BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2011-01-18 6:59 PM
in reply to: #3304856

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
Subject: RE: BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED
croixfan - 2011-01-17 3:44 PM OK guys, here's the deal on the "Time Crunched Triathlete".  Carmichael's put together a program that has you working out 4 days a week (Tu, Th, Sa, Su).  Most days involve two of the three disciplines.  The key is that if you ride for an hour, you use around 1/3 to 1/2 of the time to do interval work of some sort or another.  Basically you are doing your endurance miles with intervals thrown in.  As this is tough on the body, you get three days of rest each week.  The time is very modest -- for the sprint program it's a 6 week routine with times being 4:05, 4:30, 5:00, 5:15, 5:30, 3:30 + race.  He's also got a modest strength routine highlighted at the back of the book.  There's a bunch of info in the book on the why's of training and the diet.  He emphasizes that the program is designed for sprint and olympic distances -- less than 3 hour events.  For longer events, he shares that you need to put in the time.

So tomorrow I'm going to give it a go and start the six week routine.  I'll be doing the strength routine on the off days and will also likely toss in some "easy" swims on these days to work on my form / build my base in that discipline.  I'll be posting the actual work outs in my logs so you can follow along.

I'll try and write a more thorough review of the book and post on the general board in the next little bit.

Let the adventure begin!

UPDATE -- Carmichael is a sadist.  Just went through two cycles of the strength routine (suppose to do three).  The routine is very well thought out and exercises muscles that are part of s/b/r + helps with the flexibility.  Being as I'm still in the learning phase they were quite challenging.  More tomorrow after the swim....

Interesting... This programme seems very different from what I’ve seen so far.  Sorry Curt, this may be a very silly question, but I don’t understand what the times refer to when you say “The time is very modest -- for the sprint program it's a 6 week routine with times being 4:05, 4:30, 5:00, 5:15, 5:30, 3:30 + race.”  Could you explain please?  I’d be interested to know more about it.

Thanks!

2011-01-18 7:30 PM
in reply to: #3256072

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico

Chris -  I read the same about the kick not being so important… where was it?  Didn’t Josh write it at the beginning?

Josh -  Glad you made it!  

Mike -  You got back on track in no time... and planning for a HIM. Good!

Jackie – Wow!  58 K and 96.5 K!!  And then you ran 8K.  You are really fit!    How long has it taken you to get to ride such distances?  I’m tired just reading it… You are my hero.

Alex -  You’ve made a lot of progress!  And going for HIM!

Mountain Dan – I hope you managed to run between errands today.

Marcus – Thank you.  I was up at 3am today. :-S  but I’m hoping to be able to swim again tonight.  Just a little one…

Ail -  Thanks! I’m still not well yet.  Since swimming is good for my ankle I’ll concentrate on that for the moment.

Sterling -  I agree with you.  Swimming is definitely technique driven.  I can swim faster than tall and slim men who have less technique than I do.  But I still have to correct some things and get back in shape.  I’m so out of shape that’s unbelievable.

I’m planning to do a couple of Sprints, run a 5 K and a 10 K.

Going for a short swim now before I fall asleep.  It’s been a very long day…  zzzzzzz

Edited by itziaol 2011-01-18 10:36 PM
2011-01-18 7:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Itzia -- Times are hours and minutes per week for the program.  Not too bad in my book.
2011-01-18 9:14 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Itzia- Great job getting in the swim. And thanks for the encouragement. The 60 mile bike was tough, but I'm lucky to have friends who coach/drag me through it.

Chris- Sounds like everyone else said what I was thinking about the swimming. Technique is everything. Don't worry about kicking a lot, just make sure your legs are not slowing you down (creating a drag). Rotating and lengthening my body is what I focus on.

MountainDan- You are totally right. I will be very jealous of everyone in north come July.

I was a little crunched for time today, so I managed to get to the gym and jump on the elliptical for 1 hour. Now I used to think the elliptical was an "easy" machine. But one of my cycling buddies joined me today and made me step it up. Tried to keep my heart rate in the 160s the whole time. It was a good workout and didn't pound my body as much as running. I think I might try and add 2 hours a week to increase my cardio in addition to the running and cycling. Also- my trainer came in the mail today!!!! So excited to try it out tomorrow.
2011-01-18 9:40 PM

Veteran
It sounds like everyone is starting to ramp it up. I don't know about you guys and gals, but I am getting excited about this season and it is only January and 3 months into my program.

I have planned various Tri events, but I am debating to attempt a marathon a month after my first HIM. Marathon is scheduled for October. What are your thoughts on this? Wait til June or July to officially make that decision? (My A race is an OLY in July.)
2011-01-18 9:40 PM

Veteran
It sounds like everyone is starting to ramp it up. I don't know about you guys and gals, but I am getting excited about this season and it is only January and 3 months into my program.

I have planned various Tri events, but I am debating to attempt a marathon a month after my first HIM. Marathon is scheduled for October. What are your thoughts on this? Wait til June or July to officially make that decision? (My A race is an OLY in July.)

2011-01-18 9:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Unfortunately work ran late and with the ice build up on the car on the way home, I skipped the pool.  But....  I did get in the first bike workout.  10 minute warm up, 6 minute push, 4 minute easy, repeat two additional times, 9 minutes easy.  While it was not exactly enjoyable, it did feel good working through it.  Only problem is that my legs were already killing me from the strength set the previous evening.

While it's only one day, I'm very optimistic about the program.  It looks to be compact with "pushes" of sustainable length.  More to follow in the coming days....

2011-01-18 9:55 PM
in reply to: #3306888

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
otisbrown - 2011-01-18 2:06 PM Mike D.  Congrats on losing 7 inches. That is very impressive for less than 1 year at it.  Keep it going.

I will run a few 5ks this year, believe my town hosts one memorial day weekend, one 5k at the shore in june (beachwood), possibly a duathon in june and then a sprint my town hosts in august.  Both the duo and sprint will be firsts for me.  I wanted to do the duo to get my feet wet, literally.  It is 400M swim and I think 10Mile bike ride.  I will end the year with the local T-day 5k. 

You might try and catch a tri a bit earlier in the season.  Last year I waited until late in the year for my first sprint and really would like to have had a bit more time to try another.  I actually signed up for one two weeks after the first even after nearly drowning in the first one!!!!  It's a great feeling when you finish.
2011-01-18 10:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Main goal for this season is to do a HIM in June, that will be my birthday present to myself, to finish and not die! Hopefully get some more Sprints and Oly's in throughout the season.

Managed to get a slow 6 ile run in today, it was noce running on the couple inches of new snow. Very quiet, except for the squeeking of my shoes and the fog horn in the distance. was planning on doing the masters swim tonight, unfortunately it was cancelled due to the impending ice storm, Now in full force! Did I mention that I hate ice storms? Had to settle for some strength training in the basement.

2011-01-18 10:34 PM
in reply to: #3307569

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
croixfan - 2011-01-18 7:33 PM Itzia -- Times are hours and minutes per week for the program.  Not too bad in my book.

Thanks. No, not too bad at all if you have a busy schedule.  Although it seems very intensive!  Smile

2011-01-19 6:19 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
GOOOOOOOD Morning, everyone!!!

Feel good after my run today. While out avoiding ice, puddles, snow, and potholes, I realized the half mary I plan on doing  in March will happen exactly 1 year to the day I first 'got off the couch' and started getting active.  Don't know why this hadn't occurred to me before, but the boost of enthusiasm and motivation I got from it is fantastic. Can't wait.

Hope everyone can find a good dose of enthusiasm & motivtion this AM as well!!!

2011-01-19 8:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico

Thank you Mike!  Your message is like a breath of fresh air.  I really needed that this morning.

Medium swim tonight, 400m.  Team A was at the pool last night.  I have to confess that seeing them depressed me rather than inspire me, because what they do looks so impossible to me.  But I must choose to be inspired.   

Have a wonderful day everybody!

2011-01-19 8:47 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Good Morning and Happy Wednesday.  So I have gone back over the past few pages to catch up.  Before I respond and comment to all the great questions, breakthroughs and achievements you guys have posted the past couple of weeks, I just wanted to thank you guys again for keep moving ahead during my crazy time.  Having done a mentor group twice previously, I can tell you with 100% certainty, the success of the group has nothing to do with the mentor and has everything to do with the members. 

Ok, here goes -

Jackie - Congrats on the weightloss and the new trainer.  I piece of advice so you don't start another " I fell off my trainer" threads, make sure you lock that back wheel in tight.  I feel off it once.  It's pretty embarrassing and you can hurt yourself pretty good.

Itzia - Congrats on the new bike.  That's really exciting.  I actually borrowed a bike for my first year of doing tris, so I understand the excitement of having your first new bike.  Also, congrats on the new tri group.  I know lots of people who are in clubs and they really enjoy it.  I don't know if I would do the 4am thing, but you gotta do what need to do.

Mountain Dan - Welcome back.  And again, thank you for all you do.  I hope your wife is feeling better.  Sounds like you get a pretty good workout running around all day.  Moving is moving, and it doesn't matter if it's on the bike or getting in and out of your car 10x a day.  As far as the 20 HIM training program - I did it and I enjoyed it.  I have done all my training with plans from this site, everything from 5k to IM.   I think they are really good.  I don't use a coach or pay for other plans because I can be pretty self disciplined and don't have any extenuating circumstances that needs specific training plans. 

Bill - Sponsors.  This is a tough one.  They are out there, but they tend to be for the more successful triathletes.  I also think some sponsorships have gone away the past couple of years because of the economy.  That being said, do a Google search on athlete sponsorship and there will be some that pop up.  You basically have to apply during their application period and if you meet their criteria, then they pick you.

Marcus - I agree with Sterling on the swimming stuff.  Everyone has a weak side.  When I first started, I would swim to the right all the time.  My first couple of races, I must have swam an extra 100 yds to get on track.  I know I have said this before, but it's worth repeating again.  First, slow down and focus on even strokes.  Training is your time to work on this stuff.  It doesn't matter if it takes you 5 mins to do one length of the pool.  I find using a pull buoy helps a lot because you don't have to worry about kicking and it keeps your legs high and balanced.  This is good for practicing strokes and breathing.  And second, drills, drills, drills.  They will help tremendously.

Mike D - I guess their has to be one slacker in the group JK.  Thanks for posting the IMAZ video, even though I am not in it.  I will post a link to some pictures in you guys want.  Congrats on the weight loss.  It's amazing how quickly a year can go by and how much you can accomplish.  I did my first half marathon almost to the day I started training as well.  You really have accomplished so much and an inspiration for others who want to do the same. 

Before BT eats my post, I am going to continue this on another post. 

2011-01-19 9:01 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Part 2

Ails - Spinning is a great way to build strength and endurance, in addition to changing it up.  You can really get an awesome workout in if you have the right instructor.  I have done a few classes, but not lately.  I can't seem to find the a class that fits into my schedule.

Alex - How's the computrainer? I would love to get one, but it's not in my budget, this year at least.  Have you done a course yet that you were able to do in real life and compare?

Dan N - Welcome again.

Dan 120107 - Congrats on the picking your race.  I always find I kick it up a gear training wise once I hit the submit button.  I am the type of person that needs the carrot at the end of the stick to get motivated. 

Curt - I am very anxious to hear how the new training goes.  I think the biggest obstacle we all face is find time to train.  I see a couple of different programs out there for shorter number of training hours but still getting the same results.  Please keep us posted on how it goes.

Chris - I find it frustrating as well when there are big guys just gliding effortlessly through the water. I know some folks who are big than me and swimming a 1:30/100 is an average swim.  I agree with Marcus though, I don't think kicking adds much to your speed.  If anything it just makes sure your legs are in the correct position.  Balance is the key to swimming. If you find yourself exerting too much effort, that means you have drag somewhere.  Most likely your feet.  Your body is like a see-saw in the pool.  You lift your head, your feet sink.  You want to swim downhill.  What I mean is that you almost want to over compensate on your feet to be up out of the water and your head down because it's in our nature to lift our chest and head when we swim.  Again, grab a swim buoy and do 300 - 500 yards and get a good feel on what position your body is supposed to be in. 

I hope I got everyone.  I know I still owe you guys a spreadsheet.  I am going to work on it today.  We are almost through January and everyone is doing great.  Keep it up guys. 

2011-01-19 12:30 PM

User image

Athens, GA
Glad you are out of the woods Josh.

It seems that most are planning on doing longer distances than me. I really do not plan on doing longer than a sprint tri this season, so I will not freak out over your distances. Congrats to all that are attempting the half and full Marys as well as HIM and IM.

I took a spin class today, well a Spin for Tri class. It kicked my tuches.  1h long, 1/3 on the spin bike doing intervals and hill intervals, then 1/3 on 4 stations designed to mimic swim moves (with glide pads, and ab work) the 1/3 of the time on the indoor track. OUCH I am a bit soar and tired. The plan for the 2nd workout after work of a run is definitely not happing!!!!

Hope you guys have a good day working out as well!  
2011-01-19 1:01 PM
in reply to: #3308052

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Mike, thanks for the motivation! It's awesome to have people get out in horrible weather, it gives us no excuse to not get out and get ours done too!Also that is exciting that your race is 1 year from the start of your new life, that definitely has to be a great motivator.Keep up the Great work!

2011-01-19 1:55 PM
in reply to: #3309103

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Ail - 2011-01-19 1:30 PM Glad you are out of the woods Josh.

It seems that most are planning on doing longer distances than me. I really do not plan on doing longer than a sprint tri this season, so I will not freak out over your distances. Congrats to all that are attempting the half and full Marys as well as HIM and IM.

I took a spin class today, well a Spin for Tri class. It kicked my tuches.  1h long, 1/3 on the spin bike doing intervals and hill intervals, then 1/3 on 4 stations designed to mimic swim moves (with glide pads, and ab work) the 1/3 of the time on the indoor track. OUCH I am a bit soar and tired. The plan for the 2nd workout after work of a run is definitely not happing!!!!

You might be a bit sore tomorrow.  I highly recommend getting compression tights.  They work wonders after a workout.  They basically help the blood flow better throughout your legs.  More blood = more oxygen = quicker healing, at least I think that's the way it works.  I also think the more blood flow, the more lactic acid gets flushed away, but again, I could just be making this stuff up in my head.  But it sounds good.

2011-01-19 2:28 PM
in reply to: #3308216

User image

Smithtown, Long Island, NY
Itzia, I understand where you are going from in terms of watching the "experts" and never feeling like you can do that.

I have been training martial arts for about 3-4 years. When I started I looked at the stuff the black belts were doing and was like "there's no way I can do that." I trained as hard as I could and the "experts" recognized the dedication and determination I was putting forth, and perhaps got some extra attention and guidance because it showed that I was serious. In fact, one of the black belts inspired and raced with me for my first tri last year.

In a nutshell, what I am trying to say, is show up, work hard, and use the team's experience to build your own. In no time, youu'll be the one the "newbies" are in awe of.
2011-01-19 5:37 PM
in reply to: #3309404

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
billytrek - 2011-01-19 2:28 PM Itzia, I understand where you are going from in terms of watching the "experts" and never feeling like you can do that. I have been training martial arts for about 3-4 years. When I started I looked at the stuff the black belts were doing and was like "there's no way I can do that." I trained as hard as I could and the "experts" recognized the dedication and determination I was putting forth, and perhaps got some extra attention and guidance because it showed that I was serious. In fact, one of the black belts inspired and raced with me for my first tri last year. In a nutshell, what I am trying to say, is show up, work hard, and use the team's experience to build your own. In no time, youu'll be the one the "newbies" are in awe of.

Great post!
2011-01-19 6:16 PM

Veteran
Josh, my masters coach is teaching me the same method you mentioned. Problem is I think I am lifting head to far out of water to breathe and working too hard to get back into position, almost like a teeter-totter affect while swimming. There is no way that can be good. Need to roll my head instead of lift my head.

Itzia- The only way I have found to get better at something is to play (train) against (with) someone bettter than you. As a competitor it will drive you to do your best. Sometimes better than you thought you could achieve. You seem too positive to think so negative. Work Hard, Play Harder!
2011-01-19 8:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Did the first swim work out from the time crunched program tonight.  It went very well, BUT don't know how you're suppose to do it AND the bike ride back to back!  Again, the routine that Carmichael lines up does a nice job of stretching you but not killing you.  Tomorrow calls for 45 minutes on the bike with 4 x 6 minute intervals followed by an easy 15 minute run.  Should be interesting....

2011-01-19 10:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico

Bill – Thank you so much for sharing your experience with me.  Jackie is right… it’s a great post.  I was thinking about it while I trained.  I was closer to team A tonight and had a better look at what they were doing.  You know?  You are right.  I’ll get there at some point.

Chris – Thanks, I’m positive… Just a little insecure sometimes.

Curt -  So you have to do two of the sports one after the other?  Is it like brick work?

Josh -  I used to get up at 4 to train.  But I don’t do it now since I’m training in the evening.  This week I had to travel to a course.

I swam 600m instead of the 400 I had planned.  It was easier today!  Smile

2011-01-19 10:58 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Just set up the trainer and an fairly sure I won't fall off of it. (bar is locked down ) Now if I can get my son to go to bed, I'm gonna try it out. My computer is mounted on the rear wheel, so I will be able to see my rpms.
My husband & 2 other kids get home Friday. Excited to see them and excited to run without the jogging stroller again!
2011-01-20 6:02 AM
in reply to: #3309103

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Ail - 2011-01-19 12:30 PM Glad you are out of the woods Josh.

Maybe you're the only sane one here?

Your spin class sounds like total torture, but in a fun sorta way.
2011-01-20 6:08 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Finally back in the pool today after nearly 2 weeks. Short workout, but it felt OK.  But I have a few questions for the crew:

1. Swimming -- I need a plan or at least some sort of organized workouts. The past couple months I've been hit/miss on workouts, and while I've done some long swims (up to 2500 yards continuous), mixed in drills, pyramid workouts, etc, overall it seems directionless. For this year, my goal is to do a handful of races, ranging from sprint to possible HIM. I can do the distances, but thats not really doing much to make me a better swimmer, or building a real swim fitness base. Is it?

2. Biking -- My plan for the spring was to save some $ and get a new bike. Santa (aka my wife) took care of that Christmas day. As of last night, I have the bike set up on the trainer, and even gave it a quick 10 minute check out ride last night. All is well. Now the $64k question -- what kind of workouts should I be doing? Just get on and ride? I've been so swim/run focused the past few months, I'm essentially starting over on the bike. Where do I start? 

3. Running -- no problems here, just looking forward to a nice 5 mile run in the snow tomorrow morning! Whooo hooo!

Mike 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 38