BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2009-05-01 11:52 AM
in reply to: #2122761

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Subject: RE: Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED
Welcome aboard, Christine!  Yay!  We have another blogger.  I love following and reading tri blogs.

That's awesome that you get to do the running and biking with your daughter.  Definitely times to cherish.

Let me know if you need any advice about which plans to choose.  You might want to find one that is not a bike focus since you have a lot more experience with it going in.

Again, welcome to the group and welcome to BT!

2009-05-01 11:53 AM
in reply to: #2123667

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
XcaliburGirl - 2009-05-01 11:59 AM Hey, I don't have time to read all the posts, but I just wanted to say that I got an email from my father yesterday thanking me for inspiring him to do the Couch to 5k program.

What a great feeling to know that my efforts have affected someone else positively as well as myself!

That's awesome, Alicia!
2009-05-01 12:03 PM
in reply to: #2068936

User image

Eden Prairie, MN
Good Morning All,

Hope everyone's having a great day and getting some good workouts in.

Quick question for anyone, everyone ..... do any of you take nutritional supplements?  A friend of mine does quite a bit, but the main reason is she works out a ton but forgets to eat. The shakes etc are easier for her to stay on track nutritionally.

I never seem to forget to eat   (just the opposite)  However, I still am wondering if supplements are something for me to consider? And if not, what types of foods should I be more focused on? Obviously healthy stuff like fruits and veggies, but I'm wondering what my optimal levels of protein and carbs should be.   From what I've read too .. timing can be important also (ie what you eat before to power up, and what you eat afterwars to help your body repair itself).

Thoughts?

Jeannie
2009-05-01 12:05 PM

User image

Eden Prairie, MN
Ha .. ok so I'm not looking very carefully am I.  Right after I posted my question on nutrition supplements, I saw this at the top of the home page.  Duh.....well, I would still appreciate any thoughts you guys have!

photoNutrition Question: Necessary Supplements for Triathlon?
2009-05-01 12:46 PM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA

Welcome Christine!

Mary Sue -  I think you are completely entitled to a few days rest!!!!  Also - in regards to your calorie question...I'm not a nutrition expert - but I just thought I'd tell you what I've done.  I watch my calories...which I've found is really easy when I enter it into the nutrition log along with my training!! (I'm on here a few times a day anyway! Laughing)  I determined my caloric intake by finding an online calculator - I did this one, but I'm sure there is more than one out there...

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

This allows you to put in your age, weight, etc. and more importantly your activity level.  Then it tells you different calorie levels to maintain, lose, etc.  But I'm not sure how to conver that back to WW point - I've never done WW...although those of you who do - - my mom is a dietition and really likes that program due to the support AND the "guaranteed" weight loss process: intake less calories than you need Smile  

Anyway - - I just wanna say that I am SO HAPPY IT's FRIDAY!  I need 2 days off from work!  I have a run planned for tonight and then a bike ride for tomorrow.  I'll probably take Sunday off.

2009-05-01 12:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
Subject: Sharie's Intro
Name : Sharie/ranchrunner

Story: It is a long story but I will give you the short version!    I have always been athletic - competitive swimmer from age 6 through high school,  a sprinter and hurdler in high school track along with riding horses - jumping and showing.   Graduated from college, married a rancher, worked my tail off and then after the birth of #5, my body collapsed.   Spent lots and lots of $$ trying to figure out what was wrong and in the end they said chronic fatigue...go home and lay down!    Well, easier said than done!   I have spent the past 10 years looking for answers and seeking health.  It has been a long and interesting journey.   Finally, after almost a year of feeling better, I decided that it was time to reclaim the very out of shape body that had just been lying around for so many years.    I started running in August '08 using the C25K program.  I ran my first 5K in November crossing the finish line with tears streaming down my face as it struck me how far I had come.    I have since run several other 5Ks and joined a running club to run their Winter Series - 5 races: 2m, 5K, 4m, 5m and 10K.   I realized sometime last fall that somewhere, buried deep inside of me, was a desire to do a Tri.   I wrestled with it in my head  for months and then finally decided to take the leap on my 50th birthday...March 31, 2009!   I joined BT, started reading, started training and looking for a bike....and like all of you, I am now steadily marching forward to my first ever triathlon!  

Family Status: Married to Tyler for 25 years (good man, tough marriage), 5 awesome children (23yo son, 19yo son, 17yo son, 14yo daughter, 10yo son).    2 house dogs (Bichon and Mini Aussie) and 3 working cattle dogs.   We are working on finishing up our 17th year of homeschooling.

Current Training:  I train 5-6 days a week.  Have a mix of plans but for the most part I am following the Tri-Newbie plan.  I have one of the BT plans printed out too, but the TriNewbie plan has so much good information.  I also sometimes download from swimplan.com.    I just got my bike last night (more on that later) so my bike training begins today!   I have to drive a minimum of 60 miles to swim, but I have been getting in at 1-2 swims a week.

This Year’s Races: Cheyenne Sprint Triathlon June 28th,  Then either Tri for the Cure, Denver OR Seeley Lake Tri, Montana.

Weight Loss:  When I first started running I lost about 10lbs.   I would still like to lose a few more but I am not too concerned about it.

2009-05-01 1:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern VA
Hey Everyone!
Welcome to our 2 new memebers! Wow, 2 homeschoolers!
I was just wondering if I could get my friend that I just introduced to this site on into this mentor program, I'll tell her to write you Lora!

As for me, I am soo happy to be into normal workouts again, although I am not sure I will be getting out to bike, looks like thunderstorms are predicted for the whole weekend. But even though the radar looks good my over protective (in a good way) hubby probably wont let me go out tonight so I may have to settle for a trainer ride in front of the boob-tube. Glad I got the rest of my workouts in before the weekend!
Kami
2009-05-01 2:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
Subject: Lake Tri Shoes
I was given some Lake Tri Shoes CX110, size 41.5/9.5US from another Bter.   They are way too big for me.  I am going to post them on the PayItForward thread, but thought I would offer them here first.     They are yours for free if you need them.
Used, but still have life in them!

Let me know,
Sharie
2009-05-01 8:36 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-05-01 9:26 PM

Elite
Puyallup, WA

Welcome Sherri!  I can't imagine how interesting/different your life on a ranch would be... Sometimes I miss not having people all around me...sometimes I don't Laughing

I just want to share my achievement - tonight I jogged for 25 minutes straight...I'm seeing improvement!!  I was suprised at how much "easier" it is to run outside versus on the treadmill - in the past I have had the opposite experience.  But I just kept plodding along!  Good thing too - I've got my first 5K in just under 3 weeks...! 

Anyone racing this weekend?

2009-05-02 1:49 PM

2009-05-02 1:58 PM
in reply to: #2124169

2009-05-02 2:00 PM

2009-05-02 2:09 PM
in reply to: #2124004

2009-05-02 2:22 PM
in reply to: #2122462

Regular
Western Massachussetts

Mary Sue,

I lost 50lbs with WW so far and I am 3 lbs away from my goal weight with them.  Personally I want to lose another 20lbs.  Anyways, you should eat your activity points, because if you are not eating enough your body will go into starvation mode and your weight loss will slow down. Our WW instructor feels you should always eat all your points. I hope this helps.

Stacy

2009-05-02 6:45 PM
in reply to: #2125689

Veteran
Northern VA
Subject: RE: Sharie's Intro
ChrisFL - 2009-05-02 3:09 PM
Do any of your kids share your passion for racing? 

My 4 yo says she is going to beat me in a swim race when she is older, I told her "I hope you will!" She isn't much into walking or biking yet, but I have high hopes for my 20 mo, he runs everywhere he goes. Whenever he sees a hallway he yells "go!" and runs down it, than waits for me to say "ready set, go!" and he comes flying back. Too cute! He also enjoys rides while I run and bike while my daughter never did. 

2009-05-02 6:47 PM

2009-05-02 7:13 PM
in reply to: #2125699

Thanks Stacy - since I am working out a lot, that seems like a lot of points (a whole extra day, in fact), but maybe you are right and I am not eating enough.  I'll give it a try for a week.
Mary Sue
2009-05-02 9:31 PM
in reply to: #2124004

Illinois

Sharie,

I am so impressed that you have to drive 60 miles but you are getting in 1-2 swims  a week.  I am such a weenie.  I resist traveling 3 miles to the swimming pool.  You are an inspiration to me.

Sue

2009-05-03 9:56 AM
in reply to: #2125689

Regular
West Fargo
ChrisFL - 2009-05-02 2:09 PM

Do any of your kids share your passion for racing?QUOTE]

Hi Chris! Welcome to the group! I've got at 4 & 6 yr old. They both LOVE to run and bike. Our city has a free track night (actually month - tuesday nights x 4 weeks.). They set up 3 different events and run for fun. The kids have a ball! On one event each night they hand out ribbons. They always come through the finish with such big smiles on their faces. I just love to watch them all. So cute, especially the really young ones! What a great event! I feel so lucky to have a park district that does these! Maybe your park district does some like this too? We've got the kids run for the Marathon next weekend. My husband doesn't want the kids to do it, but I'm hoping to change his mind. It's a half mile run, and the kids would be in the same age group. I think they'd LOVE it. Cross your fingers for me that I can convince him of what a great experience it would be for them!

Again, welcome to the group!

Edited by sleeping_butterflies 2009-05-03 9:57 AM
2009-05-03 9:59 AM

Regular
West Fargo
Hello Shari!

Welcome to the group! I am so impressed with how full your life is, and that you're able to make the time for the training! Holy Moly that's impressive with the distance to the pool! I look forward to hearing your posts!

Shannon

2009-05-03 10:06 AM
in reply to: #2121169

Regular
West Fargo
serendipity - 2009-04-30 12:38 PM

my son woke with an ear ache and was up for a few hours.  He gets these severe ear infections out of the blue with no other symptoms (fever, etc.) so by the time we realize it the pain is bad.  Last year he ruptured an ear drum before we figured out what was going on.  A couple of doses into the antibiotic and the pain is gone, so at least we are through that crisis.

I)

Have you ever considered a chiropractor for the ears? My son & daughter used to get ear infections, so we started taking them in to get their ears adjusted. They never got another infection after that. I know it doesn't work for everyone, but it did for us. Just a suggestion....
2009-05-03 11:10 AM
in reply to: #2121277

Regular
West Fargo
JeannieMc - 2009-04-30 1:14 PM

I'm signed up to do the Short Course of the Lifetime Fitness Tri here in MN on 7/11.    I am really glad they're doing this though. It will help ease my nerves on the day of the event to be familiar with the exact course.

I'm finally making some good headway on my weight this week. I lost about 70 lbs from Jan-June 08, but have plateaued since then.  I made some good choices this week, combined with increasing my workout, and I'm down a little. Hopefully that trend will continue as I'd like to lose another 30 (I'm at 157 officially as of this morning,).

Hi Jeannie! I'm so glad to hear you are doing the Lifetime Tri! That is on my goal list for next year. I have some friends who have run it the past few years and absolutely love it. I hear it is such a well put together event! I love that they they have group training on the actual course! For me that would really help to calm the nerves too!!!

Kudos on the weight loss from last year! That is awesome! I'm hoping to follow in those footsteps as well. I'm sure you'll be able to bust that plateau soon!
2009-05-03 11:24 AM

Regular
West Fargo
Well yesterday was beautiful! 50 degrees, sunny, slight breeze. My friend came to my house at 10am to do our run. My goal was the 10 miles that was on the training plan. Since I've not run that distance, I wasn't sure how it would go. My friend wanted to run 12. I have a route that was 10 miles, but it connects to a pond that would add a mile for each time you went around it. It started off as usual, first mile is always tough for me. I had to walk a bit after each 1.5 miles due to coughing, and needing a stop to catch my breath (still have that nagging chest congestion and runny nose). I took some cold/allergy medicine before running hoping to dry things up and have easier breathing. I think honestly all I dried up was my body's hydration. I was so thirsty!!! Mile 8-9 was a doosy!!! I checked my HR monitor and it was at 189!!! If I go by the 220-age theory I should have died!!! Needless to say I walked about 5 minutes instead of just the one to recover. Then at about mile 9.75 I had a weird breathing episode. Lasted about 5 seconds then was done. jogged out the last .25 and felt fine so I jogged one more mile around the pond and walked while my friend jogged the other to meet her 12 goal. We jogged .25 home from the pond. Once finished we downed some gatorade, and I felt fabulous. I was thinking if it were marathon day, I believe I could go another 2.1. Shouldn't be a problem. So now it's just realizing that I'm going to have a few spots next week where I'll need a little break, but in all should be quite do-able (considering I only started running 4 weeks ago, I'm pretty proud of myself!). There are still some earth dikes that are still up on the streets here (from our flood) that we had to run over, and those were where it was a bit tougher and got my hr up and the coughing started. Also, running the diversion (river diversion, it's all dirt/grass) was about 1.25 miles long and still a bit soft. That was the mile that my hr was 189. So obviously it was the extra exertion that got me struggling. luckily there won't be those "obsticles" to run through next weekend! I'm looking forward to this week's taper! Overall, a good run, and also good to test my limits a bit more.
2009-05-03 2:00 PM

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 36