BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2009-05-05 1:46 PM
in reply to: #2131487

User image

Veteran
Near Lake Tahoe, NV
Subject: RE: Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training)
steph94483 - 2009-05-05 10:10 AM
  At really weird times, I actually miss school. But only briefly.

I know what you mean... I miss the variety in my schedule and the sleeping in, but then I remember the cloud of stress that followed me around until December and May

2009-05-05 5:24 PM
in reply to: #2131853

User image

Regular
Oklahoma City
JJackson07 - 2009-05-05 1:46 PM
steph94483 - 2009-05-05 10:10 AM   At really weird times, I actually miss school. But only briefly.
I know what you mean... I miss the variety in my schedule and the sleeping in, but then I remember the cloud of stress that followed me around until December and May

...and the three hour naps in the middle of the day! Those were the times.
2009-05-06 7:38 AM
in reply to: #2068561

Good morning, all No biking last night after all - it actually wasn't on my schedule! And we had a team BBQ thing, so that was fun. It was a disgusting, rainy, gloomy day yesterday. Today, the sun is actually out - kinda. 40 minute easy run on tap for me. Hope some of you get a pink square today

2009-05-06 9:05 AM

User image

I will be swimming at lunch.  Okay, silly question: when you have a swim cap, so you get your hair wet before you put it on, or leave your hair dry?
2009-05-06 9:52 AM
in reply to: #2133516

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-05-06 10:05 AM I will be swimming at lunch.  Okay, silly question: when you have a swim cap, so you get your hair wet before you put it on, or leave your hair dry?

I can get my swim cap on when my hair is dry, because I'm used to it, but I know when you're first starting out, it's a little easier to wet it first, then put the cap on. You can do whichever is easiest I put my  hair in a ponytail before it goes in the swim cap, so all I have to do is get the cap over my head and then stuff the ponytail up into the cap.

2009-05-06 11:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Near Lake Tahoe, NV
Chrissy, have you ever had problems with side stitches? I have never really had any problem with them other than the occasional one if I am pushing my pace too hard, but both in my race on Saturday and in the first half of my run last night, they were kicking my ace. I had to slow down and walk last night and after a good break of walking, I was able to return to jogging with no more problems.

My problem is that I wasn't even close to pushing my pace at all. I was going for a long recovery-type run and was running well below what I can. Any ideas?

2009-05-06 12:35 PM
in reply to: #2134123

JJackson07 - 2009-05-06 12:51 PM Chrissy, have you ever had problems with side stitches? I have never really had any problem with them other than the occasional one if I am pushing my pace too hard, but both in my race on Saturday and in the first half of my run last night, they were kicking my ace. I had to slow down and walk last night and after a good break of walking, I was able to return to jogging with no more problems. My problem is that I wasn't even close to pushing my pace at all. I was going for a long recovery-type run and was running well below what I can. Any ideas?

Hmm...side stitches can be any number of things. Could be because you didn't drink enough during the day, could be because you drank too much too close to the run. Same with food - eating too close to the run, or being too hungry before you run. It could be what you're eating and drinking while training. Could be a breathing thing - ie, you started breathing too shallow-ly (I don't think that's a word, but you know what I mean!) - sometimes focusing on deep breaths makes them go away if I get them. I rarely get them, and that's usually the cause for me, it seems. But you said you know you get them when you push hard (and that usually screws up your breathing), so it might not be that. I guess the thing to do is think back to the times it happened and what, if anything was different between those times and your usual times. Also, if you're running sorta slouched over, that kinda bunches everything up - it's not a very scientific answer, but it can be a cause - it compresses your diaphragm, which is what controls your breathing.

Not the best answer, I apologize - but side stitches are kinda tricky to diagnose.

2009-05-06 12:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Near Lake Tahoe, NV
Yeah I am not sure what caused them, just concerning that I had them bad enough to affect my run on the last 2 consecutive runs. Since I was able to get through the second half of the run without them, I shouldn't be too concerned.
2009-05-06 2:52 PM

User image

So, I had a super quick swim today because a meeting ran late then I had a Doctor's appt to rush to...BUT, good things were going on!!  I was definitely more focused, and had a good plan... freestyle started feeling better, starting to click a little more...life guard helped me to tweak my breaststroke a little, and that was amazingly helpful, less exertion, more power - that's always good!!  I even did a little backstroke today as well, so even though quick, it was good & very worthwhile!!

Chrissy, the last week before my race, would it make sense that I only work every other day, and for much shorter time than previously??  I just want to make sure, I know we did that with the marathon training, but it's been a while, and I was just checking my planned training schedule on here, and it has me doing 1 thing every other day for 15 minutes...I'm just getting nervous and wanting to be sure that I have all my ducks in a row!!!
2009-05-06 2:59 PM
in reply to: #2134689

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-05-06 3:52 PM So, I had a super quick swim today because a meeting ran late then I had a Doctor's appt to rush to...BUT, good things were going on!!  I was definitely more focused, and had a good plan... freestyle started feeling better, starting to click a little more...life guard helped me to tweak my breaststroke a little, and that was amazingly helpful, less exertion, more power - that's always good!!  I even did a little backstroke today as well, so even though quick, it was good & very worthwhile!!

Chrissy, the last week before my race, would it make sense that I only work every other day, and for much shorter time than previously??  I just want to make sure, I know we did that with the marathon training, but it's been a while, and I was just checking my planned training schedule on here, and it has me doing 1 thing every other day for 15 minutes...I'm just getting nervous and wanting to be sure that I have all my ducks in a row!!!

Yes, that's fine. Your training plan has a built-in "taper", which is normal. The idea behind a taper is that volume and intensity drop, in order to let you recover and have "fresh" legs for the race, but to still keep you moving and loose, so your body isn't like "wait, what?" on race day, after a week of doing nothing at all. Usually, I take the day before the race off completely. Sometimes the day before that too - or just do an easy swim on one of those days, like jumping in the lake at the race site, if it's an OWS, since I dont' get much OWS practice around here.

2009-05-06 3:05 PM

User image

Yeah, I'll be at the lake, so I can do an easy swim there...I just wanted to make sure that having it that tapered was alright, although I know I did pull a beginner training program, I just wanted to make sure everything was lined up okay for raceday!!!

2009-05-06 3:07 PM
in reply to: #2134736

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-05-06 4:05 PM Yeah, I'll be at the lake, so I can do an easy swim there...I just wanted to make sure that having it that tapered was alright, although I know I did pull a beginner training program, I just wanted to make sure everything was lined up okay for raceday!!!

It does seem a bit light for a taper, but since I don't know what the rest of the plan looked like, I'm not sure. Did you grab it from BT? Which one did you use?

2009-05-06 3:11 PM

User image

I did get it from BT - I think it was the 13 week beginner...It does get into decent workouts, but that seems light, so I may just do a half hour, but just won't push it since it'll be race week...

I started with a different training schedule, but at that point I was aiming for a different race that was a month later, and then I didn't get it set up right with the date, so then I did the 13 week because I got it in line with my race date...
2009-05-06 3:13 PM
in reply to: #2134761

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-05-06 4:11 PM I did get it from BT - I think it was the 13 week beginner...It does get into decent workouts, but that seems light, so I may just do a half hour, but just won't push it since it'll be race week...

I started with a different training schedule, but at that point I was aiming for a different race that was a month later, and then I didn't get it set up right with the date, so then I did the 13 week because I got it in line with my race date...

Yeah, you could do 30 minutes EASY on the bike, maybe 20 minutes easy on the run and the swim. 15 minutes on the bike doesn't seem worth it, esp. since that's where you spend the most time in the race.

2009-05-06 3:51 PM

User image

Yeah, I'm digging it...that sounds like a good plan!!
2009-05-07 7:38 AM

User image

Regular
Hi Everyone!  I cant stay long, work this week has been a b#%$% but I wanted to check in and wish everyone a great day!

2009-05-07 7:43 AM
in reply to: #2135858

amkaz - 2009-05-07 8:38 AM Hi Everyone!  I cant stay long, work this week has been a b#%$% but I wanted to check in and wish everyone a great day!

Hi Amy - sorry that work has sucked! Happy Thursday

2009-05-07 10:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Near Lake Tahoe, NV
Good info on that thread about side stitches... especially the info on bouncing around too much, I had never read about that before. I think that may have been the problem because I was definately running at a very slow pace and it seemed to get better when I picked it up.

So, I guess that means you can get side stitches from going too fast or going too slow (or rather not having a fast enough cadence). Interesting.
2009-05-07 10:32 AM
in reply to: #2136338

JJackson07 - 2009-05-07 11:30 AM Good info on that thread about side stitches... especially the info on bouncing around too much, I had never read about that before. I think that may have been the problem because I was definately running at a very slow pace and it seemed to get better when I picked it up. So, I guess that means you can get side stitches from going too fast or going too slow (or rather not having a fast enough cadence). Interesting.

Yes, that was a good point made, that I didn't think about, at least not directly - when you run, you want to think about running "forward", not "up and down" - ie, your head should not be bobbing up and down. So all of that bouncing jiggles your internal organs around.

2009-05-07 11:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
today was cardio thursday-a good swim (i didnt swallow too much of the pool this morning). that was followed up by 30 min on the rowing machine (rowing is tough), and the another 30 min on the elliptical. not bad for a thursday. i hope that everyone has a terrific thursday. the weekend is almost here!!!
2009-05-07 2:56 PM

User image

OK, bike people, I need some enlightenment on shifting...I know I need to practice it to get the feel for it myself, but I really don't know where to start...for instance, how far down do I need to shift when going up hill??  And what about when on flat, what should be a good equilibrium?  What about downhill?  Sorry if this is a silly question..

2009-05-07 3:06 PM
in reply to: #2137083

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-05-07 3:56 PM OK, bike people, I need some enlightenment on shifting...I know I need to practice it to get the feel for it myself, but I really don't know where to start...for instance, how far down do I need to shift when going up hill??  And what about when on flat, what should be a good equilibrium?  What about downhill?  Sorry if this is a silly question..

Hey, sorry I've been kinda MIA today - was sorta busy and then went to lunch with the boys my age - love them (all taken, though).

Shifting takes some practice. Do you have a triple crank (ie, 3 rings in the front)? If so, your granny gear, the smallest one, can be used for in conjunction with shifting to a bigger ring in the back, for very long climbs where you need to spin - to go up a reasonable hill, you want to shift down just enough that you can still spin your legs as fast as you were before you started the climb. For shorter hills you can attack, you don't want to shift down TOO far, and probably don't want to use your granny gear, because you need the resistance to pedal and attack. WHen you approach the hill, you want to start shifting down, so you're not trying to shift from something really tough while you're climbing the hill.

To descend a hill, push the biggest gear you can, really. Like climbing, make sure you shift before you descend, not while you're descending. If in either scenario, you feel like you need to add/subtract more resistance, you can, but you should already be part of the way there before the climb/descent starts.

In general, I stay in the middle ring on flats with a fairly small ring in the back - so I'm pedaling comfortably without mashing (pedaling too slowly and having to use your quads to push down), but I'm not slowing down. If it's a slight descent, I may shift into the big ring, and back off one or two on the cassette (back ring group).

Play around with it as much as you can, on a flat stretch, to see what different combinations feel like - the one thing you DON"T want to do is be in your biggest ring in the front and biggest ring in the back, or smallest and smallest - that's call cross-chaining, and you can drop your chain that way - with a triple there's more space between the biggest/biggest and smallest/smallest, so it's easier for this to happen accidentally. And in general, if you feel like your legs are spinning out of control, you need more resistance, so you need to shift appropriately to even that out.

2009-05-07 4:20 PM
in reply to: #2137101

User image

Veteran
Near Lake Tahoe, NV
wurkit_gurl - 2009-05-07 1:06 PM

WHen you approach the hill, you want to start shifting down, so you're not trying to shift from something really tough while you're climbing the hill

I try to decide if I am going to have to be in my small ring up front before I actually start up the hill so that I can be in it before climbing. Trying to change the front ring while you are already climbing is not much fun. I will sometimes change the gear in the back as I go up- start out with granny gear up front and somewhere in the middle in the back, and then drop to larger rings in the back as I need them (which I always do). That has worked very well for me and makes me feel like I am taking advantage of all of the momentum I had approaching the hill.
2009-05-08 7:36 AM

Morning all It's Friday, so I suspect the thread will be pretty quiet. My office is usually DEAD on Fridays, so I have even more time to hang around here (I'm just an Office Manager, made a victim, back in January, of the layoffs sweeping the country, so this is where I am right now since I need money and health insurance). 

2009-05-08 8:06 AM
in reply to: #2137271

User image

JJackson07 - 2009-05-07 5:20 PM
wurkit_gurl - 2009-05-07 1:06 PM WHen you approach the hill, you want to start shifting down, so you're not trying to shift from something really tough while you're climbing the hill
X 2 I try to decide if I am going to have to be in my small ring up front before I actually start up the hill so that I can be in it before climbing. Trying to change the front ring while you are already climbing is not much fun. I will sometimes change the gear in the back as I go up- start out with granny gear up front and somewhere in the middle in the back, and then drop to larger rings in the back as I need them (which I always do). That has worked very well for me and makes me feel like I am taking advantage of all of the momentum I had approaching the hill.

Thanks Chrissy and James for the info...that definitely helps a lot!! Part of my problem around my house is that there is not any place where there isn't a hill, so I was having a lot of problems getting up hill, trying to figure out the gear changes, etc. 

My plan is to try to go near my in-laws' house, they aren't far from us, and are in country like us, but there is a lot more flat area, or at least almost flat, where I can play around...

Thanks!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training) Rss Feed  

of 29