BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-05-17 6:10 PM
in reply to: thirdstation

User image

Veteran
Denton
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED
Originally posted by thirdstation

Today was my first attempt at using the Maffetone method. I figured it would closely map to my Z2 runs anyway -- except it didn't. I had to walk most of my planned 2.4 mile run to keep my HR in the 128-138 range. I'd run about 50ft. and my HR would be back up to 150. By "running," I mean one step above a walk.

So, it turns out my Z2 is really a Z3 and my Z2 is walking.

This is causing my to reevaluate my whole season. I have a sprint in two weeks and last night I signed up for my first oly in September. I'm thinking I should be focusing on next summer instead.

Use the Maffetone method to train and don't worry about it in the race. You got plenty of time to train for your Olympic and usually you see quick improvement in your run training. Its hard when you first start out because you know you can run faster but trust in it and you will get better quick.
I know exactly how you feel ... don't give up!

2013-05-17 6:13 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Veteran
Denton
Originally posted by glfprncs

Had a total epiphany in.the pool today! Went from a regular flutter kick of about 6 kicks per arm cycle (left/right stroke) to a 2 beat kick (left kick when right arm.stabs water, opposite leg with other arm). Was able to swim 3 times farther without.becoming breathless. How did I miss this before?

Isn't it awesome realizing that ... its so much nicer with a two beat kick! You will see some major improvements in your swim endurance in the next swims ... :-)
2013-05-17 6:14 PM
in reply to: d3term1ned

User image

Veteran
Denton
Not liking this new site set up so far ... I hope I will get used to it.
2013-05-17 7:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by d3term1ned

Not liking this new site set up so far ... I hope I will get used to it.

I'm with you. I am becoming an old curmudgeon but this is taking some getting used to. Hopefully before long it won't seem so hard to use.

Has this already been asked? Who is racing or has big plans for this weekend?

I know Randy has a sprint? this weekend. Anyone else?

I am working a 24 hour shift at a very small hospital that we staff. I will bring my bike/trainer with me and try to crank out several hours. I always say that this is the only time I get to be a "professional triathlete" i.e., I'm getting paid to work out

ETA. Ok. I'm caught up now and see that we do have some racers (and other activities) this weekend.

Edited by wannabefaster 2013-05-17 7:49 PM
2013-05-17 7:53 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

Today was my first attempt at using the Maffetone method. I figured it would closely map to my Z2 runs anyway -- except it didn't. I had to walk most of my planned 2.4 mile run to keep my HR in the 128-138 range. I'd run about 50ft. and my HR would be back up to 150. By "running," I mean one step above a walk.

This is causing my to reevaluate my whole season. I have a sprint in two weeks and last night I signed up for my first oly in September. I'm thinking I should be focusing on next summer instead.

How did you set your zones? Are you feeling really winded at the 150 heart rate? This seems very strange to me. I don't think your zone 2 should be walking. That would make zone 1 sitting on the couch? Admittedly I don't ever look at my heart rate until the workout is over so I am not a good resource for this type of training but something sounds off.

Anyone who has been using this method have more info?
2013-05-17 7:57 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
No race for me, but I am volunteering at IMTX. I may get a little star struck if I happen to run in to Chrissy Wellington tomorrow A picture will be taken if I happen to be so lucky!

Week one of my plan has been a huge bust. It's probably a good thing I'm volunteering, maybe I'll get some motivation (i.e inspiration) to get started.

2013-05-17 8:24 PM
in reply to: khharms

User image

Master
South Alabama

Yeah...not sure about the new format. I'm an old dog and resist change.

Jim-good luck to your son in the rugby games. So much fun to watch your kids play sports.

Sounds like there was alot of good training going on today. It always takes awhile for anything new to become comfortable.

Sam update. He was transferred to University of Alabama Birmingham hospital for further testing. They still don't know what is going on but the plan in to do "heart mapping." He was communicating with his doctor this morning which is great news.

Looks like a hot one tomorrow for folks racing IMTX.

Will check in tomorrow when I return from my race. Take care all!

2013-05-17 9:11 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Veteran
Denton
I did a 3 hour ride this morning which was not fun because Texas feels like Florida at the moment. It is hot and rained quite a bit.

Good luck to all the racers this weekend ... go out there and kill it!

I will be leaving at 6am tomorrow to go on a Kayak trip with a buddy of mine. We are going to float the Brazos River for the weekend. I will be back Sunday night ...
2013-05-17 9:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Denton
Double post ... oooopppppsss

Edited by d3term1ned 2013-05-17 9:12 PM
2013-05-17 10:20 PM

Hudson Valley Region
Originally posted by wannabefaster

How did you set your zones?

I set my zone using the 180-age formula (180-42 = 138). So, 128-138 is the zone.

Are you feeling really winded at the 150 heart rate? This seems very strange to me. I don't think your zone 2 should be walking. That would make zone 1 sitting on the couch? Admittedly I don't ever look at my heart rate until the workout is over so I am not a good resource for this type of training but something sounds off.

I'm not winded but full sentences would be difficult. I can do that pace for probably an hour or more (well, a little more). I breathe in for about three steps and breathe out in 1-2. My breathing gets back to normal shortly after stopping and I'm not wrecked -- like, I feel like I can do that type of workout every day.

I'm ready to accept that I'm profoundly out of shape instead of just regular out of shape. Maybe zone 2 really is a brisk walk and zone 1 is on the couch, preferably napping.

One variable is the course. I was running around my neighborhood which is very hilly. I will have to hit the rail trail (very flat) and see what happens.

I checked the accuracy of my monitor by taking my pulse. It was within 3-4 beats on the high side. It seems to jump around a little at times though. I don't have much experience using it so I don't know if that's typical.

2013-05-17 10:22 PM
in reply to: d3term1ned

Hudson Valley Region
Originally posted by d3term1ned

Use the Maffetone method to train and don't worry about it in the race. You got plenty of time to train for your Olympic and usually you see quick improvement in your run training. Its hard when you first start out because you know you can run faster but trust in it and you will get better quick.
I know exactly how you feel ... don't give up!

Thanks! I've witnessed how awesome you've done over the past year so, I'm willing to stick with it. It was a bit of a shock to see how slowly I had to run/walk to stay in my zone.

2013-05-17 10:44 PM

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
Not so sure I like the new set up either I guess we will see. Off to try to get some sleep I doubt I'll get much though a little excited. What's everyone's favorite pump you up / get you going song on race morning?
2013-05-18 11:51 AM
in reply to: mrajki

User image

Calgary, AB

Originally posted by mrajkiWhat's everyone's favorite pump you up / get you going song on race morning?

Nothing will ever top Get Ready for This.  And nothing ever will!

Scott.

2013-05-18 11:56 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

Originally posted by wannabefaster

How did you set your zones?

I set my zone using the 180-age formula (180-42 = 138). So, 128-138 is the zone.

Are you feeling really winded at the 150 heart rate? This seems very strange to me. I don't think your zone 2 should be walking. That would make zone 1 sitting on the couch? Admittedly I don't ever look at my heart rate until the workout is over so I am not a good resource for this type of training but something sounds off.

I'm not winded but full sentences would be difficult. I can do that pace for probably an hour or more (well, a little more). I breathe in for about three steps and breathe out in 1-2. My breathing gets back to normal shortly after stopping and I'm not wrecked -- like, I feel like I can do that type of workout every day.

I'm ready to accept that I'm profoundly out of shape instead of just regular out of shape. Maybe zone 2 really is a brisk walk and zone 1 is on the couch, preferably napping.

One variable is the course. I was running around my neighborhood which is very hilly. I will have to hit the rail trail (very flat) and see what happens.

I checked the accuracy of my monitor by taking my pulse. It was within 3-4 beats on the high side. It seems to jump around a little at times though. I don't have much experience using it so I don't know if that's typical.

I still don't have the answer to your question but in the 'main' forum, someone else is asking about maffetone training. In the new website at the bottom of the active tread there are links to other threads about heart rate training. A lot of reading but there may be some people in there that can answer your question better.

Here is a link:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2013-05-18 12:17 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by mrajki

Not so sure I like the new set up either I guess we will see. Off to try to get some sleep I doubt I'll get much though a little excited. What's everyone's favorite pump you up / get you going song on race morning?

I've said it before, if you can watch this video/listen to this song and not want to go out and train, you had better check your pulse.....

It's by Eminem so there is some NSFW language. Sorry.

I'm not the biggest Rap guy ever but there is something about this song that speaks to me. Gonna keep going "till my bones collapse" (I mostly like the chorus and I am not hip-hop savvy enough to "get" some of the lyrics so I hope they don't offend anyone.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnqpYKx8Fvk

"Till I Collapse"
(feat. Nate Dogg)

[Intro:]
'Cause sometimes you just feel tired,
Feel weak, and when you feel weak, you feel like you wanna just give up.
But you gotta search within you, you gotta find that inner strength
And just pull that shxx out of you and get that motivation to not give up
And not be a quitter, no matter how bad you wanna just fall flat on your face and collapse.

[B/W Intro:]
Go left, go left, go left right left

[Verse #1:]
Till I collapse I’m spilling these raps long as you feel 'em
Till the day that I drop you'll never say that I'm not killing them
'Cause when I am not then I'ma stop penning 'em
And I am not hip-hop and I’m just not Eminem.
Subliminal thoughts when I'm stop sending them women are caught in webs spin and hauk venom
Adrenaline shots of penicillin could not get the illing to stop.
Amoxacilin is just not real enough.
The criminal cop killing hip-hop filling a minimal swap to cop millions of Pac listeners.
You're coming with me, feel it or not you’re gonna fear it like I showed you the spirit of god lives in us.
You hear it a lot, lyrics that shock is it a miracle or am I just a product of pop fizzing up.
For sizzle my whizzle this is the plot listen up you bizzles forgot slizzle does not give a .

[Chorus - NateDogg]
Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out
Till my legs give out, can’t shut my mouth.
Till the smoke clears out - am I high? Perhaps.
I'ma rip this shxx till my bone collapse.
I'ma rip this shixx till my bone collapse.

[Verse #2:]
Music is like magic there’s a certain feeling you get when you're real
And you spit and people are feeling your shxx.
This is your moment and every single minute you spend trying to hold onto it
'cause you may never get it again.
So while you’re in it try to get as much shxx as you can
And when your run is over just admit when it's at its end.
'Cause I'm at the end of my wits with half this shxx that gets in.
I got a list here's the order of my list that it's in.
It goes, Red G, Jay-Z, Tupac and Biggie, Andre from OutKast, Jada, Kurupt, Nas and then me.
But in this industry I'm the cause of a lot of envy, so when I’m not put on this list the shxx does not offend me.
That's why you see me walk around like nothing's bothering me.
Even though half you people got a fxxxxxg problem with me.
You hate it but you know respect you’ve got to give me
The press's wet dream like Bobby and Whitney. Nate hit me.

[Chorus - NateDogg]

[Verse #3:]
Soon as a verse starts I eat it at MC’s heart
What is he thinking? How not to go against me? Smart.
And it's absurd how people hang on every word.
I’ll probably never get the props I feel I ever deserve
But I’ll never be served my spot is forever reserved
If I ever leave earth that would be the death of me first.
'Cause in my heart of hearts I know nothing could ever be worse.
That’s why I’m clever when I put together every verse
My thoughts are sporadic, I act like I’m an addict
I rap like I’m addicted to smack like I’m Kim Mathers.
But I don’t want to go forth and back in constant battles
The fact is I would rather sit back and bomb some rappers.
So this is like a full blown attack I’m launching at them
The track is on some battling raps who want some static
'Cause I don’t really think that the fact that I’m Slim matters
A plaque of platinum status is whack if I'm not the baddest.

[Chorus - NateDogg]
I'ma rip this shixx till my bone collapse

[Outro:]
[Eminem & Natedogg Echo:]
Until the roof
The roof comes off
Until my legs
Give out from underneath me

[Eminem:]
I will not fall,
I will stand tall,
Feels like no one can beat me.

2013-05-18 12:34 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Just got in from my regular Saturday morning ride with the LBS. I LOVE riding with them...they truly make me better.

Chased the 'faster guys' and and when the rain started to fall about 10 miles from home, it inspired me to keep up the pace.

I <3 my bike.

2013-05-18 1:28 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
I'll write a full race report later but I'm pretty stoked. 3 mile run, 11.3 mile bike, 525 yard swim, 1:09:34 good for 4th overall out of about 40 or so and 2nd in my AG, time for a nap.
2013-05-18 1:41 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
This is my pump me up video. I watch it before every really crucial workout and race. Some of the phrases are my mantras, especially during IM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LoJZ-wtH6c

PS. You used to be able to post photos and links much easier!
2013-05-18 1:51 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by mrajki I'll write a full race report later but I'm pretty stoked. 3 mile run, 11.3 mile bike, 525 yard swim, 1:09:34 good for 4th overall out of about 40 or so and 2nd in my AG, time for a nap.

Super job! A post race nap rates way up on my list of favorite things to do.

Had a good race this morning. Seems like the heat is finally on its way as it was 75 degrees with 91% humidity at 4:30am. No splits posted yet but ended up first in Grandmasters and I think 8th overall out of 275 racers. My team put 2 in the top 3 and 4 in the top 8. Other teammate won his AG so a good morning.    

2013-05-18 3:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England

This is really going to make a difference. I do all my maffetone runs along the old railway lines near us because its VERY difficult to control your heart rate on a hilly run. I'd suggest you stick to flattish stuff at least at first until you get used to keeping to the HR.

Almost everyone finds they have to run MUCH slower when they first start out. It will get better. Keep the faith.

[not convinced by the new site, especially as it doesn't appear to have a mobile version yet, which is making it tricky to post from my phone at work!]
2013-05-18 3:29 PM
in reply to: chapfallen

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Well done to guys on race results. Some impressive stuff!

Question for the group: Does anyone use music for cadence while running? I've been using tracks from Audiofuel for quite a while, starting with their "medium intensity" and then moving onto the "high intensity", however I'm now finding that the cadence is a little slower than I'm comfortable with (my "comfortable" cadence seems to have gradually increased). I'm looking for music that's about 170-175bpm but can't seem to find anywhere that I can search for music by cadence. Any suggestions?

2013-05-18 3:35 PM

User image

I need help!
The last few weeks work has been mad, the weather hasn't helped either and the result has been that I haven't really managed to do the bike training I should have done. I'm 11 weeks away from my first Oly (which is really my A race).
The running and swimming I'm on top, the bike I'm about 2 weeks behind, especially with the long ride.

How do I get myself back on tracK? I'm starting to worry that I won't be fit by the time the race comes...
2013-05-18 7:06 PM
in reply to: tatous

User image

Master
South Alabama

Tay-if you are up on the run/swim you will be fine. Try to pick up on the bike but don't over do it to try to "catch up." Fortunately, biking puts less stress on the body so you can work back into it pretty quickly and maybe give yourself a week or two of cycling before getting back into the biking portion of the plan where you "should" be. Eleven weeks is alot of time. Stick with it and you will be more than ready.

Music-I'll have to look at my Ipod and see which ones are my hard interval/motivational songs. Although I am an old man there are several rap songs that just seem to always pick me up. I'll try to get some specifics but my Ipod has everything from Eminem, NWA (Straight out of Compton always gets me moving), James Taylor, Steely Dan, Kanye West, Dave Matthews...pretty diverse. I don't consciously pick my music by beat/rhythm but suspect subconsiously I like songs that are consistent with my run pace.

Will try to get a race report up tomorrow as splits have been posted. Smiling as I had the 2nd fastest overall bike split @24.67mph   Decided that since this was a sprint I was going to push it on the bike and see what I had left on the run. Fortunately, both turned out well.  Tomorrow should be a good test as I have a long run with 6X1 mile intervals @HIM run pace.  

2013-05-18 8:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Hey gang, sorry I haven't been checking in regularly. Between life, work, and training, it seems like I don't have enough hours in the day lately. I had a 4-hour ride, followed by a 45 minute run today, and my butt's feeling kicked from this week's training. My training plan upped the swims to 3,500m, and those have me pretty tired. On the plus side, school is wrapping up for me, two more weeks, and June 2nd is Ironman Raleigh 70.3, which, it's just occurring to me, is not far away! I'll try to be better about checking in.
As far as music goes, I really like dub step. It gets my blood pumping. I also like Matt & Kim's new album. However, I hardly listen to music while working out anymore. On the trainer, it's usually Netflix and then while running, it's just the sound of my feet hitting the pavement over and over again. I hope everyone's doing well!
2013-05-19 1:45 AM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Champion
Hot today on the big island. I had a 2hr run and 2 hr ride on tap. Repeated tomorrow as 2hr ride and 2hr run. Ended up with some heat/sun rash on my legs, chest and back that's not a sunburn but something else. It's resolving with cold and cortisone. I've got 5 more hard days in 8 before I get to rest for Honu. Not going in on a longer taper due to the timin of Honu to France. Pretty tired. Have to get up before it gets too HAWT tomorrow. Zzzzzzzzz time
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88