BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's training group - FULL!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2010-05-15 9:16 AM
in reply to: #2858350

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Subject: RE: jsnowash's training group - FULL!!
Lovey - 2010-05-14 9:02 AM

WEEK one / DAY 3 of Swim Zero To One Mile in 6 weeks:
4 x 100 yards...rest for 12 breaths between 100s
4 x 50 yards...rest for 8 breaths between 50s
4 x 25 yards...rest for 4 breaths between 25s
total: 700 yards

That is the original workout for week one. My workout ended up being longer. After the second set of 100s, I felt I could have kept going so I did the 3rd and 4th 100 nonstop. I felt good. I moved on to the 4x50s but with a slower pace, I kept going nonstop for 500yards instead!!

I did 500 yards nonstop!! I did it slowly but surely. It took me 23 minutes to do that 500 swim but it doesn’t matter because I did the distance.

My workout ended up being
2 x 100 yards...
1 x 200 yards...
1 x 500 yards...

Total: 900 yards

(ruthkazez.com/ZeroTo1mile.html)

Lovey

Lovey - Great Swim!! Sounds like you're making real progress! Keep it up, girl!!

2010-05-15 9:22 AM
in reply to: #2773064

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
I got to meet Fernando and a buddy of his yesterday to do some open water swimming. The water felt a little chilly at first, but actually it was just about perfect. It was nice to meet you, Fernando, and I appreciated the chance to get some open water swim practice in, as well as some time in the wetsuit!

Went for a nice bike this morning with a bunch of people who form a loose tri training group in the are where I live. We call ourselves the "Tri-Monkeys" - not sure where the name came from, but it's kinda fun.... We had a pretty big group out this morning and it was a nice ride. On of our group dislocated his finger about 2/3 of the way into the ride! I wasn't there to see exactly what happened, but he somehow hit his hand on the frame of another riders bike and his finger was at like a 90 degree angle! Crazy! He popped it back in, and somebody gave him a couple of Advil, and some bandaids to splint the finger, and we were back on the road again. Other than that, a pretty uneventful ride

I'm wrapping up what will probably be my first 10 hour + training week in quite a while. I'm feeling it a bit, too! It'll be nice to rest up a bit before my tri next weekend!

Good luck to all our racers this weekend! Let us know how you do!!!
2010-05-15 8:50 PM

User image

New user
Iowa
well I've been injured this week.  My back really started bothering me after last weekend's heavy training and I was out all week.  I had to leave work twice because it was so painful to sit for so long!  anyways, I went to the chiropractor for the first time ever on Thursday and it seemed to help (or it was just time to get better).  Anyhow, I felt much better Friday but wasn't sure about the race.  Today (saturday) I did 2 miles - some walk and some jog, and rode my bike.  No fallout from that yet so I'm on for tomorrow!  I don't expect to be at my best but I really, really didn't want to back out.  I am hoping to finish and do well enough - I am no longer sure about being in the top half of my age group but we will see!  Thanks for the support here - sorry I have not contributed as much as many of the rest of you but I sure have been reading and absorbing the advice!  Enjoy the rest of the weekend and I'll let you all know how it goes!
2010-05-16 5:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Call me crazy. Saturday is my usual long runs but if we race on Sunday we only do 2 to 3 miles if we are going to really race it.

Yesterday I did an 8+ mile run so I figured I won't be racing it. Well I tried racing it anyway. With an official time of 36:16, I beat my last time by almost two minutes.

Then on the way home, I stopped by the trail and rode the 11 mile bike course. I had brought my bike just in case I felt like riding.

My legs need a rest now.

Lovey
2010-05-16 6:42 PM
in reply to: #2861849

User image

Veteran
Lovey - 2010-05-17 3:35 PM Call me crazy. Saturday is my usual long runs but if we race on Sunday we only do 2 to 3 miles if we are going to really race it. Yesterday I did an 8+ mile run so I figured I won't be racing it. Well I tried racing it anyway. With an official time of 36:16, I beat my last time by almost two minutes. Then on the way home, I stopped by the trail and rode the 11 mile bike course. I had brought my bike just in case I felt like riding. My legs need a rest now. Lovey

You are rippin' it up this year! Whoa, 2min is way faster. The 18 min. PR on your other post was incredible too. I wish I could have huge increases like that.
2010-05-16 6:44 PM
in reply to: #2861093

User image

Veteran
etakla - 2010-05-16 6:50 PM well I've been injured this week.  My back really started bothering me after last weekend's heavy training and I was out all week.  I had to leave work twice because it was so painful to sit for so long!  anyways, I went to the chiropractor for the first time ever on Thursday and it seemed to help (or it was just time to get better).  Anyhow, I felt much better Friday but wasn't sure about the race.  Today (saturday) I did 2 miles - some walk and some jog, and rode my bike.  No fallout from that yet so I'm on for tomorrow!  I don't expect to be at my best but I really, really didn't want to back out.  I am hoping to finish and do well enough - I am no longer sure about being in the top half of my age group but we will see!  Thanks for the support here - sorry I have not contributed as much as many of the rest of you but I sure have been reading and absorbing the advice!  Enjoy the rest of the weekend and I'll let you all know how it goes!

Back problems are a bummer. I know. Have you also tried sitting on an exercise ball at work. I made that change because the chair at work was killing my back. Love the ball and it builds core strength too.

2010-05-16 7:57 PM
in reply to: #2861093

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
etakla - 2010-05-15 9:50 PM well I've been injured this week.  My back really started bothering me after last weekend's heavy training and I was out all week.  I had to leave work twice because it was so painful to sit for so long!  anyways, I went to the chiropractor for the first time ever on Thursday and it seemed to help (or it was just time to get better).  Anyhow, I felt much better Friday but wasn't sure about the race.  Today (saturday) I did 2 miles - some walk and some jog, and rode my bike.  No fallout from that yet so I'm on for tomorrow!  I don't expect to be at my best but I really, really didn't want to back out.  I am hoping to finish and do well enough - I am no longer sure about being in the top half of my age group but we will see!  Thanks for the support here - sorry I have not contributed as much as many of the rest of you but I sure have been reading and absorbing the advice!  Enjoy the rest of the weekend and I'll let you all know how it goes!

Good luck...remember, listen to your body. You don't want an injury that will sideline you for a couple of weeks. 
2010-05-16 7:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Lovey - 2010-05-16 6:35 PM Call me crazy. Saturday is my usual long runs but if we race on Sunday we only do 2 to 3 miles if we are going to really race it. Yesterday I did an 8+ mile run so I figured I won't be racing it. Well I tried racing it anyway. With an official time of 36:16, I beat my last time by almost two minutes. Then on the way home, I stopped by the trail and rode the 11 mile bike course. I had brought my bike just in case I felt like riding. My legs need a rest now. Lovey

Great job Lovey. Keep it up!!! I hope we'll get to meet in about a month. 
2010-05-16 8:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Just came back from semi-long Zone 2 run (trying to take it easy this week). Weather was perfect. Everything was great, except I found out the hard way I should not OD on Sushi 1 hour prior to run. It kept trying to exit my body, and it was of the spicy variety.....yuk!!!
2010-05-16 8:20 PM

User image

New user
Iowa
I DID IT!!!!!!  We did the du this morning - 2 mile run - 18 mile bike - 2.5 mile run.  I think I am still physically in tact  We did a 1:41.something which is where we wanted to be.  We had talked about between 1:40 and 1:45 so goal achieved!  I also finished in the middle of the ladies as well as in the middle of my age group.  Things were fun!  I was most proud of our bike as we went under an hour and we had thought we would need a few more minutes for that.  I'll post more details once results are posted as I didn't write down my splits, transition times, etc.  I give my friend a lot of credit since she stayed with me and I KNOW she could have gone ahead.  She said the first race we do together and next time we will do our own race.  Awesome support!  I'm going to try and post a pic - I'll see how that goes.......

(the finish.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
the finish.jpg (52KB - 9 downloads)
2010-05-16 8:29 PM

User image

New user
Iowa
guticur and Straydog - thanks for the encouragement!  Things went well - hopefully the back will be oK in the morning but so far so good!

2010-05-16 9:11 PM
in reply to: #2862122

User image

Veteran
etakla - 2010-05-17 6:29 PM guticur and Straydog - thanks for the encouragement!  Things went well - hopefully the back will be oK in the morning but so far so good!

Elena:
Awsome! Job well done. Great celebreation pic..
2010-05-17 5:22 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Lovey - 2010-05-16 6:35 PM

Call me crazy. Saturday is my usual long runs but if we race on Sunday we only do 2 to 3 miles if we are going to really race it.

Yesterday I did an 8+ mile run so I figured I won't be racing it. Well I tried racing it anyway. With an official time of 36:16, I beat my last time by almost two minutes.

Then on the way home, I stopped by the trail and rode the 11 mile bike course. I had brought my bike just in case I felt like riding.

My legs need a rest now.

Lovey

WOO-HOO! Well done, Lovey!!
2010-05-17 5:24 AM
in reply to: #2862106

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
etakla - 2010-05-16 9:20 PM

I DID IT!!!!!!  We did the du this morning - 2 mile run - 18 mile bike - 2.5 mile run.  I think I am still physically in tact  We did a 1:41.something which is where we wanted to be.  We had talked about between 1:40 and 1:45 so goal achieved!  I also finished in the middle of the ladies as well as in the middle of my age group.  Things were fun!  I was most proud of our bike as we went under an hour and we had thought we would need a few more minutes for that.  I'll post more details once results are posted as I didn't write down my splits, transition times, etc.  I give my friend a lot of credit since she stayed with me and I KNOW she could have gone ahead.  She said the first race we do together and next time we will do our own race.  Awesome support!  I'm going to try and post a pic - I'll see how that goes.......

Great job, Elena! Congrats on your first duathlon! I'm glad you made it through with no back trouble. You and your friend look so happy!
2010-05-17 5:25 AM
in reply to: #2862065

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
guticur - 2010-05-16 9:00 PM

Just came back from semi-long Zone 2 run (trying to take it easy this week). Weather was perfect. Everything was great, except I found out the hard way I should not OD on Sushi 1 hour prior to run. It kept trying to exit my body, and it was of the spicy variety.....yuk!!!

Hah! Reminds me of the time I tried to run after eating Wendy's Chili & a Frosty --- in case anyone was wondering - BAD IDEA!!
2010-05-17 8:03 AM

New user

Medford, MA
Congrats to Elena on your race!  And congrats to the many racers whose events I haven't been around to cheer for!  I've just gotten caught up on posts.  You guys are awesome!

So, hi again, folks!  Sorry I've been such a stranger.  When last I posted I had a couple of bum knees, a sore achilles' tendon and a broken bike.  Well, the bike is fixed, and the knees are doing a lot better.  I transitioned my training over to the elliptical until the knees are stronger.  So far, so good!  I'm into the 5th week of the Couch to 5K program and feeling pretty good.  I met with a Master Trainer and got some specific knee strengthening exercises to build up the stability in both knees.  I've just started them, so hopefully I'll be back to the treadmill or outdoor runs for at least a couple of weeks before my 5K at the end of June.  I did my first off day cardio workout on the bike today, and it went well.  My pace is crazy slow, but at least I got started!

Because life is always changing, I may have to adjust my plans for competing in my first tri this year.  But I have a new event to keep training for: I've added prenatal yoga to my weekly workouts and am working hard to be the fittest I can be before the big day.  If any of you folks with kids have advice to offer about training or anything else, I'd love to hear it.  I will be checking in more frequently now, though my training log is pretty hopelessly out of date.  I'll put in yesterday and today's workouts and start fresh from there. 

Best to you all!

Elise

2010-05-17 9:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
WEEK two / DAY 1 of Swim Zero To One Mile in 6 weeks:
200 yards……… rest for 12 breaths
total: 900 yards

That is the original workout for week two.
After being able to do 500 yards nonstop last Friday, I wanted to see if I could keep that up.

My workout ended up being:
600 yards……… done

The first set was all freestyle but the second set I did breaststroke every fourth length except for the last one which I sprinted. My breathing was steady doing bilateral every 3 strokes.

I am thinking if I should stick to the program or can I jump ahead to week 3 or 4 and follow it from there. What do you think?

Week 3 workout is:
400 yards……… rest for 12 breaths
200 yards……… rest for 10 breaths
4 x 100 yards...rest for 8 breaths between 100s
4 x 50 yards...rest for 4 breaths between 50s
total: 1200 yards

Week 4 workout is:
600 yards……… rest for 10 breaths
300 yards……… rest for 8 breaths
4 x 100 yards...rest for 6 breaths between 100s
total: 1500 yards

2010-05-17 11:41 AM
in reply to: #2862122

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
etakla - 2010-05-16 9:29 PM guticur and Straydog - thanks for the encouragement!  Things went well - hopefully the back will be oK in the morning but so far so good!

Congrats Elena!!!
2010-05-18 5:45 AM
in reply to: #2862676

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
eliseb - 2010-05-17 9:03 AM

Congrats to Elena on your race!  And congrats to the many racers whose events I haven't been around to cheer for!  I've just gotten caught up on posts.  You guys are awesome!

So, hi again, folks!  Sorry I've been such a stranger.  When last I posted I had a couple of bum knees, a sore achilles' tendon and a broken bike.  Well, the bike is fixed, and the knees are doing a lot better.  I transitioned my training over to the elliptical until the knees are stronger.  So far, so good!  I'm into the 5th week of the Couch to 5K program and feeling pretty good.  I met with a Master Trainer and got some specific knee strengthening exercises to build up the stability in both knees.  I've just started them, so hopefully I'll be back to the treadmill or outdoor runs for at least a couple of weeks before my 5K at the end of June.  I did my first off day cardio workout on the bike today, and it went well.  My pace is crazy slow, but at least I got started!

Because life is always changing, I may have to adjust my plans for competing in my first tri this year.  But I have a new event to keep training for: I've added prenatal yoga to my weekly workouts and am working hard to be the fittest I can be before the big day.  If any of you folks with kids have advice to offer about training or anything else, I'd love to hear it.  I will be checking in more frequently now, though my training log is pretty hopelessly out of date.  I'll put in yesterday and today's workouts and start fresh from there. 

Best to you all!

Elise

Hi Elise! Good to see you! Glad to hear your knees are doing better, and you're keeping at it!

ummmm -- are congratulations in order? Did I just read that you've added PRENATAL YOGA to your workouts?? When are you due?? I exercised through all (three) of my pregnancies, and I think it was helpful. I guess you probably know you're supposed to keep the intensity fairly low.... so just take it easy! Swimming or aqua-exercise classes are great prenatal exercise if you have access to any of those.

Keep up the good work - and CONGRATULATIONS!!
2010-05-18 5:48 AM
in reply to: #2862875

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Lovey - 2010-05-17 10:12 AM

WEEK two / DAY 1 of Swim Zero To One Mile in 6 weeks:
total: 900 yards

That is the original workout for week two.
After being able to do 500 yards nonstop last Friday, I wanted to see if I could keep that up.

My workout ended up being:
600 yards……… done

The first set was all freestyle but the second set I did breaststroke every fourth length except for the last one which I sprinted. My breathing was steady doing bilateral every 3 strokes.

I am thinking if I should stick to the program or can I jump ahead to week 3 or 4 and follow it from there. What do you think?

Week 3 workout is:
400 yards……… rest for 12 breaths
200 yards……… rest for 10 breaths
4 x 100 yards...rest for 8 breaths between 100s
total: 1200 yards

Week 4 workout is:
600 yards……… rest for 10 breaths
300 yards……… rest for 8 breaths
4 x 100 yards...rest for 6 breaths between 100s
total: 1500 yards

I think you could probably do it, Lovey. At any rate, it can't hurt to try the week 3 workout and see how it goes. If it's too much, you can always end the workout early. I don't think there's any harm in trying!
2010-05-18 11:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Rain, rain, rain, rain.....the little training I had planned this week will have to be indoors Cry.  That might work out...I usually don't  overdo-it when I have a roof on top. 

2010-05-18 11:48 AM

User image

New user
Iowa

Hi All!

Hope everyone is having a fantastic week.  Great run Jenny!  Also, Lovely, awesome job on the swim training.

Elena

2010-05-18 1:11 PM
in reply to: #2865778

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
guticur - 2010-05-18 12:11 PM

Rain, rain, rain, rain.....the little training I had planned this week will have to be indoors Cry.  That might work out...I usually don't  overdo-it when I have a roof on top. 

I hear ya! The gray, chilly, damp weather persuaded me to take the day off from training today. Getting lots of laundry done, and got my bike all cleaned up, lubed, and ready to go for this weekend's race. The good news is that the weather looks PERFECT for the weekend!!
2010-05-18 4:58 PM

Katy
Had a sprint on Sunday!  It was good, except for the hills!  I live in a flat area, so there are no hills for training, unless you count speed bumps!  I had to get off half way up the first one (the steepest and right after the start) and walk my bike up the rest of the way.  The I got back spasms on a gradual incline and walked my bike a little more.  I'm thinking gatorade instead of water in my bottle for the next one in 2 weeks: 2nd race with cramps/spasms.  I then played good samaritan and stopped twice to help people with bike chain problems, so my time will be slow, but I finished and felt good.  Then I went to transition and it was still closed, last bike 2 miles out.  I hit the port-o-potty and when she came in and started the run, I put my stuff down and walked with her for the run.  She was proving something to herself and she did!!  Overall I had a great race, not for speed, but for being human!  Less than 2 weeks and I have another, my first pool swim tri.  Then a break for a bit during family vacation ... hiking in the Rocky Mountains!
2010-05-18 6:50 PM
in reply to: #2862106

User image

etakla - 2010-05-16 9:20 PM I DID IT!!!!!!  We did the du this morning - 2 mile run - 18 mile bike - 2.5 mile run.  I think I am still physically in tact  We did a 1:41.something which is where we wanted to be.  We had talked about between 1:40 and 1:45 so goal achieved!  I also finished in the middle of the ladies as well as in the middle of my age group.  Things were fun!  I was most proud of our bike as we went under an hour and we had thought we would need a few more minutes for that.  I'll post more details once results are posted as I didn't write down my splits, transition times, etc.  I give my friend a lot of credit since she stayed with me and I KNOW she could have gone ahead.  She said the first race we do together and next time we will do our own race.  Awesome support!  I'm going to try and post a pic - I'll see how that goes.......

Congratulations on your race Elena! Is that champagne? 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's training group - FULL!! Rss Feed  

of 32