BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (third season) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 122

2011-12-30 10:00 AM
in reply to: #3961746

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group (third season) - CLOSED
JoePetto - 2011-12-30 9:12 AM
ernestov - 2011-12-30 9:13 AM

I have a question: I cannot keep my legs from getting bigger and bigger. I'm starting to have a cyclist's body with the small weak upper body and tree trunk legs. The issue comes when I'm running, if I trend my speed gains for the three sports, my running speed is pretty much stagnant for the last two years and it has ALL to do with weight.

In November '08 my average weight for the month was 165.50lbs and this month my average is 182.5, that is a whooping 17 pounds that went all to my legs, because my upper body doesn't have any less/more than back then.

Should I just start dieting and lose the weight (I recognize that I did gain some fat too), or just suck it up and keep getting bigger?

My diet has a lot of protein (before you ask) that comes from lean sources. I hardly ever eat beef, I'm more on the side of chicken and fish. I only eat complex carbs and the non-heme type (vegetables). No rice, potatoes or bread. Ocasionally I eat pasta and pizza, it's my Italian side (hehe).

Bigger isn't better on the run so I can't say that getting bigger makes a lot of sense. I have the opposite problem in that I have a hard time holding on to weight during the season. I am lifting now to build more mass heading into the season and have seen a nutritionist to help with the weight loss.Have you tried making other tweaks in your diet? Less animal protein might help. A nutritionist may also be a good resource.

Ernesto - tough question.  I genetically have thicker muscular thighs and have often thought that I am fighting genetic fate in trying to become an endurance runner.  I've even considered just focusing on cycling and focus on leg strength and power.  I weigh in at 160ish and would love to get to 150.  I know I have a decent amount of fat/softness to lose but share concerns over losing any upper body definition, etc.  I think you have to find the balance between additional speed/power on the bike and where that extra muscle weight causes a diminishing return on running speed.  I guess if your bike is getting faster and your run is stable then overall you are still faster?  I'm trying to eat more sensibly, get rid of the fat before worrying about anything else.

2011-12-30 10:02 AM
in reply to: #3961815

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
Jrdimaur - 2011-12-30 10:37 AM

In terms of fueling during runs or cycling where should I start?  Any recomendations on gels or supplements? 

Trial and error mostly. I like Hammer products, bit it mostly comes down to taste. Fruity favors drive me nuts so I usually go with vanilla or chocolate in terms of gels/gu. Also helps to mix up textures for long races - blocks, beans on the bike are my go to.

Edited by JoePetto 2011-12-30 10:04 AM
2011-12-30 10:20 AM
in reply to: #3942748

User image

Master
Dallas
I just heard about a bargain
2011-12-30 10:24 AM

User image

Master
Dallas

That bike (plus an extra frame) are going for $800. The size is 54cm (for someone about 5'10") and it comes with the original wheelset (not the Zipps in the picture). The seller is Blake Bednarz from Lubbock, TX 806-789-6506. I assume no responsibility as I don't know the guy, but he's good friends with a teammate.

I think it won't be out for long. It is a Fuji Team Roubaix btw. Real bargain.

2011-12-30 10:39 AM
in reply to: #3961611

User image

Deutschland

I have a question: I cannot keep my legs from getting bigger and bigger. I'm starting to have a cyclist's body with the small weak upper body and tree trunk legs. The issue comes when I'm running, if I trend my speed gains for the three sports, my running speed is pretty much stagnant for the last two years and it has ALL to do with weight.

In November '08 my average weight for the month was 165.50lbs and this month my average is 182.5, that is a whooping 17 pounds that went all to my legs, because my upper body doesn't have any less/more than back then.

Should I just start dieting and lose the weight (I recognize that I did gain some fat too), or just suck it up and keep getting bigger?

My diet has a lot of protein (before you ask) that comes from lean sources. I hardly ever eat beef, I'm more on the side of chicken and fish. I only eat complex carbs and the non-heme type (vegetables). No rice, potatoes or bread. Ocasionally I eat pasta and pizza, it's my Italian side (hehe).

hopefully, as a mentee, I might be of some help to the mentor...

HIT THE UPPER BODY SWIMMING STUFF HARD!!!! (including paddles, strechy bands and weights).

It sounds like you have the overall diet dialed in, but you're not seeing gains in the upper body.

You seem to be judging your gains by overall weight, are seeing big gains in the legs, but not in the upper body.

In my opinion:  Lay off the cycling; continue your diet; emphasize the swim (with paddles!), lay off the cycling.

If you want to keep yuor legs getting bigger and bigger (as some people do), keep doing what you're doing...  If you want to build the upper body, you have to focus on the upper body and spend less time on the rest.

K.I.S.S  (Keep It Simple Stupid).

JMHO

Shelby

2011-12-30 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3958184

Veteran
I need to take it easy on activities per ortho; I'm out of the challenge. Might have a medial meniscus tear. Have MRI scheduled for the 6th. Hopefully, the insurance will authorize it this time. Last year ortho wasn't able to get the MRI because he had to try "conservative treatment" first, which actually took care of it at that time.

2011-12-30 11:15 AM
in reply to: #3955157

New user

Houston, TX

In Response to Elizabeth's question about training plans on Page 14, not sure why this reply  did not post like the other replies.........Have you tired the "custom plan"?  I found it under the free plans.  It creates a basic plan for you and the activities occur on the same day each week.  Let me know if you can't find it and I will try to get a link to you.

William

Edited by steelfin 2011-12-30 9:30 PM
2011-12-30 11:39 AM
in reply to: #3961611

User image

Maple Grove, MN
ernestov - 2011-12-30 8:13 AM

Ernesto,

I'm going to talk like you did to Jackie.

I would be shocked if you put on 17 lbs of muscle on your legs in three years. If you did that, every body builder in the world should be calling you up to find out how you did it without steroids. If I had to guess, your biggest problem is not that your legs are too big, or that your upper body is too small, but it's that your MIDDLE body is too big. There's no way you put on 17 lbs without getting a spare tire even with all the endurance training (ok, it's possible, but not likely).

One reason I know this is by looking at myself. I've trained more this year than any previous year in my life. It's not even close. And I've gained 10 or 11 lbs. I tipped the scale at 171 this morning. And my legs have gotten bigger from being on the trainer, but my gut has gotten a lot bigger too. I'm just fatter. There's no getting around it. And it's because I've been eating like a pig. Endurance training lowers your blood sugar and makes you hungry. Add to that the entitlement feeling one gets from just having run 10 or 15 miles (or biked God knows how many you do) and my diet goes to hell.

So, I propose a supplementary mano-a-mano January challenge. We each weigh ourselves first thing Jan 1. (No food or drink but after taking care of necessary business.) Then we do the same thing every day and we report our weights at the same time we report or exercise minutes. Winner is either a) whoever loses the most weight, or b) whoever gets the closest to losing a specific amount (say four pounds). You choose.

I will be going low carb. It always works for me if I stick with it. No grain products at all. Only carbs from whole fruits and vegetables. No starches like potatoes. No beer. Red wine ok. I will start on Sunday. (Can't start on New Years Eve!)
2011-12-30 11:51 AM
in reply to: #3961107

Regular
Fishers, IN
JoePetto - 2011-12-29 9:44 PM

jenputnam - 2011-12-29 8:45 PM

ernestov - 2011-12-29 6:00 PM Chris is right, omelettes are great and easy to do. Read Maffettone and his idea about eggs "egglicious", a single cell, with the perfect balance of micro and macro nutrients. Cheese is zero carbs (if it's not that crap with hydrogenated oils they call cheese nowadays).

I'm on the right track then with that.  I've been making 2 egg omelets with peppers, cheese and tomatoes.  Scott loves his scrambled, don't think I can change that.  The spinach quiches are with eggs and spinach but I can freeze them and pop them in the microwave on busy mornings.  Also I've been making my own guacamole and eating it with warmed corn tortillas.  

Ernesto- I do use good cheese and eggs! 

Eggs do not work for me. Have been a big fan of kefir - low carbs and even more good bacteria than yogurt. Mix it with almond milk, frozen blueberries, flaxseed oil and some chia seeds and you have a helluva smoothie - protein, antioxidants, fiber and omega 3s. Despite being a dairy based product, kefir has a low lactose content. Great recovery drink/meal.

We eat a lot of beans and Greek style yogurt. For some reason, i'm nervous about trying kefir, can't explain it. I was the same way with Greek yogurt, but now i love it.

But, beans have a lot of variety and are simple to cook, all you need is a croc pot. But the beans in (ideally soak in water previous night) with soem spices (bay leaf) and onion and away you go. Add with rice, or make into quesadillas.
2011-12-30 12:03 PM
in reply to: #3962144

User image

Master
Dallas
chris2533 - 2011-12-30 11:39 AM

Ernesto, I'm going to talk like you did to Jackie. I would be shocked if you put on 17 lbs of muscle on your legs in three years. If you did that, every body builder in the world should be calling you up to find out how you did it without steroids. If I had to guess, your biggest problem is not that your legs are too big, or that your upper body is too small, but it's that your MIDDLE body is too big. There's no way you put on 17 lbs without getting a spare tire even with all the endurance training (ok, it's possible, but not likely). One reason I know this is by looking at myself. I've trained more this year than any previous year in my life. It's not even close. And I've gained 10 or 11 lbs. I tipped the scale at 171 this morning. And my legs have gotten bigger from being on the trainer, but my gut has gotten a lot bigger too. I'm just fatter. There's no getting around it. And it's because I've been eating like a pig. Endurance training lowers your blood sugar and makes you hungry. Add to that the entitlement feeling one gets from just having run 10 or 15 miles (or biked God knows how many you do) and my diet goes to hell. So, I propose a supplementary mano-a-mano January challenge. We each weigh ourselves first thing Jan 1. (No food or drink but after taking care of necessary business.) Then we do the same thing every day and we report our weights at the same time we report or exercise minutes. Winner is either a) whoever loses the most weight, or b) whoever gets the closest to losing a specific amount (say four pounds). You choose. I will be going low carb. It always works for me if I stick with it. No grain products at all. Only carbs from whole fruits and vegetables. No starches like potatoes. No beer. Red wine ok. I will start on Sunday. (Can't start on New Years Eve!)
Chris,

You're right, I do admit that there has to be some fat in there, maybe quite a bit too. But one thing I'll guarantee, my upper body is exactly the same (measurements) as 37 months ago.

Ok, I take on the challenge! I guess weight loss percentage would be the most fair of ways of accounting it. Otherwise it would be unfair to you, because you have less to lose than I do.

I agree, starting on New Years Eve would be ridiculous so the weigh in should be on January 1st, and the final weigh in on Jan 31st. I love it, it will be one more reason not to quit and start eating too much, competition. Game face on! Tongue out

2011-12-30 12:09 PM
in reply to: #3961992

User image

Master
Dallas
Fireball Small - 2011-12-30 10:39 AM

hopefully, as a mentee, I might be of some help to the mentor...

HIT THE UPPER BODY SWIMMING STUFF HARD!!!! (including paddles, strechy bands and weights).

It sounds like you have the overall diet dialed in, but you're not seeing gains in the upper body.

You seem to be judging your gains by overall weight, are seeing big gains in the legs, but not in the upper body.

In my opinion:  Lay off the cycling; continue your diet; emphasize the swim (with paddles!), lay off the cycling.

If you want to keep yuor legs getting bigger and bigger (as some people do), keep doing what you're doing...  If you want to build the upper body, you have to focus on the upper body and spend less time on the rest.

K.I.S.S  (Keep It Simple Stupid).

JMHO

Shelby

Shelby,

I would absolutely hate to lose my bike speed, and that would be guaranteed to happen if I lay off the bike. Any distance in triathlon has a bike leg that represents 50% or more of the race time (transitions included). If you're not good on the bike, you'll never be contending for podium spots and that is exactly what I do, I come out of the water close to the front, get on the very front while riding and hold off the best runners during the run part.

I would like to see improvements on the run so to catch the fastest well rounded triathletes that keep beating me for first place. I have had a few runner ups finishes but no AG wins yet.

2011-12-30 12:39 PM
in reply to: #3962193

User image

Master
ernestov - 2011-12-30 12:03 PM
chris2533 - 2011-12-30 11:39 AM

Ernesto, I'm going to talk like you did to Jackie. I would be shocked if you put on 17 lbs of muscle on your legs in three years. If you did that, every body builder in the world should be calling you up to find out how you did it without steroids. If I had to guess, your biggest problem is not that your legs are too big, or that your upper body is too small, but it's that your MIDDLE body is too big. There's no way you put on 17 lbs without getting a spare tire even with all the endurance training (ok, it's possible, but not likely). One reason I know this is by looking at myself. I've trained more this year than any previous year in my life. It's not even close. And I've gained 10 or 11 lbs. I tipped the scale at 171 this morning. And my legs have gotten bigger from being on the trainer, but my gut has gotten a lot bigger too. I'm just fatter. There's no getting around it. And it's because I've been eating like a pig. Endurance training lowers your blood sugar and makes you hungry. Add to that the entitlement feeling one gets from just having run 10 or 15 miles (or biked God knows how many you do) and my diet goes to hell. So, I propose a supplementary mano-a-mano January challenge. We each weigh ourselves first thing Jan 1. (No food or drink but after taking care of necessary business.) Then we do the same thing every day and we report our weights at the same time we report or exercise minutes. Winner is either a) whoever loses the most weight, or b) whoever gets the closest to losing a specific amount (say four pounds). You choose. I will be going low carb. It always works for me if I stick with it. No grain products at all. Only carbs from whole fruits and vegetables. No starches like potatoes. No beer. Red wine ok. I will start on Sunday. (Can't start on New Years Eve!)
Chris,

You're right, I do admit that there has to be some fat in there, maybe quite a bit too. But one thing I'll guarantee, my upper body is exactly the same (measurements) as 37 months ago.

Ok, I take on the challenge! I guess weight loss percentage would be the most fair of ways of accounting it. Otherwise it would be unfair to you, because you have less to lose than I do.

I agree, starting on New Years Eve would be ridiculous so the weigh in should be on January 1st, and the final weigh in on Jan 31st. I love it, it will be one more reason not to quit and start eating too much, competition. Game face on! Tongue out

I'd be happy to join you two as well...weigh in on Jan 1st?

2011-12-30 1:25 PM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
I'm fine with you in Mitch , but are you sure you need to lose weight?

Ernesto , great that we are doing this. The entire game for bodybuilding is increasing muscle size (not necessarily their usefulness however) and decreasing body fat percentage to a ridiculous degree (so you can see the muscles defined). They do this by alternative bulk phases and cut phases.

The theory is that if you exercise a muscle and run a caloric surplus during the bulk phase, the muscle grows because you are both using it, and, by running a caloric surplus, giving your body the building blocks necessary to increase muscle size. But the caloric surplus also causes the body to increase its fat stores. To combat this, they then do a cut phase where they run a caloric deficit, but continue to exercise the muscles and eat a lot of protein. The idea here is that because of the caloric deficit, the body has to lose either fat or muscle and usually loses both. By exercising a muscle, you are essentially saying to your body "excuse me. I'm using this muscle. Could you please reduce something else?" That something else is fat.

I have no intention of doing bulk, cut, bulk, cut like those guys, but we have done the bulk part! Now is the time for the cut, and January is a good time to do it because we will be exercising our tri specific muscles a lot.

Edited by chris2533 2011-12-30 1:28 PM
2011-12-30 3:30 PM
in reply to: #3962344

User image

Master

chris2533 - 2011-12-30 1:25 PM I'm fine with you in Mitch , but are you sure you need to lose weight? Ernesto , great that we are doing this. The entire game for bodybuilding is increasing muscle size (not necessarily their usefulness however) and decreasing body fat percentage to a ridiculous degree (so you can see the muscles defined). They do this by alternative bulk phases and cut phases. The theory is that if you exercise a muscle and run a caloric surplus during the bulk phase, the muscle grows because you are both using it, and, by running a caloric surplus, giving your body the building blocks necessary to increase muscle size. But the caloric surplus also causes the body to increase its fat stores. To combat this, they then do a cut phase where they run a caloric deficit, but continue to exercise the muscles and eat a lot of protein. The idea here is that because of the caloric deficit, the body has to lose either fat or muscle and usually loses both. By exercising a muscle, you are essentially saying to your body "excuse me. I'm using this muscle. Could you please reduce something else?" That something else is fat. I have no intention of doing bulk, cut, bulk, cut like those guys, but we have done the bulk part! Now is the time for the cut, and January is a good time to do it because we will be exercising our tri specific muscles a lot.

I have a good amount of fat to lose.  5'9" and 163 this afternoon when I showered after working out.  Was probably 150 when I got married 16 years ago.  Think honestly 155 would be a good weight, but would like to see my composition at that point.  So...I don't have a ton to lose, but need the motivation to eat healthier and stay away from the diet coke and drink more water.

2011-12-30 4:10 PM

User image

Master
Dallas

A little reminder, on Sunday the challenge is officially started. Don't forget the rules:

- 30 minutes at least in one day gets you one point.

- Any race longer than a 5K will give you a point for the day before and the day after so you can taper and rest from the race but no additional time will be computed.

- Only Swim/Bike/Run. Walking doesn't qualify as a run. Running slow however does. When swimming, account only for time swimming and not from the time you hit the pool deck until you leave, recoveries don't count.

- You don't have to kill yourselves, a very easy workout (like a relaxed recovery swim or an easy spin) will do the trick.

- If more than one person finishes the month of January with an equal amount of days in, total time will be the tie breaker.

- We are all leveled on this challenge, speed does not matter at all. Only training time does.

- Don't ever forget rule number one, HAVE FUN! Smile

2011-12-30 4:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Ernesto, i appreciate the need to figure out eating for IM. I got through my HIM on energy drinks alone but i can't carry enough to do that for IM and I know from previous experience that I dont react well to the energy drink of choice for IM France (powerade). So i need to toughen up my gut. Just not sure how. Any specific tactics would be appreciated. I realised around october this year that i have a dairy intolerance so hopefully that'll help, but ive also had bad reactions to gels and pretty much anything other than high5 energy drinks. I've got about 6 months to figure it out...

2011-12-30 4:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
If you guys dont mind me butting in I'd like to join your weight loss challenge. I was going to start one anyway (i did it last year and posted my weight on facebook every week for 5 months). Its good to have company.
Not sure how im going to do on the other challenge. Turned my ankle during my long run today and had to call my husband to pick me up. Been icing and compressing all evening. Have to see how it feels in the morning.
2011-12-30 4:19 PM
in reply to: #3962618

User image

Maple Grove, MN
chapfallen - 2011-12-30 4:17 PM

If you guys dont mind me butting in I'd like to join your weight loss challenge. I was going to start one anyway (i did it last year and posted my weight on facebook every week for 5 months). Its good to have company.
Not sure how im going to do on the other challenge. Turned my ankle during my long run today and had to call my husband to pick me up. Been icing and compressing all evening. Have to see how it feels in the morning.

Fine with me, but you can't put up your weight in stones!
2011-12-30 5:47 PM

User image

South Jersey
Please count me in for the January challenge.  I posted my name earlier on the list but it got lost in the shuffle.  Still putting in base building miles, nothing exciting to report.  January I'm taking on an extra (time consuming) commitment, so I'm hoping the daily requirement will get me through the month!
2011-12-30 7:41 PM
in reply to: #3962012

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
monicamm68 - 2011-12-30 11:45 AMI need to take it easy on activities per ortho; I'm out of the challenge. Might have a medial meniscus tear. Have MRI scheduled for the 6th. Hopefully, the insurance will authorize it this time. Last year ortho wasn't able to get the MRI because he had to try "conservative treatment" first, which actually took care of it at that time.
Had surgery on medial meniscus two years ago. Sucks, but you will recover with time. Ask me anything if you have questions.
2011-12-30 7:58 PM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

Went on a 10.5 mi ride this morning , and happy with the results. Was able to keep cadence avg at 94, and getting used to that pedalling rate. Also my speed went up from 16.3 to 17.0 mph (following Ernesto's recommendation, not really focusing on speed, but nice to see the increase anyways).

WRT the numbness, didn't feel it this time. I made sure to get off the saddle every 1.75 miles for a few seconds and move a little bit around the saddle. However, I have a question regarding how you sit in the bike. Quoting Ernesto :"the trick is using the sitbones and not the soft tissue". This make sense, but if I try to do that, I fell pain in the sitbones (I think that I was too forward in the saddle putting pressure on the soft tissue before, leading to the numbness). Is this pain normal? I know Chris mentioned that he likes his Adamo saddle, but gets pain in the sitbones, so I am asuming is par for the course.

Ernesto, WRT to your saddle recommendation, I will eventually make the change, but for now with everything I had to buy (and need to buy), I think I will wait a little. Just want to give my saddle a try before scrapping it. Also, not sure my wife will like (or understand) how come I need to spend another $100+ on a saddle for a bike I bought less than a month ago (you should have seen her face when I told her the bike did not come with pedals...LOL). ALthough quoting that erectile disfunction thing you mentioned might change her mind Laughing.

2011-12-30 9:19 PM
in reply to: #3962910

User image

Master
Dallas
Samyg - 2011-12-30 7:58 PM

Went on a 10.5 mi ride this morning , and happy with the results. Was able to keep cadence avg at 94, and getting used to that pedalling rate. Also my speed went up from 16.3 to 17.0 mph (following Ernesto's recommendation, not really focusing on speed, but nice to see the increase anyways).

WRT the numbness, didn't feel it this time. I made sure to get off the saddle every 1.75 miles for a few seconds and move a little bit around the saddle. However, I have a question regarding how you sit in the bike. Quoting Ernesto :"the trick is using the sitbones and not the soft tissue". This make sense, but if I try to do that, I fell pain in the sitbones (I think that I was too forward in the saddle putting pressure on the soft tissue before, leading to the numbness). Is this pain normal? I know Chris mentioned that he likes his Adamo saddle, but gets pain in the sitbones, so I am asuming is par for the course.

Ernesto, WRT to your saddle recommendation, I will eventually make the change, but for now with everything I had to buy (and need to buy), I think I will wait a little. Just want to give my saddle a try before scrapping it. Also, not sure my wife will like (or understand) how come I need to spend another $100+ on a saddle for a bike I bought less than a month ago (you should have seen her face when I told her the bike did not come with pedals...LOL). ALthough quoting that erectile disfunction thing you mentioned might change her mind Laughing.

It is impossible to use the sitbones with the current saddle you have, the saddles that use the sitbones are the ISM Adamo and the John Cobb's ones. I have an ISM on my tri bike because of the aggressive riding position and a John Cobb SHC-170 on my road bike that is some sort of a hybrid between a roadies saddle and a V-Flow (by Cobb too).

You have to try at a bike shop, usually they have 30 day return policies. I have taken advantage of these policies in the past to try and find the right one.

2011-12-30 9:51 PM
in reply to: #3962618

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Several Things to post here so please bear with me:

1.  The weight challenge I want in on.  I need to loose about 6lbs.  I'm 3lbs lighter than when I had my son 12 years ago but not where I need to be.  However I'm heading into strength training so the "weight" for me isn't as much of an indicator as I believe inches of waist, hips and arms.  I will however post all.  

2.  If I understand the January challenge correct..  My 5k race on Sunday will NOT give me a point on Monday and if it is under 30min I need to do something else.  

3.  Speaking of the 5k.  ERNESTO..  As you were my mentor last season and throughout the year... My best 5k was last year with a time of 26:19 in L.A.  Given the move and no speedwork in over 6 months, should I push for that type of time or back off right now and attempt a conservative 9min - 9:30 pace as the last 5k here I ran with Rheona and was a 10min pace.

chapfallen - 2011-12-30 3:17 PM If you guys dont mind me butting in I'd like to join your weight loss challenge. I was going to start one anyway (i did it last year and posted my weight on facebook every week for 5 months). Its good to have company.

Sorry to hear about your injury.  Hope it's nothing major.  

2011-12-31 6:40 AM
in reply to: #3963069

User image

Master
Dallas
jenputnam - 2011-12-30 9:51 PM

Several Things to post here so please bear with me:

1.  The weight challenge I want in on.  I need to loose about 6lbs.  I'm 3lbs lighter than when I had my son 12 years ago but not where I need to be.  However I'm heading into strength training so the "weight" for me isn't as much of an indicator as I believe inches of waist, hips and arms.  I will however post all.  

2.  If I understand the January challenge correct..  My 5k race on Sunday will NOT give me a point on Monday and if it is under 30min I need to do something else.  

3.  Speaking of the 5k.  ERNESTO..  As you were my mentor last season and throughout the year... My best 5k was last year with a time of 26:19 in L.A.  Given the move and no speedwork in over 6 months, should I push for that type of time or back off right now and attempt a conservative 9min - 9:30 pace as the last 5k here I ran with Rheona and was a 10min pace.

chapfallen - 2011-12-30 3:17 PM If you guys dont mind me butting in I'd like to join your weight loss challenge. I was going to start one anyway (i did it last year and posted my weight on facebook every week for 5 months). Its good to have company.

Sorry to hear about your injury.  Hope it's nothing major.  

Easy, warm up for a mile (at a very easy pace) and you got your thirty minutes. Just like any 5K event, build on it. Start at an 80 percent effort and start picking up to a 90, the last quarter mile all out.
2011-12-31 6:52 AM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Subject: How to post updates on January Competition
Hello All. Here is how to post your updates for the January competition. You don't need to post every day. It isn't a requirement (although you should update your training log every day). But if you do post an update, here is the format we came up with last time, and it works.

Part 1: What you did today. So I would write something like

Ran 6 miles. 50 minutes.

Part 2: Running total of the competition. To do this, you go up the thread to the last person's update, copy, paste and edit your line to reflect the update. So if before it said.

Chris 16 days, 20:13'19"

Mark 16 days, 18:50'00"

Jackie 16 days, 18:25'14"

Gabe 16 days, 17:37'08"

Ernesto 16 days, 17:07'16"

Barry 16 days 13:47'01"

Mitch 17 days, 12:46':20"

Scott 16 days, 11:9'25"

I would copy and paste this into my post and edit my line so now it would say

Chris 17 days, 21:03'19"

Mark 16 days, 18:50'00"

Jackie 16 days, 18:25'14"

Gabe 16 days, 17:37'08"

Ernesto 16 days, 17:07'16"

Barry 16 days 13:47'01"

Mitch 17 days, 12:46':20"

Scott 16 days, 11:9'25"

Note that I updated my number of days and my total time by 50 minutes. Some of us bold our updates and you are also free to reorder the list if rankings change.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (third season) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 122