BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan and Mike's beginner group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2011-02-14 7:21 AM
in reply to: #3260767

Veteran
Subject: RE: Ryan and Mike's beginner group - CLOSED

LIke Mike said, everyone is different with biking(as well as  swimming/running) but gearing really does come down to what your body feels right with.  Mike is a better at keeping a higher rate on his bike, where I mash them till the gears come flying off.

I had posted on this site last year, finding a few people that were doing the same First tri.  We went and biked the course a few times.  SInce we didn't know what gears we needed to use/what to expect, it helped alot.

2011-02-14 1:03 PM
in reply to: #3352355

User image

Regular
Allen, TX
Subject: RE: massage
ransick - 2011-02-12 9:16 PM
Brightbow - 2011-02-12 7:50 PM
ransick - 2011-02-12 3:15 PM My left calf has been extremely tight and knotted.  So I left my man card in the car, and went to a spa for my first leg massage today.  It was painful but hopefully it will help.  Hopefully I won't be too sore in the morning either.  I have another long trainer ride planned.

I hope it helps! My husband offered to buy me a massage to work out the knot in my trap and I really hope he is serious!

I also bought "The Stick" at my local running store.  You could buy that and talk him in to working out the knot.

That's funny - I just bought "The Stick" on recommendation from my Physical Therapist.  He said it would help to work out some of the IT Band issues that have been nagging me for a while.  Apparently, between rolling it out with a big foam roller and "The Stick", I should see some improvement.  Stay tuned.......
2011-02-14 9:07 PM
in reply to: #3354449

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC

That's funny - I just bought "The Stick" on recommendation from my Physical Therapist.  He said it would help to work out some of the IT Band issues that have been nagging me for a while.  Apparently, between rolling it out with a big foam roller and "The Stick", I should see some improvement.  Stay tuned.......

What does the stick do that the foam roller doesn't? (LOVE my foam roller...)
2011-02-15 6:50 AM
in reply to: #3355324

I have had massages in the past and love them.  I also had a really tight muscle last year and used a rolling pin.  I didn't spend a lot of money on the "pin" but it sure did work wonders.
2011-02-15 9:13 AM
in reply to: #3355324

User image

Regular
Allen, TX
MarlaS - 2011-02-14 9:07 PM

What does the stick do that the foam roller doesn't? (LOVE my foam roller...)

The foam roller seems to be more of a general use tool for my PT - he recommends that I use it twice a day preferably and at least once a day for a good once over.  The stick is more of a specific use tool to attack and break up the knots, lactic acid, etc. in smaller areas (i.e. the IT Band for me).  The stick seems to be a little easier to get right where you need it and work things out.

Just my two cents (via my PT).  Also, he does Active Release Technique (ART) massage which helps really break the knots and stuff up.  If you haven't heard of it and can't seem to get the aches to go away, check it out at http://www.activerelease.com/. You can search for a provider in your area, and they are usually at most Ironman events and even some of the larger Tri's.
2011-02-15 8:39 PM
in reply to: #3351451

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: Running
Run training

I'm not a fast runner, so take that in to account when reading my advice.  Also, fast is relative (take that in to account for yourself).  There will always be someone faster than you and someone slower than you.

For running, I believe in Scout's philosophy here on BT.  Run lots, mostly slow, sometimes fast.  I also believe that if you want to get better at running, you need to run more than 3x per week.  I came across this blog when looking for advice on running and I agree with it.  The links to the ST articles are good too (IMHO).  Ideally I would run 6x per week if I ignored triathlon training or my family or work.  Three short, two medium and one long run with the ratio of 1-2-3 for distance.  This means your short run is 1/3 your long run and your medium run is 2x your short run.  I would also take a rest day after my long run each week.  So assuming my long run was 3 miles, I would run 1-2-1-2-1-3-0 for a week (if my long run was 9 it would be  3-6-3-6-3-9-0).  I tried to get as close to this as I could for my 3rd 1/2 marathon.  I pretty much quit swimming and biking to do it and I usually missed one short and one medium run a week (ok, so I really didn't do the plan :-)).  I did PR, but not by as much as I hoped.  My take away is that if you are a slow runner, running faster takes many months (or years), not two months. 

Another rule of thumb is not to increase your mileage by more than 10% per week.  Use this as a guideline, everyone is different (some can do more, some less).  A better rule is to listen to your body and build in rest days or easy running days required.  You don't want to get injured, so be careful.

Fitting running in with biking and swimming can be tricky.  I recommend, studying several plans, picking one that suits your time constraints, then modifying that on the fly.  You have to be patient, improving in all three disciplines simultaneously means slow improvements in all three.  Slow and steady wins the race in endurance sports.  If you want to improve one sport faster, consider picking a weakness in the off season and increasing the frequency in that area while backing off to maintenance mode in the other two areas. 

One last comment.  I recommend going to a decent running store and getting fit for some decent running shoes.  Expect to pay $70-$120.  Compared to an injury, that is cheap.  I also get new shoes every 300 miles (the equipment tracking feature on BT is helpful there).  Some people go as low as 250 and some as high as 400.

2011-02-15 8:39 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: topic list
Here is the topic list.  We'll fill these out over the next several weeks.  If you have other topics or questions, ask away.  I'll post this list once in a while because it helps me find them too.

goal setting (page 5 - post 1)
training by RPE/heart rate/power (page 8 - post 7)
swim training  (page 14 - post 1+4)
bike training (up next) (page 17 - post 19)
run training (page 20 - post 1)
core/strength training
nutrition
rest and recovery
race day (race day nutrition covered on page 6 - post 8)
race day (clothing and transition covered on page 14 - post 19)

Edited by ransick 2011-02-15 9:02 PM
2011-02-16 10:29 PM
in reply to: #3357053

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Running
So what does everyone else think about running?  I'm not an expert, please discuss.
2011-02-17 10:42 AM
in reply to: #3359238

User image

Central Oregon
I'd also strongly suggest appropriate shoes. I replace mine every 4 months or so, probably closer to 500 miles... if I had more of a budget to work with I might replace them more often.

A lot of running stores also offer clinics on form. I wish I would've gone to one sooner.

Other than that, I'd say, if you can, run on dirt or trails. Not only is it fun, it's easier on your joints.
2011-02-17 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3359238

User image

Regular
Allen, TX
ransick - 2011-02-16 10:29 PM So what does everyone else think about running?  I'm not an expert, please discuss.

I'm not an expert either, but I'll put my two cents in here on some basics - hopefully it will help someone not make the same mistakes I did. 

First of all...... stretch before you run, stretch after you run, and stretch more on your off days...... and when you're finished stretching or watching your favorite sitcom at night, roll out your muscles on a roller or with the stick (previous post).  Keeping your muscles loose and limber will go a long way in the injury prevention department.  When I first started running again last January, I couldn't understand why my Achilles was aching - my doc quickly told me that I am no longer a spring chicken and a popped Achilles is no joke - be sure to stretch.  So I fixed that one, but then dealt with shin splints, probably due still to not enough stretching and/or the 10% rule that Ransick mentioned earlier.  Now some lingering IT Band issues are largely due to the knots in my leg (lactic acid buildup, etc) that need to be smoothed out via the roller and the stick.

Secondly, research and applying what you find out is a great thing, but don't try to change the way you run - a Chevy drives like a Chevy, and a Honda drives like a Honda, but neither will ever drive like a Ferrari.  I went to a number of running clinics on speed, mechanics, gait, etc. and although it was great information, when I tried to change my running style (i.e. no heel strike at all, run on your forefoot, run barefoot, run with faster tempo, bounce more, bounce less, etc.), it usually just made me loose ground that I had gained and shifted issues to another place.  We run how we run - embrace it.  The fastest runners generally run on their forefoot, but it's because they are running fast that they are on their forefoot.  If they ran at my pace, they would do a slight heelstrike as well, similar to my style - and if i sprint or run at their pace (for the little time I could do it), I would definitely be on my forefoot.  Try it yourself and see - this article made a lot of sense to me (http://www.sportsscientists.com/2008/04/running-technique-footstrike.html)and I wish I would have read it before I tried to redo my running style 3 different times, based on what the current flavor of the month describes as best.  Don't get me wrong, the more information you have, the better, as you can apply it to many different areas and be more aware of how your style may affect your overall speed, endurance, and likelihood for injury.

Finally, similar to what Ransick mentioned - get a good pair of running shoes and make sure they are the right type for you through a proper gait analysis.  If you under/over pronate while running, the right shoes will help prevent injury more than you know, and the wrong shoe will definitely bring it on worse.  Most of the running shoe stores in my area can do a gait analysis in 10 to 15 minutes, but a foot locker in the local mall is not usually going to have the professionals that can accurately do this.  Go to a dedicated running or multisport store to have this done. 

Sorry for the long rant, but hopefully it will help someone.

I'm trying to work on speedwork/tempo right now, so anyone with some good advice on that, please chime in and help a brotha out.
2011-02-17 11:47 AM
in reply to: #3359889

User image

Central Oregon
I thought of one other thing that has helped me (I run long distances every Sat.). Ice baths after a long run help recovery. I usually start this when my runs get longer than 12 miles. Here's an article,
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-285--12810-0,00.html .

2011-02-17 1:26 PM

Veteran
I've heard that Ice bath's are great, but they kind of scare me.  I just picked up some 2xu compression stuff.   Trying to get something to help my legs not be dead all the time.
2011-02-17 1:36 PM
in reply to: #3360227

User image

Central Oregon
I don't even add ice to the water, cold out of the tap seems fine to me. You've never tried it Mike? I was so confused after the Portland marathon... everyone was waddling around drinking chocolate milk and there were empty chairs at the ice station... I figured there would be a line!

Pick your pain... 15 minutes of being uncomfortable or 24 hours of feeling every stair you walk up and down. LOL That's how I look at it.
2011-02-17 7:58 PM
in reply to: #3360245

User image

Master
St. Louis
I did an ice bath once when my legs were really tired.  It was tough for the first minute then my legs were pretty numb.  One tip, don't let your sweatshirt drop in to the ice water.

I've heard drinking a hot cup of tea or coffee and wearing a stocking cap help.
2011-02-17 8:00 PM
in reply to: #3359889

User image

Master
St. Louis
rhetts - 2011-02-17 10:58 AM
ransick - 2011-02-16 10:29 PM So what does everyone else think about running?  I'm not an expert, please discuss.

I'm not an expert either, but I'll put my two cents in here on some basics - hopefully it will help someone not make the same mistakes I did. 

First of all...... stretch before you run, stretch after you run, and stretch more on your off days...... and when you're finished stretching or watching your favorite sitcom at night, roll out your muscles on a roller or with the stick (previous post).  Keeping your muscles loose and limber will go a long way in the injury prevention department.  When I first started running again last January, I couldn't understand why my Achilles was aching - my doc quickly told me that I am no longer a spring chicken and a popped Achilles is no joke - be sure to stretch.  So I fixed that one, but then dealt with shin splints, probably due still to not enough stretching and/or the 10% rule that Ransick mentioned earlier.  Now some lingering IT Band issues are largely due to the knots in my leg (lactic acid buildup, etc) that need to be smoothed out via the roller and the stick.

Secondly, research and applying what you find out is a great thing, but don't try to change the way you run - a Chevy drives like a Chevy, and a Honda drives like a Honda, but neither will ever drive like a Ferrari.  I went to a number of running clinics on speed, mechanics, gait, etc. and although it was great information, when I tried to change my running style (i.e. no heel strike at all, run on your forefoot, run barefoot, run with faster tempo, bounce more, bounce less, etc.), it usually just made me loose ground that I had gained and shifted issues to another place.  We run how we run - embrace it.  The fastest runners generally run on their forefoot, but it's because they are running fast that they are on their forefoot.  If they ran at my pace, they would do a slight heelstrike as well, similar to my style - and if i sprint or run at their pace (for the little time I could do it), I would definitely be on my forefoot.  Try it yourself and see - this article made a lot of sense to me (http://www.sportsscientists.com/2008/04/running-technique-footstrike.html)and I wish I would have read it before I tried to redo my running style 3 different times, based on what the current flavor of the month describes as best.  Don't get me wrong, the more information you have, the better, as you can apply it to many different areas and be more aware of how your style may affect your overall speed, endurance, and likelihood for injury.

Finally, similar to what Ransick mentioned - get a good pair of running shoes and make sure they are the right type for you through a proper gait analysis.  If you under/over pronate while running, the right shoes will help prevent injury more than you know, and the wrong shoe will definitely bring it on worse.  Most of the running shoe stores in my area can do a gait analysis in 10 to 15 minutes, but a foot locker in the local mall is not usually going to have the professionals that can accurately do this.  Go to a dedicated running or multisport store to have this done. 

Sorry for the long rant, but hopefully it will help someone.

I'm trying to work on speedwork/tempo right now, so anyone with some good advice on that, please chime in and help a brotha out.

Interesting.  There are also dome pretty fast runners that are heel strikers.  I'm not one of them :-).
2011-02-19 2:27 PM

User image

Central Oregon
A while ago I said to my husband, "I really like riding my bike! I'll have to see how it feels outside though." He laughed and up that quote went on facebook. (Cycling is my husband's strong sport.)

How does riding a trainer translate to ACTUALLY riding a bike? It's been quite a while since I have been able to ride outside, and our rides were around 20 miles then. Are the trainer and those spin classes really preparing me to ride well on the road?

2011-02-19 3:09 PM
in reply to: #3363211

User image

Master
St. Louis
The trainer and spin classes are as good as you make them.  If you put in good workouts, they will help prepare you for riding outside.  In some ways, they are tougher in that you don't have any natural rests like slowing down for pedestrians and stopping at intersections.  The one think you miss is bike handling skills.

Thursday was my first ride outside since last fall.  I've been putting in a lot of traianer time and I noticed a big difference from last year.  It was a very windy day (~20 mph) and I averaged about 2 mph faster than I would have on a similar ride last year. 
2011-02-19 3:34 PM

User image

Subject: Everything is great!
I haven't been posting much but everything in my neighborhood is good.  I'm losing weight like I want to so that is a good sign. Onward I go.
2011-02-19 9:03 PM
in reply to: #3363258

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Everything is great!
_T2_ - 2011-02-19 3:34 PM I haven't been posting much but everything in my neighborhood is good.  I'm losing weight like I want to so that is a good sign. Onward I go.

Good work on the weight loss!
2011-02-19 9:55 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: Sweat test
I did a sweat test on my run today.  If you haven't done one before, it is kind on interesting.  If you are interested, here is how. 

1. Before you workout, urinate then weigh yourself naked. 
2. Keep track of how long you work out and how many ounces of liquid and food you take in.
3. When you are done, dry off then weigh yourself naked again.
4. Subtract your ending weight from your starting weight then.
5. Add how much you ate and drank to that number.  (16 ounces = a pound, 8 ounce = half a pound).
6. Convert the difference to ounces by multiplying the number of pounds by 16.
7. Divide the result of step 5 by the number of hours exercised.

Here is an example.
Today I lost 2.5 pounds on my run and I took in 28 ounces of water and sports drink.  28 ounces is 28/16=1.75 pounds. So I sweated 2.5+1.75=4.25 pounds.  I exercised for 1.9 hours so my sweat rate is 4.25/1.9 = 2.2 pounds per hour.  2.2 * 16 = 35.2 ounces per hour.

Sweat rate will vary with temp and humidty as well as how well you are hydrated to begin with.

Questions or comments? 
2011-02-19 11:17 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: roll call
I check everyone's log's every couple days or so.  I would like a roll call of those that plan to log so I can reduce my time opening empty logs. 

Thanks!

2011-02-20 4:25 PM
in reply to: #3363556

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
Subject: RE: Everything is great!
ransick - 2011-02-19 10:03 PM
_T2_ - 2011-02-19 3:34 PM I haven't been posting much but everything in my neighborhood is good.  I'm losing weight like I want to so that is a good sign. Onward I go.

Good work on the weight loss!

x2
2011-02-20 6:21 PM
in reply to: #3363637

User image

Orlando, Fl
Subject: RE: roll call
Present and accounted for =) I am keeping on with my training. Started with a swim coach and he is working me pretty hard, I love it!
2011-02-20 9:05 PM
in reply to: #3363637

User image

Regular
Allen, TX
ransick - 2011-02-19 11:17 PM I check everyone's log's every couple days or so.  I would like a roll call of those that plan to log so I can reduce my time opening empty logs. 

Thanks!

My log is usually up to date and all workouts logged. 

I try to check on everyone too just to see the progress, but am not able to view some folks due to not being a friend or private settings.  I'd be interested in knowing this too.
2011-02-21 10:21 AM
in reply to: #3364479

User image

Central Oregon
I log my workouts. Thanks to everyone who has checked and given inspires!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan and Mike's beginner group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23