BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 70

2011-02-09 7:55 AM
in reply to: #3346347

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!
peggyf - 2011-02-09 6:31 AMHey all  -- got a question for anyone out there.  I just paid a whooping $105 for my half marathon this coming weekend.  Supposedly ALL the proceeds go to cancer research.  Can I claim this on my taxes next year as a donation? 
Not a tax expert but I work in fundraising...ask the race director. My guess is that while all of registration fee is going to the charity that things like your t-shirt, costs of the race and other things will greatly lower what you can deduct. The classic example is when you buy a ticket to a dinner event for charity. Even if the ticket costs $50, you may only be able to deduct $30 because the cost of the actual meal is $20. The whole amount has gone to the charity but you have been given "considerations" for your gift so the whole amount is not deductible.

2011-02-09 7:56 AM
in reply to: #3259026

I usually deduct the entrance fees for charitable events as long as the fee is paid to a legitimate non profit entity.  Technically the fee is only completely deductible if you are not getting anything in return.  Like if you went to a charity ball and they gave you dinner, you should only deduct the ticket price less the fair market value of the meal they gave you. 

The link below explains it better.

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc506.html

I am not a tax accountant either, just an accountant.

ETA - Shawn beat me to it.

Edited by bunsy 2011-02-09 7:58 AM
2011-02-09 4:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
So, I feel like a slacker for not posting on people's blogs and leaving inspires all the time (school is seriously sucking my life up this semester), but I just wanted to say thank you for everyone who leaves me inspires.  You guys seriously rock, and are really helping to keep me on track.

Just wanted to say...
2011-02-09 5:08 PM
in reply to: #3347672

User image

Expert
Drive-by posting to say hi, everybody! Sorry for being relatively out of touch this week-- the aftermath of the snowstorm has everyone scrambling this week to get classes back on track. Have updated my logs and will reply to your lovely inspires and leave lots more ASAP, honest! In the meantime, here's a big WOO-HOO!!!! from me to each and every one of you as we all keep on training and kicking a$$ in our respective ways! MMMers ROCK!!

*returns to chaos*

Alex
2011-02-09 10:03 PM
in reply to: #3346087

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
hildekq - 2011-02-08 8:33 PM WHAT JORDIE???  NO CAFFEINE??!!!  I seriously would melt into the couch without caffeine in the a.m.  In fact I'd drink it all day if I didn't know it would keep me awake at night!!  You are right, sodium is EVERYWHERE... but WHY in soda, I mean really??!  Hope you get the blood pressure under control and hope you can get some workouts in... trust me, you'll feel better, and I say that in a Hilde mentor way, NOT a Hilde dominatrix way (STOP THAT WILSON!!)

I KNOW! I'm super tired. All. The. Time.  But I know it will pass. Hopefully. Soon.

And Turtle, I think that nickname would have been more suitable for when I was a young chickadee. Wink. Just kidding! 
2011-02-10 5:33 AM

User image

Regular
Hey MMMer's; just thought I'd jump in late and say GO PACK GO! Boy did they ever....

Holy frozen bodies-it's cold up here this morning. Stay warm and have a good day all.

2011-02-10 7:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
I agree it was -1 in SE Michigan with a wind chill advisory!  Even the dogs wanted to stay in this morning!  Keep warm everybody. 
2011-02-10 7:41 AM

I have a question.. .maybe it's dumb but..

When I started pedaling on my trainer this morning I realized that my rear tire was flat.... why would a tire just go flat on the trainer?  Maybe it had been losing presure and I didn't notice it, but I just thought it was strange.  I inflated it and did my work out, and the tire pressure didn't change by the end of my workout.

2011-02-10 8:27 AM
in reply to: #3348299

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Maybe you just have a really slow leak??  I fill my tires every time I go out on the road and I'm amazed how much air they lose just from day to day.  If it goes flat again, you may want to pump some air in the tube and hold it under water and see if any air bubbles come out... might just need a patch.
2011-02-10 8:33 PM
in reply to: #3348395

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
I filled my tires with Nitrogen and now I go 3mph faster than before......I have a couple of bottles left...I can sell them for $100 a piece to anyone interested......Innocent  I'm going to try Helium next.....gotta get faster up those hills sometime...Then after my Helium experiment....I'll go with Nitrous.....I wanna get high if I'm dong poorly and wanna pout!!! hehe...I'm full of speed enhancers...

A giant dog with foam around it's chin will help in ultimate speed too...Good thing I carry a H&K USP 40 semi-automatic gun loaded with plus ammo for those type of situations.  And when those A$$ holes pull out in front of me because they are on a cell phone or texting.  BAM BAM GANGSTA STYLE....MO FO...
2011-02-11 7:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
I agree with Hilde, all tires slowly leak.  I check mine when I'm riding outside every time I go out.  I'm lazy when I'm riding the trainer and only check them every few weeks.  They are always down and need some air.  The trainer friction will take some life away from your rear tire.  I have a trainer tire on the rear that is super thick (and orange too!)

2011-02-11 10:36 AM

User image

Regular
2011-02-11 10:38 AM

User image

Regular
That's weird, I just type the following question and it did not post!

Has anyone noticed that the MMMer's shortcut links on our front page are not working. If so, did the sortcut links change somehow?
2011-02-11 11:40 AM
in reply to: #3350396

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
That IS weird Joe.... I don't use the links, I listed everyone as a friend and get to their logs that way...  hopefully it's just a glitch and all of sudden they'll work again??
2011-02-11 12:12 PM
in reply to: #3350567

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Well, from just checking out the links.... it looks like BT changed the addresses a little bit... if you get to the properties of each person's link... they changed the word "profile" to "training"...   I'll post a new list below:

Hilde - hildekq
Denise - dajotkjo
Kevin - bugeater
Jen - gnome
Janet - jcarmody
Joe - joes
Jordan - jordiebrigs
Michele - nina44shell
Marsha - PTWykes
Shawn - sulcus
Tammy - tstl
Tammy - TTucker
Alex - wrkinprogress
Wilson - wsilverthorne
Margaret - bunsy
Jon - jwheat
Kory - kellekl
Gina - lizzlvr
Wesley - wesmaster123
2011-02-11 8:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the new list Hilde

Here's some snow pictures from last week...(just took me forever to find my camera cord!)

2011-02-11 9:03 PM
in reply to: #3350396

User image

Regular
joes - 2011-02-11 11:38 AM That's weird, I just type the following question and it did not post!

Has anyone noticed that the MMMer's shortcut links on our front page are not working. If so, did the sortcut links change somehow?

Joe, I noticed the same thing so I added everyone as a friend so that I could check on everyone. 
2011-02-11 11:50 PM
in reply to: #3351403

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great pics, Marsha - so pretty! And your munchkins are adorable!
2011-02-12 5:37 PM
in reply to: #3351523

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Oh Marsha, I look at those pics and am soooo glad it's supposed to hit 70 tomorrow!!  Your kiddos are adorable!  And so is your house!
2011-02-12 7:36 PM

User image

Veteran
OH how I would love to see 70....I think I'd S-B-R all in one day just because I'd be soooooooo excited to be out doing it! In the upper 20's here and I'm sad to say I'm happy about that because its ABOVE instead of BELOW zero!
2011-02-12 8:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
Great pics, Marsha. Looks like that here too. I'm glad it's not 70 here. That's way too hot.  Tongue out 

A Rant  By Jordan Brigman

Did a 10 miler today and it wasn't too great.  I started with a bad attitude just because I'm crabby, so everything that happened just annoyed me.  First, the crosswalks for the most part were not shoveled.  This could be due to the fact that the piles of snow here were taller than me, but it's pretty inconvenient trying to find somewhere to cross.  Then of course there are the three people that didn't have their walks shoveled.  There could be many reasons that someone couldn't shovel their walk in the 10 days since the snow storm, but this snow is thigh high.  So, I had to back track a couple of times.  In my neighborhood, if someone's walk isn't shoveled a neighbor does it for them. Maybe they're too old, maybe no one lives there, maybe lots of reasons. Anyway. That's all. I guess it wasn't that bad after reading this back, but I just never could get my pace up. I felt like I was just walking half the time while I dodged snow banks and slush puddles and zig zagged through the streets.  
At least every run is a learning experience.  I feel better now. Thanks!   

2011-02-12 9:09 PM
in reply to: #3352336

User image

Regular
jordiebrigs - 2011-02-12 9:45 PM Great pics, Marsha. Looks like that here too. I'm glad it's not 70 here. That's way too hot.  Tongue out 

A Rant  By Jordan Brigman

Did a 10 miler today and it wasn't too great.  I started with a bad attitude just because I'm crabby, so everything that happened just annoyed me.  First, the crosswalks for the most part were not shoveled.  This could be due to the fact that the piles of snow here were taller than me, but it's pretty inconvenient trying to find somewhere to cross.  Then of course there are the three people that didn't have their walks shoveled.  There could be many reasons that someone couldn't shovel their walk in the 10 days since the snow storm, but this snow is thigh high.  So, I had to back track a couple of times.  In my neighborhood, if someone's walk isn't shoveled a neighbor does it for them. Maybe they're too old, maybe no one lives there, maybe lots of reasons. Anyway. That's all. I guess it wasn't that bad after reading this back, but I just never could get my pace up. I felt like I was just walking half the time while I dodged snow banks and slush puddles and zig zagged through the streets.  
At least every run is a learning experience.  I feel better now. Thanks!   

Hi Jordie,  sorry about the crappy run.  I'm convinced that God throws in crappy runs so that we can appreciate the good ones even more.  At least you got out and did something other than stay inside Laughing 
2011-02-12 9:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hey, Jordie, good on ya for giving it your best shot. Most people would have given up. No, most wouldn't have even started! You are one determined woman! 

70 may be too hot for you, but at least you don't have to shovel it! 
2011-02-13 9:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
Thanks guys. I'm better now.  I was just getting really frustrated. Next run will definitely be better! I LOVE running after all!Laughing  
Oh, and we are having our own heat wave here. It's supposed to be in the 40's today. I even went out to get the paper with no shoes on it was so warm. Bring on the shorts and tank tops!
2011-02-13 9:53 AM
in reply to: #3352615

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
In the 40's, whoo hoo, you're gonna sweat like a pig!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!! Rss Feed  

of 70