Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2007-06-16 12:16 PM
in reply to: #801094

User image

Somerset, England
Subject: RE: David Gillen's Group - FULL
Hi guys (and P of course!),

Okay I've done it..... I've entered my first Tri in 4 weeks time which I guess means I'm now committed (and standing by to get hooked on completion). Short distances which seems sensible at this stage (400m swim, 12 mile bike, 4 mile run) and will be a prep-race before another event I've entered at the end of July. Guess my life is about to change! Thanks for all of the advice - time to put it into practise and I'm already thinking about Transition techniques. Anyone got any golden advice for this about laying the kit out etc?

Having caught up with the forum there had been lots of good stuff and I found the wetsuit bits excellent advice for when I take the plunge (no pun intended!) maybe next year to get one. Most of the events around here seem to have pool swims so not sure when I might need to splash out(!). Had a great 20 mile ride today although it was hilly and therefore HR was higher than I hoped for but the legs are feeling stronger and the average speed seems to be climbing slowly. Intend to do a 10 mile/6 mile bike/run brick tomorrow as the weather should be good fun and can't wait to get out there and do it. One thing I have noticed from the variety of the training is that I always feel fresh for each session which was not the case when doing the marathon training. I am also finding it tempting to try and train twice a day (different disciplines) which I am resisting to try and keep a balanced 2 swims, 3 rides, 3 runs weekly programme. Would you advise stepping this up a little David?

Well enough rabbitting from me, have a good weekend all and looking forward to hearing the training stories from you all on Monday.

2007-06-16 12:51 PM
in reply to: #846938

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

PocketRocket - 2007-06-16 12:16 PM Hi guys (and P of course!), Okay I've done it..... I've entered my first Tri in 4 weeks time which I guess means I'm now committed (and standing by to get hooked on completion). Short distances which seems sensible at this stage (400m swim, 12 mile bike, 4 mile run) and will be a prep-race before another event I've entered at the end of July. Guess my life is about to change! Thanks for all of the advice - time to put it into practise and I'm already thinking about Transition techniques. Anyone got any golden advice for this about laying the kit out etc?

The simpler the better.  I used to mess with lots of gear in transistion and my times were slow.  Only in my last 2 tris have I kept it simple and minimized my times.  Have a filled bottle ready to go in one of your cages.  Layout a small towel on the ground to claim your space.  Socks (if any), shoes, sunglasses, and helmet in T1.  That's about it.  You might also want a small hand towel to dry your feet a little before putting on socks if you use them.  I do this.  T2, off with cycling shoes, on with the running ones.  Grab a hat or visor, and your race belt with your bib number and your off.  I put my visor and race belt on while running out of T2.

I'm really excited for you, Mike.  You're going to love it.  I already know.   

Having caught up with the forum there had been lots of good stuff and I found the wetsuit bits excellent advice for when I take the plunge (no pun intended!) maybe next year to get one. Most of the events around here seem to have pool swims so not sure when I might need to splash out(!). Had a great 20 mile ride today although it was hilly and therefore HR was higher than I hoped for but the legs are feeling stronger and the average speed seems to be climbing slowly. Intend to do a 10 mile/6 mile bike/run brick tomorrow as the weather should be good fun and can't wait to get out there and do it. One thing I have noticed from the variety of the training is that I always feel fresh for each session which was not the case when doing the marathon training.

You know, Mike, it's fine for your HR to go high sometimes.  You don't always have to keep it in Z2, especially if you're training for short distance racing!   I'm so glad that you're feeling fresh for each session.  Keep up what ever you're doing b/c it's working.  I'm glad to hear that your cycling speed in improving too.  That's awesome.  One comment: 6 miles is pretty far to run after cycling.  I'd rather see you do a 15 mile ride, and a 3-4 mile run.  But, do what you want.  You're doing great!

I am also finding it tempting to try and train twice a day (different disciplines) which I am resisting to try and keep a balanced 2 swims, 3 rides, 3 runs weekly programme. Would you advise stepping this up a little David? Well enough rabbitting from me, have a good weekend all and looking forward to hearing the training stories from you all on Monday.

2 workouts a day is fine, just be sure not to over do it.  I don't know if it's quite necessary for you, but if want to give it a try, go ahead.  Most people who do "2-a-days" will workout in the AM, and then again after work in the evening.  If you do this be sure to eat well and healthy throughout the day so you can replenish your glycogen stores for your evening workout.

2007-06-16 6:50 PM

Regular
Indiana
Pocket,
I will do training 2x per day just to catch up on training or if I know I will be missing a day, other than that I keep it to one a day. I would agree with David that a 15M Mbike with a 3-4 M run would do fine for a brick, I usually keep my brick runs in that range.

Congratulations on signing up for your first tri.
2007-06-16 7:22 PM

User image

Expert
Someone tell me it's okay to ride my mountain bike on the trails here. It's sooooo much more fun! No traffic, no nasty downhills, no clipless dealies, no skinny little fragile tires. And GORGEOUS scenery--breathtaking views, lots of nice shade, the coolest tunnel--it's all misty and when you get a few hundred yards from it, you start to feel the cool air coming from it and see the bilateral trickle of water on either side of the road. The tunnel is at the 13 mile point. I wanted to go to the second tunnel, but I forgot a flashlight and a quarter way through, I kept running into the water on the side of the tunnel and decided to just turn around and go back and settle for 26 miles today (plus the 7 I did on the trainer earlier til it stopped raining). I even got to race a deer, two rabbits and a squirrel! It actually RELAXED me, instead of almost making me panic and my hands get all sweaty from over gripping on my tribike fighting the nasty traffic! Hey, it's still biking, right? And my time was actually faster than on my tribike! I think my legs had to exert more, but it was so much more FUN! Can't wait to get out on the Human Powered Trails next. Unless our Fearless Leader thinks I'm wasting my time on the mountain bike? Cuz I won't be mountain biking through shady trails for my Century, the MS 150 or an IM. I won't ditch the tribike. I just am enjoying the longer rides on the trails for now. We are famous for them! There's even a place to get water along there, and if I went further, there are little towns with restaurant/concession stands. And there are places to sit on benches, and you can pee in the woods fairly easily I don't know if I'll ever be up to peeing on my bike during a race..........
2007-06-17 10:35 AM
in reply to: #846843

User image

Pro
Texas
dgillen - 2007-06-16 8:43 AM

phoenixrising404 - 2007-06-15 7:32 PM David--I'm very very very tempted to add a few races to my calendar. Namely the MS 150 bike ride August 4 and 5.

I've never done a MS150, but I've heard they're great.

The one I did with Karen last year(Frisco - Ft. Worth) was extremely well-organized. Plenty of fully-stocked rest stops, lots of ride marshals, & more sag wagons than I've seen at any other rally. The only complaint I had was the shuttle from the hotel to TMS on the 2nd morning. They didn't have enough shuttles so we ended up having to snag a ride on a sag wagon that was staying at the same place. If they've corrected that issue this year then I'm betting the whole thing is done well.
2007-06-17 3:41 PM

User image

Expert
JBrashear--Good to know! Sounds like a winner to me! I did email the gal about the MS150 to tell her I'm in, but she probably doesn't check her email obsessively every 10 minutes like I do. Hopefully tomorrow or the next day I can get in touch with her and find out the fundraising details. Anyone have any trouble with that part? MS is such a horrible disease! I have had many patients through the years with it, and there is just so little hope for them. They just wither away and get progressively worse and worse. Whenever my legs hurt and I feel like quitting with a run or whatever, all I have to do is think of my paralyzed and MS patients. Then I get my redbike back in gear--suck it up, right?!!

And if there is a long ride with controlled traffic and lots of people around doing fun things, then that will be GREAT! It will be as fun as mountain biking, but faster I did a 4 hour spinathon at the Y in March and that was really fun! Different instructors every half hour with different themes (my favorite was Charlie and the Chocolate factory theme--we had to listen to the entire movie soundtrack, the instructor wore Huge glasses and a tophat and we got CHOCOLATE eggs every so often and for knowing trivia about the movies!!). I'm thinking now there should be separate sections of road along every highway in the US just for bikes! (Well, just as soon as you all write me in for President, I'll make it a law!)

2007-06-18 8:18 AM
in reply to: #847610

User image

Pro
Texas
Basically the only rule is that you have to raise $300(or cover the amount less than $300 you raise).
2007-06-18 10:08 AM
in reply to: #848253

User image

Champion
Butler
JBrashear - 2007-06-18 8:18 AM Basically the only rule is that you have to raise $300(or cover the amount less than $300 you raise).
Yep.  They is the only rule.  In dallas you had until a month after the ride to raise the money.  If you don't raise it or contribute the difference yourself I heard they do not let you do it again.  I raised $270 myself and then paid $30 to cover the difference.  I only asked a select number of people, mostly family who I knew had the money or I could have raised more.  It is definately alot easier than TNT where you have to raise $3K plus.
2007-06-18 10:57 AM

Veteran
Well today kinda sucked. I had my body fat taken today and I knew it would be bad. At 5'10" I weighed in at 194 lbs and 21.00% fat! The machine says that I should be at 178.5 lbs and approx 14.00% body fat. I feel like crap today, I fell asleep 3 times at work today and I am just exhausted. The pool workout was OK, but I had 0 energy and a bad attitude by the time I got home. I laid on the bed for a few tempted to fall asleep again, but I pushed myself out the door for a bike ride and now I feel much better. I really think that my poor nutrition is killing my training and zapping all of my energy, so it's time for me to make a change.

David, I thought I remembered that you had lost a lot of weight and I could reallly use your help (or anyone else that has a success story behind their idea). I've always had a problem keeping my weight down and I tend to lose weight very slowly. I'm working my butt off right now with training, but I eat like crap and tons of it. I am going to go through all the articles you have collected for us, but I really need to get spun up on nutrition requirements and how to build my own nutrition plan. I know this is pretty complicated and so I was wondering if you would mind pointing me in the right direction. I would really like to be as close to this weight goal as I can by my HIM in September.
2007-06-18 11:17 AM
in reply to: #848660

User image

Champion
Butler

Timo - 2007-06-18 10:57 AM Well today kinda sucked. I had my body fat taken today and I knew it would be bad. At 5'10" I weighed in at 194 lbs and 21.00% fat! The machine says that I should be at 178.5 lbs and approx 14.00% body fat. I feel like crap today, I fell asleep 3 times at work today and I am just exhausted. The pool workout was OK, but I had 0 energy and a bad attitude by the time I got home. I laid on the bed for a few tempted to fall asleep again, but I pushed myself out the door for a bike ride and now I feel much better. I really think that my poor nutrition is killing my training and zapping all of my energy, so it's time for me to make a change. David, I thought I remembered that you had lost a lot of weight and I could reallly use your help (or anyone else that has a success story behind their idea). I've always had a problem keeping my weight down and I tend to lose weight very slowly. I'm working my butt off right now with training, but I eat like crap and tons of it. I am going to go through all the articles you have collected for us, but I really need to get spun up on nutrition requirements and how to build my own nutrition plan. I know this is pretty complicated and so I was wondering if you would mind pointing me in the right direction. I would really like to be as close to this weight goal as I can by my HIM in September.
Timo,  Just keep at it.  If you keep training and watching what you eat and the weight will come off.  You BF% can vary based on time of day also.  How did they test it, did they use a hand held machine or calipers?  I have a handheld (well actually 2) unit that I do almost every morning when I get up so I know it is at least a consistant reading.  At my heaviest I weighted 240 which is not alot considering I am 6'7" but it was all in my stomach.  I think it was sympathy weight from when my wife was pregnant.  I am now down to 205ish.  I really don't even what what I eat most of it is from excersice.  I don't eat reall bad but I don't eat like I should  I can only suggest not eating alot of bad foods, eat alot of small meals and don't do any get skinny quick diets.  I tried atkins and lost 20lbs in one month but gained it back in 2 weeks.  Another suggestion, which is more mental at least for me, is don't use the term workout, say train.  In my mind working out is work and I hate to work.  I don't mind training. 

Even at 21% you are not that high.  If you get to 15 or 16 percent you are only talking 8-10 lbs of fat.  I would just chalk today up as a bad day and get after it. 

2007-06-18 11:27 AM

User image

Expert
Tim, Tim, Tim--ease up there, buddy! Be gentle with yourself here! First of all--HOW did you get your BF taken? Those bioimpedance scales are worse than useless for athletic/muscular folks. I just got a digital caliper and that seems much more accurate. Second--why would a MACHINE tell you to be at 14%? That is highly variable. For women, at least, anything under 20% is considered very athletic and we are not encouraged to go too far under that. I am at 20% now and was delighted with that number, as the stupid bioimpedance scale says I'm at 32%!!! It really messed with my head for a long time! I started seeing fat where there was none, and it made me very depressed. Then people told me to cut it out. They said there was no way that machine was accurate and I looked great, and to just stop using the scale. THird, if you are tired--SLOW DOWN. Listen to your body. I don't always do that and then I get in trouble with my adrenals which are not too healthy. I had to take dexamethasone injections in my legs for a year and a half a few years back. WHen I over do it, I get these horrible waves of dizziness and exhaustion and nearly faint. Usually while driving or some other such nasty situation. Don't let yourself get sick here! When your body says to rest--do it! And cheer up,your family loves you! That's the most important thing anyway

2007-06-18 11:36 AM
in reply to: #848660

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

Timo - 2007-06-18 10:57 AM Well today kinda sucked. I had my body fat taken today and I knew it would be bad. At 5'10" I weighed in at 194 lbs and 21.00% fat! The machine says that I should be at 178.5 lbs and approx 14.00% body fat. I feel like crap today, I fell asleep 3 times at work today and I am just exhausted. The pool workout was OK, but I had 0 energy and a bad attitude by the time I got home. I laid on the bed for a few tempted to fall asleep again, but I pushed myself out the door for a bike ride and now I feel much better.

Tim, excellent job of pushing thru a bad day. We all have bad days. I've been having more than few recently. I find it helpful to accept the fact that bad days happen and I try not to dwell on it and just know that tomorrow will be a new day.

The fact that you were able to get out the door and go for a ride is great and testament to your drive and will power. So much of what we do is just showing up. Many times the hard step is that first one out the door. So good job.

I really think that my poor nutrition is killing my training and zapping all of my energy, so it's time for me to make a change. David, I thought I remembered that you had lost a lot of weight and I could reallly use your help (or anyone else that has a success story behind their idea). I've always had a problem keeping my weight down and I tend to lose weight very slowly. I'm working my butt off right now with training, but I eat like crap and tons of it. I am going to go through all the articles you have collected for us, but I really need to get spun up on nutrition requirements and how to build my own nutrition plan. I know this is pretty complicated and so I was wondering if you would mind pointing me in the right direction. I would really like to be as close to this weight goal as I can by my HIM in September.

I'm sorry to hear that you're down about your weight and body fat. Try not to let it get you down, and just focus on the positive things like you're still a lot healthier than most and most importantly you have the desire to lose body fat! These are good things.

Yes, back in 2001, I went from about 250 to about 200 over a 9 month period. I'm 6'2". I actually ran a marathon in Feb 2001, and I didn't lose any weight during my 4 months of training prior to that b/c I also ate like crap. It wasn't until after my marathon when I started watching what I ate that the pounds became to come off. I switched from regular to diet soft drinks (HUGE benefit), and I learned to eat smaller portions. I continued running and lift weights too. (I wasn't tri'ing yet).

Looking back, I think portion control was the biggest contributor to my weight loss. I didn't know it at the time, but I think I followed an idea similar to Volumetrics. I knew that foods that were physically heavy or had a lot of volume to them made me feel fuller. Thus, I tried to eat a lot of fruit: bananas, apples, oranges. Think about it: If you eat a whole banana and a whole apple back to back as a snack, you'll be pretty full and you will have only taken in about 150 calories and a lot of good nutrients. Compare that to handful of chips that would do nothing to help you feel fuller. I also would use protein shakes.

It definitely wasn't easy trying to "shrink your stomach" and teach it to expect less food. I was hungry often and even would go to sleep that way some nights. But in the end, the weight and fat came off.

Now, the tough part for you and all of us triathletes, is that we expend (and thus need) a lot of calories. You definitely should not try to cut back too drastically on your caloric intake as this will hurt your training. The key and challenge will be finding a balance between too much and too little. Be sure to eat a healthy recovery shake or meal soon after your toughest workouts. Also, eat a decent breakfast also as this will help jump start your metabolism for the day. Obviously, try to minimize saturated and other bad fat intake as well as refined sugars (except during and after training). Don't skimp on protein though.

I'll continue to list more tips, but do read the articles I've listed as they've stated it better than I can. As you probably know, losing weight and fat is not really complicated. You need to burn more than you take in. That's it, really. If you can do that consistently, the weight will come off.

Let me ask you, Tim, are you wanting to create a detail nutrition plan where you plan and count all of your calories. There are pros and cons to doing this.

Also, let us know some of your "vices'. What bad foods do you love? Also, what specific ways can I or we help you with?

BTW, I love cookies and chips. I eat too many of these! I'm at about 182 now, and I'd love to get back down to my IM weight of about 172.

Edited by dgillen 2007-06-18 11:41 AM
2007-06-18 11:48 AM
in reply to: #848747

User image

Champion
Butler
phoenixrising404 - 2007-06-18 11:27 AM Tim, Tim, Tim--ease up there, buddy! Be gentle with yourself here! First of all--HOW did you get your BF taken? Those bioimpedance scales are worse than useless for athletic/muscular folks. I just got a digital caliper and that seems much more accurate. Second--why would a MACHINE tell you to be at 14%? That is highly variable. For women, at least, anything under 20% is considered very athletic and we are not encouraged to go too far under that. I am at 20% now and was delighted with that number, as the stupid bioimpedance scale says I'm at 32%!!! It really messed with my head for a long time! I started seeing fat where there was none, and it made me very depressed. Then people told me to cut it out. They said there was no way that machine was accurate and I looked great, and to just stop using the scale. THird, if you are tired--SLOW DOWN. Listen to your body. I don't always do that and then I get in trouble with my adrenals which are not too healthy. I had to take dexamethasone injections in my legs for a year and a half a few years back. WHen I over do it, I get these horrible waves of dizziness and exhaustion and nearly faint. Usually while driving or some other such nasty situation. Don't let yourself get sick here! When your body says to rest--do it! And cheer up,your family loves you! That's the most important thing anyway
I don't think the bioimpedance scales are all that inaccurate as long as you use them consistantly.  I have one and have done the calipers in the same day and got almost the same result with in a percent.  My handheld unit has a setting for "athletes" that I use and get a few percent lower than then normal mode.  Overall, the handhelds are nice because you can use them at your convenience in your own home and if you use it consistantly you will know if you are losing bf or not.  I am down to around 13% and have not seen it change much but I have not really lost any weight so I think mine works pretty well.
2007-06-18 12:13 PM

User image

Somerset, England
Timo, sorry to hear that you had a bad day and I agree with David when he says that we all get them. We all have days when energy levels are low and we can't be bothered to go out - great effort in ignoring your innermost desire to do nothing and drag yourself outside.

I don't know anything about advising you on nutrition but I can say this. The weight will come off with the training you are doing AND remember the hundreds of thousands of people that haven't even tried to get outside and lead an athetic life so you are already miles ahead of most of the population. Remember - YOU ARE AN ATHLETE! I read from your thread that you are in for a Half IM? This is an impressive goal and a great achievement when you complete it. How many people do you know that have done this - not many I will wager. If this is the case then you can answer you own self doubts - you are a Triathlete and this fact alone should make you feel good. Losing those few pounds will definitely come and have faith in the fact that many will look at what you are hoping to achieve and shy away from the challenge! Keep warm in the glow of this fact and keep smiling......
2007-06-18 1:40 PM

Veteran
You folks are the coolest! This is the first online forum I've been a part of and I can honestly say that tonight, you have helped me feel better and I thank you for that. I guess we all have our down days and today was just my turn.

Ken - They used a bioimpedence scale (I learned this from Pene's post) and so I'm not sure of the accuracy but I can look at my gut and tell that it's not too far off. My wife is pregnant right now and so maybe this is all sympathy weight, but probably not; especially since it was there before she got pregnant!

Pene - You are a real positive person and it's really nice to be in the same group with you. I know that the "normal" zone is different for everyone, but I guess it just sucked to have a machine tell me what I pretty much knew already. I can go back to the scale whenever I need to and all I was really looking for was a baseline so that I can track my progress. Like most of the folks here I am addicted to numbers.

David - When you start coaching as a job, let me know. I really appreciate your advice amd would have to agree that portion control is my #1 problem. I hate to be hungry, but I will definately throw in more fruits and vege's to help out. I want to take time and check out the articles that you put together before I ask anything specific, but I know where to come when I have my questions ready.

Pocket - Thanks for the encouragement. I have my first tri this Saturday and I guess then I'll be an official triathlete. I think my problem is that I assumed since I was working out so much that I would be able to just eat whatever and by doing so I was Killing my chances at getting thinner and faster! Lesson learned and now time to fix it.
2007-06-18 2:13 PM
in reply to: #849103

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

Timo - 2007-06-18 1:40 PM You folks are the coolest! This is the first online forum I've been a part of and I can honestly say that tonight, you have helped me feel better and I thank you for that. I guess we all have our down days and today was just my turn.

Glad we could help. That's the whole idea of BT and this group in particular.

David - When you start coaching as a job, let me know. I really appreciate your advice amd would have to agree that portion control is my #1 problem. I hate to be hungry, but I will definately throw in more fruits and vege's to help out. I want to take time and check out the articles that you put together before I ask anything specific, but I know where to come when I have my questions ready.

Thanks for being appreciative. I know I mentioned being hungry, but I might have mislead you. I don't think you should purposely go hungry sometimes. I think studies have shown that this leads to overeating later when you're absolutely starving.

One thing I forgot to mention is to eat OFTEN. Maybe as many as 6-7 small "snack meals" throughout the day. This will help you from actually getting hungry in the first place. When I was heavier, I used to eat till I was really full, almost to the point of hurting. Then I knew I was done. However, when I starting dieting changed my eating habits, I ate smaller portions more often, and thus I never had that full, satiated feeling. This took time to learn that it was OK not to feel full. However, by eating small healthy snack often, you can avoid feeling hungry AND you keep your metabolism up!

Pocket - Thanks for the encouragement. I have my first tri this Saturday and I guess then I'll be an official triathlete. I think my problem is that I assumed since I was working out so much that I would be able to just eat whatever and by doing so I was Killing my chances at getting thinner and faster! Lesson learned and now time to fix it.

First of all, don't worry about losing weight this week! You have much more exciting things to think about: your first triathlon! Be sure to reward yourself with nice recovery meal afterwards. Always depriving yourself of your favorite foods is a sure way to get frustrated and angry with your new eating habits. It's OK to splurge on a rare occasion.

I too often think that b/c I workout train (as Ken would say) so much that I can eat whatever I want. When I was training 11+ hr/week for my IM, this was actually true. I ate a lot and still lost a little weight. However, if I would have eaten a little less or healthier, I think my bodyfat would've come down. Instead, it has stayed right around 15% for over a year now. Now, that I train significantly less, I've found that if I'm not careful about what I eat, I gain weight! I'm up about 5 lbs this year. Arghhhh!!!

Thanks for sharing, Tim. You're doing great, and be sure to have fun this weekend in your first tri. You only do your first triathlon once, so be sure to enjoy every moment, and please, please write a race report and let us know all about it.

Edited by dgillen 2007-06-18 2:15 PM

User image

Champion
Butler

Timo - 2007-06-18 1:40 PM You folks are the coolest! This is the first online forum I've been a part of and I can honestly say that tonight, you have helped me feel better and I thank you for that. I guess we all have our down days and today was just my turn. Ken - They used a bioimpedence scale (I learned this from Pene's post) and so I'm not sure of the accuracy but I can look at my gut and tell that it's not too far off. My wife is pregnant right now and so maybe this is all sympathy weight, but probably not; especially since it was there before she got pregnant!

I don't know how accurate mine is but it is at least consitant.  If you look at the instruction book it will show you based on time of day and when you ate/trained it can be higher or lower.  I just do mine first thing is the morning so it is at least consistant.

User image

Champion
Butler

Timo - 2007-06-18 1:40 PM You folks are the coolest! This is the first online forum I've been a part of and I can honestly say that tonight, you have helped me feel better and I thank you for that. I guess we all have our down days and today was just my turn. Ken - They used a bioimpedence scale (I learned this from Pene's post) and so I'm not sure of the accuracy but I can look at my gut and tell that it's not too far off. My wife is pregnant right now and so maybe this is all sympathy weight, but probably not; especially since it was there before she got pregnant!

I don't know how accurate mine is but it is at least consitant.  If you look at the instruction book it will show you based on time of day and when you ate/trained it can be higher or lower.  I just do mine first thing is the morning so it is at least consistant.

2007-06-18 4:20 PM

User image

Pro
Texas
Hey David, you have any suggestions on how to increase my bike speed? I'm looking for something other than Bear's standard 'ride more' answer, ideally some sort of specific training I can do to pick things up a bit.
2007-06-18 4:40 PM
in reply to: #849461

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

JBrashear - 2007-06-18 4:20 PM Hey David, you have any suggestions on how to increase my bike speed? I'm looking for something other than Bear's standard 'ride more' answer, ideally some sort of specific training I can do to pick things up a bit.

How about another cliche: "Too ride fast, you have to train fast".  

Seriously though, you should probably try some intervals on the bike.  Start out with some 3-5 minute intervals where you don't go all out but, simply put, ride fast.  Ride at a speed that you can maintain for the duration of the interval, but that is not comfortable (i.e, you couldn't hold it say for 30 minutes or an hour).  Start by trying to do 3-4 or these intervals with about few minutes rest in between each one.  As you get more comfortable with the intervals, you can either increase the number of them or their duration.

Ideally, pick a location that is fairly flat with no stop signs or lights.  You want to be able to ride the full interval at the hard pace.   

I've recently tried to start doing these intervals myself, and they're tough and you should try to schedule an easy day afterwards as I've found I recover slower after higher intensity training.  Be sure to do a 15 minute warm up and cool down after the intervals.  

Does this make sense?  Please let me know if I wasn't clear. 

2007-06-18 4:57 PM

User image

Mesquite, Texas
Timo:
I just wanted to add my voice of support (and understanding) about the weight issue. I have similar problems with portion control. The thing that has helped me in the past and that I am going to start again, is to write everything down. I was amazed at how many calories I was eating when I did. It really stopped me in my tracks. I just did it for about two weeks and it made me a lot more aware of what I was eating. I think it just sneaks up on you. You will do fine.

2007-06-18 6:42 PM

User image

Expert
Along with Armydad's suggestion, there is a program called fitday.com that you can download free, or upgrade to the more deluxe version, and it not only has a log to put in what you ate and then keeps track of calories, carbs, protein, fats, but also has an activity log section with calories burned per activity. The activities include everything from housework, to digestive activity, to sitting all day at a job vs. standing on the job, and my personal favorite (although it's been awhile......) sexual activity calories!! Check it out!! Then it's just calories in vs. calories out!
2007-06-18 9:20 PM
in reply to: #849489

User image

Pro
Texas
dgillen - 2007-06-18 4:40 PM

JBrashear - 2007-06-18 4:20 PM Hey David, you have any suggestions on how to increase my bike speed? I'm looking for something other than Bear's standard 'ride more' answer, ideally some sort of specific training I can do to pick things up a bit.

How about another cliche: "Too ride fast, you have to train fast".

Seriously though, you should probably try some intervals on the bike. Start out with some 3-5 minute intervals where you don't go all out but, simply put, ride fast. Ride at a speed that you can maintain for the duration of the interval, but that is not comfortable (i.e, you couldn't hold it say for 30 minutes or an hour). Start by trying to do 3-4 or these intervals with about few minutes rest in between each one. As you get more comfortable with the intervals, you can either increase the number of them or their duration.

Ideally, pick a location that is fairly flat with no stop signs or lights. You want to be able to ride the full interval at the hard pace.

I've recently tried to start doing these intervals myself, and they're tough and you should try to schedule an easy day afterwards as I've found I recover slower after higher intensity training. Be sure to do a 15 minute warm up and cool down after the intervals.

Does this make sense? Please let me know if I wasn't clear.

Makes sense.
2007-06-19 8:09 AM

User image

Mesquite, Texas
Speaking of Fitday, that what my wife uses to track her intake. She finds it very helpful.

To a question if I may:
I am going to buy a bike saddle this weekend, what I have now is what came with the oldbike I bought just to get me started. I have looked around and there seems to a lot of different designs, can anyone give me a little guidance?

Thanks, have a great training day!
2007-06-19 8:28 AM
in reply to: #850102

User image

Pro
Texas
armydad - 2007-06-19 8:09 AM

Speaking of Fitday, that what my wife uses to track her intake. She finds it very helpful.

To a question if I may:
I am going to buy a bike saddle this weekend, what I have now is what came with the oldbike I bought just to get me started. I have looked around and there seems to a lot of different designs, can anyone give me a little guidance?

Thanks, have a great training day!

Really, you have to try out a few and see what works for you. I would suggest one with a crevice or valley in the middle of the seat(they call these seats 'cutaway' seats). They give the boys the most breathing room and are the least likely to cause numbness *down there*. But check out a few and have the shop set you up on a trainer and put a couple on your bike so you can see how each one feels.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » David Gillen's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 36