BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2010-06-23 9:01 PM
in reply to: #2940259

User image

Expert
MI
Subject: RE: Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED
Well, all day today I ate less than I usually do (or so I think), and the last time I ate was around 3p (a bagel with cream cheese), so about 3 hours prior to the race start.  (Race start was at 6p.)  I did have a hammer gel 15-20 minutes before the start which I've never had before, but I really don't think that was the problem... or maybe it was who knows... I got the gel for free at my last tri so decided to consume it.  I had a GU gel about 15-30 minutes before the start of my half marathon and thought it was fine, so thought I'd try it here too.  Figure I'd like the extra calories since it seems like I was going for so long without food.  (Also, it may be worth noting, as soon as I got on the bike I was thinking about how hungry I was...)  The drinking... I was just continually drinking throughout the day.  I pretty much always had a cup or bottle by my side, and in the 3 hours leading up to the race alone I probably had around 40oz of water, if not more... G2 powder form (gatorade), green tea, water. I am not sure if this is the problem, but I might try to drink less next time...

It could very well be that I went out too hard... when I got out of the water today I was all frazzled and such.  My mom yelled out at me and I barely had any energy to mutter anything back.  At my first tri, I came out of the water quite happily and had spotted my dad and freely waved and smiled lol.  But at that tri I also felt I didn't try so hard... I dunno, how should I be feeling after the swim?  Like the former, or latter?  Perhaps something inbetween.   I usually swim bilaterally in the pool, and during today's swim I would not have been able to do so because of the amount of effort I was putting forth.  Perhaps for my next tri, I will try to go at a pace which I will feel comfortable swimming bilaterally?  That way I will know that I am not expending too much energy.  Colin, please let me know what you think about this!  Pacing (for all three) is an area I can definitely use improvement!

2010-06-23 9:58 PM
in reply to: #2940317

User image

Wow, y'all are a great group.  It's awesome to see so many doing their races, but tough to see the injuries; hang in there and get healed up.

I've spent most of the past 2 months on the road, either working or at shooting competitions.  However, I've been training reasonably consistently.  

We had a death in the family last week while I was at Nationals, so I had to drive up here to Arkansas.  Fortunately my wife was nice enough to bring my wetsuit (she rules) on the airplane, so I'll be doing my first OWS tomorrow morning and I've been keeping up the running.  Borrowed my Dad's mountain bike for a few bike rides and really really longed for my road bike.  Wow, what a difference.  I never worked so hard for so few miles in my life.  I know I'm not fast, but that was ridiculous.

Have my first Tri (a mini) on July 11th in VA, so I'm really looking forward to that.  I'm still pretty slow at the swim, but I'm not worried about completing it.  Should be a good time though.  The "big one" is still in September, but I expect to get a few sprints in before that.

Keep up the good work everyone.  It's inspiring watching everyone succeed.  Very cool indeed.  I'll be joining the ranks of you triathletes in a few weeks.  Smile

Take Care,
Mark

Edited by mdgould 2010-06-23 9:58 PM
2010-06-24 8:17 AM
in reply to: #2940429

User image

Expert
MI
2010-06-24 1:10 PM
in reply to: #2940317

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
michgirlsk - 2010-06-23 10:01 PM Well, all day today I ate less than I usually do (or so I think), and the last time I ate was around 3p (a bagel with cream cheese), so about 3 hours prior to the race start.  (Race start was at 6p.)  I did have a hammer gel 15-20 minutes before the start which I've never had before, but I really don't think that was the problem... or maybe it was who knows... I got the gel for free at my last tri so decided to consume it.  I had a GU gel about 15-30 minutes before the start of my half marathon and thought it was fine, so thought I'd try it here too.  Figure I'd like the extra calories since it seems like I was going for so long without food.  (Also, it may be worth noting, as soon as I got on the bike I was thinking about how hungry I was...)  The drinking... I was just continually drinking throughout the day.  I pretty much always had a cup or bottle by my side, and in the 3 hours leading up to the race alone I probably had around 40oz of water, if not more... G2 powder form (gatorade), green tea, water. I am not sure if this is the problem, but I might try to drink less next time...

It could very well be that I went out too hard... when I got out of the water today I was all frazzled and such.  My mom yelled out at me and I barely had any energy to mutter anything back.  At my first tri, I came out of the water quite happily and had spotted my dad and freely waved and smiled lol.  But at that tri I also felt I didn't try so hard... I dunno, how should I be feeling after the swim?  Like the former, or latter?  Perhaps something inbetween.   I usually swim bilaterally in the pool, and during today's swim I would not have been able to do so because of the amount of effort I was putting forth.  Perhaps for my next tri, I will try to go at a pace which I will feel comfortable swimming bilaterally?  That way I will know that I am not expending too much energy.  Colin, please let me know what you think about this!  Pacing (for all three) is an area I can definitely use improvement!

Hey Samantha,

I just posted some comments on your RR so please take a look at that.

Overall, it sounds like your nutrition wasn't bad during the day.  However, that Hammer gel could have been a major problem.  I HIGHLY recommend to everyone that they NEVER try something new on race day.  Yes, the GU worked for you before your half marathon, but that's made by a different company and was probably a different flavor.

As for the race, coming out too fast on the swim really spiraled you downhill.  When you got out too hard in the swim, its extremely difficult for you body to rebound.

Lastly, you could have just been having a bad day.  Unfortunately these things happy.  I highly recommend you start practicing your on course nutrition during your training.  Especially as you gear up for your HIM, this is absolutely critical.
2010-06-24 1:34 PM
in reply to: #2940429

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
mdgould - 2010-06-23 10:58 PM Wow, y'all are a great group.  It's awesome to see so many doing their races, but tough to see the injuries; hang in there and get healed up.

I've spent most of the past 2 months on the road, either working or at shooting competitions.  However, I've been training reasonably consistently.  

We had a death in the family last week while I was at Nationals, so I had to drive up here to Arkansas.  Fortunately my wife was nice enough to bring my wetsuit (she rules) on the airplane, so I'll be doing my first OWS tomorrow morning and I've been keeping up the running.  Borrowed my Dad's mountain bike for a few bike rides and really really longed for my road bike.  Wow, what a difference.  I never worked so hard for so few miles in my life.  I know I'm not fast, but that was ridiculous.

Have my first Tri (a mini) on July 11th in VA, so I'm really looking forward to that.  I'm still pretty slow at the swim, but I'm not worried about completing it.  Should be a good time though.  The "big one" is still in September, but I expect to get a few sprints in before that.

Keep up the good work everyone.  It's inspiring watching everyone succeed.  Very cool indeed.  I'll be joining the ranks of you triathletes in a few weeks.  Smile

Take Care,
Mark

Great to hear from you Mark!!!  I thought we lost ya.

I'm very happy to hear you've been keeping up with your training and I hope everything with your shooting competitions have gone well.  Lol, yeah, there's a little difference between a mountain bike and a road bike, huh?  Don't worry, you'll be back on your road bike very soon I'm sure.

I'm very sorry to hear about the death in the family.  I hope you and your family are coping with it as well as possible.

Thanks for posting Mark.  I know you're going to be great in your first tri and I look forward to calling you an triathlete Smile
2010-06-24 2:07 PM
in reply to: #2941747

User image

Expert
MI
Thanks a lot Colin.

Tongue out umm yes, I have repeatedly heard "nothing new on race day," as well as GU and Hammer possibly acting different.... oops, I decided to ignore that, ha.  Okay, I will try not to ignore such things in the future.

Hammer products are what's going to be on the course during the HIM, so I hope that wasn't the problem!

For my next tri I'll try to take it easy for the swim.  I definitely don't want to set myself up for failure right from the beginning.

I'm definitely happy about doing these sprints, because like you said, they are great learning experiences!

My foot- Yell um yeah, really didn't think much about it during the run... today it's hurting.  Honestly I may have run more than a few steps on it without thinking, because I caught myself doing that a few times (mostly at the start of runs like during transitions), so I'm hoping that's the reason, as opposed to it hurting from the toe running. During the run I was more concerned about my cramping than my foot, so!  The only thing I really know to do is rest.  Also in thinking rationally about the HIM.  I don't know what's going to happen between now and then with the foot and run training, but I e-mailed the RD today about switching down to the sprint or Olympic, and he said no problem, so at least I do have that option...

At this point I'm becoming a bit concerned about my lack of running.  I know it's not an absolute substitute, but I may start doing the elliptical...

The most frustrating thing about this all is that this foot problem isn't a result of training or anything related, it was from my clumsiness... or something like that!

2010-06-25 10:32 AM
in reply to: #2941953

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
michgirlsk - 2010-06-24 3:07 PM Thanks a lot Colin.

Tongue out umm yes, I have repeatedly heard "nothing new on race day," as well as GU and Hammer possibly acting different.... oops, I decided to ignore that, ha.  Okay, I will try not to ignore such things in the future.

Hammer products are what's going to be on the course during the HIM, so I hope that wasn't the problem!

For my next tri I'll try to take it easy for the swim.  I definitely don't want to set myself up for failure right from the beginning.

I'm definitely happy about doing these sprints, because like you said, they are great learning experiences!

My foot- Yell um yeah, really didn't think much about it during the run... today it's hurting.  Honestly I may have run more than a few steps on it without thinking, because I caught myself doing that a few times (mostly at the start of runs like during transitions), so I'm hoping that's the reason, as opposed to it hurting from the toe running. During the run I was more concerned about my cramping than my foot, so!  The only thing I really know to do is rest.  Also in thinking rationally about the HIM.  I don't know what's going to happen between now and then with the foot and run training, but I e-mailed the RD today about switching down to the sprint or Olympic, and he said no problem, so at least I do have that option...

At this point I'm becoming a bit concerned about my lack of running.  I know it's not an absolute substitute, but I may start doing the elliptical...

The most frustrating thing about this all is that this foot problem isn't a result of training or anything related, it was from my clumsiness... or something like that!

Hey Samantha,

That's very good news about the HIM race.  I certainly hope it doesn't come to that, but at least that option is available.  I was really surprised to hear that the rd was fine with that because most of the ones around here won't let you change anything whatsoever.

Giving the elliptical a try is a great idea.  At this point, you're better off letting it rest than trying to push through because it doesn't sound like its getting any better.  This is an unfortunate situation and I know its not what you want to hear, but rest is the best option.  However, have you considered doing pool running?  Its a little bit of a strange concept, but there are many elite athletes that actually doing pool running workouts even when their healthy, but is quite common for injured athletes.  I would definitely look into that.
2010-06-25 5:19 PM
in reply to: #2776638

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Hello Guys

Man what a week this has been, I'm in the heating and air conditioning business and it has been extremely busy,  been having to try and work the workouts in..After long days in the heat pushing through the training is tough.. Was suppose to swim today for 1 hour 17 min. but could only mustard 25 min. in open water, the water temp. was 90 degrees way to hot...I will try and get it over the weekend hopefully one morning... Colin as long as I get my time in weather it be at one time or split up over the week I should be okay for my next Olympic tri on July 11th don't you think... I've logged a bunch of training hours since Dec. 2009.. This week I had to do most of my running at 4-5am in the morning do to the workload.. Thanks for the help... Hope all is well with our other members..

Tim(1)
2010-06-26 8:43 PM
in reply to: #2944811

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
shake-n-bake - 2010-06-25 6:19 PM Hello Guys

Man what a week this has been, I'm in the heating and air conditioning business and it has been extremely busy,  been having to try and work the workouts in..After long days in the heat pushing through the training is tough.. Was suppose to swim today for 1 hour 17 min. but could only mustard 25 min. in open water, the water temp. was 90 degrees way to hot...I will try and get it over the weekend hopefully one morning... Colin as long as I get my time in weather it be at one time or split up over the week I should be okay for my next Olympic tri on July 11th don't you think... I've logged a bunch of training hours since Dec. 2009.. This week I had to do most of my running at 4-5am in the morning do to the workload.. Thanks for the help... Hope all is well with our other members..

Tim(1)

Hey Tim,

That's a great question.  At this point and especially with how consistent you have been with your training, I wouldn't be worried about not getting all the recommended workouts in.  90 degree water?  Wow!  I'm impressed you got 25 minutes in.  In general, its important not too worry about it when you have to cut the occasion workout short or miss a workout because something comes up.  Unfortunately, none of us are pro athletes and work among other things can get in the way.  The important thing is to not let it bother you and just do what you can with the time you have.

With that said, make sure you're getting enough sleep.  If you're having to get up early and/or stay late at work because you're busy, make sure you're getting your sleep.  As long as this isn't a common occurrence, you're probably better off bagging the workout and getting enough rest.  Remember, your training isn't going to do too much for you if you don't give your body time to recover.

Great job Tim.
2010-06-27 5:40 PM
in reply to: #2945910

User image

Expert
MI
Colin, would you say the stairmaster may be a better alternative than the elliptical?  I just thought of this as I was climbing the stairs at home as I was thinking I need something that I can do as a replacement for running.  (In the past when I've done the elliptical it just doesn't seem like I work as hard as when I am running.)  But I have always thought the stairclimber can be quite tiring, although I haven't been on it much (there's probably a reason for that. )  So perhaps it will be a better cardio workout, and thus a better substitute for running?  As I've mentioned, being on the toes isn't really a problem... I've thought about running on the toes, but I think that might be a bit too much impact and might also affect the bad part of my foot.  (I was going to test this out with a short 1-2 mile run tomorrow, if I can even get that far without pain.) But with climbing stairs there's not as much pressure being on the foot.

Okay, I've said a lot, most of which could have probably been left out Laughing, but basically, what do you think about the stairmaster vs elliptical as a substitute for running?  As always, thanks for your thoughts!
2010-06-27 5:42 PM
in reply to: #2945910

User image

Expert
MI
hockeyhands - 2010-06-26 9:43 PM
shake-n-bake - 2010-06-25 6:19 PM Hello Guys

Tim(1)

Hey Tim,

That's a great question.  At this point and especially with how consistent you have been with your training, I wouldn't be worried about not getting all the recommended workouts in.  90 degree water?  Wow!  I'm impressed you got 25 minutes in.  In general, its important not too worry about it when you have to cut the occasion workout short or miss a workout because something comes up.  Unfortunately, none of us are pro athletes and work among other things can get in the way.  The important thing is to not let it bother you and just do what you can with the time you have.

With that said, make sure you're getting enough sleep.  If you're having to get up early and/or stay late at work because you're busy, make sure you're getting your sleep.  As long as this isn't a common occurrence, you're probably better off bagging the workout and getting enough rest.  Remember, your training isn't going to do too much for you if you don't give your body time to recover.

Great job Tim.

I agree with Colin!  Sleep is very important! Laughing

2010-06-27 6:42 PM
in reply to: #2946784

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
michgirlsk - 2010-06-27 6:40 PM Colin, would you say the stairmaster may be a better alternative than the elliptical?  I just thought of this as I was climbing the stairs at home as I was thinking I need something that I can do as a replacement for running.  (In the past when I've done the elliptical it just doesn't seem like I work as hard as when I am running.)  But I have always thought the stairclimber can be quite tiring, although I haven't been on it much (there's probably a reason for that. )  So perhaps it will be a better cardio workout, and thus a better substitute for running?  As I've mentioned, being on the toes isn't really a problem... I've thought about running on the toes, but I think that might be a bit too much impact and might also affect the bad part of my foot.  (I was going to test this out with a short 1-2 mile run tomorrow, if I can even get that far without pain.) But with climbing stairs there's not as much pressure being on the foot.

Okay, I've said a lot, most of which could have probably been left out Laughing, but basically, what do you think about the stairmaster vs elliptical as a substitute for running?  As always, thanks for your thoughts!

Interesting thought Samantha.  At first, I thought the elliptical was a great idea because it puts very little pressure on your put.  As a result, you're still able to get some cardio in and the elliptical is a similar motion to running.  However, yes, as you said, the stairmaster will most likely be a more difficult cardio workout.  With that said, I would give the stairmaster a shot.  However, if it causes ANY pain, switch to the elliptical.  If it doesn't hurt at all on either, you may want to do workouts on both just to mix it up.
2010-06-27 8:21 PM
in reply to: #2946884

User image

Expert
MI
Thanks!  I'll give the stairmaster a try.  Honestly, it gets me more excited because I feel it will work me a bit more.  I was actually dreading the elliptical a bit because I didn't think it would be enough.  I do like the idea of mixing it up so I'll probably still do the elliptical too.
2010-07-01 4:55 PM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Hi Everyone,

Its been a little quiet on here the last few days, but hopefully its just because everyone is out there doing so much training Smile

I'm taking tomorrow off from work and going tubing down a local river with my girlfriend's family (after a trip to the pool in the morning of course) so I probably won't be on the computer much tomorrow.  With that said, I hope everyone has an awesome 4th of July weekend!
2010-07-01 8:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Colin

Still been busy at work, got up the other morning to go for a run and about 15 minutes in a freaking dog got me on my leg, advice to our members carry something with you just in case!! Everything should be fine.. I'm heading to Florida tomorrow for the fourth with family, I will get my runs in while I'm there... My next Olympic triathlon is July 11th!! My training log has me planned for a  47min bike/ 30 min. swim on the 5th, 23 min. run on the 6th, and bike 1hr 18 min/ run 31 min on the 8th.. does this look okay or do you need to modify for me?? Leaving for the event on the 10th..about a five hour drive.. Thank You!

Hope everyone has has a great fourth!!

Tim(1)
2010-07-01 9:09 PM
in reply to: #2956838

User image

Veteran
Hi!  I know I've been quiet, but I wanted to check in.  I feel like my training is going well.  Here's a little update:

Swim:  getting faster while keeping my stroke count the same.  My husband says he'll go with me to Lake Michigan for an open water swim.  I grew up in San Diego, going to the beach all the time, and have swam (swum?) in a lot of different oceans/seas/lakes, so I'm hoping this will not be too challenging.  The biggest problem is that the lake is so darn cold!!

Bike:  Better.  I've been riding both indoors and out.  My greatest challenge on the bike now is that I don't have any place to ride that isn't filled with cars, pedestrians, runners, other bikers, roller bladers, dogs, strollers, etc.  Living in the city, its tough to find a place to ride and really see how fast I can go for how long.  Does anyone else have this problem, and what are your solutions?

Run:  Had a few really rough runs, but on the whole things are coming along.  I'm not at all concerned about the running portion of the tri, but I still am increasing milage for the half-marathon.  

Right now, I just have questions about logistical stuff.  Silly as it may sound, I feel like I don't have anything to wear in the tri!  What am I supposed to wear?  When should I start doing brick workouts?  How do you practice transitions?  I'm 2 months out right now, so any advice is appreciated!

Sarah 

2010-07-02 9:30 PM
in reply to: #2957126

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
shake-n-bake - 2010-07-01 9:56 PM Colin

Still been busy at work, got up the other morning to go for a run and about 15 minutes in a freaking dog got me on my leg, advice to our members carry something with you just in case!! Everything should be fine.. I'm heading to Florida tomorrow for the fourth with family, I will get my runs in while I'm there... My next Olympic triathlon is July 11th!! My training log has me planned for a  47min bike/ 30 min. swim on the 5th, 23 min. run on the 6th, and bike 1hr 18 min/ run 31 min on the 8th.. does this look okay or do you need to modify for me?? Leaving for the event on the 10th..about a five hour drive.. Thank You!

Tim(1)

Oh my gosh Tim!   Very sorry to hear this.  That is terrible, but I'm glad to hear you're ok.  That's must have been pretty scary.  Just curious, what kind of dog was it?
2010-07-02 9:42 PM
in reply to: #2957150

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
sbright - 2010-07-01 10:09 PM Hi!  I know I've been quiet, but I wanted to check in.  I feel like my training is going well.  Here's a little update:

Swim:  getting faster while keeping my stroke count the same.  My husband says he'll go with me to Lake Michigan for an open water swim.  I grew up in San Diego, going to the beach all the time, and have swam (swum?) in a lot of different oceans/seas/lakes, so I'm hoping this will not be too challenging.  The biggest problem is that the lake is so darn cold!!

Bike:  Better.  I've been riding both indoors and out.  My greatest challenge on the bike now is that I don't have any place to ride that isn't filled with cars, pedestrians, runners, other bikers, roller bladers, dogs, strollers, etc.  Living in the city, its tough to find a place to ride and really see how fast I can go for how long.  Does anyone else have this problem, and what are your solutions?

Run:  Had a few really rough runs, but on the whole things are coming along.  I'm not at all concerned about the running portion of the tri, but I still am increasing milage for the half-marathon.  

Right now, I just have questions about logistical stuff.  Silly as it may sound, I feel like I don't have anything to wear in the tri!  What am I supposed to wear?  When should I start doing brick workouts?  How do you practice transitions?  I'm 2 months out right now, so any advice is appreciated!

Sarah 

Great stuff Sarah!  Glad to hear you're training is going well.

As for your questions, here ya go:

For what to wear, Samantha and the woman may want to chime in on this, but I'd recommend wearing some tri shorts and any kind of athletic top.  Are you planning to wear a wetsuit during the race?  This will factor into your decision as to what you will wear the rest of the tri.

I would recommend start doing brick workouts now.  I recommend 1 brick workout a week pretty doing all phases of the training cycle, but 2 months out should be a good time to start if you haven't already.  The majority of these should be bike to run bricks and you can start off easy.  This week or whenever you feel ready, try throwing a 15-20 minute run onto the back of a bike ride.  This will be critical practice for you.

There are a few ways to practice transitions.  However, living in the city may make this a little more difficult.  What I do is go to a quiet street and just setup a small transition area near a tree or something that you can rest your bike on.  Then I just practice the complete process of both the swim to bike and bike to run process at least 15-20 times.  I usually do this a couple times a year.  So I literally get on my bike and ride off for about 30-45 seconds, then turn around and head back in like I was finishing the bike, and actually run off for 15-20 seconds.  This will also be tremendous practice for you!

Oh yeah, as for your biking in the city issue, that is a very common problem.  Unfortunately the only recommendations I have are to either drive out to a quieter area and do your rides starting from there or spend some more time on the bike trainer.  I know neither are ideal, but unfortunately you city folk have this issue.

Keep it up Sarah!  If you need any clarification or would like me to elaborate on anything, please let me know.
2010-07-02 9:44 PM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Hi Everyone,

I just came across a great read/video about swim pacing and how poorly most people are at doing it.  If you're interested, please check out this link.  It was created by Swim Smooth which is a great swimming school and almost all of the information they have is outstanding!
2010-07-03 11:10 AM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Hi again everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that your mentor is now a certified USAT coach!  I got my certificate in the mail today and I'm pretty happy to be certified.

Have a great weekend!
2010-07-04 8:55 AM
in reply to: #2959227

User image

Veteran
Georgia
hockeyhands - 2010-07-02 10:30 PM

Tim(1)

Oh my gosh Tim!   Very sorry to hear this.  That is terrible, but I'm glad to hear you're ok.  That's must have been pretty scary.  Just curious, what kind of dog was it?
It was a mixed breed and animal control has had no luck on catching the dog..on the other hand how does my taper sound for next week or do we need to modify..thanksAlso Congrats on the USAT certification that is awesome!!!!!!Happy Fourth of July to everyone...Tim(1)

2010-07-05 2:09 PM
in reply to: #2959239

User image

Expert
MI
Congrats Colin! Laughing

Sarah, as for the what to wear question, I'm assuming you don't have any official tri clothes and don't really want to make the investment for your first tri... in which case I think it'll depend on what you currently own.  What I've worn for my triathlons are cycling shorts and I guess what you'd call an athletic top. I didn't want to make any tri specific purchases, and these were clothes I already had.  So I think one option would be to wear the tightest workout wear you have.  (You don't really want to be dragging too much along during the swim.)  I had swam in my clothes before so I knew I'd be alright.  Whatever you wear, I would test it out beforehand so you know you'll be comfortable with it during the race.  (for both the swim and the wetness during the bike/run... which honestly isn't a big deal at all, but just so you'll know!)

OR... even easier, if you're comfortable with it, just wear your swimsuit during the swim, and then throw clothes on during transition.  I would especially practice this so you'll know how to quickest get on your clothes.  And you'll probably want looser fitting clothes so it'll be easier to put on while you're wet.  You actually wouldn't even need to put anything on if you don't want to I'd think.  All about your comfort.  I guess there are people who just wear their swimsuit the whole race.  But at minimum, you'll want to wear something to be able to pin your race bib onto... or maybe you already have a race belt from your running races?  I don't, so I pinned my bib onto a pair of shorts and slipped them on during transition.

Hopefully this gives you some ideas, good luck!
2010-07-05 2:21 PM
in reply to: #2957126

User image

Expert
MI
Tim, that is precisely why I dislike dogs. Smile  I am always soooo afraid they are going to come after me!  Even if it's a puny looking dog.

Okay, as for my training.  Well all week I had been running two miles at a time, the left foot on my toes.  It didn't seem to be causing me any problems.  Yesterday we (family) went to a local state park for the 4th, which is connected to a metro park and has an 8ish mile loop (running/biking path), and it totally made me want to run the loop.  So I did.  There was a bit of walking (like a half a mile) involved, but otherwise I slowly ran the loop (on toes for the left foot.)  The only problem I encountered (other than getting really tired Laughing) was the constant pressure on the balls of my feet, and this being the biggest problem is a good thing!  Today my ankle feels sore, but just because of the constant position my foot was in while running.  So basically, I am feeling much better about running now!  And I am feeling MUCH more optimistic about the running portion of my HIM.  I think I can continue on with some run training.  This makes me quite happy.
2010-07-05 9:03 PM
in reply to: #2960421

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
shake-n-bake - 2010-07-04 9:55 AM
hockeyhands - 2010-07-02 10:30 PM

Hi Tim,

I would recommend some adjustments to your taper as that brick workout seems too long for only a couple days before the race.  I can't see the exact plan for each workout, only the time, but there is a lot of volume in there.  I would drop the brick ride down to about 40-45 minutes, cut the run to 20 and switch that workout with the one planned for tomorrow.  However, if you don't get this in time, shorten the brick ride to about 25-30 min and the run to about 15 min with some race pace intervals in there on each.  After that, I'd do a short 10-15 minute swim on Friday and then 15-20 min ride and a 10-15 min run on Saturday.

How does that sound?

2010-07-05 9:07 PM
in reply to: #2961863

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
michgirlsk - 2010-07-05 3:09 PM Congrats Colin! Laughing

Sarah, as for the what to wear question, I'm assuming you don't have any official tri clothes and don't really want to make the investment for your first tri... in which case I think it'll depend on what you currently own.  What I've worn for my triathlons are cycling shorts and I guess what you'd call an athletic top. I didn't want to make any tri specific purchases, and these were clothes I already had.  So I think one option would be to wear the tightest workout wear you have.  (You don't really want to be dragging too much along during the swim.)  I had swam in my clothes before so I knew I'd be alright.  Whatever you wear, I would test it out beforehand so you know you'll be comfortable with it during the race.  (for both the swim and the wetness during the bike/run... which honestly isn't a big deal at all, but just so you'll know!)

OR... even easier, if you're comfortable with it, just wear your swimsuit during the swim, and then throw clothes on during transition.  I would especially practice this so you'll know how to quickest get on your clothes.  And you'll probably want looser fitting clothes so it'll be easier to put on while you're wet.  You actually wouldn't even need to put anything on if you don't want to I'd think.  All about your comfort.  I guess there are people who just wear their swimsuit the whole race.  But at minimum, you'll want to wear something to be able to pin your race bib onto... or maybe you already have a race belt from your running races?  I don't, so I pinned my bib onto a pair of shorts and slipped them on during transition.

Hopefully this gives you some ideas, good luck!

Great job Samantha!  That's great news.  However, I would be careful about running too much on it still.  I know you've altered your form to accommodate the injury, but its not good to do too much running with distorted form.  Have you done anything on the elliptical or stairmaster yet?  I'd like to know how that is.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 24