BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-06-07 5:09 PM
in reply to: #2905636

User image

Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!

SteveA: Your rides always sound so scenic and beautiful (except for the one in which you almost got cozy with the side of a car!) I see you guys talk about hill grades a lot. How do you determine the grade of a hill? Thanks! Tracey

I use www.mapmyride.com in order to calculate grades and total elevation.  Cool, free site to use when planning out rides, calculating distances, grades, etc.  You can create a free profile, and then plan and save as many routes as you like.  You can also search for rides others have created in your area, and go out and do those as well.  It's a great resource!

I've gotten pretty good at guessing what kind of grades I'm on by using the site to review stuff I've ridden before.  The other cool thing about it is that you can use the Google Earth view of the route you save and actually see the road itself that you'd be riding on, and get a feel for the quality of the road, the size of the shoulder, etc. 

But, yes, I gotta say, I LOVE the freedom that riding gives me.  I was doing that scouting drive to see a route and it struck me just how much beautiful scenery is out there.

2010-06-07 5:12 PM
in reply to: #2903610

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
After eating a huge breakfast, 2 Luna Bars, and a few bugs (on accident, of course) during the 44 mile group ride yesterday, I was still pretty hungry at the end and definitely low on sugar. I didn't try mixing any Gatorade into my water because I forgot, but I think I'm going to need a little more than 2 water bottles for this Oly. I sucked down at least 4 this morning. Oy.

Per ANNE's raving reviews and STEVEB's recommendations, I think I'm going to try the gels next time. Although, I am proud to say that I managed to open and consume a Luna Bar while going 20 mph down the road without wiping out. Granted, it took me a couple miles, but I remained upright the entire time. And I thought my bike handling skills were horrible...

Speaking of bike handling, I also finally figured out and got comfortable with braking and shifting in the drops, although I'm still wary of the braking. I don't feel like I get enough oomf when I'm using my fingertips, so I tend to get out of the drops for serious braking.

And I really need a new saddle if I'm going to be going long, preferably before the tri in three weeks, but probably not knowing my decision-making skills (or lack thereof).

Edited by augeremt 2010-06-07 6:02 PM
2010-06-07 5:24 PM
in reply to: #2903259

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
Mark,

Very sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. Hope you and your wife and her family are holding up well.

Kasia
2010-06-07 5:28 PM
in reply to: #2903591

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
thall0672 - 2010-06-06 1:25 PM
stevebradley - 2010-06-05 11:01 PM TRACEY once more - The Pumpkinman sprint is on Sept. 11, and it's in South Berwick. The distances are 1/3mile/14mile/3mile. Unless they have changed the course, the biggest challenge is the run from swim exit to T1, which climbs a large hill. I think for the half they offer an award for the person who runs the hill the fastest. But maybe they have changed that part of it. I haven't done P-man, but it has a very good reputataion. This year will be its 3rd or 4th, I think. And it's a good thing that, a la Timberman, the sprint and half-iron are held on different days!
Thanks Steve. I knew about Pumpkinman, sort of. I think I knew it was in New England in late summer but wasn't sure where. For my current races, I'm thinking of staying more local since there seem to be so many around the Massachusetts area. Just because scheduling travel can be such a hassle, it'll make it easier in the future if I decide to do the same races in upcoming seasons to see how I progress. (At the time I registered for Timberman, I had absolutely no idea how common tri races were. Before that, I was planning to do the Danskin tri in Webster, Mass, but it sold out very quickly. So I immediately signed up for the next local-ish one I could find that had registration open, which was Timberman.) I'm thinking possibly the Title 9 women's tri in Hopkinton on September 12th (also a Max Performance race).

Apparently Pumpkinman is a popular tri race name since I'm doing one of the same name in October but in Vegas, a far cry from Maine. Hopefully it cools down by then.
2010-06-07 5:28 PM
in reply to: #2903587

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
thall0672 - 2010-06-06 1:18 PM
stevebradley - 2010-06-05 10:38 PM KASIA - Very true about one-legged drills showing you where the dead spots are ---- and also how prominent they are! If you do this, find a gearing where there is some resistance. You don't want is so easy that you're spining, or so hard that it is a real effort. It's a pretty cool exercise in pedaling inefficiencies!
I'm assuming this is done on a bike trainer, right?

Haha, nope! Down the block and back up it again a few times. People were staring. But it was very informative.
2010-06-07 5:44 PM
in reply to: #2903607

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
Shaun,

Awesome job on your first tri! Especially since you were "holding back". The times don't really show that, though Must've been really cool to hear your name as you crossed the finish line.

Congrats!!!

Kasia

2010-06-07 5:44 PM
in reply to: #2903894

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
stevebradley - 2010-06-06 5:17 PM TRACEY again - One-legged drills work best on a trainer where you can hook the top of your foot over one of the supports, but it can also be done with nothing to hook the feet on, and they just stay kind of crooked-up behind thre pedal they are no longer attached to. An empty parking lot is the safest place, but a scant-used road with wide shoulders is also good....enough. Silly Sox loss today, but the real focus is on the Celts tonight!!!

My non-attached foot was kind of ghost-pedaling involuntarily. It was kind of weird. I guess I'm just used to moving both feet on a bike so it was hard to just dangle the leg without moving it. I felt like the dogs that move their feet in the air if you scratch the right spot.
2010-06-07 5:53 PM
in reply to: #2906577

User image

Champion

ANNE -

Good news for you! Through a change of plans with Lynn, I ended up riding in the Gatineau Hills today, so the following is based on REAL hills, as opposed to the rather sketchy excuse for hills that grow more locally.

Here's what I learned:
-- I am in an 11-25 cogset (I think i thought it was 11-23!)
-- I am 6'2", but more of my height is in my torso than from the waist down; that might be worth factoring into where I am positioned
-- When I am out of the saddle and pushing hard, my chest in over the mid-point of my aerobars
-- In that same position, my face is just forward of the middle of my wheel; were a plumbline attached to my nose, it would dangle down just barely in front of my hub
-- When less aggressive, it all drops back so that my chest is above the pad on the aerobars, and my nose is just back of the top middle of the front wheel
-- Because I rock the bike when I am out of the saddle, I never actually get goosed, but the contact just gently bops against my "sits bones". I mention this becasue you made a comment (I think?) about rocking the bike
-- When I am effectively spinning those small circles, I can quite easily maintain 90+rpm. On the steepest part of the Gat Hill loop, I did four "tests":
(1) in my 23 cog, 92rpm
(2) in my 23 cog, 93rpm
(3) in my 23 cog, 88rpm (this was the absolute steepest part)
(4) in my 25 cog, 96rpm (I shifted from 23 to 25 on the last stage of the steepest part
--Those last two show how much difference there can be in just going to the next easiest cog
-- When I am at 88-86rpm, the circles are beginning to ovalize some; not much, but some
-- At 90rpm or above, it is all in place for me, and those seated climbs are pretty effortless; that reflect perfect(ish) circles

--Uh, I had some info in my head about at what point a hard climb out of the saddle loses efficiency, and thuscalls for sitting down and getting to spinning.....but I forgot what i came up with. Sorry!

Does any of the above help? Have a great ride tomorrow!!!

2010-06-07 6:04 PM
in reply to: #2906653

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-06-07 6:53 PM ANNE - Good news for you! Through a change of plans with Lynn, I ended up riding in the Gatineau Hills today, so the following is based on REAL hills, as opposed to the rather sketchy excuse for hills that grow more locally. Here's what I learned: -- I am in an 11-25 cogset (I think i thought it was 11-23!) -- I am 6'2", but more of my height is in my torso than from the waist down; that might be worth factoring into where I am positioned -- When I am out of the saddle and pushing hard, my chest in over the mid-point of my aerobars -- In that same position, my face is just forward of the middle of my wheel; were a plumbline attached to my nose, it would dangle down just barely in front of my hub -- When less aggressive, it all drops back so that my chest is above the pad on the aerobars, and my nose is just back of the top middle of the front wheel -- Because I rock the bike when I am out of the saddle, I never actually get goosed, but the contact just gently bops against my "sits bones". I mention this becasue you made a comment (I think?) about rocking the bike -- When I am effectively spinning those small circles, I can quite easily maintain 90+rpm. On the steepest part of the Gat Hill loop, I did four "tests": (1) in my 23 cog, 92rpm (2) in my 23 cog, 93rpm (3) in my 23 cog, 88rpm (this was the absolute steepest part) (4) in my 25 cog, 96rpm (I shifted from 23 to 25 on the last stage of the steepest part --Those last two show how much difference there can be in just going to the next easiest cog -- When I am at 88-86rpm, the circles are beginning to ovalize some; not much, but some -- At 90rpm or above, it is all in place for me, and those seated climbs are pretty effortless; that reflect perfect(ish) circles --Uh, I had some info in my head about at what point a hard climb out of the saddle loses efficiency, and thuscalls for sitting down and getting to spinning.....but I forgot what i came up with. Sorry! Does any of the above help? Have a great ride tomorrow!!!

Thanks for this!   Yes it does help, and I am going to print this page and take it with me.   I am only 5' tall, so I was thinking my head position would be different than yours, but maybe not, given that my bike will also be smaller. 

When I was reading your different cadence(s) it reminded me that when I was doing my bike test today, he started it out at 100 watts, and I wasn't pedalling very fast and it felt hard.   I made a comment that 'boy this is going to be rough with 100 watts feeling tough' and he said to start pedalling faster and that it would be easier and sure enough, when I got the cadence up to 90+ is was easy, and at every segment where he increased the watts I could feel it, but pedalled faster and it got easier.   That must have something to do with why I seem to do OK on the hills.   He tried to explain the physics behind it to me, but I failed physics.  

Glad to hear you had a good day for a ride.  

2010-06-07 7:08 PM
in reply to: #2906471

User image

latestarter - 2010-06-07 2:26 PM
thall0672 - 2010-06-06 3:38 PM Anyone ever heard of "train gain"? I think this is happening to me! I hope it doesn't sound like an excuse for overeating, but since I started training for tris I'm just soooo hungry all the time. I've gained about 8 or 10 pounds since last fall when I started my training. I can attribute a few pounds of that to holiday overeating for sure, but most of it has come on since the beginning of the year. My nutritionist told me this can be common in women. Men respond to training by becoming lean and losing weight, but women respond by getting hungrier, holding on to every last ounce of body fat, and sometimes gaining weight. She says it's evolutionary: men are designed to be lean and strong to be able to chase down prey, and women are designed to keep their body fat so they can bear offspring. Makes total sense, but it's so frustrating! My nutritionist put my on a plan of around 1800 calories a day, which is supposed to provide enough energy to train and also support gradual weight loss (I'd really like to take off 20 pounds or so). But most days I'm just starving. I haven't lost any weight since I first started the plan in April. In fact, I've gained a couple. I'm going to start tracking my protein intake and see if I need to increase it. She recommends 75-100g per day for me and I've kind of just assumed I'm getting enough, but maybe not.

That sucks!    You might be interested in checking out my log today.   I had my RMR tested and a bike LT test.    Your nutritionist says some interesting stuff.  The kinesiologist said that the reason we get hungry is often a combination of training at an intensity too high for our current fitness level and not eating enough.    If we train too hard, we burn more carbs.   Body won't even touch the fat.  

For my current height and weight I will now be eating 2150 per day and losing 1/4 pound per week.   That is assuming that my 2150 calories are "quality" carriers - no crackers, white breads, processed foods, etc.  

I'm going to have to start tracking my food as well - no more winging it. 

Chiming in from the Peanut Gallery:
1)  Throw out the scale - muscle weighs more than fat - many people are losing fat, gaining muscle, and in turn, either treading water on weight, or maybe gaining some.  Better to use a tape measure around your critical measurements (calves, thighs, hips, waist, arms, etc.) and monitor inches.  I found in my IMSG training that I lost a lot of weight in the first few months, and then plateaued, even though I was still getting smaller. 
2)  I'd have to disagree with the kineseologist.  From what I've read and been taught, you'd have to be working REALLY hard, Z4 and Z5 type efforts, to be burning pure sugar (carbs).  What's more likely to be happening is that you are burning a higher percentage of sugar (carbs) than fat at the higher intensities.  But, more is often more.  Look at it this way.  If in an hour of a solid workout, you burn 1,000 calories of which 25% are fat, you burned 250 fat calories.  If in the same hour, you work really hard and burn 1,200 calories, but only 22% of them are fat, you still burned 264 fat calories.  They are a smaller percentage of calories burned, but still more fat than at the lower intensity.  Typically, a Z2 HR effort will burn the highest percentage of calories from fat.  But while the higher Z2 or Z3 will burn a lower percentage, the fact you are burning so many more total calories means you are likely burning more total fat calories as well. 

But I hear you.  It's HARD to lose the weight when you're training, because you're hungry all the time and all you want to do is eat.  I'm on day one of watching the calories again, and I'm already dying!  LOL. 
2010-06-07 8:53 PM
in reply to: #2906774

Master
Kitchener
SAquavia - 2010-06-07 8:08 PM
latestarter - 2010-06-07 2:26 PM

Chiming in from the Peanut Gallery:
1)  Throw out the scale - muscle weighs more than fat - many people are losing fat, gaining muscle, and in turn, either treading water on weight, or maybe gaining some.  Better to use a tape measure around your critical measurements (calves, thighs, hips, waist, arms, etc.) and monitor inches.  I found in my IMSG training that I lost a lot of weight in the first few months, and then plateaued, even though I was still getting smaller. 

I agree with you totally on this which is how I have operated over the last couple of years and have pretty much maintained my weight.   Some people would say that 123 for a 5' person is overweight but I felt great.   However, because I have not been eating enough calories, my body has been using lean muscle for energy - the body will do what it has to do get the job done.  So, for the next month or so I plan to keep an eye on total calories, especially protein.   When I started Bikram yoga I gained 2 pounds and lost LOTS of inches.    Over the past few months though, I have lost about 4 pounds and haven't really been paying attention to my food intake. 

2)  I'd have to disagree with the kineseologist.  From what I've read and been taught, you'd have to be working REALLY hard, Z4 and Z5 type efforts, to be burning pure sugar (carbs).  What's more likely to be happening is that you are burning a higher percentage of sugar (carbs) than fat at the higher intensities.  But, more is often more.  Look at it this way.  If in an hour of a solid workout, you burn 1,000 calories of which 25% are fat, you burned 250 fat calories.  If in the same hour, you work really hard and burn 1,200 calories, but only 22% of them are fat, you still burned 264 fat calories.  They are a smaller percentage of calories burned, but still more fat than at the lower intensity.  Typically, a Z2 HR effort will burn the highest percentage of calories from fat.  But while the higher Z2 or Z3 will burn a lower percentage, the fact you are burning so many more total calories means you are likely burning more total fat calories as well. 

I may not have explained myself thoroughly.   I also agree with you on this and that if you work harder, you do burn less fat, but ultimately more total calories - what the kinesiologist pointed out was - the problem is that most people don't eat enough carbs to sustain themselves during these workouts and end up hungry and then overeating and gaining weight.  A person should not really gain 10 pounds from training.    Also they think they burn more calories than they actually do and will overeat to make up what they think they burned.   The different coaches and personal trainers I have worked with all say that most people eat too much after a workout, even when they don't feel hungry - they tend to fuel up too much.     

Most people do limited work in Z4 and 5 but spend alot of time in Zone 2, building endurance and Zone 3 which is an aerobic/anaerobic zone.    When I was tested in 2007, I burned 492 total calories in one hour, of which ONLY 36 were fat calories.   I was not an efficient cyclist.   After following a personalized one month cycling program based on my zones at that time and aimed at improving MY metabolism, I could feel the difference although I didn't get re-tested until today.   For the last 2 years I based my training on those zones.

My zones have totally changed and in Zone 3, I am now burning 609 calories of which 234 are fat calories - a huge change, and my LT have moved from 136 to 144 which makes me very happy.     I could sense that change as well because I was getting no lactic acid build up cycling at extended periods with a 142 HR.

I believe the more knowledge you have the better chance you have for success at anything.  I do a fair bit of physical activity including alot of high intensity come June through August, but I am never hungry, have lots of energy and able to maintain my weight whether I am training 30 minutes a day or 4 hours per day.    When I do want to lose weight I do it during transition or foundation training.     

On another topic, I am glad to hear that everything is good with the bike and loved reading your recent post.    Those rides sounds absolutely wonderful.  

2010-06-08 6:46 AM
in reply to: #2905304

User image

Champion

STEVE -

Glad you're back, and relieved to know that all systems are functioning according to wishes and plans. Whew!

It sound slide Encinal Canyon shares a limb on the same side of the family tree as Silverman, so if you do that roue and other of its brethren between now and then, you'll cruise the bike in November.

As for you and Vineman, I figure you have very little to do to be ready for that bike. After all, it was only about 5-6 weeks ago that you did 112 miles under duress at IMSG, so the fitness is certainly there. All you need to do is tweak it, refine it, build it up, add some speed to it.....and Vineman should be yours.

From when i seriously contemplated doing Vineman iron-distance in '05, I remember the course as being a big loop (double for the iron) that has one kind of taxing climb, but then a lot of rollers -- certainly not at all like SG! I imagine the course hasn't changed since then, and with the half being just one loop, then that means only one climb, and that means you'll find it all very tackleable.

How is your hamstring feeling, anyhow? I remember well the constant refrain throughout March and April about your hammy bothering you, but all you mention about Sunday's brick is that in the three hours after the bike your legs had stiffened -- but no bad stuff about the hamstring! Is it possible that the post-SG recovery plan has worked its wonders on it? Halleloo!

2010-06-08 6:52 AM
in reply to: #2907473

User image

Champion

STEVE again -

And how did the swim go? Shoulder hold up just fine?

As for the weight gain, well, once you start adding in more runs and longer runs, that should slide right back to where you were leading up to SG. But I think the gain you've experienced is indicative of a decent period of recovery, and that will only help you as you get set for Vineman, and beyond. And I think you've said before that you lose weight pretty fast, so by mid-July you'll be down to fightin' form, to be sure!

And Tracey is 100% correct -- all of your rides sound like things of beauty! Just curious -- when you do the PCH, can you do that from your door, or do you have to drive to that one, too?

2010-06-08 6:54 AM
in reply to: #2905383

User image

Champion

STEVE once more -

I think I've read that common post-iron gain is 5-7 pounds, so at six, you're right on target. Bullseye!!

2010-06-08 6:59 AM
in reply to: #2905492

User image

Champion

MANDY -

Ahhhhhh! I'm very happy to hear about the ART appointment! At the very least, he/she should be able to tell you exactly what's wrong with the calf, and at the very most the treatment provided then will help you make it through Pirate comfortably. Cool beans!

What's up with your man Papelbon? I heard he's away from the team for a few days, but it seems shrouded in mystery? I hope it's nothing too serious!

2010-06-08 7:14 AM
in reply to: #2905685

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

Your post was full of fine news!

Really nicely done on the simulated OWS in the pool, and noticing the drop of the legs each time you sight. Yes, the buoys at Escape will be further away, but they're also gonna be big suckers -- more sunstamntial than a towel and a cone! But the important thing is that you're getting used to what your body is doing as you sight, and in time you will refine this to be as economical as possible.

It's great to hear that you have adjust to the "clipless" system so well, and that you're experiencing some of the benefits of being more rigid down there. And the 7- to 9-o'clock pull back sensation means that yet another something is working well for you in your pedaling mechanics, so that is also a big positive.

And the saddle! I love those stories about transformations in people's lives in getting The Perfect Saddle! There are accounts of people who have gone through 3, 4, 5 saddles before finding the perfect one, but you found yours on the second try, yes? As I think about this, it is more of a female problem than a male problem. Or maybe men just don't talk about it. (Typical, eh? ) I'm just thinking of posts I've read over the years from people who had troble getting comfortable, and is it true that they were all authored by women? Hmmm.

ANYHOW, you've got your dream saddle now, and that's all that matters!

(Just a side note --- When I got my new bike in July '08, although it was still a Cervelo I didn't like the new saddle at all, so I had it swtiched out in favor of my old saddle. I had forgotten then until just now.....even though it's not like it wa ancient history! So here I am, on a newish bike, but with a saddle from '01 and cleats from '00. Oh my!

2010-06-08 7:24 AM
in reply to: #2559115

New user

I'm still alive all...Left calf and shin were tight yesterday but all good today. Will be out for a mountain bike ride today.

I'm way behind (as in page 218 currently) getting caught up on everything here...Man we are a yacky bunch!

Here are the race results:
http://www.raceservices.com/10/hawk/060610_tri.txt

To beat SteveB to the chase, here are links to my race results and the photos that are up so far of myself:

http://timeframephoto.exposuremanager.com/g/hawk_island_tri_2010

End of swim:
http://timeframephoto.exposuremanager.com/p/10hit-endswim/10hit-endswim-34_12_11_2
http://timeframephoto.exposuremanager.com/p/10hit-endswim/10hit-endswim-35_12_11_2
(nice sun tan eh??)

Bike:
http://timeframephoto.exposuremanager.com/p/10hit-bike/10hit-bike-45_12_11_4
http://timeframephoto.exposuremanager.com/p/10hit-bike/10hit-bike-46_12_11_4
(what a nice fancy jacket?? Don't care it kept me warm. Glad I had it though. I had ordered one of e-bay that the seller lost. Now I have a nice new PI jacket coming...albeit a little late. Glad I wore it though to keep the body temp up. I even had my leggings just in case I wanted them)

There will be more pics coming...

2010-06-08 7:33 AM
in reply to: #2906577

User image

Champion

KASIA -

Bugs! Good source of protein!

I was going to remind you to get the top of a Clif Bar unwrapped before race begins, but I forgot. And now you come with the story of wrestling with a Luna Bar wrapper while on the fly, and so I'll say it now -- at the very least, get the unwrapping started, if not the top fully upon all the way across. Clif Bars can have very resistant wrappers (are they meant to be "tamper-proof"??), and I have waged several spirited battles with them during races over the years. I honestly suspect that many people have wiped out doing just this sort of thing, so it is good to have all of your edibles as unwrapped as is possible.

What do you carry your food in? Do you have a Bento Box, are do you just use the pockets of whatever bike top you're wearing?

Enjoy the gels. Seriously! (Hopefully?) Remember, for many people they are an acquired taste, so if the first one doesn't work through some combination of taste and texture, try another. In general, i find CarbBoom! and AccelGel as being the two that best combine milder taste with less viscosity (meaning they aren't as thick), so I would cautiously recommend those two for starters. If you are a chocoholic, Accel Gel chocolate is divine, and CarbBoom!'s chocolate cherry is not far behind. The cranberry/grapefruit CarbBoom! is close to a culinary masterpiece. (Well...............)

But wait! I said all this last week, didn't it? Oops! Me and my elusive memory at times!!

If you are going to get a new saddle, try to do that as soon as possible. You don't want to make that a week-of purchase only to find out at mile 17 of LL2L that it isn't working for you. So if you could find one in the next few days and have several rides to make sure it's just right, that's ideal.

As for the bike handling and braking, you are doing the normal thing, which is working it out by degrees. Just keep doing what is working best for you, and is most relaible, and seems to be the safest. In time, you will find that new positions and tactics are doable, but for most people that just takes lots of riding. You'll get there!

2010-06-08 7:38 AM
in reply to: #2906605

User image

Champion

KASIA again -

The Vegas Pumpkinman has been around for a while, I think, and last fall served as the venue for the USAT Half-Iron championship (as opposed to the 70.3 one in Clearwater, FL). I wonder how much of that course overlaps with Silverman, which overlaps with Showdown at Sundown, which SteveA did back in March or April. Those courses out there seems sort of incestuous!

2010-06-08 7:40 AM
in reply to: #2906633

User image

Champion

KASIA once more -

Don't look now, but there's probably a YouTube clip of you "ghost-pedaling" down the road last week!

2010-06-08 7:45 AM
in reply to: #2906774

User image

Champion

STEVE -

Your cooment about "Throw out the scale" reminds me of how the late, great Phil Ochs once defined a liberal -- "Ten degrees to the laft of center in good times, ten degrees to the right of center if it affects them personally".

These days, I'm viewing my own scale very liberally!

2010-06-08 8:15 AM
in reply to: #2906471

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
latestarter - 2010-06-07 5:26 PM

thall0672 - 2010-06-06 3:38 PM Anyone ever heard of "train gain"? I think this is happening to me! I hope it doesn't sound like an excuse for overeating, but since I started training for tris I'm just soooo hungry all the time. I've gained about 8 or 10 pounds since last fall when I started my training. I can attribute a few pounds of that to holiday overeating for sure, but most of it has come on since the beginning of the year. My nutritionist told me this can be common in women. Men respond to training by becoming lean and losing weight, but women respond by getting hungrier, holding on to every last ounce of body fat, and sometimes gaining weight. She says it's evolutionary: men are designed to be lean and strong to be able to chase down prey, and women are designed to keep their body fat so they can bear offspring. Makes total sense, but it's so frustrating! My nutritionist put my on a plan of around 1800 calories a day, which is supposed to provide enough energy to train and also support gradual weight loss (I'd really like to take off 20 pounds or so). But most days I'm just starving. I haven't lost any weight since I first started the plan in April. In fact, I've gained a couple. I'm going to start tracking my protein intake and see if I need to increase it. She recommends 75-100g per day for me and I've kind of just assumed I'm getting enough, but maybe not.

That sucks!    You might be interested in checking out my log today.   I had my RMR tested and a bike LT test.    Your nutritionist says some interesting stuff.  The kinesiologist said that the reason we get hungry is often a combination of training at an intensity too high for our current fitness level and not eating enough.    If we train too hard, we burn more carbs.   Body won't even touch the fat.  

For my current height and weight I will now be eating 2150 per day and losing 1/4 pound per week.   That is assuming that my 2150 calories are "quality" carriers - no crackers, white breads, processed foods, etc.  

I'm going to have to start tracking my food as well - no more winging it. 

Anne:

It's interesting what your kinesiologist says about training and burning carbs. I feel like there's different information all the time from every expert or article. And add to that the fact that everybody is different as far as their intake needs, metabolisms, etc. It gets confusing to know what advice to follow!

2010-06-08 8:16 AM
in reply to: #2906567

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
SAquavia - 2010-06-07 6:09 PM

SteveA: Your rides always sound so scenic and beautiful (except for the one in which you almost got cozy with the side of a car!) I see you guys talk about hill grades a lot. How do you determine the grade of a hill? Thanks! Tracey

I use www.mapmyride.com in order to calculate grades and total elevation.  Cool, free site to use when planning out rides, calculating distances, grades, etc.  You can create a free profile, and then plan and save as many routes as you like.  You can also search for rides others have created in your area, and go out and do those as well.  It's a great resource!

I've gotten pretty good at guessing what kind of grades I'm on by using the site to review stuff I've ridden before.  The other cool thing about it is that you can use the Google Earth view of the route you save and actually see the road itself that you'd be riding on, and get a feel for the quality of the road, the size of the shoulder, etc. 

But, yes, I gotta say, I LOVE the freedom that riding gives me.  I was doing that scouting drive to see a route and it struck me just how much beautiful scenery is out there.

Thanks Steve. I knew about mapmyride.com but didn't know it gave you elevations. That's cool! Thanks.

2010-06-08 8:27 AM
in reply to: #2901583

New user
manfarr1974 - 2010-06-04 3:19 PM
I will finish with a smile, that is all I am sure of. 

Mandy,

I think we'd know pretty darn quick something is wrong if you didn't have a smile!!
2010-06-08 8:31 AM
in reply to: #2907670

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

Just so you know, as long as the weather is decent Friday night I will be staying at Myles Standish. I talked to someone who told me that the Barrett Pond Loop is the nicest and quietest, but going to www.reserveamerica.com, it looks as if most sites are taken for Friday night. The next option will be Fearing Pond Loop, which seems to have lots of availability.

What's the forecast looking like? I guess I'd better check that out!

And remind me to PM you my contact info, which will mostly be in the form of Lynn's cell phone #; hopefully, I'll remember to bring her phone with me! I guess as an absolute emergency contingency plan we could set a meeting point for the where the past feed is, and I will be there in a bright yellow running cap with NEWTON written on it in red letters. That cap, plus my 6'2", makes me kind of hard to miss.

But that's just a tentative-tentative for now. Are you still thinking about some sort of ride and/or swim beforehand? I am happy with ANYthing, and so do whatever works best for you and your family!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276