BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's training group - FULL!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2010-05-26 9:18 AM
in reply to: #2773064

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Subject: RE: jsnowash's training group - FULL!!
WEEK three / Day Two workout:
400 yards...rest for 12 breaths
200 yards...rest for 10 breaths
4 x 100 yards...rest for 8 breathsbetween 100s
4 x 50 yards...rest for 4 breaths between 50s
total: 1200 yards

That was what I suppose to do but I was resting my shoulder after ome pain on Thursday. Today I was taking it easy.

Today's workout:
500 yards...alternating between freestyle and breaststroke every 100 yards for the first 300 and then alternated every 50 yards for the remaining 200 yards.

No shoulder pain. It felt slightly stiff at the beginning but loosen up quickly. I will ease back in and hopefully can do 1200 yards pain free by the end of the week.

Lovey

2010-05-26 11:58 PM
in reply to: #2882423

User image

Veteran
jsnowash - 2010-05-27 2:31 AM Love the new avatar, Fernando! Kinda quiet around here lately! How's everybody been doing? I started P90X along with my tri training yesterday. I didn't feel like the workout was super hard - but must admit I'm a little sore this morning! I think my husband is going to do a tri with me at the end of the summer! Yay! I think that will be fun! I helped him train to run his first 5K in March (one I help organize - a colon cancer fund-raiser - I lost both my mom & brother to colon cancer....). He hasn't run much since then, but we ran together yesterday morning, and it sounds like he's ready to get back into it again. I'm pretty excited that he wants to do this!

Just finishing up race sched for this year. See log. I maybe in over my head but I'll try. Vibrams still have not arrived. Also, working on the training sched. Modified beginner HIM 20 week. Started tired in the prep phase and moved on to week 18 (going backwards). I will stick with this program throughout the year due to the many races. Goal: my competitive level should grow. Comaraderie should grow. I placed some events in there that are not so competitive but more on the fun side. They are mud runs. Looking forward to it. I think I even talked the others into joining me.
Check this out: 

Tough Mudder

2010-05-27 6:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Sorry I haven't posted much. Totally swamped this week.
2010-05-28 10:14 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Anybody have anything fun planned for Memorial Day weekend? My daughter had her opening performances of the Wizard of Oz with a local youth theater group this weekend (she's a munchkin...). Nothing much planned other than that. The outdoor pool opens this weekend, too, but I bet the water's going to be COLD!!

Anybody racing this weekend???
2010-05-28 1:33 PM

Veteran
I love Memorial Day weekend!  SO much promise for the summer.  =)

I am racing tomorrow.  It's a mini-sprint (200M/3.7M/2.0M) down the shore, and technically will be my first tri.  My first sprint will be in July, and this is part of my training for that.  Starting to get a little nervous, but excited at the same time!
2010-05-28 1:54 PM

User image

Veteran
No scheduled race for me this weekend, but next weekend I am scheduled for a 10 with my daughter and there is a wine tasting afterwards from Wente Vineyards..should be good.

However, I have a question about RPE. I am using the Borg CR10 RPE scale. I am unclear on the levels as to difficulty. Is it your own percieved difficulty or based on something more scientific? I am trying to get a handle on this so I can be more accurate in training. As I read the scales, the Borg RPE scale goes from 6-20 and is more based on some science data like VO2 along with your percieved difficulty. BUt the RPE CR10 scale (from 1-10) is just your own percieved difficulty based on a guesstimate. Is that right?

Go Marla on your first TRI! Have a great run.
Doing a hard train today and later at 5pm. I am getting a massage from Laurel. She's awsome. She works in a little PT stretching and doesn't put anything on your body that you can't eat. I can hardly drive home after I leave there. Never mind drive, I can hardly negotiate my on footwork I'm so relaxed.

Edited by StrayDog 2010-05-28 1:55 PM

2010-05-28 2:13 PM
in reply to: #2889068

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
mmgoldenb - 2010-05-28 2:33 PM

I love Memorial Day weekend!  SO much promise for the summer.  =)

I am racing tomorrow.  It's a mini-sprint (200M/3.7M/2.0M) down the shore, and technically will be my first tri.  My first sprint will be in July, and this is part of my training for that.  Starting to get a little nervous, but excited at the same time!

GOOD LUCK, MARLA!!!
2010-05-28 2:18 PM
in reply to: #2889108

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
StrayDog - 2010-05-28 2:54 PM

No scheduled race for me this weekend, but next weekend I am scheduled for a 10 with my daughter and there is a wine tasting afterwards from Wente Vineyards..should be good.

However, I have a question about RPE. I am using the Borg CR10 RPE scale. I am unclear on the levels as to difficulty. Is it your own percieved difficulty or based on something more scientific? I am trying to get a handle on this so I can be more accurate in training. As I read the scales, the Borg RPE scale goes from 6-20 and is more based on some science data like VO2 along with your percieved difficulty. BUt the RPE CR10 scale (from 1-10) is just your own percieved difficulty based on a guesstimate. Is that right?

Go Marla on your first TRI! Have a great run.
Doing a hard train today and later at 5pm. I am getting a massage from Laurel. She's awsome. She works in a little PT stretching and doesn't put anything on your body that you can't eat. I can hardly drive home after I leave there. Never mind drive, I can hardly negotiate my on footwork I'm so relaxed.

Hey Jeff,

See if these links help you out:

http://www.3-fitness.com/tarticles/rpe.htm

http://www.3-fitness.com/tarticles/zones.htm

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=... (scroll down to almost the bottom)

2010-05-28 8:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
I have swam this week but not much else. I haven't ran since my 10 miler on Saturday because of games, concerts, work and life. When I found the time, I was too tired and unmotivated to get on my dreadmill. I really need a way to get motivated to get on that thing and learn to appreciate it.

This weekend I am spending time with family. We will be lounging in the pool, riding our bikes at the park and me sneaking away at 6am for an over due run. But for the most part I just want to focus on some much needed family time. Doing all about nothing.

Lovey
2010-05-29 12:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Jenny that was totally helpful. Especially the last link on BT, that put the zones into perspective with the RPE effort.

Next, the speed stick stuff. Who uses the deoderant looking stuff to get their wetsuits off, for chaffing, etc....I think it's called glide or somthing. Is it worth it? Anyone? What brands have people tried?

Edited by StrayDog 2010-05-29 12:13 AM
2010-05-29 4:43 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Lovey, you know, it's all about balance. Sometimes you can only do what you can do... You have a pretty solid running base now, and a few missed runs probably won't hurt you much. You're doing a great job with your swim program - keep it up! And enjoy that family time this weekend! MUCH more important than getting a workout in!!

Jeff - the stuff you're talking about is called Body Glide. It works fine, but is a little pricey. Cheaper alternatives that work just as well in my experience include spray cooking oil (i.e., "Pam"), just spray it on areas where the wetsuit might get stuck - usually wrists, calves, ankles; or plain old baby oil. Just don't use any petroleum based products (like vaseline), which can damage the neoprene.

2010-05-29 12:57 PM
in reply to: #2889871

User image

Veteran
jsnowash - 2010-05-30 2:43 AM Lovey, you know, it's all about balance. Sometimes you can only do what you can do... You have a pretty solid running base now, and a few missed runs probably won't hurt you much. You're doing a great job with your swim program - keep it up! And enjoy that family time this weekend! MUCH more important than getting a workout in!! Jeff - the stuff you're talking about is called Body Glide. It works fine, but is a little pricey. Cheaper alternatives that work just as well in my experience include spray cooking oil (i.e., "Pam"), just spray it on areas where the wetsuit might get stuck - usually wrists, calves, ankles; or plain old baby oil. Just don't use any petroleum based products (like vaseline), which can damage the neoprene.

Great tip on the baby oil. I didn't know that. Sounds perfect. Thanks Jenny.
2010-05-30 9:23 PM
in reply to: #2889871

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
jsnowash - 2010-05-29 5:43 AM Lovey, you know, it's all about balance. Sometimes you can only do what you can do... You have a pretty solid running base now, and a few missed runs probably won't hurt you much. You're doing a great job with your swim program - keep it up! And enjoy that family time this weekend! MUCH more important than getting a workout in!! Jeff - the stuff you're talking about is called Body Glide. It works fine, but is a little pricey. Cheaper alternatives that work just as well in my experience include spray cooking oil (i.e., "Pam"), just spray it on areas where the wetsuit might get stuck - usually wrists, calves, ankles; or plain old baby oil. Just don't use any petroleum based products (like vaseline), which can damage the neoprene.

The couple in charge of "newbie" orientation @ Mt Gretna Tri was asked exactly that. They said "pam" and neoprene should not be mixed (didn't elaborate on the reason).
I used the glide. It worked great. In fact I use glide for it's intended purpose...again, it works great. 
2010-05-30 9:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Came back today from out of town today. Felt guilty since I had not trained at all. Went out for a run trying to reach tempo pace. It was very hot outside, but did OK. I feel better now.
Good luck in your race Marla.
This week I want to catch up with training and burn a few calories. We'll see how it goes.
I hope everyone has a happy and safe Memorial Day tomorrow. 
Fernando.
P.S.: Go Roy Halladay and the Phillies for pitching a perfect game!!! 
2010-05-30 11:18 PM
in reply to: #2891514

User image

Veteran
guticur - 2010-05-31 7:23 PM
jsnowash - 2010-05-29 5:43 AM Lovey, you know, it's all about balance. Sometimes you can only do what you can do... You have a pretty solid running base now, and a few missed runs probably won't hurt you much. You're doing a great job with your swim program - keep it up! And enjoy that family time this weekend! MUCH more important than getting a workout in!! Jeff - the stuff you're talking about is called Body Glide. It works fine, but is a little pricey. Cheaper alternatives that work just as well in my experience include spray cooking oil (i.e., "Pam"), just spray it on areas where the wetsuit might get stuck - usually wrists, calves, ankles; or plain old baby oil. Just don't use any petroleum based products (like vaseline), which can damage the neoprene.

The couple in charge of "newbie" orientation @ Mt Gretna Tri was asked exactly that. They said "pam" and neoprene should not be mixed (didn't elaborate on the reason).
I used the glide. It worked great. In fact I use glide for it's intended purpose...again, it works great. 

Hmmm. In that case, is Baby Oil a petro product?
2010-05-31 4:34 AM
in reply to: #2891617

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
StrayDog - 2010-05-31 12:18 AM

guticur - 2010-05-31 7:23 PM

Hmmm. In that case, is Baby Oil a petro product?

I retrospect, I guess I have heard conflicting things about using PAM. I have used it in the past with no problems, and I know lots of people use it. I haven't heard any explanation for why it might cause problems - maybe it's something to do with the propellants... Anyway, with the cost of wetsuits, I guess it's better to be safe than sorry! Baby oil is not petro based, and is fine to use (in fact, my last wetsuit suggested it as a lubricant in the owners info). I've seen others recommend something called "Suit Juice" - made specifically for wetsuits. I've never used it, myself, though.

2010-05-31 6:00 AM

Veteran
First race is under my belt, and I am officially a "triathlete!"  It's amazing how goofy happy I felt crossing the finish line and getting that finishers medal.  You would have thought I won an Olympic gold medal.  So funny.  I wore it all weekend.  =)

This race was a mini sprint, so about half the distances of my real sprint in July.  That's a little daunting to me swim-wise right now, because I backstroked pretty much the whole 200M.  I finished, and I wasn't last, but it took a LONG time.  SO that will be my focus for the next 7-8 weeks.  Rocked the bike, survived the run.  I learned that it is much harder to control my HR in a race than in training.  I just wanted to go, go, go and keep up with people.  That killed my run.  So, now I know. 

Wetsuit issue - wore my sleeveless wetsuit, which was great in the bay.  I don't have any open water anxiety issues or anything, but the wetsuit changed my stroke so much.  I couldn't breast stroke at all because my legs were so floaty.  My whip kick was useless.  I didn't expect that. 

And I am very happy that I practiced my transitions ahead of time and read so much about them.  Mine were very quick.  In fact, in T2, I stood there for a moment thinking, "Is that it?"  Good times. 

Happy Memorial Day to all!
2010-05-31 7:56 AM
in reply to: #2891718

User image

mmgoldenb - 2010-05-31 7:00 AM First race is under my belt, and I am officially a "triathlete!"  It's amazing how goofy happy I felt crossing the finish line and getting that finishers medal.  You would have thought I won an Olympic gold medal.  So funny.  I wore it all weekend.  =)

This race was a mini sprint, so about half the distances of my real sprint in July.  That's a little daunting to me swim-wise right now, because I backstroked pretty much the whole 200M.  I finished, and I wasn't last, but it took a LONG time.  SO that will be my focus for the next 7-8 weeks.  Rocked the bike, survived the run.  I learned that it is much harder to control my HR in a race than in training.  I just wanted to go, go, go and keep up with people.  That killed my run.  So, now I know. 

Wetsuit issue - wore my sleeveless wetsuit, which was great in the bay.  I don't have any open water anxiety issues or anything, but the wetsuit changed my stroke so much.  I couldn't breast stroke at all because my legs were so floaty.  My whip kick was useless.  I didn't expect that. 

And I am very happy that I practiced my transitions ahead of time and read so much about them.  Mine were very quick.  In fact, in T2, I stood there for a moment thinking, "Is that it?"  Good times. 

CONGRATULATIONS MARLA! How exciting for you! Sounds like you did great on your first tri. I think the hardest part is in most people's heads. It must be hard to maintain focus on breathing etc when you're caught up in all the excitement. I am still looking for a wetsuit. Trying to find a cheap (used) long sleeve. There are deals to be had on sleeveless--you think it worked ok for the NJ bay temps? I might rethink. In any event, HUGE congrats to you on your first tri! 
2010-05-31 8:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
mmgoldenb - 2010-05-31 7:00 AM First race is under my belt, and I am officially a "triathlete!"  It's amazing how goofy happy I felt crossing the finish line and getting that finishers medal.  You would have thought I won an Olympic gold medal.  So funny.  I wore it all weekend.  =)

Way to go Marla...did you take pictures? 
2010-05-31 7:32 PM

Way to go on your mini Marla!
My friend and I did a mock mini of our own this weekend 150 yd /6 mile /1.5 mile and I too was a bit leary on the swim. last week was my first ows. I tried my wet suit but found it difficult was a little better without but either way after about 100-125 yards I am out of air.
I know I can finish the 400 yards but I will need to stop. I think this works better for me than back stroke because I went way off coarse doing that.
I watched my first tri this weekend and gosh that swim looks LONG!!!!
My question to all of you should I stop and hang on or float or what and should I try the wetsuit again? Will it give me that much help or hinderence?
Thanks
2010-06-01 1:05 AM

User image

Veteran
mmgoldenb - 2010-06-01 4:00 AM First race is under my belt, and I am officially a "triathlete!"  It's amazing how goofy happy I felt crossing the finish line and getting that finishers medal.  You would have thought I won an Olympic gold medal.  So funny.  I wore it all weekend.  =)

Totally cool finish Marla. Congrats on your medal. You sound pumed, that's great.

2010-06-01 1:16 AM
in reply to: #2892648

User image

Veteran
Amhgbh - 2010-06-01 5:32 PM Way to go on your mini Marla!
My friend and I did a mock mini of our own this weekend 150 yd /6 mile /1.5 mile and I too was a bit leary on the swim. last week was my first ows. I tried my wet suit but found it difficult was a little better without but either way after about 100-125 yards I am out of air.
I know I can finish the 400 yards but I will need to stop. I think this works better for me than back stroke because I went way off coarse doing that.
I watched my first tri this weekend and gosh that swim looks LONG!!!!
My question to all of you should I stop and hang on or float or what and should I try the wetsuit again? Will it give me that much help or hinderence?
Thanks

I'll bite. I think if you know your going to stop and rest already then you should definitely wear the suit. Two reasons pop up for me, those are flotation and comfort. The suit will provide some additional flotation while resting and provide some warmth as heat doesn't escape as fast as it would without one. As far as rest, I can't speak to a race but...in training I try NOT to STOP to rest, but decrease my pace to a much more comfortable level and change my stroke but always move forward. Every little bit helps. I usually switch from a crawl to a side stroke when I am really winded to keep moving forward and "rest" a bit. PS: Hope everyone had a great memorial day.

Edited by StrayDog 2010-06-01 1:17 AM
2010-06-01 5:16 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
I hope everyone had a great Memorial Day weekend! I can't believe it's JUNE already!!

MARLA Congratulations, TRIATHLETE!! Great job on your first tri!!! And... yea.... breast stroke kick is pretty much useless in a wetsuit!

AMY Whether or not to wear a wetsuit will come down to what you're most comfortable with. I tend to agree with Jeff that the added flotation would be helpful. It might not be a bad idea to try and do a few practice swims in the wetsuit so you get used to the way it feels. If you find you really don't like the way it feels, and the water will be warm enough for your swim, then you could swim without.
2010-06-01 11:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Back on track. Did Bodypump and ran with my wife. Very hot and humid in our corner of the world. It's great training, trying to get used to summer conditions.
2010-06-01 11:40 AM
in reply to: #2893213

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Congrats Marla o your tri.

Thanks everyone on answering amy's wetsuit questions because it helps me too.
3 more weeks to my sprint tri.

Lovey
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's training group - FULL!! Rss Feed  

of 32