BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2011-05-16 6:26 PM
in reply to: #3500623

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE!

Steve,

Thanks for the advise on the stick and foam roller as well as detailing how you recovered from your calf problems.  I'm not exactly certain how I injured it but like you there were periods of speed work on the bike and the run just prior to the injury.  Personally, I have had problems with my calves (especially when I was heavier and 1st starting out).  One of the things that I foolishly dropped out of my training recently has been stretching/weight training (specifically doing calf raises).  A lot of times calf issues can crop up simply becuase of weakness in the mucsle.  So I have got to get back to some of the basics outside of just SBR.

Glad your were able to do the NYCT.  That was sweet of your daughter to gift you with that event!!

stevebradley - 2011-05-15 9:38 PM JEFF - Obviously, I'm sorry your race didn't work according to plan and hope. And as much as I'm sorry that you had to bail a mile into the run, I'm sure you did the absolute right thing ---- and I hope you feel that way today, too. Your stated need to "get this fixed" sounds full of firm reslove, and with luck and discipline it might just be a matter of time and rest, is all. Looking through my log for '09, I bailed on a duathlon on July 12 due to calf problems that were incurred during speed work on the 8th, which itself was the day after a brisk 10.2km run on the 7th. I noted sorenesss with both the gastocnemius and soleus of the right calf after the speedwork run, and early on the morning of the race I tried a run from home that became too "sharp" within about 200m to risk doing the race. I then didn't run until the 20th, and that was just 21 minutes for 4.1km. Afte that -- nothing until the 26th, and I took that extended break just to make sure I was sound for the New York City Triathlon (see below for the story behind me doing that race). I found I had lost some fitness during the layoff (one run in 18 days), as my run time at NYCT was 49:02.....but after that I quickly ramped up the mileage again and was fine. I've made no note of therapy duringt he recovery, but I'd bet a small amount that I did at least two A.R.T. sessions. Doing NYC Tri was important and fraught with worry because..... My daughter, who lives in NYC, gifted me with the race. She signed up in the brief window (12 minutes, I think) of on-line availability, and that was my Xmas present. Then, on June 13, I crashed and separated my shoulder -- a Grade Four separation with little hope of being ready for July 26 -- two doctors initially told me I would be race-ready by early or mid August, if I took it easy and didn't push things. I told Jane that and she was upset, but of course understood it perfectly. But lo and behold, my recovery went quicker than hoped for, and I did my first full swim on July 19, so the run on the 20th was just to make sure I could handle that, too.......and proceed with plans to do NYCT. That happened, and so the story ended happily, and Jane's gift to me was fully used and appreciated! ANYHOW, that was my timeline for my own calf woes, and I hope yours is no worse. A foam roller or The Stick might help, as well as borderline torture at the hands of a good A.R.T. person. Please keep me apprised as to how the calf is feeling, Jeff!

2011-05-16 6:44 PM
in reply to: #3435045

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Congrat's on your race Sarah.  Sounds like you had a blast!!

BTW: Nothing like a little race anxiety to keep you awake at night. 

2011-05-16 6:54 PM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Congrat's on your Top 100 finish Veronica.  AND you got the attention of the local media.  Hope they got a picture of you in the paper as well!!
2011-05-16 7:46 PM
in reply to: #3502645

User image

Champion

JEFF -

You probably know this, but just in case......
Wait to resume strength training on the calf until the problem seems to be gone. My own history of calf problems shows that they respond very poorly to increased loads and work while still in crisis.

And for what it's worth, I rarely do "classic" speed work any more, as it is just a recipe for calf or Achilles problems. As a substitute I do lots and lots of tempo runs, or runs slightly above race pace, and just work on holding the speed and running form for the durtaion. Anything resembling track sessions, or track-type stuff on the road -- nope! Not for this creaky old cat!

The bike is better for me, but at times I have been prone to calf cramps when pushing really hard on hilly courses. None of those episodes has ever evolved into an actual injury, although as you probably know, a severe calf-cramp is its own little bit of hell. Mercy!

2011-05-16 7:49 PM
in reply to: #3502389

User image

Champion

JESSICA -

Nicely done on the Icks! That's not much of a variance from the ones I did, and doing the run segments on hills aded an element of masochism that I never inflicted (inflICKted?) on myself!

2011-05-16 8:02 PM
in reply to: #3502387

User image

Champion

VERONICA -

I'm glad you had a joyful event, too, and I can hardly wiat for your full report.

Many thanks, though, for the detailed swim report. I think i said that I have never done a tri with a pool swim.....and once again I bailed on it for this year. There is one this coming weekend, but I opted for the short duathlon instead. I keep telling myself that I ought to do one just so I know what to say to anyone who is contemplating one....but maybe I'll just refer those people to your post here!

Now I'll go to your link where you're quoted in the paper (Hey! I know you before you were famous!), and then await your full race report. Congrats on a good race that tickled you pink -- but next time get those requisite laps done to perfection!

(My race report? From last week? Like, nine days ago? Still in gestation, it seems!)

2011-05-16 8:19 PM
in reply to: #3502252

User image

Champion

TRINA -

Your coach is right about more races compacting their courses. Yes, it's not an absolute ideal, but it has its merits -- more spectators, great for family to watch, and closer to transition in the case of a "mechanical" (better to walk a couple of miles to transition than 12 or so from the far end of a pure point-to-point oly!).

I did an iron in Ottawa here that involved TWELVE out-and-backs along a closed-to-traffic parkway. The closed-to-traffic park was ideal, the 12 o-nad-b were not. But i ahd done the hlaf-iron there two or three times before, so I at least knew what six out-and-backs felt like.

The Esprit iron-distance in Montreal is held on the Formula One racetrack there, and it involves soemthing like 40 loops of that course. FORTY! Some peole logve it, andit helps that each time you pass transition you can look up oin the big screen and see how many laps you have done and how many still need to happen. I have NOT done that one, but at mine, at the top of each loop, the announcer would say something like "And here comes Steve Bradley, just finsihing his eighth lap!". I also had little stickers on my aerobars and took one off each time I did the turnaround. It worked out just fine, although it can be a bit stultifying.

Your distances will be manageable, though, and you should be fine. As for crowds, juts keep your head up and be ready to react. You dont' have top get all uppity about this, but tight courses with lots of people require a bit more vigilance. The upside, though, is that bike-vehicle accidents are practically non-existant in such situations, just because drivers have to be extra-cautious.

I have done a few triathons with congested bike courses, and I kind of like them. Chicago Triathlon is especially gnarly in this respect, but the bike ends up being an absolute blast. It's a great reason to relocate there, i think!

And speaking of Chicago, boy, do i ever want the Bulls to beat the Heat! And then there are your Thunder! Holy-moly! I gotta say, though, thjat having lived in Dallas for a couple of years I quite like the Mavs, so I guess I gotta go for them. But if the Thunder win, that's a prety cool story. Sad for Seattle fans, I guess, but.......

2011-05-16 8:41 PM
in reply to: #3501298

User image

Champion

CANON -

Your first brick! Remember the date - it'll be the first of xxx over the years!

The sore back could just be from asking your body to go from being in theat bike position to having to segue to the run. This is common, and will resolve itself over a short period of time. It's just another bit of muscle-memory your body needs to learn.

And maybe the pad did affect your run form enough to nudge your back some. I started cycling seriously in '00 and for a couple of weeks I used a cycling short with a bulky pad. I then ordered a pair of tri shorts with virtually no pad....and that's what I've used ever since (as in EVER -- I've never done anything since in conventioanl cycling shorts). And as those few weeks with a big pad were well before my first brick, I cannot provide an account of how my own.

BUT! You obviously enjoyed it enough that you are planning future run/bikes and bikes/runs, so that's a good thing to be sure!

2011-05-17 8:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX

Congrats to SARAH and VERONICA!! It sounds like you both had great races.

CANON, my back always seems stiff getting off the bike and going into my run.  If I go back and look at my race reports, I often mention that I need to just take the time to stretch coming off the bike into my run ... just bending over to touch my toes would help I think.

LISA

2011-05-17 12:38 PM

New user

Louisville

Great to see everyone's progress.  I feel like I fell off the wagon for a couple of weeks but it was really a week.  As you may not know,  when it is Kentucky Derby Week, all kinds of events are available for distractions...actually I was volunteering at the track for three long days and then last week had a business meeting in Dallas.  Now back at it!

Bike still isn't ready after ordering a new quill stem and longer than stocked clip on areobars.  If i don't get it back soon, i fear I won't be able to do the centurey ride on June 4th and maybe a 50 the second day.  It isn't a race and is intended to just be butt in the saddle for an extended (read really long) period of time!

Swimming seems to be going well.  Swam 2800 yesterday and after a 45 min spin class, swam 3500 today.  Sure would like a nap right now!!! Shoulders are a bit sore but I think it is normal, yes?  3500 is the longest I have swam in one session.  Still averaged around 2:05/100.  A question I pondered while mindlessly doing laps this morning,  the pool is 24yds versus 25.  While I say i did 3500, i realize I actually only did 3360 but it seems silly to keep adjusting for the 4yd/100 shortfall.  I know it isn't exactly precise but....am I just kidding myself?

2011-05-17 7:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Sarah,

Glad you had such a great time at your race.  I always have a blast even if I don't do well.  And bands, too - I've never done one that had entertainment.  I can totally relate to one thing you mentioned - I always feel I don't push hard enough on the bike.

Denise

2011-05-17 7:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Veronica,

Thanks for the race report.  And congrats on your results and your 15" of fame in the news.  I'm looking forward to my women only tri later this summer partly because, from looking at previous results, there's a number of "older" women, so I'll have more age group competition - which may be good or bad - haha.

I noticed you raced this one 1st in 1993 - didn't realize you'd been racing that long - maybe I should go back and read bios.

Denise

2011-05-17 8:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Steve,

I did 2000 yds with the change in entry the swimming instructor suggested but there wasn't much change in time.  Next time I'll check stroke count.  I think I'm pretty much going to just live with my slow swim this season since I'm in the middle of races.  Maybe next winter I'll get serious with more lessons.

I've got a sprint this Sunday.  The water is going to be VERY cold - yuck.  I did this one last year and you mentioned that it was one you would like because it's got a short swim (1/4 mile) and a longer bike (20.5 miles) and run (3.5 miles).  The one thing I really don't like about the cold swim is that it means fewer people do it and the ones that do are pretty hard-core which puts me closer to the bottom - haha 

Denise

2011-05-17 8:27 PM
in reply to: #3502768

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Steve,

Yep, got ya.  I'm staying away from running and strength training for at least the rest of this week.  Will see how it responds then.

Maybe I used the wrong phrase when I said "speed work".  Most of my run training is done in my Easy and Steady zones.  As I progressed in the plan and got closer to the race I did a lot of Tempo runs.  Tempo runs being defined as intervals where I run for x mintues in my Steady zone, increase the pace into my Mod-Hard zone for x minutes, and then recover back to my Steady zone for x minutes.  In my particular case I use the Run/Walk protocol so my Tempo Runs might look like this:

3 min. Steady, 3 min. Mod-Hard, 3.25 min. Steady, .75 Walk.  This is what I hoped to do in the last race (the run didn't quite work out that way for reasons that I have already mentioned).

I don't do "speed work" on the track per se.  Really the only time I head to the track is do a Run Test where I measure my paces at particular HR's.    In that test I'll do a continuous run for a specific distance at various HR's.  Like a continuous run for a total of 6 miles divided into 1.5 mile intervals where I'll measure the paces at HR's of 120, 130, 140, and 150.  Over time if my paces are faster at given HR's I know my fitness is getting better.

I think you mentioned earlier that your not a HR guy but that's how I use the tool.

stevebradley - 2011-05-16 8:46 PM JEFF - You probably know this, but just in case...... Wait to resume strength training on the calf until the problem seems to be gone. My own history of calf problems shows that they respond very poorly to increased loads and work while still in crisis. And for what it's worth, I rarely do "classic" speed work any more, as it is just a recipe for calf or Achilles problems. As a substitute I do lots and lots of tempo runs, or runs slightly above race pace, and just work on holding the speed and running form for the durtaion. Anything resembling track sessions, or track-type stuff on the road -- nope! Not for this creaky old cat! The bike is better for me, but at times I have been prone to calf cramps when pushing really hard on hilly courses. None of those episodes has ever evolved into an actual injury, although as you probably know, a severe calf-cramp is its own little bit of hell. Mercy!

2011-05-17 11:16 PM

User image

Concord

Thanks for the comments on the back after the transition from ride to run.  I will take those into consideration.

Steve, I did your suggested 1500 workout.  (since my pool is 25 m long, I just converted to meters)  It was a good workout, thanks for the suggestion.  I'll probably do it more often.

Question for the group:  When do you workout?  Morning - before work, Evening before dinner or Evening after dinner, or some time during the day?  Just curious.

Thanks,

Canon

2011-05-18 7:06 AM
in reply to: #3505253

User image

Champion

GANG!

Just checking in quickly, but will back tonight. Have a pleasant day, all!

Edited by stevebradley 2011-05-18 12:49 PM

2011-05-18 8:34 AM

User image

Expert
CenTex

Michael - I would not worry too much about the 4 yds/100 lost, unless I were training for something specific, i.e. IM, that requires a lengthy swim, or a time trial start where you seeded yourself based on time.  Also remember that most races are in meters, not yards, so there is an ~10% difference there as well.

When/if you self time to get an idea of race performance, make the adjustments then.  I wouldn't be too concerned during training.

Canon - I have found it best for me to work out during the day, typically at lunch.  It breaks up my day and is a great stress reliever for me.  On those days where I am doing multiple workouts, I usually do the first one early, around 5:00AM.  I have found that if I workout in the evening it takes my body too long to go back to rest mode and I end up wide awake late into the night.

2011-05-18 12:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Boy, it's fun to bike without a wind - I had forgotten what it's like.

Denise

2011-05-18 12:58 PM

User image

Champion

CANON -

When I was a workin' man, it was mostly late afternoon, after work.

No, wait -- that was towards the end of my workin' days. Earlier in my "career", when I was just a pure runner, it was alot of early morning and evening runs. Then when I evolved into a triathlete, it became swims mostly in late afternoon and into the evening, cycling after work, and running whenever I wasn't doing one of the other two -- or early in the morning.

Not only was I late in my years of teaching (meaning: I had learned the ropes and had quite a bit of time carved out of time that was freed up due to experience), but we didn't have young'uns at home any more. That would've made things that much more difficult, with the game then being one of trying to justice to triathlon while never putting it head and shoulders above the family. A guy in my other extant group does most of his stuff very early in the morning (like, 4:40-6:30 range), as well as long rides that often involve meeting up with the family at some predetermined place where they then do a family-type thing together. So far, this is working well for him!

2011-05-18 1:06 PM
in reply to: #3505066

User image

Champion

DENISE -

Don't get discouraged by the lack of an immediate bump in time. I think of swimming as a big old chain, or rope, and even as it tightens when pulled at one end, there is still slack further away from the pulling point. Eventually, when one change begets another change begets another change, the whole system is tight.

I could've left the dopey chain/rope analogy out of there and just said this: A single change is always good, but in something like swimming (or golf, I'm told) the best potential effects of that change can be dampened by small flaws elsewhere in one's mechanics. I speak from some vast experience in that area, alas and woe.

Spend some time working on the entry, just to get it entrenched in your muscle memory, and when you feel you've got it, move on to the next item on the swimflaws list. In time, the changes you make will produce improvements in your swim times. And it might be that just a bit of further tweaking of your entry mechanics will improve your speed, regardless of what else you do, and where. I really believe that there is JUST ONE MORE tweak that can be implemented --- another angel of the head of the pin!

2011-05-18 1:08 PM
in reply to: #3502645

User image

Champion

Off to physio. Maybe this is the week I will get the acupuncture treatment. I hope so!!

2011-05-18 2:14 PM
in reply to: #3506288

User image

Expert
CenTex

Trina - Sorry for the delayed response re: CapTex.  The bike course can get a little crowded but it really depends on what time your wave starts as to how long you have to deal with crowds.  Typically I can get through 2.5-3 laps before I start to run into the early Sprint racers.  At that point it's really not too bad.  There are 1-2 corners where you have to be careful and the turnaround at the bottom of San Jacinto can get sketchy if there's a lot of traffic.  I've seen folks blaze down the hill only to realize that they're carrying WAY too much speed into the turn.  It can get interesting.

Overall, the crowd support is fantastic and the race management is very good.  While it is not a cheap race, it is one that I find myself drawn back to each year as it is fun and challenging.  Plus, there aren't many times that I can ride my bike through downtown Austin and not worry about cars.

Hope to see you "at the track".

2011-05-18 5:02 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City

Steve - I've ridden my bike on that racetrack in Montreal - last summer in fact. I don't know if I could do 40 laps on that thing. It would be mind-numbing, IMHO. I might consider a HIM, but I don't know that I would travel that far to do a HIM. It is a cool track, though, and getting to ride my bike on a formula one race track was pretty darn cool! Montreal is so nice when it comes to being bike friendly. Miles and miles of trails with spectacular views...I was on my bike practically every day during our vacation there. Good times. 

Well, my Thunder lost their first game against Dallas last night (we're calling it the I-35 playoffs). Dirk Nowitzky played lights-out and frankly I found myself wondering if maybe Cuban hadn't actually hired someone to invent a badass pro basketball playing robot, because the guy did. not. miss. a basket. He's crazy good - set a record last night. We will see how the next game goes, then the Thunder finally get to play at home. 

George - Thanks for the info. I've heard getting onto the bike course out of T1 is a bit tense as you're merging into people already on the track. I have no idea when my swim wave starts - they aren't posting that info until this weekend, I believe. Did I hear that they let women go before the men?!? THAT would be awesome if that's true. Also, I thought CapTex split their sprint and oly races into two different days? And you are right - it's not a cheap race, but instead of staying downtown at the $300 per night (with 5 night minimum stay) hotels, we are packing up our RV and staying at a very nice RV park that's very near. $30 a night is a lot more like it! Especially since we're traveling to Italy later this summer....need to save up for that. 

I'm with ya - riding my bike through downtown Austin without worrying about traffic is going to be very cool and a lot of fun at that! I'm excited!

2011-05-18 6:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX

During the week, I usually train in the evening after work ... on the weekends, I get up early to train, which I much prefer.  Last summer, when it was so hot, I did get my runs in around 5am during the week.  Just get a bit nervous out by myself at that time although I do take mace and have a personal alarm.

LISA

2011-05-18 7:31 PM

User image

Regular
Crystal Coast

Steve/All

Question from the bleachers.......first I do appreciate reading all your posts.  I do have a few questions that I would appreciate your insights on.....

I have adopted one of the training plans from this site for preparation of my "A" race this year in Oct.  Currently I am signed up for a HIM but still toying with an IM so I am following an IM plan at this point.  What I have noticed in all the plans I have seen is that bike/run sessions are in time vice distance.  For example, a bike session might be 2 hours in length.  However, I am a back of the pack type guy so I am concerned that I should be achieving a given distance vice a given duration.  So is there any rules of thumb about the percent of distance your workouts should be covering at week 4/8/16, etc.?  Or should I stick to the durations identified and not concern myself with the distance issue?

The second issue is with my left calf.  A couple of weeks ago I was running an easy morning run and I felt a slight twitch which I didn't think much of since I was at the end of my run.  The next day I was planning my first brick with a 45m ride and a 15min run.  However, I only made it 2 blocks into the run before my calf starting bothering me so I walked home and took a couple weeks off ( I also celebrated some life events such as a 25th anniversary and a son graduating from college).  Yesterday I did my first slow run and at a half mile my calf started to get tight so I stopped and stretched.  I continued doing a run walk and as long as I had a short stride life was good.  However, today I can feel a slight tightness especially when I do a lunge.  Not sure if this a pull or just a case of not stretching out.  The condense version of the question is how long do you normally stretch after a run?

Any insights would be appreciated. Good news is that my first metric century is Saturday.

JK

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE! Rss Feed  

of 57