Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2011-01-11 12:52 PM
in reply to: #3256300

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Subject: RE: Razorxp Group Is CLOSED
My university kineseology dept. has a egg looking chamber you sit in.  30 secs later they tell you exactly your body composition, % of fat.  Only want to go. See if they offer the service around you.  BMI is way off generally.

Do you feel fat?  Do you feel strong?  Energetic?

I've been doing some weight lifting and core work this winter, I think I've gained weight because muscle weighs more but I also got into a small waisted jean last weekend, a 33.  I'm not worrying about it.  As soon as it's warm and the bike and runs go outdoors and the time ramps up, its all going to be good. And, I can see my 6 pack    

2011-01-11 1:53 PM
in reply to: #3292647

User image

Veteran
Mass.
tmoran80 - 2011-01-11 1:20 PM I am getting somewhat concerned about my weight as it keeps steadily rising.  I have been pretty consistent at 165 for the past year and got down to 159 for my HIM in September.  I backed off training a little bit in NOV/DEC and gained a litttle weight expecting that I would just lose it when I went back into full gear after x-mas.  The problem is it keeps going up.  I got on scale today and was 172.

Last season i determined that I was not eating correctly and usually found myself dragging by Wed/Thu and would drop a workout or cut back which was frustrating.  My thinking is that I was not re-fueling correctly.  I have been reading this book and following the formulas and even created a spreadsheet with all the formulas from the book for different types of workouts and refuealing needs regarding carbs, protein and fat.  I have been shooting for 400-450g of carbs, 82g protein and 66g fat in my diet on days I workout.  Depending on what I am doing I am usually shooting for 2800 to 3600 calories.

I have been feeling great and have not found myself tired but do you think I am eating too much?  It doesn't feel that way but like I said I am not dropping the weight like normal.  Maybe last season since I wasn't eating correctly I was losing too much weight?

Another thing is that I have been lifting again for the past 2 months so i am wondering if the extra weight is muscle?

Any thoughts or comments woudl be appreciated - thanks!

If your fitness is staying where it is, or still getting better, I wouldn't worry about the weight.  If it was "bad" weight you'd feel it!  I've been stuck at 210 for a few weeks now, but my clothes are still getting loosser. I started doing more strength work also.  Not dropping any more weight but I feel stronger.
2011-01-11 1:54 PM
in reply to: #3292647

User image

Veteran
tmoran80 - 2011-01-11 12:20 PM I am getting somewhat concerned about my weight as it keeps steadily rising.  I have been pretty consistent at 165 for the past year and got down to 159 for my HIM in September.  I backed off training a little bit in NOV/DEC and gained a litttle weight expecting that I would just lose it when I went back into full gear after x-mas.  The problem is it keeps going up.  I got on scale today and was 172.

Last season i determined that I was not eating correctly and usually found myself dragging by Wed/Thu and would drop a workout or cut back which was frustrating.  My thinking is that I was not re-fueling correctly.  I have been reading this book and following the formulas and even created a spreadsheet with all the formulas from the book for different types of workouts and refuealing needs regarding carbs, protein and fat.  I have been shooting for 400-450g of carbs, 82g protein and 66g fat in my diet on days I workout.  Depending on what I am doing I am usually shooting for 2800 to 3600 calories.

I have been feeling great and have not found myself tired but do you think I am eating too much?  It doesn't feel that way but like I said I am not dropping the weight like normal.  Maybe last season since I wasn't eating correctly I was losing too much weight?

Another thing is that I have been lifting again for the past 2 months so i am wondering if the extra weight is muscle?

i would chalk it up to proper nutrition as you are feeding your muscles properly.  last year you could have been losing muscle (and weight) due to poor nutrition following workouts.  if it continues you might want to consider adjusting but at this point if you feel good i would not be concerned.
2011-01-11 5:14 PM
in reply to: #3292904

User image

Expert
Thanks for your responses - Overall I feel great so you guys are probably right and I shouldn't worry about it.  I should look into that fancy BMI just to get a baseline.

gabrelsj - 2011-01-11 1:54 PM
tmoran80 - 2011-01-11 12:20 PM I am getting somewhat concerned about my weight as it keeps steadily rising.  I have been pretty consistent at 165 for the past year and got down to 159 for my HIM in September.  I backed off training a little bit in NOV/DEC and gained a litttle weight expecting that I would just lose it when I went back into full gear after x-mas.  The problem is it keeps going up.  I got on scale today and was 172.

i would chalk it up to proper nutrition as you are feeding your muscles properly.  last year you could have been losing muscle (and weight) due to poor nutrition following workouts.  if it continues you might want to consider adjusting but at this point if you feel good i would not be concerned.
2011-01-11 6:00 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

A bit of a frustrating swim today Frown my drills felt tough, I felt tired and today I felt like I am never going to get the hang of it
Yell F!&%

So - after my swim I decided to come home for a ride on the bike - at least I know I can breath when I want to on the bike LOL

Oh well - maybe tomorrow will be different.

Have a great night everyone.

KC

2011-01-11 6:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Coldfoot, Alaska
Good day today. I'm liking it! Started the day off with a swim. My main set was 500 and I avg a 2:36 for it. Very nice - for me especially. Hardest part was some lady got in the pool right at the end and it was like my chest just seized  up. She had some awful perfume on and it made it hard to breath. Fortunately I was done with my workout - I had just added 200 yds of kicking to the end because I wasn't quite ready to get out  so I finished up and left. And the pool was WARM like 94 degrees. Ok not warm. HOT. I was almost sick at first it was so hot. But I finally settled into things. I did end up with a sore spot from where my swimsuit is rubbing so I guess it's time for a new swimsuit. The one I have is a four year old $15 walmart special that I saw on one of the aforementioned old ladies yesterday. So probably could use something more my age! 

Came home had lunch and read a book - have to go back to work tomorrow, so getting all I can in. Then off to my bike fit which took about an hour. Mostly because we were talking and I was getting all kinds of hints and tricks. Moved my seat up about two inches, turned my handlebars up more so my wrist were at a natural angle and leveled the seat off. Moved my cleat position a little and then slid my seat back. Best part - the price $30!!!! Everything else looked really good. I do need to upgrade my saddle however as the one I'm using is a little too soft and apparently I'm pinching a nerve bundle which is why my feet keep falling asleep. So he's going to order the saddle he'd recommend in for me. The Terry butterfly saddle. It's $65 but apparently it's the to die for saddle for women. He has the upgrade $130 version in stock but says its a waste of money for me to upgrade unless I really want to count ounces. I figure for the extra $65 I can buy a lot of fruits and vegetables instead of McDonald's and lose a whole lot more weight than a few ounces. 

So following all that I went out for a quick 6 mile ride. Really wished it could of lasted longer but at the same time it was pretty cold. About 32 degrees. With wind. Really need to remember to wear full length gloves as my hands were white at the end. 

So yeah. A good day today! Still need to do my core work but I'll go knock that out right now!

2011-01-11 7:04 PM
in reply to: #3293467

User image

Veteran
kcgolf - 2011-01-11 6:00 PM

A bit of a frustrating swim today Frown my drills felt tough, I felt tired and today I felt like I am never going to get the hang of it
Yell F!&%

So - after my swim I decided to come home for a ride on the bike - at least I know I can breath when I want to on the bike LOL

KC

tomorrow will be better- just keep at it!
2011-01-11 7:59 PM
in reply to: #3293467

User image

Veteran
Mass.
kcgolf - 2011-01-11 7:00 PM

Yell F!&%

KC

That's my problem with the swim to. I always feel like I'm out of breath. Even after only 50 yards I stop and pant. My swim coach says my stroke looks good and that all it's going to take is practice and to remember to relax. I can feel a difference when I do make an effort to relax a little bit more. We just have to stick with it and hope there's always a rescue kyak nearby so we can take a breather.
2011-01-11 8:22 PM
in reply to: #3293635

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
kdevarenne - 2011-01-11 8:59 PM
kcgolf - 2011-01-11 7:00 PM

Yell F!&%

KC

That's my problem with the swim to. I always feel like I'm out of breath. Even after only 50 yards I stop and pant. My swim coach says my stroke looks good and that all it's going to take is practice and to remember to relax. I can feel a difference when I do make an effort to relax a little bit more. We just have to stick with it and hope there's always a rescue kyak nearby so we can take a breather.

I used to have the same problem when I ran. I found really slowing it down helped me. I would start off and go faster than I could manage and then die after 1/4 mile. I had to set the treadmill to '5' and managed to start building endurance. Now that I can run for longer, I am working on speed. Perhaps if you slow the swim pace down and focus on endurance you may find it all comes together.
2011-01-11 8:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
No workout for me today. Worked from 7am - 8:30pm and I'm pooped. Yesterday I swam a 1450, and ran some sprints

We are expecting up to 2ft of snow tomorrow, so I am taking the day off and intend to put some quality time in with the trainer. I'm SO over winter, enough already!

Was thinking of getting a spinnervals DVD, but there seem to be so many to choose from. Any recommendations for a first one? Are they worth having? 

2011-01-11 8:38 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

Tim is so right running on the snow is a blast. Just be extra careful and have shoes with treads.

Tim, Jason and Caleb are right the biggest thing is how are you feeling? Don't forget its early in the season so your focusing staying healthy and getting stronger (engine/muscles).  How are your run splits today vr your lowest weight?  What type of speeds are you holding on the bike now vrs then?  Now if your carrying extra fat (like me now) I would adjust cals to get rid of it.

KC read my PM and hang in there.  You are not that off in the swim, once your comfortable you will improve quickly.  I would just swim and get comfortable in the water.

Erin great job in the pool.. I am a pool enforcer at our YMCA and everytime someone does that I remind them they are supposed to shower before getting in the pool.  I'm sure I don't make friends but it triggers my asthma and makes it hard to breath and swim.  94 in the pool???? are you sure you were not in the hot tub?? That is great news on the bike and a good price for a fitting.  I'm not familiar with that seat but I only train one female and its my wife lol.  Regardless make sure you like it. I have 6 saddles and hated all of them (thats why I buy used or swap them before I pay full price)

Keith I have not seen you breath but are you trying to breath every 3rd or every other stroke?

2011-01-11 8:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
One thing I had to learn on the swim and the run - if I don't breath all the way out, I can't breath in.  I have to push the air out and then my body had no choice but to fill my lungs with fresh air.  If I don't then stale air builds up and I feel like I'm out of breath all the time. 

Also on the swim, trust me, if you keep swimming through that initial feeling of breathlessness, it passes.  Your body is shifting ways of burning O2 or so my coach says...so if I just keep stroking and breathing through it, it will pass...Breath out, breath in...repeat.  Relaxing is critical. The water is my friend, the water is my friend.  Works...

Edited by IceManScott 2011-01-12 6:44 AM
2011-01-11 8:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

If you are looking to try a saddle, try the ISM Adamo.  Been on them since 2006 after prostate cancer and will not switch.  Now many big names use them. Lance had one on his TT bike last year.   The number 2 and 3 women bike splits at Kona... Craig Alexander, I think. 

Edited by IceManScott 2011-01-12 6:43 AM
2011-01-11 9:48 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Thanks for the support and encouragement with my swim issues everyone. I really appreciate it.

I will try to get back in there tomorrow followed by a good weight and stretching session.

Have a great night.

KC
2011-01-12 7:28 AM
in reply to: #3293692

User image

Veteran
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-01-11 8:34 PM No workout for me today. Worked from 7am - 8:30pm and I'm pooped. Yesterday I swam a 1450, and ran some sprints

We are expecting up to 2ft of snow tomorrow, so I am taking the day off and intend to put some quality time in with the trainer. I'm SO over winter, enough already!

Was thinking of getting a spinnervals DVD, but there seem to be so many to choose from. Any recommendations for a first one? Are they worth having? 

i get a good workout with spinervals.  they all will push you if you follow the instructors directions.  they have one for TT and triathlon training and it kicks my butt.  i did it yesterday and then almost fell down my stairs when walking afterwards.  there is also one called stress test and suffer- probably the hardest i have seen.  there are two (hillacious and autumn ride) that are a little more low key but you still will work and sweaet like crazy.  i would get the TT and tri training one.
2011-01-12 7:34 AM

User image

Veteran
enough is enough.  i live in atlanta and we are not used to snow and ice.  the pool has been closed (along with everything else) since it snowed sunday.  i feel like i am losing time by not getting in the pool.  i would be going crazy if i did not have a trainer and tread mill.  i am ready for spring...but then i will complain about pollen and allergies.

2011-01-12 7:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL
Had a pretty decent swim yesterday except on the drills.  I felt dreadfully slow on the Closed Fist drill and can't really get into Swim Golf as I find myself losing focus on form.  In fact, I wanted to throw that drill out completely because I don't really get the reason for it.  Isn't it just diagnosing a symptom and not the cause?

4.4 miles on tap today and I'm stoked.  I usually have a hard time containing myslef as I sometimes have 4 miles to do and throw down 6 just because I feel like it.  Methinks that this is causing some of my nagging issues.  Need to build a little slower.
2011-01-12 7:54 AM
in reply to: #3294096

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
robburkett - 2011-01-12 7:46 AM Had a pretty decent swim yesterday except on the drills.  I felt dreadfully slow on the Closed Fist drill and can't really get into Swim Golf as I find myself losing focus on form.  In fact, I wanted to throw that drill out completely because I don't really get the reason for it.  Isn't it just diagnosing a symptom and not the cause?

4.4 miles on tap today and I'm stoked.  I usually have a hard time containing myslef as I sometimes have 4 miles to do and throw down 6 just because I feel like it.  Methinks that this is causing some of my nagging issues.  Need to build a little slower.

Closed fist helped me.  The idea is to learn to use the entire forearm like a paddle.   It will feel slow...so my coach has us after every drill, swim a lap. 
2011-01-12 8:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Coldfoot, Alaska
Done for the day! Had a 2.2 mile run. Which I did in exactly 30 min on the treadmill. I'm usually doing speedwork on the treadmill because I get bored but I pushed myself to stay exactly on tempo. And I brought a runners world to cover the display so I wouldn't watch the seconds tick by. Felt really good at the end. Other thing I really enjoyed was watching the 7 people get on and get off in the time that I was running. 

Hopped downstairs for a swim and did my workout as written except I had a lot of trouble with the kick drills. Need to study the video more and figure out what exactly I'm supposed to do. So instead I did 4x200 with 60' rest. I swam them straight with no active recovery and without trying to hit each one in exactly 2:30/100 pace.  

Then as I was leaving the desk clerk said he was impressed and that I probably worked out more than anyone else there in the morning. Especially when you took out all of their "rest" breaks.

So off to work now.  

Scott -  thanks for the tip on the Adamo - I'll look into it. 
2011-01-12 8:54 AM
in reply to: #3294138

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL
IceManScott - 2011-01-12 7:54 AM
robburkett - 2011-01-12 7:46 AM Had a pretty decent swim yesterday except on the drills.  I felt dreadfully slow on the Closed Fist drill and can't really get into Swim Golf as I find myself losing focus on form.  In fact, I wanted to throw that drill out completely because I don't really get the reason for it.  Isn't it just diagnosing a symptom and not the cause?

Closed fist helped me.  The idea is to learn to use the entire forearm like a paddle.   It will feel slow...so my coach has us after every drill, swim a lap. 

I do a lap as well after closed fist.  Don't know if I am doing something wrong but I feel myself being pushed up instead of pulled forward during the drill.  This is dramatically different than the feel during freestyle.
2011-01-12 9:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
I don't know about that feeling of being pushed up.  The goal for me was to close the fist so I could work at making my forearm feel like a paddle.  It's helped me.

Edited by IceManScott 2011-01-12 10:29 AM

2011-01-12 10:17 AM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Jason I would love to say I feel bad but welcome to our world LOL

Rob you will be slow on the fist drill as most of your forward thrust is from your arm stroke.  I'm with you I tried the swim golf a few times and said heck with it as I focused on the counting and time more than just swimming.  The golf drill is to find your stroke count that yields the fastest time with fewest strokes (more strokes more effort).  If you have nagging issues stick to the plan, that is a third longer run than planned.  On the Fist drill if you are going up instead of forward your probably not getting in the water at the correct angle (pushing down instead of pulling back).

Erin nice job, make sure you are doing more than just speedwork though. Your body cannot do speedwork every workout.

I'm with Scott on the Adamo have that on all my bikes and love it.  Little weird at first but you get used to it especially in areo position.

2011-01-12 10:19 AM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
No lunch swim for me today, client stopped by for a meeting (hate it when work gets in the way of my training).  Will try to get in there before my spin class tonight.

2011-01-12 10:24 AM
in reply to: #3294287

User image

Expert
I agree with Scott - the Closed Fist drill is a great drill and I also use it alo.  Not really sure what you mean about being pushed? For me it helps get the "feel" of the water, especially when I do a freestyle stroke after it.  Make syou really aware of your stroke.

As far as the breathing - I am by no means a swimming expert and am still learning, but I went through the same thing last year and what I found was that I was kicking way too much.  I found this out during the pull drill that I was not out of breath as much or hard and my coach said it was because of that.  I think I was getting my HR up too much using the large leg muscles.  I really worked on streamlining/minimizing my kick and actually my coach started using me as an example -haha

Another thing that helped me and gave me some confidence are some hypoxic drills.  What I would do is qty 5 -25Y with the following breaths:  4 breaths, 3 breaths, 2 breaths, 1 breath and then swim 1 length with no breath.  The last one was tough but after a few times I was able to do it.  Really boosted my confidence by calming me down knowing I can swim 1 length no breath(without passing out -haha) so swimming under normal breathing conditions was a piece of cake.

Good luck and just remember to RELAX!!!

robburkett - 2011-01-12 8:54 AM
IceManScott - 2011-01-12 7:54 AM

I do a lap as well after closed fist.  Don't know if I am doing something wrong but I feel myself being pushed up instead of pulled forward during the drill.  This is dramatically different than the feel during freestyle.
2011-01-12 10:27 AM

User image

Expert
I did that 15% treadmill workout today and it was good.  I only did 1 mile in 13:30 and my HR was fairly high and I was sweating like a pig -haha  I am going to really try and incorporate this on light run days to reduce stress on my legs.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp Group Is CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 76