BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2014-02-08 1:42 PM
in reply to: Mikey73

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed
Originally posted by Mikey73

Guys I need some help and motivation to train.
I have been dealing with a very stressful situation and the wheels have fallen off my training. I know I need to start again but motivating myself is what I am finding difficult. I'm not doing anything at the moment. I need a kick start.
I'm still around even though I haven't been on the site lately. But I just thought I'd stick my head up and say hi.

Michael

Starting up again is hard. Think small. Small as in small goals or workouts. Just doing a little may get your juices flowing again.
Your stressing, go for a 20 minute or even 10 minute run or bike. Don't think about it too much, just go. Usually, I feel better and want to do it again the next day and gradually I roll back into my routine.
Baby steps?

2014-02-08 9:37 PM
in reply to: Mikey73

User image

Extreme Veteran

I have been dealing with a very stressful situation and the wheels have fallen off my training. I know I need to start again but motivating myself is what I am finding difficult. I'm not doing anything at the moment. I need a kick start.
I'm still around even though I haven't been on the site lately. But I just thought I'd stick my head up and say hi.

Michael

Michael, it's as simple at this point as getting up and do something, anything!!!!! Also I want to say that you popping your head up and in every once in a while probably isn't what you need to be doing. Start using the log on a daily bases. Seeing the numbers or lack there of is accountability and motivation all in one. Next, be active in this group!!! To share things like accomplishments and even defeats is a big deal. Some of us can't come home to a person who is going to think its great that we just biked twenty miles or how it was fun. That is what the turtles are for! In closing. Get active, be active, stay active.
2014-02-08 9:49 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Houston, Texas
Michael,

This is something that helps me. Logging in each day to check the thread at the very least. Like Todd said, seeing my log each day gets me more motivated. I don't like seeing so many empty days in a row. It's become a habit to hop on the site each day. You should aim for 10 mins tomorrow, and build up from there. You can get going again!

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Michael

Michael, it's as simple at this point as getting up and do something, anything!!!!! Also I want to say that you popping your head up and in every once in a while probably isn't what you need to be doing. Start using the log on a daily bases. Seeing the numbers or lack there of is accountability and motivation all in one. Next, be active in this group!!! To share things like accomplishments and even defeats is a big deal. Some of us can't come home to a person who is going to think its great that we just biked twenty miles or how it was fun. That is what the turtles are for! In closing. Get active, be active, stay active.
2014-02-09 12:48 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Hi Turtles

It's been a big week for me. I'm working again, my ankle is getting better each day and a new gym has opened up near home.

Being back at work I'm sitting at a computer 8 - 10 hours a day and I have an hour commute each way. That's the scenario I've faced for the last 20 years which has led to a sedentary lifestyle. This time it's going to be different. There is a pool 5 minutes from work so I'm aiming to get there 3 days a week. I can't believe how fortunate I am to have a pool close by when I read of the effort some people in our group make to go for a swim. If I'm tempted to slack off I'll think of those early starters to motivate me.

I've joined the gym near home and been there twice already concentrating on upper body & core exercises. Today I went for a swim at the beach to test my ankle and managed to swim with little or no kicking so I should be ok at the pool. There will be no running or bike for me for a while though. I'm focussing on what I can do rather than what I can't do.

I've had the chance to catch up with some reading while I'm on the train travelling to work. The latest Tri magazines have the usual features on the elite athletes but seem to have more articles about "weekend warriors" which is recognition for age group participants like us. Good to see.

Keep the posts coming, they keep me motivated

Rod

PS: While some of you are in the snow we're going through a heat wave. The minimum temperature overnight was 30C / 86F. Unfortunately a lot of bushfires are now starting to break out in rural and some outer suburban areas.

Edited by AussieTurtle 2014-02-09 12:49 AM
2014-02-09 4:53 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Michael, have you ever been to a parkrun? It's a 5km timed run, on every Saturday, put on by volunteers and the people you meet at parkrun events are fantastic. You can run or walk, it's not a race, just a weekly outing and if you've got saturdays free it's a great way to start the weekend and get a bit of motivation going. There's one at Bulli: http://www:parkrun.com.au/sandonpoint/ 

Edited by Taringa 2014-02-09 4:55 AM
2014-02-09 5:07 AM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Originally posted by AussieTurtle Hi Turtles It's been a big week for me. I'm working again, my ankle is getting better each day and a new gym has opened up near home. Being back at work I'm sitting at a computer 8 - 10 hours a day and I have an hour commute each way. That's the scenario I've faced for the last 20 years which has led to a sedentary lifestyle. This time it's going to be different. There is a pool 5 minutes from work so I'm aiming to get there 3 days a week. I can't believe how fortunate I am to have a pool close by when I read of the effort some people in our group make to go for a swim. If I'm tempted to slack off I'll think of those early starters to motivate me. I've joined the gym near home and been there twice already concentrating on upper body & core exercises. Today I went for a swim at the beach to test my ankle and managed to swim with little or no kicking so I should be ok at the pool. There will be no running or bike for me for a while though. I'm focussing on what I can do rather than what I can't do. I've had the chance to catch up with some reading while I'm on the train travelling to work. The latest Tri magazines have the usual features on the elite athletes but seem to have more articles about "weekend warriors" which is recognition for age group participants like us. Good to see. Keep the posts coming, they keep me motivated Rod PS: While some of you are in the snow we're going through a heat wave. The minimum temperature overnight was 30C / 86F. Unfortunately a lot of bushfires are now starting to break out in rural and some outer suburban areas.

Having a pool so close by is a bonus! Especially when you're nursing an injury, the no-impact cardio is great. I've never tried aqua-jogging but that's meant to be very good for keeping (and increasing) run fitness while you can't run, maybe it's worth looking into that technique as well?

2014-02-09 4:35 PM

User image

New user

Winter Springs, Florida
Been sick all week, will start over again tomorrow.

Michael , welcome back ! Remember one day, one step one moment at a time. Life gets in the way, but that's why I like this group, there is always someone there to help us get back on track. Have a nice week !!!

User image

New user

Winter Springs, Florida

Michael , welcome back ! Remember one day, one step one moment at a time. Life gets in the way, but that's why I like this group, there is always someone there to help us get back on track. Have a nice week !!!

User image

New user

Winter Springs, Florida

2014-02-09 8:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bike for Little Heros Ride (Red, White, and Bike Org.)

Charity Ride (all money goes towards purchasing bikes for children of soldiers)

Well I couldn't decided whether or not to do the 20 or 36 mile route. Well it was decided for me when I asked at mile 12 where the turn was for the 20 mile route and was told that I missed it 4 miles back, LOL. I told him thanks and knew that the 36 mile route was what I would be doing. It was 45 and foggy at the start and 49 and starting to mist when I finished. Averaged just over Zone 2 for the ride and averaged 17. All and all a nice ride and a great cause.

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2014-02-10 8:12 AM

(New Iphone 006.JPG)

(New Iphone 007.JPG)

(New Iphone 009.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
New Iphone 006.JPG (2191KB - 5 downloads)
New Iphone 007.JPG (2217KB - 3 downloads)
New Iphone 009.JPG (1921KB - 5 downloads)
2014-02-10 7:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
After running 6.6 miles in the cold, we had 3 lacrosse practices between the boys. The last one was outside and we were so cold. It started snowing an hour into it.

Hubby was like "okay now it's snowing, coach will stop practice since you can't see the white ball..." Coach was like sike, florescent yellow - green ball for my peeps!

(MDX lax tryouts 020914.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
MDX lax tryouts 020914.jpg (28KB - 6 downloads)

2014-02-10 8:14 AM
in reply to: Lovey

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Lovey

After running 6.6 miles in the cold, we had 3 lacrosse practices between the boys. The last one was outside and we were so cold. It started snowing an hour into it.

Hubby was like "okay now it's snowing, coach will stop practice since you can't see the white ball..." Coach was like sike, florescent yellow - green ball for my peeps!

That picture is awesome. The funny thing is that you know while yall were miserable he was loving it and probably asked for the colored ball.
2014-02-10 11:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area

Originally posted by Lovey

That picture is awesome. The funny thing is that you know while yall were miserable he was loving it and probably asked for the colored ball.

He was having fun too! My youger son was not getting out the car for anything. He went to sleep with pillows and blankets.
We tried taking turns going to the field and being in the car since it was out of sight.
We had surgical latex gloves under our regular gloves for added warmth. The things we do for our kids. we get to do this every weekend in February (sat and sun)!

With everything going on, I managed to get in some decent workouts. It wasn't my full planned workouts but I still did ok. I still had one rest day.
2 runs (goal is 3)
2 spins (goal is 3)
3 swim

I hope everyone starts off a good week.
2014-02-10 12:29 PM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by AussieTurtle

Hi Turtles

It's been a big week for me. I'm working again, my ankle is getting better each day and a new gym has opened up near home.

Being back at work I'm sitting at a computer 8 - 10 hours a day and I have an hour commute each way. That's the scenario I've faced for the last 20 years which has led to a sedentary lifestyle. This time it's going to be different. There is a pool 5 minutes from work so I'm aiming to get there 3 days a week. I can't believe how fortunate I am to have a pool close by when I read of the effort some people in our group make to go for a swim. If I'm tempted to slack off I'll think of those early starters to motivate me.

I've joined the gym near home and been there twice already concentrating on upper body & core exercises. Today I went for a swim at the beach to test my ankle and managed to swim with little or no kicking so I should be ok at the pool. There will be no running or bike for me for a while though. I'm focussing on what I can do rather than what I can't do.

I've had the chance to catch up with some reading while I'm on the train travelling to work. The latest Tri magazines have the usual features on the elite athletes but seem to have more articles about "weekend warriors" which is recognition for age group participants like us. Good to see.

Keep the posts coming, they keep me motivated

Rod

PS: While some of you are in the snow we're going through a heat wave. The minimum temperature overnight was 30C / 86F. Unfortunately a lot of bushfires are now starting to break out in rural and some outer suburban areas.

Sounds like things are getting better all around you. Heal up, Stay Positive, and Turtle On!
2014-02-10 12:31 PM
in reply to: dwilling

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by dwilling

Glad to have you back and hopefully you've kicked that bug far away.
2014-02-10 12:41 PM

User image

I'm back from my week in Houston. I had planned to swim everyday at the hotel's outdoor pool, but it was chilly (40's F) and the pool didn't look like it got much loving in the off season, so I decided to run the treadmill instead. Treadmill running is interesting, it feels like it's harder to run fast on a treadmill, yet it seems easier to run longer distance. Is that just me of do others feel that way too?

First time back at the pool today in about 2 weeks. Definitely felt like I was struggling more and wanted to stop early, but I kept saying to myself "how are you going to tell the other Turtles that you quit early?" So thank you everyone, for helping me to hold myself accountable for a solid work out!

Edited by cassowary 2014-02-10 12:42 PM

2014-02-10 8:15 PM
in reply to: cassowary

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by cassowary

I'm back from my week in Houston. I had planned to swim everyday at the hotel's outdoor pool, but it was chilly (40's F) and the pool didn't look like it got much loving in the off season, so I decided to run the treadmill instead. Treadmill running is interesting, it feels like it's harder to run fast on a treadmill, yet it seems easier to run longer distance. Is that just me of do others feel that way too?

First time back at the pool today in about 2 weeks. Definitely felt like I was struggling more and wanted to stop early, but I kept saying to myself "how are you going to tell the other Turtles that you quit early?" So thank you everyone, for helping me to hold myself accountable for a solid work out!

Got to Razz you a bit here. Did you really think you were going to come to Texas in early February and swim outside in a hotel pool? We are pretty warm but we are far from being Hawaii. As far as the treadmill goes, I always feel like I'm running very "clunky" if that's a word. I do think that the treadmill is easier is some ways but harder in others (mostly the staying in one place thing). Glad to hear that you did put in work while you were gone and did not just say O'well which would have been easy for you to do. Great Job
2014-02-10 9:39 PM

User image

Subject: Getting going
So it snowed here and I was stuck at home over my birthday weekend. Needless to say I ate lots of junk, cake, and didn't workout at all. As a nice reminder my family gave me a schedule for adult swim lessons and told me to pick one for my birthday. I was really excited and ready to sign up for a class that starts later this month only to find that they are FULL!! Disappointed, I began searching for other classes and the soonest one I can take starts is April and I cannot sign up until March. *sigh* I am feeling kinda down but I am ready to start back up.
2014-02-11 4:42 AM
in reply to: RachMart

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Subject: RE: Getting going

Hey Dayra, good to hear you're back on deck and well again. Starting over can be a great thing! Lovey, fantastic perseverance, and Cassowary, I'm glad the turtle sitting on your shoulder had a little word in your ear and kept you going in the pool ! Rach, that's a bit of a bummer about the swim lessons, maybe you can put yourself down on a waiting list in case someone pulls out?

2014-02-11 7:03 AM
in reply to: RachMart

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Getting going
Originally posted by RachMart

So it snowed here and I was stuck at home over my birthday weekend. Needless to say I ate lots of junk, cake, and didn't workout at all. As a nice reminder my family gave me a schedule for adult swim lessons and told me to pick one for my birthday. I was really excited and ready to sign up for a class that starts later this month only to find that they are FULL!! Disappointed, I began searching for other classes and the soonest one I can take starts is April and I cannot sign up until March. *sigh* I am feeling kinda down but I am ready to start back up.

You can view it as a negative or think to yourself, I'm going to work now on my cardio base now by running and biking, which will pay greatly once I'm able to hit the water! If you not struggling cardio wish during the swim lessons, you will more easily be able to concentrate and work on your swim technique and breathing. You can almost always find a silver lining
2014-02-11 7:37 AM

User image

Got to Razz you a bit here. Did you really think you were going to come to Texas in early February and swim outside in a hotel pool? We are pretty warm but we are far from being Hawaii. As far as the treadmill goes, I always feel like I'm running very "clunky" if that's a word. I do think that the treadmill is easier is some ways but harder in others (mostly the staying in one place thing). Glad to hear that you did put in work while you were gone and did not just say O'well which would have been easy for you to do. Great Job

OH yea, I totally expected Houston to by warm and sunny. You're further south than San Diego, but you act like you're in Pennsylvania - what's up with that?

2014-02-11 9:59 AM
in reply to: cassowary

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by cassowary

OH yea, I totally expected Houston to by warm and sunny. You're further south than San Diego, but you act like you're in Pennsylvania - what's up with that?

Hey, it's like Russian down here, I must have had four snow flakes hit by truck last week
2014-02-11 3:45 PM

User image

Houston, Texas
Wow... after my last post about how getting on the site helps me stay motivated I completely fell off the wagon!

Actually, I feel like I got run over by the wagon. I got hit hard with a sinus infection this weekend. Friday nights I always go watch my boyfriend's soccer games, so I don't work out. Saturday I cleaned like crazy, which was nice, but started feeling a bit under the weather Saturday evening. I mentioned that one side of my throat hurt and everything tasted funny, but that I was going to hit the gym in the morning. Yeah right... went to bed and about 2 am woke up with a full blown sinus infection. Needless to say, I didn't do anything on Sunday (whine and moan, but I don't think there is a spot for that on my log).

Worked from home yesterday, and dragged my butt into the office today. I'm feeling much better, but I didn't bring my workout clothes so I won't be hitting the gym on the way home. I'll be sure to pack my gym bag tonight for tomorrow though. I definitely need it... I've eaten *horribly* the last couple of days. I finally realized that I was eating b/c it made my throat feel better, and not b/c I was hungry when I couldn't finish dinner from being too full! I don't keep track of my weight, and I'm thinking this is one of those times I'm glad I don't... I don't want to see the increase in numbers from the complete lack of movement and massive increase in junk food ; )

Glad to see everyone doing well. Getting out and moving ^_^ Time for me to get back on the ball!

Shannon
2014-02-11 7:17 PM
in reply to: tweets_4611

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

OK, need some advice...I'm toying with the idea of a half iron distance race in August, I don't know if it's an achievable goal or a nuts idea. I still consider myself a newbie at the sport, I've only completed one sprint tri so far. I have been training around 18 months and in that time I've done a few enticer tri's, a half marathon, a 10km race and numerous 5ks, but I haven't logged an olympic distance tri yet, which seems to be a normal and sensible part of the progression. I'm just coming back from injury and feeling my way rather cautiously, I don't want to be back on the sidelines injured again. Currently I can devote around 6-7 hours a week to training, at the most I'll be able to push it to 10 hours some weeks.

So, given my situation and available time, what do you think?  Is 7-10 hours per week enough to be able to finish the distance?

2014-02-11 7:20 PM

User image

New user

Winter Springs, Florida
Good to be back !!!
Bike -done
Strength - done
sport -done
Felt so good to do this today ..
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  

of 33

RELATED POSTS

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24945 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16474 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 30260 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 19204 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 29, 2013
author : jtriathlete
comments : 0
I'm curious about the 'don't increase your run by more than 10% per week' rule. Is there a minimum mileage under which this doesn't apply?

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.
date : October 2, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Yes, the Dual is a little heavier than Cervèlo’s high end counterparts. But…the price is within reach of the masses and it still incorporates all of the design features that make a Cervèlo special.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.