BT Development Mentor Program Archives » amschrod's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2010-06-24 5:34 PM
in reply to: #2940036

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: amschrod's mentor group - FULL
Hey everyone, since Bill and Scott have their first tris this weekend, I thought I would share a few last minute thoughts.

All the training is done, so now it is time to go out there and put all that training to good use. Have fun, soak up all the atmosphere, and tell us all about it when you are done.

I mentioned before about getting there early. I like to use that time to really familiarize myself with transition, and also to relax a little and visualize having a good race. It's also good to have plenty of time to visit the porta potties because there are usually lines

The swim start is where some first timers (and experienced triathletes!) can run into a little trouble, so I have a couple of suggestions that work for me. Get into the water a little early, get used to the feel of the water, get your face in it, and swim some to warm up. The most common mistake for first timers is going out too fast. I like to start out nice and easy, trying for nice slow smooth strokes with a good glide. If you go out too fast, it is possible to get out of breath, lose your rhythm, and spend the rest of the swim struggling. You don't want that. You want the swim to be nice and smooth, and finish it with your heart rate and breathing under control.

Some people are concerned with contact in the swim. Honestly, it's never really been an issue for me. Sure, I get bumped, and bump some people, but it has never been a big deal. If you are concerned, you can start back a little and to the outside, and wait for everyone to get going for a few seconds before you start.

On the the last half mile of the bike, I like to stretch out a little. I stand some, and also like to use a little easier gear and increase my cadence a little.

On the run, don't forget that the funny feeling in your legs should go away within a half mile or so.

Don't forget to acknowledge and thank as many volunteers as possible. It's a tough job, and we couldn't race without them.

When you see a photographer smile or at least try to not make a stupid face like I do EVERY time

Most of all, HAVE FUN!!!

Anthony

2010-06-25 1:43 PM
in reply to: #2774068

User image

NH
Great points all around Anthony.  I failed the "get there early" message last weekend and it stinks.  You're all hyped up trying to set transition up and you never seem to relax and get to a good place in your head.

Go get it guys, have a blast!
2010-06-25 4:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Thanks you guys!  Looking forward to having fun.  Just finished a swim/run workout.  While I was swimming I kept thinking about what you just said.  Not going out too strong and to maintain my own rhytym/pace.  I would like to attempt a draft in the swim, but we will see.  I am excited/nervous and keep telling myself to just have fun with it. 

I still feel as though I could use more training, but I believe I would feel this way no matter what.  Thanks again for all your tips, techniques, and inspirations.  We are taking our bikes over tomorrow at 12:30pm to drop off at transition and packet pick up.  Looking forward to writing a race report...Enjoy your race also Anthony and Bill.  Take care and good luck!
2010-06-28 4:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
I survived...the race was awesome!  My time 2:09, as of now they have not posted our split times.  I am happy with that considering the weather (Hot and Humid).  I had a time in my head of 2 - 2:15.  My best would have been under 2, but now I have a bench mark.

I am off to work early and will try to do the race report at work, whats another report to write, especially one that I want to write about.  I will say this... the race was 3H's (Hilly, Hot, and Humid) it seemed hotter and more humid then I was use to, but also I had not swam before biking and running. 

How did you guys do?  I hope everyone had a good weekend and I look forward to seeing your reports.
2010-06-28 9:29 AM
in reply to: #2947430

User image

Expert
scott1223 - 2010-06-28 5:33 AM I survived...the race was awesome!  My time 2:09, as of now they have not posted our split times.  I am happy with that considering the weather (Hot and Humid).  I had a time in my head of 2 - 2:15.  My best would have been under 2, but now I have a bench mark.

I am off to work early and will try to do the race report at work, whats another report to write, especially one that I want to write about.  I will say this... the race was 3H's (Hilly, Hot, and Humid) it seemed hotter and more humid then I was use to, but also I had not swam before biking and running.

Congratulations triathlete!!! Great job!! I am really looking forward to hearing all about it.

Anthony
2010-06-28 9:34 AM
in reply to: #2947837

User image

Expert
My race went very well. About a minute faster than same race last year, and a new Oly PR for me. Very good considering my training hasn't been as good as last year. Since my bike volume has been a little low, I really started to fade about mile 3 of the run, but I sucked it up and pushed myself mentally to finish strong. Didn't want to have to tell you all that I wimped out at the finish, so thanks for the inspiration everyone

Hopefully I will get time to do my RR tonight.

Anthony

Edited by amschrod 2010-06-28 9:36 AM

2010-06-28 1:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Great Job Anthony!  I just finished my RR.  I am taking today off and will do a light run or bike tomorrow.  Looking at Lums Pond maybe this Aug.  I have heard the course is flat...YEAH
2010-06-29 11:05 AM

User image

NH
Great race Anthony.  That's a smoking swim.
2010-06-29 11:29 AM

User image

NH
Anthony, a while back you mentioned riding in any kind of weather, so hopefully you've encountered this and can give me a few tips (or anyone else can obviously chime in as well!)

This Friday I plan a long bike in the morning where I leave home and meet the clan as they drive up to our cottage.  The problem is the temp is expected to be a bout 50 when I start and 70-75 when I finish.  I'll be wearing some clothes at the beginning which I will need to shed as the ride goes on, mainly my jacket.  What do you do with the extra clothes when you take them off?
2010-06-29 5:28 PM
in reply to: #2950737

User image

Expert
Thanks for the kind words! Except for the low tide and the rocks I really enjoyed the race. My scratched foot is a little sore but I was able to run on it today with no problem.

Really a great weekend. My first tri of the season, plus Bill and Scott completed their first tris, and did really well. Hope you don't mind, but I bragged about you 2 a little to my employees at our morning meeting today.

Anthony
2010-06-29 5:37 PM
in reply to: #2950737

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-06-29 12:29 PM Anthony, a while back you mentioned riding in any kind of weather, so hopefully you've encountered this and can give me a few tips (or anyone else can obviously chime in as well!)

This Friday I plan a long bike in the morning where I leave home and meet the clan as they drive up to our cottage.  The problem is the temp is expected to be a bout 50 when I start and 70-75 when I finish.  I'll be wearing some clothes at the beginning which I will need to shed as the ride goes on, mainly my jacket.  What do you do with the extra clothes when you take them off?

I have  a Pearl Izumi cycling jacket that folds up small enough so that I can stuff it in the middle back pocket of a cycling jersey. I also have a vest by Pearl Izumi made of the same material, so it is even smaller. I wear that a lot with arm warmers on cool mornings so that when it gets warm I roll up the arm warmers and stick one in each side back pocket of my jersey, with the vest in the middle pocket. It looks a little lumpy with all that stuff in your pockets, but it isn't uncomfortable..

For my legs I like either leg warmers, or thin tights that I can wear over my tri shorts. When I get warm and take them off I can roll them really tight and they will fit in a spare water bottle cage. I have a water bottle cage on my down tube which I use all the time for a bottle, and another cage on my seat tube which I hardly ever use, so I just stick the tights in there.

Hope that is of some help.

Anthony

2010-06-29 7:39 PM

User image

Wilmington NC
great race Anthony!  Hope all is well with everyone.  I have been off the grid for a while but hope to be back for good now!  Had a nice 3 mile run this am, very slow but felt good to get out there.  I cant stand being so slow right now but I will only get faster if I run more consistantly, need to get out there more!!  Thanks for being an inspiration guys!
2010-06-29 7:57 PM

User image

Wilmington NC
2010-06-30 5:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Anthony, No problem about talking about us...I mentioned you to a couple of the guys I did our Tri with...I was telling them about your race and well you did.   Great Job!

Getting back on track...Looking at another sprint, we have been talking about Lums Pond (Del.), but the family and I will be in the Outer Banks, NC that week.  We are looking at the Osprey Sprint in Oct.  I am hoping that one will work out for our next race. 
2010-06-30 8:10 AM

User image

NH
Thanks for the advice Anthony, I'll try the middle pocket.  I don't have arm or leg warmers, I need another birthday to ask for some more stuff!  This never ends.

I brag about you guys all the time, so it better be ok! 
2010-06-30 8:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
I just talked to a friend, who did the Eagleman 70.3 Cambridge, MD.  He said I need to work more on my bike.  I should have put more time on the bike, which he said would have helped my run...What do you guys think???  I am good with that. I would much rather ride than run, but I feel I need more running distances with sprints. 

I am looking at signing up for the Osprey Sprint, Snow Hill, MD.  Oct. 2

2010-07-01 1:19 PM
in reply to: #2954662

User image

NH
scott1223 - 2010-06-30 9:16 PM I just talked to a friend, who did the Eagleman 70.3 Cambridge, MD.  He said I need to work more on my bike.  I should have put more time on the bike, which he said would have helped my run...What do you guys think???  I am good with that. I would much rather ride than run, but I feel I need more running distances with sprints. 

There is no doubt that riding more will help your run.  However, a key component to a tri, even a sprint, is learning to pace.  If you hammer as hard as possible on the bike, you won't have anything left for the run.  This doesn't matter how fit you are or the race distance.  As you get more fit you can certainly hit the bike harder in a race, but you can't go all out.  The longer the race, the more you have to hold back on the swim and bike in order to run well, but the concept stays the same.
2010-07-06 2:32 PM

User image

NH
How was everyone's long weekend?  I got in some great rides and a nice run in the heat wave.  I learned I need to swim more in the wetsuit.
2010-07-06 5:13 PM
in reply to: #2956339

User image

Expert
Hey folks, I actually wrote this reply last week, but some how I never clicked "submit". You know how it is with us old folks and this new fangled technology

wbayek - 2010-07-01 2:19 PM
scott1223 - 2010-06-30 9:16 PM I just talked to a friend, who did the Eagleman 70.3 Cambridge, MD.  He said I need to work more on my bike.  I should have put more time on the bike, which he said would have helped my run...What do you guys think???  I am good with that. I would much rather ride than run, but I feel I need more running distances with sprints. 

There is no doubt that riding more will help your run.  However, a key component to a tri, even a sprint, is learning to pace.  If you hammer as hard as possible on the bike, you won't have anything left for the run.  This doesn't matter how fit you are or the race distance.  As you get more fit you can certainly hit the bike harder in a race, but you can't go all out.  The longer the race, the more you have to hold back on the swim and bike in order to run well, but the concept stays the same.

Absolutely correct on all the points, Warren; I couldn't agree with you more. It's kinda funny that we call a race that lasts somewhere between 1 or 2 hours a "sprint".  It's still an endurance event, so you can't really sprint the whole thing.

I just want to add that it does take some time to build that fitness, so train smart, be patient, and you will be amazed at the progress you will make.

Anthony
2010-07-07 5:34 AM
in reply to: #2956339

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
wbayek - 2010-07-01 2:19 PM

Thanks Warren,  I will say that I thought I had something left in the tank for the run...but as I quickly found out that the tank went empty fast on the first climb and went dry when I hit the major hill.  I was actually surprised at my swim time, I thought I was swimming slower.  I have learned alot from this race and my training to this point.  There is still lots to learn and I know I can count on you guys for the answers.  Thanks!

Edited by scott1223 2010-07-07 5:36 AM
2010-07-07 5:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD

Some of the guys in my office were very interested in my race.  So much so 3 of them also signed up for the Osprey Tri in Oct.  Two of the guys I did the Columbia race with also signed up for the Osprey Tri.  It is a shorter sprint and FLAT!!!.   Looking forward to racing in Oct. 

Okay so back to training and the questions will being...

Will interval training for running make you faster??  Adding sprints during a run or just doing a set of sprints as a workout?  I guess that would go for swimming also correct??

I will try to post some pics of my race.  Great to have family support during the race and after.  Hope everyone had a safe and happy 4th.   I see most of us on the eastcoast are experiencing a major heat wave...stay cool

2010-07-07 11:17 AM
in reply to: #2965049

User image

NH
Scott, awesome job as a tri ambassador!

Racing and learning is what the beginning is all about.  I've learned a ton in each of my sprints.  And a flat course is fun!  Hills and heat are a tough combo as you learned.

I'm new and not very fast, but here's my 2 cents:

Intervals for running will definitely help with speed, but be careful.  Running is by FAR the most dangerous of our sports in terms of injury potential.  Doing too much speed work running is a huge reason for injuries.  Depending on your running background, simply running more will make you faster for quite a while. 

Many running coaches say no more than 10-20% of your miles should be speed work.  That said, there are lots of ways to incorporate speed work.  Adding sprints during a run is often called strides, though typically you don't really sprint.  I try to add some toward the end of my long run.  Basically just pick up the pace until you are running pretty hard, but not all out, and stay at that pace for 20-30 seconds.  Then go back to your normal pace.

I don't know too many triathletes who do actual sprint workouts, but certainly intervals like quarters and half miles.  As a long course guy, my speed workout is usually a 10k where the first 5k is at marathon pace and then the second 5k is at threshold pace.  Or I do three 1-mile repeats at my 5k race pace, with full recovery between. 

Remember, as Anthony said, we call it a "sprint" but it's still a ~90 minute event!  Pacing will always be important.

I get my pacing through a 5k all out effort and then plug my numbers into this website.  It's great for training paces and running info (you don't have to fill in your email).
2010-07-07 11:27 AM
in reply to: #2965049

User image

Expert
scott1223 - 2010-07-07 6:46 AM

Some of the guys in my office were very interested in my race.  So much so 3 of them also signed up for the Osprey Tri in Oct.  Two of the guys I did the Columbia race with also signed up for the Osprey Tri.  It is a shorter sprint and FLAT!!!.   Looking forward to racing in Oct.

That is very cool! Great job motivating some of your coworkers. 

Okay so back to training and the questions will being...

Will interval training for running make you faster??  Adding sprints during a run or just doing a set of sprints as a workout?  I guess that would go for swimming also correct??

I would say it is most likely too soon for you to really add speedwork to your running. Most people would only recommend it after you are regularly running 25 miles per week. A common expression goes something like this: Speedwork is icing on the cake, and you have to bake your cake first.  There is a danger of injury if you try to add intervals into your training without an adequate base.

To build your base I like to follow the 10% rule, adding 10% to your volume weekly with 3 weeks of building followed by a shorter recovery week. Most of your running should be easy; zone 2 if you do HR training, or if not, you should be able to have a conversation with complete sentences. I also like to keep my long run at about 30-40% of my total weekly volume.

For my own speedwork, I prefer tempo runs. 4 or 5 miles with a mile warm up, 2 or 3 miles at a faster pace, slower than my 10K race pace but faster than my half mary race pace, then a 1 mile cool down. The tempo pace ends up at about 8:30, while my regular training pace is 9:30 to 10:00. I do that maybe once a month, and also usually in the week before a race.

I may be a little overly cautious, but I keep getting a little faster every year, and I have avoided injury.

Swimming and biking are definitely different because the chance of injury is much lower, plus you can recover quicker from a hard ride or swim than you can from a hard run, so you can add intervals anytime.  I keep my interval training pretty simple because if it is too complex it takes away some of the fun of training for me. Swimming I usually throw in a couple of hard 100's after warming up, but if you want to do more, the training plans here have some good swim workouts, or you could check out swimplan.com

I also keep my biking simple. On my weekday shorter rides I have a lot of short hills and if I'm in the mood, I will hammer them. Or sometimes I will hammer a whole short ride if I am feeling ambitious.

I will try to post some pics of my race.  Great to have family support during the race and after.  Hope everyone had a safe and happy 4th.   I see most of us on the eastcoast are experiencing a major heat wave...stay cool

Would really like to see some pictures. Very nice having your family there.

It sure has been hot! Already 80 for my ride at 7:30 this morning. I am glad there is plenty of shade on my roads!

Anthony

2010-07-07 11:33 AM
in reply to: #2965790

User image

Expert
Warren, not only do you run faster than me, you type faster as well

Anthony
2010-07-07 1:25 PM
in reply to: #2965822

User image

NH
amschrod - 2010-07-07 12:33 PM Warren, not only do you run faster than me, you type faster as well

Anthony

Or I just have no life!  Have you decided on a HIM yet?  I'm doing the Timberman sprint and our cottage is 3 miles down the road from the start. 

That weekend is the end of my summer vacation, but I'd try to get over there for the Sunday half if you do it.  I'd offer you to come for the weekend and experience the Bayek chaos, but I don't know if a Mets or Jets fan would be allowed!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » amschrod's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24