BT Development Mentor Program Archives » amschrod's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2010-07-08 5:13 AM
in reply to: #2774068

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Subject: RE: amschrod's mentor group - FULL
Your Timberman Sprint sounds fun...with your training, you are going to crush it.  

For my next race I am going to get out and ride more and do more core/weight training.  The running will come with time and no need to build speed...yet.  I enjoy biking and have actually grown to enjoy swimming more.  Since my next race is a little shorter on the swim and know I can swim the distance and in seaweed, I will add more intervals into my swim workouts. 

As long as Anthony isn't a Yankees fan he is okay!  I am a Red Sox's fan, from waaaay back.  My brother is also a Jets fan so I can live with that...LOL.

PS. check out this website for race photos...http://www.asiorders.com/view_event.asp?EVENTID=65768  my bid# 1458. 

Edited by scott1223 2010-07-08 5:22 AM

2010-07-08 12:19 PM
in reply to: #2966254

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-07-07 2:25 PM
amschrod - 2010-07-07 12:33 PM Warren, not only do you run faster than me, you type faster as well

Anthony

Or I just have no life!  Have you decided on a HIM yet?  I'm doing the Timberman sprint and our cottage is 3 miles down the road from the start. 

That weekend is the end of my summer vacation, but I'd try to get over there for the Sunday half if you do it.  I'd offer you to come for the weekend and experience the Bayek chaos, but I don't know if a Mets or Jets fan would be allowed!

Haven't decided which HIM yet, but unfortunately I will not be doing Timberman this year. It is a great race in a fantastic location, but doesn't really fit in for me this year. I will be back someday though because that race kicked my backside twice and I have to get my revenge.

Mets and Red Sox fans should be able to get along since we have a common evil enemy, but I don't know about Pats and Jets fans. That could be a little tense

Anthony
2010-07-08 12:55 PM

User image

NH
Scott, those are some good pics.  You look like you really enjoyed the race.  I always look like a scorpion just bit me in my pics!  Sounds like a great plan to focus on the bike.  You can really hit it harder than running with less wear and tear on the body. 

Anthony, I'm really way more of a Sox fan, and since the win in 2004 the 1986 debacle hurts a lot less, so we're good.  I actually spent some childhood in Texas, so like all good Texas boys I'm a Cowboys fan first.  The Pats are really a nice distraction now that they're good, but no real problems with the Jets.

In terms of the Timberman, it should be a fun race though it is a pretty tough course.  Essentially the spring is a few short hills, then one big up and down, turn around and do it again.  So very hilly and the road is nasty with potholes and such.  But it's my home course since I ride at least parts of it almost every weekend in the summer, so I felt compelled to do it.  That will be my first huge race as there are usually over a 1000 people in the sprint, so that has me a little freaked!
2010-07-08 4:41 PM
in reply to: #2968682

User image

Expert
Scott, those are some fantastic pictures! Looks like you were having a great time out there.

I always look bad in race pics. Here I am at the finish of my race a couple weeks ago. At least you can tell I was really trying. My wife saw this pic, got worried and said I was going to have a heart attack at a race some day. Since I am a modern, sensitive kind of guy, I told her she had nothing to worry about................since my life insurance is paid up.

Anthony
2010-07-08 5:28 PM
in reply to: #2968682

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-07-08 1:55 PM Anthony, I'm really way more of a Sox fan, and since the win in 2004 the 1986 debacle hurts a lot less, so we're good.  I actually spent some childhood in Texas, so like all good Texas boys I'm a Cowboys fan first.  The Pats are really a nice distraction now that they're good, but no real problems with the Jets.

The Sox are my 3rd favorite AL team since I went to college near Boston and was lucky enough to see a few games at Fenway. The Twins are my second favorite since Ron Gardenhire was a Met, plus Joe Nathan is a local boy. My favorite AL team is whoever is playing the Yankees

In terms of the Timberman, it should be a fun race though it is a pretty tough course.  Essentially the spring is a few short hills, then one big up and down, turn around and do it again.  So very hilly and the road is nasty with potholes and such.  But it's my home course since I ride at least parts of it almost every weekend in the summer, so I felt compelled to do it.  That will be my first huge race as there are usually over a 1000 people in the sprint, so that has me a little freaked!

You will have a lot of fun at Timberman. I know what you mean about the potholes because I remember one part of the half course that is also part of the sprint where it was a real fast downhill with some rough pavement that made me a little nervous. That last downhill coming into transition is really nice for getting ready to run. Big events are a little freaky, but there is so much excitement in the air that gives them a very special feel.

Anthony
2010-07-09 5:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Thanks guys for your kind comments about my race photos.  I don't remember who said it but someone said when you see the camera smile.  As you can see I did that.  I did have fun even though on the run I had LOTS of bad words...lol.  Work has been busy and I promise to post a couple of photos. 

Anthony, I agree with you, whoever is playing the Yankees is my favorite.  I've been watching the Sox, will be dating myself...when Yaz, Rice, Remey, Lynn, Eck all played.  My son is an Orioles fan (I am sorry too)  but we always manage to get tickets to the O's v Sox.  A few times anyway.  I get in trouble for rooting for the Sox.   As for football we are Ravens fans, looking forward to a good year.

Now as for training work is taking a large part of my time.  Need a job that I can get paid to train.
Off to work another 12hr shift

PS. Anthony you do have a determined look, I don't see that you are ready to keel over. 

Edited by scott1223 2010-07-09 5:33 AM

2010-07-12 10:55 AM

User image

NH
Anthony, that picture looks just like all of my running pics!  Pained look on face, camera snapped the shot just when it looks like you're hardly moving.  Perfect!  Laughing

Scott, it must be challenging fitting in training with 12 hour shifts.  Good job doing all you can.  I never notice the cameras on the course, so I guess I have to start paying more attention.

We have a group of Sox fans who go to Baltimore every year to catch the Sox down there.  Much easier tix to snag than Fenway, which is next to impossible to get tix for.  I can't get over how many people cheer against the Yanks!  Warms my heart.  But why do we get so much satisfaction out of cheering AGAINST a team?  I think I actually get more satisfaction out of the Yankees losing than the Sox winning.  I always wonder if that makes me a small person!
2010-07-13 6:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD

I probably would not have noticed all the photographers on the course, but someone mentioned that when you see one, SMILE...so I put on a smile, while I was crying inside...lol.

If you manage to come down this way, let me know. I would love to see a game with a group of Sox fans.

As for my work schedule, it isn't kind since I've had my race.  It seems if I do not get my workout in the am (early, before 6) it will not happen. Most days are 8hrs, but since July it has been overtime...I need another vacation

2010-07-14 6:35 PM
in reply to: #2977012

User image

Expert
Hey folks, how's it going? Sorry I haven't checked in in a while. A little stressed and busy at work the last week or so.

Scott, I like how you called my look "determined". I think I kinda look like a fish out of water gasping for oxygen.

Warren, it's OK to root against the Yankees, after all they are ....... the Yankees. Pretty hard to explain sometimes. Just like it was hard to explain to my wife that, no, I didn't get caught in the pouring rain on my run Saturday morning. I went out in the pouring rain on purpose. My first game was actually at Yankee Stadium with the Red Sox in town. Not sure why my father brought us there, since he was a Brooklyn Dodger fan that became a Mets fan. It was '65, so it was pretty cool for a 7 year old to see Mantle and Yaz play.

I decided to sign up for a race this coming Sunday: 1/3 mile swim, 18 mile bike, and 3.5 mile run. Short swim, long bike for a sprint, and a hilly run all play to my strengths, such as they are. I plan to hammer the bike, and then go out pretty hard on the run and see if I can hang on. Last did this race in my first season back in '06, so it will be interesting to compare.

Keep up the good work everyone!
2010-07-14 8:29 PM

User image

NH
Well, a little bragging for me today.  I used to ride a loop I call the cemetery loop a lot, and prior to this year 51:22 was my PR.  It's 14.3 miles and has some nice hills.  Over the winter I set a goal of 45:00, which I thought was nuts.  I did it 2 months ago in 49:15, but I haven't ridden the route since then due to construction, which was finally done this week.

Tuesday is bike TT day, so I did the route yesterday hammering the hills as hard as I could, standing and hammering.  I've never stood on hills before, but I wanted to try it.  I nailed the course in 43:51!  Massive PR.  I really think the standing had a lot to do with it.  On the steep hills, I kept the speed up through the whole climb and then was able to get back to speed a LOT faster on the other side.

I have to take solace in training victories since my races seem to always have issues!
2010-07-15 2:58 PM
in reply to: #2981809

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-07-14 9:29 PM Well, a little bragging for me today.  I used to ride a loop I call the cemetery loop a lot, and prior to this year 51:22 was my PR.  It's 14.3 miles and has some nice hills.  Over the winter I set a goal of 45:00, which I thought was nuts.  I did it 2 months ago in 49:15, but I haven't ridden the route since then due to construction, which was finally done this week.

Tuesday is bike TT day, so I did the route yesterday hammering the hills as hard as I could, standing and hammering.  I've never stood on hills before, but I wanted to try it.  I nailed the course in 43:51!  Massive PR.  I really think the standing had a lot to do with it.  On the steep hills, I kept the speed up through the whole climb and then was able to get back to speed a LOT faster on the other side.

I have to take solace in training victories since my races seem to always have issues!

Congratulations!! You shouldn't just brag a little, you should brag a lot

I like the way you kept up your speed, so you could really finish the hill and get right back up to speed. Finishing a hill like that takes both mental and physical toughness. Well done!!

Anthony

2010-07-15 7:08 PM

User image

Wilmington NC
Hey guys, I have been off the grid for a bit.  Motivation has been kinda low.  I have a bunch of friends that are in a yahoo group which we log our food and exercise for the day.  I have been delegated the "quote of the day" girl.  I thought I would share with you guys too.

yesterdays was
 Motivation
 There's a difference between interest and commitment.  When you're intersted in doing something, you do it only when it's convenient.  When you're commited to something, you accept no excuses -only results.
 Today
There are no short cuts to any place worth going.
Paula
2010-07-16 10:26 AM

User image

NH
That's good Jenna.  It's true that interests fit in when you're interested, commitments are very different.  I think that's why we need a goal - like a target race. 

Without the half iron staring me in the face I'm sure that a lot of these early morning rides and runs would turn into more sleep.
2010-07-17 5:26 AM

User image

Wilmington NC
It's hard to beat a person who never gives up!
2010-07-17 11:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Warren I agree with Anthony...you should brag ALOT!  That is awesome...give yourself the credit you deserve, way to go!!!.

Paula, I like your Motivation quote.."Motivation-  There's a difference between interest and commitment.  When you're intersted in doing something, you do it only when it's convenient.  When you're commited to something, you accept no excuses -only results". 

Maybe you can post your quotes on our form...keeps me motivated.

Anthony Good Luck on your race this Sunday.  Way to go just jumping in a race.  The race is similar to the race I did, except your hills are probably a tad bigger.  Let us know how it goes and l look forward to your race report.
2010-07-17 3:08 PM
in reply to: #2986954

User image

Expert
scott1223 - 2010-07-17 12:28 PM Warren I agree with Anthony...you should brag ALOT!  That is awesome...give yourself the credit you deserve, way to go!!!.

Absolutely. It took hard work .to get there

Paula, I like your Motivation quote.."Motivation-  There's a difference between interest and commitment.  When you're intersted in doing something, you do it only when it's convenient.  When you're commited to something, you accept no excuses -only results". 

Maybe you can post your quotes on our form...keeps me motivated.

Anthony Good Luck on your race this Sunday.  Way to go just jumping in a race.  The race is similar to the race I did, except your hills are probably a tad bigger.  Let us know how it goes and l look forward to your race report.

The mental aspect is so important. Getting your self out there to train really is a commitment. Then on race day you have to be confident in your training and your ability. All this week I have been reminding myself to really push myself on Sunday so that I can make the most of my ability and training. I KNOW that I can hammer that bike course and still have a good run, so now I just have to get out there and do it.

Thanks for the good luck wishes!

Anthony

2010-07-18 4:55 AM

User image

Wilmington NC
Quote of the day
Energy and persistance conquer all things!
2010-07-19 7:09 AM
in reply to: #2987723

User image

Expert
Hey everyone, hope your weekends were as good as mine. My race on Sunday went well:  33/82 overall and 4/6 in my AG. I missed 3rd in my AG by about 4 minutes. Had a little trouble in T1, my breathing and HR were out of control and I felt pretty nauseous, so it took me a little while to get going, and my t1 was 3 minutes!! Made the start of the bike difficult because it starts with a 125 ft. climb in the first half mile, and my breathing was still out of control. After a couple of miles I got settled in and had a very good ride. I think I just got seriously overheated on the swim. This wasn't a USAT event so they didn't use the wetsuit temp cutoff and I have a feeling the water was over 78. I know the water didn't really feel cool on my face or hands.

I had a good run also, and was able to pass a few people on the hills. Very hilly course: same first climb as on the bike, and 2 other climbs just like it. Believe it or not, my 9:25 pace put me in the top half overall.

I should finish my race report tonight or tomorrow. I'm going to go for a short, easy recovery ride, because I'm a little stiff and sore

ETA: Wouldn't you know, you can find the temperature of the Hudson River online. Yesterday at Poughkeepsie which is about 20 miles south of where I was, the Hudson was 80 degrees, so I think I was just overheated.

Anthony

Edited by amschrod 2010-07-19 7:15 AM
2010-07-19 9:50 AM

User image

NH
Nice race Anthony.  No doubt the heat and hills change the pace a LOT, particularly starting out with a hill.  That's also a high temp for a wetsuit, so it absolutely sounds like overheating.  The lake up here was 81 this weekend and I can't imagine putting a wetsuit on and doing a hard swim.

Nice job and get that race report up!
2010-07-19 7:41 PM

User image

Wilmington NC

Quote of the day
  The best inspiration is not to out do others, but to out do ourselves.

2010-07-20 8:07 AM
in reply to: #2991208

User image

NH
Roadtoad22 - 2010-07-19 8:41 PM

Quote of the day

This is great Paula.  Really internalizing that one is tough but important.

I get to report another huge PR on the bike this morning.  I did my typical time trial loop today, which I've been doing all summer.  I had slowly dropped my time down to a PR of 42:00 (20.0 MPH) last time out.  This morning I covered the distance in 39:46 (21.2 MPH).  I've definitely broken some sort of plateau on the bike I guess.  Still waiting for the running version of that!

2010-07-20 2:00 PM
in reply to: #2991208

User image

Expert

Quote of the day

I like this one. A lot!
2010-07-20 2:04 PM
in reply to: #2991826

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-07-20 9:07 AM

I get to report another huge PR on the bike this morning.  I did my typical time trial loop today, which I've been doing all summer.  I had slowly dropped my time down to a PR of 42:00 (20.0 MPH) last time out.  This morning I covered the distance in 39:46 (21.2 MPH).  I've definitely broken some sort of plateau on the bike I guess.  Still waiting for the running version of that!

That is fantastic! Keep up the good work. Don't worry, the running will come as long as you keep working at it. It just takes a little longer than the biking.
2010-07-20 6:22 PM
in reply to: #2991826

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
wbayek - 2010-07-20 9:07 AM

Quote of the day

This is great Paula.  Really internalizing that one is tough but important.

Warren you are taking Paula's "Quote of the Day" to heart...WAY TO GO!!!  I am also working on the faster running part...lol.  Great job again!
2010-07-20 7:15 PM

User image

Wilmington NC

Great job you guys!  I wish I had a PR to report these days but I am still chugging along slowly.  I have managed to recruit several ladies to train for a 1/2 marathon- I will be the "running coach" which helps keep me motivated too. 

Today's Quote
 There are only two options regarding commitment.  You're either IN or you're OUT.  There is no such thing as a life in between.
  (our families might not like this one!)
Paula

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » amschrod's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24