Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2011-01-09 7:26 PM
in reply to: #3256300

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Subject: RE: Razorxp Group Is CLOSED
Tim you go right ahead.  There are lots of training vids and some great repair manuals.  Bicycling mag. has a good one.  I think learning how to repair and maintain and build bikes have been a blast.   I've cut the cost of my tritanium LaMond and my Orbea Ordu in half by building the parts and building them up.  A friend did the Ordu one night when he was bored.  The Ti was for a class...I built it under the watchful eye of a friend in front of 30 people in about 2 hours.

The BB is not hard with the right tools.  Good thing to know too.

2011-01-09 9:01 PM
in reply to: #3288743

User image

Expert
I have stated this before in this group - QUALITY OVER QUANTITY.  I think mentally it is good to know you can go the distance but do those long miles all the time and you are asking for injuries.  I would say follow the plan and get the most out of each workout.  If you can do 3 hours on the bike you will be fine for the HIM.  Don't get obsessed with miles.

cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-01-09 6:58 PM Help!Undecided
I am second guessing my training plan choice. I had thought I was going to use the free HIM training plan here on BT, however, I am worried about the amount of bike/ run time. The longest bike seems to be 3 hours? and the longest run is 2 hours. I feel like there is no way I will reach the mileage with those times. I want to finish strong, not crawling across the finish line because I didn't get enough mileage in during training.

So, I am thinking maybe I should go with a mileage plan after all.

Somebody else posted this http://competitor.com/2010/09/sports/triathlon/super-simple-ironman-70-3-triathlon-training-plan_6442   

Any thoughts? suggestions?

I feel like I need to be set on this already - time is a ticking.
2011-01-09 9:02 PM
in reply to: #3288790

User image

Expert
Thanks Scott - I'll let you know how it goes.

IceManScott - 2011-01-09 7:26 PM Tim you go right ahead.  There are lots of training vids and some great repair manuals.  Bicycling mag. has a good one.  I think learning how to repair and maintain and build bikes have been a blast.   I've cut the cost of my tritanium LaMond and my Orbea Ordu in half by building the parts and building them up.  A friend did the Ordu one night when he was bored.  The Ti was for a class...I built it under the watchful eye of a friend in front of 30 people in about 2 hours.

The BB is not hard with the right tools.  Good thing to know too.

2011-01-10 7:03 AM
in reply to: #3286928

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-01-08 4:34 PM Ran 2 miles before the race as a 'warm up', then managed a 9:35 average pace for the 5k finishing in exactly 30 mins.

My new PB! Though granted, it's not the '5 minute god miles' that some of you are peeling off Wink

Am I ever going to live that down? LOL

KC
2011-01-10 7:18 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hi Everyone.

I am back after a great and busy weekend of curling in the 125th Annual Detroit Curling Club Bonspiel. I had a great time, my team won our bracket and I am ready to get back at it.

This weeks goals - 1) Committ to a couple of races (I know I have been promising to do this but I am going to find the time this week) 2) Get back in the pool after a bit of an abscence - it opens today and I am ready to try it againSmile. 3) Start working out again.

Have a great week everyone.

KC

2011-01-10 7:43 AM
in reply to: #3288706

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
razorxp - 2011-01-09 6:36 PM Scott I love your logic, the CT paid for itself..lol  It is true not to mention alot safer.

Jason, I used to lift pretty heavy and was around 215.  I would say my natural weight is around 190 if eating like a normal person and not doing too much crazy food.  I have  a major sweet tooth that I all but cut out when I start training and I only drink once per month in season so I go from ultra strict to letting loose over the holidays. I overdo it because I know its short lived.  I am just under 6' too, I will tell you if your serious about this sport every pound makes a HUGE difference in your performance.  If your doing it for fun don't worry about the weight, I would much rather be 200 as I like being bigger I hate being scrawy.  I am doing it for fun but also want to see how much I can improve. 

Seriously Dave, you can use that as a sales pitch.  It will work!  Kathy bought it

I've been lifting more this winter and I love the results.  Stronger core for one which helps everything, stronger shoulders and arms for the swim.  Cutting time in the the water.  Plus Kathy tells me now she thought my legs looked massive but my upper body was scrawny last year.  No excuse for it.  I have a great weight machine and bought a few free weights, a medicine ball and kettle bells.   Stronger is better as long as I'm not carrying a lot of extra bulk I don't need.  Lots of reps of low to moderate weights has been key plus planks, pikes, box pushups, etc.  I actually am enjoying it.

2011-01-10 7:46 AM
in reply to: #3289307

Burlington
KC - Glad to hear your curling adventure was fun! Hope you have a good training week!

My goals this are to continue my training with a couple of two-a-days (swimming in the morning before work! AAHH!) and continue not to overdo it on the shins.  It's very tempting to keep running beyond the 3-mile mark...especially with the new shoes.
2011-01-10 10:17 AM

User image

springfield il
Hi everyone,
Missed you all, and hope all is going well. It will take me a little time to catch up on all posts, but I will!

My goals this week is to make each of my work outs, and make them count. I also think I need to add some more strength to my routine, especially upper body. My upper back arms and shoulders are sore pretty much all the time right now.

I have also found evidence of a springfield tri club, but at least their website is pretty inactive. Hoping to find a training buddy locally as well. But we will see

Did some good research on road bikes this weekend and enjoyed browsing the bike shops. What suggestions do you have for a road bike? (would love a tri-bike but figure I need to work up to that) What kind of things would watch for or make sure to look for? besides fit that's a given!

Blessings Marys
2011-01-10 10:30 AM
in reply to: #3289769

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
mfspears - 2011-01-10 11:17 AM Hi everyone,
Missed you all, and hope all is going well. It will take me a little time to catch up on all posts, but I will!

My goals this week is to make each of my work outs, and make them count. I also think I need to add some more strength to my routine, especially upper body. My upper back arms and shoulders are sore pretty much all the time right now.

I have also found evidence of a springfield tri club, but at least their website is pretty inactive. Hoping to find a training buddy locally as well. But we will see

Did some good research on road bikes this weekend and enjoyed browsing the bike shops. What suggestions do you have for a road bike? (would love a tri-bike but figure I need to work up to that) What kind of things would watch for or make sure to look for? besides fit that's a given!

Blessings Marys

Nice to have you back Marry,

This is just my advice not knowing you very well or your financial situation.  When I started I bought a road bike and right away put money into it to make it a tri bike.  Then I bought a mid level tri bike and wanted a better bike.  So now I have a awesome bike plus a great training bike and a road bike with areo bars and extra parts.  If you plan on doing tri's then I would advise buying a tri bike. If you just want to ride a bike then road is the way to go.  I have 5 friends that did the same thing so the bike shops love us but we "wasted" alot of money in 3 bikes vrs 1 bike. 
2011-01-10 10:41 AM
in reply to: #3289836

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
razorxp - 2011-01-10 11:30 AM
mfspears - 2011-01-10 11:17 AM Hi everyone,

Blessings Marys

Nice to have you back Marry,

This is just my advice not knowing you very well or your financial situation.  When I started I bought a road bike and right away put money into it to make it a tri bike.  Then I bought a mid level tri bike and wanted a better bike.  So now I have a awesome bike plus a great training bike and a road bike with areo bars and extra parts.  If you plan on doing tri's then I would advise buying a tri bike. If you just want to ride a bike then road is the way to go.  I have 5 friends that did the same thing so the bike shops love us but we "wasted" alot of money in 3 bikes vrs 1 bike. 

Hi Coach and Mary.

When I decided to get into late this last year I asked around and decided to buy a road bike, got fitted and added the aero bars. I am sure, if I stick with it, I will probably buy an aero bike late this year. My first Tri-a-Tri was done with a Hybrid.

Have a great day.

KC
2011-01-10 10:54 AM
in reply to: #3289769

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
mfspears - 2011-01-10 10:17 AM Hi everyone,

Blessings Marys

I'll check with the woman here who runs the triathlons to see if she has any Springfield contacts.

Also, BT has a video on your question.   http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=... />
The upshot is that if you KNOW you are going to stick with the sport, there are advantages to the tri bike...faster bike split and easier on the running legs. But, if you are unsure or if you plan to only buy one bike in your life, this guy (granted a LBS owner) thinks a road bike is best.    You can put on aero bars on a road bike but many group rides discourage tri bikes because the brake levers are farther away from your hands when you are on the aero bars.   If you get a decent road bike, you'll always have a bike to ride with friends and to put on a trainer or to commute with you can always step up later to a tri bike when you are sure you will stay with it. 

Also, don't be afraid of used bikes. Many have been lightly ridden by people who didn't stick with it or were ridden by people who love bikes and took care of them. Shop around.  Russell's in Washington has a lot of used. There may be a shop closer to you that has some good used bikes.  Just be sure to get measured for a new bike at an LBS so you know what size you are looking for.  Downside, no warranties.

2011-01-10 10:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL
Workout 1 down - now I need to manage my schedule today to get in 1100 yds in the pool before spin class!

Wish me luck!
2011-01-10 12:35 PM

User image

New user

Hey  y'all, Sorry I've been MIA. I've been transitioning to a new floor in the hospital this week. Plus, I've been kind of under the weather. Sleeping lots and eating lots of soup.

I went for a chilly run today with my friend shannon who is just starting running. we're running a 5k in a few weeks in Raleigh. it'll be her first one!

I'm really just kind of trying to get back into the swing of things, drop some lbs, and feel better about myself. right now, i'm really not. gah..

anyway, happy monday and second week of jan everyone!
2011-01-10 12:58 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Back in the pool for the first time since the New Year came. As you may know I am a very very very very beginner swimmer. Today it was just nice to get back in the water and I was not afraid of it today. I am starting to embrace it I think. I will be back with my swim coach starting next Monday but will have a few hours between now and then to just get more comfortable in the H20 and work on drills to help smooth out my rhythm and action. I am trying to be patient with it and I am putting faith in the fact that it will get better and it will come. Wish me luck.

That is all I have time for today unfortunately. I am back in the class room this week since it is the start of the new semester here at the college so I am going to be tight for workout time but I will do my best to squeeze it in.

Welcome Back Mary.

KC 

2011-01-10 1:23 PM
in reply to: #3287809

User image

Veteran
IceManScott - 2011-01-09 8:45 AM The 2X 20 min all out time trial for FTP was very hard as you can imagine.  I've been back to all out workouts only 2 weeks. I knew I would lose some top end.  The coach says that is just fine.  No one should carry 100% of the peak threshold power 365, he says.   I haven't seen final results.  I think I am 275-280, down from 300.  If so, that isn't so bad considering 8 weeks off the bike, 2 weeks on.  If that is where I am starting in the dead of winter at the very beginning of the workout year, that is a very good place to be.  With the right VO2, base and FTP workouts, I'll be back in the swing by March when the time trials start here and well ready the first triathlon of the year in June.    All good.

I did a brick after that 45 mins of fartleks.  FYI, the Vision Fitness treadmills do go to 15%. 

Today I am down for two hour 65% base ride.  I may fire up the Real Course Video and see what that's all about.

You all seem to be doing great. 

As far as a bike fit goes, they are a must have.  I was riding my Obea after building it up with only the cursory fit and my back was killing me at 25 miles.  I asked and asked two fitters to raise me up and they adjusted other things saying I had to stay aero and get used to it  Avoid these people like the plague.   If you aren't comfortable, you can't push hard, period.   So I went to a third, told him that I wanted to be raised up.  I got raised up far up, still aero enough and very comfortable.  Two weeks later I did really well on the half IM bike course in 25 mph gusts.  It's set up now that I am confident I can do all day on it.  

A stem shouldn't cost you $155.  More like $55 maybe.  Depends on what it's made out of.

One thing I've learned - you can cost yourself money by trying to fix things without knowing how.  I talked the local community college into offering a bike repair course, I found the instructor, got them together and we had repair through building.  I know enough to do tune ups, change chains, change cables, clean the drive train, and I've built a bike with someone looking over my shoulder.    Well worth it.  Everyone should know how to change flats, adjust their shifters and brakes at the very least and how to get home or to the finish line if you break a spoke and the wheel goes out of true. They aren't hard and the LBS will be glad to show you.  Everybody wants to know too so ask them to host your club for a night on simple bike repair.  Mine is always hapy to do it...gets people in the store and they sell things.

Have a great day.

hey scott.  could you explain FTP?  

2011-01-10 1:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Coldfoot, Alaska
Well finished my workouts for the day. Run/Swim today and then had  BBQ chicken for lunch. Very good. Swim time wasn't terrible. Averaged 2:45 for 400 which is about 1 min faster than I swam my last race in. Good news - the city pool has decided to allow lap swimming during the open pool times as all the kiddies are in school so I have a proper 25m pool to swim in again! Now if I can just find someone to give me lessons....argh!  

Goal for the week: hit all my workouts.  

2011-01-10 1:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Here's an article on functional threshold power from Training Peaks, which is one of the main websites devoted to training with power meters.:
https://www.trainingpeaks.com/hunter/whatisthreshold.asp

"The million dollar question! It seems that everyone has their own definition of what your 'threshold' is. Some say that it is the point at which you begin to accumulate lactate in the blood, some say it is the point at which the lactate in your blood begins to accumulate exponentially, while others say threshold is the heart rate or wattage that you can maintain for one hour. All of these definitions have merit and we'll let the exercise physiologists debate the definition, but for our purposes in developing the correct training plan for you, we will define 'threshold' as the average wattage that you can sustain over a 20 minute test. This is often referred to as your 'functional threshold'."

The importance is that workouts are based on it much like workouts can be based on heart zones.    If my FTP is 300, then a longer endurance race might be done at 225 or 75%, a time trial of 12.5 miles at 300 or 100%, a base ride would be 50%, an hard VO2 efforts might be short bursts at 110, 120 or 130% or more.  With a power meter I can be precise and know that I am doing the effort as prescribed rather than being sluggish due to tiredness or illness or overdoing because I happen to feel good one day.  My coach can tell me exactly what effort to do for how long.  The goals are to maximize power and fitness in the shortest time while avoiding injury.    Heart meters do the same but are not as precise.  The heart rate can be affected by other things and in short efforts, the HR won't change fast enough.  With a power meter, the results are what they are.  I can also upload my power tract from a power meter into Training Peaks where my coach can read it...power, duration, cadence, and heart rate.   What can I say?  I'm a numbers guy.  Also, it increases the efficiency of the work0outs so I get more back for the time I invest.  That may not matter to you youngsters, but to someone pushing 60, I have to get as fit as I can as fast as I can.  

Edited by IceManScott 2011-01-10 2:09 PM
2011-01-10 3:33 PM
in reply to: #3290454

User image

Veteran
IceManScott - 2011-01-10 1:54 PM Here's an article on functional threshold power from Training Peaks, which is one of the main websites devoted to training with power meters.:
https://www.trainingpeaks.com/hunter/whatisthreshold.asp

"The million dollar question! It seems that everyone has their own definition of what your 'threshold' is. Some say that it is the point at which you begin to accumulate lactate in the blood, some say it is the point at which the lactate in your blood begins to accumulate exponentially, while others say threshold is the heart rate or wattage that you can maintain for one hour. All of these definitions have merit and we'll let the exercise physiologists debate the definition, but for our purposes in developing the correct training plan for you, we will define 'threshold' as the average wattage that you can sustain over a 20 minute test. This is often referred to as your 'functional threshold'."

The importance is that workouts are based on it much like workouts can be based on heart zones.    If my FTP is 300, then a longer endurance race might be done at 225 or 75%, a time trial of 12.5 miles at 300 or 100%, a base ride would be 50%, an hard VO2 efforts might be short bursts at 110, 120 or 130% or more.  With a power meter I can be precise and know that I am doing the effort as prescribed rather than being sluggish due to tiredness or illness or overdoing because I happen to feel good one day.  My coach can tell me exactly what effort to do for how long.  The goals are to maximize power and fitness in the shortest time while avoiding injury.    Heart meters do the same but are not as precise.  The heart rate can be affected by other things and in short efforts, the HR won't change fast enough.  With a power meter, the results are what they are.  I can also upload my power tract from a power meter into Training Peaks where my coach can read it...power, duration, cadence, and heart rate.   What can I say?  I'm a numbers guy.  Also, it increases the efficiency of the work0outs so I get more back for the time I invest.  That may not matter to you youngsters, but to someone pushing 60, I have to get as fit as I can as fast as I can.  

great explanation-  you should teach.   

thank you
2011-01-10 6:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL
Swim workout done.  Spin class in 30 min.

Lots of good dialogue on Lactate Threshold testing etc.  I went the lazy route and got tested on the run a couple of years ago.  I'm guessing the results are not valid for use.  I'll probably get tested again soon.
2011-01-10 9:01 PM
in reply to: #3291100

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
robburkett - 2011-01-10 7:16 PM Swim workout done.  Spin class in 30 min.

Lots of good dialogue on Lactate Threshold testing etc.  I went the lazy route and got tested on the run a couple of years ago.  I'm guessing the results are not valid for use.  I'll probably get tested again soon.

Actually if you had your blood tested that is the best way to do it.  People like lance sit in a lab and have blood drawn every few mins so they can see when lactate is in his blood.

Everyone is doing great on the workouts, Marry nice to see your back at it.  Erin great run & swim!!

So KC what class are you teaching right now? Our club pro could use some help... opps was that out loud lol
2011-01-10 9:08 PM
in reply to: #3291402

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL
razorxp - 2011-01-10 9:01 PM

Actually if you had your blood tested that is the best way to do it.  People like lance sit in a lab and have blood drawn every few mins so they can see when lactate is in his blood.

Everyone is doing great on the workouts, Marry nice to see your back at it.  Erin great run & swim!!

So KC what class are you teaching right now? Our club pro could use some help... opps was that out loud lol

I probably confused the question.  I did VO2 Max testing to get my running zones.  I want to do both run and bike soon though.

2011-01-10 10:32 PM
in reply to: #3291402

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
razorxp - 2011-01-10 10:01 PM

Hey Coach. I have a full load in my program. I actually teach 6 classes - very busy - to be honest I am in overload but I promise I will find time to grind out the workouts Smile

However, I could probably find some time for consulting work - let me know what he needs help with LOL.

I hope everyone had a nice day.

KC
2011-01-11 7:10 AM
in reply to: #3291573

User image

Regular
Augusta, GA
I haven't been able to work out yet this week because of the weather.  I can use my treadmill, but don't like it as much as the road.  I hope the weather clears up.  We live in the south for a reason!  I hope everyone else is doing great. 
2011-01-11 12:05 PM
in reply to: #3291790

User image

Expert
Usually something is better than nothingWink  get out there and run in the snow.  Its FUN!!!

ltcsh1 - 2011-01-11 7:10 AM I haven't been able to work out yet this week because of the weather.  I can use my treadmill, but don't like it as much as the road.  I hope the weather clears up.  We live in the south for a reason!  I hope everyone else is doing great. 
2011-01-11 12:20 PM

User image

Expert
I am getting somewhat concerned about my weight as it keeps steadily rising.  I have been pretty consistent at 165 for the past year and got down to 159 for my HIM in September.  I backed off training a little bit in NOV/DEC and gained a litttle weight expecting that I would just lose it when I went back into full gear after x-mas.  The problem is it keeps going up.  I got on scale today and was 172.

Last season i determined that I was not eating correctly and usually found myself dragging by Wed/Thu and would drop a workout or cut back which was frustrating.  My thinking is that I was not re-fueling correctly.  I have been reading this book and following the formulas and even created a spreadsheet with all the formulas from the book for different types of workouts and refuealing needs regarding carbs, protein and fat.  I have been shooting for 400-450g of carbs, 82g protein and 66g fat in my diet on days I workout.  Depending on what I am doing I am usually shooting for 2800 to 3600 calories.

I have been feeling great and have not found myself tired but do you think I am eating too much?  It doesn't feel that way but like I said I am not dropping the weight like normal.  Maybe last season since I wasn't eating correctly I was losing too much weight?

Another thing is that I have been lifting again for the past 2 months so i am wondering if the extra weight is muscle?

Any thoughts or comments woudl be appreciated - thanks!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp Group Is CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 76