BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2013-05-26 4:44 AM
in reply to: Rnay225

, Alabama
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED
I think we all get overwhelmed at times with the stuff life throws at us, so don't think you are whining or making excuses. Life is tough sometimes. Most of us dont race to win we race for the enjoyment or being able to do so. Perhaps you could think of your training in this way, you can run, you are blessed to be able to do so - therefore enjoy that you can. The rest of it will be easier in time and think of the great running base you are building so when your bike is tuned etc you will be able to concentrate on that knowing you have built a great base in your run. AND you have a trip to look forward to!

2013-05-26 5:34 AM
in reply to: NMS

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
I second everything Noreen and Jason said, just do what you can and enjoy the journey. There was an article somewhere here on BT I read some time ago (I can't find it now), basically saying don't let it become something you stress about. Most of us came to the sport as a way to relieve some stress, if the sport becomes a source of sress it's just counterproductive. (The artcle was a lot more eloquent than I am... )

2013-05-26 5:41 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Thanks everyone for the tips re: goggles. I had tried the new pair of Kaimans I've had tucked away in case it was a silicon breakdown problem, no luck, they were the same. I'm going to experiment a bit more with placement and tightness (might be overtightening the strap and stretching the nosepiece?) before trying to get new ones. Mid winter here in Australia and there is not a big range of goggles in the shops at the moment .
2013-05-26 12:36 PM
in reply to: Hubbie

Originally posted by Hubbie

Good morning everyone! I'm sure you've noticed my exuberant mood. Today was my first day on the weights since getting hurt. It was a bit tough but it felt great. I'm convinced my iPod is possessed though. I was struggling through my last set when BOOM by POD came on. It was just what I needed to blast through the last part.

Boom!
Here comes the
Boom!
Ready or not?
Here comes the boys from the South
Boom!
Here comes the
Boom!
Ready or not ?
How you like me now?, I say

Boom!
Here comes the
Boom!
Ready or not?
Boom!
Here comes the
Boom!
Ready or not?
How you like me now?

Is that all you got?, haha
I'll take your best shot
Is that all you got?, ha ha
I'll take your best shot
Is that all you got?, I'll take your best shot
I'll take your best shot, I'll take your best shot

Is that all you got?
(Well it's alright, it's alright)
I'll take your best shot
Is that all you got?
I'll take your best shot
Take your best shot, take your best shot
Take your best shot, take your best shot

Boom!
Here comes the
Boom!
Ready or not?
Boom!
Here comes the
Boom!
Ready or not?
Haha, how you like me now?, I say

Boom!
Here comes the
Boom!
Ready or not?
Boom!
Here comes the
Boom!
Ready or not?
Haha, how you like me now?

LOL EPIC !!
2013-05-26 12:44 PM
in reply to: Usulsuspct

Originally posted by Usulsuspct

Originally posted by Rnay225

I'm feeling very discouraged about my racing plans for the summer. After my tri last year I was so excited to be able to train through the winter and start racing right away in May to get the most out of the season. Well now May is over and I haven't raced once. It seems like every time I plan a race something happens that gets in the way. I'm also having financial difficulties since the unplanned funeral travel and expenses put a big strain on the bank accounts and it's making me feel like I'll miss this whole season. Because the weather's been so crazy, our water temps here are so low that I'd need a wetsuit (which I don't have and can't really afford right now). My bike also needs a tune up (not terribly expensive but still not really something I can justify right now) which is just another obstacle. I feel like all I have is running which I'm ok with but it's honestly not my favorite of the 3. I'm going out of the country in July (yay!) so that's more money to save and time away from racing and I'm moving out of state in August (and we all know how that goes) so I just feel very overwhelmed. Am I just making excuses? I'm not an excuse maker generally so I'm hoping I'm not becoming one. These just feel like legitimate issues right now and it's so frustrating! Sorry to complain and whine, needed an outlet and decided to use you fine folks since you "get" the whole triathlon thing.

Life is gonna get in the way, that's just gonna happen so just enjoy the training. Maybe pick one race this year and enjoy the journey to it. It will make that one event all that more fun and important. Of course this is coming from someone who hasn't done his first tri yet and isn't planning on one until next season, so take what I say with a grain of salt

As far as making excuses, we all do it and only you know if they are just that. If the bike will roll that's pretty much all you need, just think the added workout you will get with only one gear and brake rub! Now the swim, well that's one I find tough to get up for, my issue is just that I suck at it.

Just keep at it, things will work themselves out and you will find your groove again!

Agreed. I have lost over 130 pounds in the last 10 months and I have just ran my first 10K this mourning in my entire life at the age of 33. Im eating healthy and most importantly I convinced that my new lifestyle permanent. Im eating healthy, I feel healthy and I have signed up for my first ever TRI for this coming mid August. Im loving the ride in preparing it and if something just happens to come up and I prepare this event with my heart and soul and I cant do it for whatever reason... I will be perfectly ok with. Right now I gotta say Im high on health and its more important to me than any TRI. I would now kill myself for not doing XYZ amount of events. For crying out loud I bought my first SUIT ....EVER in my 33 years last night.... LMAO !!!
2013-05-26 12:49 PM
in reply to: ibr80

User image

Originally posted by ibr80

I'm feeling very discouraged about my racing plans for the summer. After my tri last year I was so excited to be able to train through the winter and start racing right away in May to get the most out of the season. Well now May is over and I haven't raced once. It seems like every time I plan a race something happens that gets in the way. I'm also having financial difficulties since the unplanned funeral travel and expenses put a big strain on the bank accounts and it's making me feel like I'll miss this whole season. Because the weather's been so crazy, our water temps here are so low that I'd need a wetsuit (which I don't have and can't really afford right now). My bike also needs a tune up (not terribly expensive but still not really something I can justify right now) which is just another obstacle. I feel like all I have is running which I'm ok with but it's honestly not my favorite of the 3. I'm going out of the country in July (yay!) so that's more money to save and time away from racing and I'm moving out of state in August (and we all know how that goes) so I just feel very overwhelmed. Am I just making excuses? I'm not an excuse maker generally so I'm hoping I'm not becoming one. These just feel like legitimate issues right now and it's so frustrating! Sorry to complain and whine, needed an outlet and decided to use you fine folks since you "get" the whole triathlon thing.

Life is gonna get in the way, that's just gonna happen so just enjoy the training. Maybe pick one race this year and enjoy the journey to it. It will make that one event all that more fun and important. Of course this is coming from someone who hasn't done his first tri yet and isn't planning on one until next season, so take what I say with a grain of salt

As far as making excuses, we all do it and only you know if they are just that. If the bike will roll that's pretty much all you need, just think the added workout you will get with only one gear and brake rub! Now the swim, well that's one I find tough to get up for, my issue is just that I suck at it.

Just keep at it, things will work themselves out and you will find your groove again!

Agreed. I have lost over 130 pounds in the last 10 months and I have just ran my first 10K this mourning in my entire life at the age of 33. Im eating healthy and most importantly I convinced that my new lifestyle permanent. Im eating healthy, I feel healthy and I have signed up for my first ever TRI for this coming mid August. Im loving the ride in preparing it and if something just happens to come up and I prepare this event with my heart and soul and I cant do it for whatever reason... I will be perfectly ok with. Right now I gotta say Im high on health and its more important to me than any TRI. I would now kill myself for not doing XYZ amount of events. For crying out loud I bought my first SUIT ....EVER in my 33 years last night.... LMAO !!!

Right on...props on dropping an entire person off your frame!

2013-05-26 6:22 PM

User image

Veteran

Hang in there. Like others have said before life has a way of getting in the way. I also think that it would be a good idea to choose one or two races for this season then just train when you can and enjoy the journey. Everyone has good years and bad years, and if you have to lay low this year and come back next year that's okay too.
2013-05-27 5:52 AM
in reply to: Hubbie

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Has anyone heard from Todd lately? Todd, are you OK? I haven't seen you on here for a few days, I'm starting to worry. I hope you're alright.
2013-05-27 3:33 PM

, Alabama
Hi Taringa, he hasn't been on since Thursday which is strange. Hopefully it is something like being away with work or having computer problems or something.
2013-05-27 4:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sorry Ladier and Gentleman for my absence. I planned to post Friday before leaving that I was headed to the deer lease (hence the other part of my name) to work. I got in a ride before leaving and never got a chance to log on to let yall know. I have no service there so no post there either. I got back late Saturday night, no chance to post. Sunday was Work, Swim, Work, Run, got home and wife was sick so I could not get on the computer (in bedroom). Today, woke up and went for a bike ride and then took the family to the lake for the day. I do apologize for my absence and will try to ensure that it does not happen again, thank you all for the concern. OK, now to read post and respond.

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2013-05-27 8:04 PM
2013-05-27 8:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Taringa

I have a question regarding swimming goggles, maybe someone can help? I have fairly close-set eyes and a narrow bridge of my nose, and i'm having a devil of a time finding goggles that don't leak. I was using Aqua Sphere Lady Kaimans this season but as I've lost weight and my eye sockets have deepened I'm finding water leaks in, generally around the medial corner of my eyes and usually when I'm exhaling underwater. Does anyone else have this problem, and how did you solve it? I'm thinking I may need to try some junior sizes, but I think they may be difficult to get hold of. Maybe ebay?

Anna, I use the TYP Nest Pro's and have a smaller head and they fit great. They also make a pair that are Nest Pro Nano's made for people like yourself or so I have been told.

2013-05-27 8:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Renee, I would not say your whining or trying to make excuses but you can maintain a level of fitness during the difficult times. I use to think that I had to race in order to push myself to train. Now I train becuase I enjoy it and the way it makes me feel, getting to do a race is icing on the cake and I try to take in every second of it. I also used to easily cancel or shorten a workout because of circumstances (I don't mean when there was not choice I just mean when I didn't feel like pushing through or finding a way). Do what you can when you can, treadmill at hotel, walk / jog around the house or vacation location, bike tell the wheels fall off then get it worked on. It is hard but maybe this year now needs to become a get in the routine / base year and then you can go at it next. If you like the racing idea and who doesn't, mix in some 5K's they are fairly cheap, quick, and don't require the same level of training. No matter what you decide to do, we are here for you and support you, just don't stop living a healther lifestyle.
2013-05-27 8:25 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Extreme Veteran
Isaac, congrats on your first 10K. What an accomplishment and the journey you had towards it just make it that much more awesome. Again great job.
2013-05-27 9:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Hi Guys. Sorry for my absence this past week. Major gardening, life and realy spending some family time together was pretty heavy this week. I still got in some workouts. Everyone is making strides. Today was a really good day for me too. Started out with a boot camp class with hubby and son, made breakfast, prepped and seasoned this week's dinner proteins, prepped and cooked for today's simple cookout, an hour of garden and done by1:30pm.
At 2, we grilled which took about 30 minutes. Grilled corn is the best!! Spent he afternoon eating and relaxing with family and friends. All foil and paper products used so no dishes to wash.

So finally after a few weeks of swimming (and two lessons) I was able to complete day one of the 0to1650 program (+ about 450 yards of various lengths 50 / 100 yards). Strangely enough it was also the first day my 910xt was fairly accurate with stroke / length detection. I have two more swims scheduled this week (plus another lesson), which should hopefully *fingers crossed* see me through week one of the program.

Swimming really is an alien activity for me...still amazes me how much different it is from the other sports. I feel like you can "muscle" your way through a run or bike ride, while swimming affords no such avenue. You must apply *some* technique if you want to not drown. :D

This past month has instilled in me a great respect for swimming and swimmers in general - it truly is an art form.

Congrats on completing 0 to 1650 day one. I assume you just finished week one now?
You are right that swimming is about technique (I suck at it). It does get better though. In saying so, if you don't mind some company and cheering , I think i am going to do this program with you. I have started and restarted so many times and never finished. Aiming to finish with you.
2013-05-28 7:28 AM
in reply to: Lovey

User image

Veteran
Louisville
Originally posted by Lovey

Hi Guys. Sorry for my absence this past week. Major gardening, life and realy spending some family time together was pretty heavy this week. I still got in some workouts. Everyone is making strides. Today was a really good day for me too. Started out with a boot camp class with hubby and son, made breakfast, prepped and seasoned this week's dinner proteins, prepped and cooked for today's simple cookout, an hour of garden and done by1:30pm.
At 2, we grilled which took about 30 minutes. Grilled corn is the best!! Spent he afternoon eating and relaxing with family and friends. All foil and paper products used so no dishes to wash.

So finally after a few weeks of swimming (and two lessons) I was able to complete day one of the 0to1650 program (+ about 450 yards of various lengths 50 / 100 yards). Strangely enough it was also the first day my 910xt was fairly accurate with stroke / length detection. I have two more swims scheduled this week (plus another lesson), which should hopefully *fingers crossed* see me through week one of the program.

Swimming really is an alien activity for me...still amazes me how much different it is from the other sports. I feel like you can "muscle" your way through a run or bike ride, while swimming affords no such avenue. You must apply *some* technique if you want to not drown. :D

This past month has instilled in me a great respect for swimming and swimmers in general - it truly is an art form.

Congrats on completing 0 to 1650 day one. I assume you just finished week one now?
You are right that swimming is about technique (I suck at it). It does get better though. In saying so, if you don't mind some company and cheering , I think i am going to do this program with you. I have started and restarted so many times and never finished. Aiming to finish with you.

Thank you everyone for your kind words. It's a pretty tough time around the house these days but it's getting better every day. I'm a planner by nature so having so many plans switched up at once threw me into a tailspin. But ANYWAY...

I've tried the 0 to 1650 plan twice but have never made it past a week or so. Do you guys mind if I try to join in too? Maybe as a "team" we'll finally make it through!
2013-05-28 8:50 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-05-28 11:46 AM
in reply to: afischer01

Veteran
Louisville
Originally posted by afischer01

Good Morning everyone!

This weekend I completed two sufferfest workouts! I did the first one with the friend that turned me onto them. It was brutal, but I was hooked instantly. The same friend loaned me a trainer and a bike computer so I could set myself up in the garage at home. Now I have no excuse! I bought the sufferfest starter pack and did Angels at home yesterday. It was worse than saturday but I really liked it. Super motivating, hard, but so satisfying when you finish!! I'm hoping it will help with my bike training and stamina.

Wow! You'll be a Knight of Sufferlandria before you know it! I have Hell Hath No Fury but haven't been able to make it through yet. I love the videos though and unlike most people I actually like the trainer a lot. I do a lot of reading on it while I'm in school, watch everything on Netflix and can wear whatever I want despite the weather. Great job!
2013-05-28 11:51 AM
in reply to: 0

Veteran
Baltimore Area

• Originally posted by Usulsuspct

Thank you everyone for your kind words. It's a pretty tough time around the house these days but it's getting better every day. I'm a planner by nature so having so many plans switched up at once threw me into a tailspin. But ANYWAY...

I've tried the 0 to 1650 plan twice but have never made it past a week or so. Do you guys mind if I try to join in too? Maybe as a "team" we'll finally make it through!

I think the more the better. We will cheer each other on. For those who are past this level, over time we will get there. For those who are not, don't give up. It takes time but well worth it.

The 0 to 1650 plan is here - http://ruthkazez.com/ZeroTo1mile.html

Edited by Lovey 2013-05-28 11:53 AM
    2013-05-28 12:38 PM

New user
    Hey everyone! Spending some time catching up on the group today. Whatever sinus/allergy/congestion craziness I had going on is FINALLY subsiding and I'm feeling and sounding like a normal person.

I do need to call on your collective experience though with exercise. I was so happy to get back to feeling normal that I broke one of my workout mantras "just because you can doesn't mean you should". I have a 4-mile race this weekend (walk/run for charity so no pressure). So for my long run last week (Sunday) I decided to do that distance since I have never done that before thinking you should try a distance before a race. Well, I did the distance with a walk run combo outside on a trail (all running previous on a treadmill, longest distance has been 1.75 mile). Felt good during the run, tired but good and finished. Well fast forward to late Sunday night/Monday morning, both my hips are killing me. They hurt right in the front on the joint itself. Basically if you put your hands on your hips it would be where your fingers touch in the front. They don't hurt constantly, just when I need to use the joint (upon standing, upon sitting, when I start to walk) CRAP!! (not the word I want to use but I don't want to offend...) Last year I had a similar pain on the right side only, much worse though, that stopped me from all impact exercises for over 9 mths. At that time, per x-ray my right hip was dropped and tilted forward.

In hindsight I see that taking that big of a jump was not smart and obviously too much. So my question is now - what to do? Do I do nothing this week to recover? Do I only do biking & swimming but no running? Do I ice? Heat? Do I still do the race on Sunday if I have soreness? no soreness? Am I screwed never to able to run in this life? (dramatic, I know...)

I have a standing Chiro appt on Friday and a previously planned appt with a Sports Medicine doc on June 17th. I'm so mad at myself right now for that decision. I only had 2 goals for this tri season: to get to my 1 race uninjured and to finish the race uninjured. Realizing I may have blown that goal or set it back big time...

Yours truly, Wendy Whiner (thanks for listening)
    2013-05-28 1:43 PM
    in reply to: iamDawnAnderson

Veteran
    Originally posted by iamDawnAnderson

Hey everyone! Spending some time catching up on the group today. Whatever sinus/allergy/congestion craziness I had going on is FINALLY subsiding and I'm feeling and sounding like a normal person.

I do need to call on your collective experience though with exercise. I was so happy to get back to feeling normal that I broke one of my workout mantras "just because you can doesn't mean you should". I have a 4-mile race this weekend (walk/run for charity so no pressure). So for my long run last week (Sunday) I decided to do that distance since I have never done that before thinking you should try a distance before a race. Well, I did the distance with a walk run combo outside on a trail (all running previous on a treadmill, longest distance has been 1.75 mile). Felt good during the run, tired but good and finished. Well fast forward to late Sunday night/Monday morning, both my hips are killing me. They hurt right in the front on the joint itself. Basically if you put your hands on your hips it would be where your fingers touch in the front. They don't hurt constantly, just when I need to use the joint (upon standing, upon sitting, when I start to walk) CRAP!! (not the word I want to use but I don't want to offend...) Last year I had a similar pain on the right side only, much worse though, that stopped me from all impact exercises for over 9 mths. At that time, per x-ray my right hip was dropped and tilted forward.

In hindsight I see that taking that big of a jump was not smart and obviously too much. So my question is now - what to do? Do I do nothing this week to recover? Do I only do biking & swimming but no running? Do I ice? Heat? Do I still do the race on Sunday if I have soreness? no soreness? Am I screwed never to able to run in this life? (dramatic, I know...)

I have a standing Chiro appt on Friday and a previously planned appt with a Sports Medicine doc on June 17th. I'm so mad at myself right now for that decision. I only had 2 goals for this tri season: to get to my 1 race uninjured and to finish the race uninjured. Realizing I may have blown that goal or set it back big time...

Well I see you learned that treadmill running and running out side are are two different animals. There is even a marked difference between road and paved trails and woodland trails. In response to your question I'd see what you chiropractor and dr says. In the mean time since your not training for a "do or die" race I'd let pain be your guide. So if it hurts, no matter what the activity is, don't do it. Remember the pain response is there in part to warn us of an injury and to avoid using the injured part. You may (just a suggestion here) want to back out of your race. I did that a few years ago and told the director to keep my entry fee as my charity contribution.

But in the end it's truly your decision. Just wanted to put my 0.02
    2013-05-28 3:09 PM
    in reply to: iamDawnAnderson

Extreme Veteran
    Originally posted by iamDawnAnderson

Wendy, I thought your name was Dawn, I am so confused

Now to the question at hand and a couple of comments, but remember what I said at the start of this I'm not a doctor or trainer. My opinion is this, take today and maybe tomorrow off, then if you can swim and / or bike without pain then I don't see a problem with you doing so. However if it starts to hurt you should discontinue that exercise as well. There are so many things at play here, from your past problems it could be something serious. Then again it could just be that you over did it and are really sore in that area and will be fine in a couple days. Don't go jumping off a bridge or anything, just take it one day at a time. I can tell you that I did a half marathon trail run and was twice as sore the next day as the one that I had done prior on the road. Your foot slips more, therefore traction is not as good, which can lead to the use of different muscle groups. I don't know if your Chiro will be able to help or tell you much, but if the pain persist or gets worse you need to visit your doctor.

Now to the other point I wanted to make in reference to your post, and trust me you are not alone in the belief. You do not have to have done a distance prior to race day in order to do it, which I know you know but alot of people think they do. You don't run a marathon to know that you can show up and run a marathon, much different but it is what it is. You will have some that say you should have done a half / full marathon before doing a half / full ironman to know what it feels like at the end. Who says, sometimes ignorance is bliss. I'm not say you don't need to train well for it and be prepared, but nothing says you had to have done the distance prior to that date. The other thing is how close you attempt to do something to the event to confirm you can do it. On the other hand there are times that you need to know you can do a distance, most importantly in the swim, but then again you can drown doing that. All of this is just my .02

2013-05-28 3:50 PM

Veteran
    Louisville
    So since I'm not racing currently I decided to do the next best thing this weekend. Those who can't do, VOLUNTEER! I volunteered for a couple of races (running and tris) last year and it is so so SO much fun. Super excited to be able to volunteer for a local tri on Sunday! If you haven't done it before, I highly recommend it, especially if you've never raced or have only raced a little. You learn so much about transitions especially when volunteering so I'm excited that even though I won't be there racing I'll be able to help out anyway!
    2013-05-28 10:53 PM

Veteran
    Whooooo Hoooooo!!!!!! Got cleared to return to traibtoday. Doc tried to tell me to take it easy. Yeah right, not in my Type A nature. I was so excited I decided to do all four of my sports to test how my knee would hold up. So I did a 2 mile run, 40 minutes in the weight room, 1200 yard swim, finally a 20 minute ride on the trainer doing steady state pushing a higher gear. My knee held up great and I hope to jump in training full force.

Hope everyone is doing well on their various phases of training.

Beth
    2013-05-29 4:22 AM

Originally posted by Lovey

The more the merrier / misery likes company - you decide which to use

If "week" one is any indication how long this is going to take me I could be working on this program until I qualify for social security! By all means jump in there and give it a go. So far I have loosely followed the program in that I will cover the overall daily distance (and usually adding some more) by at least completing the intervals specified.

For ex. Yesterday I did the 4x100 yard portions however completed another 600 yards essentially all 50 yard sessions. I don't usually do the 25 yard lengths mainly because that would leave me resting in the deep end.
    2013-05-29 5:54 AM
    in reply to: Usulsuspct

Gold Coast, Australia
    It's great to read everyone's posts, there's a real sense of enthusiasm here ! I feel I'm just plugging away at it at the moment, building base fitness (keeping a steady level at least). I've got a lot of other committments at the moment, I'm looking forward to getting some of them out of the way in the next few weeks and giving a bit more attention to training.
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 45