BT Development Mentor Program Archives » grandhavenbill's group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2009-05-11 6:45 AM
in reply to: #1864965

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
Subject: RE: grandhavenbill's group - FULL
Well, I rested most of the day yesterday, and did a little work around the house. I got up this morning to go swim, and I never made it past the hot tub. That felt great. I guess I'll get back into it tomorrow.
My plan calls for a swim specific week all week, so that should work out pretty well. Then, it's off to the BT made up tri in Detroit. I haven't decided on the sprint or oly yet, but, me being me, I find it highly unlikely that I'll choose the sprint. Not one for moderation!

2009-05-11 10:13 AM
in reply to: #2142536

User image

Champion
marietta
sigepbrad - 2009-05-11 6:45 AM Well, I rested most of the day yesterday, and did a little work around the house. I got up this morning to go swim, and I never made it past the hot tub. That felt great. I guess I'll get back into it tomorrow.
My plan calls for a swim specific week all week, so that should work out pretty well. Then, it's off to the BT made up tri in Detroit. I haven't decided on the sprint or oly yet, but, me being me, I find it highly unlikely that I'll choose the sprint. Not one for moderation!

that was my favorite week of the plan so far.  this is when your swim yds really start to crank up.  have fun!
2009-05-13 6:22 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
finally got a new ride!

(sheneedsaname.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
sheneedsaname.jpg (95KB - 13 downloads)
2009-05-14 7:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
Dude..... That is awesome! Do you happen to have a transcript of the conversation you had with your wife to convince her to let you buy this? I could sure use it!
2009-05-14 1:07 PM
in reply to: #2149986

User image

Champion
marietta
sigepbrad - 2009-05-14 7:03 AM Dude..... That is awesome! Do you happen to have a transcript of the conversation you had with your wife to convince her to let you buy this? I could sure use it!

easiest conversation ever.  i wanted the bike....she wanted this...  a couple of beers and a few minutes later the deal was sealed.

(HELLO.jpg.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
HELLO.jpg.jpg (58KB - 13 downloads)
2009-05-14 5:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
That's where I went wrong. I did something very similar, with a slight difference. Pointing down at my pants I said, "Your going to let me by a bike, or your never getting this again". When she finished laughing and walked away, I resigned to the fact that I would be riding a Trek 1000 for a while.

2009-05-19 8:51 PM
in reply to: #2151778

User image

Extreme Veteran

sigepbrad - 2009-05-14 6:49 PM That's where I went wrong. I did something very similar, with a slight difference. Pointing down at my pants I said, "Your going to let me by a bike, or your never getting this again". When she finished laughing and walked away, I resigned to the fact that I would be riding a Trek 1000 for a while.

Maybe try something like:  "Honey, I got a really great deal on a bike today.  I went ahead and bought it, but could always take it back if you don't think it is a good idea....."

2009-05-20 6:28 AM
in reply to: #2162129

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
grandhavenbill - 2009-05-19 9:51 PM

sigepbrad - 2009-05-14 6:49 PM That's where I went wrong. I did something very similar, with a slight difference. Pointing down at my pants I said, "Your going to let me by a bike, or your never getting this again". When she finished laughing and walked away, I resigned to the fact that I would be riding a Trek 1000 for a while.

Maybe try something like:  "Honey, I got a really great deal on a bike today.  I went ahead and bought it, but could always take it back if you don't think it is a good idea....."

I might try that. By the way, do you have a couch in your basement I could crash on for a while?

On another note, we had a great time at our made up triathlon on the east side. I met a bunch of BT people.  Here is a pic:

Edited to say: Working on getting pictures that are big enough so you can actually see!

Edited by sigepbrad 2009-05-20 6:31 AM

(The_whole_gang.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
The_whole_gang.jpg (62KB - 4 downloads)
2009-05-22 10:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
Well, I'm off to Montana for a family vacation. Were flying, but my father in law drove with my road bike, mtn bike and fly fishing gear. I should be the perfect vacation. My wife and inlaws like to relax on vacation. I'm not what you would call a relaxer. My HIM plan calls for a bike focused week, I will make sure that is an understatement.
If all goes well, I plan on my first century ride. I also want to see some scary speeds in the mountains.

How's the 24 challenge training going Bill? Shoulder hanging in there? I only see 24 hour challenge and North country trail run on your schedule. Not ready for swimming yet? If you feel like giving it a shot, I'm up for some practice and pointers in Lake Michigan. I've been swimming a couple of times on Bostwick Lake. Sooo much better than swimming in that GD pool all the time.

John - I think you have a problem. You need help. Your out of control. Is each day like 36 hours long in Texas. How the eff do you train that much? Joking aside, all I can say is Wow. Nice work and keep it up.

I'll talk to you in a week or so. Hopefully I've got some great pictures and stories to share. Alright, I'm too excited for my vacation to sleep, but I'm about out of things to ramble on about.
Happy Memorial Day, enjoy the long weekend.
2009-05-22 10:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
Holy 5hit!!!!!!!! Dude, I think I threw up a little bit in my mouth when I saw the pictures of your bike. I'm sorry man. You feeling ok?

Bill - Take a look:

Pics
Story (half way down)

Man, I hope your alright.
On the lighter side, I remember bill telling you to mix water with Gatorade. Did you misread that to be one bottle filled with water and one bottle filled with tequila?
2009-05-23 5:35 AM
in reply to: #2169307

User image

Champion
marietta
sigepbrad - 2009-05-22 10:55 PM Holy 5hit!!!!!!!! Dude, I think I threw up a little bit in my mouth when I saw the pictures of your bike. I'm sorry man. You feeling ok?

Bill - Take a look:

Pics
Story (half way down)

Man, I hope your alright.
On the lighter side, I remember bill telling you to mix water with Gatorade. Did you misread that to be one bottle filled with water and one bottle filled with tequila?

Man....I'm so sorry!   I thought I posted that here as well, actually I thought I posted it here first!  Was kinda wondering where you guys were???
I'm fine.  Blood still boils every now and then.  I got a friends rodie that I'm gonna go try and wreck now!  I'm late so I'll fill ya in later today.  That story pretty much sums it up though.

2009-05-23 10:39 AM
in reply to: #2169405

User image

Extreme Veteran

Holy s**t John!!  I am glad you are OK.  How are you feeling now that you've had a couple of days post-crash?  It wasn't until then that I realized something was wrong with my shoulder....Hope your inventory is holding up better than mine did.  As bad as it sux, you are very lucky to walk away from a crash like that, you must be living right my friend! 

Have you talked with your insurance company about the bike?  Don't know about TX, but here in MI you would be able to at least get something out of the deal, depending on your deductible of course.  I would also follow the recommendations on the other thread and contact the police. 

On a lighter note, you are one of the fortunate few who has the opportunity to buy two new bikes in a season!! 

2009-05-23 10:47 AM
in reply to: #2169300

User image

Extreme Veteran

sigepbrad - 2009-05-22 11:38 PM Well, I'm off to Montana for a family vacation. Were flying, but my father in law drove with my road bike, mtn bike and fly fishing gear. I should be the perfect vacation. My wife and inlaws like to relax on vacation. I'm not what you would call a relaxer. My HIM plan calls for a bike focused week, I will make sure that is an understatement.
If all goes well, I plan on my first century ride. I also want to see some scary speeds in the mountains.

How's the 24 challenge training going Bill? Shoulder hanging in there? I only see 24 hour challenge and North country trail run on your schedule. Not ready for swimming yet? If you feel like giving it a shot, I'm up for some practice and pointers in Lake Michigan. I've been swimming a couple of times on Bostwick Lake. Sooo much better than swimming in that GD pool all the time.

John - I think you have a problem. You need help. Your out of control. Is each day like 36 hours long in Texas. How the eff do you train that much? Joking aside, all I can say is Wow. Nice work and keep it up.

I'll talk to you in a week or so. Hopefully I've got some great pictures and stories to share. Alright, I'm too excited for my vacation to sleep, but I'm about out of things to ramble on about.

Awesome, have a GREAT trip Brad!  I LOVE riding away from home.  New challenges, different scenery, and it just always seems easier than riding the same old routes at home.

Bike training is going pretty well.  The China adventure put a dent in my training plans, but I think it'll be OK.  I'll be doing a century ride tomorrow and back-to-back centuries next Sat/Sun.  Trying to get at least 3 mid-week rides in now as well but schedules have been a real challenge lately.

Shoulder was doing great until yesterday.  I did something in the pool that hurt like h**l.  Still pretty ouchy today....Hoping it was just a form break and minor tweek and not something permanent.

Schedule-wise, I need to update my logs.  If my shoulder allows, I'm doing Lake Mac in a couple of weeks.  Also planning on Tri Del Sol and am on the fence re a bunch of August races. 

2009-05-23 10:47 AM
in reply to: #2169300

User image

Extreme Veteran

sigepbrad - 2009-05-22 11:38 PM Well, I'm off to Montana for a family vacation. Were flying, but my father in law drove with my road bike, mtn bike and fly fishing gear. I should be the perfect vacation. My wife and inlaws like to relax on vacation. I'm not what you would call a relaxer. My HIM plan calls for a bike focused week, I will make sure that is an understatement.

Awesome, have a GREAT trip Brad!  I LOVE riding away from home.  New challenges, different scenery, and it just always seems easier than riding the same old routes at home.

Bike training is going pretty well.  The China adventure put a dent in my training plans, but I think it'll be OK.  I'll be doing a century ride tomorrow and back-to-back centuries next Sat/Sun.  Trying to get at least 3 mid-week rides in now as well but schedules have been a real challenge lately.

Shoulder was doing great until yesterday.  I did something in the pool that hurt like h**l.  Still pretty ouchy today....Hoping it was just a form break and minor tweek and not something permanent.

Schedule-wise, I need to update my logs.  If my shoulder allows, I'm doing Lake Mac in a couple of weeks.  Also planning on Tri Del Sol and am on the fence re a bunch of August races. 

2009-05-24 3:26 PM
in reply to: #2169634

User image

Champion
marietta
grandhavenbill - 2009-05-23 10:39 AM

Holy s**t John!!  I am glad you are OK.  How are you feeling now that you've had a couple of days post-crash?  It wasn't until then that I realized something was wrong with my shoulder....Hope your inventory is holding up better than mine did.  As bad as it sux, you are very lucky to walk away from a crash like that, you must be living right my friend! 

Have you talked with your insurance company about the bike?  Don't know about TX, but here in MI you would be able to at least get something out of the deal, depending on your deductible of course.  I would also follow the recommendations on the other thread and contact the police. 

On a lighter note, you are one of the fortunate few who has the opportunity to buy two new bikes in a season!! 

Yeah, I'm good.  Thankfully!  Neck still a little sore and right shoulder, else I'm good to go. Yup, God was looking out for me for sure!   Check out my log yesterday when you get a chance.  The comedy of errors continues.

Talked to em' but our deductible is more than the bike so no go.  Police said no contact, no foul.  I can kinda understand but it still sucks big time.

2009-06-04 11:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI

Hey Brad, welcome back! How was Montana? I was THIS close to taking a job out there a few years back.....LOVE the mountains.

Would love to join you but, unfortunately, I am booked solid on Saturday......I'm going to do my long ride on Sunday morning instead. Put in 230 miles last weekend...

Montana was great. I got to Mountain Bikes a few times, and did some fly fishing. Had a very relaxing (in a busy ADHD way) time. If we could move there, we would do it tomorrow. Getting back into the swing of things training wise. My bike won't be back from Montana 'til tomorrow.

Hope your shoulder is ready for Lake Mac. See you there.

2009-06-08 10:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
Well, I made it. We did the Musketawa and a good chunk of the White Pine for a total of 95.7 miles. We changed the course a bit to stay off a busy road. When we got to the end, we saw we were a bit short of a century, but nobody's ego forced us to do laps around my neighborhood to finish the 100 miles.
There were 6 of us there. between 4 of them, they have 9 IM finishes. I won't lie, they pulled me along at times. 2 of the guys are 6'2" about 220, so drafting behind them is almost effortless.

Next stop, Lake Mac. I'm planning on working on transitions this week. Have you decided if your going to make it yet?
2009-06-08 10:56 AM
in reply to: #2202064

User image

Champion
marietta
sigepbrad - 2009-06-08 10:47 AM Well, I made it. We did the Musketawa and a good chunk of the White Pine for a total of 95.7 miles. We changed the course a bit to stay off a busy road. When we got to the end, we saw we were a bit short of a century, but nobody's ego forced us to do laps around my neighborhood to finish the 100 miles.
There were 6 of us there. between 4 of them, they have 9 IM finishes. I won't lie, they pulled me along at times. 2 of the guys are 6'2" about 220, so drafting behind them is almost effortless.

Next stop, Lake Mac. I'm planning on working on transitions this week. Have you decided if your going to make it yet?

LOL!  I did 65 yesterday... first ride on new bike btw.  I got back to my car and noticed the computer read 64.97.  No way Jose... I hoped back on for another .03.  
2009-06-08 11:40 AM
in reply to: #2202113

User image

Extreme Veteran

AWESOME, good to know I have some OCD teammates out there!  I just can't stand to ride "uneven" distances and it always seems my rides end up in a 0 or 5......  And, yes, I know all of the waypoints near my house required to get the additional distance in 0.1 mile increments......

Assuming water quality is acceptable to swim (this rain will spike the e-coli levels), I'm in for Lake Mac!  Not really interested in a du....This seems to happen every year and, magically, the advisories always seem to lifted on Friday afternoon!  Go figure....

John:  We need to pics of the new ride!  Your HIM is quickly approaching, how's the physical/mental inventory holding up??

2009-06-09 12:44 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
I know I need to take some pics of her.  Two things. I just picked her up friday night and its been crazy.  Second...and tell me what you think of this...I kinda feel like she is the dog that sh*t on the carpet.  You love her but she needs to spend some time out in the garage.... its jsut weird, i can't describe it any better than that.

I'm feeling good about the HIM knowing full well I just might need all 8 hours.  But I'm cool with that.   I'm having too much fun now.  Next season I'll start taking this a bit more seriously and really focus.  Actually it will start w/ my marathon training later this summer that we talked abt earlier.

My bike is nowhere where it needs to be,  700 + miles for the year isn't very good esp. for this HIM course, in and out of canyons and all!  I'm dialing in my nutrtion.  A little late here too but I'll be good.  I have some S caps on the way.  Do you think an aero bottle with think Cytomax, a cytomax bottle, and a water bottle is overkill?  I'm thinking of drinking the cyto bottle first then ditching it at the first hand up for the course drink (GE).  Man, this nutrtion thing is a monster.

Speaking of,  Brad how is your nutrition plan coming along?
2009-06-10 6:55 AM
in reply to: #2205374

User image

Extreme Veteran

fattyfatfat - 2009-06-09 1:44 PM I know I need to take some pics of her.  Two things. I just picked her up friday night and its been crazy.  Second...and tell me what you think of this...I kinda feel like she is the dog that sh*t on the carpet.  You love her but she needs to spend some time out in the garage.... its jsut weird, i can't describe it any better than that.

I'm feeling good about the HIM knowing full well I just might need all 8 hours.  But I'm cool with that.   I'm having too much fun now.  Next season I'll start taking this a bit more seriously and really focus.  Actually it will start w/ my marathon training later this summer that we talked abt earlier.

My bike is nowhere where it needs to be,  700 + miles for the year isn't very good esp. for this HIM course, in and out of canyons and all!  I'm dialing in my nutrtion.  A little late here too but I'll be good.  I have some S caps on the way.  Do you think an aero bottle with think Cytomax, a cytomax bottle, and a water bottle is overkill?  I'm thinking of drinking the cyto bottle first then ditching it at the first hand up for the course drink (GE).  Man, this nutrtion thing is a monster.

I can relate on the bike.  After my crash last year, we weren't on good speaking terms for a few days.  I punished her by sticking her in a van and shipping her off to IMCDA.....Upon our reunion, things got better and, by that Sunday morning, we were again a pair. 

As for the nutrition plan:  remember, NOTHING NEW ON RACE DAY!  Go with what has worked for you in training.  Personally, I find Cytomax, Perp, etc. revolting when it gets warm......I do really well with GE and will try to live off the course as much as possible so I don't have to head out like a stinkin' pack mule on the bike.  That said, I cannot do PowerBar products which, sadly, is what they serve at the M-DOT races.  Gu and Hammer stuff are just fine.

2009-06-10 11:08 AM
in reply to: #2206879

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI

I'm not having any problems. on my century, I took 4 different bars, 2 hammer gels, and 2 gu's. I haven't experienced any food that has given me an upset stomach. I think I'm going to stick with the following: Set my alarm to beep every 15 minutes.
:15 - drink
:30 - drink, eat half a bar (power bar, snickers marathon, cliff bar...)
:15 - drink
:60 - drink, eat a gel

I did have some cramping on the century. The guys I was with gave me electrolyte pills. They kept feeding them to me, and the cramping seemed to go away. I think I will do that as well. Also, I plan on having the drinking alternate between water and sports drink.

That said, Bill - is there any reason I have to have water? Why can't I just use sports drink?

2009-06-10 5:42 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
Send me your t-shirt sizes.  I'll see if my tri club has them in stock.  If so I'll send one your way.  Oh..they are 100% cotton and shrink a bit so maybe size up.
2009-06-10 8:17 PM
in reply to: #2207670

User image

Extreme Veteran

That said, Bill - is there any reason I have to have water? Why can't I just use sports drink?

All of the "published data" says you should not chase gels with sports drink, too much concentrated sugar that could cause your stomach to shut down.  Personally, I have no problems with this, but I do always carry water as the sports drink just starts to taste BAD after awhile.....If it works for you, go for it.  Again:  NOTHING NEW ON RACE DAY!

2009-06-10 8:18 PM
in reply to: #2208689

User image

Extreme Veteran

fattyfatfat - 2009-06-10 6:42 PM Send me your t-shirt sizes.  I'll see if my tri club has them in stock.  If so I'll send one your way.  Oh..they are 100% cotton and shrink a bit so maybe size up.

XL for me.  Don't expect you to pay for these out of pocket though! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » grandhavenbill's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 22