BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FancyPants Group, Part 2- The Ladies Are FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2010-04-06 9:46 AM
in reply to: #2770141

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Subject: RE: FancyPants Group, Part 2- The Ladies Are FULL!
It was good. Keep in mind that Rice and Peas is different in each island. I know in Jamaica, “Peas and Rice” taste very different from “Rice and Peas” in the Bahamas. My Bahamian relatives can throw down some good food but so can my Jamaican ones.

2010-04-06 9:48 AM
in reply to: #2600896

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
I entered an indoor triathlon at work in two weeks on April 21st. The contest consists of:
ROW - 2500 meter on row machine
BIKE - 2 mile seated bike
RUN – 1.5 mile run or 1 mile walk on treadmill

This morning I did a 30 minute workout of 5 min warm-up (treadmill), 7 minutes rowing, 13 minutes stationary bike followed by 5 minutes stretching. I am doing this just for the challenge and having a short term goal.

Lovey
2010-04-06 1:04 PM
in reply to: #2770998

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
Lovey - 2010-04-06 10:46 AM It was good. Keep in mind that Rice and Peas is different in each island. I know in Jamaica, “Peas and Rice” taste very different from “Rice and Peas” in the Bahamas. My Bahamian relatives can throw down some good food but so can my Jamaican ones.

I did not know that.  I had the Bahamian "Rice and Peas" which was rice with beans.  What is it in Jamaica?  I'm not a big rice fan, but will eat it and liked it with the beans.  But I was very glad to finally get something green after my week in the Bahamas.  (Loved the conch fritters too, haven't found any those anywhere that tasted as good)

Edited by scubagrrl 2010-04-06 1:04 PM
2010-04-06 2:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
I think all Rice and Peas are actually Rice and Beans. The ones I had were with coconut milk and some spicy pepper.

Hot here- running later once I get the oldest dropped off at soccer.

Lovey- the indoor tri sounds fun!
2010-04-06 7:57 PM
in reply to: #2771005

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-04-06 10:06 PM

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Sharyn,
Check with the local gyms to see if they have it. The indoor triathlons are usually sponsored by a gym, YMCA or local university.

Sorry the East Pasco YMCA’s just had their spring Triathlon

Lovey

2010-04-07 6:52 AM

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Happy Wednesday everyone!

We're archived- meaning we are now located in the Mentor Program Archives. Hope everyone finds us okay!

Anyway, spring mentor program is up and running over in the mentor forum so now is your chance- if you want to move groups go browse!!!! Or even if you are just thinking of it. They fill up super fast.

I'm leaving for vacation this afternoon and will return Friday afternoon. Off to fix breakfast and hop on the trainer for a bit-
Anne
2010-04-07 9:19 AM

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
before I leave....

It's the first full week of April! How is everyone doing on the bike challenge? Don't save it all up- you will thank yourself later if you do a few small rides now. The mileage adds up fast- I am at 25 miles so far. How about everyone else?
2010-04-07 10:01 AM

2010-04-07 10:58 AM
in reply to: #2773737

Regular
Fair Hill, MD
Hello everyone!  I'm so psyched that I found us in archives...

Good news:  My right ankle is just an impinged nerve... no tendon issues so I can get back to running.  It really messed up my March totals though...

Looking forward to the biking challenge for the month. 

I have a question about logging my swimming.... From January on, I was just concerned about gaining distance, and the Zero-to-a-Mile program really helped... now that I have done that I'm focusing on technique, like Anne suggested... by I feel like I'm not getting the distance in like I used to or at least I'm having a hard time keeping track of it.   I am 90% through a book on Total Immersion swimming and am learning to apply the techniques.  It's coming slow but sure, but after accomplished swimming a mile at a time, I feel like I'm going backwards.  I think it'll pay off in the end... anyone have experienced this?

I need to talk to someone about eating challenges.  I will do really well for a while managing my calories and quality of food intake, and then, on a whim, I'll eat a whole bag of caramal creams in one sitting.... what is wrong with me?  I work so hard to try to get my body moving in the right direction, then sabatoge my own efforts!    AAARGH  someone tell me how stupid this is!

2010-04-07 11:51 AM

2010-04-07 11:53 AM
in reply to: #2767144

2010-04-07 2:27 PM

2010-04-08 4:49 PM

2010-04-10 6:13 PM

Veteran
Baltimore Area
I haven't biked this week yet.

My group was doing our long run of 12 miles this morning. I have done 2 half marathons but I took walk breaks and trained on my own or ran with a friend sometimes. This time, I have a group and a coach. No one gets left behind so faster runners go ahead then turn around and loop to the back of the group and then they inch forward again and periodically repeat. this makes us all stick together and its great. Today, with all my looping, I end up doing 13.5 miles. I felt good afterwards with little to no soreness YET. It wasn't a fast pace, not that my race pace is fast either. I average about 14 min/mile in training but my last race was 12 min/mile. I hope I can maintain a 13 min/mile pace at my half marathon in 3 weeks.

I plan to do an easy 11 mile ride in the morning depending on how my legs feel.

Lovey
2010-04-11 1:26 PM

Expert
Hi All,

I caught a nasty virus and self diagnosed myself with bronchitis. My husband had it too and coughed up blood. So....no workouts for me for over a week. Yesterday I ran again and it was slow and tough. Ran again today but it's still very slow. Hope the old lungs are clear and working fine in a few weeks.

Lovey, you are amazing! I will be walking a lot of my half marathon I think and hopefully the next one will go better. I won't give up the conditioning this time but the way I feel now, not sure if a full marathon in a year will work. Maybe a better goal will be to actually run the whole half next year.

No bike for me either. Just running is enough for me right now. I finally got a wee sunburn on my face

2010-04-11 1:43 PM
in reply to: #2782550

2010-04-11 1:45 PM

2010-04-11 5:18 PM

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
BEST RUN OF MY LIFE TODAY.....I'm still high as a kite from the endorphins.

Gorgeous weather, 7 miles, under 12min/mile pace, NO WALKING, and I was just in the right mind set, you know? AWESOME.

My leg of the flying pig marathon is in a few weeks and I can not wait! The Dooby Du Duathlon is just down the street from my house next weekend (Sunday) and I thought about doing it, but my second grader gets her bible at church that day. Can't miss.

Closest I got to a bike today was taking my oldest for a few tours around the neighborhood. 7mph, we got passed by a runner!!!! But she had fun.

Mike was gone all weekend at an alumni weekend and he is dragging , I had no issues leaving him with the kids during my long run, I knew it was torture for him.....HA HA HA HA HA.

Everyone have a great week! I am riding tomorrow on the trainer @naptime, goal is 10 miles!
2010-04-11 9:03 PM

Veteran
Baltimore Area
I wasn't sore today but I was tired. My bike tres were flat and I was too lazy to fill them up.
I got to church late as usual but a little earlier than normal.

I took my boys and one of their friends to see the Harlem Globetrotters this afternoon. It was a blast.

Its 10pm and I am already tired and ready for bed.

Lovey
2010-04-11 9:21 PM

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Anne-
Is it ok if we dont join the spring mentor program?
Can you still mentor us thru the spring and do monthly challenges?

Lovey

2010-04-12 6:51 AM

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
This mentor group will continue here- in the archives- until December 2010. I probably will not do monthly challenges past this month (April) simply because most of us will be focusing on races in June, July, and August. Then I'll push for everyone to take time off (2-4 weeks after your last race) before everyone starts winter maintenance programs.

You can join a Spring Mentor Program, going on now over in the main mentor forum, if you want something more challenging, or want something different than what this group can give you. Otherwise, stick around here. And, if you do hop to another group, still come back and check in with us!

Lovey- I'm here for a full year, it's just how I mentor. I pick up a group in December/January and stick with them- it's more fun to follow a year's worth of progress. Then I drag whomever is left into next year's mentor group.

JO- I'm so mad that I can't do the Dooby Du this weekend. I ran through Secor Metropark (right down the road from me) yesterday and they were marking for it. Grrrrrrrrrrr. Maybe next year. I thought of you- wasn't it originally on your list of races? Gals, this race is a cool format- you run 2 miles, bike 6.5, run 2miles, bike 6.5, run 2 miles. Running is on trails, riding is on rural roads.
2010-04-12 8:51 AM

2010-04-12 2:40 PM

Veteran
Central Ohio
Great job on your run Anne.  You're going to rock at the Flying Pig. 
2010-04-13 12:35 PM

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
I'm tossing this out-

Lovey I know did a great job of this last time.

If you want to be part of this month's challenge- doing a half century, full century, or (crazy) double century for bike miles, try and update us each week on your progress. I'm not going to post everyone's bike miles as we go through for two reasons- 1, not everyone is participating, and I will not be able to keep that straight, and 2, some people have planned races already in their training logs with posted planned miles and that throws off my easy-peasy mileage updates (where I just type how many miles you have done for the month).

So far I'm at 37.58 miles and OH YES I am counting every .01 miles. I did not count the tiny recreational ride I did with my daughter on Sunday (and I'm sort of regretting that).

It's hard for me with the bike and swim right now because my mind is totally run focused; I'll switch out of that after my marathon relay on May 2nd and be more tri-focused.

Hope everyone else is doing well!!!! I've got a teething baby and crazy busy schedules here, I'm exhausted and overwhelmed and tired and just thankful I get enough me time each day for a shower- if I get in a workout, that's bonus.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FancyPants Group, Part 2- The Ladies Are FULL! Rss Feed  

of 29