Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2009-07-20 4:02 PM
in reply to: #2070143

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Subject: RE: Prof40's group CLOSED
Thanks Greg. I'll try to take the same approach and balance more my nutrition. I feel much better now that I've been eating better. 70.3 !!! Wow, you are a brave man!!
I'm doing one event a month. I have another spront in two weeks, half marathon in Sep, and since I am going to be in FLA with the family I looked for another sprint for OCT and found one in Melbourne. They also have Olympic distance that same day, so I am debating here what to do. I've never done that distance, and was planning on doing one in November.
70.3 will have to wait until next year end of the season.
Do you have any plans for a full IM? if yes where and when?

2009-07-21 1:24 AM

User image

Regular
Vancouver
I've pretty much made a commitment to not try a full iron as the training would be more than I could feel good about as it would take too much time from my family.
2009-07-21 5:10 AM
in reply to: #2297881

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
gplitt - 2009-07-21 2:24 AM I've pretty much made a commitment to not try a full iron as the training would be more than I could feel good about as it would take too much time from my family.

You're so right. To do well -- which in my book, means to finish -- would require many weeks of 15 hours of training.

It's like having a second job!
2009-07-21 5:16 AM
in reply to: #2295139

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
gplitt -

It's been in the low hundreds here. I'm praying for a cool front in two weeks. How do you all deal with the heat?

If you figure that out, let me know! I just suffer.

On the run, you'll see huge containers containing wet sponges. Take one (or 2) and squeeze the cold water over your head and  down your neck, and tuck it into your shirt. You'll be surprised how good it feels.

And wear a visor instead of a hat. Let the heat escape.

And pace yourself! You'll feel an adrenalin hit when you're right off the bike. Resist the urge to push. Settle into your pace and run your race.

2009-07-21 5:17 AM
in reply to: #2296985

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
boxer - 2009-07-20 5:02 PM Thanks Greg. I'll try to take the same approach and balance more my nutrition. I feel much better now that I've been eating better. 70.3 !!! Wow, you are a brave man!!
I'm doing one event a month. I have another spront in two weeks, half marathon in Sep, and since I am going to be in FLA with the family I looked for another sprint for OCT and found one in Melbourne. They also have Olympic distance that same day, so I am debating here what to do. I've never done that distance, and was planning on doing one in November.
70.3 will have to wait until next year end of the season.
Do you have any plans for a full IM? if yes where and when?

That's quite a race schedule! I'm impressed.
2009-07-22 9:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Thanks David. I'm just doing what I can, life is hectic and we are not professional athletes, but again, I think is great privilege to have the time, the physical condition, family support and resources to practice this great sport.

Even if I'm just day dreaming, I still would like to think that I can finish a full Ironman. I'll be 44 pretty soon, I can't afford to postpone this goal for too long. I think that I rather fail trying than not doing it at all. Maybe in two to three years I would like to give it a shot. Which would you think is the begginner's friendliest IM in the country?

2009-07-23 4:50 AM
in reply to: #2302876

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
boxer - 2009-07-22 10:53 PM
Even if I'm just day dreaming, I still would like to think that I can finish a full Ironman. I'll be 44 pretty soon, I can't afford to postpone this goal for too long. I think that I rather fail trying than not doing it at all. Maybe in two to three years I would like to give it a shot. Which would you think is the begginner's friendliest IM in the country?

There's no such thing as a beginner friendly 140.6 mile race. While Florida is flat, it's hot. Lake Placid is lovely, but you're riding mountains. Each race is it's own beast.

Go to www.ironman.com and read up on all the US races. And if you're really intrigued, look at some of the foreign ones. I'm contemplating Ironman France in 2010, simply because my wife and I love that area of the world and we have a friend we may meet there.

But don't put it off. Most US Ironman races sell out a year in advance, so you need to plan your goal. If you'd like to do an IM race that is in May-July, chances are it is sold out for 2010. Littered throughout my appointment book are reminders of registration days for some of the big races. In fact, on August 4, registration opens for a big 1/2-IM in June 2010 that usually sells out. If you'd like to do an IM in 2011, you need to figure out which one by January so you can be ready to sign up when registration opens.

Of course, you can always do a 140.6 non-IM brand race. Same distance, same training, same effort, same competitors. But when I did mine, I wanted to do an "Ironman". Not that the normal person knows the difference. And in fact, you might bump into some guy some day who says only Hawaii is a true Ironman and calls the other races Ironman-qualifiers. Whatever.

I say don't wait 2-3 years. Just do it.

And here's a great list of races throughout the US for you: http://www.trifind.com/

2009-07-23 10:49 AM
in reply to: #2303009

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
prof40 - 2009-07-23 4:50 AM
boxer - 2009-07-22 10:53 PM

There's no such thing as a beginner friendly 140.6 mile race. While Florida is flat, it's hot. Lake Placid is lovely, but you're riding mountains. Each race is it's own beast.

Go to www.ironman.com and read up on all the US races. And if you're really intrigued, look at some of the foreign ones. I'm contemplating Ironman France in 2010, simply because my wife and I love that area of the world and we have a friend we may meet there.

But don't put it off. Most US Ironman races sell out a year in advance, so you need to plan your goal. If you'd like to do an IM race that is in May-July, chances are it is sold out for 2010. Littered throughout my appointment book are reminders of registration days for some of the big races. In fact, on August 4, registration opens for a big 1/2-IM in June 2010 that usually sells out. If you'd like to do an IM in 2011, you need to figure out which one by January so you can be ready to sign up when registration opens.

Of course, you can always do a 140.6 non-IM brand race. Same distance, same training, same effort, same competitors. But when I did mine, I wanted to do an "Ironman". Not that the normal person knows the difference. And in fact, you might bump into some guy some day who says only Hawaii is a true Ironman and calls the other races Ironman-qualifiers. Whatever.

I say don't wait 2-3 years. Just do it.

And here's a great list of races throughout the US for you: http://www.trifind.com/

David,
I'm glad you are giving me some encouragment again....... for a minute I thought you didn't recommend to go for the full IM.
I watch those on TV like I was watching the Superbowl. I am really motivated to try one, but also need to be realistic and cautious. I'll be burning some time on the web searching and maybe go for something around end of summer of 2011.
I want to run a full Marathon in spring and maybe NY '10 and also start doing long rides and sign up for longer OP swims.
I am very objevtive driven, and when I have a goal I like very much the process of getting there.
Again, can't take for granted first of all: life (you never know), health, motivation, job security and many other factors that allow us to be triathlets.  I waited a LONG time just to start. Peaople in my family says 'oh yeah, you always wanted to do that!" well, lucky me!!! I'm finally doing it!!
Ok, but first come first. In October I'm going for my first Olympic, and that is already a huge challenge. Is more than twice what I've been doing now, and neither one has been exactly easy!!!! My neighbor once told me "ah, you ran one of thos MINI triathlons" I wanted to punch him!!! mini, yeah right, nothing is mini here!!!!! Might be short, but everybody is literaly fluing!!
I had a good run last night, I'm spliting my runs, so I can go full throttle. Hydrating and eating better has made a difference.
Checking out for now.

Edited by boxer 2009-07-23 1:03 PM
2009-07-27 4:07 PM

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Boxer--you're addictedLaughing. Perhaps try the Olympic and then a 70.3 before you make that huge of a decision. I have raced two Sprints and one Olympic and my 70.3 is Sunday. I cannot even fathom the training it would take to double a 70.3. I'm in by far the best shape of my life, and I have 27 weeks of hard training without dogging it. If I finish Sunday around 6 hours I'll be thrilled. And then I think--110 miles on the bike followed by a full marathon? No way. Now--I'm sure I could do it, but not without more than the 10-15 hours a week I'm putting in now. 

I'm not telling you don't do it--I'm just saying to try the other distances first, and I think you'll have more of an idea what you're in for. Still, the running seems the hardest and if you take two years, build a base and can run a marathon--then no doubt you could do it. This is where I fold my cards, though. I'm going to try a few more 70.3s next year--I think that's the distance for me. I may do a 70.3 in September if Sunday goes well.

I went to Spokane and ran  the 13.1 mile course on Thursday (longest run of my life), then did the 56 mile bike on Friday morning. The run is not too bad (a few hills) although I barely made it in two hours. I'm just not a geat runner. The bike has lots of hills, actually about 10 miles uphill. I couldn't average 19 on it (I forgot my computer so I was guessing), and I've been over 20 on my last three 56 mile rides. My wife thought I was crazy: 6 hour drive each way, hotel food, etc. but I'm glad I did it. I know the course now and what to expect. That will help my confidence.

I'm starting to taper today. No more hard workouts. My bike is in the shop for a tune. I guess I'm where I will be training-wise--now I need rest and taper workouts. I feel really good about my training. I don't think I could have done much better, but I'm now just trying to relax and keep the stress low and have fun. I had a lot of fun in my Olympic--I want to repeat that.

Sorry for the long post--I'm just relieving my pre-race stress. Anybody race lately or going to?
2009-07-28 6:56 PM
in reply to: #2311031

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
gplitt - 2009-07-27 4:07 PM Boxer--you're addictedLaughing. Perhaps try the Olympic and then a 70.3 before you make that huge of a decision. I have raced two Sprints and one Olympic and my 70.3 is Sunday. I cannot even fathom the training it would take to double a 70.3. I'm in by far the best shape of my life, and I have 27 weeks of hard training without dogging it. If I finish Sunday around 6 hours I'll be thrilled. And then I think--110 miles on the bike followed by a full marathon? No way. Now--I'm sure I could do it, but not without more than the 10-15 hours a week I'm putting in now. 

I'm not telling you don't do it--I'm just saying to try the other distances first, and I think you'll have more of an idea what you're in for. Still, the running seems the hardest and if you take two years, build a base and can run a marathon--then no doubt you could do it. This is where I fold my cards, though. I'm going to try a few more 70.3s next year--I think that's the distance for me. I may do a 70.3 in September if Sunday goes well.

I went to Spokane and ran  the 13.1 mile course on Thursday (longest run of my life), then did the 56 mile bike on Friday morning. The run is not too bad (a few hills) although I barely made it in two hours. I'm just not a geat runner. The bike has lots of hills, actually about 10 miles uphill. I couldn't average 19 on it (I forgot my computer so I was guessing), and I've been over 20 on my last three 56 mile rides. My wife thought I was crazy: 6 hour drive each way, hotel food, etc. but I'm glad I did it. I know the course now and what to expect. That will help my confidence.

I'm starting to taper today. No more hard workouts. My bike is in the shop for a tune. I guess I'm where I will be training-wise--now I need rest and taper workouts. I feel really good about my training. I don't think I could have done much better, but I'm now just trying to relax and keep the stress low and have fun. I had a lot of fun in my Olympic--I want to repeat that.

Sorry for the long post--I'm just relieving my pre-race stress. Anybody race lately or going to?

Hey Greg,
No need to apologize for the lon post, actually enjoyed it a lot!
Good luck on your 70.3! Sounds like you are doing things right, so the outcome should be great!!! Can't wait to hear how yoo did.
I'm taking it easy, no worries about that. I started this season doing only sprints, I have one this Sunday in Charleston, SC which is very competitive. I'm doing my first Olympic in October in FLA.
My first 70.3 won't take place until Sep next year and if I jump in to the IM crazyness it won't happen until Oct 2011, so I might be crazy but won't try to kill myself!!!
I'm trying to keep up with the training with a 12 hour zone difference!! Not easy.
Take care.

Edited by boxer 2009-07-28 11:39 PM
2009-07-29 4:41 AM
in reply to: #2311031

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
gplitt - 2009-07-27 5:07 PM Boxer--you're addictedLaughing.

Sounds like you are, too!

Enjoy the taper and have a great race -- remember, this is supposed to be fun!

2009-07-29 10:27 AM

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Boxer-sounds like you have it planned out very well. I thought you were talking about going from Sprint to Full Ironman. I went zero to 70.3 in 5 months--I think I would rethink that if I could but I'm doing okay now. Sounds like you have a great, long-term plan.

Thanks guys. This forum has been a great encouragement.

Oh-I ran 20 minutes in 105 temp yesterday. I didn't want my race run to shock me too much heat-wise. I think I was temporarily in Hell. I'm hoping for 80's on Sunday, but looks like it's going to be HOT.
2009-08-03 11:32 AM

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Well, I ran my 70.3 yesterday. It was good, great and ugly. I don't have results yet, but my swim was around 41 minutes--very good for me, my bike was under 3 hours which on this hard, hilly course, was awesome for me, and my run was terrible. I was averaging 20 mph on the bike even after 12 miles of uphill when at 50 miles I started cramping, at first in the legs, then my stomach. The last 6 miles were very diificult (and uphill into a hot wind) but I still turned in the best bike of my life. I was 16 minutes ahead of my goal going into the run.

At mile 2 of the run my guts seized up so badly I wanted to throw up but couldn't. If I tried to take in food it came back into my throat. Water was fine, but nothing else worked. My goal changed from under 6 hours, to finish without dying. For the next two hours I was in a living hell--guts exploding, legs cramped, back killing me, hips going out and 95 degree temps (hotter than that probably because no shade and black pavement). I turned in the worst run (run/walk) of my life and finished in 6:32 (I think--they haven't posted results yet). By mile 6 I was really close to heat stroke and went and sat in the river for 10 or 15 minutes to cool my core down. This helped a lot and allowed me to finish (but killed my time). Oh well--at this point I just wanted to survive.

I did, finished, and now will think through the whole process. I had a terrific 4 hours--I was having a ball and way on course to blow away my goal. Then I had 2 and 1/2 hours of absolute hell.

Bottom line--I learned so much out there. My friend tells me you learn way for when things don't go perfect than when they do. I was dissapointed with myself until I found out the winning time was 45 minutes slower than last year (which was in the low 80 degree range) and I understood that I did pretty well all things considered. I'll write more later--we're going to the Philippines tomorrow and my wife is stressed. She's made all my triathlon stuff possible, and I need to pull my domestic weight today!! 

I may do a 70.3 relay (where I do the bike) with some friends in September. Other than that, probably no more races for me this year. If I have access in the Philippines I'll stay in touch, but I'm going to be in a squatter village on the southern island so I doubt it. Keep going guys--I'll be back August 21. 

Edited by gplitt 2009-08-03 9:22 PM
2009-08-05 5:35 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Nice job on your race! Sometimes finishing is the true victory!
2009-08-05 10:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Race report:
Finished my third sprint triathlon (ever) and it was a great race in Charleston, SC. Beautiful place, very well organized and the weather was just fantastic. We made it a family weekend and everybody had a fun.
I had to run through jet lag, but I trained well, was hydrated and carboloaded. Bike was tuned, showed up early and after getting chipped and ink, I set up my transition area and went for 10' ride, followed by a mile  run, followed by 10' of easy swim in the lake. Is the first time that I warm up and I think it made a difference. At least it helped get over the jet lag a little bit.
Decent swim, it was kind of a competitive enviroment out there, so this is the first time that I had to fight legs and elbows and there was a guy chasing me and bumping me everytime I tried to pass him, not fun. I decided to just draft out of him. I could probably have been able to push harder on hte swim, but no regrets because I felt great in bike, almost 23mph.
In the run as usual, I sucked, but I sucked less this time.
16. 7 JAIME   43   SAVANNAH GA 6   10:29 1:34   12        34:11    1:06   21   26:29         1:13:47

Overall, I'm happy with the result, I was hoping to brake 1hr 20' and it happened and obviously I finished tired but not exhausted. Looking forward to the next race. For now, back to training.
2009-08-07 4:49 AM
in reply to: #2330902

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
boxer - 2009-08-05 11:48 PM Race report:
Finished my third sprint triathlon (ever) and it was a great race in Charleston, SC. Beautiful place, very well organized and the weather was just fantastic. We made it a family weekend and everybody had a fun.
I had to run through jet lag, but I trained well, was hydrated and carboloaded. Bike was tuned, showed up early and after getting chipped and ink, I set up my transition area and went for 10' ride, followed by a mile  run, followed by 10' of easy swim in the lake. Is the first time that I warm up and I think it made a difference. At least it helped get over the jet lag a little bit.
Decent swim, it was kind of a competitive enviroment out there, so this is the first time that I had to fight legs and elbows and there was a guy chasing me and bumping me everytime I tried to pass him, not fun. I decided to just draft out of him. I could probably have been able to push harder on hte swim, but no regrets because I felt great in bike, almost 23mph.
In the run as usual, I sucked, but I sucked less this time.
16. 7 JAIME   43   SAVANNAH GA 6   10:29 1:34   12        34:11    1:06   21   26:29         1:13:47

Overall, I'm happy with the result, I was hoping to brake 1hr 20' and it happened and obviously I finished tired but not exhausted. Looking forward to the next race. For now, back to training.

Sounds like a great race. Nice job!

2009-08-16 9:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Hey guys!! It's good to see you're all still training! I'm back from the jungle, after 6 weeks of trekking and doing mammal research. What an AMAZING experience, although b/c of all the hard work and the lack of food, especially a balanced diet (it was lacking in protein and fat, and there was rice at every. single. meal.), I have lost a lot of weight (10 lbs, but that's off a 110 lb frame so... not so good) and a lot of what I've lost is muscle mass, I'm sure.

I'm attempting a solo, really relaxed swim tomorrow to see where I am at. I'm still recovering from the trip (by the end, lack of vitamins, minerals and protein left me suffering from mild malnutrition, with intense weakness, cramps and spasms in my muscles, particularly my legs).

I hope everyone's been well?!
2009-08-16 11:47 PM
in reply to: #2352197

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
krystyna47 - 2009-08-16 9:46 PM Hey guys!! It's good to see you're all still training! I'm back from the jungle, after 6 weeks of trekking and doing mammal research. What an AMAZING experience, although b/c of all the hard work and the lack of food, especially a balanced diet (it was lacking in protein and fat, and there was rice at every. single. meal.), I have lost a lot of weight (10 lbs, but that's off a 110 lb frame so... not so good) and a lot of what I've lost is muscle mass, I'm sure.

I'm attempting a solo, really relaxed swim tomorrow to see where I am at. I'm still recovering from the trip (by the end, lack of vitamins, minerals and protein left me suffering from mild malnutrition, with intense weakness, cramps and spasms in my muscles, particularly my legs).

I hope everyone's been well?!

Welcome back Krystyna! Muscle and weight will come back. What a great experience you just had, congrats!
2009-08-19 4:17 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Welcome home Krystyna, and hello to everyone -- what's on the horizon as we finish out the summer?
2009-08-19 7:26 AM
in reply to: #2357380

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
prof40 - 2009-08-19 5:17 AM Welcome home Krystyna, and hello to everyone -- what's on the horizon as we finish out the summer?

On the very near horizon for me is a Sprint tri this Saturday. This is strictly for fun. I love racing, and when I returned from Peru, I was quite discouraged by how much weight I had lost, specifically all my muscle mass. That, and my aerobic capacity has greatly diminished, etc etc.

So I am reminding myself once, and only once, how to swim, how to bike, how to run, before I go to this Sprint triathlon. There, I'll be amazed - as I always am - at how utterly talented, strong and courageous all my fellow triathletes are. This will 100% encourage me to keep on training and to get back to where I was before I left, and beyond.

What about everyone else?
2009-08-20 6:16 AM
in reply to: #2357490

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
krystyna47 - 2009-08-19 8:26 AM
prof40 - 2009-08-19 5:17 AM Welcome home Krystyna, and hello to everyone -- what's on the horizon as we finish out the summer?

On the very near horizon for me is a Sprint tri this Saturday. This is strictly for fun. I love racing, and when I returned from Peru, I was quite discouraged by how much weight I had lost, specifically all my muscle mass. That, and my aerobic capacity has greatly diminished, etc etc.

So I am reminding myself once, and only once, how to swim, how to bike, how to run, before I go to this Sprint triathlon. There, I'll be amazed - as I always am - at how utterly talented, strong and courageous all my fellow triathletes are. This will 100% encourage me to keep on training and to get back to where I was before I left, and beyond.

What about everyone else?

Like you, I have a race on Sunday that I am not truly prepared for, but I'm doing just to do. If the weather holds, it should be a lovely morning.

2009-08-20 3:03 PM

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Hey everyone--I'm back from the Philippines. What an experience!. Krystyna--good to hear from you. I'm in about the same place--lost muscle, especially in the legs. I worked hard and ate rice every meal, but almost no protien. I have not run, biked or swam since Sunday the 2nd in my 70.3 race. I wanted to, but it was totally impractical. I also hurt my back playing basketball in flip-flops (they don't have shoes and I was trying to live like them--not a rich American, but flip-flops were not a good idea) on what they call a "court" in the third world.

So--I'm trying to recover from 24 hours of flying and a bad back. I'll try to run later today, but my back is so bad I can hardly walk. My triathlon days are not over though--Time to get it back and race again--hopefully this season.

I was able to raise enough money from my race fundraising to feed 39 sexually abused girls at the orphanage for a year, plus get some medical supplies. If you don't remember, that's why I started triathlon. The dollar goes so far in the Philippines. What an experience to give them the money and spend 3 weeks working at their facility. It was a sad but beautiful experience to see lives being rebuilt.

Good luck on the races this weekend.

Edited by gplitt 2009-08-21 12:03 AM
2009-08-26 3:46 PM

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Quiet group lately--how did the races go?

I have a question--after taking three weeks completely off, I have come back with three runs (4; 7; 4 miles) three bikes (10; 20; 25 miles) and one swim (3/4 mile). I feel weaker, but great physically. How much should I push it? I may try to do one more 70.3 on Sept. 19 if I can get it back, or just go into base training for winter. Thoughts?

Krystyna--how's your training going after 6 weeks off?

Anybody still racing?

Edited by gplitt 2009-08-26 6:36 PM
2009-08-26 6:01 PM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
My race went better than anticipated but I still missed my 6-hour goal. So close, yet so far.

Like you, I'm looking at one more race for the season, and have my calendar open on my desk I type this. I so want to hit my mark.

I say go and race, if you can get in. Why not? Smile and enjoy the day and be thankful that you get to do these things.
2009-08-26 6:39 PM

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Sounds good. I think I will have fun this time. I think I'm passed the stress. I want to take the training seriously and just have fun in the races. I may look into a relay with my two friends who wanted to do a race but didn't. Heck--I may do two races.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 18