BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chet's Group is out doing it!- Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2011-02-04 1:10 PM
in reply to: #3256537

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Subject: RE: Chet's Group is out doing it!- Closed
Mel - very cool event!  That should be a lot of fun.  The barefoot running takes a while.  It really is starting over and retraining yourself how to run.  It sounds like you are being careful.

Finished my last run before the race and felt pretty good.  Now I will see what my bad taper is going to do to my race.  I am very excited to be able to run it though.  I think I wouldn't have made it without the rest and the Graston, right choice.

Hope everyone has a great weekend planned.  Travel day for me tomorrow, about 4.5 hours.   

2011-02-04 1:45 PM

Good luck Chet! Have a great race.
2011-02-04 6:02 PM

User image

Regular
Henderson
Happy Friday, thanks for all the feedback on the tires/tubes.  Lots of great advice.  I have been a bit lazy this week.  So cold, it's made me whimpy.  Can you believe I still have this cough, I think just today it might be finally tappering off. Lets hope!!  I did get to the pool Tue and Thurs for my training class.  Thursdays class was great.  Lots of drills to practice and some endurance work. 

Hi Mel, yay for commuter biking.  I wish I could bike to/from work.  The Wheel of Energy looks awesome, have fun with that.  Take it easy on those bare feets!!

David, good luck on your sprint-tri this weekend.  Im sure you'll do awesome!  I have worries about looking weird in the skin tight tri and wetsuit, lol.  Thanks for the video link, need to check it out.

Chet, you ready for the race Sunday?  Hope all is well and your heel holds up.  Tell your wife, Jill right?  Awesome job with her running.  I like your thoughts on the breaking up of the marathon and your pre-race routine.

Jeff, that is awesome you have so much activity in your family. Love it!!

Ross, how are the Tri bars, did you get them fitted?  I was looking at the water MP3 deal, so it works pretty well hu?

Gotta get going.  Another wrestling day tomorrow, all day event.  Hope to get a run in Sunday morning with some friends.  Hope everyone has a great weekend and good luck to everyone racing!!
2011-02-05 8:54 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Packed and on the road!  Next stop Expo.
2011-02-05 8:55 AM

User image

Regular
Henderson
Good Saturday morning.  I found us 1 step away from page 2, lol.  Just in time.  I have a long wrestling day ahead.  My son is doing really well this season.  2 tournaments away from State Championships.  Go Tyler.

Im going to go run tomorrow moring before the Superbowl.  Suppose to run 10 miles so hopefully that goes well since I haven't run much latley.  I think the cough is finally subsiding so hope to get back to regular workouts with swin, bike, run.  I really need to get busy.

Hope everyone has a great day. 
2011-02-05 1:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Had "good" race today. I started off really not into it. I was almost late. The fee was $2, I had nothing less than a twenty, almost forgot my water, made a wrong turn at one point and almost got lost to the start....errrrr. Then, I changed my attitude and decided I was going to run anyway, whether in the race or not. It just so happened that I got there just in time to register, I was not the last person to register, so there was plenty of change. I started in the back today and enjoyed the ride, saw some friends, I did have the gross deep cough though ( the tail end of something I caught) ...turned out to be a great day and I learned of a new bike route. N the end I felt great, I guess that's why I do Will swimm later though. Taking the boys snowboarding now.

Tomorrow running a new route before the superbowl. Go Packers!

2011-02-05 4:25 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Expo check. Bib check. A little rest now then an early dinner.Sheila, good luck to your son! Those tournaments can be long anf rough.Jeff, congrats. The race can be relaxing compared to getting to the start line huh?
2011-02-06 1:44 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa
Hi everyone,
Did my first tri this morning!!
Weather was a bit difficult, very hot and sticky and had several very heavy rain showers during the bike leg.
I was wearing my new cycling sunnies and couldn't see where I was going most of the time, at the end of the first lap I went down the wrong lane and after lots of shouts from spectators managed to weave through the cones and back onto the right route!!!
Swim was short but very physical, got kicked in the face so hard my goggles were squashed in to my left eye and were quite hard to remove and reposition due the suction, a lot more physical than ocean swims I've done (triathletes are obviously type A personalities...).
Bike was slow, I was being passed the whole time, I'm not sure whether it was the rain or me trying to conserve my legs for the run, but I came almost last in my age group on that leg.
Run was ok but shoes were completely soaked and felt like running with 2 bricks strapped to my feet.
Anyway, target was to get round in under 60 mins and to enjoy the experience: managed it in 66 mins (400m/15k/4k) and enjoyed myself so was a successful day.
I'm doing another of these mini-tri's in 3 weeks so my aim is to go harder on the bike next time.

Hope everyone else had a good weekend,

DavidSmile

2011-02-06 8:09 AM

Congrats to the racers! Sounds like you guys both had good days.

David I would be interested in your splits if its not too much hassle. I have no clue what to expect from my first tri and have a few months yet before it happens. How did the transitions go? Any tips or pointers are welcome, I sure would like to learn from your experience of a new sport.  Did you feel you could have gone harder on the bike?

In all the duathlons I have done I have found that no matter how tired my legs are from the run the bike seems ok for some reason. Never tried it the other way round and I fear that its probably harder. I know thats why we do "brick" sessions but I haven't started em yet.

Sheila I am lovin the speedo mp3 player. Got it for a reasonable price off the web. Tri bars are, like so many things, on the to do list. Having a minor crisis about which bike to put em on. The bike I was planning to "Tri up" is going to a friend for our May bike race so I guess it will have to go on the new shiny titanium bike. Trouble is the roads are v. salty at the moment and I can't bring myself to ruin all my brand new stuff on the shiny bike so it will have to wait for a while. Mountain biking to work and turbo sessions will have to do for now.

No doubt Chet is out winging his way round his marathon right now. Hope its going well.

Ross
2011-02-06 8:10 AM

Oooh, just spotted this on the BBC site.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12375646
2011-02-06 10:00 AM
in reply to: #3340650

User image

Regular
Henderson
Jeff, way to hang in there Saturday with the race.  Im heading out for what is suppose to be a 10 mile run this morning.  It's beautiful here in Vegas.  Great day for a run and Superbowl. Go Packers!!

Chet, good luck today!  Have fun.  Tyler was in the running for the top spot but had 2 tough matches which landed him with a 5th place win.  He was dissapointed but I was proud because he gave it all.

Dave, awesome job on hanging in with all the "little" nusiances.  Wow, sounded kinda brutal.  Enjoy the rest of your day.

I gotta get going, 10 mile run to get to.  Have a great day everyone!

2011-02-06 2:07 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Just a quick update on the way to the shower. 3:14:51 REQUALIFIED! More detailed later. Thx for the support. Congrats to all the racers today
2011-02-06 2:49 PM
in reply to: #3341678

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
cbarnes1 - 2011-02-06 3:07 PM Just a quick update on the way to the shower. 3:14:51 REQUALIFIED! More detailed later. Thx for the support. Congrats to all the racers today

AWESOME JOB!!!!

Edited by cwpeters 2011-02-06 2:50 PM
2011-02-06 4:32 PM

Massive congratulations! That must have been a stressful run! Couldn't have timed it better!
2011-02-06 9:40 PM

User image

Expert
Noosa
Great run Chet! Hope your heel's not too painful
2011-02-06 9:46 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
We had to drive straight home 5 hours after the race because we needed to pick up the kids.  I was up at 4am and I am beat.  I had a good race until about mile 21 then things kind of went south.  I still managed to hold on to get under the current BQ time.  I will do a race report soon.

My wife kicked but with a 4:21:50.  I saw her a couple times on the course and she was having a great time (way to much fun to be running a marathon) with a friend of hers.  She didn't pace great but still met her goal.  I'm proud of her.

I FINALLY get to have that beer I have been craving all day!!!! Hope everyone has a great night. 

David - Congrats on your tri.  It takes some practice to pace a tri.  Each time you will take away some knowledge and get better.  I would say it was a successful race for you for sure!

Edited by cbarnes1 2011-02-06 9:46 PM

2011-02-06 11:55 PM
in reply to: #3341301

User image

Expert
Noosa
eejit - 2011-02-06 11:09 PM Congrats to the racers! Sounds like you guys both had good days.

David I would be interested in your splits if its not too much hassle. I have no clue what to expect from my first tri and have a few months yet before it happens. How did the transitions go? Any tips or pointers are welcome, I sure would like to learn from your experience of a new sport.  Did you feel you could have gone harder on the bike?

In all the duathlons I have done I have found that no matter how tired my legs are from the run the bike seems ok for some reason. Never tried it the other way round and I fear that its probably harder. I know thats why we do "brick" sessions but I haven't started em yet.

Ross

Hi Ross,
I'm not sure of my splits, the timings seem to include the transition times but the swim was about 9 mins minus the transition time, bike 36 min minus transition time and run was 21 mins.

I didn't have a bike computer or my garmin but think I cycled around 25 km/hr and ran 5.15 min per km.
The bike felt like a rest after the swim but I was reluctant to crank it up a notch due to the run coming up, the run felt hard but I just plodded through.

Next time I'm going to swim wide, cycle harder and use a bike computer to keep track of pace. The run will just be whatever I can do depending on my legs.

I've realized that the bike leg is really the only bit that matters as far as getting a decent overall time...!

Anyway, I had a great time and learned a lot. The event turned out to be more of a serious race than I was expecting and the transition area was filled with the most amazing carbon race bikes and disc wheels etc.
A lot of people were with tri squads and some had international team tri suits on.

One of my old University friends did the women's event and her 9 year old son did the kid's tri which was fun to watch.
The next event is near Brisbane where they live so we're heading down for the weekend to give it a go.

Edited by copa2251 2011-02-07 12:31 AM
2011-02-07 1:45 AM

User image

Amsterdam
Congrats to Chet and David on your races!   (A BQ, Chet..   IMPRESSIVE!)  :-)

My "restful" weekend of cross training was a little less restful than I had intended.  I decided to commute (running errands across the city) by foot instead of by bicycle this weekend.  So I walked 13 miles on Saturday, and biked for ~25 mins, and walked/ran 1:1 intervals (the last 1/3 with groceries in my backpack) for another 13 miles on Sunday.  I was planning on stopping (and taking transit) the second that my calves felt tight -- but they never did.    The result is that I'm minorly sore all-over today, but I'm mostly feeling good...    :-)

Today is my run in the "hamster wheel" -- the plan is just to take it slow and easy, and have fun with it!

Have a good week everyone!

Mel
2011-02-07 9:29 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Thanks everyone!  I had to dig deep the last 2 miles and you guys were part of my motivation.  I guess it is just an accountability thing but it really helped.  Love these groups

David - I am in awe of the bikes at these races.  People are easily dropping $10,000 on those beautiful bikes.  I still believe it is mostly the engine that makes you faster though.  I don't think you need to save anything on the bike for shorter races.  They are redline all the way.  You should be using mostly different muscle groups on each leg so you should be able to hold on during the run.  Once you hit 70.3 and 140.6, then it is  absolutely necessary to pace the bike.

Mel- Good luck in your Hampster Wheel.  If you can I would love to see a picture of that!!!  Nice endurance workout yesterday too!! 
2011-02-07 9:29 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Thanks everyone!  I had to dig deep the last 2 miles and you guys were part of my motivation.  I guess it is just an accountability thing but it really helped.  Love these groups

David - I am in awe of the bikes at these races.  People are easily dropping $10,000 on those beautiful bikes.  I still believe it is mostly the engine that makes you faster though.  I don't think you need to save anything on the bike for shorter races.  They are redline all the way.  You should be using mostly different muscle groups on each leg so you should be able to hold on during the run.  Once you hit 70.3 and 140.6, then it is  absolutely necessary to pace the bike.

Mel- Good luck in your Hampster Wheel.  If you can I would love to see a picture of that!!!  Nice endurance workout yesterday too!! 
2011-02-07 9:30 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
oops, double post.  Post padding

2011-02-07 10:12 AM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Great to hear all the updates. Still working out the kinks of group riding, only 1 other rider showed this week and all he did was draft for about 2 miles, then sprint ahead, wait for me to catch up, draft for 2, then sprint away again. Realy not what I was hoping for. Sunday was a first, I took my boys with on my run. I thought I could keep up with them while they rode their bikes, I was WRONG! My recovery run turned into a 5K sprint. But, they had fun and pushed me to run hard, so overall it was a good workout. Getting ready for my first duathlon on Sunday, will be switching to the elastic laces and practicing my transitions this week.
2011-02-07 5:22 PM
in reply to: #3341678

User image

Veteran
cbarnes1 - 2011-02-06 12:07 PM Just a quick update on the way to the shower. 3:14:51 REQUALIFIED! More detailed later. Thx for the support. Congrats to all the racers today

Awesome foot work Chet! Bet is feels great to requal. Great job to your wife too.
David, excellet time for the first Tri. You should be Working out some kinks about now and reflecting on what what worked well and what didn't.

Chet, that's a good one for feed back...logs. I know I thought it was kind of stupid at first when I read about keeping a journal portion on my training logs but after a while it became important. I look back and review especially when doing the same race but a different year. It helps with the questions, "What worked well, What didn't work? ..."
2011-02-07 7:59 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
I agree Jeff.  I paid a coach last year when I first qualified for Boston but all the logs were on his sight.  When I stopped paying, I lost the logs.  It would have helped me a lot to refer to them this training cycle.  I will be better about logging now.  

I did a race report on Surf City if you guys are interested.  It is in the "Race Reports" forum under Surf City.  I always refer to the sites race reports before i do a race so I try to give back.  They can be VERY helpful from everything to course to parking to beer gardens!

One more day off before I try to spin the legs.  Really sore today, massage tomorrow, beer tonight  
2011-02-08 4:41 AM

User image

Amsterdam
Hey guys,

I spent 2 hours in the giant "hamster wheel" yesterday.   Besides getting a nice workout, I spent half the time chatting with Dutch ultrarunner and cancer fundraiser Richard Bottram, which was interesting.   The Wheel is more social than the average treadmill..    :-)

For those who requested it, here's a photo:

Hamster wheel!

Have a nice week!

Mel
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chet's Group is out doing it!- Closed Rss Feed  

of 28