BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2013-07-25 4:24 PM
in reply to: tmoran80

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- CLOSED
I have posted this before but here is the video I took of the pro and Craig Alexander at Racine 70.3 last year. They are just so minimal and quick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3HTwrs9uz4.

I also have a picture of Crowies transition set up. Again just the basics and set up very simple.

(Crowie Transition.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Crowie Transition.jpg (45KB - 19 downloads)

2013-07-25 5:15 PM

User image

Regular
I agree. The more simple, the better. I am not an experienced triathlete (less than two years competing), but I am consistently top three in my AG in T1 and T2.
Here are some of things I do:

1. I make the set-up simple and logical.
2. Practice the transitions! Two nights before the race, I practice the full transitions at least three times. Laying everything out and include get my wet-suit on and stripping it; jumping bike mount; etc.
3. Leading up to a race, I visualize myself going through T1 and T2 and force my self to think about each step of the process.
4. On race day, I walk through the swim out; bike out; bike in; run out; and run in. Again, visualizing the transition process.
5. I am always willing to learn new tid-bits that will speed up the process.
6. Come race time, it is second nature and I dont think much about it.

Just my 2cp.

Todd
2013-07-26 1:33 AM
in reply to: ettringite23

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
Troy - nice job on your HIM, great report and way to gut it out on the swim!

Todd & Gil - you have plenty of time to think about it as entry wont be till next June anyway. At the end of the day for me it is going to depend largely on finances but I am going to do my best to get there.

So Deb is doing Ironman Lake Placid this weekend, is anyone else racing??

Anyway good luck Deb, you are going to do awesome, just trust in your training and when it gets hard remember we are all thinking of you and willing you to the finishing line... RFP babe!!!!
2013-07-26 1:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
I guess considering what's at stake they need to pick up time wherever they can.

I don't think I'll ever be someone who transitions fast. I need the time to compose myself, especially from swim to bike.. bike to run isn't as bad..

Originally posted by tmoran80

I have posted this before but here is the video I took of the pro and Craig Alexander at Racine 70.3 last year. They are just so minimal and quick.

I also have a picture of Crowies transition set up. Again just the basics and set up very simple.
2013-07-28 5:08 PM
in reply to: kruzmeister

User image

Regular
First Podium!!!

I will give the details later, but Concreteman 2013 was a success! I got 2nd in my age group out of only 7, but a podium nonetheless I had a beast of a bike ride on a very, very hilly course! Details to come...
2013-07-28 5:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH
Congratulations!! That is FANTASTIC!

Originally posted by ettringite23

First Podium!!!

I will give the details later, but Concreteman 2013 was a success! I got 2nd in my age group out of only 7, but a podium nonetheless I had a beast of a bike ride on a very, very hilly course! Details to come...

2013-07-28 7:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Congratulations Todd, that is awesome!!!

First Podium!!!

2013-07-28 7:28 PM
in reply to: krazytallchick

User image

Extreme Veteran
Simone, I will have to think about Coeur d'Alene in 2015. Right now I just need to get thru IMAZ before I even think about another. Sounds like fun if I can get my act together.
2013-07-29 3:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
Congrats Todd on an awesome achievement!!

First Podium!!!

2013-07-29 3:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
No worries Kathy, Coeur d'Alene isn't set in stone, Deb also mentioned Mont-Tremblant.

Originally posted by krazytallchick

Simone, I will have to think about Coeur d'Alene in 2015. Right now I just need to get thru IMAZ before I even think about another. Sounds like fun if I can get my act together.
2013-07-29 10:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I am guessing they had lots of practice taking their wetsuits off as they made it look so simple.

Originally posted by tmoran80

2013-07-29 8:36 PM
in reply to: kruzmeister

User image

Regular
Here is a link to my race report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Overall, I had a very good race! I got 2nd in my age group out of 10. Here are some of my things I did well and not-so-well:

Swim:
I didnt warm up. I have found this is key for me to have a good swim. I need to institute a swim warm up and/or some land activities. I had the worst OWS in my short tri career....which is very disapointing with my increase swim volume and increased speeds in the pool. I continue to have sighting issues. I really need to practice this more. My head was not into it prior to the swim. I normally get excited and have butterflies in my stomach...all good things IMO. But, this time, I was just thinking...."get this swim done". Attitude adjustment! My form was bad..first time this has happened. I was breathing harder than normal and felt like throwing up..I think this is because of me taking on water. I need to practice more OWS, period!

T1: Good, had issues getting nutrition in my tri-suit. Need to work on that.

Bike:
I had a very good bike. This is by FAR the hilliest course I have every been on: training or race. I did very well climbing and on downhills. I have been biking hills once per week, and this paid off. I have created this aero postion where I almost put my chin on the handlebars; hands on drops; sit way back on my seat; and tuck my elbows in tight. I have learned to ride this out as long as possible prior to peddling. I think this paid off well in the race. This helped keep my HR down and preserved precious energy I drank Powerade throughout. I tried a Clif bar and could not get it down. I need to try gels again and see if any work for me. During the last 1/2 mile, I lowered my gear and spun-out my legs. I think this was beneficial to my good run. I have learned (from tight quads and calves in previous races) that this helps out tremendously. Averaged 19.3 MPH! I was anticipating 17.5 based on my training and amount of hills.

T2: Very good; even with starting the run by heading towards the bike out...rookie mistake! Ran and jumped on the bike...went well. Had trouble getting my feet in my shoes fully; the tongue of the shoes was twisted. Just need to work on that. Need to work on getting more speed prior to tightening down my shoes. Had a rubber band not break; this can be corrected by selecting the right rubber bands to tie up my shoes.

Run:
The run was very good. I had a negative split and finished very strong. Was shooting for sub 8 min miles. I averaged 7:35 and finished strong. I think I could have pushed a little harder.
2013-07-30 9:14 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Good Morning Team.

Home from IM LP safe and sound - had a great time, ankle is getting better and now starting to worry about IM MTB in 3 weeks.

Todd - great race and congrats on the podium.

Troy - awesome report and awesome job.

REGARDING IMCDL 2015

That would be 4 in a row for me? I was considering it for this year to be honest - so - I would probably do it - let keep chatting about it

OK - Now I need some help to get me to IMMTB in 3 weeks. I need your thoughts on how to finish off my training?

I have missed way to much based on injury and house move to worry about the ship that has already sailed so now I have to worry about how to finish off my training.

I am going to do a long ride today followed by a run.

Any suggestions on what to do in the remaining 20 days?

KC
2013-07-30 11:47 AM
in reply to: kcgolf

User image

Extreme Veteran
KC, wouldn't you now be in tapering mode? You will need to give yourself at least 2 weeks off of hard workouts before the race as I am sure you are not ready to taper. At this point I would say just get your long bike and run in and not worry too much about the other stuff. And bubble wrap yourself the other times.
2013-07-31 10:03 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Yes I should be in Taper - but I am now in panick mode

KC

KC, wouldn't you now be in tapering mode? You will need to give yourself at least 2 weeks off of hard workouts before the race as I am sure you are not ready to taper. At this point I would say just get your long bike and run in and not worry too much about the other stuff. And bubble wrap yourself the other times.
2013-07-31 1:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH
Do any of you use the online coaching through BT? If you do, what do you think? I am sure it is just nerves with my first full ironman being only 39 days away but I am beginning to doubt all that I have done and question if I really am ready for this.

2013-07-31 2:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH
I think "Taper" is just coach code for PANIC! So you are right on schedule!

Originally posted by kcgolf

Yes I should be in Taper - but I am now in panick mode

KC

2013-07-31 2:24 PM

User image

Holy cow, outstanding!
2013-07-31 2:27 PM
in reply to: MikeMcK

User image

Dumb question: I've been running in Z2 for a while now and I'm now doing 11 min/miles (so better than 13, but far from great). Should I be mixing in some faster work on my short days or something?
2013-07-31 6:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH
Heart rate training works when your week consists of a variety of runs. Because we are training for long endurance events, we run a lot in Z2. However, it is really good if you can pick a short run once a week and run in Z4 or Z5.

Originally posted by MikeMcK

Dumb question: I've been running in Z2 for a while now and I'm now doing 11 min/miles (so better than 13, but far from great). Should I be mixing in some faster work on my short days or something?
2013-07-31 7:23 PM
in reply to: mkennedy0525

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hi Michelle.

I don't use the online coaching but I do create my plans on BT and they seem ok for a MOP of the BOP like me

KC

Originally posted by mkennedy0525

Do any of you use the online coaching through BT? If you do, what do you think? I am sure it is just nerves with my first full ironman being only 39 days away but I am beginning to doubt all that I have done and question if I really am ready for this.

2013-07-31 7:25 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hi Mike.

I think mixing in some speed work will help you for sure. Tim will know the answer to this one.

KC

Originally posted by MikeMcK

2013-07-31 7:26 PM
in reply to: mkennedy0525

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Michelle - you will do awesome at Cedar Pointe. I hear that is an outstanding race and an amazing venue.

KC

Originally posted by mkennedy0525

2013-07-31 8:22 PM
in reply to: #4745108

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hi Team. I have booked my athlete tracker for Ironman Mont Tremblant if anyone is interested in following a real slow beeping object across a computer screen for an entire day. If you are not familiar with it you can check it out right here.
www.myathletelive.com

Kc
2013-07-31 8:47 PM

User image

Regular
Mike,

I am a triathlete noob, but I have been told to work some speed work into my running. It depends on your goals as well. Tim can answer your question bettter, but training for your first sprint or Ironman, there are likely different approaches. In my first year training for triathlons (last year), I trained all wrong I did a lot of Z3 and Z4 work. This year, in training for my first olympic, I do two runs per week in Z2 (longer runs) and then speed work. Lately, my speed work comes from running races and sprint tris.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 28