BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KSH's Mentor Group! Let's do this! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2010-01-24 10:31 PM
in reply to: #2632324

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: KSH's Mentor Group! Let's do this! CLOSED
justtrichris - 2010-01-24 8:22 PM

The brick was great!  I could have run longer, but had to stop due to my appointment to test drive a Mini!  I'm about 99% sure I'll be buying one in a few weeks!

As for the brick... I expected my legs to feel awful.  Well, they didn't.  They felt great, and in fact I even ran faster than usual.  I cycled for 20 minutes on the trainer, spent 5 minutes changing (it was raining out), then headed off for a run.  At first, my legs felt off, but that only lasted about a minute or so.  Next weekend, I'm going to shoot for a 30 minute bike ride, then a 25 minute run.

Hey, that's great!

I didn't experience that until I had been in endurance sports for a couple of years! So you are ahead of the curve!

Yes now days I tend to sprint off like a race horse when I get off the bike. Which usually results in a horrible side cramp, so I always have to hold myself back. Then after a bit I settle in and start to feel tired... ha!

2010-01-24 10:40 PM
in reply to: #2632378

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
AngieF02 - 2010-01-24 9:05 PM

I have a swim question:

What is your typical rest time between sets? do you give yourself a longer rest time if the set is longer or base it on clock time (i.e, less rest for the slowest swimmer). I have a sample swim plan I use occasionally but it doesn't provide the time to rests between sets. I was hoping to have some type of a measure.
Thanks!

Well take longer rest intervals (60 to 90 seconds) until you adjust to the demands of swimming. It is better to have great form and get more rest... than it is to get very little rest and have sloppy form.

Once you get keep solid form... start lowering your rest interval.

Also, depending on what kind of workout you are doing, your rest interval might change.

If you are just working on speed and sprints, then a longer rest interval is OK (:30-1:00). If you are working on endurance, then a shorter rest interval might be called for (:10-:15).

When I was training for my 3 mile swim, I basically did something like 6x500 or 8x500 with :10 rest between each one. It just gave me time to move a penny over at the end of the pool (my counting method).

But I was training my body to keep a steady speed for up to 3 miles.

Just remember, the longer you rest, the more your body recovers. If you always let your body full recovery before the next set, you will never see any gains or push it to a new level.

Your body adapts to the stressors placed on it. If you never put a new stress on it, it never adapts to a faster speed.

Per my NASM book: 3 minutes will allow 100% recovery of ATP (adenosine triphosphate) and CP (creatine phosphate).

2010-01-25 11:28 AM
in reply to: #2557497

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the nice feedback. I did get a pretty nice bruise on my hip and was a bit swolen for a couple of days, but today felt much better, so I went for a nice relaxed run. I was planning on doing 11 km (which would have been my longest run ever, but the weather was nice and cool after a small cold front and my wife and I started at a slow pace, so I felt great and kept going. I ended up doing 12.2 kms, so 7.5 miles. Very happy with it! Still funny to think that about 6 months ago I could barely finish 5kms.

Karen 97kms is about 62 miles.

I am getting excited to start seeing improvements. To be hones, the HIM distances used to sound completely out of reach. Now I have swam the distance, biked the distance... still need to run the distance, and then do them enough to be able to put them together in one race, but definitively starting to feel doable :-)

Good luck with the hip pain. Hope you can fix it, or keep it manageable so you can continue your training.

I like bricks too. I have read that for many the problem is not running too fast... because of the high cadence of the bike.

Cool on the 10 mile run... I am looking forward to getting one of those in in a few weeks..

Have a great one,

Gerry
2010-01-25 2:18 PM
in reply to: #2632324

User image

Master

justtrichris - 2010-01-24 8:22 PM The brick was great!  I could have run longer, but had to stop due to my appointment to test drive a Mini!  I'm about 99% sure I'll be buying one in a few weeks!

As for the brick... I expected my legs to feel awful.  Well, they didn't.  They felt great, and in fact I even ran faster than usual.  I cycled for 20 minutes on the trainer, spent 5 minutes changing (it was raining out), then headed off for a run.  At first, my legs felt off, but that only lasted about a minute or so.  Next weekend, I'm going to shoot for a 30 minute bike ride, then a 25 minute run.

Great job on the brick!

You should totally get a Mini!  I drove one for a year and loved it!  I had a liquid yellow S, convertible...loved it.  I posted a pic on here in one of the "what kind of car do you drive".  Since it was a convertible, we installed the hitch and then put a bike rack on it.  When I took the rack off, I could replace the little black plastic piece in the bumber and you couldn't tell it was there.  We even drove it to Florida one summer.  They're awesome!!!

2010-01-25 2:28 PM

User image

Master

Edited by crews 2010-01-25 2:29 PM
2010-01-25 2:28 PM
in reply to: #2633771

User image

Master

crews - 2010-01-25 2:28 PM

Diego - awesome job on your first 100km ride!  That's awesome!

I got my run in before the rain started Saturday.  I was nervous since I knew it would take me almost 4 hours.  I can only imagine the blisters that rain and running can produce!  The run was all hills, but very rewarding when we were finished.

Hope everyone has a great week...I'm hoping for a snow day Thursday or Friday  And tomorrow's my b-day

2010-01-25 4:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras
Well,

Happy Pre-Birthday!! Hope you have a great one and if you drink to many... tequilas? then we officially give you the next day off as a present.

Congrats!!

Gerry

2010-01-25 9:18 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Happy early Birthday Crews!!!!

I always love training on my Birthday. It reminds me that even though I'm getting older... I'm stronger and faster.

Edited by KSH 2010-01-25 9:19 PM
2010-01-26 8:39 AM
in reply to: #2634406

User image

Master

KSH - 2010-01-25 9:18 PM Happy early Birthday Crews!!!! I always love training on my Birthday. It reminds me that even though I'm getting older... I'm stronger and faster.

Thank you  That will help get me thru awhile on the drainer this evening. 

2010-01-26 10:21 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
How is everyone doing!!!!

I need one more of me over here! Between studying for the NASM test on Sat and starting college... along with the new job and trying to keep my training up... well it's just plain nuts.

BBBUUTTTTT... I am still checking this thread nightly! So keep the questions and comments on how things are going... COMING!!!!

I have a half marathon this weekend. It's a training run. And at the start it should be around 26 degrees. Uh. Yeah. I don't like running when it's below 50. I'm really going to be sucking it up this weekend!

Edited by KSH 2010-01-26 10:23 PM
2010-01-27 8:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Missed Tania's Masters swim this morning, wouldn't have made it on time, but made it right on time for Master D's swim. Had a nice swim this morning. Beat myself down a little on the sprints and it really cleared my mind and released some stress. Was really a nice "escape". Had a little groin tweak on the track practice on Sunday, looking to get back on track tomorrow and get a nice long (for me) one in. I think I only have like 4 weeks before the half, so gotta get it in gear. Need to go long enough that I can start playing with nutrition, I think I bonked a little at mile 7 on my run last week.Got the bike all fixed up and healthy again, need to start getting back in the saddle and slowly bring it back into balance with the rest of my workouts.Ok, question for the week....hhhmmm... on longer runs do you usually bring along fluid and nutrition? Or do you have it stashed somewhere and loop back and take it? What about for a race?

2010-01-27 9:12 AM
in reply to: #2636850

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
Big_D - 2010-01-27 8:13 AM Missed Tania's Masters swim this morning, wouldn't have made it on time, but made it right on time for Master D's swim. Had a nice swim this morning. Beat myself down a little on the sprints and it really cleared my mind and released some stress. Was really a nice "escape". Had a little groin tweak on the track practice on Sunday, looking to get back on track tomorrow and get a nice long (for me) one in. I think I only have like 4 weeks before the half, so gotta get it in gear. Need to go long enough that I can start playing with nutrition, I think I bonked a little at mile 7 on my run last week.Got the bike all fixed up and healthy again, need to start getting back in the saddle and slowly bring it back into balance with the rest of my workouts.Ok, question for the week....hhhmmm... on longer runs do you usually bring along fluid and nutrition? Or do you have it stashed somewhere and loop back and take it? What about for a race?

Sorry, I woke up late and was rushing....didn't get up til 5:30. Today's Masters practice was killer. I love speed days, but man o man, I am hurting something fierce.
2010-01-27 10:13 AM
in reply to: #2636506

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
HAPPY HUMP DAY EVERYONE!!!!! I hope everyone is having a fabulous week so far.

Karen: GOOD LUCK ON YOUR HALF!

I am really stoked about being consistent in my training again and I plan on ending January on a high note.

My question is training in general. I know that obviously trying to juggle 3 diciplines, plus other activities (core, yoga, strength, ect) is tough but doable. I am currently focusing on my run (3 x wk) and swim (3 x wk), and very minimal biking, strength, yoga (about 1 x wk for each). My logs are accurate. I don't know if I am trying to do too much for my actual current level of fitness but there are some work-outs that I feel that I struggle with because I'm in a constant stage of fatigue. I get that training is supposed to fatigue you and that you do want to "over reach" to a point but should I be more concerned over quality vs quantity? I bring this up because I feel like a few of my sessions I have been struggling a bit. For example, this week I felt like I struggled on Sunday's and today's swim and swimming is my best out of the 3 sports. I felt like yesterday's 5 mile run was a sufferfest. I feel pretty tired and sore right now, not gonna lie. Or is this just a case of HTFU? 
2010-01-27 10:34 AM
in reply to: #2637233

User image

Veteran
tnguyen1 - 2010-01-27 10:13 AM HAPPY HUMP DAY EVERYONE!!!!! I hope everyone is having a fabulous week so far.

I am really stoked about being consistent in my training again and I plan on ending January on a high note.

My question is training in general. I know that obviously trying to juggle 3 diciplines, plus other activities (core, yoga, strength, ect) is tough but doable. I am currently focusing on my run (3 x wk) and swim (3 x wk), and very minimal biking, strength, yoga (about 1 x wk for each). My logs are accurate. I don't know if I am trying to do too much for my actual current level of fitness but there are some work-outs that I feel that I struggle with because I'm in a constant stage of fatigue. I get that training is supposed to fatigue you and that you do want to "over reach" to a point but should I be more concerned over quality vs quantity? I bring this up because I feel like a few of my sessions I have been struggling a bit. For example, this week I felt like I struggled on Sunday's and today's swim and swimming is my best out of the 3 sports. I felt like yesterday's 5 mile run was a sufferfest. I feel pretty tired and sore right now, not gonna lie. Or is this just a case of HTFU? 

Just HTFU, you are young whats the problem?
2010-01-27 10:49 AM
in reply to: #2637325

User image

Veteran
Big_D - 2010-01-27 10:34 AM
tnguyen1 - 2010-01-27 10:13 AM HAPPY HUMP DAY EVERYONE!!!!! I hope everyone is having a fabulous week so far.

Ok ok, just kidding. hahahahaha

I am sure Karen and some of the others will have more concrete ideas for you, but I will just share my gut feeling.  I think we have talked about this before, but the body needs to rest as part of the workout schedule and you are pretty hard core and go all out when you commit to something.

What did you do on your day off this week?  Oh yeah, you ran.  You ran Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday.  You do a good job spacing out the swim (sometimes Sunday, but always Wednesday and Friday).  Take your days off and I would also figure out a way to space out the weights and not do them the day or night before an early morning swim.
2010-01-27 11:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras

Like D said,

Definitively take a day off. The other thing is that I make some of my workout "light" since I am building volume. After the 100k ride on Saturday my legs were beat and today on my 40k ride I still felt my legs being tired from the long ride. I took it pretty easy today to and will do so again on the next shortish ride. Since I used to play a lot of sports and be very competitive I was used to going all out on every workout. Now I realize that we are training everyday, not competing. Some days I go a little harder, but in general I am taking it a lot easier and just going longer. I am improving a lot more this way and I am not suffering on the workouts.  :-)

2010-01-27 11:22 AM
in reply to: #2637375

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
Big_D - 2010-01-27 10:49 AM

I am sure Karen and some of the others will have more concrete ideas for you, but I will just share my gut feeling.  I think we have talked about this before, but the body needs to rest as part of the workout schedule and you are pretty hard core and go all out when you commit to something.

What did you do on your day off this week?  Oh yeah, you ran.  You ran Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday.  You do a good job spacing out the swim (sometimes Sunday, but always Wednesday and Friday).  Take your days off and I would also figure out a way to space out the weights and not do them the day or night before an early morning swim.

Oops, I forgot I ran a bit on Monday, but it was more to flush out the lactate build-up from the 7 mile run. Also, Saturday wasn't a hammer fest on the bike or anything and most of that day was spent relaxing . So I see those 2 days as active recovery days. On weights, I would rather do them before a swim then a run. I swim Sun/Wed/Fri because that is when Master's practice is. Once tri training starts in eanest I plan on keeping run and swim 3x plus adding bike 3x as well. Although I'll probably have to drop weights.
2010-01-27 11:42 AM
in reply to: #2637490

User image

Veteran
tnguyen1 - 2010-01-27 11:22 AM
Big_D - 2010-01-27 10:49 AM

Oops, I forgot I ran a bit on Monday, but it was more to flush out the lactate build-up from the 7 mile run. Also, Saturday wasn't a hammer fest on the bike or anything and most of that day was spent relaxing . So I see those 2 days as active recovery days. On weights, I would rather do them before a swim then a run. I swim Sun/Wed/Fri because that is when Master's practice is. Once tri training starts in eanest I plan on keeping run and swim 3x plus adding bike 3x as well. Although I'll probably have to drop weights.

Well I guess we are back to my original thought, HTFU and let's hit Windhaven. hahahahahha 

Well maybe not just yet, I ease back into it a little slower than you (you know us old guys), and I like you chasing me up the hills instead of me chasing you.
2010-01-27 12:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
tnguyen1 - 2010-01-27 8:13 AM HAPPY HUMP DAY EVERYONE!!!!! I hope everyone is having a fabulous week so far.

One thing you might want to try is to not run on back-to-back days. I run 3x a week currently and never run two days in a row. If you're trying to ramp up your running (which I believe you are) having a day off in between each run will allow you to go into each one a bit fresher and you won't constantly be trying to run on fatigued legs. I find that riding the trainer the day after a long run really helps me flush my legs out without all the pounding of a recovery run.

And if you're really tired take the day off. I've been pretty conservative with myself the last year since I started tri training, because I always said better to miss one day and feel better and get back at it the next day than push through the pain, get injured or sick and be out for a few weeks. My friend overtrained last summer, got bronchitis which then turned into pneumonia and she ended up missing both the Chicago Tri and the Chicago Marathon which she had been training for all summer. So in my book, sometimes less is more. Good luck!Smile
2010-01-27 12:46 PM
in reply to: #2637635

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras
calimavs
So in my book, sometimes less is more. Good luck!Smile

yep... same here. :-)
2010-01-27 7:00 PM
in reply to: #2636850

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Big_D - 2010-01-27 8:13 AM

Missed Tania's Masters swim this morning, wouldn't have made it on time, but made it right on time for Master D's swim. Had a nice swim this morning. Beat myself down a little on the sprints and it really cleared my mind and released some stress. Was really a nice "escape". Had a little groin tweak on the track practice on Sunday, looking to get back on track tomorrow and get a nice long (for me) one in. I think I only have like 4 weeks before the half, so gotta get it in gear. Need to go long enough that I can start playing with nutrition, I think I bonked a little at mile 7 on my run last week.Got the bike all fixed up and healthy again, need to start getting back in the saddle and slowly bring it back into balance with the rest of my workouts.Ok, question for the week....hhhmmm... on longer runs do you usually bring along fluid and nutrition? Or do you have it stashed somewhere and loop back and take it? What about for a race?

I have hand held water bottles for my longer runs. Right now since it's cold I can do 20 oz for 9-10 miles. Even with consuming gels.

http://www.nathansports.com/our-products/hydrationnutrition/handhel...

For races I carry a smaller, 10 oz bottle and refill at the aid stations. It takes me around 10 mins to consume a gel and I need water to get it down. I don't like trying to drink from those cups.

http://www.trisports.com/ultimate-direction-10-oz-fastdraw.html

I consume a gel every 30 mins.

2010-01-27 7:03 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
tnguyen1 - 2010-01-27 10:13 AM

HAPPY HUMP DAY EVERYONE!!!!! I hope everyone is having a fabulous week so far.

Thanks! It's just a training run though, so no time goals for me. Just going to run and have fun.

If you are not feeling great in your workouts... then take a day off. Rest. It's OK. Really.

Maybe you are a little run down. Yes you want to challenge yourself and try to get your body to adapt to new stress.. but you also don't want to beat it into the ground!

If you feel bad... then take a day off. Only you know your body.

One bad workout might not mean much... but multiple bad workouts might be a sign of needing some rest.

Also, if you know what your HR is when resting and exercising... you could see if your HR is higher than usual.

Edited by KSH 2010-01-27 7:04 PM
2010-01-27 9:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
Thanks everyone for the great advice. I know, I get a little obsessive about my training when I have my mind set. I will admit, I did hill repeats tonight and those hurt.....alot. I think I might have a slight addiction  BUT, tomorrow I'm scrapping weights and doing yoga instead to help stretch myself out.
2010-01-27 10:13 PM

User image

Veteran
San Francisco
Tania, I am the wrong person to ask about rest/recovery!  I am technically on day three of rest!  This was not planned, and for the first time in years, I do not feel guilty about taking  few days.  When I look at my logs, I'm proud of what I've done the past month, so a few days break is okay for January.  You should be proud of what you've done too, and allow yourself a true rest day (or two) to recover.  I especially don't feel guilty because the season hasn't truly started yet.  I think I just needed a physical and mental (more mental) break.  Next week, I am going full force again, and I consider February 1st my first official day of training.  Don't get me wrong, this isn't a zero training week.  It's just a super-easy week.  So, the moral of my story... if you take a day or two off, you will not lose any fitness or gains.  In fact, you will most likely come back stronger!

So, as for me... I've been doing well with training over the past month and a half, and have had such a busy week that I'm taking it super easy with training.  Tomorrow I'll do some strength in the AM before work, Friday will be an after-work run before my dad's retirement dinner, Saturday and Sunday will both be swims and runs on both days.  I'm staying with my family in San Jose for a few days for all of my dad's retirement festivities, so no bike for 5 days.  Next week will be great!  I'll be well-rested and ready for the bike again.  I'm also hoping to schedule another technique lesson in the pool.

Also, I joined Margot's tri club and went to an info meeting with them on Monday.  It was good.  I'm excited about training for Wildflower with the group.  AND, I met Margot!  So, we'll be training together for the Olympic distance tri coming up this May.  I think the group will really push me, and I'm looking forward to that!

Plus... I have new Mini on the mind.   I have been a girl without a car  for two years, and I'm ready to own one again.  Being without a car may sound crazy, but living in the city is actually pretty easy without one.  However, I'm ready to be a driver again.

Have a great night all, and I'll check in later this week.
2010-01-27 10:58 PM
in reply to: #2639028

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
justtrichris - 2010-01-27 8:13 PMTania, I am the wrong person to ask about rest/recovery!  I am technically on day three of rest!  This was not planned, and for the first time in years, I do not feel guilty about taking  few days.  When I look at my logs, I'm proud of what I've done the past month, so a few days break is okay for January.  You should be proud of what you've done too, and allow yourself a true rest day (or two) to recover.  I especially don't feel guilty because the season hasn't truly started yet.  I think I just needed a physical and mental (more mental) break.  Next week, I am going full force again, and I consider February 1st my first official day of training.  Don't get me wrong, this isn't a zero training week.  It's just a super-easy week.  So, the moral of my story... if you take a day or two off, you will not lose any fitness or gains.  In fact, you will most likely come back stronger!

So, as for me... I've been doing well with training over the past month and a half, and have had such a busy week that I'm taking it super easy with training.  Tomorrow I'll do some strength in the AM before work, Friday will be an after-work run before my dad's retirement dinner, Saturday and Sunday will both be swims and runs on both days.  I'm staying with my family in San Jose for a few days for all of my dad's retirement festivities, so no bike for 5 days.  Next week will be great!  I'll be well-rested and ready for the bike again.  I'm also hoping to schedule another technique lesson in the pool.

Also, I joined Margot's tri club and went to an info meeting with them on Monday.  It was good.  I'm excited about training for Wildflower with the group.  AND, I met Margot!  So, we'll be training together for the Olympic distance tri coming up this May.  I think the group will really push me, and I'm looking forward to that!

Plus... I have new Mini on the mind.   I have been a girl without a car  for two years, and I'm ready to own one again.  Being without a car may sound crazy, but living in the city is actually pretty easy without one.  However, I'm ready to be a driver again.

Have a great night all, and I'll check in later this week.
Yay! It was great meeting you, I'm super excited about TAG. Have a great time in San Jose and enjoy taking it easy for a bit. I think we'll be begging for rest once the group workouts start!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KSH's Mentor Group! Let's do this! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 27