BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Allison and Ryan's Beginner Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2011-05-12 12:42 PM
in reply to: #3276373

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Allison and Ryan's Beginner Mentor Group - FULL

So I think I may have saved myself $150.

Went to the LBS to look at the Adamo seat they have there and ended up talking to the wrench for a bit.  He suggested I take a good look at the angle of my seat.

*Slaps forehad. Doh! >.<

Went back home and sure enough my seat was angled upwards ever so slightly.

Adjust at more a downward angle and (ahhhh...clouds parting) I have ROOM down there.  I think this might solve the "issue."  I'll know for sure when I get in my ride today.

2011-05-12 4:20 PM
in reply to: #3495792

User image

New user
NW Indiana
wushunut - 2011-05-12 12:42 PM

Went to the LBS to look at the Adamo seat they have there and ended up talking to the wrench for a bit.  He suggested I take a good look at the angle of my seat.

*Slaps forehad. Doh! >.<

Adjust at more a downward angle and (ahhhh...clouds parting) I have ROOM down there.  I think this might solve the "issue."  I'll know for sure when I get in my ride today.

Oddly enough, I was told the same thing but it didn't work for me. Despite conventional wisdom which says otherwise, I actually am more comfortable with the seat angled up slightly. My pain was primarily in the tailbone. With the seat level, as they say it should be, I had too much pressure too far back. A little tilt to move the pressure point forward and I was good to go. I like to think it helps me keep my weight on the pedals as well, not on my rear. Goes back to the old motocross days.....let the bike move under you.

2011-05-12 5:30 PM
in reply to: #3495792

Veteran
Indiana
wushunut - 2011-05-12 1:42 PM

*Slaps forehad. Doh! >.<

I've been having seat issues, too. Just got a new road bike in April (my first road bike) and overall I love the bike but I was having seat issues. I did have the numbness issue you described on any ride over 30-40 min. I was also having a problem with the way my weight perched on the factory saddle - instead of me sitting up on the sit bones with the saddle pressure going straight upwards, the factory saddle was between my sit bones with the pressure going outwards. Again, made it very uncomfortable on any ride over about 30-40 min.

My LBS put me on a demo Selle Italia, which has been great so far. I haven't had a chance to do any really long rides due to weather, work, and general busy-ness, but I've gone over 40-50 a couple of times, and one day with 100 min total split into three segments, and so far no issues at all.

I was hoping to get a longer ride - at least 90 min continuously - before pulling the trigger on this thing, but I'm getting close to the end of the demo period and don't forsee any opportunities for long rides coming up.

Unfortunately I don't think a simple adjustment is going to help in my case. The factory saddle was either too narrow - or I believe too "domed" - to fit my backside. Too bad, because I would much rather have had a free solution than a $170 one.

2011-05-12 5:41 PM

User image

Regular
Davenport, Iowa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMvX6zRYgw8&feature=youtu.be

Have you seen this?

No workout today. Wasn't a planned rest day, but I got busy with yardwork and dinner and had a glass of wine and that ended my desire to run.  But had a wonderful day and will be ready to go in the morning.

I know my seat needs adjusted. I want it higher.  Now I have to look into this whole angle thing.  Might have to read up on that tonight.

2011-05-12 10:25 PM

Extreme Veteran

I didn't get my workout in either.  I was looking forward to a ride today to test out the new seating position but work life got in the way and my wife was working late so I had to stay with our 2 year old.  Oh well.

I did, however, get my "nused" aerobars in the mail today! I'm pretty excited and eager to try them out.  I spent about an hour in the garage installing them and then tinkering with the position.  I didn't really have to adjust them too much.  I felt almost instantly comfortable on them.  Also I could tell that had my seat been in the original angle the aero position would have been simply ball crushing.  I did raise my seat a little though.  Even though it's a road bike I still felt pretty scrunched up in an aero position.  I guess I really do have a long torso.

2011-05-12 11:11 PM
in reply to: #3496328

User image

Regular
Davenport, Iowa
OK so I did actually go running.  I love the fact that it stays light so late.  3 miles. Laughing

2011-05-13 12:12 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
Well I'm in Chicago visiting my Dad, everyone else went to bed at 11 and I went for a run.  I feel so....disgustingly healthy.  Not much of a run but the tank was pretty empty so I'm just happy to have gotten a few miles in and stretch the legs after the drive.  And boy it sure is nice to run without all the blasted hills we have in St Louis.  Happy Friday everyone.
2011-05-13 7:01 AM

User image

Coastal Carolina
It's my monday so nothing planned today have a great weekend for those that are off!
2011-05-13 7:17 AM

User image

Regular
London, AR
Late start for me this morning. Was only able to get 30 mins of my weight training in. Pickup bike today and Brick tomorrow! Everyone have a great training day!
2011-05-13 7:31 AM

User image

New user
NW Indiana
Managed 3.5 miles worth of elliptical last night. About mile 2 started getting pain in the knee. Slowed down a bit and powered through it. Some stretching and foam roller after and it was feeling pretty good. Pretty much pain free today. I think if I continue as I have been and don't overdue it I may be working through this finally. It did mean cancelling a 5k on Sunday that I was really looking forward to, but such is life.  Swim and or bike ride tonight depending on weather. Have a great weekend everyone
2011-05-13 9:14 AM
in reply to: #3493535

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago

dnoble - 2011-05-11 10:56 AM I hit one of my short term goals last night on my swim.  1800 yards, with reasonable form and under 3 min/100 yds pace.  My form still stinks (I'm joining a Master's class that starts in June) but it was only a few weeks ago that I swam 1200 yards at a 3:10 pace and just about passed out.  So I'm pretty happy.  I was sharing the lane with a woman who was literally swimming twice as fast as me.  An eloquent statement on my form...  But hey, you have to crawl before you walk right?  I'm basking in the glow of....improvement!!!  Have a great day everyone!

Awesome job! 1800 yards in quite an accomplishment. You not only went farther than you did a few weeks ago but you also improved your speed.  And that masters class will only benefit you even more. Again...congrats!

2011-05-13 9:19 AM
in reply to: #3495648

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
SFD156 - 2011-05-12 11:34 AM

6 weeks Saturday to my first tri!!!

Wow your 1st tri is quickly approaching.  Are you excited!  Don't forget to practice transitions a little too.  I see that you're doing the Chicago Tri in Aug.  I have done that one for 2 years in a row and have been debating whether to do it again this year or not but I'll be down there either way probably.  There are SO many people racing but it's so much fun to watch plus watching the pros is breath-taking.

2011-05-13 9:21 AM
in reply to: #3496729

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago

dnoble - 2011-05-13 12:12 AM Well I'm in Chicago visiting my Dad, everyone else went to bed at 11 and I went for a run.  I feel so....disgustingly healthy.  Not much of a run but the tank was pretty empty so I'm just happy to have gotten a few miles in and stretch the legs after the drive.  And boy it sure is nice to run without all the blasted hills we have in St Louis.  Happy Friday everyone.

Welcome to Chicago!  It's too bad the lake isn't warmer because it's a lot of fun to swim with other triathletes down there.  Enjoy your time in the city.

2011-05-13 12:59 PM
in reply to: #3496932

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Managed 3.5 miles worth of elliptical last night. About mile 2 started getting pain in the knee. Slowed down a bit and powered through it. Some stretching and foam roller after and it was feeling pretty good. Pretty much pain free today. I think if I continue as I have been and don't overdue it I may be working through this finally. It did mean cancelling a 5k on Sunday that I was really looking forward to, but such is life.  Swim and or bike ride tonight depending on weather. Have a great weekend everyone

One thing to be aware of is the different motions that different "ellipticals" have.  We used to own a couple of gyms and the difference between motions on different models is amazing.  We had two different types in our gyms and there was always people who just couldn't use one or the other because of pain, myself included.  For example: Cybex makes a really cool elliptical type machine that many people loved, just about put me in a wheel chair though.  So try different makes models out if you can, it might reduce or even eliminate that pain.

2011-05-13 1:23 PM

Extreme Veteran

Run and a swim this morning.  Run was a higher pace than normal. Or should I say higher "effort" than normal.  Still not seeing too much improvement speed wise though.  Maybe I'm impatient? I guess I've only been at this about 3 1/2 months now. 

Swim felt pretty good.  That is until Michael Phelps got in the lane next to me. Wow he was fast...or I was...er slow.  1200yds again.  Felt like I could go on endurance wise but had to get back to the office.  Was slowed down a bit by a persistent foot cramp in the last few laps.  Also out of nowhere started to feel a sharp pain in my left knee.  Not sure if it is running related or not. Hmmm.

2011-05-13 1:30 PM
in reply to: #3497677

User image

New user
NW Indiana
dnoble - 2011-05-13 12:59 PM

One thing to be aware of is the different motions that different "ellipticals" have.  We used to own a couple of gyms and the difference between motions on different models is amazing.  We had two different types in our gyms and there was always people who just couldn't use one or the other because of pain, myself included.  For example: Cybex makes a really cool elliptical type machine that many people loved, just about put me in a wheel chair though.  So try different makes models out if you can, it might reduce or even eliminate that pain.

Thanks for the pointers. I have noticed differing styles of machines in the gym I belong to. (couldn't tell you what brand....didn't pay that much attention) Perhaps tonight I'll try a different machine. I used a model with the front suspended on the bottom of the handle pivots and the back on an eccentric wheel.....no incline adjustment. They also have a model that the front rides in tracks that have adjustable incline. Maybe I'll try that one tonight. Ultimately I want to get back to running and leave the elliptical in the gym.....if all goes well I may introduce some limited run on Sunday

2011-05-13 2:59 PM
in reply to: #3497733

User image

Coastal Carolina
wushunut - 2011-05-13 2:23 PM

Run and a swim this morning.  Run was a higher pace than normal. Or should I say higher "effort" than normal.  Still not seeing too much improvement speed wise though.  Maybe I'm impatient? I guess I've only been at this about 3 1/2 months now. 

Swim felt pretty good.  That is until Michael Phelps got in the lane next to me. Wow he was fast...or I was...er slow.  1200yds again.  Felt like I could go on endurance wise but had to get back to the office.  Was slowed down a bit by a persistent foot cramp in the last few laps.  Also out of nowhere started to feel a sharp pain in my left knee.  Not sure if it is running related or not. Hmmm.

You'd be surprised how quick that run pace can speed up when you aren't looking.  Spent the first several months of the year running with my 2 year old dog so I could sleep at night without him being absolutley crazy but he doesn't like to run distances and I would be going less than I thought I wanted to/should be.  Eventually the distances and times were too much for the pup, he is a lab/golden retriever mix so I'm not sure why he can't/wont run faster or longer, sorry I kind of lost myself there...  But the point was that when I stopped running with him outside and not on the treadmill my mile times dropped significantly without me having to push myself too hard.  So don't get discouraged wushunut

2011-05-13 5:10 PM

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the encouragement.  I'm just getting ahead of myself I guess.  I still think my body can perform like it did 20 years ago and I can just pick-up where I left off! Ah well.  I gotta stop resting on my HS glory days before I turn into Al Bundy!

BTW, anybody racing this weekend? Good luck to anyone that is.  My first tri is now just 5 weeks away! Gulp!

I guess that reminds me of a question I had about training.  What about the taper?  In these next 5 weeks do I really ramp up the distance and intensity for 3 weeks and start easing off? How much do you really workout that last week?

2011-05-13 6:07 PM

User image

Regular
London, AR
I usually taper off the week of my races but then I have never done a Tri so not sure if there is a difference there.
2011-05-13 6:09 PM
in reply to: #3498126

User image

Regular
Davenport, Iowa
Mine is also 5 weeks away. I really wish I had more time.  I haven't got as much riding in as I had hoped and my swimming is a mess.  Swimming lessons didn't really help.  Hopefully, it will all come together one of these days.  Tonight at the pool I was thinking I feel okay when I go slow, but when I pick up the pace I feel like my form becomes a big mess.  I am planning to work really hard for three weeks, 1 week sort of normal to light and the last week I definitely taper.  I only do enough to keep my nerves calm.  I get excited nervous before races.  Last year I just wanted to survive.  Now this year I have to be faster than last year cause I took swimming lessons and am on a road bike instead of mountain bike, but I am not sure I will be faster.  I am very excited all ready.  I do love to race.
2011-05-14 7:59 AM

User image

Coastal Carolina
1 week to my tri, got a run scheduled for today after work hopefully the rain holds off...

2011-05-14 8:08 AM

User image

New user
NW Indiana
Sounds like everyone's season will be kicking off soon. Those race reports will be filling the forumCool. I had a GREAT swim yesterday.....for the first time I felt that I could really pull off the swim. One or two more sessions "with rest" then I'll try swimming the entire distance. I still have 6 weeks from today to train so I'm feeling pretty confident for once.
2011-05-14 9:00 AM

User image

Regular
London, AR
Well did my first Brick today. did a 2.5 mile run practiced a transition into a 14 mile bike ride. It went pretty good though I have some chest congestion that is bothering me. At the end of the bike, I got off and my legs locked up tight! Had a nice long stretching session afterwards but wow, yeah that was intense. Good luck to all the training this weekend and any races anyone has planned.
2011-05-14 9:43 AM

User image

Regular
London, AR
So for those that have done a Tri, do you take a 10 sec moment in transition to stretch? I gotta say after my brick today it kinda scared me, in that a I get off the bike and I locked up in my legs. And typically how big are the transition areas (distance wise, like 1/10th a mile or less) I know they would vary venue to venue but on average I guess what are they?
2011-05-14 2:11 PM

Extreme Veteran

I've done about 5 bricks now but in the traditional order (bike then run).  The first time I did it I felt like I was going to fall over.  Now it just takes me a few hundred yards to shake that feeling.  What gets messed up is my pacing.  I always take off way to hard off the bike.

Went for a group ride today. 30mile Tour of Sandestin.  It was nice and fairly flat.  Was able to hang with the lead pack the entire ride.  It's pretty fun riding in a peleton.  We were doing average 19-20 mph and felt like I was barely working.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Allison and Ryan's Beginner Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 29