BT Development Mentor Program Archives » shmeeg's Winter Madness Mentor group - OPEN TO HIPPIES Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2011-02-19 11:54 PM
in reply to: #3363222

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Subject: RE: shmeeg's Winter Madness Mentor group - OPEN TO HIPPIES
shmeeg - 2011-02-19 12:42 PM
brick94513 - 2011-02-18 8:29 PM
shmeeg - 2011-02-17 8:11 PM

Might try to get a long ride on the bike in.  Got a fit checkup on the TT bike Saturday.  Gonna look for some new trail shoes Sunday at Roadrunner Sports.

Check out the Adidas Supernova Riots.  There a little on the heavy side, but super stable in my opinion.  I pretty much do all my training in these shoes now, road and trail.
Will do. I've been eyeing those for some time now on runningwarehouse.com. I've got a laundry list of styles to try on.

Scratch that, I was looking at the Adizero XT.  Either way, I'll try some on.

2011-02-20 11:09 AM
in reply to: #3363645

Tyler, Texas
Bike leg was 10 miles.  No peanut butter, just stuck to my regular nutrition with 1 exception.  The race started at 10:00 so I had breakfast at 7:00 thinking I'd be safe.  I do all my training after 5:00PM so the calorie heavy meal may have messed me up, even 3 hours out.  I had Blueberry Morning cereal with a handful of almonds and walnuts thrown in and a handful of rolled oats uncooked with a banana, and a good dose of buterflies.  I drank my usual mix of Gatorade and CarbBoom diluted down, don't like it full strength. 

Something else is that up until Race day, my training has been in temps from 18 degrees to 45 degrees, avg probably around 32 degrees.   Race day was 67-70 degrees and at the end I felt like I was overheating.  Not used to the warmer temps yet I suppose, especially at that exertion level! 
2011-02-20 6:27 PM
in reply to: #3363639

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Mtb63 - 2011-02-19 9:35 PM
T1 was 40 secs, T2 was 46 secs, transitions went well. 

Excellent.  You came a long way here.  Now you can appreciate the importance of a speedy transition.  I'm always amazed that people will just free give away time while they fiddle with thing in transition.  Just today, I watched a guy sit on the ground, take off his socks, dry his feet with a towel, put on new socks, and then finally don his running shoes. 

Also, halfway through the bike portion, my stomach felt like it wasn't taking hydration well.  I drank what I could, but didn't want to force it and hurl.  

I would suspect that the culprit was the solid food (PB), not the water. For a short race like this where you are likely be near or above your lactate threshold, your body can not easily digest solid food.  Blood is diverted away from the GI system preventing gastric emptying.  I don't start to introduce solids into my nutrition until my races start to push 6+ hours.  But, even then, I have to really lower my HR before I attempt to eat.  Here's a little rule of thumb I go by:

Less than 3 hours: Carbohydrate solution in water (complex carb commercially available) and gel.
Over 3 hours, but less than 6 hours: Electrolyte solution in water, liquid food (liquid protein, carb, and fat solution mixed in water), and gel.
Over 6 hours (this gets tricky to personal preference): Electrolyte solution, Liquid food solution, and mixture of solids (cashews, dried fruit, bananas, ham and cheese sandwichs, chicken, bars).

Nutrition is tricky to dial in and takes practice.  The main rule is never, never try anything on race day that you haven't used in practice.

Hope that helps....
2011-02-21 10:41 PM
in reply to: #3257098

Tyler, Texas
Yes they do, thanks.  I still have difficulty dialing in everything on event day.  Sometimes rest, nutrition, lack of mental presence or other things can sabotage my plans.  I'm getting better at identifying these things, but nothing substitutes for experience. 

I saw a couple of fiddlers in the TA too!  Blows my mind.
2011-02-22 9:42 PM
in reply to: #3366232

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Mtb63 - 2011-02-21 8:41 PM
I'm getting better at identifying these things, but nothing substitutes for experience. 

Most definately.  I learn something from every race.  Trial-and-error for sure!
2011-02-23 8:05 AM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Where is everyone?  I'm lonely here!Cry

2011-02-23 11:14 PM

Tyler, Texas
Been busy, work's been intense lately and I've had to miss some workouts.  Hopefully next week will taper off.  How many events per month do you participate in?  I try to do at least 1 of something.  Having a monthly goal is great motivation for me.
2011-02-24 8:16 AM
in reply to: #3369778

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Mtb63 - 2011-02-23 9:14 PM Been busy, work's been intense lately and I've had to miss some workouts.  Hopefully next week will taper off.  How many events per month do you participate in?  I try to do at least 1 of something.  Having a monthly goal is great motivation for me.

Through the summer months, I probably average about two a month.  Obviously, these are not all "A" races for which I'll taper.  I like to use these other "B" races as a form of training.  Sure, it costs more than just going out and trainig, but it is a whole lot more fun.  I usually have December and January off from races.

When is your next race?  Any XTERRAs planned?  The XTERRA SouthWest Championship is in Waco, TX.   The Championship races are usually better venues to attend.

Edited by brick94513 2011-02-24 8:19 AM
2011-02-24 9:23 AM
in reply to: #3368262

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
brick94513 - 2011-02-23 6:05 AMWhere is everyone?  I'm lonely here!Cry
Sorry I haven't been around guys. I'm doing some field training so I only have my phone to get online and don't have mucch time to get on here. Tim, you'll have to carry the torch!
2011-02-25 7:22 PM

Tyler, Texas
No races for a few months.  Next up is a 100K road tour in late March, right here in Tyler.  I've never done XTerra before.  Looks like there are some Austin and Waco races April 3, nothing close.  So, XTerra is basically an off-road triathlon?
2011-02-26 10:41 PM
in reply to: #3373149

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Mtb63 - 2011-02-25 5:22 PM No races for a few months.  Next up is a 100K road tour in late March, right here in Tyler.  I've never done XTerra before.  Looks like there are some Austin and Waco races April 3, nothing close.  So, XTerra is basically an off-road triathlon?

Nice... the road tour should be fun.  The century Jay and I did early in the month was pretty neat.  For both of us, it was are first introduction to peleton riding.  It is pretty amazing how much faster you can ride at a lower effort in a group!

Yes, XTERRA is an off-road triathlon series.  Most venues offer two distances: sprint and olympic.  However, to accumulate points to qualify for Nationals and Worlds, you have to be competing at the olympic distance.  For me, I enjoy these races quite a bit more than traditional triathlons.  I find the races much more low-key, diverse, and challenging.

2011-03-02 10:01 PM

Tyler, Texas
Most of the smaller rides I do have  few pelotons, if any.  Last year I did a ride near Dallas and like you guys, had a taste of "the peloton".  Way cool to grab onto one as it goes flying by. 

I'm looking forward to the time change.  I can only ride 15-20 miles after work before dark.  I have lights and reflective gear but my wife doesn't like me riding on the tollroad highway at night.
2011-03-04 11:35 AM
in reply to: #3380291

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA

Mtb63 - 2011-03-02 8:01 PM Most of the smaller rides I do have  few pelotons, if any.  Last year I did a ride near Dallas and like you guys, had a taste of "the peloton".  Way cool to grab onto one as it goes flying by. 

I'm looking forward to the time change.  I can only ride 15-20 miles after work before dark.  I have lights and reflective gear but my wife doesn't like me riding on the tollroad highway at night.

Yeah, I'm not much for riding on the roads at night.  Drivers are distracted to begin with in the middle of the day.  No need to increase your chances of a poor outcome.

2011-03-05 1:00 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Jesus, where'd everyone go? I've got a couple more weeks in the field.  Been doing bodyweight CF WODs. Killer.
2011-03-06 11:48 AM
in reply to: #3384035

User image

Woodbridge

Hey Guys!

Sorry I've been gone for so long! School started and I've had a difficult time balancing everything all at once. Then it all unravelled when I got the flu for two weeks straight in bed. Of course, in the middle of the smester, so I've been playing cath up on my studies. I fealt totally out of it!

It's now mid-terms and I'm very excited to not be overwhelmed anymore and restarting back into my work out routine. Walk/jog everyday, swim once a week, and bike twice a week. I scheduled myself too tightly before, and became wacko and stressed trying to get everything done-now, I will do what I think is realistic, and if get extra workout count it as a bonus!

Of  course now, I've had pink twice in two kiddos, and one now has strep....lets say I'm at Costco quite a bit stocking up on bleach wipes!

Irt's been intresting catching up on the form! Hope everyone is doing well!! I love the fact I can finally be outside again!!!

2011-03-06 12:11 PM
in reply to: #3384035

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA

shmeeg - 2011-03-05 11:00 AM Jesus, where'd everyone go? I've got a couple more weeks in the field.  Been doing bodyweight CF WODs. Killer.

... and why is it that the Crossfit WODs are all named after women?  Is it to make you feel less manly when you get your butt handed to you after the workout?  Embarassed

2011-03-08 7:42 AM

Is your metor program still open? If so, I'm just getting into tri's (2 scheduled June and Aug) and I'm looking to talk with people who have experience. Thanks.

2011-03-08 8:26 AM
in reply to: #3387794

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
scottieV23 - 2011-03-08 5:42 AM

Is your metor program still open? If so, I'm just getting into tri's (2 scheduled June and Aug) and I'm looking to talk with people who have experience. Thanks.

Hey there!  Jay, the mentor, is absent on some field training exercises at present.  I'm helping out in his absence.  I don't think he would have a problem with you jumping in and joining of us since there are only of few of us still around.

So, if you're still interested, just tell us about yourself and want you want to achieve for the year.  There is a template for the introduction on the first page of this forum.  You can just cut, paste, and fill in the blanks.

Tim

2011-03-08 6:03 PM
in reply to: #3387884

Hey Tim and thanks for the invite. This is my first year of training for a triathlon. I've run a few races in the past but competitive biking and swimming are pretty new to me.  I'm scheduled for two races so far. The first being a sprint in June and the second being an olympic in August. I wouldn't mind squeezing a third in if the opportunity comes about. 

As far as training goes, I'm in pretty decent shape as I lift five days a week and run at least two. Over the past three weeks I've started to incorporate biking and swimming into my routines. I'm struggling with proper swimming technique as I've never been properly taught. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated. Also, I recently downloaded an 11 week olympic length beginner plan that I plan on starting in later April.

My overall goal for both races is to compete. I don't want to simply "get through" the race. More specifically in my first race I want to get accustomed to transitioning that way I'll know what to expect and be more prepared for the second.

Thanks again for the invite.

Scott

2011-03-08 9:13 PM
in reply to: #3389139

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA

Scott...  Good information.  It seems that you have made some realistic goals for yourself.  Now, lets get a little more specific!

Realistically, how much time do you think you can train each week?  Do you have any swim experience?  How much cycling experience do you have?  These will all play a factor in how you train for these races.  Just from what you have told us so far, I would suspect that you need to weight your swim training in whatever plan you choose.

As to swimming, don't fret.  This is normally where most people struggle.  Are you able to swim the distance of your sprint race already.  If not, how far can you swim without stopping?  How many yards are you swimming in each session?  Can you breath bilaterally?  Can you site breath?

Usually, it is best to start your swim sessions small (to avoid fatigue) and drill focused (learn correct form).  As you start feeling more comfortable in the water, then you should build in distance and start to incorporate endurace sets.  Here are some Internet sites I like:

www.swimsmooth.com

http://www.enjoy-swimming.com/

http://ntcmastersswim.blogspot.com/

I'm sure this will lead to more questions.  Don't hesitate to ask. 

2011-03-08 9:18 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA

Oh, by the way Scott, it helps if you log your training.  Not only does it provide tangible feedback for you, but it helps us give you input as to your training.

One more thing, where are you located?

2011-03-09 8:36 AM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA

Just remembered this article series posted right here on BT.  This is a 5 month program with heavy focus on drills.  This should give you a good idea of the drills used to reinforce correct front crawl (freestyle) form.  You can also find video examples of each drill on Youtube.

Here you go:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1945

2011-03-09 4:55 PM
in reply to: #3389414

Tim thanks for the great feedback. I'm located in Northeastern Pennsylvania.

As far as time for training goes, my schedule is pretty flexible and allows for quite a bit of time for good training sessions. I don't have any competitive or coached swimming experience. I'll just be getting into it. I could currently swim 800yds without stopping. My last workout consisted of 3 sets of 600yds each set. I do breathe bilaterally. Not sure what you mean by site breathe.

Again, I don't have any competitive or coached cycling experience. I did however get in with a crew of guys where I bought my bike that do 25-30 mile rides every saturday morning that I plan on participating in.  Additionally I plan on doing a shorter ride (around 15 miles) another day during the week.

I didn't get a chance to look at those sites you've given me yet but plan on doing some research tonight. I'll post question as they come up.

By the way, I'll put in my last few workouts and continue to put new one's in as I do them. Additionally I weight train on a 2 on 2 off schedule. My weight training sessions are high tempo and include a lot of supersetting. One more thing, we're still in the midst of winter and have been getting pounded with snow so I won't be able to really get after the cycling for at least another 2-3 weeks.

Thanks again Tim.

Scott

2011-03-09 5:46 PM
in reply to: #3390858

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
scottieV23 - 2011-03-09 2:55 PM

I could currently swim 800yds without stopping. My last workout consisted of 3 sets of 600yds each set. I do breathe bilaterally. Not sure what you mean by site breathe.

OK.  This is good.  You have a good base if you can bilateral breath and swim 3 x 600.  As such, you will probably want to structure you workout with a warm up, drill set, main set, and warm down.

Site breathing is a technique you will need to learn to navigate in open water.  This technique incorporates breathing while lifting your head out the front to see where you are going.  Basically, as the hand in recovery passes your ear, you lift your head as the other hand pulls.  You use this time to take a quick glance for your landmarks then turn your head to the side and re-enter the water.  In the open water, I usually site breath about every 9th stroke.

I did however get in with a crew of guys where I bought my bike that do 25-30 mile rides every saturday morning that I plan on participating in.  Additionally I plan on doing a shorter ride (around 15 miles) another day during the week.

Group rides are good for motivation and enjoyment, but remember drafting is not allowed in triathlons.  It is much easier to ride faster and farther in a peleton.  I recently did a century ride where I was amazed at the speeds I could travel with minimal effort!  Don't take this the wrong way.  There is nothing wrong with group riding; just be prepared to do it alone on race day!

Similar to the run, I like to break my cycling workouts into three main categories: speedwork, distance, and recovery.  Speedwork might take the form of hills, large chainring work, or anaerobic efforts.  Distance, as the name implies, will be my long ride for the week at an easy pace.  Recovery rides as just aerobic paced rides for building mileage. Also, if doing a brick (bike-run), I'll do these on the days where I have a recovery ride planed.

One more thing, we're still in the midst of winter and have been getting pounded with snow so I won't be able to really get after the cycling for at least another 2-3 weeks.

Not sure how much you want to invest, but a trainer works good for the inclimate weather.  It can be monotonous, but its better than nothing.  I find it easier to do speedwork on the trainer and usually ride for no longer than 2 hours.  If interested, I would recommend the CycloOps Trainer.

One more thing, are you wearing a HR monitor when on the bike or run?

2011-03-11 10:55 PM
in reply to: #3384951

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
LAH - 2011-03-06 9:48 AM

Walk/jog everyday, swim once a week, and bike twice a week. I scheduled myself too tightly before, and became wacko and stressed trying to get everything done-now, I will do what I think is realistic, and if get extra workout count it as a bonus!

I hear ya!  I have three boys.  I'm constantly juggling my workouts around their school, swimming, and baseball.  Oh, and lets not forget about work and my wife.... My advice: be realistic in your goals, strive to accomplish those goals, and anything extra is a bonus.

Remember this is suppose to be fun! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » shmeeg's Winter Madness Mentor group - OPEN TO HIPPIES Rss Feed  

of 21