BT Development Mentor Program Archives » grandhavenbill's group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2009-04-30 6:54 AM
in reply to: #2115531

Subject: RE: grandhavenbill's group - FULL
Great Job!! Thanks alot for the pics (that goes for everyone). Being able to put faces ytih you all makes things more real and improves my commitment and excitement.

Thanks again...
Chris

2009-04-30 5:11 PM
in reply to: #2120143

User image

Champion
marietta
CMicha - 2009-04-30 6:54 AM Great Job!! Thanks alot for the pics (that goes for everyone). Being able to put faces ytih you all makes things more real and improves my commitment and excitement.

Thanks again...
Chris

So where is yours!   Surprised
2009-04-30 9:36 PM
in reply to: #1864965

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
Your turn Chris. Our group is almost dead. Maybe a photo or two will pump some life back in!
How's your training going? When is your first outdoor race?
2009-04-30 9:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
And how about you Jean-Marie? you still out there? I see your getting your training in. Keep it up. Any news on a new bike?
Let's go everybody. It's tri season!

Here's my schedule:

May 9 - 5/3 River Bank Run (25kR
May 16 - Let's make a tri (BT people in Detroit. See link here)
June 6 – Lake Macatawa Tri (Sprint)
June 20 - Johan's Tri Fest (Oly)
July 12 - Grand Haven Tri (Oly)
July 18 - Tri De Sol (Sprint)
August 1 - Steelhead (HIM) R
September 13 - IM MOO Volunteer & Register for 2010

How about yours?
2009-05-03 6:44 AM
in reply to: #2122600

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hey Gang,

Finally back "in country" and getting back into the swing.  Still suffering from jet lag and have had a housefull of family over the past couple of days.  Managed to squeeze in 40 mile ride yesterday morning.  Legs felt like cement, but it was nice to get back outside in some clean air!

My schedule for the summer is somewhat up in the air depending on how my shoulder reacts to my first tri (Lake Mac) and how long it takes me to recover from the 24 hour bike race.  I'm gonna bail on the Riverbank Run, I'm just not recovered as well as I'd hoped from the mary in early April.....So here's my tentative plan:

June 13 - Lake Macatawa Tri (tweener)
June 20/21 - National 24 Hour Bike Challenge
July 18 - Tri Del Sol (tweener)
Aug 22 - Three Rivers Tri (oly)
Sept. 5 - Niles Triathlon (oly)
Sept. 19 - North Country Trail Ultra
Late Oct - Grand Rapids Marathon??
Late Nov - Shanghai Marathon??
So how is the HIM training coming guys?  Volume is starting to ramp up with some more intense efforts, still feeling OK and recovering well??
My legs are still REALLY tapped from my marathon.  Probably didn't take enough down time immediately after the race but needed to do something while I was in China and didn't have access to anything but a crummy stationary bike in the hotel fitness center....I'll be focusing on the swim/bike over the next couple of weeks.
2009-05-03 12:07 PM
in reply to: #2126253

User image

Champion
marietta
grandhavenbill - 2009-05-03 6:44 AM

Hey Gang,

Finally back "in country" and getting back into the swing.  Still suffering from jet lag and have had a housefull of family over the past couple of days.  Managed to squeeze in 40 mile ride yesterday morning.  Legs felt like cement, but it was nice to get back outside in some clean air!

My schedule for the summer is somewhat up in the air depending on how my shoulder reacts to my first tri (Lake Mac) and how long it takes me to recover from the 24 hour bike race.  I'm gonna bail on the Riverbank Run, I'm just not recovered as well as I'd hoped from the mary in early April.....So here's my tentative plan:

June 13 - Lake Macatawa Tri (tweener)
June 20/21 - National 24 Hour Bike Challenge
July 18 - Tri Del Sol (tweener)
Aug 22 - Three Rivers Tri (oly)
Sept. 5 - Niles Triathlon (oly)
Sept. 19 - North Country Trail Ultra
Late Oct - Grand Rapids Marathon??
Late Nov - Shanghai Marathon??
So how is the HIM training coming guys?  Volume is starting to ramp up with some more intense efforts, still feeling OK and recovering well??
My legs are still REALLY tapped from my marathon.  Probably didn't take enough down time immediately after the race but needed to do something while I was in China and didn't have access to anything but a crummy stationary bike in the hotel fitness center....I'll be focusing on the swim/bike over the next couple of weeks.

Glad you are home safe Bill.  That would be cool!  I don't know why I thought you did IMKY. 

May 19th   Silverlake Triathlon (Sprint)
June 7th Tejas Triathlon (Sprint)
June 28 Buffalo Springs 70.3
August 9th Bridgelands Triathlon (Sprint & about 10 minutes from the house)
January 17th Houston Marathon.  I put this on here because after Bridgelands, my focus will be 100% Houston marathon.  Houston will be my first gauge of what my goal should be for Berlin in 2010....which I really. really. really want to BQ at.  But I realize that 3:15 is a LONG shot.
Definitely some 5 &10k's mixed in.  Maybe a 1/2 in San Antonio this fall. 

2009-05-04 11:27 AM
in reply to: #2126534

User image

Extreme Veteran

January 17th Houston Marathon.  I put this on here because after Bridgelands, my focus will be 100% Houston marathon.  Houston will be my first gauge of what my goal should be for Berlin in 2010....which I really. really. really want to BQ at.  But I realize that 3:15 is a LONG shot.

John,

Didn't realize your 1/2 was coming up so quickly.  Are you getting a good handle on nutrition/hydration?  Be sure and give both good tests in the HOT weather.  What works during cooler temps doesn't always set well when it is farging hot and humid......

Plenty to focus on between now and then, but I have some thoughts for you on your mary training based on what I've learned (mostly the hard way.....).  More on that later.

2009-05-04 11:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
Glad to have you back Bill. Sorry you won't be at 53. I'm starting to get nervous / really excited about running. Running 15 miles with 4,500 of my closest friends sounds like hell / fun. Well see....
Regisering for IM Moo volunteer spots today. I'll let you know which post I get.
2009-05-04 11:31 AM
in reply to: #2126253

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
grandhavenbill - 2009-05-03 7:44 AM

going pretty well here. I had a sick week two weeks ago, so I had a little trouble this week getting back into it. Now I've got a recovery week. That works out well since the 25k is this week. don't want to push too hard prior to the race.
Next weekend I'm doing a made up tri that a bunch of east side BT'ers put together. Sounds like it will be a lot of fun.
You should think about joining us Bill.
2009-05-04 11:44 AM
in reply to: #2128550

User image

Extreme Veteran

Next weekend I'm doing a made up tri that a bunch of east side BT'ers put together. Sounds like it will be a lot of fun.
You should think about joining us Bill.

Would love to, but I'm head for Tulsa that weekend for a nephew's high school graduation party.  Will have plenty of spare time so I'm taking the bike along!

2009-05-04 9:45 PM
in reply to: #2128531

User image

Champion
marietta
grandhavenbill - 2009-05-04 11:27 AM

John,

Didn't realize your 1/2 was coming up so quickly.  Are you getting a good handle on nutrition/hydration?  Be sure and give both good tests in the HOT weather.  What works during cooler temps doesn't always set well when it is farging hot and humid......

Plenty to focus on between now and then, but I have some thoughts for you on your mary training based on what I've learned (mostly the hard way.....).  More on that later.

what is this "cooler temps" thing you speak of?  10 miler tomorrow only time i can run is at 2pm.  Standby for a report!

Partly Cloudy
High
88°F

Precip
20%

Wind:SSE 14 mph
Max. Humidity:70%
UV Index:10 Very High

Sunrise:6:36 AM CT
Avg. High:83°F
Record High:94°F (1951)

2009-05-05 8:25 AM
in reply to: #2130231

User image

Extreme Veteran

88 degrees and 70% humidity?!?!?!?   Dude, that is August weather for us!  I'd melt if I tried to go in those conditions right now.....

2009-05-06 11:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
Hi Bill,
I'm hoping for some nutrition suggestions for 53rd on Saturday. From what I can tell, there will be goo at 3 places. Once before, and twice on course. there will also be orange slices at half way and beyond. I have no problems digesting anything, and am not at all worried about any kind of food not agreeing with me. That said, any recomendations for breakfast?
My 5k routine is usually something small early in the am, like a granolla bar, and a bananna about 30 minutes before start. What are your thoughts?
2009-05-07 9:16 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
AHHHH  I didn't think about the e-lytes.  Thanks Bill!  

This comment is in regards to an inspire Bill sent.  I was thinking about putting all H2O in the bottles instead of Gatorade on my belt for long runs.  Bill wrote...   "Be careful with water only in conditions like that, e-lyte levels can get messed up in a hurry....I'd suggest a 50/50 mix of sports drink and H20."

I know you guys aren't  running in 90+ yet like down here but thought I'd post so you don't make the same mistake I did or almost did.

2009-05-07 8:14 PM
in reply to: #2134080

User image

Extreme Veteran

sigepbrad - 2009-05-06 12:36 PM Hi Bill,
I'm hoping for some nutrition suggestions for 53rd on Saturday. From what I can tell, there will be goo at 3 places. Once before, and twice on course. there will also be orange slices at half way and beyond. I have no problems digesting anything, and am not at all worried about any kind of food not agreeing with me. That said, any recomendations for breakfast?
My 5k routine is usually something small early in the am, like a granolla bar, and a bananna about 30 minutes before start. What are your thoughts?

Brad,

A couple of thoughts:

1) You definitely need to go into this distance well fueld.  However, nothing new on race day!  Go with what you know works from training and previous races.  Did you do any of your long runs in the morning? 

2) YMMV, but a heavy carb dinner the night before a race does NOT work for me.  Seems to just lay in my gut like a brick and make me feel real heavy/bloated during the race.  I prefer a light dinner with a lean protein (chicken, fish, etc.) with a high glycemic index carb (potato, rice, etc.)

3) Unless you like all of the flavors, I would carry my own "emergency" gels.  Seems like they always seem to hand me something nasty like banana or orange.  Yuck!

4) Don't ever pass a water station without drinking something, even if you aren't thirsty.  I'd recommend alternating between water and Gatorade (or whatever they are serving).

Hope this helps.  Let me know if you have additional questions.  Have a GREAT race!!

2009-05-07 8:18 PM
in reply to: #2136107

User image

Extreme Veteran

fattyfatfat - 2009-05-07 10:16 AM AHHHH  I didn't think about the e-lytes.  Thanks Bill!  

This comment is in regards to an inspire Bill sent.  I was thinking about putting all H2O in the bottles instead of Gatorade on my belt for long runs.  Bill wrote...   "Be careful with water only in conditions like that, e-lyte levels can get messed up in a hurry....I'd suggest a 50/50 mix of sports drink and H20."

I know you guys aren't  running in 90+ yet like down here but thought I'd post so you don't make the same mistake I did or almost did.

Hey John,

Just to clarify, by 50/50 I meant alternating between water and your sports drink (i.e. one bottle with water and one with sports drink), NOT diluting your sports drink.  The recommended concentration provides for optimum absorption/digestion.

2009-05-08 9:21 AM
in reply to: #2137712

User image

Champion
marietta
grandhavenbill - 2009-05-07 8:18 PM

fattyfatfat - 2009-05-07 10:16 AM AHHHH  I didn't think about the e-lytes.  Thanks Bill!  

Hey John,

Just to clarify, by 50/50 I meant alternating between water and your sports drink (i.e. one bottle with water and one with sports drink), NOT diluting your sports drink.  The recommended concentration provides for optimum absorption/digestion.

gotcha. thanks
2009-05-08 11:21 AM
in reply to: #2137701

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
grandhavenbill - 2009-05-07 9:14 PM

sigepbrad - 2009-05-06 12:36 PM Hi Bill,

Brad,

A couple of thoughts:

1) You definitely need to go into this distance well fueld.  However, nothing new on race day!  Go with what you know works from training and previous races.  Did you do any of your long runs in the morning? 

2) YMMV, but a heavy carb dinner the night before a race does NOT work for me.  Seems to just lay in my gut like a brick and make me feel real heavy/bloated during the race.  I prefer a light dinner with a lean protein (chicken, fish, etc.) with a high glycemic index carb (potato, rice, etc.)

3) Unless you like all of the flavors, I would carry my own "emergency" gels.  Seems like they always seem to hand me something nasty like banana or orange.  Yuck!

4) Don't ever pass a water station without drinking something, even if you aren't thirsty.  I'd recommend alternating between water and Gatorade (or whatever they are serving).

Hope this helps.  Let me know if you have additional questions.  Have a GREAT race!!

Thanks guys, I like it. fish and rice/potatoes sounds great. I love deep fried Long John SilverWink Actually, I've got some salmon in the freezer from this fall, will go great with rice.

Unfortunatly, none of my long runs were in the AM. Note to self, that was poor planning. So far, different goo flavors haven't bothered me, I know I like strawberry, which is what they have. Besides, this is the 25k open championship. If I'm going to keep up with the Kenyens, I can't be carrying any extra weight!
The not passing up water and gatoraide on the aid stations, that will probably be the hard one. I know I don't drink enough to begin with, the excitment of the race will probably make it worse. Good advice, I'll just force myself to do it.

I rode the course on my bike last night. They changed the course because of flooding, and it is substantially more hilly now. There is one beyotch of a hill about 3 miles in. Not looking forwad to that one. Other than that, if I can keep the IT band problems at bay until miles 10 or 11, I'm confident I can manage with a respectable time. If they start flarin up around 5 or 6 miles, I'm in for a rough one.
I'd like to finish in 8:15 to 8:30 pace, but anything under 9:00 I think I'd be happy. We'll see, I may have my tail between my legs on Monday reporting a 10:00 or 11:00 pace. Let's hope not!

2009-05-08 1:23 PM
in reply to: #2138844

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks guys, I like it. fish and rice/potatoes sounds great. I love deep fried Long John SilverWink Actually, I've got some salmon in the freezer from this fall, will go great with rice.

Unfortunatly, none of my long runs were in the AM. Note to self, that was poor planning. So far, different goo flavors haven't bothered me, I know I like strawberry, which is what they have. Besides, this is the 25k open championship. If I'm going to keep up with the Kenyens, I can't be carrying any extra weight!
The not passing up water and gatoraide on the aid stations, that will probably be the hard one. I know I don't drink enough to begin with, the excitment of the race will probably make it worse. Good advice, I'll just force myself to do it.

I rode the course on my bike last night. They changed the course because of flooding, and it is substantially more hilly now. There is one beyotch of a hill about 3 miles in. Not looking forwad to that one. Other than that, if I can keep the IT band problems at bay until miles 10 or 11, I'm confident I can manage with a respectable time. If they start flarin up around 5 or 6 miles, I'm in for a rough one.
I'd like to finish in 8:15 to 8:30 pace, but anything under 9:00 I think I'd be happy. We'll see, I may have my tail between my legs on Monday reporting a 10:00 or 11:00 pace. Let's hope not!

Absolutely, be sure and go for the supersize hush puppies too.  You will LOVE them around Mile 12! 

Just remember to run YOUR race.  Easier said than done, but don't go out too hard.   With the adrenaline flowing, and this is a BIG race, it is REAL easy to go out faster than you want/should.  Still kicking myself for doing this in Detroit a few weeks back.....

Regarding your IT band and the hills:  although it may be humbling, consider fast walking the big hills.  As I think you've discovered, hills and aggrevated IT bands DO NOT play nice together......A few extra seconds up/down the hills may very well save you several minutes on your overall time and a lot less pain.  I'm speaking from experience on this one....

Go rock this thing!!

2009-05-09 11:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
Well, I took your advise. Especially your last line "Go rock this thing!"
More details soon, but Finish time was 2:07:05, for a 8:04 pace! I'll take it.
Thanks for all the advice guys. Especially the Don't go out too fast, and drink at every aid station. I felt like a million bucks until the second I crossed the finish line!
2009-05-09 4:02 PM
in reply to: #2140445

User image

Champion
marietta
sigepbrad - 2009-05-09 11:03 AM Well, I took your advise. Especially your last line "Go rock this thing!"
Thanks for all the advice guys. Especially the Don't go out too fast, and drink at every aid station. I felt like a million bucks until the second I crossed the finish line!

Hey slow down there speedy.  Making me look bad.  Great job.  Did you where a pink cap?

2009-05-09 4:44 PM
in reply to: #2140445

User image

Extreme Veteran

sigepbrad - 2009-05-09 12:03 PM Well, I took your advise. Especially your last line "Go rock this thing!"

OUTSTANDING job Brad, way to go!!  Tough course, less than perfect conditions, you kicked azz my friend.

How did the IT bands hold up?  Looking forward to the race report!!

2009-05-09 9:56 PM
in reply to: #2140706

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
fattyfatfat - 2009-05-09 5:02 PM
sigepbrad - 2009-05-09 11:03 AM Well, I took your advise. Especially your last line "Go rock this thing!"

Hey slow down there speedy.  Making me look bad.  Great job.  Did you where a pink cap?

I wish I did. I think I could have broken 2:00:00 if I had it on!
2009-05-09 10:07 PM
in reply to: #2140765

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
grandhavenbill - 2009-05-09 5:44 PM

sigepbrad - 2009-05-09 12:03 PM Well, I took your advise. Especially your last line "Go rock this thing!"

OUTSTANDING job Brad, way to go!!  Tough course, less than perfect conditions, you kicked azz my friend.

How did the IT bands hold up?  Looking forward to the race report!!

Thanks Bill. I appreciate it. Thanks for all the advice too. It helped a lot. I really had to hold myself back the first 2 or 3 miles. The 8:00 pace felt slow because of all the excitement. Had I went out any faster, I know I would have crashed.
IT band on the left side began to yell at me about 6 miles in. I remember thinking, 5hit, this is earlier than I expected. Not sure if I can put up with this for another 9 miles. Usually it gets progressively worse as I go. This time, it never really got any worse. Or more likely, with all the excitement, I didn't really think about it.
Once I crossed the finish line and stopped running, it hurt like hell. But I must say, after a 2 hour car ride and a 3 hour walk through Ikea, I'm in better shape than I expected. I was planning on Jen pushing me through Ikea all day in a weelchair, but I didn't need it.
I'm pretty sure I put down about 5,000 calories today, and I'm going to shut the computer down and go get something to eat.
You guys can't believe how excited I am right now! Wait, yes you can, you've been through this too. Went to Ikea with my parents, In-laws, wife and daughter today. Tried talking all day about the race, but I get the "that's great, were proud of you" blank stare. They are proud, but they don't really get it, nor do they care to hear about it for more than 10 minutes.
Anyway, glad you guys are here to listen to my excitement, ranting, gloating.

John - can't wait to hear about your HIM
Bill - Can't wait to hear about the 24 hour challenge.

Thanks for listening.

Edited by sigepbrad 2009-05-09 10:08 PM
2009-05-10 9:40 AM
in reply to: #2141144

User image

Extreme Veteran

Dude, a 3 hour walk thru Ikea AFTER a 25K??  You ROCK!  (Just putting yourself thru the Ikea visit is painful enough in my book....    )

You put your body thru some trauma yesterday, make sure you take the recovery seriously.  Think about icing that IT band at least twice today.  Also recommend a couple of nice, deep stretching sessions.  A gentle walk or a VERY EASY 20-30 minute spin on the bike (NO effort!!!) will help flush the nasties and jump-start the recovery process.  A good hot epsom salt soak in the jazuzzi tub also works well for me.  Of course, today is Mom's Day so you may have a hard time justifying that one....

Tomorrow, I'd suggest nothing more than a swim and a walk or easy spin.  Bottom line, be sure and listen to your body!!

Yep, know exactly what you mean about the endurance sport "brotherhood".  Not many outside of the community truly get it.....

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » grandhavenbill's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 22