BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Come fly with me!- Closed again with a bunch of winners! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2009-03-21 3:54 PM
in reply to: #1857812

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Subject: RE: Come fly with me!- Closed again with a bunch of winners!

So other than my 7 mile ride a couple of weeks ago, I rode my new bike today for the first real ride.  It's AWESOME, I love it.  The saddle is going to take some getting used to, but other than that there was not one thing I didn't like about it.

I was surprised at how quickly I became comfortable being in the aero position.  I'm not as confident on this new bike as I am on my old one, but I don't think it will be long before I am.

We rode for 2 hours and after the ride we did a short run.  My leg muscles felt much different getting off the tri bike and running than how they feel after riding my road bike.  This years races should be interesting...

2009-03-22 6:02 PM

User image

Regular
Goldsboro, NC

Hey guys...another newbie question here!  I find that when it comes to biking...my pace, total time and the way I feel is a lot better riding with a group of people instead of being alone.  When I say a "lot" better...I mean a lot better for me.  Instead of 14-16 mph, I may do 17-19 with a group...and it feels easier.  Anyway...I was just wondering if you guys found this to be true also.

Thanks! 

2009-03-22 8:27 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Typically if you ride with a group you have the advantage of drafting. It can easily be 2 - 3 miles faster than riding on your own. I generally ride alone, but when I do ride with other people I notice a huge difference in effort. I have to coast a lot, and sometimes use my brakes because I get sucked in. Do you ride in a pace line, and take turns pulling the group from the front? I am always amazed @ the riders that can ride in a tight pack and not crash. It freaks me out, but wish it didn't.
2009-03-23 7:24 AM

Regular
I am the self-proclaimed "Queen of the Paceline." I rarely ride alone (remember...I am not really a racer.) Chuck, Karen is right. You are experiencing the wonderful effects of drafting. Drafting works in group riding the same way it does in NASCAR. The person in front is working 30-40 percent more than the people behind. The person in front is working against the wind and blocking the wind from the riders behind. This allows the group as a whole to ride at a faster pace with less effort. In most groups, you take turns "at the front." This allows everyone to benefit from the draft. It allows you to work hard at the front and recover when you are in the back. It is kind of like doing intervals. My son stayed in my draft for most of last year's riding. It allowed him to keep up with the adults without the effort. This year he will be on the front much more. Last year, he wasn't large enough to block much wind for the people behind. This year, he is 6'1" and weighs more than me. He now has a good draft. I always try to find the largest person to draft behind when I am tired.

Riding with a group can be fun if it is organized and has good communication. Otherwise, it is scary and dangerous. Riding with a group is good for getting in longer rides, doing interval work, and lower heartrate zone work. Because drafting is illegal in tri-sports, it is important to ride alone some as well. I knew a woman who rode with my Saturday group while she was training for a half-ironman tri. She stayed in the draft without taking many if any turns at the front. I didn't see how that was going to help her get stronger.

In our Saturday group rides, we have a lot of riders who don't take turns at the front. This allows riders who are not as experienced to ride at a faster pace than normal. It allows those that are willing and strong enough, to get a good interval workout and still finish faster than if riding alone.
2009-03-25 6:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Hello group,
I am back and ready to hit the pavement again. I had a thought while I was gone I had a thought about what to take to a race. A couple of things I thought of are the following:

Electrical tape
scissors
zip ties
race belt
chain lube
recovery drink

Just a few ideas. I use the scissors to shape the number for the bike. Zip ties to attach it or hold together anything that breaks at that unhandy time of the morning at the race. The tape is great for last minute repairs, attaching things but is not as sticky as duct tape so it will come back off when you get home.

Good stuff.

Also I have my own race belt because I don't like pinning numbers on something about sharp pins around when I am trying to change clothes quickly. Also a lot of people don't understand that a number belt stretches when you put it on. So the number looks small when it is on the belt until you put it on.

2009-03-25 6:16 PM
in reply to: #2033279

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
atostig - 2009-03-22 4:02 PM

Hey guys...another newbie question here!  I find that when it comes to biking...my pace, total time and the way I feel is a lot better riding with a group of people instead of being alone.  When I say a "lot" better...I mean a lot better for me.  Instead of 14-16 mph, I may do 17-19 with a group...and it feels easier.  Anyway...I was just wondering if you guys found this to be true also.

Thanks! 

Hi Chuck,
Don't forget too the psychological effect of exercising with other people. We naturally try to keep up with others and I for one hate being last If you want a better workout while biking with a group just ride beside the pace line. This will negate some of the drafting effect while still trying to keep up with friends.....just look out for oncoming traffic.

2009-03-25 6:17 PM
in reply to: #2032014

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
karen26.2 - 2009-03-21 1:54 PM

So other than my 7 mile ride a couple of weeks ago, I rode my new bike today for the first real ride.  It's AWESOME, I love it.  The saddle is going to take some getting used to, but other than that there was not one thing I didn't like about it.

I was surprised at how quickly I became comfortable being in the aero position.  I'm not as confident on this new bike as I am on my old one, but I don't think it will be long before I am.

We rode for 2 hours and after the ride we did a short run.  My leg muscles felt much different getting off the tri bike and running than how they feel after riding my road bike.  This years races should be interesting...

I am so glad you are loving your new bike. I am anxious to hear how you like it in a race.
2009-03-27 3:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Tomorrow is my forst race of the season and before every race I like to set a couple of goals. For this one they are as follows (in order of importance)
Have fun
Finish with a smile
Do a better job of pacing myself so I can finish strong instead of just surviving because I went too hard during the first part.
Beat my time from last year

So there you have it.

How is everyone doing with training etc?
2009-03-27 3:07 PM

Regular
Karen and Scott both have races tomorrow. Good luck to you both! We want to hear about your races as soon as you can post. We will be sending you positive race thoughts.
2009-03-27 6:12 PM

Regular
schuylkill haven, pa

Good luck to the both of you, we know you will do great.

2009-03-27 7:18 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Thanks for the positive words. Like Scott, I have a few goals: 1. Finish 2. Finish feeling good 3. Finish with a smile 4. Have fun I don't really want to put down a time goal and stress myself out. I have not done this half before, I did the full a few years ago and it was brutal. I do have a time in my mind, that I will post after the race. Oh, and my race isn't until Sunday. Good luck Scott, kick some butt!

2009-03-28 8:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Okay so there I was at the start line. Anyway.

It was a fun and educational race today. Its a 3 mile run, 16.5 mile bike and 3 mile run again. The race overall felt great until I got off the bike and went to run again. I got some advice before the race that I didn't need my electrolytes or fluids during the race because it was so short. So I took my bottle off my bike thinking of all the weight I saved. This is one of those times I should have stuck with my instincts. When my body runs low on electrolytes I start to go numb in the face and hands and my legs just quit working. I have this overwhelming urge to lay down and curl up. (Yep I had this experience once before and it was not fun at all). I knew what was going on but could nothing about it because I had nothing with me.

So my first run took 21:20 and my second took 31:20. The bike took 58:13. My first run was 30 seconds faster than last year and my bike was over 4 minutes faster so I am okay with that. Because I learned a valuable lesson about my electrolyte needs and time in which they are needed I can still say I had a great day and a lot of fun.

One othewr interesting thing is my HR. At the start before the race even started I was at 130. For the first run I was 184-193 with an average of 190
For the bike I was 192(hill) to 154 with a 174 avg
For the second run I was at 177-120 with an average of 152. (Definately tell there was a problem here. )

Well I like to think on this stuff for a day or two and may have some more info later.

Thanks for your encouragement everyone. I thought about you guys a lot today. (I think the funniest thought was "How am I going to explain this one") :-)
2009-03-29 12:12 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia

Great job Scott - you did well, be happy!

My race was great - I did much better than I had hoped.  Secretly I wanted to finish in under 2:05, and also average under a 9:30 pace.  I did both.  (I'm not even sure what a 9:30 pace would finish at, I just had the two goals in my mind.)

I finished in 2:02:15 with an average pace of 9:17.  I was very happy.  I looked at my heartrate quite a bit, knowing from the past several weeks of watching it during training, that I'm comfortable in the low 160's and not so comfortable in the high 160's and above.  Well, my heartrate was in the high 160's and 170's for a lot of the time, and I still felt ok.

I'm having trouble downloading my Garmin data, but once I see the mile splits, and the heartrate ranges, I'm sure I'll have some more thoughts.

I will say that mile 9 to 10 was tough.  Physically I was tired, mentally I was not happy.  But I told myself that I was more than halfway done, and I needed to get over it.  So I sucked it up and kept going.

My learning experiece is to not go out too fast (which I know I did), but other than that I think I ran a good race.  And I can honestly say that I had a good time, I didn't injure myself, and I finished with a smile on my face - AND I beat my time and pace goal.  = )

2009-03-29 12:18 PM
in reply to: #2047004

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
karen26.2 - 2009-03-29 10:12 AM

Great job Scott - you did well, be happy!

My race was great - I did much better than I had hoped.  Secretly I wanted to finish in under 2:05, and also average under a 9:30 pace.  I did both.  (I'm not even sure what a 9:30 pace would finish at, I just had the two goals in my mind.)

I finished in 2:02:15 with an average pace of 9:17.  I was very happy.  I looked at my heartrate quite a bit, knowing from the past several weeks of watching it during training, that I'm comfortable in the low 160's and not so comfortable in the high 160's and above.  Well, my heartrate was in the high 160's and 170's for a lot of the time, and I still felt ok.

I'm having trouble downloading my Garmin data, but once I see the mile splits, and the heartrate ranges, I'm sure I'll have some more thoughts.

I will say that mile 9 to 10 was tough.  Physically I was tired, mentally I was not happy.  But I told myself that I was more than halfway done, and I needed to get over it.  So I sucked it up and kept going.

My learning experiece is to not go out too fast (which I know I did), but other than that I think I ran a good race.  And I can honestly say that I had a good time, I didn't injure myself, and I finished with a smile on my face - AND I beat my time and pace goal.  = )

Good for you!!! That is excellent. Its tough to suck it up and keep going sometimes so nice job!.
2009-03-29 1:49 PM

Regular
Scott,
Having to explain a lack of electrolytes is better than when I had to explain getting beat by the 9 year old in the first run of the duathlon and almost getting beat by her 6 year old sister in the second run. I had plenty of electrolytes at the time just not enough air.

I do think it is funny that most of us have considered (or done) taking off our water bottle in a race to save weight. In a short race, the weight doesn't factor in very much. I don't think the weight could count for more than fractions of seconds. I will say that I don't carry a water bottle on my bike during a race, but that is because I have to slow down to drink while riding. I don't drink and drive very well. My heartrate is also to high for me to swallow. I have to start the race very hydrated.

You did a great job! Thanks for sharing what you learned with us.
2009-03-29 10:49 PM
in reply to: #2047121

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
colewarren - 2009-03-29 11:49 AM

Scott,
Having to explain a lack of electrolytes is better than when I had to explain getting beat by the 9 year old in the first run of the duathlon and almost getting beat by her 6 year old sister in the second run. I had plenty of electrolytes at the time just not enough air.

I do think it is funny that most of us have considered (or done) taking off our water bottle in a race to save weight. In a short race, the weight doesn't factor in very much. I don't think the weight could count for more than fractions of seconds. I will say that I don't carry a water bottle on my bike during a race, but that is because I have to slow down to drink while riding. I don't drink and drive very well. My heartrate is also to high for me to swallow. I have to start the race very hydrated.

You did a great job! Thanks for sharing what you learned with us.

Well I was trying to shoulder all the blame myself for the whole electrolyte thing but I do have to admit in the interest of being truthful that I was told to take it off and that I wouldn't need it by someone that I trusted. I think they had the best of intentions but everyone is different and I should have known better and kept it on. I think I could skip breakfast and save more weight so oh well I learned and next time I will do what I know to be right.

A good lesson for us all. As we all trainwe learn things about how we work and what training techniques work best. I would work hard to pay attention to these things and make them to your advantage. My problem at the race is a direct result of knowing what is best for me and not paying attention to it. Racing does seem to amplify effects because of the elevated stress so a little glitch now can turn into a train wreck when it counts. One example of this is Gatorade. I used to drink it a lot and noticed a little GI distress but nothing big. At the races though my stomach just got ripped up. Finally I put two and two together, switched to something else and have had no problems since. So for what its worth. Have a great day and week of training.

2009-03-31 5:23 AM

Regular
schuylkill haven, pa

Scott and Karen congrats on your race.

This question is for all who have had a race. What was your diet like the day before the race and the morning of your race? What type of foods did you consume, fluid intake etc. ?

Next question is what type of warm up do you do the morning of the race?

Thanks

Jeff

Edited by spinepa 2009-03-31 5:28 AM
2009-03-31 10:51 AM
in reply to: #2050302

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
spinepa - 2009-03-31 6:23 AM

This question is for all who have had a race. What was your diet like the day before the race and the morning of your race? What type of foods did you consume, fluid intake etc. ?

Thanks

Jeff

Good questions Jeff.  Not sure you should follow my example, but...

Food wise - I increased my food intake starting two days before.  Not by much, but maybe an added power bar or some pretzels for the carbs and salt.

The day before I ate pretty normal, something every 2 to 2.5 hours, and had an early dinner @ 6pm.  I ate enough pasta for probably 10 people to run the half marathon.  I was worried I might feel heavy the next day, but since we ate so early I was fine.

Woke up 2 hours before the race, had a cup & a half of coffee (I always do this, but if you don't normally drink coffee before a race I do not recommend this), had my two packets of instant oatmeal (as if I hadn't already had enough carbs the night before, but that's what I did during training and it sits well on my stomach), some water and G2.

Oh, and I drank more G2 the two days prior as well, vs. just water.  I wanted to get electrolytes into my body for the race.  The G2 doesn't add that many calories so I drank a lot.

Warm up - I'm horrible about not warming up.  I did nothing except turn on my iPod.

That's what I did, and typically what I do.  I found that if I don't drink some form of Gatorade the two days leading up to the race, I feel sluggish.  Especially if it's summer time and I'm sweating a lot on the run.

Hope that helps.

2009-03-31 12:17 PM
in reply to: #2050302

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
spinepa - 2009-03-31 3:23 AM

Thanks

Jeff

Good question and Karen has a lot of good insight. For me I try to not change a whole lot as this is when I run into problems. I do try to have an earlier dinner as well (like Karen said) This gives your body a chance to digest and empty itself so you don't find yourself having to go to the bathroom at a bad time.

Two days before I had pasta for dinner and the night before I had two chicken strips baked in french dressing and I don't remember what else. Basic stuff nothing fancy or out of the ordinary.

The day of I had a protein shake with a vitamin and mineral pack 3 hours before the start. Tried to stock up a ;little on fluids but I hate to drink too much as it just makes the potty stops more frequent. As I remembered in the last race though that if you are not going to "stock up" on electrolytes before hand, take some with you. Then I got to the race about 1:30 before the start. I like to have plenty of time to get set up, checked in and then sit down relax and just breathe. This is a great time to think about the race plan and strategize how you want to race. This is what I have been working for and I am going to enjoy it. Fifteen minutes before the race I do jog with some pickups to race pace for 15 seconds with a 45 second recovery. I usually do 5-6 of these just to get my body thinking it is time to go to work. 5-8 minutes before the start I take a gel and have a drink of water. Don't take a gel longer than the last 10 minutes before the race. Your body digests differently and you actually will take blood from your muscles if you do that. (Don't ever take gel and a drink of gatorade etc at the same time. It comes back up and is nasty.) Then I head to the start to have some last few visualizations and go over my race plan in my head.

One other thing I do is for the first mile of the race I just repeat over and over to myself "don't blow up, don't blow up.......)This reminds me that it is okay to be passed and that I want mainly to just finish strong. Starting strong is worthless if I am too tired to finish.

Hope that helps. Good question.
2009-03-31 2:01 PM

Regular
Jeff,
My answers are similar to the others. However, I started making sure that I stay hydrated a week before the race. I am also trying to make sure that I stay fueled with good food choices this week. I will eat a large pasta dinner (with some protein...like shrimp added) the evening before the race though I have read this may not be the best idea.

I try to have all of my food and drink in me 2 hours before the race just to insure that I don't have to find a restroom on the course. I am a coffee drinker, and I do drink my coffee before the race to make sure I don't get a caffeine headache. Breakfast is usually mostly liquid (protein shake/drink) and some complex carbohydrate like a wholegrain muffin.

As far as a warm-up...I haven't gotten this worked out properly, yet. I do suggest getting the legs ready to work. I will probably jog a little before the start.

Your race is coming up too. You will do great because your training has been great.
2009-04-01 4:50 PM

Regular
schuylkill haven, pa

Thanks so much for all the great info. Food wise this was in line with what I was thinking, and I love my coffee. As for warm up I need to warm up, it take me forever to get in the flow, especially the swim it takes me a good 600 yds. to get in the rhythm.

Again thanks for the input.

Jeff

Edited by spinepa 2009-04-01 4:51 PM

2009-04-04 5:24 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia

I believe Cole's big race is tomorrow - GO COLE!!

We want a full report - specifically details about how you left your brother in the dust!

Have fun, I'll be thinking of you.

2009-04-04 5:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Hello everyone,
Sorry for the hiadous. I got the flu, I thought it went away, then it came back. So now its gone and I am here.

Good luck tomorrow Cole! We'll be thinking of you.

Ready for a question of the every three weeks or so??? What are some tips you could share with us on how to balance training with family, work and the rest of your life etc?
2009-04-04 7:37 PM
in reply to: #2062896

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia

holt1997 - 2009-04-04 6:33 PM Ready for a question of the every three weeks or so??? What are some tips you could share with us on how to balance training with family, work and the rest of your life etc?

Oh, that's a tough one.  Fortunately for me my son is 18 and really doesn't need me much (unless he's short on cash!). 

My husband - well I try to exercise as early in the morning as I can, or at lunch sometimes during the week.  He's pretty understanding and knows that I'm not a happy person to have in the house if I don't get my exercise in.  So he's happy for me to head out for a while on the weekends to get my workouts in.  When I do get back home I try to make the rest of the day about him.  He likes that.

Now that the weather has been turning nice, work makes it difficult to try to fit in some after work group runs and bike rides.  I'm trying to get into work earlier on the days I know I want to exercise after work, so I don't feel bad if I leave @ 5pm on the dot!

2009-04-05 1:03 PM

Regular
Hello Friends,
Thank you all for the well wishes and happy thoughts. It truly makes a difference. I thought of you all at several places in the race, and kept running when I wanted to walk because I knew I would have to post the outcome to you folks.

Let me say that I had a blast riding bikes with my brother all weekend. I felt like we were kids again. He had a great time as well. On Friday evening, we rode trail bikes with a bunch of friends. I told my brother that I was taking it easy (and he should too), but he chose to chase my youngest son. My son tired him out...just like we asked him to do. Saturday, we rode the bike section of the race to get a preview.

Now for the race...I wore my HRM to help me pace myself, but I never looked at it. I went on how I felt. I also never looked at the time. The men started 3 minutes ahead of the women. By the end of the first run, I had passed my husband and had my brother in my sights (7:40 min/mile), but he was still ahead. My brother chose to wear his tennis shoes and toe cages on his pedals to have faster transition times. I recommend this if you have a short bike ride. I never saw my brother on the bike, and his bike time was 35 seconds faster than mine (my avg. 19.9 mph). I finally caught up to him and passed him on the last run (my 2nd run avg. 8:07 min/mile). I beat him by 3 minutes overall. My brother wants a rematch, and we may do it again next year. Next year I want to beat his bike time too.

In the final stretch, I was passed by 2 women that I had passed on the bike. I was dissappointed that I was not able to keep up or pass them back. I didn't have anything left in my engine. I also had to stop just before the finish line to throw up a couple of times. I guess looking at my HRM might have been a good idea, so that I would have known that I reached my VT. I wanted to beat those two women, because I secretly wanted to place in the top 3 of my age group. When they passed me at the finish, I just knew that was out of the question. I took solace in the fact that I did my best (truly), and I felt that I represented you guys well. It turns out those women were not in my agegroup...they were quite a bit younger. I finished first in my agegroup. I took 15 minutes off of my time from last year. My husband and brother were so proud of me. Hearing them clap and seeing their smiles when I received my prize was priceless to me.

I feel good about the race. I had a lot more fun than I had last year. It was fun to chase my brother. Next year, I'll beat him on the bike too. Thanks again for your encouragement.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Come fly with me!- Closed again with a bunch of winners! Rss Feed  

of 19