BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2012-01-12 7:22 AM
in reply to: #3943322

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Subject: RE: Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED

Good Morning Team.

Brian - great pic!

Have a great day everyone - train safe.

KC

2012-01-12 8:08 AM

User image

Veteran

Godd morning everyone.  Great pictures...

I was asked to join a local Tri Team - more of a club though.  Anyone on a team/club?  I do most of my training alone and the store is about 45 minute drive.  So, not sure if this is best place for me to spend the $$ to join a club for somthing I do successfully at home.  I know that I would get to ride/swim with better riders/swimmers and get lots of motivation/tips.  Just a little hesitant.

Going to get some cold weather and snow later on. Looking forward to a run in the snow.  I always enjoy being out there for the first snow falling as I am out for an easy run. 

2012-01-12 8:18 AM

User image

Jackson, MS

Have yet to do anything this week other than yoga.  I feel like I'm just now getting my energy back. 

Just can't quite bring myself to get in the pool when it's in the 40s outside...

Guess I need to break out the bike trainer.  Unfortunately on call this holiday weekend. 

2012-01-12 8:21 AM
in reply to: #3985674

User image

Regular
Utrecht

I'm a member of a club. But I think the system here is very different than in the US. I pay about $160 a year to be a member. For that money I can the following:

• Organized runtraining on a athletic track every Tuesday (track is reserved for us for 2 hours)
  • 25m pool reserver for members for 5 1/2 a week. On which training is organized by our own trainers.
  • 2 x 30 reserved placed for spinning during winter. During summer organised biketraining for 2 1/2 hours
  • 1 class of pilates every week during winter.
  • 1 runtraining in the woods every weekend during winter.

Admitted that all are trainers are volunteers that get free membership in return. All these trainers are great and very expierenced in their discipline as both athlete and trainer.

All the locations are within 15min drive of my home.  

So for me it is a perfect deal.

2012-01-12 8:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Yep club member here too. I think I pay $29 a year and we get group rides / runs / swims, entry into an annual 'invitation only' race, discounts at local bike/ running / tri stores and all sorts of other 'delights'. For me it's beneficial given the low cost. Only down side - lmao - RED uniforms.
2012-01-12 9:22 AM
in reply to: #3985782

User image

Pro
Houston
cheekymonkeys1 - 2012-01-12 8:37 AMYep club member here too. I think I pay $29 a year and we get group rides / runs / swims, entry into an annual 'invitation only' race, discounts at local bike/ running / tri stores and all sorts of other 'delights'. For me it's beneficial given the low cost. Only down side - lmao - RED uniforms.
My membership is more like this. I used to do everything alone and now I have friends to ride with and sometimes run with. It has made training more enjoyable.We also get a Really good discount to a 50 meter pool with coaches but I haven't been able to work that in my training yet.My husband isn't much of a social trainer so he gets less out of the group. However the discount alone pas for the membership.

2012-01-12 9:28 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
The Newton guy was pretty cool. I got to try on a new pair so that was fun. New colors coming out soon. I had no idea the company was so young! First shoe released in 2007 after 15 years of research. They tried to sell their design to other shoe companies first like Nike but they wouldn't really market the whole lug technology. They felt that would have been a waste of all their research so they started making their own shoes. At first they were only sold at Expos, they would sell like 500 pairs at an IM Expo so they decided to focus on triathletes because we are always ready to try something new and not too traditional. Now they feel their base is in triathletes but are shifting to long distance runners.
2012-01-12 10:45 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Team - hope everyone is having a great day.

Brian - I am more of a train alone kind of guy as well but I am going to join the local tri club just to be a member and see if I can make some new friends maybe this year. The only problem I have is that most of them do their training about 30 minutes from me in the summer time. I am just curius about what you do for footwear during your snow runs - do you wear anything different?

Niezels/Stijn - sounds like a well oranized club and a great deal

Cheeky - Red Uniforms - very interesting - so I guess we now know that is your club in that picture Wink

Keri - interesting info on the Newtons. I have 2 pairs of Distancia/Distance and 1 pair of the Terra Momentus all terain I just bought as well. Overall, did you like their message on the product?

KC

2012-01-12 11:06 AM
in reply to: #3986176

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI

Good morning everyone!

Keri- I have a pair of Newtons I bought last year, I love them!  I am naturally a forefoot/midfoot runner, and always get blisters on the ball of my foot and under my big toe, but didn't have a single blister with the Newtons.  The only issue I had with them was that they aggravated a calf strain last summer and so I had to switch to my Sauconys for the Racine 70.3.

Brian- I belong to a tri club called TriWisconsin.  It costs $40/year to be a member, but they have coach-led swim workouts at three different locations in the Milwaukee area throughout the week, Wednesday night team runs in the winter and track workouts in the summer, supported rides for IMWI and Racine 70.3, kick-off party in March with food and drinks and giveaways (shirts, transition mats, socks, etc.), post-Ironman party in September, and year-end party in November.  They also have quite a few discounts available for both races and equipment, and I have found it was well worth the $40 with just the discounts.  I am usually one who likes to train by myself, although from time to time it's nice to train with a group, so I like having that option.  Plus, I have met so many friends from TriWI who have helped me so much along the way. 

Got my training in this morning.  It was a struggle to get going this morning, but made it to masters long course again, and it went fairly well.  We had a couple sets of 50m sprints in the main set, those kicked my butt, and I was completely out of breath from those.  After swimming, I lifted right away since we are supposed to get our first significant snow of the year and I didn't feel like having to go back to the gym this afternoon.

2012-01-12 1:28 PM

User image

Veteran

THanks for the info about your clubs.  this one is $175 for the year.  They want you to race in at least 3 events and volunteer at at least 1 to be elegible for team prizes at end of season.  Included is a race suit (1 piece or shorts and shirt), tee shirt, bottle , transition mat,visor and socks - roughly about the $175.  May be good to force me to get out and ride with better bikers.

Left the house just after it started snowing. KC, since the ground was not full of snow I just used my regular running shoes.  Had the ground been covered already I would have worn a pair of trail shoes with a bit more grip.  It was 50 yesterday, so not much is sticking to the pavement.  Got in a little over 6 miles and then the snow stopped - perfect timing.

2012-01-12 5:07 PM
in reply to: #3985782

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

cheekymonkeys1 - 2012-01-12 9:37 AM Yep club member here too. I think I pay $29 a year and we get group rides / runs / swims, entry into an annual 'invitation only' race, discounts at local bike/ running / tri stores and all sorts of other 'delights'. For me it's beneficial given the low cost. Only down side - lmao - RED uniforms.

Come on post some pics of those uniforms! lol

2012-01-12 5:12 PM
in reply to: #3985674

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Skinny Arm Brian - 2012-01-12 9:08 AM

Godd morning everyone.  Great pictures...

I was asked to join a local Tri Team - more of a club though.  Anyone on a team/club?  I do most of my training alone and the store is about 45 minute drive.  So, not sure if this is best place for me to spend the $$ to join a club for somthing I do successfully at home.  I know that I would get to ride/swim with better riders/swimmers and get lots of motivation/tips.  Just a little hesitant.

Going to get some cold weather and snow later on. Looking forward to a run in the snow.  I always enjoy being out there for the first snow falling as I am out for an easy run. 

I guess if its cheap to join its not a big deal, if you can get a couple great workouts out of it.  If they charge too much and you can only get there a couple times I would say no.  We have one that is about 50 miles away and I joined just to get there discounts, the $40yr were made up with a couple purchases or race discounts.   

You will do just fine on your own, but training on your own does get boring year after year.  I only wish we had a larger tri community in our area.  We have a biking club that is ok, but their goals each ride don't usually fit mine.

2012-01-12 9:47 PM

User image

Regular
I joined what's kind of a tri club, but it's more of a training group, I guess.  It's about $400 for an annual pass, and they meet several times/week for coached training.  So there's boot camp, open water swims, track workouts, coached bike rides, etc, etc.  They also organize several practice tris, and many actual races.  I do like it because it pushes me more than I'd typically push myself, and it's nice to get to know some new friends.  Plus the coaching is fantastic.  Very well worth it, in my book.
2012-01-12 10:10 PM
in reply to: #3987641

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

MoniqueGriffith - 2012-01-12 10:47 PM I joined what's kind of a tri club, but it's more of a training group, I guess.  It's about $400 for an annual pass, and they meet several times/week for coached training.  So there's boot camp, open water swims, track workouts, coached bike rides, etc, etc.  They also organize several practice tris, and many actual races.  I do like it because it pushes me more than I'd typically push myself, and it's nice to get to know some new friends.  Plus the coaching is fantastic.  Very well worth it, in my book.

What exactly is a coached bike ride? do they ride with you?  Wish we had a group large enough in our area for group workouts.

2012-01-12 10:14 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

OK group its time to set some measurable goals for the rest of the month:  I don't care what it is but lets all come up with one (ie power improvement, weight loss, x miles s/b/r) just something you can be held accountable for.  Start thinking and we will start Monday.  Even if your being coached you have to have some type of goal in place.

Looks like we are finally getting our winter weather in the midwest, gonna make flying home even worse.

2012-01-12 10:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

I belong to a tri club, a great one.  $20 a year.  They have an entry level program that holds sessions on topics, mentors, group workouts, etc to get them to their first sprint.  They also host a lot of get togethers.  They share information really well..they have an open water swim once a week.  Pretty active.  Cheap for what you get.

I did a good tempo with 2 X 20 at 70% with 4X 1 min VO2 in each set.  65 mins toal.  Swam with the masters this morning.  I did some kettlebells, yoga and rollers after the bike.  Feeling very strong.  Paleo still going well.  Down to 1800 to 2200 cals a day and trying to eat right after workouts to aid recovery.  Longer weekend workouts will require food before and after.  I feel really strong. 

2012-01-13 1:58 AM
in reply to: #3987661

User image

Regular
razorxp - 2012-01-12 8:10 PM

MoniqueGriffith - 2012-01-12 10:47 PM I joined what's kind of a tri club, but it's more of a training group, I guess.  It's about $400 for an annual pass, and they meet several times/week for coached training.  So there's boot camp, open water swims, track workouts, coached bike rides, etc, etc.  They also organize several practice tris, and many actual races.  I do like it because it pushes me more than I'd typically push myself, and it's nice to get to know some new friends.  Plus the coaching is fantastic.  Very well worth it, in my book.

What exactly is a coached bike ride? do they ride with you?  Wish we had a group large enough in our area for group workouts.

They just have several bike coaches ride with us - some front of pack, some mid, and some back.  So nobody gets completely ditched, which is really handy when you're ME.  They also give us tips and advice while we're riding.  Things like cadence, gearing, etc.  My *very* first tri workout last year, I was in horrific shape, and we did a 7 mile hilly course.  OMG, I was dying and thought a helicopter might have to come rescue me.  But one of the coaches just rode the whole way back with me and talked me through every step.  It was awesome. 

2012-01-13 3:39 AM

User image

Regular
Utrecht

For fact friday a fact I'm proud of:

Besides triathlon I found my passion in American Football. As a result I've been an official for 7 years now. Tonight I'll be flying to Prague for a clinic for European Official. Reason: I have been asked to join the European Federation (EFAF) and to become one of their international officials. So after this weekend I will be scheduled to do some European games over the year.

I skipped my training yesterday as I had to many things to do before I go to the airport. Also I was tired of the little sleep the last couple of days.

Good thing is that the hotel I will be staying in has an 25m pool in the basement.

2012-01-13 7:56 AM

User image

SE North Carolina
Friday the the 13th,,,,,Surprised...I plan on going to the YWCA today and getting 10 passes for $40, I usually like swimming outside but this time of year thats obviously not an option... Hope evryone has a great weekend....
2012-01-13 9:04 AM

User image

Expert

I just renewed with my local triathlon club, Louisville Landsharks (http://www.louisvillelandsharks.com).  Our membership has grown from about 9 people in 2008 to over 200 last year.  While I still tend to ride and run with my own groups and friends it's nice to have the support and resources of the Landsharks as well.  Cost is about 40 dollars per year and we buy gear seperately. 

In addition to the typical perks we also negotiated terms with a lake across the river in Indiana for twice a month open water swims.  We had some issues last year with a few members that ended with our permit being revoked primarly because of loose guidelines.  This year we have locked it down more and swimming is only allowed during certain times with proper ID.  If you are planning to work out a deal with a lake I can tell you what not to do with your membership to keep you in good standing with the management of said lake.  ughh.

Lastly, we get group discounts with several of our sponsors.  With the amount of gear I/we buy 10-20% off purchases is a great asset and more than pays for the membership.  

Oh yea, we also just won our Division for the USA Triathlon National Challange swim session!  We are getting our butts handed to us on the bike session going on right now by those people out in Kansas though.  Our tri group broke out into 6 person teams and in addition to competing nationally in the challenge we are competing within our group as well.  It has been a lot of fun and included a couple of group swim relay's of 100 X 100 Meter swims.

Wow, I am long winded today.  Good Friday the 13th training today everyone and have a great weekend.

2012-01-13 9:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI

Happy Friday everyone!

Today is my day off. Laughing Well, almost.  I have an indoor soccer game at 11pm tonight.  I'm playing in a coed over-30 league.  It's a blast to play in, and I'm trying to enjoy every last minute of these games since after this session, I need to cool it from soccer until after IMWI.  We play the other team that is undefeated tonight and is really good...so hopefully it goes well, and hopefully I make it through the game without getting hacked at.

Monique- I hear you about the bike ride thing.  This summer, I went on my first super long ride (75 miles) with a couple friends.  This ride is where I was nicknamed the poky puppy...I tried to keep up with them for the first 25-30 miles and it ended up killing my legs for the remainder of the ride.  I ended up telling them to go ahead, and being alone with your thoughts on a long ride like that when you are struggling is brutual.  I actually had to ride through the parking lot of the university I work at and seriously almost stopped there and had a co-worker drive me back to my friend's house.  But I stuck it out and was so glad I did.

Interesting fact Friday...well, in keeping with the soccer theme, me and my husband Billy run an adult soccer club.  It's a ton of work, but we love our club and the friends we have made from soccer are truly amazing people.  Billy and I actually met playing soccer for the club, so it was neat that the previous president asked us to take over when he moved.  Our club is called the Milwaukee Brewers FC (we actually pre-date the baseball team!) and was founded by workers at the Schlitz brewery in the 1940's.  Billy's title is officially President (or as the guys like to call him, El Presidente) and I am the women's coordinator (or, again, El Presidenta).  We have two men's top level amateur teams, one women's majors team, over-30 teams, and at least 2-3 coed teams.  My soccer teammates and friends are amazing, and most of them are planning on being at IMWI to cheer me on.

Happy training everyone!  Stay warm- it's chilly outside!

2012-01-13 9:34 AM
in reply to: #3987767

User image

Expert

That seems like a great thing to have with the coach riding along with you.  I never realized how much goes into biking until I actually had someone with experience riding with  me and helping me out.  Utilize that as much as you can.

MoniqueGriffith - 2012-01-13 1:58 AM
razorxp - 2012-01-12 8:10 PM

They just have several bike coaches ride with us - some front of pack, some mid, and some back.  So nobody gets completely ditched, which is really handy when you're ME.  They also give us tips and advice while we're riding.  Things like cadence, gearing, etc.  My *very* first tri workout last year, I was in horrific shape, and we did a 7 mile hilly course.  OMG, I was dying and thought a helicopter might have to come rescue me.  But one of the coaches just rode the whole way back with me and talked me through every step.  It was awesome. 

2012-01-13 10:31 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Good Morning Team.

Looks like winter finally showed up Yell.

Coach - great idea for setting goals - mine is to officially lay down my plan for NYC IM. Even though I am in pretty much a full training mode, as Coach knows, I am a planner so the official plan will be finalized and structured by the end of next week (before the end of the month deadline).

Niezels - cool fact and good luck with the travel.

Jenny - good luck with the game tonight and wow; it sounds like you and your husband are busy. That is cool that your club is that old.

As for my weird/fun fact for this Friday the 13th - a little fact about my Mom and Dad for you - Dad was a professional hockey player in Europe and Mom was a professional figure skater from Glasgow Scotland. My Dad played for the Paisley Pirates in Glasgow Scotland, met my Mom there, they married, had my brother and moved the family here to Canada. I am sure this is where I get my great love of sport.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Swim and a bike for me today.

KC

2012-01-13 12:41 PM

User image

Expert

@KCGolf:  My Son played Hockey for a while when he was younger.  Not a big sport here in KY.  Although, after playing it recreationally for a couple of years I wish it were.  I played soccer in HS and College(Int) but always wanted to play football.   Hockey is the perfect blend of both sports, you get to go out and get much more physical than you can in soccer while maintaining the fast pace of indoor soccer.  Oh well, I got fat and retired from that sport anyway.  hah

Interesting fact...I was a volunteer firefighter for almost 7 years.  I left because the department was growing so fast I could keep up.  When I started we were making about 500 runs a year with volunteers expected to attend roughly 30%.  When I left the area's population had exploded so much that our small department had grown to 3 firehouses and we were making 1500+ runs a year (Fire, Auto & Medical).  Could not keep up with the demands put on us and I had to move on.  Oh yea, then I got really, really fat...LOL

2012-01-13 2:41 PM

User image

Expert

Wow - can't believe how many of you are part of a triathlon club.  I have an informal group of unbelievable athletes that I try to ride or swim with occasionally just to push myself but other that that I am all solo.  Just with my schedule I find it hard to coordinate workouts with other people or wait on someone.

So my weird fact for Friday is that I have a heart condition called PVC's.  During my marathon training in 2008 I ended up in the ER three times thinking I was gonna die because my heart was skipping beats and felt that dropping sensation like when going down a roller coaster.  I was getting them about every 20 seconds.    Always checked out completely normal - finally in 2009 during my training while at the cardiologist on an EKG he was able to catch it happening and diagnosed it.   Since then when I hit a mileage of 20miles/week running i get it - really weird.  Basically I have just become used to it.  In 2009 I was pretty sure I was gonna be found dead on the running path so I got a Road ID (would make for a great commercial-haha). Plus my Dad had a heart attack when he was 34 so that didn't help my mental state either.

It doesn't affect me anymore and actually since I have been doing triathlon training the past 3 years i don't feel it.  But sure enough when I was doing my marathon training last spring and hit 20 miles wee - I got them.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 43