Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2009-06-05 8:51 AM
in reply to: #2196626

User image

Regular
Brazoria County
Subject: RE: Tri/tbay group closed
Yeah, but I always end up drinking more than half the bottle! :-)  And I already have the bracket for my aero bottle, so no sweat.

Thanks for the tip on the HIM/marathon thread Roy, I will definitely do some reading there.  I have two HIM training programs that I am tinkering with, and am still working to blend the HIM and my marathon program together.

2009-06-05 2:37 PM
in reply to: #2196872

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
Mike, you're officially the owner of an almost new set of Profile T2+

the s/h was $7.10 for Priority mail - would have saved 8 cents any cheaper way so I took the offer.
Pls expect them by middle of next week.  Hope you like and enjoy them.
2009-06-05 2:43 PM
in reply to: #2197898

User image

Regular
Brazoria County
Sent you a PM.

Thanks for giving us first dibs on the gear!  I can't wait to get the bars on my bike!

Roy, can you point me to that thread on HIM/marathon training?  I couldn't find it, and the BT search engine is down.
2009-06-05 4:16 PM
in reply to: #1901752

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
check out the puppy I found here in Tampa.  This should cure the blues from that malfunctioning frameCry .

grtanted, Im just buying the frame/fork/headset and seatpost.

Edited by TrkHilo2k 2009-06-05 4:19 PM

(DSC02943.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
DSC02943.JPG (76KB - 13 downloads)
2009-06-06 3:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Nice Olman, man the guy who had that was in an aggressive postition> I saw the same bike in a bike shop in Lakeland the other day, nice bike. Have fun with your build.

Mike the thread is currently on forum page 3, started by dreamchaser on the 4th of this month.

I finally broke my best time in a 5k, I have been stuck on 23:43 since last season. In fact ran the same time twice. Haven't trained for this distance much so I guess its no surprise I couldn't get below it. Today finally 23:32, a littel stronger finish in the last mile would have been nice, but at least I'm off the snide.

Tomorrow hopefully a 3hr bike ride, and then off to Typhoon Lagoon at Disney with the swim team kids and parents.

2009-06-06 8:14 PM
in reply to: #2199273

User image

Regular
Brazoria County
Hey--way to go Roy!  Even though you haven't trained specifically you still broke the mould!  Now, just give it a thought if you mixed in some strides or intervals into your training! :-)

Have any of you guys tried this "long steady distance" training thing??  Man, but I am having all kinds of fits with it, even though a lot of folks I train with do it, and I have read a lot of good things about it...it is killing me to run this slow!  I had a 12 mile run on my schedule today, needed to keep my HR below 135 so as to stay in the fat burning zone, I figured maybe 9:30...9:45...10:00...nah, 10:25 pace!  I had all kinds of aches and pains I don't normally have--hip, knee, IT band--but I stuck with it and put in 2 hrs and 5 minutes for 12.25 miles...ugh. 

Everything I have read from folks says the same thing--it is TOUGH to learn to run that slow at the start--but the results, adaptations, prove the theory.

Dang, but it was hard.

Edited by wildcat83 2009-06-06 8:15 PM

2009-06-06 11:38 PM

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND

Olman, is that a Giant Trinity Alliance A0?  It looks like the bike I was going to buy before the bike shop went under.  Is it carbon frame with aluminum stays?  If so, it's exactly what I was going to buy.  Looks like the 07 model from the paint. 

I organized a group of guys to do some trail maintenance today for National Trail Day.  It was a lot of fun.  We met at the trailhead of our Wednesday Night Ride and did some bench cutting in two areas that badly needed it, moved a mile marker on a section of trail recently rerouted, power raked a huge section that runs through a bunch of pines, rehabbed the section of trail that was damaged by high water, and BEST OF ALL added a very cool optional technical section that features two log ramps and two boulder crossings.  Some of the older guys were joking how they needed to clear a spot for their lawn chairs so they can sit and enjoy the show (us crazy fools crashing our bikes).  Even though it rained for 2 of the 4 hours we worked, 12 guys in all showed up and put in a great day of work.  We improved the washed out section to better than new condition due to some erosion proofing we did.  I posted some photos of the technical stuff we built today on my profile. 

2009-06-07 12:35 PM

User image

Expert
Near Tampa

Roy, that's great, like Mike said, imagine the possiilities of you had trained for it.  Great job!

Mike:
don't laugh - that's my speed at that distance.  Yesterday's trui turned du proved that I NEED TO WORK ON MY RUNNING SPEED.  I will post my race stuff shortly.

Steve: it is so great when people take responsibility for their own hobbies, right?  What I mean is that I am sure you guys will enjoy it even more now than if it was a place where you guys come in and thrash and leave. 
Yes, it is a Trinity A2 frame, the guys used it for 3 months before he found a good deal on a Cervelo.   The bike has a little more carbon that just the stays - parts of the top and seat tube are carbon.  This minimizes weight and dampens some of the vibrations, but the best part is that now I can look good at the races, even if I can't keep up.  I got it all put together, except my carbon cranks which need a new BB, but I put on the Ultegras.  This bike  looks so hot, I got a sunburn just staring at it - LOL  I can't wait!

Today it's chillaxing day.  Roy, I hope the gang had fun at the water park.

Edited by TrkHilo2k 2009-06-07 12:38 PM
2009-06-07 2:34 PM
in reply to: #2200149

User image

Regular
Brazoria County
TrkHilo2k - 2009-06-07 12:35 PM

Mike:
don't laugh - that's my speed at that distance.  Yesterday's trui turned du proved that I NEED TO WORK ON MY RUNNING SPEED.  I will post my race stuff shortly.

Ouch--sure didn't mean to imply that was slow--what I SHOULD HAVE said was that I was finding running almost 2 minutes slower than my marathon goal pace terribly difficult!  I learned a long time ago not to compare myself to others, ESPECIALLY in triathlons, because there are so many talented people in one or more events, that trying to keep up with them would be a demoralizing experience!

But then, I wouldn't have taken offense either if you were trying to bike down in the 16-17 mph range--as that is about what I tend to average on these city long rides!  (Olman, I know you weren't offended, just need to make sure I saw what I mean! :-)
2009-06-07 6:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Greetings fellows,

Looks like a productive weekend for you Steven, I hope those around you can appreciate you and groups efforts to improve the riding course.

Mike I don't specifically do long runs at that pace, but I do try to keep it slowed down a bit. But I dont think I could do that for more than a 5k. Got to be tough, but I know there is a lot of support for that type of training for distance events.

Olman, I talked to one of our swim moms today who was there. She said it was pretty rough, they couldn't get the bouys set. Duathlons are tough, the legs are working the whole time. Can't wait to see the new steed.

2009-06-08 1:07 PM
in reply to: #2200673

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
tri/tbay - 2009-06-07 7:49 PM

Olman, I talked to one of our swim moms today who was there. She said it was pretty rough, they couldn't get the bouys set. Duathlons are tough, the legs are working the whole time. Can't wait to see the new steed.

Yes, that's right.   I'm glad they called off the swim - looks like a couple of people were pulled in on other beaches around town this weekend, and I don't wish that on to anyone, especially triathletes and especially, single bread providers like me. 

Mike: yes, I am very offended (NOT!)  I was serious but I thought I knew mylimits too - now based on my R1 time, I have to rethink this whole limits idea in my head.  Looks like it's time to put the pedal to the metal on my runs.  I've already signed up for my 3rd race.  Morton Plant Mease Sprint.  This race was cancelled last yr due to a storm.  Perhaps I should train more like a duathlete just in case.

I will post a few pics of my nu-ride between today and tomorrow.

Edited by TrkHilo2k 2009-06-08 1:09 PM

2009-06-08 1:42 PM
in reply to: #2202675

User image

Regular
Brazoria County
Seriously, your time on R1 is really great.  I'll have a better idea of my current conditioning after two races the end of this month and early July.  I have a sprint the end of June, then a 5K my family will do (also all of us ran last year) on the 4th of July.  The 5K is kind of a time trial for me, as it is a fun, fast course, with a local brew pub that shares their wares afterwards!  Last year, I averaged 7:18 miles, 22:50 total, this year I am shooting for sub-7:00 average (want to knock at least a minute off of last year's time)...we'll see.  Got some more speed intervals to do between now and then.

Olman, I don't see myself coming anywhere near 6:46 like you did though.  If I average just 6:anything I will be well pleased!! :-)
2009-06-08 4:38 PM

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND

Olman, I checked out your race log.  Nice!!  Was that a PR 5k for you on R1?  Looks like you blew it out of the water! 

I have my first olympic length race this week on Sunday.  I am taking the swim very easy (1:45 pace or so) and loading up on the bike and run where most of my work has been recently.  I did a 20 mile TT on the bike at 24+ MPH the other night with a short brick run right after and felt really good, I mean REALLY good.  I'm shooting for 2:10 or under.  Yes, it's lofty, but I think I can do it. 

Most important:  If I'm wearing a wetsuit, is there any reason I can't wear my heart rate strap and sending unit under my tri suit and wetsuit during the swim?  I REALLY need that information during the bike leg, but don't want to take the time in T1 to put it on.  It has the rubber O-ring that seals the battery compartment, so there shouldn't be an issue, right?

2009-06-08 7:55 PM
in reply to: #2203310

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

aesophs - 2009-06-08 5:38 PM

Olman, I checked out your race log.  Nice!!  Was that a PR 5k for you on R1?  Looks like you blew it out of the water! 

I have my first olympic length race this week on Sunday.  I am taking the swim very easy (1:45 pace or so) and loading up on the bike and run where most of my work has been recently.  I did a 20 mile TT on the bike at 24+ MPH the other night with a short brick run right after and felt really good, I mean REALLY good.  I'm shooting for 2:10 or under.  Yes, it's lofty, but I think I can do it. 

Hey Steven its here already, 1:45 or better is fine for the swim. Your HR monitor will be fine under your wetsuit, check your watch after you exit the swim make sure it not been hit and paused or stopped. I've had it happen and didn't catch for a while. I find the HR monitor really helps me on the bike, but the run I just need to take it off, I get to looking at it to much and not concentrating on the task at hand. I really think it slows me down on the run. Also i love that QR you have, I've seen them at the last event I did, good looking bike. Don't panic with your wetsuit in T1, stay relaxed and don't fight it it will come off.

My nutrition for an olympic is regular pre meal and begin to hydrate some, not to much. A gel and an endurolyte or similar before the swim. A gel at about 15 minutes into the bike another at about an hour, what ever hydration your using at the required amounts on the bike. Another endurolyte at the beginning of the run And then on the run mostly water, maybe a cup of gatorade/heed. One gel at some point about mile 4 or so.  And then bring it to the house. Just some thoughts.                                                                                                                                                            Most important:  If I'm wearing a wetsuit, is there any reason I can't wear my heart rate strap and sending unit under my tri suit and wetsuit during the swim?  I REALLY need that information during the bike leg, but don't want to take the time in T1 to put it on.  It has the rubber O-ring that seals the battery compartment, so there shouldn't be an issue, right?

2009-06-09 2:37 PM
in reply to: #2203729

User image

Regular
Brazoria County
Best of luck this weekend, Steven! 

My training got off this week, I was absolutely fatigued from the 12+ mile run Saturday then the 41 mile ride Sunday...my forearms still feel a bit like jello.  Then last night, I caught this minor stomach virus going around, my wife had it Sunday, me today, so missed two workouts already this week.  We head for Mexico in the AM, thought you were supposed to come home with these bugs not go to Mexico with them...

I'll be out of pocket until Sunday, so y'all have a great week/weekend!
2009-06-09 8:52 PM

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND

Roy, thanks for the input.  I definitely need HR info on the bike.  I never use it on the run, I just run until I throw up.  Probably not the best idea for Olympic length and longer. 

However, today is all about the day I found the sport of swimming.  I read the TI book yesterday and flat out decided to dedicate myself to these techniques.  Today I hopped in the pool to do 1500 meters straight (to gain confidence that I can do it).  I wanted to go REALLY easy and concentrate on making myself long and smooth in the water.  I finished under 1:45 per hundred and did not feel like I swam hard at all!!  I wanted to keep swimming until they closed the pool!!  I typically dread my swimming sessions because I push too hard and get way too out of breath and then get the "I'm going to breathe in water" feeling.  This was nothing like that, I actually had FUN and counted strokes, counted laps, totally relaxed the whole time.  I KNOW that with practice and dedication I can cut 2+ minutes or more from the time I swam tonite by the time the Lifetime Fitness Tri rolls around on 7/11.  That is my mission.  I might even be able to get up in the morning and swim if I'm not dreading the workout.

2009-06-10 7:46 AM
in reply to: #2206547

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
aesophs - 2009-06-09 9:52 PM

Roy, thanks for the input.  I definitely need HR info on the bike.  I never use it on the run, I just run until I throw up.  Probably not the best idea for Olympic length and longer. 

I KNOW that with practice and dedication I can cut 2+ minutes or more from the time I swam tonite by the time the Lifetime Fitness Tri rolls around on 7/11.  That is my mission.  I might even be able to get up in the morning and swim if I'm not dreading the workout.

Steve: good luck, you'll do great!  An OLY.  I know I can do it too but the races that fit my schedule have all been Sprints (I may have driven this subconsciously).  BTW, watch your effort on the Bike, remember there is still a RUN to do - that's the lesson I learned last weekend.

PR was definitely on R1 - guys I still think there was some sort of timing error. 
Maybe after you've digested that book we can exchange.  I just picked up IRON FIT.  It is really about ideas on how to train for an IM even if your time is very limited.  More like Time Mgmt for IM people.  I am using some of the ideas - now, if i decided just to swim more... I am now suffering a mild sore throat and I'm sure I caught it at MON swim session.  Too many kids (all ages) using the community pool these days.

Mike, thx for the check and the kids patches/stickers.  And wear a life jacket at all times (you might look a lil ridiculous on the dining hall but you'll be safe in any event - LOL)  Just kidding - have fun and just CHILLAX.

Roy - are you going to be at the Gandy pool this Sat AM?  I'd like to meet with you and swim and talk.  It's been a coupld of months and I still don't get the "get your a$$ in the pool spirit. Maybe you can help me, PLUS, I am still waiting to hear about your swim camp.

Since my new ride has FSA Vision cockpit, I now have a set of Profile QS2 (Alloy) brake levers to sell.  I paid $70+s/h.  They are in A- condition (some wear but still better than used condition I only used them over the winter on the trainer. Will sell to you guys at 1/2, otherwise I'll try to sell on BT or Ebay for $45 or so.  http://www.all3sports.com/product_info.php?pName=profile-design-quick-stop-2 

Yesterday (TUE) I ran 4.2 and though I started really fast (maybe 8 min pace), following some of Mike's routines I eased after 1/2 mi, then did 2 1/2 at 9:15 before I tried to go 8 again, needless to say I couldn't pull it.  It was more like a 9, then another 1/2 mile slow.  A couple hours later I walked the same dist w/ my wife at a fat burning pace.  NO KIDDING, when I weight myself this AM I was at 181.5 - that's the lowest I've been since college.  My pants were tight 36 (aka 38) in Jan, today my new 34 Levi's fit big.  

Gotta go now!  C ya!
2009-06-13 7:50 PM
in reply to: #2206973

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
GUYS, i have found the real reason for such a strong 5k.  it wasn't 3.1 miles, it was 2.0 - no wonder - yikes!!
That will put me in the expected pace, closer to 9:30

Anyways, today I went out with some other BTers and did a brick.  I was pulling them on the bike, I must have avg 23 trying not to get too far, could have met my previous 26mph ride,  It was flat and quite a few people at the beginning but that walkers and runners went down.  it was only 11 miles.  I setup my bike as close to the Hilo as I could and I feel very well fit to it. I think the bars could come down a tad.

Afterwards a brick run, where I was chasing them.  5k at 9:47 pace. 

I was experimenting with a friends' Polar 625x which gives pace/speed both on bike and run but it must have not been well calibrated.  That thing requires a PhD.  I ended up passing on it and ordering the Garmin 305 on Costco.com for $150. It may not be water proof but will give me the HR, and pace that I need to improve my running speed.  I will soon be selling my Polars (an S150 and an older Accurex), if any of you is interested.  They are both very reliable as far as HRM, I even like the Accurex more than the stylish S150. 

Edited by TrkHilo2k 2009-06-13 7:55 PM
2009-06-13 7:57 PM
in reply to: #2203310

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
aesophs - 2009-06-08 5:38 PM

I have my first olympic length race this week on Sunday.  I am taking the swim very easy (1:45 pace or so) and loading up on the bike and run where most of my work has been recently. 

Steve: tell us how it went. 
2009-06-15 10:08 AM
in reply to: #2215651

User image

Regular
Brazoria County
Hey guys, I am back.  Had a good time, but dang, there is just so much of the what-am-I-going-to-drink-next-and-lay-by-the-pool I can stand.  I had a very active day Thursday:  did a 6 mile run along a winding concrete path along the hotel zone in the morning (with :30-1:00 strides at 6:50 pace thrown in) at 8:25 avg pace, then played pool volley ball, followed by a 400m swim in choppy open ocean, then about 10 games of beach volleyball...unfortunately, that was the extent of my workouts this past week (did get in a 41 mile bike ride last Sunday).  I came down with a touch of tourista Friday, so just laid around, and we got home late Sat. night.

Steven, I know exactly what you mean when you described your long easy swim--I have done that several times, and it is really quite incredible what you can do when you take the "gotta go fast" mindset out of the equation.  I've done a continuous mile a couple of times in the pool, and 2000+ once in the pool and once in open water, and felt the same way--that I could swim forever.  Great confidence booster!

Olman, don't sweat the pace difference on the run portion of your last race--I've not done a race yet that had actual distances the same as advertised distances.

I took my Cannondale in yesterday to get it tuned up and get the new aero bars installed, will go back day after tommorrow to get it fit.  Also, I kind of splurged and bought what I think is a decent trainer that was on sale.  It is a Blackburn Trak Stand Fluid trainer.  They were normally about $225, on sale for $149 + $10 for a front wheel stand, so I bought it.  Figured I was going to spend $100 for a magnetic one anyway, and have read that the fluid ones give a more road-like feel (whatever that means), so went with it.  I am going to mount my road bike on it and just leave it there, using the tri bike for road rides.

It has been incredibly hot here the past 10 days with no end in sight, I've got to start doing some workouts indoors.
2009-06-15 3:31 PM

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND

Hey guys.  Humbling day yesterday.  They changed the format of the race to a duathlon because of the water temperature.  So it was a 5k run, 40k bike, 10k run.  For the 5k I ran smooth and easy finishing at 20:20.  My legs felt really good and I took in about 8 oz of water.  Came into transition in 3rd.  Transition to bike was good at 1 min flat.  Took an Endurolyte as I hopped on my bike.  It was a 15-20MPH tail wind for the out portion of a VERY hilly course.  Got passed by three people on the way out.  Drank all but about 8 oz of two 24 oz water bottles I had with me of water and took two gels.  The headwind on the back portion SUCKED, but I ended up passing three people during that time.  HR was up about 5-6 beats higher than normal the whole time, I am attributing this to 80+ degree temps for the first time this year.  T2 was awesome at 33 seconds.  Had my feet on top of my shoes riding in and dismounted right at the flag and ran to my spot.  Started feeling a twinge in my right quad a half mile into the 10k.  I thought I was going to be ok until the two mile mark when my quad completely cramped and rendered my right leg unbendable.  Took in water at every aid station as I limped through the remaining four miles.  At mile four the cramp spread from my quad through my groin and hamstring in a fraction of a second that literally dropped me to the ground.  I have NEVER felt anything like that in my life.  I limped to the finish for a 10k split of 53 minutes.  Weighed myself after the race and I had dropped 5% (9 lbs) of my body weight.  I was not acclimated to the high temps at all and the duathlon format did me in.  Finished 12th out of 22 at 2:33 (about 20 minutes short of my goal).

2009-06-15 6:38 PM
in reply to: #2219275

User image

Regular
Brazoria County
Man, first Olman and now you Steven.  Getting a race format changed up on you on race day really sucks.  It sure sounds like you got low on electrolytes though--the gels have some but nothing like taking in sports drink, HEED, or such.  And you probably needed 2-3 Endurolytes every hour instead of just the one, but that's how we all learn (same way I learned why you don't wash down gels with sports drink...ruh roh!).  How are your leg muscles a day later--are they still sore from knotting up?

And what do you mean that the swim was cancelled due to water temperature?  80 deg outside, what, was the water too warm?? :-)  Sounds to me like they should have just reversed the events, allowing y'all to finish up in the chilly water--would've felt great after the bike/run...course, probably would've lost a few triathletes along the swim but oh well...!
2009-06-15 6:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Hey Steven thanks for the update, definitely temperature related. I'm sure you weren't the only one to experience issues. But given your difficulties you were right on schedule to post a great time, so look at the bright side. You gutted it out and finished, your transitions were very good and you had paced your race as you had invisioned it up to the point of leg related issues. 

Now has your weight through hydration come back up and are you feeling OK? Since this is not your A race learn from it, prepare for it and go get it. Your still on track to do well, and as I wrote you duathlons are hard. We all should probably do more of them. I feel for you, but know your a competitor and will be ready for the next opportunity.

Thanks for sharing.

2009-06-15 7:37 PM

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND

Thanks for the encouragement Roy.  And yes, I'm back up to regular weight.  I sipped water the remainder of the day (so I wouldn't get upset stomach from chugging) and put about a gallon back in my system over the 6 hours before bedtime.  I did a 30 minute run today and was able to cover 4 miles very easily, so I must be ok.  My quad has a bruise right where the big cramp started and it feels like someone kneed me there today. 

2009-06-15 10:46 PM
in reply to: #2219805

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
OUCH!  I feel for you man.  Yup, tris turned du are a betch but you manned up and finished the race. Not only that but ahead of almost half your age group.  That menas you're ready and fast.

Today I went for a 15 mi ride and the air temp was 95F at 6PM - another hurdle.  I plit the route in 2 halves, a TT and then an aerobic ride.  Avg 26 on the TT and about 20 on the aerobic (second half took longer)  Ride avg was 21+change).  I rode w/o a helmet and that was a scarry thing but I wouldn't have had the time if I went back home to get the helmet so I pulled that.

Let's all have a great week! 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri/tbay group closed Rss Feed  

of 22