BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Allison and Ryan's Beginner Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2011-05-14 4:43 PM
in reply to: #3276373

User image

Coastal Carolina
Subject: RE: Allison and Ryan's Beginner Mentor Group - FULL

so I was checking up on my race and I am racing in the 30-34 year old category but my 30th isn't until October, I know why I need to race in it but dang c'mon people I'd stay in 25-29 all year happily...Also decided to race in age group instead of Novice group which worked out well as I am only 1 of 13 vs 1 of 20 if I had took the Novice category

Going to miss the run due to dinner plans but I can make it up tomorrow w/o a big deal

Edited by Tripopo 2011-05-14 4:47 PM

2011-05-14 5:45 PM

Extreme Veteran

I'm more than happy to race in an older group if it gives me an advantage. Wink

But then I suspect that I'm going to get passed alot not matter the age group so I don't think it really matters. 

Looking forward to the race report!

2011-05-14 5:48 PM

Extreme Veteran

Yes.  I am weak.

I caved and bought some new toys.

2011-05-14 5:50 PM

Extreme Veteran
2011-05-14 8:13 PM
in reply to: #3499178

User image

Regular
Davenport, Iowa
Your bike looks great.  Let us know if you like the arm rest things.  I think it would be hard to stear.
2011-05-14 8:20 PM
in reply to: #3498692

User image

Regular
Davenport, Iowa
I agree that it gets easier after a few more practice bricks.  My tri is 5 weeks away and from now on anytime I ride i am going to run a bit afterwards.  Even if it is only a half mile.  I did not stretch during transition. Before my last tri I read to ride on easy speeds at the end of the bike ride.  It is supposed to make the transition easier.  After crossing the line where you had to get off the bike. I had to run with my bike for about 100 yards before transition area.  Then I switched stuff and off I ran.  It was much easier in the race than in practice because of the excitement.  I really didn't notice my legs feeling heavy like I did during practice bricks.  I was just glad finally be to the run part.

2011-05-15 6:55 AM

User image

Coastal Carolina
nice looking bike, a friend was going to loan me some aerobars but I'm not sure if I want to use them on my 1st tri after not using them to train think I might just stay in the drops
2011-05-15 7:04 AM

Extreme Veteran

Thanks.

Yeah.  I wouldn't use them unless you were used to them.  I've ridden aerobars in the past (like 15 years ago) but still only decided to put these on since I have a little more than a month to get used to them.  Also had my fitter take a look at my position as well. 

I was farely comfortable with them on my ride yesterday morning.  For the 15 or so miles I was by myself I rode on the aerobars.  The only thing that bothered me were sore triceps but I suspect that as I get used to riding on the aerobars that I'll get stronger there. 

Manuverability is definitely down but I felt pretty stable the entire time.

2011-05-15 2:34 PM

User image

Coastal Carolina
I have a question, my race is going to be a mass start with approx 250 people on a beach.  I should be putting in a 500 time of around 9 minutes if training holds constant, have done as low as 8:30.  Looking at the swim times from last year that is going to put me on the faster end of things.  Should I try to be in the front of the group or what?  Any suggestions on this would be helpful I've only done races in a pool so not sure what the best technique is.
2011-05-15 8:13 PM

User image

Regular
London, AR

Nice ride there Wushunut!

So today was all about driving two hours to my next race location and riding the bike course for familiarity. It's an 18 mile Out and Back course alongside a lake so the views were nice. The out portion or first 9 was challenging in a few places as far as climbs go. Matter of fact you come out of transition and start on an incline which I thought was interesting. The Back 9 miles though for the most part was very good as far as you felt like you were going down most of the time. Physically I felt fine on the ride. Only issue I had was bike malfunction on the steepest climb. My front gear set wanted to skip gears when I tried lowering. I had to adjust the Front Derailleur and then I was good to go. Overall it was a good trip/ good ride. I am glad I went and scoped it out because I was able to pinpoint a couple of "Watch out" spots on the course as in a fast down hill with a pothole. Maybe they will get that filled but just in case Wink

So I hope everyone else had good training this weekend and here is looking to another fine week of training. Good luck everyone!

2011-05-16 6:49 AM
in reply to: #3500083

User image

Regular
Davenport, Iowa
I am only replying to your swim question cause no one else has, not cause I am a open water swim expert.  I started out at the back of the group and  I definitely wish I had started out in front.  It was hard to pass people with everybody swimming together. 

2011-05-16 7:32 AM

User image

Regular
London, AR

4 mile run this morning...nothing special to note other than I am going to doctor today. I have been fighting sickness for about a week now and my chest hurt really bad today Cry

Hope everyone has a great day and week!

2011-05-16 9:03 AM

Extreme Veteran

Hope you feel better huntnjerm!  Nothing worse than getting sick in the midst of your training.  Hopefully it was just something in the air and not you getting sick.

I also went on a 4mile run this morning but probably far off your pace.  Just an easy run for me today.  I'm not even scheduled to run today but I've been frustrated with low base in running.  No endurance or speed.  I've been reading alot in the general forums of people who run everyday, even if it's just a little a day and how it's helped with their endurance and base.  I thought I'd give it a try.  Keeping my extra runs at low intensity and effort for the most part.  No sense in getting injured before my first race! 

It's funny how when I started this that I identified swimming as my weakest sport.  Well, it was, since I didn't swim prior to this.  But now that I've been doing this a bit now it seems as if running is becoming my weakest sport.  I guess if I'm honest with myself, running and swimming has always been weak.  I would grade myself as a competent biker though.

Ah well.

2011-05-16 10:44 AM
in reply to: #3498692

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago

huntnjerm - 2011-05-14 9:43 AM So for those that have done a Tri, do you take a 10 sec moment in transition to stretch? I gotta say after my brick today it kinda scared me, in that a I get off the bike and I locked up in my legs. And typically how big are the transition areas (distance wise, like 1/10th a mile or less) I know they would vary venue to venue but on average I guess what are they?

Just keep doing bike to run bricks and you will eventually start to feel a little better. You can take 10 seconds to stretch.  You can also change the gear on your bike before you come into transition (so you spin quickly and easily)...this will help loosen up your legs a little before getting off. 

You're right in transition areas do vary greatly.  Are you talking about how big if the transition distance from the entrance to the run exit?  For my smaller races they have been around 50 yards maybe and in the huge Chicago tri it could be several hundred yards.

2011-05-16 10:52 AM
in reply to: #3500083

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago

Tripopo - 2011-05-15 2:34 PM I have a question, my race is going to be a mass start with approx 250 people on a beach.  I should be putting in a 500 time of around 9 minutes if training holds constant, have done as low as 8:30.  Looking at the swim times from last year that is going to put me on the faster end of things.  Should I try to be in the front of the group or what?  Any suggestions on this would be helpful I've only done races in a pool so not sure what the best technique is.

That's a good swim time that you have there! I would start our near the front if I could.  The middle can become quite jumbled and it can be hard to pass a lot of people if you start in the back especially on such a short swim.  If you can and depending on the shape of the swim course try to start in the front but over to the side. You can swim in at a diagonal (slightly longer than going straight) but if you're a fast swimmer you will easily make up that time and you won't be as slowed down by slower swimmers and the mass of flailing bodies.

Remember to get in the water before to become adjusted to the temperature and figure out how quickly it gets deep. That way you know approximately how far you can run into the water before you have to start dolphin-diving and swimming.

2011-05-16 12:49 PM
in reply to: #3499178

Lexington OH

wushunut - 2011-05-14 6:50 PM

Sweet ride!!!

I'm hoping to get some aerobars in the August timeframe.  Since I'm not doing a tri this year (I may change my mind for the September sprint) I'm focusing on the bike in order to do Cycle North Carolina in October (7 days, about 65-70 miles per day)..

2011-05-16 12:49 PM

Extreme Veteran

Halfway into May and my total swim yardarge is now greater that the entire amount of yards swam in April! Still have half a month to go! Woot!

2011-05-16 6:19 PM

User image

Coastal Carolina
Typing this on my iPod computer got infected looks like I'm going to lose all my pics and files... Might be off for a day or 2
2011-05-16 8:16 PM

User image

New user
NW Indiana
I can Run!!! Had a couple days where things were just positively too busy to train. So, After work I hit the pool at the gym for a swim. Did my 800 yds on minimal rests....felt great about my swim for the first time.  Wednesday's swim will be 750 yds straight through! Stopped at home and picked up my son and headed for the bike path. We shortened the ride because we really werent dressed for the cold( 49 degrees in mid May?!!!) We still managed to get in about 8 miles averaging just over 17 mph. When we got back to the car I did a quick switch to running shoes and was off. I went very gingerly and only for about 3/4 of a mile, but I could run.....pain free! Working on stretched and foam roller off and on this evening. I'm going to ease back into this, but I'm so stoked that I'm making progress. WHoo hoo!
2011-05-16 8:33 PM

User image

Regular
London, AR
Good news SFD!
2011-05-17 9:33 AM

User image

Coastal Carolina
that's great man

2011-05-18 6:55 AM

St. Paul

Hi everyone - I've been sort of distracted the past couple of weeks. Too much work and well... just too much I guess. I've been pretty good about keeping up the training, but I think I hurt my knee on my last run. It's  a bit swollen now, so I think I need to take a couple days off.

SPD - I'm so glad to hear that you've recovered from your bad knee stuff.

Jeremy are you better now? Sick sucks (so to speak). I'm glad that the weather has turned nice here in the upper midwest - at least a feels a little bit more like spring.

My yangz (spelling) are great, by the way. Makes putting on shoes totally easy.

Hope everyone has a good day of training!

2011-05-18 12:30 PM

User image

New user
NW Indiana
What a frustrating morning.....Got up at 4:30am to hit the gym for my swim. Got dressed and gathered my stuff. Was going to take the motorcycle....stepped outside to cold rain. Ok...plan B. Got in the car(which my son had used the night before) NO GAS.....I mean the needle didnt even move. So, off to the gas station.....get to my usual, which opens at 5:00 am....closed....no one around. Head to the next one down the road....sweating cuz I'm running on fumes. Pull up to the pump....NO WALLET! Arghhhh....now I'm really in trouble cuz I don't think there's enough to get back home and back to the gas station. Well...no choices here. Head back home......whew...made it. But now I'm TRULY out of gas. So I grab the gas can from the lawnmower....maybe 1/2 a gallon in there....it will have to do. But by now it's nearly 6:00 am....too late to hit the gym. So, back in the house....shower, breakfast...grab my wallet this time and off to work. What a morning! So, swim will be right after work, followed by a short reintroductory run with my other son......after some exercise whupping up the one who left me no gas....LOL. I guess they're right when they say "IF it was easy...." 
2011-05-18 12:51 PM

Extreme Veteran

Wow that sucks man.  I'd make the son that left the car with no gas go on a loooong run as punishment. Wink Might as well give him some exercise too!

Yesterday was frustrating.  Did a really short brick but more as a time trial on the bike.  I was itching to test out the new aerobars to see if they would make a difference.  In a word, "no".  Well maybe.  Still I averaged 20mph over the entire distance, but I always average 20mph over that distance.  Sometimes more.  The route is an out and back with the out having a pretty good headwind with a slight incline.  Still, you would think I could make up the time on the "back."  I dunno, I guess I need more time in the saddle.  I was able to stay in the higher gears for much longer though and still maintain my cadence.  Still frustrated about my run times too.  I think I'm hitting a plateau of some sort.

Did get my swim in today too.  1200yards averaging about 2:10/100.  IOW...still the same pace... Still I'm not too displeased.  I still have to remind myself that 3 months ago I could barely swim a length.  Now I'm able to do 24 lengths continously.

2011-05-18 12:54 PM
in reply to: #3505413

Extreme Veteran
bakerswife - 2011-05-18 6:55 AM

Hi everyone - I've been sort of distracted the past couple of weeks. Too much work and well... just too much I guess. I've been pretty good about keeping up the training, but I think I hurt my knee on my last run. It's  a bit swollen now, so I think I need to take a couple days off.

SPD - I'm so glad to hear that you've recovered from your bad knee stuff.

Jeremy are you better now? Sick sucks (so to speak). I'm glad that the weather has turned nice here in the upper midwest - at least a feels a little bit more like spring.

My yangz (spelling) are great, by the way. Makes putting on shoes totally easy.

Hope everyone has a good day of training!

If your knee is swollen I would definitely take time off and apply the RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation).  I've had knee problems with running in the past but I've never had my knee swell.  If it still hurts after two days (as in it never stops hurting at all) I'd consider seeing your doctor.

Oh...and I think it's "Yankz." Wink

Edited by wushunut 2011-05-18 12:54 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Allison and Ryan's Beginner Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 29