BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-05-25 7:21 AM
in reply to: #2880062

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!

KASIA -

Ah-ha! I was wondering if that was you, when I went through the results!

Do we count the letter "Y" as a vowel? If not, you have huge consonant dominance -- 12 consonants, 4 vowels.

Then again, so does Mark, although he does it woth brevity -- 6 consonants, 2 vowels.

Why am I thinking about this? Displacement activity, I guess, for writing my own race report. You and Mark and Denise all have your reports up.....and then there is me. (By the way, your report makes it appear that you have been doing these things for years!)

2010-05-25 7:26 AM
in reply to: #2880074

User image

Champion

ANNE -

YES! That is the right decision to pass on another ride today. Wnat is it supposed to be there? I think it's gonna be 93 here. Knocking off 79km is lots on a hot day, and the only reason to add to it today would be if you were scheduled to do Buffalo Springs Lake 70.3 next month! (That's near Lubbock, TX, and is often notoriously hot.)

Smart move, though, staying up there overnight rather than fight the end-of-holiday traffic back south last night!

2010-05-25 8:13 AM
in reply to: #2880088

User image

Champion

KASIA -

That really is a wonderful report - done with enthusiasm, affection, clarity, and honesty. I'm glad you did it for yourself, as it is a real "keeper". Make and save a hard copy somehow, for posterity!

As you know, you had a superb bike leg, and as you commented, it could've been even better had you not tried to save something for the run. You refer to doing that as a wasted effort, but I disagree. I honestly think that for most of us there is a clear and direct connection between what we expend on the bike and what we have left for the run, and that's almost regardless of the degree of restraint. That is, going 17.9mph rather than 18.0mph WILL have a positive effect of the run, just as would going 17.5 rather than 17.9.

That's one of the biggest tricks in triathlon --- how to not push so hard in the swim and/or the bike so as to have a negative effect on the bike and/or run. Some people have good swims, but do so with a massive kick......and then they wonder why their legs turn to jelly on the bike or run. Similarly, some people hammer the bike, but then have nothing left for the run.

More on this all later, but for now I think you did the right thing on showing some restraint during parts of the bike. Your legs might not have had the words for it, but I'm sure they appreciated it!

You also did the right thing in taking your time during transitions. Later on you can work on speeding things up some, but at this first step in your triathlon "career", slowing down some during T1 and T2 is very wise.

Oops! I maybe neglected to suggest multiple swim caps to you. Sorry! That's a good solution for brain-freeze, wearing one or even two swim caps under the one that the race requires. My personal record is three, although I once talked to a guy who once wore five for a race. (That's a lotta latex!) And the further you can get them down towards your eyebrows, the better. Another option is to find a special neoprene "hoodie", and if you can get one that fits well without strangling you, that's ideal. Just wear that under the swim cap, and you'll almost feel that you are incubating new brain cell, as opposed to having them frigidify and die while you're merrily swimming along.

Don't give up on sleeved wetsuit yets, but it just might be that you are one of those people (and there are many) who just do not feel comfortable in full sleeves. Many really great swimmers cannot tolerate losing even an iota of their full range-of-motion, and so opt for sleeveless just so as not to disrupt their mechanics. But even for "regular" swimmers, feeling out of touch with their own mechanics matters, so they also prefer sleeveless.

In time, you will lose as much of your equlibrium as you felt at the race. When you think about it, it's a lot to ask a body to do -- wake up early, deal with anxiety, jump in cold water, stay horizontal for xx minutes and exert for all of it......and then get out of the water and try to carry on being fully vertical. Yikes! But we are adaptive creatures, and one way you'll adapt is to just get better at emerging from the water and feeling that everything is mostly okay.

Finally, that was a very interesting comment you made about how the encouragement you heard on the bike made you happy, but the same things said on the run ticked you off. I REALLY don't think it was "pity-partying", but rather than just the infectious supportiveness many people feel while doing these events. One of my lines when someone tells me ""You're looking great!" (and I doubt that I am), is "Ohhh, then I'm looking better than I feel!" But just that you responded so diiferently to the bike and run encouragements says everything about how confident you felt on the bike, as oposed to the run.

It says alot about you, however, that your almost-immediate response is to increase your running work, rather than just hate it further. Excellent job on growlin' right back at it. Grrr!

I'm sure that will help you as you work towards the increased distances of (I forgot the name!). You now know what it feels like to ride after a swim and to run off the bike, so you can guage your efforts on those runs as needed. Are you still following Fitz? If so, which week are you in of it....or how are you going to go from wherever you've been to wherever you think you have to be? Let me know, okay!

Congratulations, big-time, on your first triathlon. Well-done, and well-deserved!!

2010-05-25 9:12 AM
in reply to: #2878488

User image

Champion

MARK -

First, I was kind of relieved to see that the run had been shortened from the advertised 4.2 miles. Otherwise, there would be a LOT of highly talented corn-fed runners out there, given some of those run times I saw in the results!

On a humid and windy day, I think being only 1:45:35 off last year's pace is perfectly acceptable; even the 3:28 for the S/B/R parts is acceptable. But, mighty fine job on the transitions which, as you know, are really "free" time for shaving minutes off our race results.

Those winds, though! Definitely nothing "free" about the time they afforded you, and to be only 35 seconds slower than last year is quite a feat. (It must be that time on the trainer during the winter. You think?)

I'm sure you had to work hard on the bike to fight the winds, and that, combined with increased humidity and decreased rabbits, could esily explain away the 1:19 on the run. And when you consider that it is a tune-up race for you, then it all becomes perfectly clear and fully rational!

Nice analysis of what you need to work on between now and the 20th....with "endurance" coming up in all three disciplines. Which race have you settled on for the 20th? I know there was one you were shut-out of, maybe the "Bluffs" one? Anyhow, what are the distances of it?

Finally, you say that placing 3rd is more a reflection of the fact that two really good racers aged up, but I'm thinking it might also reflect that it was indeed a pretty tough day out there --- and that you toughed it out better than the others. Any truth to that, you think? Anyhow, great race, and congratulations on hitting the podium (in spirit, if not in actual body!).

2010-05-25 9:20 AM
in reply to: #2559115

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
STEVE B, MARK, DENISE, and KASIA ... congratulations to you all for such a great showing!! It's so much fun to read the race reports and see the enthusiam in them.

KASIA, when I did my first tri (and still relatively now), I tend to go ahead and go full out on the bike in hopes to make up some time, because I know I'll never make it up on the run, no matter how well I may have restrained in the other events ... just not going to happen.

DENISE, I hear you on the "unfitfulness" of OKC ... but where did HOUSTON rank?  We are usually right up there with the unfittest of cities!

The  boys played great baseball this weekend but lost in the semi-finals by 2 runs (5-7). Unfortunately, they had beaten this same team the day before so that team was out for revenge (and that team is ranked 6th in the state, I think we are ranked about 50). Temps were in the mid 90s but partly cloudy and breezy which helped. Just would have been nice to bring home another trophy since this was the last tournament of the season. Done with baseball for now Frown ... can't bring myself to get too excited about the Astros at this point.

Looking forward to a long weekend, then a 3 day work week, and a 5 day vacation in the Ozarks ... which leaves me with another 3 day work week!

Is anyone racing this weekend?
2010-05-25 10:12 AM
in reply to: #2879328

User image

Champion

DENISE -

I'm sorry you did not have a good day....but did you get the 5+ jacket? (Or is that still a work-in-progress?) Mostly, though, you survived and finished on what sounded like a difficult day. Humidity and wind -- caught between the devil and the deep blue sea!

I think you mentioned before why you can't drink while you ride, but i can't remember whether it's gastro or logistical. I'm think it's the latter, and vaguely remember some discussion about bottle-cage placement, and maybe that you would use a bottle that nestles between the aerobars....if you had aerobars. Am I getting warm?

Do you try to stockpile fluids in T1? I know that's not ideal, but it is probably far better than going into a nutritional deficit -- especially on days that are warm/hot. Another option is a gel flask, or two, filled with fluids rather than gels. These can be carried in whatever pockets you have, and they would give you something, anyhow. There are also mounting devices that can be affixed to your top tube, and this can accommodate one flask.

Better yet might be one of those Bento boxes, and at least two flasks could fit in one of those. If you don;t know what these are, they are firm-sided boxes tat have a mesh flap-top that velcros down on one one side. The whole thing is secured on the top tube just behind the stem, and this is done with four velcro straps. BREAKING NEWS! I have next to me a brand new one, bought just last year but never used (in turns out I'm loyal to me shabby, skanky one that goes back about 10 years! ), and I would be happy to send it off to you. Gratis! (Just one of those services I provide! ) Anyhow, let me know if you are intersted. I found two flasks....and they sorta fit in there; one easily fits well. With one, you could also store a coupla gels and some other goodies. For Columbia, in mine I had four gels, a Clif mojo bar, and a small packet of Motrin, and maybe some Endurolytes. (Used one gel on the bike, and transferred two other plus the Motrin to pockets for the run.)

Thinking further about "had no energy", did you try to get something other than Gatorade down before you left T2? Like a gel with some water? I think tat would've helped you a fair bit, especially if you had not gotten any calories into your system since before the start of the race. It is impossible to completely replenish all that is lost during a race, but at most diatnces you have to make some inraods in terms of carboshydrates and just overall calories. A 21-mile bike is nothing to snicker at, and following that with a 3.5+ mile run is pushing the body past the point that it can comfortably go without nutrition. It's no wonder you had a problem with summoning energy!

Taking time to get something into you during both transitions is one of the "penny-rich, pound-foolish" situations -- you hate to lose the time in transition doing that stuff, but ultiamtely it will save you time later once when you begin to hit the wall or "bonk". As my former coach Erik used to preach to me, don't worry about 30 seconds now if it might cost you 30 minutes later!

Okey-doke! It sounds like you managed to right the sighting ship during the swim, and that's mostly better than I was able to do at Columbia! So, i would say you have it in you to be a good sighter, and that your swim technique is good enough so that once you're pointed in the right direction, you go there! I guess the trick for you is to make the commitmemnt to sight right from the start -- or get onto someone's feet and just hope they are heading the right way. This is maybe another of those penny/pound things, where you hate disrupting a swim just as it's begun to lift your head and sneak a peak, but if it will establish a good line for you, then do it!

In a perfect world, one ride at the distance of the race will suffice, but on a day like you had at Albert Lea, with steady strong winds......that adds a few of "equivalent miles" to the actaul race distance. So, if you can fit in those longer rides, then that can only help you come race day.

Finally, aside from the hassles of extricating yourself from the wetsuit, how did you find it? The next best thing to sliced bread, maybe? And which did you use? I'm guessing the full, yes?

Let me know if you want me to send the bento box to you, okay?

Onwards to your next race.....in 7 weeks.....which is which one?

2010-05-25 10:17 AM
in reply to: #2880334

User image

Champion

LISA -

I'm sorry the boys lost, but doing so to a team that is ranked that much higher than they are is no cause to hang their heads. In fact, beating them previously is pretty good in itself....but probably small consolation to them right now.

The Astros, the poor Astros......
And did I read that Oswalt wants a trade? Yikes.

Nice schedule you have coming up! I'll bet that's a lifestyle to which you could become accustomed, huh?

As for my race report, um, er, uh, let's just say it's germinating, percolating....something like that!

2010-05-25 10:19 AM
in reply to: #2880503

User image

Champion

LISA again --

I just read a poem that had the word "luff" in it. You're famous ---- even if it was used in the nautical sense!

2010-05-25 11:36 AM
in reply to: #2880508

User image

Champion

RACE REPORT -- COLUMBIA TRIATHLON
Ellicott City, Maryland, 23 May 2010

This was my fourth time there, the others being '03, '04, and '05. As I said before, the '05 race was compromised by two flats, so this year was a long-overdue attempt at redemption!

Pre-Race I
I drove down Saturday, taking about 9.5 hours with the usual assortment of stops. I picked up my race stuff and wandered the expo, then met friends at t-zone during mandatory day-before bike-racking, and learned that rain would likely continue into race day. I felt pretty good overall, with only my shoulder hurting me. And, i was a bit dipsy from the long ride, but that wasn't anything to worry about. I ate spaghetti and meatballs that evening and returned to the motel, where I iced the shoulder continuously throught the Celtics game, finally going to sleep at about 11:30.

Pre-Race II
Woke up at 4am, aiming to get to transition when it opened at 4:45. The rain was hard and steady, and upon getting to the race site at about 4:46, there must've been abot 100 cars there before me. This was no real surprise, as Columbia is a big-deal race and attracts a crowd of real Type-AAAA athletes. So, with the cars streaming in and it's still dark out and raining hard, it was kind of comical -- several hundred chomping-at-the-bit triathletes, all sitting in their cars waiting for the rain to ease up, just a bit!

At about 5:45 I ventured out -- not only was it just sprinkling, but my swim start was scheduled for 6:55, so I had to get going. While in the car I wrote out a list of all the things I had to do, which partially dealt with keeping my run stuff dry while I was swimming and riding, but also included such matters as deflating my tires a bit, which is a safety matter when roads are wet. I settled on a PSI of 110, down from what I usually ride at 120, but higher than optimally safe, which would be 90-100. At about 6:30 the announcement was made that the swim starts would all be pushed back 15 minutes, as people were still arriving due to problems parking cars on the now soaked and muddy fields near the park. I was ready to go, having checked everything about nine times over. The lower body still felt 100% great, and miraculously, the shoulder was feeling pretty good!

Swim
Lots of space for the M55+, the third wave following the pro and open/elite waves. I started mostly okay, very pleased that the shoulder wasn't hurting. But within about 200 yards i started my drifting to the left, and that was exacerbated by the left shoulder beginning to feel "weak" -- not sure as much a hurt as just weak(er). So, the swim just happened. I continued to drift to the left between buoys, which were all to my left, so at least that was helpful. (It is much worse to drift in the dircetion opposite to which the turns happen.) I was passed by about 20 red caps, whcih were F45+, even though they started something like 8 minutes behind us. And the passings started about halfway through the swim! I was glad to be done, and finished in 31:47 -- slower than '03 and '04, marginally faster than '05. My swim time was 11/22 in the a.g.

T1
A good one. It's a longish uphill run to transition, but going sockless and with cleats already attached made it easier. Out of transition to bike mount it's even steeper, and with all the mud and all it was a very good time to do that barefoot. 2:28, fastest in the a.g.

Bike
The Columbia bike is wicked. Period. It has very few chances to get it all together, as it is rolling to hilly; it is hardly forgiving. But it was rainy, and I ride well in the rain (something about not having the good sense to slow down much.... ), and I was determined to have a strong ride -- hopefully under 1:18. While my ride went really well, I noticed two things that let me know it is early in the season: (1) I did not attack the climbs as martly as I should've, and (2) there were times that I realized I was just sitting back some, not keeping at that full-out aggressive edge. Then, i would just have to figuratively slap myself upside the head and get pushing hard again! BUT, the Columbia run is even harder than the bike, so there is some real sense in holding something back so that the run is not a disaster, and I tried to keep that firmly in mind. I had a really strong final 7 or 8 miles, and even though the last three miles were into a strong wind, I stayed low and rode hard, finishing in 1:16:36 (19.9mph). That was 2/22, 12 seconds behind the fastest a.g. bike.

T2
Just as I arrived at the racks, David Adams was leaving to start the run. He won the a.g. last year, and even though I knew who he was, he didn't know me. (Huh-huh-huh!) I moved quickly, but took a few extra seconds to make sure I had a bit more Vaseline on my feet, as it was still rainy and I was going to run sockless. Did it in 2:01, 6/22.

Run
Legendary pain, this course, beginning with a switchback hill about 300 yards after the start. So, for mere mortals it is barely time to establish a running rhythm before he gets all shot by that hill....and that's what happened to me. I managed to attack it pretty well, though, and cruised on, hitting the Mile 1 marker at about 7:15. That's a tough pace for me to hold on any tri 10km run, let alone Columbia. But i knew David was ahead of me, and so forge ahead I must! Along about mile two I sighted him ahead of me, maybe about 40 seconds, but as the course is up and down and winds alot, it wasn't always easy to sight him. The hills kept coming, and with each of the larger ones I handled it less well than the one before ---- but each time I sighted David and did a visual on where he was and how long it took me to get to that spot, I was gaining ground. However, this was incremental; what was 38 seconds on one check was 36 seconds the next check, was 35 seconds after that. Mile 3 truned into Mile 4 -- what was a 32-second gap was 29 seconds. Mile 4 turned into Mile 5, and now the gap was 25 seconds, then 23, then 22. Hmmm. I began to do the math, and got worried. I was at about 98% effort, and that was variable. I tried to use the "spurt" technique, wherein I push hard for a few seconds and then back off, repeatrepeatrepeat, but couldn't make that work; my body didn't want anything to do with that higher gear. (Or maybe it was my mind that didn't want anything to do with it??) The last 3/4 mile or so is clear and open, and there he was.....and there I was, closing ground. At this point it was mostly flat and straight and hard to get visuals, but it was also too late for that stuff, anyhow -- it was just about working to run as hard as I could. At the Mile 6 marker I was 14 seconds behind and closing.....at the home-stretch timing mats I was about 7 seconds back....and even with a sprint to the finish line I couldn't get him. He beat me by 3 seconds! I immediately went over to him and said "I had you in my sights since mile two and couldn't quite reel you in!" A photographer took a couple of photos of us, and I hope they show up someplace. My run time was 47:12 (7:36/mile), 1/22 in the a.g. with his time (48:25) being 2nd best. After that they were all in the 50s and above, so i am very pleased about that.
Total - 2:40:03

Post-race
When results went up I learned that I "won" the age group....but as I said yesterday, that was because David was awarded the more prestigious Grand Masters, which meant that winning the age group fell to me -- even though I technically didn't win it. (Or maybe I technically won it....but someone in the same a.g. just had a better time than mine!?!) ANYHOW, all that aside, there was a big gap between me and the rest of the a.g., and that always feels good. It also feels good to see how well I placed comapred to the 55-59ers, and that my bike split was faster than any of the 50-54.
I changed quickly (quite chilled), learned that one of my group from last year made the podium for the first time ever (3rd in F30-34), hung around forever for awards, remained disappointed by the post-race food, and then finally hit the road at about 1:30, rolling into home after midnight.
After the swim, the arm was great; go figure! (Although in the few weeks it has bothered me, running almost always makes it feel better, i guess it's the angle I hold it at that puts less pressure on the problem nerve or whatever it is.)
This was a Columbia p.r. for me, by about five-and-a-half minutes, and that difference came from the bike and the run. I knew my running was strong, and part of that is due to an injury-free winter and spring, while the other part I'm convinced is weight-related. I was at about 173 race morning, and that is a good 5-7 pounds less than what I normally start the season at. (In fact, it is usually about what I finish the season at!)
I love this race, for all the hype, and the field of athletes it attracts, and the challenge of the course. However, Sunday was all about redemption for the '05 debacle, and now that I have that I'm not sure I'll do it again. I'm getting less comfortable doing those long drives, and there and back in the space of about 42 hours wreaked havoc on my left psoas and hip and buttock (all much better today than when i got home!).

Does that about cover it all?

2010-05-25 12:32 PM

New user
Great results everyone!!!

Glad to hear everyone enjoyed their races as much as they did!

The race reports were great to read. Glad to know everyone made it through. Somehow I feel more relaxed for my first attempt coming soon.
2010-05-25 12:35 PM

New user
STEVEB,

Vaseline at T2?

Do tell more about this. I'm trying to make a go at shoeless running and I have flip flop results. One run I tear my feet up and the next my feet are great. Then I tear them up, then great. So I have a mixed bag of results.

I did a brick last night and put some BodyGlide on the areas of my feet I have experienced issues. Worked out ok but I only ran for 14 minutes as well. I've got a longer run tonight and am not sure what to do at this point. Thinking about using the BG and carrying socks.

Am quite curious about the Vaseline though.

2010-05-25 1:19 PM

User image

Great race report Steve!  I was on the edge of my seat reading it.  Great inspiration for training!

2010-05-25 2:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Steve,

I loved your race report!  It's like a movie where you know what happens at the beginning but you're still on edge watching it unfold.

Waiting for your photos - I suppose it takes a few days.

Denise

ps - This should be a good bump for your USAT stuff, right?
2010-05-25 4:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
Denise,

Even though you were disappointed with your performance, I think it's great that you pushed yourself to finish when you almost gave up after the bike. And it sounds like you've given a lot of thought to how the race went for you, and what to do differently next time. And you didn't finish last! Not only that, you finished ahead of some women half your age. Congrats on that!

Tracey

Edited by thall0672 2010-05-25 4:45 PM
2010-05-25 4:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
SteveB:

I echo what the others have said. Your race report was a pleasure to read! I felt like I was reading one of those books that you can't put down.

How did the neuroma treat you during the run, I'm curious to know?

Congratulations on the fabulous finish.

Tracey
2010-05-25 5:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
SteveB:

I was just looking again at the swim course map for Escape (I'm obsessed now that I've ventured out into the course...) I noticed that they changed the course ever so slightly and the planned position of the buoys. Here's the new one:

http://www.maxperformanceonline.com/pdfs/EscapethecapeSwim.pdf

Before, they had the course headed out slightly toward the right (away from the shore) for the first 150 meters or so, and then it was a straight line to the finish just left of the pier. There were six buoys in total, three on each side of the course spaced evenly. Now the course is a straight line the entire way, and there are four buoys to the left of the course only, spaced equally about 100 meters apart.

I can't tell if it would have been easier to stay on course following three points, staying between the buoys, or staying the left of the buoys but having four points to sight. I imagine it would be having the four points to sight, since more landmarks are better, right?

I imagine the spacing of the buoys may differ slightly on race day than what's in the picture, right?

I'm hoping to get back out to the course at least 4 more times before race day because I feel really unprepared for the open water environment. I'm going to try to simulate it at the pool by closing my eyes when I swim. Maybe that will help me to find a way to swim straigter too.

2010-05-25 6:07 PM
in reply to: #2880508

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
stevebradley - 2010-05-25 10:19 AM LISA again -- I just read a poem that had the word "luff" in it. You're famous ---- even if it was used in the nautical sense!

Ha, yes, Luff actually has a nautical meaning ... it's a sailing term.  I actually had a small sailboat when I met my husband.  Couldn't pass that up for a last name. Wink

Luff: The forward edge of a sail running from head to tack (front corner of the sail).

Luffing: A sail is luffing when it starts to flutter in the wind. The term Luff is also used to describe the same situation. "The sail is starting to luff."

Luff Up: To turn into the wind to cause the sails to start luffing.
2010-05-25 6:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
STEVE B, great race and great race report!!!  Loved the description of the run and finish!  And a PR of more than 5 minutes!

LISA

Edited by lufferly 2010-05-25 6:18 PM
2010-05-25 6:51 PM
in reply to: #2881918

User image

Champion

LISA -

Okay, now I have to go out and find that poem!

What you said, though, jives with what I remember the poem saying. But I'm no sailor, so I have no votes at all!

In a few weeks Lynn starts sailing courses, somehting she has had her eyes on for a few years. I got her the lessons as a Christmas present, so it wasn't exactly one of those Immediate Gratification gifts! (Might've been better as a b-day prsent, April 19.) Anyhow, this will combine with her canoeing and kayaking skills to make her a triple threat -- her own breed of triathlete, maybe?

2010-05-25 6:55 PM
in reply to: #2881806

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

Huh, My computer isn't allowing that page to be displayed right now. Well, I'll try again later, and at that time I will say some stuff about your swimming efforts, which again show your never-say-never attitude. Tenacious Tracey!

As for the neuroma -- perfect! In fact, after the scare a couple weeks ago, it/they have been fine. I don't know how I set it/them off, and I will have to pay attention to the situation, but for now it's as good as can be, just about (like, 99.37% perfect)!

2010-05-25 7:01 PM
in reply to: #2880078

User image

Champion

Gee, it's too bad that I live herea nd David Adams lives in Gaithersburg, MD, cuz if we lived closer we would make ideal training partners. Based on our Columbia results, how's this for pretty equal skills sets:

Him
Swim --- 30:03
T1 ------ 3:08
Bike ---- 1:16:24
T2 ------ 2:01
Run ---- 48:25

Me
Swim --- 31:47
T1 ------ 2:28
Bike ---- 1:16:36
T2 ------ 2:01
Run ---- 47:12

Siamese Training Partners, separated at birth??

2010-05-25 7:52 PM
in reply to: #2880942

User image

Champion

SHAUN -

I might be mistaken about that. i know I had a container of Vaseline at T2, but I think I opted to pass on it.

HOWEVER, pre-race I rubbed Vaseline along some of the potential porlem spots inside my running shoes, AND I liberally BGed both feet. I realize that most of the BG will have worn off by the time I hit the run, hence the Vaseline if I'm feeling at all skittish.

And a second HOWEVER is this: In a pocket of my tri shorts for the run went a packet of a new BG product - liquified powder. This saved me last October at MightyMan Half-Iron, where I needed to make a quick stop around mile 10 and apply it to a hot spot -- which after that point didn't bother me at all. This is a GREAT product, as each packet is about 4" x 2", ultra-thin and weighing next to nothing. So at T2 on Sunday I grabbed that and passed on the additional Vaseline -- and needed neither on the run, as it turns out.

For the BodyGlide liquified powder, what you buy contains 6 of those lttle packets; maybe 8. Did I mention that it's a great product?

Edited by stevebradley 2010-05-25 8:19 PM
2010-05-25 7:59 PM
in reply to: #2876572

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
augeremt - 2010-05-23 2:20 PM I think I'm hooked! Today was absolutely awesome.

I survived the swim, killed the bike, and sucked at the run. 2 out of 3 ain't bad Unofficial time: 1:47:29

Race report to follow tomorrow, but now I'm off to kick butt in another flip cup tournament

Hope the other races went just as well for everyone else! I can't wait to hear about it.

WOOOT!!  Congrats Kasia!

Hey guys I am BAACK!!! Dang work taking me away from home for 3 days so I am delayed in my Groovetime CONGRATS to all of this weekends racers! 

More in a minute!  I need to do some reading...

2010-05-25 8:02 PM
in reply to: #2876922

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
thall0672 - 2010-05-23 7:39 PM Well I had mixed results with my first OWS adventure today. I did the 1/3 mile (500 meter) course from my first race next month. It's in an inlet off the coast of Cape Cod. So I started by wading in until I was about waist high, then I dove in having forgotten to put on my goggles! Open eyes and all... So after the stinging went away, I managed to get my goggles on and got going. And... I... FREAKED. I mean, I've heard stories of people getting freaked out and panicky when they start the swim during an actual race, but alone in the water? Yes, this was my first time in open water, but I really did not expect to freak out the way I did. First, the water was super-salty (I know, duh.) And there was something sort of claustrophobic feeling about putting my face in the water and just seeing an opaque, murky greenish-brown color instead of that blue line at the bottom of the pool that I've gotten so used to. I managed to plow on, but I just couldn't bring myself to get my face down in the water. So I actually swam the whole course with my chin above the water, which I can't believe. I was so annoyed with myself the whole time. Two or three times I tried to put my face back down, but then I'd freak again and lift up my head. So of course with my chin above the water, I was struggling way more than I should have been and went very slow. But the amazing thing is, even with my head up, my legs were still hitting the surface of the water. So I guess that speaks for the remarkable qualities of a wet suit! In fact, I was actually struggling to keep my head and neck up because I almost felt my upper body being pushed down by my legs being so buoyant. Of course swimming like that was very difficult. There was one point when I was looking at a boat a bit ahead of me, and it seemed to not be getting any closer as if I was swimming in place. So my final time? 24 minutes! That's almost double my pool time. I guess I'm not surprised though since I made it very hard on myself by keeping my head up. After I finished, I was so disappointed and kicking myself for not just getting over the face in the water thing. I figured, I had the same panicky feeling when I first starting learning to put my face in the water at the pool, so this was the same thing, just in a different environment. So my husband suggested I get back in and stay close to the shore, just to where the water was about hip height, and practice again where it felt safer. And lo and behold, I did it. I swam "properly" for about 2 minutes. I guess being close to the shore made it less overwhelming. And the feeling of swimming with my face in the water was so remarkably different from what I had just done. I almost felt like I was skimming over the surface of the water. And I felt like I was swimming about twice as fast. So I'm going to try to make it back tomorrow for another swim. Hopefully I've gotten over the first-timers jitters and the second try will go a bit more smoothly!

Tracey -

Definitely staying close to shore or some place you feel safe helps with the calmness in the water.  Each time it gets better!  And congrats to you for getting out there and giving it a go for your first time...that is awesome!   You should be proud of yourself for that.

More reading to do....

Mandy
2010-05-25 8:18 PM
in reply to: #2882068

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Power is flickering here!! Must be quick.

STEVE B!  CONGRATS on the 1st place AG finish!! You are awesome.  I am so psyched for you.  Loved the race report, it was really awesome reading.

MARK - GREAT JOB and strong finish - and AG placing!! SWEET! Sounds like those winds on the bike were brutal, good for you for toughing them out.  And great race report, I liked how you analyzed things relative to your next race.

DENISE - Way to stick it out in a tough race.  I really like how you have a plan for the future laid out, along with things you want to work on.  Did you get the jacket?

KASIA - congrats again, and next time maybe you can catch Maggie since you are adding in the extra day a week of running. 

TRACEY - Ewww...I hate when gross stuff floats by.  Stick with it, it does get better.  I am calm in fresh water but a FREAK in salt water....it is so murky here in Maine and my imagination goes wild.  But the more I do it, the easier it is.

Cheers,

Mandy
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276