Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2007-05-03 11:59 AM
in reply to: #629883

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Subject: RE: MarkQuiet's group - FULL

Hey, I have a question about registering for my first tri.  I figure the natural thing is to register in the "novice" group, but, I checked last year's Crystal River races and there normally are few women in my age category which means I'd have a chance to actually place.  I know one girl who is doing a first time tri and is going to be a novice who will kill all of us in the swim and she's an animal so I imagine she'll really have a good time.  My question is, would it be better to register as a "novice" or in my age group?

After hearing stories of the St. Anthony's tri last weekend I definitely want to stay as much away from people during the swim as I can.  They had 4' waves and even the kayakers were capsizing.  They had to literally rescue 50-60 swimmers.  OMG.  I'm praying for calm waters.

Tara

2007-05-03 12:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Oh ya, about the St. Pete tri (St. Anthony's) I heard they found a woman face down and dead in the water.  (4,000 people started the race)   Her nose was broken.  I'm wearing a football helmet!
2007-05-04 8:24 AM

Regular
All,
thought I'd do some updating, since Kirk is chastising us for slacking off. I'm transferring to Fort Leonardwood, MO at the end of May. It's closer to home (Dallas) and it's close to friends in St. Louis.
I've signed up to do the "Who Tri's Harder" Octomax Triathlon at Innwood, MO on June 23rd. 500yard swim, 18m bike, 3m run.
Hope I'm ready.
Good luck to everyone else this summer!
Tony

Edited by colwins440 2007-05-12 2:42 PM
2007-05-04 10:31 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

Tony:  Those are good distances for your first tri.  You'll be ready. 

All: My 2 cents for your training - Pick your "weakest" event and make sure you can comfortably go the distance (and beyond).  Then start doing bricks at or near the distances.  Nothing else can prepare your body for the sometimes awkward feelings between swim/bike and especially, bike/run.

We've got a full weekend of racing, here.  Texmom, my arse-kicking wife, is doing a sprint tomorrow.  She'll be joined by 2 newbies - her friend (yoblondie) and her 76 y.o. daddy.  He just recently signed up to do this; however, he's been swimming a mile or two a week for the last 40 years, has run the last two Cowtown marathons (Feb. events) and has a crazy hybrid-style "road bike" he had built by several bike shops over the years.  After going out and doing the distances (super brick?) last weekend, he signed up.  This should be a great time tomorrow.  Then, on Sunday, I'm racing the same course.

Who else is playing this weekend?

2007-05-04 8:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
10K over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge on Sunday. 1st third uphill, 2nd third downhill, last third flat. Using it as a training run to judge my level now. 6 months ago, this would have been unthinkable for me to do a road race. My knees may be saying that again come Monday.
2007-05-04 10:35 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Nice.  Go have fun with it.

2007-05-05 3:05 AM

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA
Frank and Doug - Best of luck this weekend.  Have lots of fun. 
2007-05-06 8:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
The race this weekend was the Governor's Bay Bridge run. It is/was a 10k over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. Once a year, the Transit Authority shuts down one of the two spans and lets the local club run the race and lets people walk across it.
Got up this morning all ready. When I walked the dog, it seemed cold and windy. When I got to the park where we loaded the buses, it was colder and the wind off the bay was howlin mad. About a minute after we got on the bus, we got word it was cancelled. Bummer. Apparently gets can cancelled every 5th year or so.
So I went home.
I figured I would run my normal 5 mile loop just to see how it felt to run with some rest. It felt great. Normally i don't push the runs. Today I did a little, and I did 8 minute miles, with plenty left in the tank when I finished.
So a mixed bag. Bummed the race was scheduled, but the run after went great.
2007-05-07 10:37 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

Bummer on the cancellation.

Our tris were not cancelled for wind - but there sure was a lot of it.  Full weekend of fun, with the 8 y.o. doing her first tri this coming Sunday.  Extra! Extra! READ ALL ABOUT IT! http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=74815

db

2007-05-07 7:51 PM
in reply to: #791294

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
It must feel good to pass people on the swim. I have no expectations but for being on the other side of swim passing.
2007-05-08 5:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL

Way to go Doug and Texmom - sounds like you guys really get into it as a family affair.  Sounds like your father-in-law enjoyed himself - awesome!

Frank too bad about the race, especially considering that awesome time - that's just a dream for me.

Hope everyone has a great week!

Tara

2007-05-09 10:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
I have to say I was doubtful about the idea of just long slow distance runs and low heart rates. It is contrary to my intuition. As with most things, however, it has proven to be spot on. Low heart rates, frequent sessions, long distances (relatively) have made a huge difference. I could not have sniffed an 8 minute mile 5k 6 mohts ago, or even fathomed lasting longer than a 5k.
2007-05-09 10:35 AM
in reply to: #794341

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA
fgray, this is good to hear, I'm also resistant to long slow distance runs.  I think that it is time that I give it a try.  So, since running is new to me and a 5k is still close to as far as I've run so far (a little more but nothing significant), what would I consider a long distance run.
2007-05-09 10:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL

I'm interested in LSDs too.  What's the deal?  I'm sort of toying with the thought of a Oly next year (am I nuts?) and understand I'd have to increase distances in everything, but, even if I keep doing sprints, how long should my LSDs be?  Is the focus on the length of time rather than the speed?  I assume it would be fine to walk part way in order to be able to complete the entire time.  I'm all ears....

tb

2007-05-10 11:09 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

I, too, was all about speed, once, but am now very comfortable with LSDs.  As Tony the Tiger says, "they're grrreat!"  You'll find you can go longer at a relatively slower pace (for me in the 10s) and it really helps build endurance.  My little Garmin friend has been invaluable for slowing me down when I naturally speed up (as is my naturally slower running buddy).  You can mix a little speed work in via accelerations, etc. but don't overdo it.  When it comes to race day, my overall times have plummeted - sub 8s for my last sprint tri (5k) and low 8s for my recent Oly (10k).  Numbers which last year were not fathomable.

As for making the leap from sprints to olys and beyond, go for it.  My first tri this season (and 4th ever) was an oly.  It was great.  They are different, though and your preparation has to be on distance/endurance.  Speed comes naturally after that.  Now, ready or not (I've paid already), I'm training for a HIM in October.  I'm also considering a crazy midnight 25k run in July.  Point is, it's do-able.

Keep up the good work and you'll get there.

db

2007-05-12 2:50 PM
in reply to: #788598

Regular
Doug,
I took your advice and did a bike/run brick today. I did the stationary bike 18 miles in 61:10, got a drink of water and went over to a treadmill and ran 3 miles in 29:20. Now I know the feeling, even if it was all indoors. My legs are stiff, but I'm relieved that I was able to get it done.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Tony

2007-05-14 6:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Pennsylvania
Can I get some explanation on the LSD idea? Is there a target heart rate range we should try to stay in (i.e., 70% or 80%)? Is there a distance we should gun for initially (such as 125% of our longest prior run)? I know I may be jumping the gun with the concept considering I can't seem to get a 5K together without slowing to a quick walk at portions, but I'm looking for something to jumpstart the run portion of my training. I need to improve my run times - I'm about 70 days out from my first tri, and I'm not confident in the run at all.

I hope everyone's healthy and doing well.
2007-05-14 12:29 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

Stump - run, walk, crawl - all you have to do is get across that finish line.  It can and will be done - especially with just over 2 months of training left. 

Here's another piece of hair-brained advice.  Go observe (or better yet jockstrap [volunteer]) at a local tri prior to yours.  You'll get a feel for the event overall and just how supportive they really are.  Every one I've attended has seen the gamut of body sizes, types and ages.  I'll post a picture of just such an example soon - A skinny 30 something woman finishing her run and a not so skinny woman (50s maybe) out for her run (btw - I've seen this woman at more than one of these events).  It just goes to show you that every type of person "tris".  -- somebody tell me how to put a picture in a message, please.

As for LSDs (whoa, far out, man).  I just go.  I bring my electronic gadgets, but I don't train in zones at all so I can't answer that one.

Edited by dblack1801 2007-05-14 12:31 PM
2007-05-14 4:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL

I have a running question (or maybe its just a "finishing" question) for those who have raced and wrestled with the mental stuff that goes with the race.  I did a full practice run this weekend and I KNOW without a doubt that I will be able to finish the race most likely without walking (unless I don't hydrate properly or something like that), but, when I see that finish line (in the race I'm doing in 2 weeks, you can see it from about 1/2 mile out), my stupid brain starts telling me I can't make it.  I know I can and I tell myself that but it is like I'm in a torture chamber.  A couple of folks blogged me on my training log with some good ideas.  Any other ideas out there?

Also, I have a question about a race belt.  I'm wearing a tri outfit and am not going to be adding a shirt or anything so I can't have my number preattached to the shirt.  I have a hydration belt that I can pin my number to.  Would that be okay or is a race belt what I should have?

Thanks for any input you can give.  Getting nervous.....

2007-05-14 8:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
Tbryant: try just looking like 10 feet in front of you. And, remember race days are crazy, people cheering and such, especially near the finish. It will be hard to stop near the finish, if anything you'll go harder than in a training run.
As for the race belt, just use anything that shows the number.

Edited by fgray 2007-05-14 8:24 PM
2007-05-14 8:37 PM
in reply to: #799215

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
stump: search the forum for the heart rate training: 220-age the truth. It has a great explination. The idea is to do a test to determine where your heart rates are now, then train long slow distances to keep the heart rates low during training. By keeping it low, you can exercise longer and recover faster.

2007-05-14 9:52 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
T- look at a race belt in a store, then go out and modify your hydration belt and turn it into a race belt.  I copied my race belt and made 2 for Christmas gifts.  All you'll need to do is add the little stretchy string thingys and the toggles.  I used an old sewing machine, but this could be hand sewn, too.  If you don't have time or don't want to wear your hydration belt (you could ditch the bottles for the tri - or keep 'em with you for moral support - think, finish line) then for $10-15 you can pick up a race belt.  You'll see all things at your tri, including people swimming with their numbers pinned to their tri suits.  I use my race belt for all my events, now, not just tris.
2007-05-15 4:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth
Hey all, I know I have been a slacker menotr for the past couple of months. My apologies if I let anyone down. Thanks to Dough for keeping up with the thread (which is a big surprise considering how quiet he can be in his blogs). I have just read the post from Ron (BT God) about the mentor threads. He will be leaving the threads open for as long as we want to continue to use them or we can just disband the group altogether. This is really YOUR thread and YOUR group. It is up to all of you to make that decision. If the group wants to continue posting here I am all for it and will try to take a more active role going forward. Just post here what you would like to do.
2007-05-15 6:00 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
I'll keep posting if y'all will.
2007-05-15 6:36 PM

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA