BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2009-05-12 10:36 AM
in reply to: #2068561

User image

Subject: RE: Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training)
Wow!!! That's quite a schedule!!!  I'm thinking that maybe if Keuka goes well, that I may try to enter the Cayuga Lake tri beginning of August - sprint, of course.  But I have to see how the recovery is and all...right now I've been sort of owie, so I just need to see...

2009-05-12 10:51 AM
in reply to: #2145767

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-05-12 11:36 AM Wow!!! That's quite a schedule!!!  I'm thinking that maybe if Keuka goes well, that I may try to enter the Cayuga Lake tri beginning of August - sprint, of course.  But I have to see how the recovery is and all...right now I've been sort of owie, so I just need to see...

Hehe, yeah, once you're used to racing and training regularly, it's easier to race more often - plus, not all of these events are gonna be "A races" - when you plan a season of racing, they can't all be - you generally have A, B and C races - A races are the ones you focus your training on, B races are kinda focused, but really more practice/fun than not, and then C races are usually the season-warm-up/season-ender/do for fun kind of races. And when you only do sprints, the recovery time is a little shorter, so you can do a few more in a season than say, if you only did Half-Irons.

The sprint I might do in June will just be a training race - no real expectations. The Oly that I'm gonna do will be my first race of that distance, so the only goal is to finish! Same with the marathon - my only "real" goal for the marathon, other than to finish, is to finish in under 5 hours.

2009-05-12 11:06 AM

User image

Cool!!  I know what you mean...Like my run for the nuns race, kind of just a fun, go out and do it race...and this weekend the boys, my husband and I are just doing the 1 mile family run at the local Komen race...

2009-05-12 12:09 PM
in reply to: #2145860

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-05-12 12:06 PM Cool!!  I know what you mean...Like my run for the nuns race, kind of just a fun, go out and do it race...and this weekend the boys, my husband and I are just doing the 1 mile family run at the local Komen race...

Yup - racing periodically keeps you fresh and motivated to train more. Otherwise, it's easy to burn out if you just train and train and almost never race.

2009-05-12 1:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
so today i am back amongst the living peoples of the world. an am swim-1250 yds, circuit training, and the elliptical. sweated out all of those toxins. i feel almost normal.
2009-05-12 1:46 PM
in reply to: #2146357

wplummer - 2009-05-12 2:46 PM so today i am back amongst the living peoples of the world. an am swim-1250 yds, circuit training, and the elliptical. sweated out all of those toxins. i feel almost normal.

Yay!

2009-05-12 3:15 PM
in reply to: #2145755

User image

Veteran
Near Lake Tahoe, NV
wurkit_gurl - 2009-05-12 8:32 AM

one of my real-life mentees is doing it as her first race and she wants me to come do it with her.

So does that make us fake mentees ?
2009-05-12 3:32 PM
in reply to: #2146649

JJackson07 - 2009-05-12 4:15 PM
wurkit_gurl - 2009-05-12 8:32 AM one of my real-life mentees is doing it as her first race and she wants me to come do it with her.
So does that make us fake mentees ?

No, you're my online mentees I have two girl friends that I am helping train for their first - I actually get in the pool with them and correct their stroke, run with them, give them biking tips, etc. Girl #1, I actually trained for her first 10K back in December, ran with her 3x a week and now she trains on her own, though I still run with her occasionally, for recovery. She has been using the stationary bike, b ut she has a bike she is going to get from her parents this weekend, so I can finally get her outside. She's not a very good swimmer, but is persistent and learns fast, and she's got until July to manage 300 meters - it's a lap pool, so worst case scenario, she could stand if she got tired. Girl #2 has done a bunch of 5Ks and 10Ks and even a 10-miler. She also bikes regularly. Her swim is very weak...so we'll see how much she improves. She's doing an OWS triathlon, so I'm a tad worried about her. She can breaststroke, at least.

2009-05-12 3:48 PM

User image

So, when do you know you are ready for the swim??  Mine is 750m OWS  and I can swim the distance, but in a pool, I am stopping at the end of every length to turn, then little recovery every 100...  Now I am going between breaststroke and freestyle pretty well but freestyle gets really sloppy when I get tired.  Like today I was pushing it since I had such little time... 
2009-05-12 3:52 PM
in reply to: #2146743

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-05-12 4:48 PM So, when do you know you are ready for the swim??  Mine is 750m OWS  and I can swim the distance, but in a pool, I am stopping at the end of every length to turn, then little recovery every 100...  Now I am going between breaststroke and freestyle pretty well but freestyle gets really sloppy when I get tired.  Like today I was pushing it since I had such little time... 

As long as when you hit the wall to turn, you're not hanging out, that's fine - a quick open turn is okay, since in OWS, you don't have a wall to push off of. Resting every 100 - eh, it depends. Right now, that might be good for you, esp since you can't do freestyle the whole time. Have you ever tried doing longer sets, even 200 or 300? If you can, start doing those and see what happens. Keep doing those. At some point before your race, you will want to swim the full distance non-stop a few times, so you know what it's like. Are you following any set workouts when you get in the pool? Or do you just do 100s over and over?

2009-05-12 4:00 PM

User image

Actually, I just thought about it, and I usually do do 200 then rest a little, and I am trying to make the rest shorter.  But I do def go 200 with just trying to do a quick turn...

2009-05-12 4:02 PM

User image

I just started doing some workouts I found on a beginner workout here on BT...This Sat I am going to the lake to swim with my wetsuit on, and my husband is going along in his kayak.  So I will get to do a real stright through swim!!!
2009-05-12 4:03 PM
in reply to: #2146780

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-05-12 5:00 PM Actually, I just thought about it, and I usually do do 200 then rest a little, and I am trying to make the rest shorter.  But I do def go 200 with just trying to do a quick turn...

Yeah, it's fine to do short sets and rest in between. Just do different sized sets, with different goals (drills, stroke counting, etc). Like 2 x 300 with 1 minute rest in between. I also used to do pyramid sets, ie 100, 200, 300, 400, 300, 200, 100 - you don't have to do quite that much, but you get the idea - you build and then come back down. So you could do 50, 100, 200, 100, 50. And have a set rest interval in between - like 30" or something. Pyramid sets are a good way to stretch the distance, so you're ALMOST doing the full yardage but with minimal rest in between chunks of it.

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2009-05-12 4:04 PM
2009-05-13 6:43 AM

User image

Neat! I'll try that.  I've also decided I need to start out with freestyle so I can practice more on doing it right when I'm not too tired, then I can throw in the breaststroke later...and go back to freestyle.  I just don't want to do too much of it sloppy since I'm just getting the hang of it...
2009-05-13 7:49 AM
in reply to: #2147565

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-05-13 7:43 AM Neat! I'll try that.  I've also decided I need to start out with freestyle so I can practice more on doing it right when I'm not too tired, then I can throw in the breaststroke later...and go back to freestyle.  I just don't want to do too much of it sloppy since I'm just getting the hang of it...

Perhaps it might be good to focus parts of your workout on drills - that will allow you to streamline your form. It's a bit hard to critique it yourself, but maybe the lifeguard at the pool can give you pointers. A good thing to invest in is a pull buoy - mine was about $10. It will allow you to work on your stroke without worrying about kicking. You shouldn't use the pull buoy for the entire workout, but for sections, it's all right. It's a bit of a "cheat" as it puts you in the correct position, with your hips lifted, which is why it's not good to rely on it as a crutch. But then you can get used to the feel of where you SHOULD be in the water. Then you can work on nice, long, reaching strokes. And if you have too much rotation in your hips, the pull buoy can make it a bit more obvious, as you may feel like you're going to tip over

2009-05-13 9:05 AM

User image

Regular
Hello all, I tried to spend some time this am reading all the threads.  Sounds like people are healthier, which is good.  I am sorry I have been MIA, but work is stealing all my time   I hope that will change soon.

I am canceling one gym membership today and joining another so that I can keep up the master's swimming so my break and lunch is all booked up again.  I dont usually get online at night, but will try to do so tonight so I can catch up some more on what you all are doing.

Have a great day everyone and keep up the training!

2009-05-13 9:21 AM
in reply to: #2147906

amkaz - 2009-05-13 10:05 AM Hello all, I tried to spend some time this am reading all the threads.  Sounds like people are healthier, which is good.  I am sorry I have been MIA, but work is stealing all my time   I hope that will change soon.

I am canceling one gym membership today and joining another so that I can keep up the master's swimming so my break and lunch is all booked up again.  I dont usually get online at night, but will try to do so tonight so I can catch up some more on what you all are doing.

Have a great day everyone and keep up the training!

Glad to hear that Masters is working out well! No worries about being busy - I think a lot of folks said that May was gonna be bad for them. The 20-square challenge still stands, though Even if it's a short workout to get the square!

2009-05-14 6:55 AM

User image

Hey all!  I'm planning on swimming today at lunch.  And I plan on getting there ON TIME so I can get a great workout in!!!  Chrissy, I plan on doing your pyramid...so we'll see how it goes, I was thinking 100, 200, 300, 200, 100... I'm going to start freestyle and work on keeping it smooth...

Tomorrow I'm taking the boys swimming, other than that I think I'm taking a rest day...Sat we're going to the lake & I'm going to swim bike & walk...hoping the weather holds out.  Then Sunday the family run for the Komen race.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, I've had really bad stomach pains this week, hoping they don't come back today!!
2009-05-14 8:06 AM
in reply to: #2149977

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-05-14 7:55 AM Hey all!  I'm planning on swimming today at lunch.  And I plan on getting there ON TIME so I can get a great workout in!!!  Chrissy, I plan on doing your pyramid...so we'll see how it goes, I was thinking 100, 200, 300, 200, 100... I'm going to start freestyle and work on keeping it smooth...

Tomorrow I'm taking the boys swimming, other than that I think I'm taking a rest day...Sat we're going to the lake & I'm going to swim bike & walk...hoping the weather holds out.  Then Sunday the family run for the Komen race.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, I've had really bad stomach pains this week, hoping they don't come back today!!

Sounds good - let me know how it goes!

Morning, all. No workouts for me today, cuz I have a friend's birthday dinner tonight. Then helping one of my friends retrieve her bike from her mom's house, since I have a bike rack.

2009-05-14 10:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Near Lake Tahoe, NV
Got a good swim and run in yesterday and feel pretty good today. Just realized that Memorial Day is next weekend. Anybody have any exciting plans?
2009-05-14 10:08 AM

User image

Great job James!!  I can't believe how quickly the month of May is going by!!  I will be at the lake with my family, including my parents and possibly my sister and her family.  I will be doing more training and hopefully a bit more swimming while there!!  My race will be at the same lake two weeks after!!

2009-05-14 10:28 AM
in reply to: #2150469

JJackson07 - 2009-05-14 11:04 AM Got a good swim and run in yesterday and feel pretty good today. Just realized that Memorial Day is next weekend. Anybody have any exciting plans?

Nice workouts!

No plans for Memorial Day weekend, really. I have to go to a wedding that Sunday. Wasn't gonna be bad but now I've gotten some not so fun news in the wedding-related area (former friend used my friendship to steal a guy from me, continually lied about it, and now they're engaged), and so now I want to have nothing to do with weddings, even though it's a friend from work and the other guys from work will be there, so it should be fun otherwise.

2009-05-14 10:30 AM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
ugh
birthday hangover here
got cricket practise later but its abosultely down so may have to pass
and my bed is falling to bits. grrrr
lol

Hows everyone?
2009-05-14 10:35 AM
in reply to: #2150546

SteveyD - 2009-05-14 11:30 AM ugh
birthday hangover here
got cricket practise later but its abosultely down so may have to pass
and my bed is falling to bits. grrrr
lol

Hows everyone?

You need to get a new bed!! Hope you are able to get some good workouts in this weekend - unless the birthday celebrating spills over

2009-05-14 10:51 AM

User image

Expert
Cambridge

its the cheapness of the bed, i went out and bought a bit of timber to hold it together. Basically, the bed has a support down each side, and then a bar along the middle, however the are meant to be some supports to hold the width, which arn't. This means the slats sometimes fall through which is not a pleasant way to wake up weekend is revision time with workout breaks

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training) Rss Feed  

of 29