2011-01-08 3:24 PM
in reply to: #3286749

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Subject: RE: Razorxp Group Is CLOSED
gabrelsj - 2011-01-08 2:42 PM
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-01-08 11:01 AM
gabrelsj - 2011-01-08 10:51 AM i signed up for my HIM and now it feels real. i am excited to finally have a goal date.

Nice job Jason, How exciting!

which one are you doing?

gulf coast tri in panama city beach. 

how about you?

Patriot, East Freetown, MA.  I am waiting for 'excitement' to kick in, instead of total horror lol

I just did my first run with a HRM this am. My HR was up there - max - 182, av - 175. Resting rate is usually around 58- 60

2011-01-08 3:34 PM
in reply to: #3256300

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Ran 2 miles before the race as a 'warm up', then managed a 9:35 average pace for the 5k finishing in exactly 30 mins.

My new PB! Though granted, it's not the '5 minute god miles' that some of you are peeling off Wink

2011-01-08 4:01 PM
in reply to: #3286928

User image

Veteran
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-01-08 3:34 PM Ran 2 miles before the race as a 'warm up', then managed a 9:35 average pace for the 5k finishing in exactly 30 mins.

My new PB! Though granted, it's not the '5 minute god miles' that some of you are peeling off Wink

congratulations!!  that is awesome.
2011-01-08 7:37 PM
in reply to: #3286928

User image

Veteran
Mass.
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-01-08 4:34 PM Ran 2 miles before the race as a 'warm up', then managed a 9:35 average pace for the 5k finishing in exactly 30 mins.

Great job!  Keep it going!  How many weeks until the Patriot half?
2011-01-08 8:50 PM
in reply to: #3287292

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
kdevarenne - 2011-01-08 8:37 PM
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-01-08 4:34 PM Ran 2 miles before the race as a 'warm up', then managed a 9:35 average pace for the 5k finishing in exactly 30 mins.

Great job!  Keep it going!  How many weeks until the Patriot half?

23 weeks today!
2011-01-08 9:21 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

Scott how did the workout go?>?????  that would be cool if we could all skype each other through tough workouts...

Jason you are on the HIM team,, way to go. Signing up is half the battle. Now lets get you through this.. Great venue in FL.
As for you HR do you know approx what your max is??? as an example I have a low max around 175 so when Im at 157 thats a good workout.  My training partner Max is about 215 so he is barely working at 157.  You have to go with what your readings are not what others on the video are.

Awesome job Deb,  don't think anyone is this group is running 5mm.  (maybe for 1 mile but not much longer for most lol)

23 weeks wow thats coming up quickly.. Just stick to your plan....

2011-01-08 9:34 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
I just looked over the other groups and for a small group we are very active, that is so cool!!!  I hope this group is helping everyone and if not please jump in and tell me how to make it better.

Has anyone ever heard of the website eatlikeachamp.com (especially Caleb)???  I follow MMA pretty closely (have a few friends that compete) and one of the guys uses their site for his nutrition planning.  I don't have  a big problem loosing weight but I wonder if a "cleaner" diet would help with injury prevention and get as lean as possible.

2011-01-08 11:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Coldfoot, Alaska
Hello everyone. Sorry about the absence. Just found myself checking out the last few days. Probably has something to do with my crazy work schedule and no time off, but we'll see. I've been working out, but just doing what felt comfortable, between the bike being broke and work I've just been kind of off this week. Thought about logging what I did but decided I really didn't care. Not the best attitude I know but...whatcha gonna do? I've got the next three days off so hopefully that will bring some focus back into life. And we've just finished training the new girl which means I get to be sane again. 3 days off and no more than 50 hour work weeks. For as long as we manage to hang on to both salespeople that is. 

But the good news is...the bike is fixed. Needed a new chain, because I happened to try to break my chain on the one link that you can do that on - the master link? Didn't even know such a thing existed. So I was using my chain breaker tool (which apparently is not the right size for my chain anyway) and busted the chain. So got a new chain as a new master link is about two weeks away and couldn't justify that much time off the bike and had a tune up done, now my bike works again.

Bad news/Good news about the bike though - the guy who runs the LBS impressed upon that I REALLY did need a fit (which honestly is something I've thought about quite a bit as my bike is just not comfortable) Good news - he's only charging me $45 for the fit. Bad news - says he'll probably want to swap out my stem to give me some more length. So if I get out of the shop on Tuesday for under $200 I'll be happy. He had me hop on the bike real quick and pointed a few things out like my seat was actually going downhill, the handlebars were dropped really far down which put a lot of strain on my wrists, and the position of my seat had me just wrong on the bike and would explain why I can't pedal in the drops. 

So hopefully next Tuesday I'll like my bike even more than I like it now. Even if I do end up a little poorer. And he understands Triathlon and has been to a bike fitting course that focused just on triathletes - he showed me the little certificate and everything. 

So I'll try not to disappear again and hope everyone is staying safe out there! 
2011-01-09 8:10 AM
in reply to: #3287430

User image

Veteran
razorxp - 2011-01-08 9:21 PM

Scott how did the workout go?>?????  that would be cool if we could all skype each other through tough workouts...

Jason you are on the HIM team,, way to go. Signing up is half the battle. Now lets get you through this.. Great venue in FL.
As for you HR do you know approx what your max is??? as an example I have a low max around 175 so when Im at 157 thats a good workout.  My training partner Max is about 215 so he is barely working at 157.  You have to go with what your readings are not what others on the video are.

Awesome job Deb,  don't think anyone is this group is running 5mm.  (maybe for 1 mile but not much longer for most lol)

23 weeks wow thats coming up quickly.. Just stick to your plan....

i do not know what my max r is.  i would like to find out.  i am new to Hr monitoring.  i need to do some more research. 

as far as diet.  i think its best to stay as balanced as possible with (20% fats, 30% protein and 50% carbs) unless you are trying to lose or gain wt.  i was amazed to when you said you weighed (i am going off memory so forgive me if i am wrong) around 180 and you wanted to race around 155.  how do you fluctuate your wt so easily? 
2011-01-09 8:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
The 2X 20 min all out time trial for FTP was very hard as you can imagine.  I've been back to all out workouts only 2 weeks. I knew I would lose some top end.  The coach says that is just fine.  No one should carry 100% of the peak threshold power 365, he says.   I haven't seen final results.  I think I am 275-280, down from 300.  If so, that isn't so bad considering 8 weeks off the bike, 2 weeks on.  If that is where I am starting in the dead of winter at the very beginning of the workout year, that is a very good place to be.  With the right VO2, base and FTP workouts, I'll be back in the swing by March when the time trials start here and well ready the first triathlon of the year in June.    All good.

I did a brick after that 45 mins of fartleks.  FYI, the Vision Fitness treadmills do go to 15%. 

Today I am down for two hour 65% base ride.  I may fire up the Real Course Video and see what that's all about.

You all seem to be doing great. 

As far as a bike fit goes, they are a must have.  I was riding my Obea after building it up with only the cursory fit and my back was killing me at 25 miles.  I asked and asked two fitters to raise me up and they adjusted other things saying I had to stay aero and get used to it  Avoid these people like the plague.   If you aren't comfortable, you can't push hard, period.   So I went to a third, told him that I wanted to be raised up.  I got raised up far up, still aero enough and very comfortable.  Two weeks later I did really well on the half IM bike course in 25 mph gusts.  It's set up now that I am confident I can do all day on it.  

A stem shouldn't cost you $155.  More like $55 maybe.  Depends on what it's made out of.

One thing I've learned - you can cost yourself money by trying to fix things without knowing how.  I talked the local community college into offering a bike repair course, I found the instructor, got them together and we had repair through building.  I know enough to do tune ups, change chains, change cables, clean the drive train, and I've built a bike with someone looking over my shoulder.    Well worth it.  Everyone should know how to change flats, adjust their shifters and brakes at the very least and how to get home or to the finish line if you break a spoke and the wheel goes out of true. They aren't hard and the LBS will be glad to show you.  Everybody wants to know too so ask them to host your club for a night on simple bike repair.  Mine is always hapy to do it...gets people in the store and they sell things.

Have a great day.

2011-01-09 8:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
The easiest estimate on max HR is 220 minus age.  It is within one beat for me, which was tested at the local university and by my coach. Pretty darn accurate I'd say.  

2011-01-09 11:29 AM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

I came across this article by macca. For those of you who don't know who he is, he won kona this year and has been a top pro racer for years.  Some hate him some love him as he talks alot of trash.  This is a great article for all of us to read.

http://www.chrismccormack.com/blog/triathlontrainingmixmythoughts

Erin, hopefully your mood improves after a couple days off.  As for your bike see if the shop has an old stem laying around, I needed a shorter stem and they charged me $10 for a used one and a couple bucks to install (I send alot of business their way but still cheaper than new).  Bike fit is more important than the bike your riding. You can have a $10k bike but if its not good for you it will just lead to injury and not use the correct muscles.

Jason, I would not say I can fluctuate my weight easy but when your burning 2,000+ cals per day working out (heavy days 5k) I burn off weight pretty fast.  My 1st IM race I came in around 158 aprrox 6%bf (started training at 190) last year I tried to have alittle more muscle/fat at about 165 approx 9%BF.  Your right on my weight actually after a long holiday and being sick I'm closer to 190lb right now and will be below 160 for my half in May so I know how my body will react to being smaller.  EDIT I just weighed myself before my workout granted I was on vaca and flew yesterday so I hold a ton of water not to mention all the alcohol. I was a 5 yr high 198.  I will see where it is after Wed and my body normalizes.  Time to clean diet up right now lol... wow I have my work cut out now.   Good 2.5 hr bike today helped burned over 2k cals.

Edited by razorxp 2011-01-09 5:01 PM
2011-01-09 11:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
10K run this am. Hard going as my jip was hurting - I think I am having IT band issues? It could just be that I am too fat and slow to be running haha

2011-01-09 5:04 PM
in reply to: #3288018

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-01-09 12:40 PM 10K run this am. Hard going as my jip was hurting - I think I am having IT band issues? It could just be that I am too fat and slow to be running haha

Deb, hopefully your "Jip" is ok. lol  A good stretch is to lay on your back and keep one leg straight and take the other accross your body.  Sometimes I put a towel on my foot of the leg that crosses over. Stretch feels so good.
2011-01-09 5:14 PM
in reply to: #3287823

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
IceManScott - 2011-01-09 9:55 AM The easiest estimate on max HR is 220 minus age.  It is within one beat for me, which was tested at the local university and by my coach. Pretty darn accurate I'd say.  

That does work for some but don't use it as a number that is in stone, my training partner is 44 and has a MHR of around 215+ and a resting of around 40.  It is a great starting point though!

Scott you are making incredible power your going to do a sub 5 bike if you keep this up.  On your 2 x 20 ftp what number are you using for your ftp the 1st session or second? What recovery time did you use?

2011-01-09 5:18 PM
in reply to: #3288004

User image

Veteran
razorxp - 2011-01-09 11:29 AM

I came across this article by macca. For those of you who don't know who he is, he won kona this year and has been a top pro racer for years.  Some hate him some love him as he talks alot of trash.  This is a great article for all of us to read.

http://www.chrismccormack.com/blog/triathlontrainingmixmythoughts

Erin, hopefully your mood improves after a couple days off.  As for your bike see if the shop has an old stem laying around, I needed a shorter stem and they charged me $10 for a used one and a couple bucks to install (I send alot of business their way but still cheaper than new).  Bike fit is more important than the bike your riding. You can have a $10k bike but if its not good for you it will just lead to injury and not use the correct muscles.

Jason, I would not say I can fluctuate my weight easy but when your burning 2,000+ cals per day working out (heavy days 5k) I burn off weight pretty fast.  My 1st IM race I came in around 158 aprrox 6%bf (started training at 190) last year I tried to have alittle more muscle/fat at about 165 approx 9%BF.  Your right on my weight actually after a long holiday and being sick I'm closer to 190lb right now and will be below 160 for my half in May so I know how my body will react to being smaller.  EDIT I just weighed myself before my workout granted I was on vaca and flew yesterday so I hold a ton of water not to mention all the alcohol. I was a 5 yr high 198.  I will see where it is after Wed and my body normalizes.  Time to clean diet up right now lol... wow I have my work cut out now.   Good 2.5 hr bike today helped burned over 2k cals.

wow-  that is great you can move your weight around.  what would you say your natural wt is?  how tall are you?  the reason i ask is because i wonder if i lost 20lbs how would i feel.  would i run better or would i feel weak?   i am 6' and i way about 190-193 now.  i have been 220+ when i was lifting hard.  i always like to use the excuse that i weigh more than anyone that runs 7-8 min miles-  but that is just an excure!!!!

2011-01-09 6:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
The FTP came out at 270, down from 300 at the peak in late Sept. after the half IM.  That's after 2 mos light from the IT band.  I'm good with that.  My coach said it is bad to try to hold the 100% ftp year round anyway and since I'm coming off an injury, this is a good time to go slow and work up from there.   So next 2 months are build months. 

Rode the Real Course Vid of IM Moo today for 2 hours.  Really fun.  There is one 10% grade I found, a couple of long 6%...lots of hills.  That RCV is really good in that it is accurate so I'm getting a look at the course without leaving home.  Figure if it saves 3 trips to Wisconsin for a weekend, it's paid for the CT! (That's what I told Kathy anyway.   I'll still go ride but I couldn't go now anyway so it's a leg up. 

I swam today too, 2000 yards continuous, 44 mins.  Good for me...flip turns and I are just getting to be friends after 2 years. I MUCH prefer open water. 
2011-01-09 6:36 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Scott I love your logic, the CT paid for itself..lol  It is true not to mention alot safer.

Jason, I used to lift pretty heavy and was around 215.  I would say my natural weight is around 190 if eating like a normal person and not doing too much crazy food.  I have  a major sweet tooth that I all but cut out when I start training and I only drink once per month in season so I go from ultra strict to letting loose over the holidays. I overdo it because I know its short lived.  I am just under 6' too, I will tell you if your serious about this sport every pound makes a HUGE difference in your performance.  If your doing it for fun don't worry about the weight, I would much rather be 200 as I like being bigger I hate being scrawy.  I am doing it for fun but also want to see how much I can improve. 
2011-01-09 6:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Coldfoot, Alaska
So went outside for a ride today. 7 miles around town in about 45 minutes. It was about 35 degrees with 15-20 mph winds so a good time was had. Had to walk a few times because I just didn't trust myself riding over the ice patches. But it felt really good to just get out and go. Could have used long gloves and really could have used some wind proof tights - I had two layers on plus shorts and it just wasn't comfortable when I was headed into the wind. 

Any recommendations on windproof tights? 
2011-01-09 6:51 PM
in reply to: #3288706

User image

Veteran
razorxp - 2011-01-09 6:36 PM Scott I love your logic, the CT paid for itself..lol  It is true not to mention alot safer.

Jason, I used to lift pretty heavy and was around 215.  I would say my natural weight is around 190 if eating like a normal person and not doing too much crazy food.  I have  a major sweet tooth that I all but cut out when I start training and I only drink once per month in season so I go from ultra strict to letting loose over the holidays. I overdo it because I know its short lived.  I am just under 6' too, I will tell you if your serious about this sport every pound makes a HUGE difference in your performance.  If your doing it for fun don't worry about the weight, I would much rather be 200 as I like being bigger I hate being scrawy.  I am doing it for fun but also want to see how much I can improve. 

good to hear, i will try to get down in weight.  i do not know how long i will do tris so while i am i might as well give it everything.
2011-01-09 6:55 PM
in reply to: #3288543

User image

Expert
I had serious IT Band issues in 2008 and have tried everything.  Davids suggestion  is a good one and I used it often except I would use some rope.  Deb- have you ever used a foam roller?  If not I would highly recommend it.  If it is IT Band it will hurt LIKE HELL the first few times you do it but it helps.  I ended up buy the Trigger Point Foam roller and it has lasted me for over 1 year and still holding shape just like I bought it.  Also try some strenghtening exercises.

razorxp - 2011-01-09 5:04 PM
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-01-09 12:40 PM 10K run this am. Hard going as my jip was hurting - I think I am having IT band issues? It could just be that I am too fat and slow to be running haha

Deb, hopefully your "Jip" is ok. lol  A good stretch is to lay on your back and keep one leg straight and take the other accross your body.  Sometimes I put a towel on my foot of the leg that crosses over. Stretch feels so good.

2011-01-09 6:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Help!Undecided
I am second guessing my training plan choice. I had thought I was going to use the free HIM training plan here on BT, however, I am worried about the amount of bike/ run time. The longest bike seems to be 3 hours? and the longest run is 2 hours. I feel like there is no way I will reach the mileage with those times. I want to finish strong, not crawling across the finish line because I didn't get enough mileage in during training.

So, I am thinking maybe I should go with a mileage plan after all.

Somebody else posted this http://competitor.com/2010/09/sports/triathlon/super-simple-ironman-70-3-triathlon-training-plan_6442   

Any thoughts? suggestions?

I feel like I need to be set on this already - time is a ticking.
2011-01-09 7:00 PM

User image

Expert
I got my 9 mile long run in today and am feeling great even after a semi-rough night at my annual get together with all my college buddies.  Mohito's and Miller Lite are not considered endurance fuel.  Although I did get a good upper body workout making the mohitosSurprised.  It is tough to hold back my pace but it really is making a positive difference.  2 long runs down 12 more to go.  I will be interested to see how it works on the 20+ mile runs.
2011-01-09 7:17 PM
in reply to: #3287809

User image

Expert
Scott - you have me worried now since I just got in Friday all my Parker tools I ordered so I can replace my bottom bracket cartridge.  I have never done it before but I am the kind of person who would rather learn it myself than pay someone.  I have done a ton of research online with all the YouTube videos and such - we will see how it goes -lol

FYI - I have an older Trek road bike that I have been slowly upgrading.  I recently just installed a quill stem adapter and a new adjustable stem for a Profile Design T2 wing handle bars and Vision carbon fiber aero bars.  Next adventure is to route my shifting cables for the bar end shifters.  The shifters are currently downtube shifters.

My company is tied heavily to Hi-rise construction and with the current economy the company has been hanging on by a thread so over the last year it was almost day to day if they were going to go under.  Also been some pay cuts so needless to say a new tri-bike is not high on the list (especially the wifes).  I have been doing alot of Ebay shopping to find good deals and it seems to be working. 

My philosophy on tri-bikes is this, and let me know what you guys think - It's kind of like golf.  Is a beginning golfer really going to benefit from having the newest set of Pings or would he benefit from actually learnign how to play the game?  I have never ridden a state of the art carbon tri-bike and I am sure it would be nice but I think I would benefit from learning how to properly ride, learn about bikes (repairs/maintenance) and then I when the time come I will know exactly what I want.

One thing I've learned - you can cost yourself money by trying to fix things without knowing how.  I talked the local community college into offering a bike repair course, I found the instructor, got them together and we had repair through building.  I know enough to do tune ups, change chains, change cables, clean the drive train, and I've built a bike with someone looking over my shoulder.    Well worth it.  Everyone should know how to change flats, adjust their shifters and brakes at the very least and how to get home or to the finish line if you break a spoke and the wheel goes out of true. They aren't hard and the LBS will be glad to show you.  Everybody wants to know too so ask them to host your club for a night on simple bike repair.  Mine is always hapy to do it...gets people in the store and they sell things.
2011-01-09 7:18 PM
in reply to: #3288743

User image

Veteran
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-01-09 6:58 PM Help!Undecided
I am second guessing my training plan choice. I had thought I was going to use the free HIM training plan here on BT, however, I am worried about the amount of bike/ run time. The longest bike seems to be 3 hours? and the longest run is 2 hours. I feel like there is no way I will reach the mileage with those times. I want to finish strong, not crawling across the finish line because I didn't get enough mileage in during training.

So, I am thinking maybe I should go with a mileage plan after all.

Somebody else posted this http://competitor.com/2010/09/sports/triathlon/super-simple-ironman-70-3-triathlon-training-plan_6442   

Any thoughts? suggestions?

I feel like I need to be set on this already - time is a ticking.

i did the same thing you are doing.  i finally decided that i would combine both plans to fit my schedule.  i was worried that the BT plan would not give me enough miles so on the long runs and rides i am going to go for distance but on the shorter workouts i am going for time.  i liked the simplicty of the other plan but i did not want to get stuck on having to do certain miles.  does this make sense?  i would be glad to go over more if needed.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp Group Is CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 76