BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KSH's Mentor Group! Let's do this! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2010-01-28 1:03 PM
in reply to: #2557497

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras
Subject: RE: KSH's Mentor Group! Let's do this! CLOSED
Hey guys,

A quick question... I posted this on the main board http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=194467&posts=20&start=1.

I am looking at buying a trisuit and a few out there suggested that for longer races it is best to have a two piece. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Gerry

2010-01-28 8:10 PM
in reply to: #2639028

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
justtrichris - 2010-01-27 10:13 PM

Tania, I am the wrong person to ask about rest/recovery!  I am technically on day three of rest!  This was not planned, and for the first time in years, I do not feel guilty about taking  few days.  When I look at my logs, I'm proud of what I've done the past month, so a few days break is okay for January.  You should be proud of what you've done too, and allow yourself a true rest day (or two) to recover.  I especially don't feel guilty because the season hasn't truly started yet.  I think I just needed a physical and mental (more mental) break.  Next week, I am going full force again, and I consider February 1st my first official day of training.  Don't get me wrong, this isn't a zero training week.  It's just a super-easy week.  So, the moral of my story... if you take a day or two off, you will not lose any fitness or gains.  In fact, you will most likely come back stronger!

Great advice and attitude right there!

I'm all about balance! I took a quiz in Runner's magazine... and I came out as a perfectly balance athlete.

I think if you want to have longevity in this sport, you have to find balance... between friends, family, training, rest days, and just plain 'ol fun stuff.

I have seen and met too many people who get into tri's and go INSANE training their first year. They buy all the gear, train all the time... and after that year... they MIGHT make it another year. Usually they are done and I never see/hear from them again.

I contribute me being in the sport for 6 years... to the fact that in the "off season" I back off a little. My training plan isn't as strict and I cut myself some slack. I also don't focus on going full force in all 3 disciplines.

I truly believe this has kept in the sport as long as I have been. Otherwise, mentally, I would get bored and plain wore out.

I haven't been on my bike because it's cold. Sure, I ride the trainer, but not too much. Once it's warm again I'll be ready to ride! Whereas at the end of last season I was bored with the same old routes, etc.

Rest is good.

2010-01-28 9:20 PM
in reply to: #2640369

Veteran
Cincinnati, OH
gerrydiego - 2010-01-28 2:03 PM Hey guys,

A quick question... I posted this on the main board http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=194467&posts=20&start=1.

I am looking at buying a trisuit and a few out there suggested that for longer races it is best to have a two piece. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Gerry

Gerry,

Even in my one season of sprints, I've already had a race or two with many pre-race trips to the bathroom.  I'm SOOO glad I had a two-piece tri suit, not a one-piece.  Imagine wrestling a wet and clingy one-piece during a race where time counts!  I feel like that's a distraction I don't need.

Cheryl
2010-01-28 10:03 PM
in reply to: #2640369

User image

Veteran
gerrydiego - 2010-01-28 1:03 PM Hey guys,

Thanks

Gerry
 Like most things it probably boils down to personal preference.  With that being said, I prefer the 2 piece option and I love the one I have.  It is an LG - Louis Garneau.  I am pretty sure it is his "Pro" line.  When I first got it, I timed myself in the pool, fastest split ever for me and felt great in the water.  I wore it under a wetsuit in the aquabike 70.3 I did, and it felt great on the bike.  We have athletes that have worn it for the full 70.3 and Ironman distance as well.  Everyone in my club that has it (it is our uniform) loves it.  If you are interested in more information, I can find out what model we have and if you are sure on size, I think I can get a slight discount on any of his line.

http://www.louisgarneau.com/us-en/product/305591/0850330/_/MEN_PRO_SHORTS 
http://www.louisgarneau.com/us-en/product/0/0820484/_/MEN_PRO_SLEEVELESS 
2010-01-29 10:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
Happy Friiiiidaaay!!!

Gerry, I haven't done long course (yet) but my fave tri suit is the 2 piece Zoot Ultra. I like because it's comfy and as Margie stated easier to go to the restroom in. I trained in it alot and it's holding up very well so far.

So, I know good advice when I see it, I did yoga last night and today will be a full day off. I am type A personality and do get a bit on the obsessive side of things. I think Karen, your advice on balance is something I need to really remember to work on. It's even in my goals section of my blogs! Ha! I tend to be an all or nothing type of person. After my last tri in October, November and December my blogs were all about partying and dating. When I'm off, I'm off and when I'm on, I'm on.  Thank you all for all the replys and advice. That's why I love BT. 

I hope everyone has a great weekend and happy training!
2010-01-29 1:03 PM
in reply to: #2642387

User image

Veteran
tnguyen1 - 2010-01-29 10:24 AM Happy Friiiiidaaay!!!

Gerry, I haven't done long course (yet) but my fave tri suit is the 2 piece Zoot Ultra. I like because it's comfy and as Margie stated easier to go to the restroom in. I trained in it alot and it's holding up very well so far.

So, I know good advice when I see it, I did yoga last night and today will be a full day off. I am type A personality and do get a bit on the obsessive side of things. I think Karen, your advice on balance is something I need to really remember to work on. It's even in my goals section of my blogs! Ha! I tend to be an all or nothing type of person. After my last tri in October, November and December my blogs were all about partying and dating. When I'm off, I'm off and when I'm on, I'm on.  Thank you all for all the replys and advice. That's why I love BT. 

Uhm, I....uhm.......ah.....well......uhhhgggghhhh

2010-01-29 2:55 PM
in reply to: #2642848

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
Big_D - 2010-01-29 1:03 PM

You alright there Derek? Got a stuttering problem?
2010-01-29 3:03 PM

User image

New user
Sandusky
hello group! I hope everyone is having a great week! I'm looking forward to the weekend.  I feel like I've been in a funk lately.  My workouts have been tough and I've been struggling with my diet.  I've been trying to hit my calories based on dailyplate but i feel like it's a lot of calories to consume.  I'm trying to find the balance of how much food I should eat based on how much I am exercising. I dont' want to restrict my food intake too much so that my body goes into starvation mode.  I don't know, I feel like I read so much literature about calorie intake, protein intake, fat intake, etc. and it's all different information! ugh..Sorry to be whiny.

I'm going to a nutrition seminar at my gym on Saturday morning so maybe the dietician can shed some light on my concerns. 

This week has been a light week for me.  On monday I did a weight training/cardio class and it stunk. I left feeling underworked and a little stiff so I've been taking it easy on my workouts so my body can rest and be ready for next week! Tonight I am going to the gym to run on the readmill. 

I'm actually still toying with the idea of training for a half marathon. I found a plan that suits my fitness level a bit more and maybe try the training plan and see what happens.  If I find that running the longer distances is hurting my feet or causing them to fall asleep (I pronate so this has hhappened to me when I ran in high school).   My friend is planning on running so it would give me motivation to have a workout buddy!

Anyway, I hope everyone has a great weekend!
2010-01-29 3:12 PM
in reply to: #2643227

User image

Veteran
tnguyen1 - 2010-01-29 2:55 PM
Big_D - 2010-01-29 1:03 PM

You alright there Derek? Got a stuttering problem?
No Problem here, have you had your hearing checked lately?
2010-01-29 3:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Hi guys. Happy Friday!

I'm also taking it easy today. I stretched my leg a bit weird yesterday morning and ended up having a pretty bad pain in my left shin all day yesterday. Skipped my run last night, iced and elevated my leg and felt better this morning when I woke up. I'm taking today off too just to make sure I don't aggravate it again, and I'll hopefully be back at it with training tomorrow. I'm being really conservative since my half marathon is a week from Sunday! Have a fun weekend everyone!
2010-01-29 6:51 PM
in reply to: #2641543

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras
Big_D - 2010-01-28 10:03 PMLike most things it probably boils down to personal preference.  With that being said, I prefer the 2 piece option and I love the one I have.  It is an LG - Louis Garneau.  I am pretty sure it is his "Pro" line.  When I first got it, I timed myself in the pool, fastest split ever for me and felt great in the water.  I wore it under a wetsuit in the aquabike 70.3 I did, and it felt great on the bike.  We have athletes that have worn it for the full 70.3 and Ironman distance as well.  Everyone in my club that has it (it is our uniform) loves it.  If you are interested in more information, I can find out what model we have and if you are sure on size, I think I can get a slight discount on any of his line.

Thanks guys for the input. Its starting to look like 2 piece is the better option.

Derek, I looked at the links and they are nice, but not on the cheap side :-( I will look around at two pieces and let you guys know what I decide.

Erin, I would go ahead with the training for the Half. If you feel like its too much you can always cut back. For me having a goal to push myself is a huge motivator.

Tania, good luck on relaxing and taking it easy :-)

Margot, hope it heals quickly. I am sure you will be more than ready for the Half...

G

2010-01-29 8:12 PM
in reply to: #2643244

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
erin.kelsey - 2010-01-29 3:03 PM

hello group! I hope everyone is having a great week! I'm looking forward to the weekend.  I feel like I've been in a funk lately.  My workouts have been tough and I've been struggling with my diet.  I've been trying to hit my calories based on dailyplate but i feel like it's a lot of calories to consume.  I'm trying to find the balance of how much food I should eat based on how much I am exercising. I dont' want to restrict my food intake too much so that my body goes into starvation mode.  I don't know, I feel like I read so much literature about calorie intake, protein intake, fat intake, etc. and it's all different information! ugh..Sorry to be whiny.

I'm going to a nutrition seminar at my gym on Saturday morning so maybe the dietician can shed some light on my concerns. 

This week has been a light week for me.  On monday I did a weight training/cardio class and it stunk. I left feeling underworked and a little stiff so I've been taking it easy on my workouts so my body can rest and be ready for next week! Tonight I am going to the gym to run on the readmill. 

I'm actually still toying with the idea of training for a half marathon. I found a plan that suits my fitness level a bit more and maybe try the training plan and see what happens.  If I find that running the longer distances is hurting my feet or causing them to fall asleep (I pronate so this has hhappened to me when I ran in high school).   My friend is planning on running so it would give me motivation to have a workout buddy!

Anyway, I hope everyone has a great weekend!

OK, I forgot to mention... what that site calculates for you... is wrong. I mean really, it's wrong.

It said I needed to eat a lot more calories a day than what I needed to, to lose weight.

So if the scale is not being kind... then you are probably eating too many calories if you are going off what it told you.

Hang in there! You will get it right!

2010-01-29 8:16 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Well I'm scheduled to run a half marathon in the morning- and it's just a training run.

And it's going to be in the mid 20's. OK, I'm the girl who doesn't run outside if it's below 50. Really. Sure I sucked it up for a half mary last year and a marathon... but those were with my friend.

This is a freaking training run and I have my NASM test at 3:00 PM.

Which I am NOT prepared for. If I fail my test... I have to keep studying AND pay $100.00.

Anyways... I can run 12 miles (as my plan called for)... next weekend when I'm jock strapping at the Rocky Raccoon, where my cousin is running 100 miles and I'm pacing him for as many miles as I want. Of course it's a trail and in the dark. eeeekkkk!!!!

Have a great weekend all, I'm off to study!

2010-01-29 8:17 PM
in reply to: #2643312

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
calimavs - 2010-01-29 3:32 PM

Hi guys. Happy Friday!

I'm also taking it easy today. I stretched my leg a bit weird yesterday morning and ended up having a pretty bad pain in my left shin all day yesterday. Skipped my run last night, iced and elevated my leg and felt better this morning when I woke up. I'm taking today off too just to make sure I don't aggravate it again, and I'll hopefully be back at it with training tomorrow. I'm being really conservative since my half marathon is a week from Sunday! Have a fun weekend everyone!

Good call on resting!

2010-01-29 9:30 PM
in reply to: #2643665

User image

Veteran
gerrydiego - 2010-01-29 6:51 PM
Big_D - 2010-01-28 10:03 PMLike most things it probably boils down to personal preference.  With that being said, I prefer the 2 piece option and I love the one I have.  It is an LG - Louis Garneau.  I am pretty sure it is his "Pro" line.  When I first got it, I timed myself in the pool, fastest split ever for me and felt great in the water.  I wore it under a wetsuit in the aquabike 70.3 I did, and it felt great on the bike.  We have athletes that have worn it for the full 70.3 and Ironman distance as well.  Everyone in my club that has it (it is our uniform) loves it.  If you are interested in more information, I can find out what model we have and if you are sure on size, I think I can get a slight discount on any of his line.

Thanks guys for the input. Its starting to look like 2 piece is the better option.

Derek, I looked at the links and they are nice, but not on the cheap side :-( I will look around at two pieces and let you guys know what I decide.

Erin, I would go ahead with the training for the Half. If you feel like its too much you can always cut back. For me having a goal to push myself is a huge motivator.

Tania, good luck on relaxing and taking it easy :-)

Margot, hope it heals quickly. I am sure you will be more than ready for the Half...

G
Yeah, not cheap at all but they are pretty nice. Luckily I worked a sweet deal being the club photographer. I think I might have access to a sample sale with them, I will check on pricing of those to see if they are closer to what you had in mind. Also, I have a brand new Oomph Vortex Top style 28207 with tags still on it, size XL. $10 plus shipping. If that might fit, just let me know.http://www..com/catalog/item/4339817/6573903.htm
2010-01-29 10:02 PM
in reply to: #2632516

User image

Veteran
Chicago
KSH - 2010-01-24 10:40 PM
AngieF02 - 2010-01-24 9:05 PM I have a swim question:

What is your typical rest time between sets? do you give yourself a longer rest time if the set is longer or base it on clock time (i.e, less rest for the slowest swimmer). I have a sample swim plan I use occasionally but it doesn't provide the time to rests between sets. I was hoping to have some type of a measure.
Thanks!
Well take longer rest intervals (60 to 90 seconds) until you adjust to the demands of swimming. It is better to have great form and get more rest... than it is to get very little rest and have sloppy form. Once you get keep solid form... start lowering your rest interval. Also, depending on what kind of workout you are doing, your rest interval might change. If you are just working on speed and sprints, then a longer rest interval is OK (:30-1:00). If you are working on endurance, then a shorter rest interval might be called for (:10-:15). When I was training for my 3 mile swim, I basically did something like 6x500 or 8x500 with :10 rest between each one. It just gave me time to move a penny over at the end of the pool (my counting method). But I was training my body to keep a steady speed for up to 3 miles. Just remember, the longer you rest, the more your body recovers. If you always let your body full recovery before the next set, you will never see any gains or push it to a new level. Your body adapts to the stressors placed on it. If you never put a new stress on it, it never adapts to a faster speed. Per my NASM book: 3 minutes will allow 100% recovery of ATP (adenosine triphosphate) and CP (creatine phosphate).

thanks for the information Karen. I do feel like I'm resting for too long sometime. I finally got a water resistant watch so I can have a little better control.  I will set your suggested times on my worksheet for each workout based on session (endurance or speed). I'm guessing for drill sets my rest should match that of the endurance? I'm slow regardless but i'm trying!

2010-01-30 9:52 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Hey, Hussybowler had a half marathon last weekend. Did she post results in our thread here?

Her goal was under 2 hours.

2010-01-30 7:46 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Test is done... and I am now a certified personal trainer with NASM!

Hope you are all having a great weekend!

2010-01-30 10:10 PM
in reply to: #2644992

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras

KSH - 2010-01-30 7:46 PM Test is done... and I am now a certified personal trainer with NASM! Hope you are all having a great weekend!

Congrats!!!! Have a glass of bubbly to celebrate!!

Derek, thanks for the offer on the oomph top. My chest and waist sizes fall on the large part of the size chart, but I do weigh closer to 193 lbs. So I am not sure if it would fit. What do you think?

2010-01-30 10:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago
KSH - 2010-01-30 7:46 PM Test is done... and I am now a certified personal trainer with NASM! Hope you are all having a great weekend!

AWESOME!!!!!! GREAT JOB!!!!
2010-01-31 1:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
KSH - 2010-01-30 5:46 PMTest is done... and I am now a certified personal trainer with NASM! Hope you are all having a great weekend!
Wohoo, congrats!

2010-01-31 11:09 PM

User image

New user
Sandusky
Congratulations!! That is so exciting!
2010-02-01 8:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison

Karen congrats!!! I'm so happy for you Smile

Alright new month! Here are my numbers. I matched my run and swim hours wise, ha! Pretty happy with my run volume though, this is the most I've ever run! Um, biking numbers pathetically low.  How did everyone's January go?

January's totals:
Bike:3h 20m
Run:11h 32m 14s  - 61.98 Mi
Swim:11h 35m  - 24280.8 Yd
Strength:4h 00m
24 HRS ABS CLASS:1h 15m
Stretching:17m
Walking:20m
Yoga:1h 00m

2010-02-01 10:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras
Nice totals... Here are mine:
Monthly totals:
S:  10081.00 M - 3h 55m 25s
B:  276.98 KM - 10h 37m 48s
R:  107.09 KM - 11h 33m

Also the most I've ever run and biked :-)
2010-02-01 11:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Oh oh.....

January's totals:

Bike: 55m - 19 Mi
Run: 8h 40m 42s - 59.37 Mi
Swim: 1h 51m 45s - 6000 Yd
Hot Tub 1h 15m ;)

Beginning weight 201 ending weight 199; body fat beginning 16.8 - ending 15.7.
Interesting part is my leg muscle mass evened out, the "injured" leg gained muscle back in January.

Is this a triathlon website? I guess I forgot. On the up side, my January run totals were more than all of 2009 combined = no more knee injury.

Edited by Big_D 2010-02-01 12:27 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KSH's Mentor Group! Let's do this! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 27