BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Super Cats Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2009-04-27 4:40 PM
in reply to: #2113775

User image

Champion
Sydney
Subject: RE: Super Cats Mentor Group - CLOSED

D001 - 2009-04-28 7:18 AM
Rudedog55 - 2009-04-27 11:56 AM
losta - 2009-04-27 11:28 AM Interesting tips here. I actually just returned from my first non solo ride with a neighbor so it was a good read.

I am pretty new here and right now I just have a basic membership but I plan to upgrade it very soon. Can someone tell me what the different calendar colors mean? Mine are all peachy, but I have seen other colors on some of your calendars.

Keep up the good work everyone and thanks so much!

Peach is an active workout day

Yello is a post, but not workout

green is a race day

that is all i have right now, hope it helps

What Rudy said. Also: Lighter peach is a run, bike or swim workout. Darker peach/red is a non-tri related event workout. (For example, strength, or yoga.) Yellow means you've posted comments, but didn't record a workout. Blue means you've entered data such as the amount of sleep, etc.

A red box around a day means you were sick/injured... youll see those in mylog at the moment!

I just called in sick to work this morning Figured rather than try to get better and being tired and yucky it was time to admit I needed a day on the couch and in bed sleeping!

2009-04-27 5:42 PM
in reply to: #2072951

How goes it everyone??? Yall have a good weekend?

I got my last finals of Undergrad this week, so ill be a little busy.
2009-04-27 6:31 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
That's fantastic, Patch!

I had a nice, quiet, restful weekend. I did my run, although it was miserable. My asthma problem has become just that... a problem. I have an appt with the nurse practitioner on Wed, the soonest I could get in.  Just sitting here at my desk, I feel out of breath. That can't be good.

I broke down and had an unscheduled Starbucks this afternoon. Between feeling tired and stressed, I talked myself into getting a mocha and an apple fritter.  I know... worse that usual.  And I didn't go to the gym. *sigh*  At least I'll have a salad tonight.

But with my asthma thing really bugging me, I think I'm going to skip a run tonight. I might spend some time cleaning my bedroom and seeing if that helps me feel better.
2009-04-27 7:17 PM
in reply to: #2111669

User image

Champion
Taser-World
JoeBWan - 2009-04-26 9:33 PM
  • Yesterday, I ran a (solo) 5K at my normal pace.  I wasn't thinking, or else I would have taken it easier.  Luckily, it went very well, ankle-wise, but my heartrate was WAY higher than it normally is at the same pace.  Could this be the effect of my body still healing or just the fact that I haven't run in 3 weeks?
  • Anyone have some advice on what I should do over the next week to prepare?

Yay on being able to run with no ankle problems!

Elevated heart rate -- I'm going to speculate here.... I'd think it could be either of those, or maybe a combination.

Advice -- Eh. Believe me, you don't want running advice from me. LOL Hopefully, some of the longer-distance runners in our group will check in soon.

2009-04-27 7:21 PM
    in reply to: #2113922

User image

Champion
    Taser-World
    patchadams - 2009-04-27 6:42 PM

How goes it everyone??? Yall have a good weekend?

I got my last finals of Undergrad this week, so ill be a little busy.

Good luck with them!

2009-04-27 7:25 PM
    in reply to: #2114008

User image

Champion
    Taser-World
    madkat - 2009-04-27 7:31 PM

That's fantastic, Patch!

I had a nice, quiet, restful weekend. I did my run, although it was miserable. My asthma problem has become just that... a problem. I have an appt with the nurse practitioner on Wed, the soonest I could get in.  Just sitting here at my desk, I feel out of breath. That can't be good.

I broke down and had an unscheduled Starbucks this afternoon. Between feeling tired and stressed, I talked myself into getting a mocha and an apple fritter.  I know... worse that usual.  And I didn't go to the gym. *sigh*  At least I'll have a salad tonight.

But with my asthma thing really bugging me, I think I'm going to skip a run tonight. I might spend some time cleaning my bedroom and seeing if that helps me feel better.

Bummer on the asthma! I had some tightness and wheezing yesterday, but I was able to keep going.

I eat when stressed too. (And I've got to learn to stop it.) Would stretching help? Or maybe some low-key yoga? (I got a short yoga DVD. I usually forget I have it, but sometimes, I'll watch it. And I think the stretches in it do help reduce my stress levels.)

If cleaning your house makes you feel better..... you're welcome to come here next and clean mine.

Hope you get the asthma under control!

2009-04-27 7:55 PM
    in reply to: #2114008

User image

Champion
    Sydney

madkat - 2009-04-28 9:31 AM That's fantastic, Patch!

Smart move skipping in the run tonigh(and the gym too!) I ran Sunday morning with a horrible cold thing tat now Im off work with... common sense is not always my strong point...

As for the Starbucks - dont worry about it! How many have you had in the last week compared to what you were doing? If its less then youve made a significant change and this was just a one of treat because you felt like it... no worries! Move on to your next meal, make a healthy choice...but dont punish yourself for it!

Its one meal at a time and not all of them will be purrfect, not all of them will be healthy and not all of them you will eat for hunger reasons... but if the overall trend is that you are doing better then you are Its all good and you are heading in the right direction!

Go you!

2009-04-28 11:31 AM
    in reply to: #2108891

User image

Veteran
    Seattle

I have a pretty busy weekend planned:

1.  Spring game at the University of Washington - 0-12 last year, but with a new coach and young player's there is some excitement in the air...  I also have season tickets, so I need to get my money's worth!

2.  Go bike shopping - one of the LBS' is having their first sale in over 70 years, so I'll go and check it out (up to 40% off of Trek, Specialized, and Gary Fischer )

3.  My best friend's second son is being baptized on Sunday.

4.  Physical Therapy exercises/stretches, long stationary bike ride (unless I buy one), and maybe get into the pool in preparation for the guys vs girls swim challenge in May.

ETA:

5.  Get caught up on the mentor group - I know I owe some replies to, as well as giving some, inspires.

UUUGGGHHH!!  Work wasted my plans for last weekend:

1.  Missed the Husky spring game - sitting in the office from 8-5pm editing financial statements and waiting around in case auditors had questions (they didn't);

2.  Couldn't go bike shopping becuase they close at 6:00 on the weekends

3.  Baptism and socializing afterwards took up most of the day, but glad I went.

4.  Didn't get in any training - I know, I should have went and gotten started to see if my mood changed, but I was mentally exhausted

5.  Hoping I'll get caught up on those inspires and group thread tonight, but we haven't issued financial statements yet and Thursday is our deadline, so not sure how late I'll be at work.

Whining and excuses over, time to HTFU!!
    2009-04-28 2:24 PM
    in reply to: #2115593

User image

Champion
    Taser-World
    More questions for the group!

What are your thoughts about recovery?
    What helps your sore muscles recover faster? (Stretching, massage, heat, cold, etc?)
    Also, how long do you wait until your next workout using those muscles? (Until all the soreness is gone, or some of it, etc.?)
    How can you differentiate "normal soreness" from "Gee, I'm overdoing it"?
    Do you find that nutrition impacts your recovery? (For example, extra protein to help repair/grow muscles?)

2009-04-28 6:02 PM
    in reply to: #2116217

User image

Veteran
    State College, PA
    D001 - 2009-04-28 3:24 PM More questions for the group! What are your thoughts about recovery? What helps your sore muscles recover faster? (Stretching, massage, heat, cold, etc?) Also, how long do you wait until your next workout using those muscles? (Until all the soreness is gone, or some of it, etc.?) How can you differentiate "normal soreness" from "Gee, I'm overdoing it"? Do you find that nutrition impacts your recovery? (For example, extra protein to help repair/grow muscles?)

I've done a bunch of research on the recovery drinks/energy bars and I have come to embrace 1% chocolate milk wholeheartedly.  I always follow my endurance workouts (run/swim/bike but not weight training) with 12 oz of the stuff.

About recovering after workouts, I generally feel warmth and wobbliness after a nice long run, but no pain.  If I have been inconsistent in my workouts, I will get DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) about two days after the workout.  I'm not a big proponent of R.I.C.E. (Rest Ice Compression Elevation), but instead like M.I.C.E. (Movement Ice Compression Elevation).  If I don't move my sore muscles AT ALL, they really don't improve as quickly and tend to really stiffen up.  I advocate getting some movement going to motivate the body to pay attention to the sore area and get some healing and recovery going.

So, MICE:

Movement - example: if you're sore from a 5 mile run, take a 1 mile walk or go for a swim instead of hitting the road

Ice - Man, ice has been my lifesaver.  I always doubted its efficacy until I had serious shin splints and now my ankle injury.  Get a nice ice wrap and put it arond the sore muscle.  Leave it there for 20 minutes or so 3 or 4 times a day

Compression - get a wrap or compressing sock or whatever works for the sore body part.  It keeps the swelling down, aids in circulation and provides support during the Movement

Elevation - whenever you're sitting still, try to keep the sore part heart level or higher.  Sometimes, I'll lie on the floor with my foot up on the couch while reading or watching TV

About how to tell if the pain is normal exercise soreness or abnormal injury - for me it comes down to two things:  1) Sharp pains are no good whatsoever.  If it makes you jump or react quickly, stop doing whatever you're doing.  2)  Normal functioning.  If you can't move your muscles the way you normally do, you probably went too far.  I have mostly felt this way after weight training, but sometimes after runs or bike rides where I went too long and incorporated too many hills.  Sometimes this kind of soreness just requires some additional time off.  And MICE, of course.

2009-04-28 6:25 PM
    in reply to: #2111880

User image

Veteran
    State College, PA
    kaqphin - 2009-04-26 11:10 PM

Hi Joe,

Its great to see your ankle is back in action... a couple of general tips for you:

1 - Its better to go into a race slightly undertrained than slightly over trained

2 - This close to a race you are not going to GAIN any fitness so whatever you do should be to aid your body for the weekend NOT take energy from it

3 - Do not do anything that may risk aggravating your ankle ahead of the race. If it plays up on the day so be it, but dont do anything that may set it off before hand!

4 - Outside of training do what you need to do to keep your body in top shape this week. Plenty of sleep (esp if nerves will make sleeping difficult closer to the race), good nutrition and anything else you find beneficial (stretching, massage etc)

Basically be conservative and get to the race in tip top shape should be your focus for the week!

Thanks, Cat!  I'm taking your advice to heart and not doing any more long runs until this weekend.   I guess you're right about not making any gains during this week.  I was trying to convince myself that I could actually do some "catching up" but you're right.  The running I'm doing should just be to keep my muscles "warm" so that I don't get too sore after this weekend's race.

No matter what, I'm going to keep all workouts and paces really really light this week.

2009-04-28 6:26 PM

User image

Veteran
    State College, PA
    d2lock - 2009-04-28 12:31 PM

1.  Spring game at the University of Washington - 0-12 last year, but with a new coach and young player's there is some excitement in the air...  I also have season tickets, so I need to get my money's worth!

2.  Go bike shopping - one of the LBS' is having their first sale in over 70 years, so I'll go and check it out (up to 40% off of Trek, Specialized, and Gary Fischer )

4.  Physical Therapy exercises/stretches, long stationary bike ride (unless I buy one), and maybe get into the pool in preparation for the guys vs girls swim challenge in May.

ETA:

5.  Get caught up on the mentor group - I know I owe some replies to, as well as giving some, inspires.

1.  Missed the Husky spring game - sitting in the office from 8-5pm editing financial statements and waiting around in case auditors had questions (they didn't);

3.  Baptism and socializing afterwards took up most of the day, but glad I went.

4.  Didn't get in any training - I know, I should have went and gotten started to see if my mood changed, but I was mentally exhausted

5.  Hoping I'll get caught up on those inspires and group thread tonight, but we haven't issued financial statements yet and Thursday is our deadline, so not sure how late I'll be at work.

Hey - everyone gets to cash in some "whining credits" every now and then.  I hope you get back above board soon.  Hang in there!
    2009-04-28 6:58 PM
    in reply to: #2116804

User image

Champion
    Taser-World
    JoeBWan - 2009-04-28 7:02 PM

D001 - 2009-04-28 3:24 PM More questions for the group! What are your thoughts about recovery? What helps your sore muscles recover faster? (Stretching, massage, heat, cold, etc?) Also, how long do you wait until your next workout using those muscles? (Until all the soreness is gone, or some of it, etc.?) How can you differentiate "normal soreness" from "Gee, I'm overdoing it"? Do you find that nutrition impacts your recovery? (For example, extra protein to help repair/grow muscles?)

I've done a bunch of research on the recovery drinks/energy bars and I have come to embrace 1% chocolate milk wholeheartedly.  I always follow my endurance workouts (run/swim/bike but not weight training) with 12 oz of the stuff.

About recovering after workouts, I generally feel warmth and wobbliness after a nice long run, but no pain.  If I have been inconsistent in my workouts, I will get DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) about two days after the workout.  I'm not a big proponent of R.I.C.E. (Rest Ice Compression Elevation), but instead like M.I.C.E. (Movement Ice Compression Elevation).  If I don't move my sore muscles AT ALL, they really don't improve as quickly and tend to really stiffen up.  I advocate getting some movement going to motivate the body to pay attention to the sore area and get some healing and recovery going.

So, MICE:

Movement - example: if you're sore from a 5 mile run, take a 1 mile walk or go for a swim instead of hitting the road

Ice - Man, ice has been my lifesaver.  I always doubted its efficacy until I had serious shin splints and now my ankle injury.  Get a nice ice wrap and put it arond the sore muscle.  Leave it there for 20 minutes or so 3 or 4 times a day

Compression - get a wrap or compressing sock or whatever works for the sore body part.  It keeps the swelling down, aids in circulation and provides support during the Movement

Elevation - whenever you're sitting still, try to keep the sore part heart level or higher.  Sometimes, I'll lie on the floor with my foot up on the couch while reading or watching TV

About how to tell if the pain is normal exercise soreness or abnormal injury - for me it comes down to two things:  1) Sharp pains are no good whatsoever.  If it makes you jump or react quickly, stop doing whatever you're doing.  2)  Normal functioning.  If you can't move your muscles the way you normally do, you probably went too far.  I have mostly felt this way after weight training, but sometimes after runs or bike rides where I went too long and incorporated too many hills.  Sometimes this kind of soreness just requires some additional time off.  And MICE, of course.

Thanks! That was very informative!

On Sunday after the race, I made sure to do some stretching and a bit of walking. I found the legs felt better when I was moving around. Unfortunately, I had to go to work on Monday. But when I had the opportunity, I tried to walk. It helped. Sitting made everything stiffen up. It's OK today though.

I am dismayed to hear that ice is good. I hate ice. LOL

I think I'm going to go have some chocolate milk now.

2009-04-28 8:05 PM

User image

Pro
    Norwalk, Connecticut

ooooooooo  i   llllooovvvveee  Chocomilks!!!!!!   nom nom nom

2009-04-28 9:17 PM

User image

Champion
    Sydney

d2lock - 2009-04-29 2:31 AM

ETA:

5.  Hoping I'll get caught up on those inspires and group thread tonight, but we haven't issued financial statements yet and
    Thursday is our deadline, so not sure how late I'll be at work.

Whine away!!! We all have to do it... it makes you geel beter!!!

Training and this stuff is mean to compliment your life and enhance it so be careful not to make it another pressure or stress!

On a bad day at work Ive been known to slip on some sneakers and just gofor a walk around the block... it can be enough to make focusing at work without doing any strenuous exercise. Takes no longer than a coffee brek really... and clearing the head is good for the soul... might work for you?

We'll all be here when you are done so dont worry about that..

Edited by kaqphin 2009-04-28 9:18 PM
    2009-04-28 9:37 PM
    in reply to: #2116804

User image

Champion
    Sydney

JoeBWan - 2009-04-29 9:02 AM

So, MICE:

Good advice!!

R.I.C.E is for INJURIES! Not for DOMS... and I find gentle movement is great... can be a walk, a stretch, an easy swim... swimming is GREAT recovery for me! Its quite personal what works for you!

I only use Ice if its my knees or ankles swelling uip and that usually pretty close to post race. If Im really desparate I might take a NSAID (like ibuprofen) but thats ONLY if its an old injury playing up!

Im allfor compresion... its no secret I use compressions socks but with my ankles/shins its once again more like managing an OLD injury than anything!(ankles, shins)

Achy sore is more DOMS like Joe said, sharp stabby or localised pain may be an injury... mild or other?

Some people get more DOMs than others so you cant judge your level of discomfort on anyone else... when I did the tri in January everyone else was fine in 24 hours... I was hobbling around for 3-4 days!

In terms of nutrition post race... first priority is hydration, second if replenishing your muscle glycogen... depending on the length of the race etc this can take several hours or several days.

Because you havent raced much Dee you might find your body takes a little while to come right... thats all good! Dont worry about it... just keep any workout intensities low, eat well (with a few treats if you like) and be patient!

Another trickIve been meaing to try is a bath of Epsom Salts... I know some very good cyclists/runners who swear by it for Doms... I STILL havent tried it despite having all the required ingredients!

2009-04-28 9:39 PM

User image

Champion
    Sydney

Dee - timing of nutrition for recovery and to support training is a whole other topic! You can get really scientific with it if you want.. Im gonna write some stuff up if you like?

Plus all the nutrition articles Ive posted have some advice too...

2009-04-28 10:02 PM
    in reply to: #2117270

User image

Champion
    Taser-World
    kaqphin - 2009-04-28 10:39 PM

Dee - timing of nutrition for recovery and to support training is a whole other topic! You can get really scientific with it if you want.. Im gonna write some stuff up if you like?

I figured it would get pretty involved.

BTW, I had major carb cravings on Sunday. LOL

There's another local 5k this weekend. I really want to register -- but I'm thinking that might be too much, too soon.

(But this is the first time they've had ANY local races, so I'm happy! I just wish they weren't on consecutive weekends.)

2009-04-28 10:07 PM

User image

Champion
    Sydney

Ok everyone... towards the end of this week we enter a BRAND NEW shiny month! So its time to set some GOALS...

I havent decided on mine yet but what I tend to do it is look at my totals in each of the sports for the last two months and see what I would like to stay the same, what I would like to increase and what I would like to decrease (if needed).

I also look at balance,... do I need to sleep more? Stretch more?

What about nutrition?

Have I got anything coming up I know about that means I need to revise my routine?  Races?

Any other personal (non training) goals?

I will be back with mine but you might like to think of some for yourself!!!

Super Cats suggestion of the day

2009-04-28 10:08 PM
    in reply to: #2117313

User image

Champion
    Sydney

D001 - 2009-04-29 1:02 PM
    kaqphin - 2009-04-28 10:39 PM

I figured it would get pretty involved. BTW, I had major carb cravings on Sunday. LOL There's another local 5k this weekend. I really want to register -- but I'm thinking that might be too much, too soon. (But this is the first time they've had ANY local races, so I'm happy! I just wish they weren't on consecutive weekends.)

Post raceI tend to feed my cravings!

I think doing another 5k would be fine Dee... as long as you take it easy this week...if you enjoy it and just go and have fun treat it as a worout and enjoy!

If you want to doit why not? Its not like you are trying to do half marathons back to back

2009-04-29 7:42 AM

User image

Master
    Metro NY Area
    Hmmmmm...Goals. I am awaiting a training plan for SheROX that begins May 11th. I plan to try to follow that as I see fit. Between now and then I just want to keep up what I'm doing since I just started up from complete couch potato April 12th.

I feel fitter, I lost some weight (my clothes are loose and feel I may be back to a smaller size within a few weeks) I'm eating better and yesterday I wasn't even tempted by some free bagels and muffins that were available, so I consider myself well on my way but I have very far to go.

I am even thinking of signing up for another sprint tri that is about 6 weeks after my first.

Thanks everyone for the inspires and posts they have all been interesting and supportive. I'm still trying to get the hang of this site. How does everyone know others training, do you look individually at everyones log? Is there an easier way that comes with paid membership? Any tips on that?

2009-04-29 1:08 PM
    in reply to: #2117664

User image

Pro
    Norwalk, Connecticut
    losta - 2009-04-29 8:42 AM Hmmmmm...Goals. I am awaiting a training plan for SheROX that begins May 11th. I plan to try to follow that as I see fit. Between now and then I just want to keep up what I'm doing since I just started up from complete couch potato April 12th.

I feel fitter, I lost some weight (my clothes are loose and feel I may be back to a smaller size within a few weeks) I'm eating better and yesterday I wasn't even tempted by some free bagels and muffins that were available, so I consider myself well on my way but I have very far to go.

I am even thinking of signing up for another sprint tri that is about 6 weeks after my first.

Thanks everyone for the inspires and posts they have all been interesting and supportive. I'm still trying to get the hang of this site. How does everyone know others training, do you look individually at everyones log? Is there an easier way that comes with paid membership? Any tips on that?

Nope, check everyones log is the best way. the memberships give you better training plans, live chat and some other stuff, i found it well worth the $$$. congrats on the weight loss and looser fitting clothes, there is no better feeling than getting into something that never used to fit!!!

2009-04-29 3:10 PM

User image

Master

Hey there fellow mentees.  Hope everyone is well.  I have been crazy busy at work...I'm a travel agent and one of our most popular destinations from Arkansas is Mexico (it's cheap and easy to get to from here).  The phone has been ringing for 2 days straight.  As soon as I get caught up on reading, I'm out of town and can't type, but I am checking in.  Between work and a sick kiddo, there hasn't been much training going on  We were really looking forward to vacation next week (Cancun), but we may be pushing that back a month or so.  Just gonna hang out and see what happens in the next few days. 

We are officially on the downhill slide to the weekend

2009-04-29 3:33 PM

User image

Champion
    Beautiful Sonoma County
    Hi guys! Just checking in... looks like everyone is doing well!

I got a new inhaler for my asthma, and have already taken the first dose. So far, so good.  I may go for a short run this evening to move my legs. If not this evening, then for sure tomorrow. Since I'm officially tapering for my race on Sat, I think it's probably OK to be a bit lax on workouts this week.  But next week...

... I'll start training in earnest for our 80 mile bike ride around Lake Tahoe in June. My longest ride over the last couple of months has only been about 40 miles. So, I'll need to ramp up the mileage on my weekly long ride, as well as work on some serious intervals to help me deal with the bigger climbs.

I'd also like to set a goal to continue cleaning up my eating, and maybe even put a number down for weight loss...  but I'm still debating that. I have a tendency to set goals that are a bit too high for reality, and get disappointed when I don't meet them.  Maybe if I just say "I'll weigh less at the end of May than I did at the beginning..."
    2009-04-29 4:03 PM
    in reply to: #2119085

User image

Master
    Metro NY Area
    I like this goal!

madkat - 2009-04-29 4:33 PM ..... Maybe if I just say "I'll weigh less at the end of May than I did at the beginning..."
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Super Cats Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 58