Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2009-06-22 9:59 PM
in reply to: #1861022

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
Subject: RE: FancyPants Group- CLOSED

Matt, I thought long and hard about PDR.  That was my first choice and then I found one a little closer to home.  PDR is supposed to be great.  There was a lot of positive feedback on runnersworld.  Are you following a plan?  This is my first HM. I have done a full but the full was my first race ever.  Now I am working backwards.  I did my 1st 10k in November and have yet to do a 5k (tri's excluded).  I am going to sign up for the 10 mile CRIM in August and possibly a 5 mile trail run.  I am all over the place but my A race that I will be training for is the HM. 

Ginny, I signed up.  We are in!  I am so excited.  My daughter said if she doesn't do the du she will come cheer for me and you, maybe, if it fits in her schedule.  She seemed very sincere.  No backing out now, young lady!  You will rock this tri stuff and Ann and I get to be there as you become a triathlete.  YEAH!

Edited by jogo 2009-06-22 10:00 PM

2009-06-23 5:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
I Am So EXCITED!!!!!!!!

I'm putting it officially on the calendar. I just got an email update from Elite Endeavors this morning, and as I was reading through it, I thought two things- 1, how happy I was that registration was still open for the women's tri,and 2, that I hoped you guys decided to do it.

They do a rookie clinic the night before during packet pick-up. I recommend it, Ginny, just so you can see other people are just as nervous...and Jo and I will be here to help you answer questions. I'd tell you to borrow my bike, Ginny, but both of the bikes I have used are men's bikes and made for a 6 foot tall person. I'm just guessing you aren't a giraffe like me?

Woo Hoo! We have OWS tonight so I will tell my pals that you guys are in.

Matt, congrats on the race! Clue me in, what is PDR? I'm not a runner- I would much rather swim any day- but I do miss it. Not enough to ever do a half marathon. Jo, your first race was a full marathon?!!!
2009-06-23 5:40 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Ginny, How tall are you and what size shoes do you wear (yes, I'm getting personal)?  I have extra bikes and shoes.  I could switch out the pedals.  I also have a 2 bike trailer rack so I could bring one with me for you.  We could work together a little the day before on getting you set up and making adjustments.  I am SO excited.  I can't wait to meet you two. 

2009-06-23 7:21 AM
in reply to: #2236047

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
AKR18 - 2009-06-23 5:07 AM
Matt, congrats on the race! Clue me in, what is PDR?

Philly Distance Run.  A 1/2 marathon run every September in Philly.  This is NOT the Philly 1/2 marathon.  They run that in November (I think).
2009-06-23 8:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
Matt sounds like a  great race!  You did a good job.  Can't wait to hear how your 1/2 marthon goes.  I have to ask what is the RWTF you refered to that mentioned not to use your legs much during the swim?

Still can't believe I signed up for this tri, but I am very excited and definitely can't wait.  I'm taking my old 10 speed in today to see if they can get it working for me.  Jo, I'm 5'6" and have huge feet.  I usually wear a size 9 but my running shoes are size 10.  Would be awesome if you had a bike I could borrow, I do have a bike "transporter" but it always seems to come unooked around the bottom when I'm driving.  I've never had an issue with the bike falling off or anything, but I am nervous about going very far.  If you don't I'll figure out something, probalby if I had DBF hook it and pull it tighter than I'm able to it would be fine.    My 19 year old is not coming.  She says she does not bike and is not interested at all.  Doesn't want to come even to support mom, she's got her own stuff going on.  I'll definitely bring some wine too.

Anne, I know you said we can stay at your house, but can you recommend a cheap but clean hotel in the area?  I don't want to intrude on you and I know I'll sleep better if I get a hotel.  I do want to come up for the rookie meeting etc. too 

Edited by scubagrrl 2009-06-23 8:59 AM
2009-06-23 9:27 AM
in reply to: #2236374

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
RWTF = runners world triathlon forum.  It's the other tri site that I waste time on!

2009-06-23 11:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
Thanks!  I've been on Runner's World, but never found their triathlon forum.  I'm going to have to do some more digging   Another place to waste my time thanks!
2009-06-24 6:22 AM
in reply to: #2236374

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

scubagrrl - 2009-06-23 9:39 AM

Still can't believe I signed up for this tri, but I am very excited and definitely can't wait.  I'm taking my old 10 speed in today to see if they can get it working for me.  Jo, I'm 5'6" and have huge feet.  I usually wear a size 9 but my running shoes are size 10. 

How comfortable are you on a bike?  Have you ever clipped in to pedals?  Have you ridden an aero bike before?  I have a bike stable so I am asking these questions to choose which one to bring you.  I can probably cover you on the bike depending on your answers. 

Let me know if you decide to stay at a hotel. 

This is going to be fun!  I am so excited!

I am not excited for this weekend's tri.  Should I do it?  I sure am struggling with this decision.  I hate to waste money but I really am not sure I want to do this.  Plus with the 90 degree weather, I am not sure it will be wet-suit legal.  It is an 800m swim and I have never done a tri without a wetsuit.  I am nervous about drowning in the mosh pit that starts the swim.  I could do the sylvannia-that is in a quarry and shorter but this is an inland lake.  My swimming has fallen apart lately.  I suppose I could change to do the du.  I wonder if they'd let me. 

2009-06-24 7:31 AM
in reply to: #2238803

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
jogo - 2009-06-24 7:22 AM

scubagrrl - 2009-06-23 9:39 AM

Still can't believe I signed up for this tri, but I am very excited and definitely can't wait.  I'm taking my old 10 speed in today to see if they can get it working for me.  Jo, I'm 5'6" and have huge feet.  I usually wear a size 9 but my running shoes are size 10. 

How comfortable are you on a bike?  Have you ever clipped in to pedals?  Have you ridden an aero bike before?  I have a bike stable so I am asking these questions to choose which one to bring you.  I can probably cover you on the bike depending on your answers. 

Let me know if you decide to stay at a hotel. 

This is going to be fun!  I am so excited!

I am not excited for this weekend's tri.  Should I do it?  I sure am struggling with this decision.  I hate to waste money but I really am not sure I want to do this.  Plus with the 90 degree weather, I am not sure it will be wet-suit legal.  It is an 800m swim and I have never done a tri without a wetsuit.  I am nervous about drowning in the mosh pit that starts the swim.  I could do the sylvannia-that is in a quarry and shorter but this is an inland lake.  My swimming has fallen apart lately.  I suppose I could change to do the du.  I wonder if they'd let me. 

I'm fairly comfortable on a bike, but no I have never used clip in pedals and I also have never used an aerobar.  I'm mostly the hybrid/mountain bike user that rides on paved paths on a weekend and brings along a picnic lunch (with wine of course) and meanders along.  But I have no problem kicking it into low gear and pedalling up the hills or racing someone.  And I'm also not afraid of new things.  If we met on Saturday and I had time to learn how to clip in and out etc.  (I'm assuming it's not that difficult?)  I think I would be ok to do it on Sunday. 

I know how you feel about not being prepared for a race.   (Gee I don't think I'm prepared at all for this coming one.)  I would say if you're not into it don't do it, although I'm very efficient with my money (also know as CHEAP) so I wouldn't want to lose the money and probably would do it anyhow.  Any chance they'll let you move the race to next year or something?  Or just doing the DU would be good also.  Good luck with whatever you decide.  Keep us posted.

2009-06-24 5:47 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

I talked to the RD and I am going to do the duathlon instead of the tri.  My running has been okay and I know I'm good on the bike. The swim is my weak link and I feel least trained for that.  I am guessing it won't be wetsuit legal and it is a mosh-pit start so I am valuing my life and don't want to drown.

The sylvannia women's tri is a time trial start and only 400 so I am okay with that. 

Edited by jogo 2009-06-24 5:49 PM
2009-06-25 6:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Ginny, I'll get on the hotels today. I totally understand about sleeping better at a hotel- no worries. I'm still planning on a pre-race dinner here, and you can enjoy your wine on the back deck and stare at the pond/mini-lake in our backyard. Most of our hotels are an exit south of my exit, at Airport Highway.

Jo, switching to the du sounds best. 800 is a long swim, for a sprint, especially if you are not quite ready. They aren't letting anyone wear wetsuits for our OWS, saying it's too hot, the water is too hot, so I am guessing it will be the same at She Rocks. I'm hoping it is still a good race for you- let me know how it goes (in terms of whether or not you would recommend it to other racers). Already planning out races for next year!

2009-06-25 7:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
Good luck with the Du, Jo.  Sounds like a good decision. 

Thanks Anne, let me know about the hotel.  I'm all up for dinner etc also.  I'll definitely bring some wine and we can relax and enjoy ourselves.  Let me know what else I can bring to contribute. 

Going to get out on the bike for a long ride again this weekend and hoping to at least make it for a few OWS's in the next week.   I was going to try swimming in my 3 mil wetsuit that I have for diving.  Not sure how well comfortable it will be actually moving the arms etc.  But are you thinking that we may not be able to wear a wetsuit anyhow at Sylvania?  No reason to even test it out if we can't.  

I'm really psyched about doing this tri, I'm so glad I signed up.  Thanks girls for not giving up on me. 

Edited by scubagrrl 2009-06-25 7:20 AM
2009-06-25 7:10 PM
in reply to: #2241761

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Last year there were no wetsuits allowed, and racers were threatened with an immediate DQ for wearing one. Plus, seriously, you don't need it. The swim is EXTREMELY short, 400yards, and the water will be warm, as will the air temp.

I will probably PM you in the next few days with hotel info. Today got away from me and I still have to get kids in bed...
2009-06-26 6:32 AM
in reply to: #2243821

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

AKR18 - 2009-06-25 8:10 PM Last year there were no wetsuits allowed, and racers were threatened with an immediate DQ for wearing one. Plus, seriously, you don't need it. The swim is EXTREMELY short, 400yards, and the water will be warm, as will the air temp. I will probably PM you in the next few days with hotel info. Today got away from me and I still have to get kids in bed...

Ann, I'm good without a wetsuit for the July race.  I can do the short swim no problem.  I am not good without a wetsuit for Sunday's race and it sounds like the water will be too warm anyway.  I made a good choice.

My coworker is also doing this.  She booked a hotel room but she said everything is full near the race.  She had to go quite a ways away to find one that wasn't booked.   

2009-06-26 7:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
I'm ok with not wearing a wet suit also.  I just figured if I could, I would.  Although my wetsuits are diving wetsuits and I don't know how well I'd be able to swim in them anyhow.  (In scuba diving you don't really use your arms much)  That's one less thing I've got to test out before hand.

So I'm thinking 1 piece bathing suit and I have what I call bike shorts.  Lycra shorts, tight, but no padding in them.  Figure that would work for swimming and then no changing for going onto the bike.  Going to get out and try an OWS in those and then see how I feel running afterwards as far as chaffing, with being wet etc.  I've never bought body glide, but this may be a time that I'll wish I had some.  Hope to get some testing in over the weekend.  If the tight shorts with the bathing suit cause an issue, I could just swim in sports bra and those shorts, but I'm really self conscience of showing off my stomach.  Hoping the one piece will work comfortably.

I did some searching online at hotels.  I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly where the quarry is, since I couldn't find an address.  Makes the map questing difficult.  But is Holland close by?  I found a few hotels there and I think it's maybe only a 4 or 5 mile drive? 

2009-06-26 10:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Zip for the race: 43560. It is literally just up the road from my house. I have two rooms open, so if you guys can not find hotels, you can bunk here and have the shortest drive to the race.

HOTEL INFO:
1- Wingate by Wyndham- Sylvania- this is in downtown Sylvania, and honestly, equal drive to the race as the ones in Holland. 866-573-4235.

2- Red Roof Inn- 866-678-6350 About 6 miles from me in Holland, OH (suburb, close to Toledo University and the airport, as all of thes next ones are)

3- Comfort Inn Toledo - 866-767-0278

4- Courtyard By Marriot- 866-538-0251

those are just a small few. I just went to Hotels.com and plugged in my zip code- 43560.

Again, I have two rooms: One with a very nice, new, comfy twin mattress, and one with a full. The only room we can't offer is the toddler's room.

This race is usually full, but I can not imagine all of the hotels in Holland (airport highway) are booked for Saturday night, unless something else major is going on that weekend.

2009-06-28 3:35 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Thanks, I'll check into the hotels. 

My she-rocks race report (sort of) is here: 

http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/index.jsp?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aRunner+CommunitiesForum%3a608106477Discussion%3a9b582764-12f7-4cdc-809d-efbb6d85a5d3

2009-06-29 7:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
Oh Jo, I hope your calf heels up quickly.  Sounds like you had a good time volunteering though.  Glad to hear it. 
2009-06-29 8:55 AM
in reply to: #2249506

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

scubagrrl - 2009-06-29 8:39 AM Oh Jo, I hope your calf heels up quickly.  Sounds like you had a good time volunteering though.  Glad to hear it. 

Honestly and I know I can be honest with you and Ann, it SUCKS!!!!!!  I was so ready to do the du and so excited.  Something clicked in my brain with my biking when I did the 60 mile ride and all of a sudden I am much faster.  I really wanted to set a new PR for myself in biking and was very confident I could do that. 

I was also excited because I wasn't doing the same event as my neighbor so we weren't competing.  She has really taken off with her training and she is very focused on speed and racing.  Me, not so much.

My HM plan starts with a run tomorrow and I don't know if I'll be able to do it.  The HM is in 12 weeks.    

Edited by jogo 2009-06-29 8:56 AM
2009-06-29 11:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
Hugs sweety, I know exactly how you feel.  I was extremely depressed after my HM and the issue with my calf.  It does get better.   

Edited by scubagrrl 2009-06-29 11:24 AM
2009-06-30 5:43 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

See my blog entry from today.  I may be out for the tri in July. 

2009-07-01 7:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
Oh Jo I am sooo sorry to hear that.  The gastronemius is exactly what I pulled also.  I know how you feel, I felt so sorry for myself.  Was even feeling like I didn't belong here and should just stop posting and not even talk about racing ever again etc.  I can give you some hope, I'm just over 4 weeks out from my initial visit to the doctor and I am back running.  He let me start trying again at 2 weeks.  (But it was 2 weeks from my initial injury)  I am taking it very slow (seems fast running is what stresses my leg more)  Doing the stretches PT gave me etc. 

I know how easy it is to turn to food for comfort.  I tend to do that even when I'm not depressed.  I know you're very stressed with the wedding and this is not the time to not be able to run.  (when is the wedding?  Just a few weeks right?)  At least he has said you can bike.  I couldnt' do that for a few weeks either.  Get out there and do lots of bike rides in place of your morning run. 

Whatever you decide on the tri is fine.  I am definitely in and I'm still trying to convince a friend to come also.  Even if I have to come alone, I'm going to be there.  Having this to work towards has given me a renewed lift.  I'm just worrying more about figuring out what I'm doing and where I'm going instead of worrying about pushing myself to run fast. (Not that I'm ever that fast, just fast for me

Hugs to you.  It does get better.  You're an inspiration to me.
2009-07-02 6:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
OUCH, Jo!

Injuries suck. Last summer was Mike's injury summer. And yes, he did get depressed about it. He was training for his first HIM and I swear it was just one bad thing after another. Plantar Fasciatis, then a shoulder injury, then the IT band. It was awful. But, he got through it, got smarter about his training and stretching and preventing the injuries, and has had a great season this year....so there is hope/light at the end of the tunnel.

The swimming (know you hate it), yoga, and biking can still help you with stress relief. I would love to be able to go out on my bike. Supposedly I can, but now Mike is insisting i get a tune up before I take it out, and that just seems so silly to me.

If you can not do the women's tri (and, girl, it sounds like you are out) then you are always welcome to just come down for the race! I'll be out on the course and you can cheer on our girl Ginny!

My kids are keeping me busy right now- sorry for the lack of posting and checking logs. It's crazy. The 7 year old has camps every other week, and this week our weather has been cool and dry so we have hit the zoo and played outside lots. When we are in the house the 7 year old monopolizes the computer for her I Spy games.
2009-07-02 12:07 PM
in reply to: #2257540

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Ann, I will do the tri even if I have to walk the run.  I am not opposed to walking.  I don't care about my time.  It would be fun to be out there.  You guys are stuck with the cripple.

I am hoping that I will get an okay to run in 2 weeks.  Everyone has been super supportive.  One of my BT buddies suggested water running.  I might try that to keep in shape.  No impact. 

2009-07-05 8:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Jo, your running endurance will be there when you are healed. Give it the proper time, do your stretches, follow instructions so you can get back to running when you are healed and do not re-injure yourself. I know you miss it, but you can use your yoga class, swim time, and bike time to relieve the stress of the upcoming wedding...

I had a great week, fitting in lots of walks and one OWS. No the walks are NOT the same as running, but my center of gravity is shifting rapidly, and I'm at the point right now where I have a lot of muscle pain. Pain in my calves from walking differently, and pain in my upper abdomen as things move up and out of the way of the giant baby. Eating my weight in potato salad is not helping either. I told Mike this is it, I have to get out on my bike this weekend and at least ride it around the neighborhood just to say I rode it once this weekend, because I am growing in leaps and bounds and will start falling over soon from the huge load on my front.

I'm heading up to Michigan tomorrow with the kids, a quick four day vacay so I can do some OWS, take Abs out in the canoe, and escape our allergies for a bit. Will be back Thursday and will check in with everyone then.

Ginny, keep up the good work with the Masters Class. Sounds like you really enjoy it!

Jo, heal. I mean it. And I hope your yoga teacher is back for good. And, if you get the sub again, surround yourself with a bubble of peace and do not let the evil sub in your bubble.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FancyPants Group- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23