BT Development Mentor Program Archives » crea0029/etknowles's group - CLOSED for now Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2009-02-11 5:40 PM
in reply to: #1857670

Regular
Subject: RE: crea0029/etknowles's group - CLOSED for now
hi everyone!!!!!! my modem blew. it took till now to get my computer back up!!!! the last two weeks have been unbeleivably stressful.  will talk later    cath

2009-02-11 7:01 PM
in reply to: #1957550

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

cathcan - 2009-02-11 5:40 PM hi everyone!!!!!! my modem blew. it took till now to get my computer back up!!!! the last two weeks have been unbeleivably stressful.  will talk later    cath

Cath, I am so glad you are back!  I thought we lost you...

2009-02-11 8:18 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

Well I am so happy!!  My crazy week is over!!  I have four, count them FOUR days off of work!!  Nice to see the little chatter going on.  How is everyone's training going on?  Staying strong?

My training is going well.  My legs are a little fatigued and I am at 7 miles for long running on the weekend.   I am just adding slowly to it.  My first half marathon for the season is end of March... getting closer

2009-02-11 8:27 PM
in reply to: #1957550

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX

cathcan - 2009-02-11 5:40 PM hi everyone!!!!!! my modem blew. it took till now to get my computer back up!!!! the last two weeks have been unbeleivably stressful.  will talk later    cath

Welcome back, we were worried about you!  So glad everything is OK!

2009-02-11 8:31 PM
in reply to: #1957815

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
crea0029 - 2009-02-11 8:18 PM

Well I am so happy!!  My crazy week is over!!  I have four, count them FOUR days off of work!!  Nice to see the little chatter going on.  How is everyone's training going on?  Staying strong?

My training is going well.  My legs are a little fatigued and I am at 7 miles for long running on the weekend.   I am just adding slowly to it.  My first half marathon for the season is end of March... getting closer

I'm still debating on doing a half the middle of March. Can't wait to here how yours goes. I've been having so much trouble with my legs and back feeling so tight. Last weekend I did a 5 mile run on Saturday morning and went for a 5 mile walk Sunday afternoon, trying to get my mileage in. About half way through, my hands started swelling up so bad I couldn't even bend my fingers. What's up with that?

So, taking it easy this week. Going on vacation Friday through Monday, so don't know how much training I'll actually get in, but I'll give it a try. Going to NYC, so maybe I can get a run in at Central Park.

2009-02-12 5:53 AM
in reply to: #1957858

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
lufferly - 2009-02-11 8:31 PM
crea0029 - 2009-02-11 8:18 PM

I'm still debating on doing a half the middle of March. Can't wait to here how yours goes. I've been having so much trouble with my legs and back feeling so tight. Last weekend I did a 5 mile run on Saturday morning and went for a 5 mile walk Sunday afternoon, trying to get my mileage in. About half way through, my hands started swelling up so bad I couldn't even bend my fingers. What's up with that?

So, taking it easy this week. Going on vacation Friday through Monday, so don't know how much training I'll actually get in, but I'll give it a try. Going to NYC, so maybe I can get a run in at Central Park.

I'm doing a half on March 1st, so my last long run is this weekend.  I'm not feeling very prepared.

My hands and fingers swell sometimes too.  Did the swelling go down after you stopped?  That's what happens with me, fairly soon after the end of the run. 

Enjoy New York, and I hope you do get that Central Park run in.  I've done it, and loved it!

2009-02-12 5:58 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Today I have the courage to set limits and boundaries and stick to them. 

When I put this one in my training log, I had a hard time with it.  I actually look at limits and boundaries as things that get in my way to achieve what I want, not limits and boundaries on what I can achieve.  So I guess it comes down to balance -- work, family and friends, training, and real life.  I try to balance all as best as I can (and probably don't do a perfect job with any of them!).

2009-02-12 8:54 AM
in reply to: #1958273

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX

I'm doing a half on March 1st, so my last long run is this weekend.  I'm not feeling very prepared. :(

My hands and fingers swell sometimes too.  Did the swelling go down after you stopped?  That's what happens with me, fairly soon after the end of the run. 

Enjoy New York, and I hope you do get that Central Park run in.  I've done it, and loved it!

I'm sure you will do great on your half.  Are you worried you won't have as good of a time as you'd hoped for?  After my half in December, I felt pretty good after 2 days but have been having problems off and on with my back which I hadn't had for awhile.  I'm hoping to do my first tri for the season the first week in April (so 6 weeks after the half), and I'm worried I might screw that up.

And, yes, the swelling went down within a few hours after my walk, but fingers literally looked like fat little sausages! I'm sure there is some kind of physiological explanation.

Just checked the weather for NYC for the weekend, and the highs should be in the 40s and sunny, hopefully not too windy.  There was actually a book at the bookstore which had all kinds of walks around NYC, with the mileage and attractions listed.  I almost bought it but just didn't think I could get my husband very excited about that.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Edited by lufferly 2009-02-12 8:55 AM
2009-02-12 10:26 AM

Regular
good morning everyone.  well the last few weeks have been eventful to say the least. my training is in the toilet. the traithlon i was planning for may not even be happening. a major sponsor has pulled out. my anxiety level maxed out.  any way   life happens. i am currently re thinking my strategy for the coming months. the computer dying didn't help.  i will be on vacation till the 23 in arizona so will get back on track then i guess. in the mean time i am just trying to stay active and not beat myself up.  take care all cath
2009-02-12 2:33 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Swelling of both the fingers and feet is a very common thing.  it happens to me all the time.  But I know now why it happens.  It is actually the combination of lack of water intake and a sodium imbalance.  I know mine gets better when I drink more water and take in some salt, but the key is balancing water consumption.  That is why with longer races a salt consumption is recommended either through liquid or salt tablets.  I am still working on bringing those into my diet.
2009-02-13 1:35 AM
in reply to: #1958730

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

cathcan - 2009-02-12 9:26 AM good morning everyone.  well the last few weeks have been eventful to say the least. my training is in the toilet. the traithlon i was planning for may not even be happening. a major sponsor has pulled out. my anxiety level maxed out.  any way   life happens. i am currently re thinking my strategy for the coming months. the computer dying didn't help.  i will be on vacation till the 23 in arizona so will get back on track then i guess. in the mean time i am just trying to stay active and not beat myself up.  take care all cath

Where will you be in Arizona???  I live in AZ...  if it is near by we can cross paths... Emerson

2009-02-13 1:36 AM
in reply to: #1960138

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
Just got back after a way too full week in Cincinnati.  I am off to bed, will be back on line in the AM... Emerson
2009-02-13 7:56 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Today I have the courage to say "yes" only when I really mean it. 

This is important.  If you are training for a big race, or just getting started, or somewhere in between, the dedication required to achieve these goals is tremendous.  I try not to get sidetracked and stick to the plan.  For example, I'm running a half marathon in two weeks so this is the last weekend that I can really get a long run in.  However, my track club is putting on an 8K race tomorrow.  I was getting pressured a bit to run it, but it just doesn't make sense to race that distance and fit a long run in.  So my solution is to volunteer at the race and do my long run on Sunday.

2009-02-13 1:32 PM
in reply to: #1960138

Regular
near loughlin we are flying into vegas and driving to needles.
2009-02-15 7:25 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Yesterday was a crazy day, so I never got on with our daily inspiration (sorry!).  I volunteered at a local race in the pouring rain, and felt so bad for those runners.  I worked the finish line so I got to see exactly how drenched everyone was.  By the time I got home the heavy rain was done, so I went out for a bike ride.  Then we went to my Mom's house to set up her DSL -- how's that for a romantic Valentine's Day celebration?

So back to trying to get us all in the right frame of mind.  Today's inspiration is:

Today I have the courage to have realistic expectations.

I hit this topic on my training log a few days ago, and took the day to really be realistic about my HIM goal.  I'm not ready to talk about my time expectation, but it's really slow.  Since this will be my first HIM, maybe a better goal might be to just finish?  But I can't really look at it that way.  I'm all about competition, so instead I did the math, added some breakdown time, and came up with a goal.

2009-02-15 9:15 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
I decided today was the day to put up or shut up, so I just registered for the Gulf Coast Half Ironman on May 9th.  So now I'm committed -- or maybe I should be committed?

2009-02-15 11:15 AM
in reply to: #1962977

Veteran

Way to register for the race Cheri. I find often that is the hardest part- actually registering and henceforth making the committment.  

I'n currently training for Around the Bay- a 30 km tough/hilly course- on Mar 29.  We do not have any hills here where I live- so any hill trng has to be done in the treadmill- which - hmmm- I am not very fond of. Trying to learn to love it- but.... Anyway- the race itself is not a high priorty- so I'm looking it as a "training" race- I'm hoping to be able to run the half marathon distance with the hills- and the rest-well if I have to walk I have to walk!! I'm trying not to be stressed out about it- ( now saying that come closer I know I will be!!)- but- just trying to look at right now as a fun weekeng away with my girls!!

Have a great week gang!! 

-Helen  

2009-02-15 1:53 PM
in reply to: #1962977

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

Sledge - 2009-02-15 8:15 AM I decided today was the day to put up or shut up, so I just registered for the Gulf Coast Half Ironman on May 9th.  So now I'm committed -- or maybe I should be committed?

You are my hero!!!!!!!!!  What a great goal!!! We are all with you!

2009-02-16 9:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Well...how the heck is everyone!? I'm soooooo glad to be back, and I promise to not leave you again.

I feel today is the start of the rest of my life! I finally feel good, and I have even thought about training, racing and feeling a sense of happiness that I haven't felt in two months.
My doctor said I have had an undetected virus which had made me very ill...ok! I'm not dwelling on my past I'm forging ahead to my future, and I'm soooooooooo "happy!" Oh, and did I say "I FEEL GOOD!"...ha cause I do! yay!

Thank you so much to Cheri, Lisa, Helen, Kathryn and Cath for the extra unconditional encouragement that helped me so much on the really bad days!!!!! You will never know what it meant to me.
Also, thanks to all the stopped by to check in on me!!! I hope I can pay you all back with the encouragement and friendship that I have felt from you.

It is Monday people I hope I can spread my happiness and joy across the maps to each and every one of you.

I'm baaaaaacccckkkkk

Love from Indiana Amy Marie Teresa Neufelder Williams Mutz.... Just call me Amy
2009-02-16 9:51 AM
in reply to: #1962909

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sledge - 2009-02-15 7:25 AM

Yesterday was a crazy day, so I never got on with our daily inspiration (sorry!).  I volunteered at a local race in the pouring rain, and felt so bad for those runners.  I worked the finish line so I got to see exactly how drenched everyone was.  By the time I got home the heavy rain was done, so I went out for a bike ride.  Then we went to my Mom's house to set up her DSL -- how's that for a romantic Valentine's Day celebration?

So back to trying to get us all in the right frame of mind.  Today's inspiration is:

I hit this topic on my training log a few days ago, and took the day to really be realistic about my HIM goal.  I'm not ready to talk about my time expectation, but it's really slow.  Since this will be my first HIM, maybe a better goal might be to just finish?  But I can't really look at it that way.  I'm all about competition, so instead I did the math, added some breakdown time, and came up with a goal.

Cher - That is the HIM that I was considering this year, I won't make it this year, but maybe we could do it together next year. You will do exceptional in this race, and it looks like it would be a very supportive and fun race.... Good for you!
Amy

Oh and I will be seeing you around FB too

Edited by amy mutz 2009-02-16 9:52 AM
2009-02-16 10:27 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Amy, I am so glad you are back.  That smile on your face is just fabulous to see!  Take it easy, slide back into this, and think about realistic goals.  Today's inspiration is for you:

Today I have the courage to take risks and accept change.

Obviously, first and foremost, follow what your doctor says.  But embrace the change that is happening.  Just think, building a base is paramount to what we do.  So now you have such an opportunity, to work on that solid base and build towards a bright future!

2009-02-16 10:28 AM
in reply to: #1964288

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
amy mutz - 2009-02-16 9:51 AM
Sledge - 2009-02-15 7:25 AM

Cher - That is the HIM that I was considering this year, I won't make it this year, but maybe we could do it together next year. You will do exceptional in this race, and it looks like it would be a very supportive and fun race.... Good for you! Amy Oh and I will be seeing you around FB too

Oh no, I can't believe it was the same one!  So yes, next year in Panama City.   And of course I can't wait to see you!

2009-02-17 8:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hello special BT'ers. I hope everyone has a wonderful day today, make the best out of each experience, good-bad-or ugly...

It is sunny here and going to reach about 42, I'm planning a long walk with the dog this afternoon, my run went ok for the first in a couple of months, if it is not raining tomorrow I'm going out to my local tri course and catching a ride on fujianna (my bike.)

Have a great day!
Amy
2009-02-18 5:29 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Sorry I missed yesterday -- I must have had a brain fart!  Today's inspiration is:

Today I have the courage to grow through challenges.

Unless we're at the top of our sport, every race is a challenge.  And getting to that race means challenging yourself.  For me, the biggest (and most helpful!) challenges have been to get to the pool to start my swim training, adding intervals and speed training to my runs, and training for a century bike ride.  But challenges can be smaller things today.  For instance, today I am not motivated to go out for my morning run.  I'm tired -- I ran 12 miles on Monday, and ran 3 miles twice yesterday.  But I'm compromising and I'm going to do a nice, easy paced run today.  Then we'll see how the rest of the day goes!

2009-02-18 7:10 PM
in reply to: #1967853

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Sledge - 2009-02-18 5:29 AM

Sorry I missed yesterday -- I must have had a brain fart!  Today's inspiration is:

Today I have the courage to grow through challenges.

Unless we're at the top of our sport, every race is a challenge.  And getting to that race means challenging yourself.  For me, the biggest (and most helpful!) challenges have been to get to the pool to start my swim training, adding intervals and speed training to my runs, and training for a century bike ride.  But challenges can be smaller things today.  For instance, today I am not motivated to go out for my morning run.  I'm tired -- I ran 12 miles on Monday, and ran 3 miles twice yesterday.  But I'm compromising and I'm going to do a nice, easy paced run today.  Then we'll see how the rest of the day goes!

Ah yes... challenges are certainly the name of the game here.  Seems like our group is facing all kinds of challenges from work, health, personal, and training.  I hope everyone is hanging in there.  I know I am certainly trying.  Keep up the good work everyone!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » crea0029/etknowles's group - CLOSED for now Rss Feed  

of 18