals.  The cleat looks similar to what they sell now, but there are somewhat different.  I love them, and had thought I'd keep them for my road bike (I have shoes that have the old cleats on them that I use for that bike).

I bought speedplay pedals that are currently on my new tri bike.  I have only ridden a bike with speedplay pedals a couple of times so maybe I have not given them enough of a chance.  But, now I'm thinking I might want to move the speedplays to my road bike and get some new Look Keo pedals for my tri bike.

For anyone that has Look Keo pedals, do you like them?  Any idea if they are similar to clipping in, the play (movement), and getting out of as the old Look type pedals/cleats?  And, do all the Look Keo pedals (classic, sprint, carbon, etc.) take the same cleat?

My hesitation with the speedplays are that they have so much play that I feel very unstable when I stand up.  I'm sure that goes away with time, but right now trying to get used to a new tri bike, and new pedals (that I feel like I might fall out of) is freaking me out.

Thoughts?

Hi Karen,
I honestly have not used speedplay pedals and probably won't just because of what I have heard. I know they definately have their place and I am sure they work well somewhere but I don't see very many at triathlons. Part of what I have heard is that with standard clip ins is that the surface area is pretty wide and allows for adequate distribution of the force from your leg to be transfered to the bike. The speed play pedals have such a small area to push down on that I have heard they can actually be bad for your feet and make transfer of force difficult.

My other thought is if you are getting used to a new bike bring your old pedals with you. Make yourself as comfortable and familiar as possible and the transition will be that much smoother. Just for reference I have shimano pedals and I really like them. Hope that helps.

Scott

2009-03-16 12:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
So who has a race coming up? When is it? My first of the year is the 28th. A duathlon through the orchards of Wenatchee. Smaller race but very fun.
2009-03-16 1:19 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Thanks Scott, good info as usual. I have a half marathon on the 29th, then a 4.1 mile race on April 18th. That race is the innaugural Terrapin Brewery run and is sponsored by One More Mile so they made it a 5k plus One More Mile for 4.1 miles. Cute huh? Anyway, we get to tour the brewery and taste beer after, so I even talked my husband into doing it. Then I have my first sprint tri on April 25th. Getting busy now...Can't wait to hear other plans.
2009-03-16 6:03 PM

Regular
schuylkill haven, pa

I have some catching up to do.

First, congrats Chuck way to go, you made me excited for my first tri.

Second, As far as keeping in touch that would be great, I don't post alot but I read everything.

Next, Karen I have the same bike, I bought it in January and finally rode it last week, (sweet bike isn't it) I put new look keo classic pedals on and I love them, I have the older look style pedals on my road bike. The newer clips are a little smaller in size but they feel the same, they come with a 4 degree float, I do not notice the difference compared to the 9 degree float on my road bike. You will love the keo classic, If you are thinking of buying them go to probikekit.com, I think I paid 50 dollars for them with free shipping and had them in a week.

Next, My first tri is April 19th, getting excited and nervous at the same time. I am thinking of doing a 10k in two weeks to get a feel for a race setting and hang out with a few guys, who do tris, that I met at the local high school pool.

Thanks for all the input, it is a great help

Jeff

Edited by spinepa 2009-03-16 6:05 PM
2009-03-17 7:07 AM

Regular
I am happy to report that STS-119 (Space Shuttle Discovery) got off the ground at 7:43 Sunday evening, transporting 5 astronauts to the space station (ISS). I have more space information in my little brain than is necessary. I guess you could say my brain has been in space for the last week (or maybe my whole life.) It was a great trip with my youngest son, but it was not good for training. I didn't workout other than walking all over SeaWorld, Aquatica, and Kennedy Space Center. I had horrific eating habits while I was gone. I have 3 weeks to get ready for my race against my brother. I am super motivated, I just hope I haven't hurt myself too much by doing nothing for a week.

Chuck,
Congratulations on your first tri! You did a great job. You didn't have the best weather to compete in, but you certainly made the best of it. You made our group proud! The rest of us will have to keep up the tradition.

Scott,
My personal opinion would be that we should keep this forum/format until the end of April to get us through most of our first events. After that we can keep up with each other through our training logs.
2009-03-18 6:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
I think Cole has a good idea. We will keep going until at least the end of April as a group. I am glad everyone feels this group is worth while.

Another question: If you could do a destination event where would it be and why. Money is an object but not an issue for this question.

2009-03-19 8:03 PM

Regular
Scott,
To answer your question of where I would go for a destination event, I have to start by saying that the marathon I did in January was a destination event for me. I picked Phoenix, AZ because I had never been there before, my sister lives there, the January weather was warm, and the course was flat.

If I chose another destination event, I would probably use some of the same criteria. Somewhere I have never been, somewhere I have family/friends or they could come/meet me, nice weather, and interesting or easy terrain.

I think destination events make more sense than destination weddings, but that is just my opinion.
2009-03-19 8:18 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia

Almost every marathon I did was a destination event.  Chicago, San Diego, Detroit, Birmingham, Northern California, Big Sur...

My husband liked it when I was doing them because he got to go and see new places too.  He became quite good at finding me on the courses.

In the future if I were to choose a destination event, I would love to run the Great Wall of China marathon.  Or the Dublin marathon.  Or London marathon.  Oh, and Vancouver marathon - I love Canada.  I'm sure there's more places but those are the ones I have put some thought into actually doing.

2009-03-19 8:51 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Question time - I started a master swim class this week and really enjoy doing the different drills. Not every time when I swim, but often I get cramps in my feet or calves. I'm sure some of it has to do with not using my muscles that way since I don't swim consistently. And I'm sure some times I may be dehydrated (I am a BIG sweater when it comes to running and biking). But what can I do to help stop the cramping? I typically get them on the arch of my foot, toes, calf, or today all of those plus even down the outside of my leg running down my outer ankle. It got so bad I had to quit early. I hate it, and its kind of embarrassing too. Help...
2009-03-19 11:29 PM
in reply to: #2029177

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Hi Karen,
Cramping up is a pain but fortunately there are several things you can do to help. The first is potassium. Several ways to get it but chances are you need it all the time not just when you are getting ready for workouts so you might try the old banana a day thing. Another thing to consider is a gel right before you start your workout. It needs to be less than 10 minutes before or your body won't digest it in a beneficial way. Third is what are you drinking during your workout? When you take the gel just drink water, but a little later a sports drink might help also. I personally recommend powerbar fruit punch. It is mild but seems to work well (gatorade just rips me up on the insides.) One last thought is to relax a lot before the cramping ever starts. If your toes aren't pointed etc it doesn't matter. Let your body adjust to this new stress slowly. Sometimes try to remember to let yuour feet "flop" a little in the water. Its a great way to make sure you are actually relaxed. You can do the same with your hands too. Just some thoughts. I hope they work.
2009-03-19 11:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Hello everyone,
Just wanted to let you kow that I will be gone tomorrow through next monday evening to the beach with family and friends. So I will be out of touch for a bit but will check back in when I get back. Happy training!.

2009-03-20 11:48 AM

Regular
Karen,
I have had trouble with leg cramps (not necessarily while swimming). I found that all of my leg cramp problems were solved by adequate hydration. I found that it takes a lot of trial and error to figure out how much liquid you need to take in. Also, if you drink anything with caffeine, remember that caffeine acts as a dieuretic (sp?) and you need to drink MORE water to counteract the caffeine. Since your training logs indicate you are swimming in the morning, could it be that you aren't fully hydrated when you get started?

Scott mentioned gels and potassium. There are also elecrolyte additives (just add to your water) that help with hydration without adding calories. Are you drinking during your swim workout? I forget to drink when I am surrounded by water.
2009-03-20 11:58 AM
in reply to: #2030292

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
colewarren - 2009-03-20 9:48 AM

Karen,
I have had trouble with leg cramps (not necessarily while swimming). I found that all of my leg cramp problems were solved by adequate hydration. I found that it takes a lot of trial and error to figure out how much liquid you need to take in. Also, if you drink anything with caffeine, remember that caffeine acts as a dieuretic (sp?) and you need to drink MORE water to counteract the caffeine. Since your training logs indicate you are swimming in the morning, could it be that you aren't fully hydrated when you get started?

Scott mentioned gels and potassium. There are also elecrolyte additives (just add to your water) that help with hydration without adding calories. Are you drinking during your swim workout? I forget to drink when I am surrounded by water.

I usually drink when swimming but the cause is usually breathing before I get my face out of the water
2009-03-21 12:43 PM
in reply to: #2030316

Regular
Is chlorine an electrolyte?
2009-03-21 3:49 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia

Hydration is something I have always struggled with.  I sweat more than most people.  I try to drink a lot of water throughout the day, and do have Nuun that I add occasionally, or have Powerade Zero or Gatorade G2.  I don't like to drink the regular powerade or gatorade because I don't want all the added calories.

I think I do fairly well on potassium intake.  I have been having a banana a day for the past 2 months in my protein shake.  The cereal I eat has potassium.  I think think that because of all the sweating I do, I may not be replenishing the electrolytes quick enough.

Scott - thanks for the suggestion on the gel before swimming, I might give that a try.  And maybe drink gatorade the day before.

Cole - you might be right about starting out dehydrated in the morning.  I typically don't drink anything when I wake up early to workout.

All I know is I want the cramping to stop!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Come fly with me!- Closed again with a bunch of winners! Rss Feed  

of 19