BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2010-04-02 10:28 AM
in reply to: #2758986

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
Subject: RE: Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -FULL
karen26.2 - 2010-03-30 7:11 PM Ha, yesterday I thought about just posting RIP.  I think we lost all momentum without our leader for too long.  I would like to keep the thread going, but we need some topics to discuss.

What's your next race?
Have you been following a specific plan?
Do you think you are ready?

Which of the 3 sports have you improved the most in since starting triathlons?
What do you contribute your improvement to?

Ok Karen, I think I'll just combine all of your questions into a big post.  I'm just coming off some rehab, so my running is low, I'm trying to learn to swim, and I'm still waiting to pick up my bike.  Everytime I think I'm close to paying it off, he reminds me of something else I need.  I'll have an extra $1250 to play around with next week, so I can officially pick up the bike and whatever else I need, and hit the road.  Due to this I haven't started a plan, and obviously no I'm not ready.

Now the good.  I'm in pretty good shape, I'm logging close to 5000 yards/week swim, 3-4 sessions on the spin bike/week, and am around 7-10 miles a week with the run.  My first tri is a sprint on June 12 
From there I have an Olympic in July 
Then a 70.3 in September if I feel comfortable enough in a month to sign up for it.  The backup plan is Beach to Battleship in November.  Due to my swim struggles, the backup plan is looking better and better. What do you think guys?  Can I do it?
Because of the struggles in the pool and not having a real bike I've been sort of depressed with my training and its leading to a little burnout.  Went to Dallas this week, so it was a nice break, but I'm ready to start seeing some results!!! My running speed is back which has to be solely due to the enhanced flexibility. 
Another BIG question.  My masters swim coach who also is a tri coach told me he didn't want to do any one on one lessons with me because I still have so far to go that it wouldn't help me anymore than just coming to class.  Do you think he is just telling me this because A) he would have to drive a long way to teach me and/or B) He really doesn't want to fool with a beginner or C) he thinks im hopeless and I truly have a long way to go?  The thing is in a 1 hour class, he might watch me for 25-50 yards and give me a tip on this or that.  There are about 40 people in the class and I feel like I'm hurting myself bc I spend half the time swimming too fast just trying to stay out of everyone elses way and really not getting any feedback.

How bout you Karen?  Any adventures planned for this weekend?

2010-04-02 7:25 PM
in reply to: #2765060

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
GorgeousGeorge - 2010-04-02 11:28 AM
karen26.2 - 2010-03-30 7:11 PM Ha, yesterday I thought about just posting RIP.  I think we lost all momentum without our leader for too long.  I would like to keep the thread going, but we need some topics to discuss.

What's your next race?

Ok Karen, I think I'll just combine all of your questions into a big post.  I'm just coming off some rehab, so my running is low, I'm trying to learn to swim, and I'm still waiting to pick up my bike.  Everytime I think I'm close to paying it off, he reminds me of something else I need.  I'll have an extra $1250 to play around with next week, so I can officially pick up the bike and whatever else I need, and hit the road.  Due to this I haven't started a plan, and obviously no I'm not ready.

Now the good.  I'm in pretty good shape, I'm logging close to 5000 yards/week swim, 3-4 sessions on the spin bike/week, and am around 7-10 miles a week with the run.  My first tri is a sprint on June 12 
Then a 70.3 in September if I feel comfortable enough in a month to sign up for it.  The backup plan is Beach to Battleship in November.  Due to my swim struggles, the backup plan is looking better and better. What do you think guys?  Can I do it?
Because of the struggles in the pool and not having a real bike I've been sort of depressed with my training and its leading to a little burnout.  Went to Dallas this week, so it was a nice break, but I'm ready to start seeing some results!!! My running speed is back which has to be solely due to the enhanced flexibility. 
Another BIG question.  My masters swim coach who also is a tri coach told me he didn't want to do any one on one lessons with me because I still have so far to go that it wouldn't help me anymore than just coming to class.  Do you think he is just telling me this because A) he would have to drive a long way to teach me and/or B) He really doesn't want to fool with a beginner or C) he thinks im hopeless and I truly have a long way to go?  The thing is in a 1 hour class, he might watch me for 25-50 yards and give me a tip on this or that.  There are about 40 people in the class and I feel like I'm hurting myself bc I spend half the time swimming too fast just trying to stay out of everyone elses way and really not getting any feedback.

That's very exciting about getting your bike next week.  That should help get your motivation back.  The weather here has been very unpredictable but when it's nice out I'm on my bike.  Much better than being indoors on a bike.

We need Sesh to pop in here on the swim questions.  I still consider myself a beginner, and all I can tell you from what I've read is to keep swimming as much as you can.  Do some drills to improve your form, but continue swimming whenever you can.  I don't know why the guy wouldn't want to do one on one sessions.  But I can't believe that your masters class is 40 people.  I thought my class was getting kind of full with about 20 people.  I do not like to circle swim, which we have to if everyone shows up, because I'm the same as you, I feel like I'm in people's way.  Our coach gives feedback when he can, but with 20 people it's hard, I can't imagine your coach having 40 people to look at.  Is there another session you could go to?  Or are you limited?  Is there another coach you could do a one on one with, but continue to go to the masters class?  I wouldn't give up masters, you have probably made huge improvements since you have been going.  It's just hard to see or feel like swimming is getting better, where as running and biking it's pretty clear cut.

For the 70.3 - is one swim easier (down river) than the other?  Were you considering Augusta?  I don't know what the swim is like at B2B, but I can tell you the swim in Augusta is fast.  As least last year it was.  My wave started and before I knew it I was done!  Fastest swim I've ever had, the current was pretty strong.  You can do it, it's months away.  Keep swimming, see if you can get a lesson or two, and stick with masters.  You'll be good to go!

Me, let's see, I've got a 60 mile bike ride planned for tomorrow morning with some friends.  Then a 75 minute run on Sunday.  Maybe swim on my own for a little bit since I fell a little short this week on swimming.  I'm kind of struggling with motivation a little too.  I'm just so tired all the time, when the alarm goes off I talk myself out of getting up by deciding to do some workouts after work instead.  But I already have quite a few nights filled with other workouts, and I can't cram everything in.  I need to get back on track and start getting up every day.  That, and going to bed earlier.

2010-04-05 8:00 AM
in reply to: #2765896

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
karen26.2 - 2010-04-02 7:25 PM
GorgeousGeorge - 2010-04-02 11:28 AM

What's your next race?

That's very exciting about getting your bike next week.  That should help get your motivation back.  The weather here has been very unpredictable but when it's nice out I'm on my bike.  Much better than being indoors on a bike.

We need Sesh to pop in here on the swim questions.  I still consider myself a beginner, and all I can tell you from what I've read is to keep swimming as much as you can.  Do some drills to improve your form, but continue swimming whenever you can.  I don't know why the guy wouldn't want to do one on one sessions.  But I can't believe that your masters class is 40 people.  I thought my class was getting kind of full with about 20 people.  I do not like to circle swim, which we have to if everyone shows up, because I'm the same as you, I feel like I'm in people's way.  Our coach gives feedback when he can, but with 20 people it's hard, I can't imagine your coach having 40 people to look at.  Is there another session you could go to?  Or are you limited?  Is there another coach you could do a one on one with, but continue to go to the masters class?  I wouldn't give up masters, you have probably made huge improvements since you have been going.  It's just hard to see or feel like swimming is getting better, where as running and biking it's pretty clear cut.

For the 70.3 - is one swim easier (down river) than the other?  Were you considering Augusta?  I don't know what the swim is like at B2B, but I can tell you the swim in Augusta is fast.  As least last year it was.  My wave started and before I knew it I was done!  Fastest swim I've ever had, the current was pretty strong.  You can do it, it's months away.  Keep swimming, see if you can get a lesson or two, and stick with masters.  You'll be good to go!

Me, let's see, I've got a 60 mile bike ride planned for tomorrow morning with some friends.  Then a 75 minute run on Sunday.  Maybe swim on my own for a little bit since I fell a little short this week on swimming.  I'm kind of struggling with motivation a little too.  I'm just so tired all the time, when the alarm goes off I talk myself out of getting up by deciding to do some workouts after work instead.  But I already have quite a few nights filled with other workouts, and I can't cram everything in.  I need to get back on track and start getting up every day.  That, and going to bed earlier.

Karen,
Thanks so much for your encouragement!!  I went to the pool Saturday morning, reluctantly I might add, at the Y across from where I just moved.  Its not as nice as my usualy Y, but the pool is nicer and there is never near as many people in there.   I swam a little warmup, then a pull set, then a kick set and then went back to the pull bouy.  I wanted to swim 250 without stopping.  I tried really hard to go slow and concentrate on my form.  I felt strangely comfortable at 250, so I thought maybe I can go another 100, then I thought maybe 500, then 750, then 1000, and I just kept going.  I did a set of 1500 and actually could've kept going, but my form was starting to slip a little.  Its the first time I've ever felt like an athlete in the pool.  I know it was with the aide of the bouy, but that was still a major breakthrough for me. 

I did a good bit of running over the weekend and plan to do the "Statue to Statue" 10K in two weeks.  I the weather has turned finally!  Yes, your right, I'm going to try to do Augusta.  The one at B2B is also "downhill" I think.  You're swimming in the channel heading back into the bay. So I don't think I could go wrong with either.

How was your bike this weekend?  It was perfect out....
2010-04-05 8:06 PM
in reply to: #2571242

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Wow - 1500 yards in one shot - that's quite an improvement.  Keep going, you'll see huge improvements.  Nice job!

My bike ride was good for the first 53 miles, then I just wanted it to be over.  It was a very hilly course and the last 7 miles was no easier.  I didn't do very well with hydration, next time I'll plan better.  But, I did 60 miles, so I can't complain.

Yesterday I ran with my husband and one of our dogs on a new path they built near by.  It's combo cement (I hate running on cement) and boardwalk.  Mostly boardwalk so it was nice.  I wish there was no cement.

I think I'm already ready for winter again - I hate heat and humidity.  It was 86 yesterday and today.  Too hot for me.
2010-04-07 9:44 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Whew!  This dude was on his way to our thread:

Time to catch up.... in the next post...

2010-04-07 10:07 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Let's see...

Well, I think I'm finally ready to get my running back ramped up.  I got lazy and stopped tending to my PF, and it came back pretty bad.  So, I got back to doing my stretches and icing, and now it's manageable again.  Looking at about a 20 mile week this week (hopefully).  Been getting intimate with my trainer some more.  Don't have much time after work to ride outside, and I'd rather eat dinner and hang out with my wife anyway.  So, it's been a lot of early, early mornings with Netflix and a box fan.  Swimming?  Ha!  I've gotten some in during our coaching sessions, but nothing resembling a workout.  I do plan on changing that tonight.  Gonna get there about thirty minutes early, scam the use of the pool, then sneak in 30 minutes after that.  I figure it's going to really depress me how much I've lost.

As for the coaching?  It's been awesome at the pool.  There were some folks that swam like anchors, but we're getting them straightened out, and it's been a lot of fun.  The first session in the open water is looming, and that has me worried.  I'm scared a lot of them are just going to freak out.

My weight keeps creeping down.  Coming in between 160 & 165 in the mornings now (you know, depending on if I ate a Chinese buffet or a salad the night before).  That's down from just over 175 at the start of the year, and I think I'll get it down to 155ish by July.  I've had to push my goal race to a sprint then.  The one at the beginning of June sort of falls at a bad time right now, so I'm just focused on ripping up the later one and using the others as practice.

Race director stuff is insane and non-stop.  Fun... but I can't wait until it's over.

Chicago vacation May 15-21!!  Cubs tickets in hand already!

I refuse to whine about the weather right now.  Yeah, it's tough acclimating after running all winter in 40ish temps, but I know what's waiting for me in July and August.  I just don't even want to think about it.  I will complain about the pollen right now.  Everything is pee yellow and I can't stop sneezing.

I have found some time to get the camera out, too.  The good weather is making for some great opportunities outside:

2010-04-07 10:09 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Oh, and my wife passed her Praxis 2 Math Exam!  Of course, now she's got to find a teaching job while all the districts are making huge budget cuts.  We'll see how it goes.

2010-04-07 10:30 AM

User image

Mammoth Lakes
Great Pict Bill. 
Not sure what is going on with Spring.  Like me, it keeps trying to pop in and be present but just isn't making it happen.   We got 2 1/2 feet of snow Monday in Mammoth.  The lower elevation trails where just starting to melt out too.  So I am still stuck on the roads and the canal ditches in Bishop at 4,000'.    I was really hoping to get some trail running and hills in before Wildflower, but it is clear that isn't going to happen this year.

Otherwise, life keep going.  My husband decided to join the Alligiant Airlines Masters Elite Racing team, he raced the San Dimas Stage Race a couple weekends ago and placed well.  Taxes are due! I have 3 corporations and an estate I manage so when not training, that is where all my time has been the last few months.  Can't wait for April 16th!

Keep at it everyone!

2010-04-07 10:30 AM

User image

Mammoth Lakes
Great Pict Bill. 
Not sure what is going on with Spring.  Like me, it keeps trying to pop in and be present but just isn't making it happen.   We got 2 1/2 feet of snow Monday in Mammoth.  The lower elevation trails where just starting to melt out too.  So I am still stuck on the roads and the canal ditches in Bishop at 4,000'.    I was really hoping to get some trail running and hills in before Wildflower, but it is clear that isn't going to happen this year.

Otherwise, life keep going.  My husband decided to join the Alligiant Airlines Masters Elite Racing team, he raced the San Dimas Stage Race a couple weekends ago and placed well.  Taxes are due! I have 3 corporations and an estate I manage so when not training, that is where all my time has been the last few months.  Can't wait for April 16th!

Keep at it everyone!

2010-04-09 7:57 AM
in reply to: #2773778

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
sesh - 2010-04-07 10:09 AM

Oh, and my wife passed her Praxis 2 Math Exam!  Of course, now she's got to find a teaching job while all the districts are making huge budget cuts.  We'll see how it goes.

Your picture taking skills are incredible!  And congrats to your wife!
2010-04-09 8:15 AM
in reply to: #2770063

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
karen26.2 - 2010-04-05 8:06 PM Wow - 1500 yards in one shot - that's quite an improvement.  Keep going, you'll see huge improvements.  Nice job!

My bike ride was good for the first 53 miles, then I just wanted it to be over.  It was a very hilly course and the last 7 miles was no easier.  I didn't do very well with hydration, next time I'll plan better.  But, I did 60 miles, so I can't complain.

Yesterday I ran with my husband and one of our dogs on a new path they built near by.  It's combo cement (I hate running on cement) and boardwalk.  Mostly boardwalk so it was nice.  I wish there was no cement.

I think I'm already ready for winter again - I hate heat and humidity.  It was 86 yesterday and today.  Too hot for me.

Karen,
Do you live on the water?

I'm seriously considering bowing out of the Masters swim class.  Third class in a row without a single "tip" or word or nod from the coach.  Also with 7 people in the lane now all of which are different speeds with wide ranges of overall conditioning, its becoming a bit ridiculous.  I feel like I get a lot more out of it when I'm by myself.  also, we don't really do any drills.  Its usually a warmup, intervals at easy/mod/hard  and then sprints.  There are a lot of professionals in our class, so thats where he is spending his time.  I guess I'm just a littled peeved that he would tell me he didn't want to do one on one lessons, but then not do any teaching during class.  If he just wants to work with the professionals thats fine, but don't tell me that and then not work with me at all.

2010-04-09 9:40 AM
in reply to: #2779488

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

George,

All masters classes and coaches are not created equal.  Just because it's there, doesn't always mean you need to be going to it.  I've been to one where all we got was a workout on a board everyday.  Yeah, don't think I need to pay extra every month for a swim workout I can get for free off the internet.  I've also been to one where we got some serious stroke instruction along with good workouts.  I was willing to pay a little something for it.

My advice?  Ditch that class.

2010-04-09 9:47 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Doctored up that swan pic a little:

2010-04-09 10:04 AM
in reply to: #2779796

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
sesh - 2010-04-09 9:40 AM

George,

All masters classes and coaches are not created equal.  Just because it's there, doesn't always mean you need to be going to it.  I've been to one where all we got was a workout on a board everyday.  Yeah, don't think I need to pay extra every month for a swim workout I can get for free off the internet.  I've also been to one where we got some serious stroke instruction along with good workouts.  I was willing to pay a little something for it.

My advice?  Ditch that class.

Thanks Bill.  Thats pretty much what it is.  he puts a workout on a kickboard and he comes to check on us to make sure we are getting through it, but its the same workout as everyone else just a little bit shorter yardage.  I would say half the class swam in college and a third of those at major programs.  A copy of each mornings workout is put in a binder so you can use it later in the day if you want. I swam on my own last night, 1500 yards was able to concentrate on one thing at a time, go slow and really, I did a few kick sets and then set of 1 x 1000 with the pull bouy.  35 minutes, and at the end my stroke felt nice and smooth.  I was able to do most of the early part of the workout today without the pull bouy and rather efficient because of the work I've been doing on my own.  By the time I finished swimming sprints I felt like my form was back at square one.  Enough B!tch!ng...

Bill, are you a professional photographer?  Maybe you should look into it, haha.

Quote of the day - As you all know, I'm a huge Bama fan
 "You stay bought into it when you see your opponent sucking air and physically failing and you're still fit and ready and you know you own his @$$. You know Coach Cochran was right all along and you don't ever want to be that man,"  Corey Reamer

Edited by GorgeousGeorge 2010-04-09 10:05 AM
2010-04-09 2:04 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

I have two good friends with pregnant wives and an insidious plan.  I'm going offer to shoot baby portraits for them for free, hope they turn out awesome, then have them tell other people about me.  Hopefully I can rake in some extra cash doing on the side work, buy some decent equipment, maybe work up to some events on the weekends, and make even more extra cash.  Then I might buy one of those super telephoto lenses and really get out in nature and take wildlife pics, which is what I love doing the most.

For now, my six year old niece has been my only portrait "client."

She got her feet wet at an Easter Egg hunt last weekend, and had to be consoled by grandpa.

Edited by sesh 2010-04-09 2:04 PM
2010-04-09 2:14 PM
in reply to: #2780768

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
sesh - 2010-04-09 2:04 PM

I have two good friends with pregnant wives and an insidious plan.  I'm going offer to shoot baby portraits for them for free, hope they turn out awesome, then have them tell other people about me.  Hopefully I can rake in some extra cash doing on the side work, buy some decent equipment, maybe work up to some events on the weekends, and make even more extra cash.  Then I might buy one of those super telephoto lenses and really get out in nature and take wildlife pics, which is what I love doing the most.

For now, my six year old niece has been my only portrait "client."

She got her feet wet at an Easter Egg hunt last weekend, and had to be consoled by grandpa.

haha, pretty cute.  Word of warning Bill....  I have a friend that did that and it turned into a full time job where she gets paid to travel to exotic locations for weddings all expenses paid.  Her life is miserable.

2010-04-09 4:08 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

People here in the South will pay out the rear end for a wedding photographer.  My freshmen year room mate from college is a photographer, and he does weddings to "pay the bills."  Then he does a bunch of artistic stuff as well.  Had some really small framed pics on sale for $60 at a food and arts festival last night.  I thought, "damn, I need to get into this racket."  Then I realized he hadn't sold anything all night.

2010-04-16 1:24 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

We need some color

2010-04-16 1:26 PM
in reply to: #2796751

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
sesh - 2010-04-16 1:24 PM

We need some color

Thats just mean on a friday, what an incredible pic.  Btw, someone should mention to the sun that smoking can cause harmful damage and possibly even death.

Picked up my bike yesterday, rode clipped in this morning and didn't fall and break my skull.  Win!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -FULL Rss Feed  

of 17