BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BHannahs's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2010-07-01 9:13 AM
in reply to: #2780242

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: BHannahs's Group - FULL!
Dave and Adam -  My thoughts and prayers are with you both.  Familiy illnesses can be so hard. 

Brian, Dave and Adam -
Thanks for the encouragement. My cycling 'coach' says I need more practice riding in a group, what better way to get it then signing up for more races.  I love the thrill of competition, I just don't have a group to ride with on weekends until I get a little better.  Since I'm the new kid on the 'bike', I'm slower than the others and I can't ride as far.  So, a 10 miler sounded like a great idea.  A little expensive for a training run, but hey, I get another t-shirt!  

I was going to sign up for a 45 mile Pedal and paddle, but he said I wasn't ready.  My longest ride to date has been 23.5 miles.  So he thought it was too far.  But I'm going to plan on doing it next year.  It's a 45 mile bike ride and you stop at each of 23 pools in the town and swim a lap.  Goodness gracious, talk about transition practice!   

2010-07-01 9:25 AM
in reply to: #2955440

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
BHannahs - 2010-07-01 9:59 AM

DaisyzMom - 2010-07-01 5:54 AM Ok, I admit, I have a little problem. When it comes to doing things I have two modes.  Procrastinate or go for it.  Calling in a little bit to see if there is still room in a rpint tri in my hometown this weekend.  It's a 300 yard downstream river swim, a 10 mile bike ride and a 5K run on one of those rails to trails program 'passages'.  I hope I can get in, great practice and a great way to make myself train this weekend. 

-Carly

It sounds like races and scheduled group training might be your best motivator - it's great when you can identify what gets you going.  Sign up for the race, use it as a social training day, and have a great time!

Nothing like a dead line (race) to make you motivated! Last year after I did my tri I got pretty lazy and my training just slipped away. I signed up yesterday for a sprint in Oct hopefully that will keep me focused for a few more months.
2010-07-01 9:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
Dave,
Sorry to hear about your grandmother. Cancer is really tough on everyone my father passed away last year from it.

Brian,
I think I've learned that there are things I can and can't change and no matter what life just goes on. I always feel better after a training session. It's the clearest my mind gets during the day - so yeah I'll be out there!

Carly,
I think you are crazy - but in a good way Laughing! Keep signing up for races it's the best way to stay interested and motivated in the sport.
2010-07-01 9:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
Just went to my training log page and saw this green box on my calender - I said what the......Oh man it's my race in a week and a half. Jeez I kind'a havn't thought about it UNTIL NOW!
2010-07-01 9:51 AM
in reply to: #2955588

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

acv - 2010-07-01 7:39 AM Just went to my training log page and saw this green box on my calender - I said what the......Oh man it's my race in a week and a half. Jeez I kind'a havn't thought about it UNTIL NOW!

Relax, Adam....  you'll be fine.  You can use it as a training day or a fun race.    Funny how those green squares can sneak up on you when they are at the beginning of next month's calendar, right? 

Edited by BHannahs 2010-07-01 9:55 AM
2010-07-01 9:53 AM
in reply to: #2955501

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

DaisyzMom - 2010-07-01 7:13 AM  

I was going to sign up for a 45 mile Pedal and paddle, but he said I wasn't ready.  My longest ride to date has been 23.5 miles.  So he thought it was too far.  But I'm going to plan on doing it next year.  It's a 45 mile bike ride and you stop at each of 23 pools in the town and swim a lap.  Goodness gracious, talk about transition practice!   

Okay - maybe it's the sick/crazy triathlete in me, but this sounds like an AWESOME time.  I have visions of people toward the end just trying to ride their bikes through pools to avoid getting off and back on.  Definitely sign up for next year!! 

2010-07-01 3:44 PM
in reply to: #2955644

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

Is this weird?

I emailed the RD about wearing your number on your body during the bike leg. I was assuming that you didn't need to wear the number on your body during the bike leg. I even mentioned having had the number pinned on my shirt last year and the fact I was using a racebelt this year.

They said they would like you to wear the number on the bike bike leg as well as the run. It's just adds another thing for me to do during T1. Is this unusal in the races you have done?

2010-07-01 4:13 PM
in reply to: #2956723

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
acv - 2010-07-01 3:44 PM

Is this weird?

I emailed the RD about wearing your number on your body during the bike leg. I was assuming that you didn't need to wear the number on your body during the bike leg. I even mentioned having had the number pinned on my shirt last year and the fact I was using a racebelt this year.

They said they would like you to wear the number on the bike bike leg as well as the run. It's just adds another thing for me to do during T1. Is this unusal in the races you have done?

I have had it both ways, the last race they didn't require us to wear the number on the bike, but the first one they made us wear it in both events. whats really weird is that it is the same RD and timing company Wink 
2010-07-01 4:29 PM
in reply to: #2956723

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

acv - 2010-07-01 1:44 PM

Is this weird?

Like Dave, I have seen it done both ways.  For events where they don't require it on the bike, there are numbers on your helmet, your bike frame, or both.  If they require it on the bike, no big deal.  Just put your race belt on in T1 instead of T2.  Should make T2 go really fast.   

2010-07-02 8:14 AM
in reply to: #2956802

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
BHannahs - 2010-07-01 5:29 PM

acv - 2010-07-01 1:44 PM

Is this weird?

Like Dave, I have seen it done both ways.  For events where they don't require it on the bike, there are numbers on your helmet, your bike frame, or both.  If they require it on the bike, no big deal.  Just put your race belt on in T1 instead of T2.  Should make T2 go really fast.   

They have bike frame number which are required to bo on your bike - T2 will be fast I'm just worried about T1. It's just another thing to do.

I think Monday is going to be transition practice day....Should get the wife and kids rolling there eyes

Edited by acv 2010-07-02 8:15 AM
2010-07-04 7:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
T1 and your bike shoes:

Are any off you using the rubber band trick and leaving your shoes clipped in? If so do you ride down  the road for a little bit with your feet on top of the shoes and then insert them as you pedal? This seems to work pretty well. I was wondering if anyone has any other useful tips for doing this technique?

Edited by acv 2010-07-04 7:09 AM

2010-07-04 9:30 AM

User image

Regular
Adam-  I'm sorry, I can't helpp you there, that is way over my head right now. 

Tri yesterday - oh my....that's all I can say!  (Ok, you twisted my arm, I'll elaborate!)
First off -  It was a little chilly at 7:30am when i got there to set up transitions and register.  No bike racks(is that common?)  A couple of tri bikes, mostly road, and several mountain bikes....so I figure, good mix of people and abilities. 

Get registered, get my chip and band and start to head off to warm up.  Finally they call a meeting and give a few notes about the swim(didn't mention anything about the bike or the run....)  Take a commenorative group picture and we head to the start.  I'm a strong swimmer sao I head towards the front and I notice a few people in wetsuits.  Thinking it's July in a river, can't be that cold, right?  WRONG!!!  It was take your breath away freezing cold in the water and I am chattering sitting there thinking, I can do anything for a few minutes right?  SO I finally am off, getting kicked and such by some guy in a wetsuit and aqua shoes.  Who won't let me pass him, so I finally get right beside him and it's so shallow, he stands up and starts running on the rocks and steps on my hand.  OUCH!  So 4 minutes and 20 seconds later I'm running on the shore for the timing mat....WOO HOO!  I made it through the 'icy cold river'(any Dora fans out there will understand!) and now I'm heading to my bike.  Can't quite make myself run, as I'm too cold to move really...so I kind of half jog up the hill, across the street to my bike.  

I like the transition area I picked, it was sort of in the middle, but closer to the timing mat and I had lots of empty slots around me, so I had plenty of room without bumping into a lot of people.  Transition goes ok, but DH thinks I was moving slow, finally walk my bike to the timing mat, hop on and off I go!  

I knew this was going to be a brutal uphill course, and I was ready to take my time and really think of it as a training ride.  So, I get going on the first part and it's a lot less hilly than I  remember the town being, and I'm doing ok...I make it past the long gradual up hill, miles 3-5, and then through the brutal uphill steep climbs of mile 6-7.5 and I've got a hort little downhill that wrapped around behind the high school  when I notice a kid at the bottom of the hill changing a tire.   Just about that time, I remember there is a wide grate across the road at the bottom of the hill I'm coming down.(Would probably have been worth a mention at the meeting right?  And is this common to have road hazards on courses?
Anyway, two flat tires, one spare....I was out with 2.5 miles of a 10 mile ride and only had one more uphill to go....

SO, I now have 1 flat tire and one questionable fixed tire. 

SO disappointed and upset!

2010-07-04 12:55 PM
in reply to: #2960455

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
DaisyzMom - 2010-07-04 10:30 AM Adam-  I'm sorry, I can't helpp you there, that is way over my head right now. 

Tri yesterday - oh my....that's all I can say!  (Ok, you twisted my arm, I'll elaborate!)
First off -  It was a little chilly at 7:30am when i got there to set up transitions and register.  No bike racks(is that common?)  A couple of tri bikes, mostly road, and several mountain bikes....so I figure, good mix of people and abilities. 

Get registered, get my chip and band and start to head off to warm up.  Finally they call a meeting and give a few notes about the swim(didn't mention anything about the bike or the run....)  Take a commenorative group picture and we head to the start.  I'm a strong swimmer sao I head towards the front and I notice a few people in wetsuits.  Thinking it's July in a river, can't be that cold, right?  WRONG!!!  It was take your breath away freezing cold in the water and I am chattering sitting there thinking, I can do anything for a few minutes right?  SO I finally am off, getting kicked and such by some guy in a wetsuit and aqua shoes.  Who won't let me pass him, so I finally get right beside him and it's so shallow, he stands up and starts running on the rocks and steps on my hand.  OUCH!  So 4 minutes and 20 seconds later I'm running on the shore for the timing mat....WOO HOO!  I made it through the 'icy cold river'(any Dora fans out there will understand!) and now I'm heading to my bike.  Can't quite make myself run, as I'm too cold to move really...so I kind of half jog up the hill, across the street to my bike.  

I like the transition area I picked, it was sort of in the middle, but closer to the timing mat and I had lots of empty slots around me, so I had plenty of room without bumping into a lot of people.  Transition goes ok, but DH thinks I was moving slow, finally walk my bike to the timing mat, hop on and off I go!  

I knew this was going to be a brutal uphill course, and I was ready to take my time and really think of it as a training ride.  So, I get going on the first part and it's a lot less hilly than I  remember the town being, and I'm doing ok...I make it past the long gradual up hill, miles 3-5, and then through the brutal uphill steep climbs of mile 6-7.5 and I've got a hort little downhill that wrapped around behind the high school  when I notice a kid at the bottom of the hill changing a tire.   Just about that time, I remember there is a wide grate across the road at the bottom of the hill I'm coming down.(Would probably have been worth a mention at the meeting right?  And is this common to have road hazards on courses?
Anyway, two flat tires, one spare....I was out with 2.5 miles of a 10 mile ride and only had one more uphill to go....

Carly,
OMG thats a really tough day! Chalk it up as an "experience" and just look forward to your next tri. Way to suck it up and do the swim!

One tip that I picked up was to get in the water before the race so your body can adjust a little to the water. In really cold water just diving in can cause a little shock to your system if your not used to it.

It's great that you did it keep doing them!

PS All the races around here have bike racks and at most of the races there are hundreds (500+)of people racing so racks are mandatory in order to fit everyone.

Edited by acv 2010-07-04 12:56 PM
2010-07-04 5:41 PM
in reply to: #2960698

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
acv - 2010-07-04 12:55 PM
DaisyzMom - 2010-07-04 10:30 AM Adam-  I'm sorry, I can't helpp you there, that is way over my head right now. 

Carly,
OMG thats a really tough day! Chalk it up as an "experience" and just look forward to your next tri. Way to suck it up and do the swim!

One tip that I picked up was to get in the water before the race so your body can adjust a little to the water. In really cold water just diving in can cause a little shock to your system if your not used to it.

It's great that you did it keep doing them!

PS All the races around here have bike racks and at most of the races there are hundreds (500+)of people racing so racks are mandatory in order to fit everyone.

Sounds like a rough day, but hey, it was a triathlon, so it couldn't be all that bad. Sounds like the guy with the aqua socks and wetsuit was quite a character, I have run into a couple guys like that. Had one guy telling me to hurry up on the bike and get out of his way, so i could pass him on the first incline.

I am with adam on the water temp issue, I get in at least to acclimate and if i have a wetsuit on, let some water in to get it over with. that sucks with the bike, We had a similar issue this year, they resurfaced the road and it was uneven on a steep decline, several guys went down hard and fast, not cool, and yeah, you are 100% right, pre-race mention should have happened.   

Hope you are happy you tried, and  your next one will be better.
2010-07-06 7:48 AM
in reply to: #2960922

User image

Regular
dmwill37 - 2010-07-04 6:41 PM
...Hope you are happy you tried, and  your next one will be better.

I am happy I tried.  It was a fun day and my grandma(who is 79) got to come out and see me do something.  I think this will be the last tri that I don't at least rive the course ahead of time.  I will definitely be looking for the pre-rides to make sure I know about stuff like that in the future!
2010-07-06 8:39 AM
in reply to: #2962703

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
DaisyzMom - 2010-07-06 7:48 AM
dmwill37 - 2010-07-04 6:41 PM
...Hope you are happy you tried, and  your next one will be better.

I am happy I tried.  It was a fun day and my grandma(who is 79) got to come out and see me do something.  I think this will be the last tri that I don't at least rive the course ahead of time.  I will definitely be looking for the pre-rides to make sure I know about stuff like that in the future!

Awesome that your grandmother could come see you, that is fantastic! My grandmother is very ill and cannot come, but my mother told me she has told everyone about her grandson the triathlete, even mentioning my upcoming triathlon, running and bicycling races. I had no idea she was that interested, but apparently she is very proud, as i am sure your grandmother is as well. 

Good job and keep on keepinon! 

2010-07-06 9:05 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

Sorry you had such a rough day, Carly.  Hopefully, at the very least, it was a learning experience and you'll be able to apply that experience to your next events.  I've got to give you huge props for toughing out that swim, though - WOW! 

2010-07-06 1:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to pass on a quick gear review (hopefully next week I’ll has some time for a full review). It’s for the Nathan Speed 2 hydration belt. I’ve been searching for a way to carry a decent amount of water on my runs and this belt has worked out really well.

Pros:

• Carries 20oz of water
  • No bounce when running
  • Easy in and out of the bottles
  • Very comfortable and adjustable
  • Very well made
  • Split pocket in front w/ key retainer

Cons:

• For longer runs you may need more water (see Speed 4R)

Conclusion:

The bottles are very easy to remove and store on the fly. I think this is due mostly because the holster is plastic so nothing snags when sliding the bottles back in. This belt also features an elastic waist band with Velcro adjustment. All in all this makes it very comfortable in use. If you need more water they have the 4 bottle version the 4R.

For more info:
http://www.nathansports.com/our-products/hydrationnutrition/racespeed-series/speed-2

Edited by acv 2010-07-06 1:58 PM
2010-07-08 7:03 AM
in reply to: #2963885

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
Today I fit into a size 34 waist shorts. Honestly I can't remember the last time I was able to fit into a 34. I would guess it was back in high school about 20 years ago.

This is a nice fringe benefit of doing tri's.  Cool

Edited by acv 2010-07-08 7:52 AM
2010-07-08 8:18 AM
in reply to: #2967604

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
acv - 2010-07-08 7:03 AM Today I fit into a size 34 waist shorts. Honestly I can't remember the last time I was able to fit into a 34. I would guess it was back in high school about 20 years ago.

This is a nice fringe benefit of doing tri's.  Cool

That is very, very, very awesome!!!! You should be very proud of yourself. I have come down from a size 40 to a 35/36 (depending on the brand). It feels great doesnt it, keep up the good work!!!
2010-07-08 8:36 AM

User image

Regular
Ok, so I'm sure by now you all know what I'm about to say.....
Yes, you guessed it, I signed up for another race.  That stupid DNF is haunting me and now I want to fix it.  My MIL is going to go with me this time.  Jason(who doesn't seem to be too active here) is on the list to race.  Anyway, it's a pool swim rolling ride, flat run easy course. (Not sure who's standards determine any tri to be easy....but I'm not going to argue with a flat run!)

Adam and Dave - Congrats on the weightloss.  I love it when smaller clothes fit.  I am pulling things out of the closet that I haven't worn in YEARS!!!  I'm officially smaller than when I got married, and I am only 16 pounds away from being smaller than when I met my husband.  (And 21 pounds from goal!!!)

2010-07-08 8:59 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

Adam, Dave, and Carly - Congratulations on the weight loss and fitting into the smaller clothes - that's a great feeling, and it is so satisfying to have to shop for new clothes because you have 'undergrown' the ones you are wearing!  Not only is it fun to look at smaller sizes than you are used to, but the feeling of looking good in a wider variety of styles is gratifying - great job!!! 

Edited by BHannahs 2010-07-08 9:02 AM
2010-07-08 9:01 AM
in reply to: #2967794

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

DaisyzMom - 2010-07-08 6:36 AM Ok, so I'm sure by now you all know what I'm about to say.....
Yes, you guessed it, I signed up for another race.  That stupid DNF is haunting me and now I want to fix it.  My MIL is going to go with me this time.  Jason(who doesn't seem to be too active here) is on the list to race.  Anyway, it's a pool swim rolling ride, flat run easy course. (Not sure who's standards determine any tri to be easy....but I'm not going to argue with a flat run!)

Adam and Dave - Congrats on the weightloss.  I love it when smaller clothes fit.  I am pulling things out of the closet that I haven't worn in YEARS!!!  I'm officially smaller than when I got married, and I am only 16 pounds away from being smaller than when I met my husband.  (And 21 pounds from goal!!!)

That's great news, Carly!!  You already have your race day bad luck out of the way, so the next one will be smooth sailing.  Go out and take the frustration of the DNF out on that 'easy' course!!!

2010-07-08 1:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

Found a good you tube video on transitions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brHcsqKM_mo

One tip from the video which I thought was pretty cleaver was to take off your swim cap and goggles and keep them in your hand as you pull your hand through your wetsuit you just leave them deposited inside the sleeve of the suit. What this means is by the time you get to your bike your goggles, cap and half your wetsuit can be off.

2010-07-09 11:53 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

Good luck this weekend, Adam.  Finally time to put the taper madness aside and just race.  Have fun!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BHannahs's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 21