Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2009-06-16 12:40 PM
in reply to: #2220236

User image

Regular
Brazoria County
Subject: RE: Tri/tbay group closed
Olman, I think you are experiencing the same broken weather pattern we are--just dang hot all the time.  I swam 1500yds yesterday afternoon (pool) then was going to run 4 miles outside.  I made it a half mile before I decided 1 mile was going to be good enough, that I would live to fight another day--my guts were sloshing, legs were dead, and it was hotter than a beetch.

Steven, I meant to compliment you on your 5K time--that is a good run anytime, let alone at the start of a du.

I have been dreaming at night of various races, 5K coming up, spring tri against a friend, etc. so must be feeling guilty I missed most of my workouts last week due to vacation or illness...

2009-06-16 9:32 PM
in reply to: #1901752

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND

I sacked out on the couch involuntarily tonite.  Sat down after supper at about 6 to let my food settle before I went to swim and drifted off until 8:15.  Needless to say it was too late to get to the pool or out to the reservoir to do an open water swim.  So, I guess I'll take today off.  My legs are still sore anyway.  Tomorrow night I have a big MTB ride that serves as my hill/interval bike workout.  I'll have to get up and swim in the morning.   

2009-06-17 8:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Steven, don't worry about a missed workout, your body is still talking to you about Sunday. Time spent sleeping is recovery and repair. Your body is thanking you for taking the day off.

Mike Ola' glad you had a good time, but now its time to get busy. As you merge your training plans in the coming weeks, just remember time management is the most effective way to get it done. Plan on paper your workouts, but don't be afraid to change dates and mix it up if it just has to be that way and it will work out better for you. If you can follow the plans at 80% your doing great.

Have a good one.

2009-06-17 9:45 AM
in reply to: #2223662

User image

Regular
Brazoria County
Copy all Roy.  The biggest square wave right now is the dang weather.  I got in a great 4 miles last night, 8:13 avg pace with a dozen 30 second strides at 6:05 pace thrown in...but that was as long as I could stay out, just incredibly hot (96).  I need to start running in the morning, but that is almost harder on me than running in the heat. 

I go in this afternoon for my bike fit, then plan on setting up the new trainer and keeping my road bike on it so I can get in some indoor workouts on the bike.  I also have a good treadmill--we share a love-hate relationship--and I need to start booking some intervals on it as I can adjust elevation significantly, while the weather is so brutally hot.

I'm not displeased with where I am at, just have high expectations so even a little slip for a week makes me feel guuilty...
2009-06-17 11:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Ah summer in the south. Most of my running is on treadmills through the week, and I'll get out on the weekends most of the time. Our pm thunderstorm pattern hasnt' really kicked in yet, but once it does it just about eliminates outside during the week. I know the you guys experience similar weather. I do know we get a bit more of sea breeze than I remember in Houston. Maybe since your closer to Galveston you get some breaK?

Where are you in your Mary plan and how many weeks were you going to allow for HIM training?

2009-06-17 11:17 AM
in reply to: #2224221

User image

Regular
Brazoria County
I am in the 4th week (out of 20) of my marathon program, am trying to work in HIM work right along side of the mary program.  I have 17 weeks total (13 remaining) until Redman.  I am doing 90 minute long runs every other week, with long steady runs of 12 miles on the opposite weeks.  Am doing about 25 miles per week right now, building base.

Thankfully, we have had 10-15 mph breezes during this hot spell, a bit uncharacteristic, otherwise people would've been dropping like flies. 

2009-06-17 12:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

I think the two plans are going to work out really well. You've got experience with Marathon nutrition, now you should be getting a plan together for the HIM. I know I made a mistake last year, I had known all along to committ to a nutrition plan and stick with it. I deviated from the plan of attack on the bike and it set the remainder of the day back. Still finished, but not happy with the result. I'm looking forward to doing it again. I've got my eye on one later this year, if I can talk my wife into a road trip.

And on another note, and Mike I'm sure you can relate. I knew this year was going to be a lean competition year. Didn't really know why just had a sense I guess. Well I have figured it out. My oldest daughter had to stay in Boca for a summer class, now Boca Raton is not your usual affordable housing college town. Oh No. Full  Rent baby. So thats where my funds have gone just one months deposit for her and thats a season of tri's. Ehhh. I came to understand this just last week, and I thought well now I know why I did not plan on racing much this year. Steve, Olman your next. I'm getting antsy to compete, but the schedule just isn't cooperating. But I'm trying to get something going for the last part of the year. You guys understand this much better than a wife. LOL.

2009-06-17 3:51 PM

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
yes dear...  LOL

I'm racing this weekend.  A couple of local BTers and I (4 of us) are meeting at my community pool SAT AM for a full Sprint race.  We'll swim 750, ride 14.5 and run 5K  -  Steve, you are to blame for this race organizing bug I got!

Because they don't know my routes, we'll handicap the swim, that way we can all pass the road club in a Team TT formation. Then it'll be an all out 5k. 

Sounds fun to me.  It'll be a great way to celebrate my 40th BD (tomorrow - shhhhh!!
Nothing can be more fun than celebrating by doing one of the things I enjoy most (this statement does not take into consideration an all out 5K run). 

Those are my 2 cents.

Steve: rest is good. chant it with me. REST IS GOOD.  Now, laziness is a different story, but that's not you.
The other two of you... - don't start the college cost discussion here or I'm going to have to sell all my gear to stop feeling guilty.

I started a thread with some other items I am selling.  Spread the word for me, please.
2009-06-18 10:00 AM

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND

My body definitely knew what it was talking about Tuesday night.  That rest did me good on my Wednesday Night MTB Ride.  I did a prep ride for Saturday's endurance race (5 hour lap race).  3 hours on the bike covering 30+ miles of trails last night.  I have NEVER felt like I did last night on a bike.  I adjusted my calories, electrolytes and water intake up by 30% across the board to test it out.  Turns out I have been under fueling in every aspect.  I could have ridden for 12 hours.  Usually after my first lap on Wednesdays I am completely bonked and my calves cramp under heavy load or if I try to really spin the cranks fast up a hill.  That is typically an hour and a half of riding.  I doubled that last night and felt as fresh at the end as I did at the beginning. 

Each race this year I have learned valuable lessons.  I hope to keep incorporating them into better and better performances.  1st race 4+ minutes in transition, 2nd race 1 minute 30 secs.  1st race severe stomach pain from nutrition mistake, 2nd race no stomach issues.  Now if I can incorporate the hydration and proper electrolyte and calorie mix into future races I should see the results.  I didn't get it at first when Roy kept telling me this year will be a learning experience for me.  I just kept looking at each event as a swim, a bike and a run at distances that I thought were no sweat rather than looking at the event as a whole. 

2009-06-18 10:51 AM
in reply to: #2226507

User image

Regular
Brazoria County
Now you are getting it, Steven!!  I've retained more knowledge over the years from what I did wrong than I ever have from what I've been told (I'm kind of thick-headed that way).  Suffice it to say that the lessons you learn the hard way don't generally need to be "re-learned" in the future!
2009-06-19 3:39 PM

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND

Hey guys, I gave a grant presentation today at my local tourism bureau to get funds for my race.  Spoke for about 20 minutes and then answered questions for another 15.  They approved it!!  Wooo Hoooo!!  Now I have the funds to do the things I need to do to make this a 1st class EVENT, not just another race. 

2009-06-19 8:24 PM
in reply to: #2229814

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Nice going Steven, I'm sure your proud. And I know you'll put together a first class event. Like Mike said a while back, be nice if we were close enough to help you out.

You might find this interesting, yesterday I swam in a pool that was close to 95degrees, and  just a few days ago you couldn't do a swim for fear of hypothermia. Go figure.

I'll be at swim meet this weekend, I'll check on you guys over the weekend sometime.

HAPPY FATHERS DAY!!!!!!!

Edited by tri/tbay 2009-06-19 8:24 PM
2009-06-21 8:20 AM

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND

Happy Father's Day everyone!! 

I did an endurance MTB race yesterday.  There were two classes, 5 hour and 10 hour.  I did the 5 hour.  I led most of the day and was leading when I stopped, but a rule interpretation allowed another rider to put in one more lap and go from third to first.  The way the rule was explained at the beginning of the race was if you started a lap in the last thirty minutes you had to finish before the race time cutoff (within those thirty minutes) for the lap to count.  I came in on my final lap with 25 minutes left on the clock.  There was NO WAY I was doing another lap and I couldn't have finished it in 25 minutes anyway, so I pulled in to camp and started recovering.  Well then they announced that any lap started in the last thirty minutes had to be completed within 30 minutes, so essentially you could extend your five hours to five hours and 29 minutes if you left with one minute left on the clock (which is essentially what the guy did).  So he did one more lap than me but it took him an hour longer.  Oh well, I had a blast.  It was 87 and there was about 300 total yards of shade on the 4.3 mile course.  I did 11 laps in 4hr 21 mins.  There was not a flat spot on the course.  You were either climbing, descending, or weaving through technical sections the entire time.  The RD is an awesome guy with many years of event planning experience.  He has really helped me shorten the learning curve for planning my event. 

I used some Perpetuem during the race, but I really didn't like it.  I just didn't feel the energy like I do with gels.  I know they say anything over 2 hours and you should use SE or Perpetuem, but I'm going to test gels for five hours and see how it goes.  I used them for 3 hours yesterday and felt unstoppable. 

2009-06-21 12:44 PM
in reply to: #2231598

User image

Regular
Brazoria County
I don't know how you do that Steven--I mountain biked at the Muddy Buddy last month, and it is nothing if not work.  Riding almost 5 hours, let alone covering almost 50 miles on rough terrain...crazy!  Way to go though, leading the pack like that.

I, also, am starting to doubt my use of Heed instead of sports drinks (Heed is the 2 hour and under version of Perpetuem).  It just has not fueled me like I need to be fueled.  I had perhaps the single worst training run EVER yesterday, set out to do 12 miles at a 9:40 pace, was crashing after 3 miles, barely got through 6 miles and walked the rest of the way in.  I had tunnel vision, wooziness, etc...all symptoms of low blood sugar, and I never recovered.  I was taking Heed only, but did start with a gel, so am really having to rethink my long run nutrition.

I used Perpetuem exclusively during the Napa marathon back in March, and it worked well, but Heed ain't cutting it for me.  What is the other long duration product you referenced--SE?

What do the rest of you guys do for 2 hr + workouts?  I've used Gatorade for 40+ mile bike rides, and it worked OK, but I need to start taking a salt tablet or Endurolyte as well for electrolytes.

Edited by wildcat83 2009-06-21 12:58 PM
2009-06-21 9:45 PM

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND

SE is Sustained Energy, also from Hammer.  It is the first version of 2+ hour formula they came up with.  Perpetuem was introduced as just as good but different.  I might experiment with SE or Perpetuem on one of the two centuries I have planned late July/early August.  I have never used HEED other than just an after workout drink.  What works for me is straight water, a Hammer gel every twenty minutes and Endurolytes two at a time every half hour or more if I feel a twinge.  With that combination I have felt absolutely unstoppable.  Any variation from that and I have failed miserably whether in training or racing.  I set my alarm on my watch for 20 minutes and unless I'm in a section where I cannot take a hand off my bar I eat religiously on that bell.  They recommend not using gels over two hours, but I have had no ill effects.  The only reason I switched over during the race yesterday was because I was in a "controlled" environment and figured I could get back to camp if something happened.  It essentially cost me the victory because I went from strong at 3 hours when I switched from gels to Perpetuem to virtually bonking at 3:45 after consuming two servings. 

2009-06-22 10:19 PM

User image

Expert
Near Tampa

I HAVE NOT COMPLETED ANYTHING OVER 2 HRS HOWEVER, I will say that a couple of carbs we sell (cluster dextrin and trehalose) which are, well, complex carbs, that are slowly absorbed - this gives a slow but constant carbo dose. They also have a low glycemic index, meaning that they cause very little insulin reaction/release.

There's a few products with simialr mixes.

Additionally, for electrolytes, most products use simple salts (Sodium or Potasium salts - just make sure you add some sea salt in your food).  This is not difficult to achieve, in fact, some artificial sweeteners (sacharin), although they are sweet in flavor, are actually salts.   it is not difficult, or should I say, the products we buy are not that high tech.

Good luck with your kitchen chemistry class.

2009-06-23 9:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Hello Boys,

Ah just a short work week this weekend, 20hrs on a pool deck, plus the real job. Oh well. Now just a couple of thoughts from your conversations over the weekend.

Mike I'm assuming that you had mixed up the proper calorie amount of the heed to take with you, I'v used heed and not had any issues with pre=bonk. I don't currently use it because I can't deal with sticky hands which I tended to get with using Heed. I guess its a golf thing, got to have clean hands. Perpeteum is good stuff, I guess I like that pancake mix taste. I'm currently using Powerbar's version of nutrition/electrolytes drink mix. Its pretty good and fairly cheap.

I (my opinion here) really think it is more a function for both of you guys of getting your weekly nutrition dialed in. Not just race day. Your both in a high training mode, burning a lot of caloiries, watching what you eat and probably a little fatigued most days. This is normal, but your really going to have to work on this area. What are you doing for recovery? I will use Whey protein on a nightly basis or post workout as a shake. I'll mix some with about 6-8 oz of water or low fat milk and drink it right before bed. Or on the weekends when my workouts are longer in duration I'll use it as a shake. Might be an area you will need to develop.

Steven I think you can probably see now its not like the old track days, when your were working shorter anaerobic events didn't need alot of nutrition to get you through the race you had already built the reserves, and you were accustomed to what your environment was. Now is a different cat, by the way thats a very impressive bike event you did, doubt I could do it myself.

I don't know if I would get discouraged with the products  your using, but maybe make some adjustments in how your using it, and watch you nutrition during the workout week.  

And Olman, Happy Birthday!! And looks like your birthday tri was a success, good job.

Second 5k of the summer watermelon series this saturday, so we'll see if I can go a little lower than last time. Mike we are having the same weather pattern you guys are, its brutal.

2009-06-23 11:05 AM
in reply to: #2236644

User image

Regular
Brazoria County
I mixed the Heed just a bit stronger than two weeks prior, because I had felt under-fueled during that run, but it just didn't seem to do any good.  I bought a bottle of Hammer gel yesterday, am going to try diluting it with a little water and put into one bottle on my belt, plan to nurse it along the run and will then carry Heed (albeit in a more dilute formula) for electrolytes and hydration.  Also will take Endurolytes every half hour.  My problem could be from electrolyte imbalance as much as hydration or fueling, I am thinking.  According to information on Hammer website, you should shoot to replenish about one third of the fluids/carbs/electrolytes you lose/consume during a long run, not more as your body just can't process it.

For me, this means about 300 calories, 25-30 ounces of fluid, 700 mg of sodium/electrolytes per hour of workout.  I am going to try Perpetuem for my under 2 hour workouts, as it worked for me in Napa, but won't give up on the Heed yet.

Also, I need to be more dilligent in taking Endurolytes, also like I did in Napa (took 1-2 every hour, but weather was ideal running conditions , 53 deg and drizzly, unlike Houston now).  I probably need to take 2 Endurolytes and a salt tablet every hour, mix them up so I am taking 1 tablet of something every 20 minutes or so, and I haven't been doing that.

I've trained in this muck for several years, and know that I get a "weather multiplier" out of it when I race in cooler climates in the fall, but I haven't experienced the bonking before like this year so I'll just keep monkeying around with things. 

Two more things you said Roy that hit a chord, are my post-race recoveries--I am not consistent there and need to be; second is my mid-week nutrition--I used to work in good carbs (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, etc.) with every evening meal, and I have gotten away from that.  I think that would also help me for my long runs.

A buddy who just moved to England also made a good point--maybe my late afternoon workouts have me just too fatigued to get up and run in the early mornings, that the heat and fluid loss takes more out of me than my body can recover from in a 24 hour period...not sure, but possible.
2009-06-23 11:20 AM
in reply to: #2236949

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

wildcat83 - 2009-06-23 12:05 PM I mixed the Heed just a bit stronger than two weeks prior, because I had felt under-fueled during that run, but it just didn't seem to do any good.  I bought a bottle of Hammer gel yesterday, am going to try diluting it with a little water and put into one bottle on my belt, plan to nurse it along the run and will then carry Heed (albeit in a more dilute formula) for electrolytes and hydration.  Also will take Endurolytes every half hour.  My problem could be from electrolyte imbalance as much as hydration or fueling, I am thinking.  According to information on Hammer website, you should shoot to replenish about one third of the fluids/carbs/electrolytes you lose/consume during a long run, not more as your body just can't process it.

For me, this means about 300 calories, 25-30 ounces of fluid, 700 mg of sodium/electrolytes per hour of workout.  I am going to try Perpetuem for my under 2 hour workouts, as it worked for me in Napa, but won't give up on the Heed yet.

Also, I need to be more dilligent in taking Endurolytes, also like I did in Napa (took 1-2 every hour, but weather was ideal running conditions , 53 deg and drizzly, unlike Houston now).  I probably need to take 2 Endurolytes and a salt tablet every hour, mix them up so I am taking 1 tablet of something every 20 minutes or so, and I haven't been doing that.

I've trained in this muck for several years, and know that I get a "weather multiplier" out of it when I race in cooler climates in the fall, but I haven't experienced the bonking before like this year so I'll just keep monkeying around with things. 

Two more things you said Roy that hit a chord, are my post-race recoveries--I am not consistent there and need to be; second is my mid-week nutrition--I used to work in good carbs (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, etc.) with every evening meal, and I have gotten away from that.  I think that would also help me for my long runs.

A buddy who just moved to England also made a good point--maybe my late afternoon workouts have me just too fatigued to get up and run in the early mornings, that the heat and fluid loss takes more out of me than my body can recover from in a 24 hour period...not sure, but possible.

I think your on the right track here, just make some adjustments to your fueling plans, and your friend might be right about your recovery from pm to am workouts. This is where using Whey protein will benefit your system. I know for me I am more accustomed to pm workouts, only get to do am workouts on the weekends but then I'm not doing pm workouts on those either.

2009-06-23 11:23 AM
in reply to: #2236949

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

[ I bought a bottle of Hammer gel yesterday, am going to try diluting it with a little water and put into one bottle on my belt, plan to nurse it along the run

I've done this it will not be the most exciting drink you have ever had.

2009-06-23 11:32 AM
in reply to: #2237013

User image

Regular
Brazoria County
"I've done this it will not be the most exciting drink you have ever had."

LOL...none of the options would actually be classified as "exciting", but then beer just doesn't contain electrolytes or it could be the perfect fuel...waitaminute!!  Red beer contains carbs, fluids, electrolytes, sugars...I may be on to something here.  If I used a non-alchoholic beer as the base I wouldn't get the fluid-sapping effects of alchohol...

2009-06-23 11:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

I'll let you do the experiment.

2009-06-23 9:57 PM

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND

Mike, non alcoholic beer isn't any fun.  It's this time of year that I miss beer. 

Went home from work yesterday with a fever.  I caught my wife's cold for a few days there (yes, I competed on Saturday while sick).  Felt fine on Sunday for the Aesoph Father's Day picnic, then crashed yesterday.  I even missed beer league softball!!  Feeling much better today.  Went out for a six mile run with no watch.  I just wanted to run on feel.  It's hard to take that crutch away sometimes and just go run or bike with no time limit or mileage indicator.  I need to do that more.  Probably after September 13th (my last race for the year). 

Tomorrow's Wednesday Night Ride will be a fun one.  I have built a lot of confidence over the last two weeks with two races and two big learning experiences.  I feel fast and strong on my bike.  Now we'll see how strong I feel after 5 back to back climbs about miles 4-6 on the trail.  I intend on pushing harder than I usually do to see what I can take.  Thursday is a nice easy run in the morning to get the legs back under me and an open water swim that night.  This weekend I have a 90 minute run with 6 x 5 minute surges at 6 minute pace on Saturday and a 4 hour bike on Sunday morning.  Probably something Friday night, like weights or something.  What are you guys up to?

2009-06-24 7:40 AM
in reply to: #2238546

User image

Regular
Brazoria County
I got in a good run yesterday afternoon, 102 deg when I got back, but I ran 5 miles at 8:30 pace, with 16 30 sec strides at 6:50-7:05 pace + 1 min recovery jog in between, mile warm up and mile cool down (although there wasn't much cooling down going on!).

Today, maybe an hour on my bike trainer, tomorrow, 2200 yds open water swim followed by a couple of mile run, Friday 90 minute thirds progression run, Sat. rest, Sunday--RACE DAY!  I have a sprint tri here in town Sunday morning (300yd pool swim, 12 mile bike, 3 mile run).  It will be hot, 80 deg min at race start, probably almost 90 by the time I finish.

Roy, man but you were right on the Hammer gel diluted with water--awful!  I couldn't even nurse it.  However, the Perpetuem-Heed 50-50 mix is not too bad, seemed to keep me better fueled than just Heed.  I also took a salt tab about 20 minutes before running, then an Endurolyte 20 minutes into the run.  Started last night building more good carbs into meals also, and will continue it through the week heading into the race on Sunday, also will be hydrating well.

Steven, I like the sound of your surge run workout, will give that one a try today.  What I've proven to myself the past few weeks is that my body and mind both respond better when I run fast, those long steady runs do nothing but make me realize I am about a half step away from walking, but strides, intervals, progression runs etc. all make me feel great!

2009-06-24 8:53 AM

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND

Mike, I've always wondered, "how can anyone expect to run fast if they don't train fast?"  Now, of course, there are times where recovery is in order and you just need to relax.  But if you're purpose is to gain fitness that day, then RUN!  You would be surprised how long you can hold that pace.  Without racelike efforts during training I feel like I'm guessing at what I could do on race day. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri/tbay group closed Rss Feed  

of 22