BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Allison and Ryan's Beginner Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2011-05-18 4:00 PM
in reply to: #3276373

Lexington OH
Subject: RE: Allison and Ryan's Beginner Mentor Group - FULL

Been struggling with a low-grade fever off an on for over a week now.  Definitely out of sorts with respect to training and I found out I need to go into the office (I work remotely - office is 50 minutes away) tomorrow for some late running meetings.  Sun is finally supposed to be here Friday, but sure the spousal unit will want some time on the motorcycle.  Looks like I'm packing a lot in on Saturday (swim/bike/run all in one day - a little mini tri...)  oh well, at least I'm not totally discouraged.

Sounds like most are attacking their plans and getting close to their races.  My ride is still quite a ways away, but I am now signed up for a 5k a week from Saturday (never done one... most I've done running at one time was 2 miles.. )   Should be interesting.  My Tour-De-Cure is coming up on June 11th, and then another 5k in August.  By the end of July, I'll know if I'll attempt a sprint tri on top of my cycling training for my big ride in October.

2011-05-18 10:47 PM

User image

Regular
London, AR
Hey everyone, just wanted to pop in and give you my status. Doctor diagnosed me with Pneumonia and now i'm on a pile of meds Frown So I was ordered to stay off the cardio for a few until my lungs open up better. I did manage to feel up to a yoga session tonight and I hope to hit the road for a bike and run on Saturday if my progress keeps going at the rate it is. Good luck to those training still and I look forward to joining you again on Saturday!
2011-05-19 5:57 AM

User image

Coastal Carolina

Ok here we go...  Got the bike as cleaned up as I could without having to do major tweaking (discovered the chain is silver and not black...  While using up most of the chain cleaner at my Dept.), off today to the race site hopefully I will get there early enough to get an OWS swim in.  Unfortunately I had some things pop up so I missed a few workouts but that's the way it goes sometimes.

I'll post race report afterwards c'mon sub 1:20.  Have a great week and weekend y'all

2011-05-19 6:18 AM

Extreme Veteran

Good luck on the race! Based on what I've been seeing you're going to do awesome (even though I'm slightly jealous Tongue out)!

Looking forward to the race report.

2011-05-19 6:39 AM
in reply to: #3506191

User image

Regular
Davenport, Iowa
Enjoyed your post about the missed swim.  Life does like to get in the way of training.
2011-05-19 6:42 AM
in reply to: #3507309

User image

Regular
Davenport, Iowa

Hope you get well soon.  So hard to be sick when wanting to train.

2011-05-19 6:44 AM
in reply to: #3507434

User image

Regular
Davenport, Iowa
Good Luck on your race. Have fun!!!
2011-05-19 8:50 AM

User image

Regular
London, AR
Good luck on your race Tripopo, look forward to hearing all about it!
2011-05-19 3:37 PM
in reply to: #3507309

St. Paul

huntnjerm - 2011-05-18 10:47 PM Hey everyone, just wanted to pop in and give you my status. Doctor diagnosed me with Pneumonia and now i'm on a pile of meds Frown So I was ordered to stay off the cardio for a few until my lungs open up better. I did manage to feel up to a yoga session tonight and I hope to hit the road for a bike and run on Saturday if my progress keeps going at the rate it is. Good luck to those training still and I look forward to joining you again on Saturday!

huntjerm - that is such a drag. I've had pneumonia and the good news is - I think it responds really quickly to treatment (not like colds that seem to drag on forever) - but it hurts your lungs alot. So take it easy, kay? You must have strong lungs though - when I had it the worst was just trying to do deep breathing, so if you can do yoga, you must be in good shape!

2011-05-19 3:39 PM
in reply to: #3507434

St. Paul
Tripopo - 2011-05-19 5:57 AM

Ok here we go...  Got the bike as cleaned up as I could without having to do major tweaking (discovered the chain is silver and not black...  While using up most of the chain cleaner at my Dept.), off today to the race site hopefully I will get there early enough to get an OWS swim in.  Unfortunately I had some things pop up so I missed a few workouts but that's the way it goes sometimes.

I'll post race report afterwards c'mon sub 1:20.  Have a great week and weekend y'all

Yeah tripopo - i can feel my own jitters just imaging race day. I know you will do great - and we are all there cheering you on!!! Good luck and bon courage.

Mary

2011-05-19 3:40 PM
in reply to: #3506249

St. Paul

wushnut - yantz, yes. if i could spell i supposed i would go far in life

thanks for the advice about the ice. i think it's helping. i've a bum knee, so this happens alot - but icing it seems like a really good idea.

mary

2011-05-19 5:57 PM
in reply to: #3508710

User image

Regular
Davenport, Iowa

Do you know what is wrong with your knee?  I thought I would have to limit my runs to about 6 miles because my knee often bothered me.  Than I went to my regular doctor (who is a runner)  and he told me exercises to do and now it is better.  He totally encouraged me to work though the issue and keep on running.  I love having a doctor who is a runner.  Definitely helps.

I just wonder if there is something you can do so your knee doesn't bother you.

2011-05-19 6:58 PM

User image

Regular
Davenport, Iowa

Running question.

I know you are only supposed to increase your running distance by 10 percent or a mile each week, but what if you ran the distance before but haven't in awhile.

Last year at this time the most I had run was 4 miles, so distance running is new to me.  This spring I did a training schedule for a ten mile run.  I ran 2 ten mile races on April 3 and April 10.  Since then I have been running but not that distance.  My long runs have been 5 to 6 miles and a 7 mile run  last sunday.  So can I run a 10 mile run this weekend or would that not be smart.  I know I CAN run 10 miles this weekend, but my question is should I?

2011-05-19 7:03 PM
in reply to: #3508888

St. Paul
JeannieW - 2011-05-19 5:57 PM

Do you know what is wrong with your knee?  I thought I would have to limit my runs to about 6 miles because my knee often bothered me.  Than I went to my regular doctor (who is a runner)  and he told me exercises to do and now it is better.  He totally encouraged me to work though the issue and keep on running.  I love having a doctor who is a runner.  Definitely helps.

I just wonder if there is something you can do so your knee doesn't bother you.

Jeannie - I tore the cartilage in that knee about 35 years ago. It's always been a bit of trouble. But when I started my training I was super careful to go really slow on the running part. I think the flare up came because I just went too fast. But maybe u should check with my doc. Thanks for the advice.
2011-05-19 7:08 PM

Extreme Veteran

Hey Mary,

Have you ever had your stride looked at or done a gait analysis?  I used to get knee injuries all the time but then started to look at my stride pretty carefully.  My biggest problem was that I was over striding.  I've since shortened my stride and focus on landing beneath my center of gravity.  So far my knee has been holding up.  Not saying that is the culprit but it might be worth having your stride and shoes examined.

Keye

2011-05-19 8:30 PM

User image

New user
NW Indiana
Had a good bike ride. 14.5 miles @ 15.8 mph. A little off pace but I had my son with and his fixie will only go so fast for that long. Hopped off and did a quick 1 mile run. no pain!!! It's so good to be running again. Just need to slowly build back up my distance. Oh yeah.....did my first 750 meter swim straight through yesterday....gonna try it again tomorrow morning to make sure it wasnt a flukeTongue out

2011-05-19 9:29 PM
in reply to: #3508949

User image

Regular
London, AR
JeannieW - 2011-05-19 6:58 PM

Running question.

I know you are only supposed to increase your running distance by 10 percent or a mile each week, but what if you ran the distance before but haven't in awhile.

Last year at this time the most I had run was 4 miles, so distance running is new to me.  This spring I did a training schedule for a ten mile run.  I ran 2 ten mile races on April 3 and April 10.  Since then I have been running but not that distance.  My long runs have been 5 to 6 miles and a 7 mile run  last sunday.  So can I run a 10 mile run this weekend or would that not be smart.  I know I CAN run 10 miles this weekend, but my question is should I?

Jeannie, I would say go for it, 3 miles isn't to bad and you have been increasing weekly. I have skipped by 3 before and just slowed my pace a bit in anticipation that I might hit a wall, but in the end I was ok. Typically though I increase 1 mile a week up to 10 then I will increase by 2 after 10 and of course I do have rest weeks periodically in which my long run will drop anywhere from 4 to 6 miles below my previous weeks distance. I think you will be ok, you know your body and your limits, if something doesn't feel right, don't feel bad about cutting it short a mile. It's a lot better than overdoing it and causing an injury. Good Luck

My Athlete friends, good news. My lungs are feeling better as I am getting more and more deep breaths in without much pain or cough. I am shooting for Saturday to step back into training. Fingers Crossed!

2011-05-19 9:50 PM
in reply to: #3509143

User image

Regular
Davenport, Iowa
Thanks.  I will try it.   Glad you are starting to feel better.
2011-05-20 7:18 AM

User image

Regular
London, AR
Well got up early and got my normal Friday Strength training in. It was doable though still not 100% better just yet from Pneumonia but tomorrow I will know as I will run and bike if my lungs will allow me. Good luck training everyone and GOOD LUCK TRIPOPO!!! We know you will do great!
2011-05-20 8:10 AM
in reply to: #3508967

St. Paul

I'm wondering Jeannie if you could let me know what type of exercises you do to strengthen your knee. My doc doesn't really do much around that sort of thing...

And Keye - where do you go to get a gait analysis?

I did ride my bike this morning - and it feels good to move again. I was getting just a little crabby not exercising (after only 2 days off - I think it was a total psychological thing). It was my theory that the problem might be running on pavement.

Thanks for the ideas!

Mary

2011-05-20 8:18 AM
in reply to: #3509447

St. Paul

huntnjerm - 2011-05-20 7:18 AM Well got up early and got my normal Friday Strength training in. It was doable though still not 100% better just yet from Pneumonia but tomorrow I will know as I will run and bike if my lungs will allow me. Good luck training everyone and GOOD LUCK TRIPOPO!!! We know you will do great!

Jeremy - really glad to hear your lungs are better!

2011-05-20 10:29 AM

User image

New user
NW Indiana

Good luck on your race Tripopo....hope everyone has a great weekend training.

Dan

Edited by SFD156 2011-05-20 10:29 AM
2011-05-20 1:33 PM

Extreme Veteran

Mary - Our local running store will do one but they can vary in level of analysis.  I think for the real, full-on gait analysis you can go to a local college or ask your doctor for a reference to get it done. 

I just used the running store as I was getting fitted for shoes.  Cannot emphasize how much proper shoes and better running technique has helped me.  Instead of injuries my only limiting factor is my endurance and lack of base (which I'm building!).

2011-05-20 1:39 PM

Extreme Veteran

Did a 12/2 brick yesterday.  Was originally going to go out to participate in our local cycling clubs time trials.  It was supposed to be a 10mile TT but I got there late and I've never ridden with them before.  They had already started by the time I got there.  Ended up doing my only little trial.  Average about 20mph (again!) over 12miles.  Jumped off the bike and did a 2mile run right after.  Feeling stronger on my runs but still slow.

Did 1450 yards for my lunch time swim today.  Started out with a 200 yard warm-up.  Then went into do a 3x500 work-out.  First 500 hundred I came in at about 9:30.  Second 500 turned into a 600 because I miscounted.  Only got 250yards into my last 500 as my foot started to cramp and wouldn't stop.  I decided to call it a day at that point. 

Looking to do another run later today after work.  Hopefully a long ride on Saturday.  Whew! My inner couch potato is in the corner curled up in the fetal position and weeping.

2011-05-20 3:49 PM
in reply to: #3510258

User image

New user
NW Indiana
wushunut - 2011-05-20 1:39 PM

Did a 12/2 brick yesterday.  Was originally going to go out to participate in our local cycling clubs time trials.  It was supposed to be a 10mile TT but I got there late and I've never ridden with them before.  They had already started by the time I got there.  Ended up doing my only little trial.  Average about 20mph (again!) over 12miles.  Jumped off the bike and did a 2mile run right after.  Feeling stronger on my runs but still slow.

Did 1450 yards for my lunch time swim today.  Started out with a 200 yard warm-up.  Then went into do a 3x500 work-out.  First 500 hundred I came in at about 9:30.  Second 500 turned into a 600 because I miscounted.  Only got 250yards into my last 500 as my foot started to cramp and wouldn't stop.  I decided to call it a day at that point. 

Looking to do another run later today after work.  Hopefully a long ride on Saturday.  Whew! My inner couch potato is in the corner curled up in the fetal position and weeping.

You are an animal!!....LOL Laughing

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Allison and Ryan's Beginner Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 29