BT Development Mentor Program Archives » amschrod's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2010-07-20 9:46 PM
in reply to: #2993460

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: amschrod's mentor group - FULL
Roadtoad22 - 2010-07-20 8:15 PM

Great job you guys!  I wish I had a PR to report these days but I am still chugging along slowly.  I have managed to recruit several ladies to train for a 1/2 marathon- I will be the "running coach" which helps keep me motivated too.

You have a little baby, a hubby (which isn't too much different from a little baby), and you're working, so anything you do counts as a PR. Should be fun coaching for the HM.

Today's Quote
 There are only two options regarding commitment.  You're either IN or you're OUT.  There is no such thing as a life in between.
  (our families might not like this one!)

Another good one!

2010-07-20 9:55 PM
in reply to: #2993701

User image

Expert
I completed my RR, if anyone would like to take a look: Hudson Valley Tri. I really enjoyed this race and look forward to doing it again. One of the fun things about racing is you get to swim, ride and run in new and interesting places. Here's a picture of the park and Hudson River where I raced last Sunday:

2010-07-21 7:09 PM
in reply to: #2774068

User image

Wilmington NC
Beautiful pics Anthony!
  Today's quote isnt sports but rather life related

Fear Less, Hope More
Whine less, Breathe more
Talk less, Say more
Hate less, Love More
and all good things are yours
2010-07-21 7:49 PM
in reply to: #2996029

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Roadtoad22 - 2010-07-21 8:09 PM Beautiful pics Anthony!

Fear Less, Hope More
Whine less, Breathe more
Talk less, Say more
Hate less, Love More

Thanks Paula for your "Quotes of the Day"  I really enjoy each days quotes.  Great job Anthony on your race and Warren on your PR time trial.  ...and all good things are yours.  See how that works!

Anthony great photo of the park with the bridge in the background.  Is that the Mid-Hudson Bridge??

2010-07-22 7:03 PM

User image

Wilmington NC
Quote of the day
  If it's to be, it's up to me

I really like this one, should have read it this am.  I didnt run this morning even though I was awake.  I ate horribly too.  When I have a bad day, I really have a bad day.  I need to read through all my quotes more often!
2010-07-22 10:06 PM
in reply to: #2996089

User image

Expert
scott1223 - 2010-07-21 8:49 PM
Roadtoad22 - 2010-07-21 8:09 PM Beautiful pics Anthony!

Fear Less, Hope More
Whine less, Breathe more
Talk less, Say more
Hate less, Love More

Thanks Paula for your "Quotes of the Day"  I really enjoy each days quotes.  Great job Anthony on your race and Warren on your PR time trial.  ...and all good things are yours.  See how that works!

Anthony great photo of the park with the bridge in the background.  Is that the Mid-Hudson Bridge??

Thanks for the compliments! It is a nice little park, and I got the bridge in the background because I find bridges very interesting. That is the Kingston-Rhinecliff bridge which is about 25 miles north of the The Mid Hudson bridge which is in Poughkeepsie.

2010-07-23 11:30 AM

User image

NH
That's an awesome picture Anthony.  Those quotes are great, keep em coming.

Hope everyone has a great weekend - I'm on recovery week so a little less volume and my legs are feeling great again.  Hoping to get some lake swimming in, but something always seems to cut it short.  Too many visitors this year, I like being a loner!  Cool
2010-07-25 9:55 AM
in reply to: #3000190

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-07-23 12:30 PM Hope everyone has a great weekend - I'm on recovery week so a little less volume and my legs are feeling great again.  Hoping to get some lake swimming in, but something always seems to cut it short.  Too many visitors this year, I like being a loner!  Cool

I like being a loaner as well; that's why I like to do my training early before any one can bother me by talking to me

So, did you ever think you would consider a week with seven hours of training an easy "recovery" week?

Anthony
2010-07-25 7:05 PM
in reply to: #3002875

User image

NH
amschrod - 2010-07-25 10:55 AM
I like being a loaner as well; that's why I like to do my training early before any one can bother me by talking to me

So, did you ever think you would consider a week with seven hours of training an easy "recovery" week?

Anthony

Hahaha.  My wife was just laughing at me today about that.  And I added an hour swim today!  And no, I still can't believe what my body is happily doing at 48.
2010-07-28 8:30 AM

User image

NH
Alright group, where are we?  Is everyone having a good week?

I had a great ?long run today.  I tried the walk/run method, and I loved it.  I did 10 min run, 1 walk.  My overall pace was the same as a my typical long runs, but I had a ton more energy at the end and really felt completely fresh at the end.

I have a few days off and then a race rehearsal Sat. where I go through a 1000 swim at race pace, a full 56 bike at race pace, and an hour run at race pace, with the idea of nailing nutrition and pacing of all three legs.
2010-07-29 5:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Nice job on your run Warren...You shouldn't have any problems with your pre-race.  I am off to work, where I should be off to the gym/pool.  Last night another 12hrs at work...UGH!!  I am looking forward to Aug. 6 we are off the OBX (Outer Banks, NC) for a much needed vacation (training when and how much I want...yeah!

I like the idea of walk/run...I have heard that is a training plan for marathoners.  Can you use that method for 6-9mi runs or do you need longer mileage?

What happened to our Quotes of the Day??

Edited by scott1223 2010-07-29 5:34 AM

2010-07-29 8:24 AM
in reply to: #3011433

User image

NH
scott1223 - 2010-07-29 6:32 AM Nice job on your run Warren...You shouldn't have any problems with your pre-race.  I am off to work, where I should be off to the gym/pool.  Last night another 12hrs at work...UGH!!  I am looking forward to Aug. 6 we are off the OBX (Outer Banks, NC) for a much needed vacation (training when and how much I want...yeah!

I like the idea of walk/run...I have heard that is a training plan for marathoners.  Can you use that method for 6-9mi runs or do you need longer mileage?

What happened to our Quotes of the Day??

Enjoy your vacation.  Should be great to at least be away from the rat race.

I'm planning to use the walk/run for my 9+ milers, and may actually add it for my hard run which is 10k ish.  Actually, Bobby McGee (the run/walk guru) says anything over 35 to 45 minutes is game.

I'll be curious to hear how the Outer Banks is this time of year.  A bunch of friends are planning a mini-reunion with families in a few years and that's one of the destinations, but some are worried about NC in the August time frame being too hot/humid. 
2010-07-29 12:21 PM
in reply to: #3009298

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-07-28 9:30 AM Alright group, where are we?  Is everyone having a good week?

I have been much too busy at work this week! I checked everyone's logs at the office yesterday, and then I figured I would check in here last night when I got home, but our internet connection wasn't working. Fixed it this AM; turned out I just needed to reboot and reset the router.

I had a great ?long run today.  I tried the walk/run method, and I loved it.  I did 10 min run, 1 walk.  My overall pace was the same as a my typical long runs, but I had a ton more energy at the end and really felt completely fresh at the end.

That sounds good. I have heard lots of good things about walk/run. I have 10 miles planned for Saturday and I may give it a try.

I have a few days off and then a race rehearsal Sat. where I go through a 1000 swim at race pace, a full 56 bike at race pace, and an hour run at race pace, with the idea of nailing nutrition and pacing of all three legs.

That sounds like a pretty good workout! Should give you a very good idea of how to nail the pacing and nutrition in your HIM which is so crucial at that distance. I am looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Anthony
2010-07-29 12:27 PM
in reply to: #3011433

User image

Expert
scott1223 - 2010-07-29 6:32 AM Nice job on your run Warren...You shouldn't have any problems with your pre-race.  I am off to work, where I should be off to the gym/pool.  Last night another 12hrs at work...UGH!!  I am looking forward to Aug. 6 we are off the OBX (Outer Banks, NC) for a much needed vacation (training when and how much I want...yeah!)

You definitely could use the vacation! I've only been to the Outer Banks once about 15 years ago and I really enjoyed it. I am sure you will have a great time.

Anthony 

2010-08-01 9:17 AM

User image

NH
My race prep was tough.  The air temp was 48 when I started, and even though the water was warm, 77, I was FROZEN when I got out of the water even though it was only 500 yards.  I need to figure out how to warm up after a cold swim, since my half is likely to be in similar temps with even colder water, though I'll have a wetsuit.  It was really tough to get my hands and feet warm.  I also dropped my chain, the first time that's happened.  I think I need to clean and tune everything up, my chain and rings are grimy.  The run was great, I certainly could go out faster so now I'm looking forward to my next prep and I'll push the run a little more.

How often does everyone clean their bikes?  I lube frequently, but realize I don't clean it very often.

Edited by wbayek 2010-08-01 9:23 AM
2010-08-01 12:09 PM
in reply to: #3016454

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-08-01 10:17 AM My race prep was tough.  The air temp was 48 when I started, and even though the water was warm, 77, I was FROZEN when I got out of the water even though it was only 500 yards.  I need to figure out how to warm up after a cold swim, since my half is likely to be in similar temps with even colder water, though I'll have a wetsuit.  It was really tough to get my hands and feet warm.

First of all, that was really a good workout you had on Saturday. Everyone should check out Warren's log because it is really very impressive. I especially like how solid your run effort was. Very nice!

As far as as being cold goes, that gets a little more complicated. First of all, you will definitely be warmer getting out of the water when you wear your wetsuit. Your core will be warmer, so instead of having to work at keeping your core temperature up, your body will be able to keep the blood flowing to your extremities so your hands and feet will be warmer. Now, as far as being warm enough on the ride, that is really pretty individual. For me, if it was supposed to be in the low 50's for the whole ride, I might consider wearing these nice fairly light smart wool socks that I have. Other than that it would probably have to be in the 40's for me to consider wearing anything other than my regular tri stuff. But that's me and every one is really different with the weather.

I also dropped my chain, the first time that's happened.  I think I need to clean and tune everything up, my chain and rings are grimy.  The run was great, I certainly could go out faster so now I'm looking forward to my next prep and I'll push the run a little more.

How often does everyone clean their bikes?  I lube frequently, but realize I don't clean it very often.

I try to clean my drive train every week, or at least every other week. I find "Simple Green" spray cleaner works really well, and is much cheaper than the special cleaners you can get at the bike shop. My wife makes fun of me because I keep my bike waaaaaay cleaner than my car

Once again Warren, fantastic training on Saturday!!!! I am truly impressed.

Anthony

2010-08-02 10:33 AM

User image

NH
Thanks Anthony, I didn't really feel like I did anything fantastic this weekend and actually felt a little bad about cutting the swim short (it was planned to be 1000 but I went 500 instead).  I have another one planned 2 weeks out from the race, so we'll see how that goes since I'll use the wetsuit and try to find a flatter bike route.  I may bring throw away gloves and some arm warmers to see if just getting the extremities warmer is all I need to do with the cold.  Of course, late August could just as easily be a low of 70, but Friday night was an unusually cool night.

You clean the bike every week or so!  I'm a year overdue!  I will get some stuff and get it done.  My bike tends to be neglected since it's not a high end bike; that's probably unfair of me.  It has been very kind to me through the years and for the price I paid has been amazing.
2010-08-03 2:32 PM
in reply to: #3018222

User image

Expert
Warren, take my word for it, that was a nice workout

I can't believe it is August already! We have a few races this month. Bill will be doing a sprint next Sunday, and Warren has a sprint scheduled for 8/21. I will probably do a local sprint on the 15th. I am looking forward to seeing how Bill does on his second race now that he has his feet wet.

I have finally decided to do the Toughman HIM which is on 9/12, the same day as Warren's first HIM. Should be a great day!

Anthony
2010-08-04 4:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Hey Gang,

I've been extremely busy at work these past two weeks...also family obligations.  Training has suffered and I know I've been less tolerant with everyone I come in contact with.  Need to make time to do something s/b/r.  I know when I don't get to train/gym it effects my mood.

Warren's training log is AWESOME.  Your hard efforts will payoff race day!  I also am guilty of neglecting cleaning my bike.  I like the simple green idea, thanks Anthony!  What do you use on the chain?

Getting to the gym tonight...raining here today so will take my training inside.

2010-08-04 11:44 AM
in reply to: #3022325

User image

Expert
scott1223 - 2010-08-04 5:59 AM Hey Gang,

I've been extremely busy at work these past two weeks...also family obligations.  Training has suffered and I know I've been less tolerant with everyone I come in contact with.  Need to make time to do something s/b/r.  I know when I don't get to train/gym it effects my mood.

Training definitely is good for my mood and for most people. There is even something called taper madness that people talk about a lot. Especially IMer's who have a heavy training load and longer taper.

Warren's training log is AWESOME.  Your hard efforts will payoff race day!

Absolutely!

I also am guilty of neglecting cleaning my bike.  I like the simple green idea, thanks Anthony!  What do you use on the chain?

Lately I have been using Pro Link as a lube. I use the Simple Green with a chain cleaning tool. Here's a pic of one:

Anthony
2010-08-04 7:13 PM

User image

Regular
Tallmadge
Hey everyone:

Sorry I haven't been too social....I've been working 12 hour shifts for the last 3 weeks.  My training has suffered a bit but I'm back at it hitting it hard.  The family went to church camp last week and I joined them for the weekend.  It turns out there was a Sprint Triathlon scheduled for Saturday so I signed up.  This was a church camp only triathlon with 3 man teams.  I did the whole thing myself.  It was alot of fun (I had my bike and all my gear because I was planning to do some training that weekend).  There were no real official times or distances  other than guestimates (200y swim, 5 mile bike, and 2 mile run).  The swimmers were all in their teens and 20's with 1 competing in the Nationals and Olympic trials....oh and 1 42 year old man...ME.  Needless to say, it was extremely competitive.  I went all out on the swim and came in 4th place against the 'kids'.  Unfortunately it crushed my lungs and I wasn't able to recover.  During the last mile of the bike, I fell to last place...it was a valiant effort.  My run was pretty slow, guessing around 9 to 10 minute miles...thank God for my wife, who ran the 2 miles with me and offered tremendous moral support.  I learned what going out too fast can do to your race.  Following the Tri was all you can eat watermelon...yummy!  I bought a used Tri bike today, an old Quintana Roo Kilo, from a 'wanted to buy' craigslist ad I ran.  It was the right size and in fantastic condition and the price was right.  I did a training ride today, 24.8 miles and averaged 23 miles/hr..... 1:03:58.  I'm pretty jazzed about my new wheels.  Unfortunately, I crashed and got my first road rash in years.....what a mess.  But, the good news,....the bike is fine =).  Talk to you guys later,

Dan

2010-08-05 11:15 AM
in reply to: #3024055

User image

NH
Good to hear you again Danny.  Sounds like a great time at that race.  My 2 older kids are at a church camp this week on the lake which holds the Mooseman tri (Newfound lake in NH).  There's no tri available, but the kids can do a 1 mile swim across the lake to earn a special swim band.  My 12 year old did it last year so I don't know if he'll do it again this year.  So he's not so impressed that I'll be doing the 1.2 mile swim as part of the half!

Congrats on the new bike and that's an awesome pace!  I can hold 23 mph for about 5 minutes - if the hill is big enough! 
2010-08-05 12:38 PM
in reply to: #3024055

User image

Expert
Sounds like a fun time, Danny! I may over emphasize starting smooth and easy on the swim, but, as you found out, once your breathing is out of control, it's hard to get back. Very nice that your wife ran with you.Watermelon is by far my favorite post race food, so that would have made me very happy.

Congratulations on your new bike! Any chance you can show us a picture. Sorry about the road rash, but very glad the bike is OK

Anthony
2010-08-05 3:21 PM
in reply to: #3025514

User image

Regular
Tallmadge
Yup, I'll have my son take a couple pics and I'll post em.  He took it out for  a spin and got it up to 35mph just in our development (he's alot stronger than me....17yrs old) and informed me he'd be taking my bike out for rides periodically....ha!  The bike looks small (it has 650's on it) but the geometry is right so it works for me.  I have to get used to my head being down so low, facing the pavement....helmet kept dropping over my eyes....riding blind is no good!
2010-08-06 3:47 PM
in reply to: #3025910

User image

Regular
Tallmadge
bike pics won't attach to the thread, will have to try another way

Edited by DannyK 2010-08-06 3:52 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » amschrod's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24