BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2013-05-23 3:53 PM
in reply to: MJSolt

, Alabama
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED
Ooh we are allowed to vent?! Yippee...... Here goes. I know triathletes are competitive but I think trying to psyche out a newbie takes the biscuit. I was talking to a woman in my club about an upcoming tri I have entered and am a bit nervous about because it has a very big hill at the start of the cycle and the run is hilly too. She informed me that the hills are REAALLLY big much bigger than the last event we both entered and the hills on the run are absolutely HUGE but that last year she REALLY enjoyed the cycle......but she couldn't get a place this year because it was full. Suddenly I got my mojo back and went from thinking of pulling out of the event to trying to calculate just how much hill training I can fit into the next two weeks......game on! (And I checked last years results and she DNF)

2013-05-23 7:14 PM
in reply to: NMS

User image

Originally posted by NMS

Ooh we are allowed to vent?! Yippee...... Here goes. I know triathletes are competitive but I think trying to psyche out a newbie takes the biscuit. I was talking to a woman in my club about an upcoming tri I have entered and am a bit nervous about because it has a very big hill at the start of the cycle and the run is hilly too. She informed me that the hills are REAALLLY big much bigger than the last event we both entered and the hills on the run are absolutely HUGE but that last year she REALLY enjoyed the cycle......but she couldn't get a place this year because it was full. Suddenly I got my mojo back and went from thinking of pulling out of the event to trying to calculate just how much hill training I can fit into the next two weeks......game on! (And I checked last years results and she DNF)

Sounds like she justs wants to build herself up by putting someone else down. No matter how difficult the hills may be I would make sure to let her know after the race how you were expecting them to be worse. Sigh...that behavior is probably no better than hers. Personally I embrace the hills, no better feeling then cresting the top of an epic hill. It's not the steep hills that demoralize or scare me its the long prolonged slight grade that goes on forever.

Right now I am telling myself its because I am riding a 29'r mtn bike with knobby tires and not an uber giant trinity....
2013-05-23 7:24 PM
in reply to: Usulsuspct

User image

Veteran
Louisville
Hi guys! Just wanted to let you all know that I'm back *hopefully* for good and can't wait to get back into training and keeping up with you all. I finally went back to the gym and destroyed some weights. Just didn't feel like doing any cardio so decided to lift, plank and lift some more. Feeling great! Although I was supposed to do a tri on Saturday but have decided not to. The last 2 weeks have been so crazy and I just don't feel ready. I haven't gotten my bike tune up (which it needs especially after being on the trainer all winter) and haven't been in the water in weeks. So, I'm opting out which is a bummer but seems like the smart thing to do. Hope everyone's been doing well and thank you for all of your support, messages and kind words
2013-05-23 7:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by MJSolt

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete Boy, that was a quick vent Mike. Can you teach my wife to vent like that, is there an instructional book I can get her.

Speaking of instructional books...

Last week I ordered a copy of Total Immersion that I plan on reading tonight and trying to implement some of the drills. Maybe Ill try and read how to swim while I am pedaling the spin bike... I spin in my running shorts so it seems appropriate. Wink

That's what I used to learn how to swim also got the video since I'm more of a visual learner. It's been a valuable resource to me. I hope it is the same to you.
2013-05-23 10:17 PM
in reply to: Hubbie

User image

Extreme Veteran
Renee i am so glad to see you back and a part of the turtles. Only u could make the choice of doing the tri and we support you in your decision. There will be more and family should always come first. Again i am thrilled to see you back.
2013-05-23 10:39 PM

User image

Originally posted by Usulsuspct

Originally posted by NMS

Sounds like she justs wants to build herself up by putting someone else down. No matter how difficult the hills may be I would make sure to let her know after the race how you were expecting them to be worse. Sigh...that behavior is probably no better than hers. Personally I embrace the hills, no better feeling then cresting the top of an epic hill. It's not the steep hills that demoralize or scare me its the long prolonged slight grade that goes on forever.

Right now I am telling myself its because I am riding a 29'r mtn bike with knobby tires and not an uber giant trinity....

i still dread those never ending hills on my "uber giant trinity" its the downhill, flats and small rollers that are fun!

2013-05-24 5:09 AM
in reply to: corbetjackson50

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Evening all,
Rennay, great to hear you're back, and Beth, congrats on a pain free knee! It's good to hear you're both back in the saddle, so to speak.
And Noreen, i think you're way ahead of this lady before you've even started. Does she realise she hasn't frightened you off but given you and extra kick of motivation?
As for me, well, just plodding along at the moment. Went for a nice easy run yesterday but nothing today as I'm exhausted from work. Hoping for a bike and strength session tomorrow, then maybe a 45 min run on Sunday. Nothing too strenuous, I'm still just trying to build some base fitness and running condition.
2013-05-24 5:23 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
I have a question regarding swimming goggles, maybe someone can help? I have fairly close-set eyes and a narrow bridge of my nose, and i'm having a devil of a time finding goggles that don't leak. I was using Aqua Sphere Lady Kaimans this season but as I've lost weight and my eye sockets have deepened I'm finding water leaks in, generally around the medial corner of my eyes and usually when I'm exhaling underwater. Does anyone else have this problem, and how did you solve it? I'm thinking I may need to try some junior sizes, but I think they may be difficult to get hold of. Maybe ebay?
2013-05-24 6:38 AM

, Alabama
I cant wait until i can embrace the hills I keep tellin myself train only on hills then everything else will seem easy!

Itis tempting as you say to stoop to her level but I think simply finishing will be enough.........now just have to make sure I do that!
2013-05-24 6:38 AM
in reply to: Rnay225

, Alabama
Welcome back, glad you are back into training and feeling good.
2013-05-24 6:41 AM

, Alabama
Hi Taringa, yes she did me a favour as I have been dithering over doing this one! I am a bit perverse like that - tell me I cant do something and I will have to prove you wrong.

Glad your training is steady - it is a pain when work gets in the way isnt it? If only we could all devote all our time to training we would be superstars

2013-05-24 6:42 AM

, Alabama
I have a very narrow nose and find the aqua sphere kayennes good.
2013-05-24 8:27 AM

User image

Rensselaer, New York
Originally posted by Hubbie

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete Boy, that was a quick vent Mike. Can you teach my wife to vent like that, is there an instructional book I can get her.

Last week I ordered a copy of Total Immersion that I plan on reading tonight and trying to implement some of the drills. Maybe Ill try and read how to swim while I am pedaling the spin bike... I spin in my running shorts so it seems appropriate. Wink

That's what I used to learn how to swim also got the video since I'm more of a visual learner. It's been a valuable resource to me. I hope it is the same to you.

I want to start working on the first set of drills. Will I look like a tool, taking up a lap lane, just floating around on my back "hiding my face" and finding my "sweet spot"?

2013-05-24 8:30 AM
in reply to: corbetjackson50

User image

Rensselaer, New York

Originally posted by corbetjackson50
Originally posted by Usulsuspct
Originally posted by NMS Ooh we are allowed to vent?! Yippee...... Here goes. I know triathletes are competitive but I think trying to psyche out a newbie takes the biscuit. I was talking to a woman in my club about an upcoming tri I have entered and am a bit nervous about because it has a very big hill at the start of the cycle and the run is hilly too. She informed me that the hills are REAALLLY big much bigger than the last event we both entered and the hills on the run are absolutely HUGE but that last year she REALLY enjoyed the cycle......but she couldn't get a place this year because it was full. Suddenly I got my mojo back and went from thinking of pulling out of the event to trying to calculate just how much hill training I can fit into the next two weeks......game on! (And I checked last years results and she DNF)
Sounds like she justs wants to build herself up by putting someone else down. No matter how difficult the hills may be I would make sure to let her know after the race how you were expecting them to be worse. Sigh...that behavior is probably no better than hers. Personally I embrace the hills, no better feeling then cresting the top of an epic hill. It's not the steep hills that demoralize or scare me its the long prolonged slight grade that goes on forever. Right now I am telling myself its because I am riding a 29'r mtn bike with knobby tires and not an uber giant trinity....
i still dread those never ending hills on my "uber giant trinity" its the downhill, flats and small rollers that are fun!

My goal is to train hills like it's my job. I live in upstate NY and just about any Tri I do in this area will have hills. In the back on my find I have a glittler of a goal to do Ironman Lake Placid for my 40th birthday (I just turned 36). From what I have read it's pretty hilly in the Adirondacks. Wink

2013-05-24 8:31 AM

User image

Rensselaer, New York

I need to find a route to work that doesn't pass Dunkin Donuts...

2013-05-24 11:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Good morning everyone! I'm sure you've noticed my exuberant mood. Today was my first day on the weights since getting hurt. It was a bit tough but it felt great. I'm convinced my iPod is possessed though. I was struggling through my last set when BOOM by POD came on. It was just what I needed to blast through the last part.

Boom!
Here comes the
Boom!
Ready or not?
Here comes the boys from the South
Boom!
Here comes the
Boom!
Ready or not ?
How you like me now?, I say

Boom!
Here comes the
Boom!
Ready or not?
Boom!
Here comes the
Boom!
Ready or not?
How you like me now?

Is that all you got?, haha
I'll take your best shot
Is that all you got?, ha ha
I'll take your best shot
Is that all you got?, I'll take your best shot
I'll take your best shot, I'll take your best shot

Is that all you got?
(Well it's alright, it's alright)
I'll take your best shot
Is that all you got?
I'll take your best shot
Take your best shot, take your best shot

Boom!
Here comes the
Boom!
Ready or not?
Boom!
Here comes the
Boom!
Ready or not?
Haha, how you like me now?, I say

Boom!
Here comes the
Boom!
Ready or not?
Boom!
Here comes the
Boom!
Ready or not?
Haha, how you like me now?

2013-05-24 11:18 AM

User image

Veteran

I want to start working on the first set of drills. Will I look like a tool, taking up a lap lane, just floating around on my back "hiding my face" and finding my "sweet spot"?

Personally I really didn't care what others thought of me. It also helps that I used the 1100 am swim time so there aren't a lot if people there. I also practiced in the shower. I'd get my face as close to the spout as possible and got used to water in my face that way. Good luck!
2013-05-24 3:12 PM

User image

Rensselaer, New York

Personally I really didn't care what others thought of me. It also helps that I used the 1100 am swim time so there aren't a lot if people there. I also practiced in the shower. I'd get my face as close to the spout as possible and got used to water in my face that way. Good luck!

I really shouldn't care either. I either have to swim before work, or after work. I guess I could go later in the evening and hope the Y is less full. They only have 6 lap lanes because he other two are for open swim. Excited to get going, that's for sure.

2013-05-24 9:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by Taringa

I have a question regarding swimming goggles, maybe someone can help? I have fairly close-set eyes and a narrow bridge of my nose, and i'm having a devil of a time finding goggles that don't leak. I was using Aqua Sphere Lady Kaimans this season but as I've lost weight and my eye sockets have deepened I'm finding water leaks in, generally around the medial corner of my eyes and usually when I'm exhaling underwater. Does anyone else have this problem, and how did you solve it? I'm thinking I may need to try some junior sizes, but I think they may be difficult to get hold of. Maybe ebay?

I use TYR goggles. I noticed mine have assistant noise piece that can bring the lens closer together. They are a bit expensive but I've had my pair for three years and their as good as new.
2013-05-25 4:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Louisville

Good morning everyone! I'm sure you've noticed my exuberant mood. Today was my first day on the weights since getting hurt. It was a bit tough but it felt great. I'm convinced my iPod is possessed though. I was struggling through my last set when BOOM by POD came on. It was just what I needed to blast through the last part.

Boom!
Here comes the
Boom!
Ready or not?
Boom!
Here comes the
Boom!
Ready or not ?
How you like me now?, I say

Boom!
Here comes the
Boom!
Ready or not?
Boom!
Here comes the
Boom!
Ready or not?
How you like me now?

Is that all you got?, haha
I'll take your best shot
Is that all you got?, ha ha
I'll take your best shot
I'll take your best shot, I'll take your best shot

Is that all you got?
I'll take your best shot
Is that all you got?
I'll take your best shot

Boom!
Here comes the
Boom!
Ready or not?
Boom!
Here comes the
Boom!
Ready or not?
Haha, how you like me now?, I say

Boom!
Here comes the
Boom!
Ready or not?
Boom!
Here comes the
Boom!
Ready or not?
Haha, how you like me now?

I have this song on my ipod too and LOVE IT! I love days when the ipod is in sync with the workout!
2013-05-25 5:04 PM

Originally posted by Taringa

I use TYR goggles. I noticed mine have assistant noise piece that can bring the lens closer together. They are a bit expensive but I've had my pair for three years and their as good as new.

Remember that goggles leak as they wear out, so you may just need to replace this pair.
Goggles are a highly individualized product. What works spectacularly for me (the basic speedo pair everybody sells) may not work for someone else. What they use may not work for me.
If I were you, I'd get a new pair of the Lady Kaimans. If those don't solve the problem, try another set. Fortunately, goggles are pretty cheap as sports equipment goes.
Also helps the goggles if you take them in the shower with you after you swim and give them a wash and a rinse. The pool chlorine significantly shortens goggle life.

2013-05-25 5:09 PM
in reply to: RZ0

My workout week was really strange.
I was in Vancouver early in the week and had - no joke - the best run of my life in Stanley Park on Monday. It was so wonderful to be in good enough shape to run on and on and on (about an hour) and just enjoy the scenery. (Though those raccoons should just GET A ROOM!) It reminded me that the point of triathlons is not so much to win (I never will, and few of us ever do) but to be in good enough shape to enjoy the world in this special way.
Of course, then I came home and got jet lagged and missed three days.
2013-05-25 7:37 PM
in reply to: RZ0

User image

Veteran
Louisville
Originally posted by RZ0

My workout week was really strange.
I was in Vancouver early in the week and had - no joke - the best run of my life in Stanley Park on Monday. It was so wonderful to be in good enough shape to run on and on and on (about an hour) and just enjoy the scenery. (Though those raccoons should just GET A ROOM!) It reminded me that the point of triathlons is not so much to win (I never will, and few of us ever do) but to be in good enough shape to enjoy the world in this special way.
Of course, then I came home and got jet lagged and missed three days.

Glad you enjoyed your run! It is pretty cool when what used to be a long run becomes a standard one.
2013-05-25 7:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Louisville
I'm feeling very discouraged about my racing plans for the summer. After my tri last year I was so excited to be able to train through the winter and start racing right away in May to get the most out of the season. Well now May is over and I haven't raced once. It seems like every time I plan a race something happens that gets in the way. I'm also having financial difficulties since the unplanned funeral travel and expenses put a big strain on the bank accounts and it's making me feel like I'll miss this whole season. Because the weather's been so crazy, our water temps here are so low that I'd need a wetsuit (which I don't have and can't really afford right now). My bike also needs a tune up (not terribly expensive but still not really something I can justify right now) which is just another obstacle. I feel like all I have is running which I'm ok with but it's honestly not my favorite of the 3. I'm going out of the country in July (yay!) so that's more money to save and time away from racing and I'm moving out of state in August (and we all know how that goes) so I just feel very overwhelmed. Am I just making excuses? I'm not an excuse maker generally so I'm hoping I'm not becoming one. These just feel like legitimate issues right now and it's so frustrating! Sorry to complain and whine, needed an outlet and decided to use you fine folks since you "get" the whole triathlon thing.
2013-05-25 8:31 PM

User image

Originally posted by Rnay225

I'm feeling very discouraged about my racing plans for the summer. After my tri last year I was so excited to be able to train through the winter and start racing right away in May to get the most out of the season. Well now May is over and I haven't raced once. It seems like every time I plan a race something happens that gets in the way. I'm also having financial difficulties since the unplanned funeral travel and expenses put a big strain on the bank accounts and it's making me feel like I'll miss this whole season. Because the weather's been so crazy, our water temps here are so low that I'd need a wetsuit (which I don't have and can't really afford right now). My bike also needs a tune up (not terribly expensive but still not really something I can justify right now) which is just another obstacle. I feel like all I have is running which I'm ok with but it's honestly not my favorite of the 3. I'm going out of the country in July (yay!) so that's more money to save and time away from racing and I'm moving out of state in August (and we all know how that goes) so I just feel very overwhelmed. Am I just making excuses? I'm not an excuse maker generally so I'm hoping I'm not becoming one. These just feel like legitimate issues right now and it's so frustrating! Sorry to complain and whine, needed an outlet and decided to use you fine folks since you "get" the whole triathlon thing.

Life is gonna get in the way, that's just gonna happen so just enjoy the training. Maybe pick one race this year and enjoy the journey to it. It will make that one event all that more fun and important. Of course this is coming from someone who hasn't done his first tri yet and isn't planning on one until next season, so take what I say with a grain of salt

As far as making excuses, we all do it and only you know if they are just that. If the bike will roll that's pretty much all you need, just think the added workout you will get with only one gear and brake rub! Now the swim, well that's one I find tough to get up for, my issue is just that I suck at it.

Just keep at it, things will work themselves out and you will find your groove again!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 45