BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2013-03-15 8:51 AM
in reply to: #4571585

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Closed
I'm so looking forward to tomorrow's shamrock 8k in Virginia beach, with 23,000 runners in town for the weekend it's always fun and has a great atmosphere!

So I feel pretty good, which leads to feeling ambitious and to top it off I'm reading 'triathlon for every woman' which Mel was right, is so funny. I'd like to do an Olympic distance tri, and I'm looking at June 22 for TriRock Philadelphia, too ambitious? What do you think? I'd also like to consider a crazy goal of a 70.3 race, there's the rev 3 at end of sept....that might be really pushing it, should I aim for next spring?

Lol maybe I should wait till I get through next weekends half marathon....

Happy st pattys day to all! SHAMROCK ON!

Edited by Ybeal 2013-03-15 8:52 AM

2013-03-15 4:50 PM
in reply to: #4660836

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Ybeal - 2013-03-15 8:51 AM I'm so looking forward to tomorrow's shamrock 8k in Virginia beach, with 23,000 runners in town for the weekend it's always fun and has a great atmosphere!

So I feel pretty good, which leads to feeling ambitious and to top it off I'm reading 'triathlon for every woman' which Mel was right, is so funny. I'd like to do an Olympic distance tri, and I'm looking at June 22 for TriRock Philadelphia, too ambitious? What do you think? I'd also like to consider a crazy goal of a 70.3 race, there's the rev 3 at end of sept....that might be really pushing it, should I aim for next spring?

Sounds like you are going to have a great time tomorrow Yvonne!   we will of course be expecting all the details.  enjoy! 

2013-03-15 7:41 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Ybeal - 2013-03-15 8:51 AM

I'm so looking forward to tomorrow's shamrock 8k in Virginia beach, with 23,000 runners in town for the weekend it's always fun and has a great atmosphere!

Have fun tomorrow!

If you are comfortable with the distances, an Olympic in June is very doable. If you can get the training time in, a 70.3 in six months is definitely possible. It is a whole different race than an Olympic though. Requires lots of time in the saddle training.
2013-03-16 1:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Ybeal - 2013-03-15 9:51 AM I'm so looking forward to tomorrow's shamrock 8k in Virginia beach, with 23,000 runners in town for the weekend it's always fun and has a great atmosphere!

Can't wait to hear how you rocked it!

2013-03-16 10:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Holy smokes, my last post in this thread was 10 days ago...

I've been out of town all week, got back last night.  Wasn't able to bike, but I was able to get in some swimming and running, including some with about 80 lbs of gear on on Thursday thanks to which my legs and back are still a little sore...

Things should slow down a little bit now, and I should be able to get some normal schedule going again.  So I've got three weeks to train hard then one week of taper before my 4/14 race.  Feeling good.

Jax, great to hear about your awesome race!  Great work!

Bill, really sorry to hear about your issues.  I hope you get some better news soon.

Ybeal, come on already, make with the great race report!

2013-03-16 11:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

If you've got 23 minutes and nothing to do, I highly recommend the following youtube Ironman Lake Placid video, very inspirational: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83jwhf9NjoA

2013-03-17 8:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Happy st. Patrick's day!Well, the 8 k is done, and I beat my time from last year, barely, by like 30 seconds. The good news is the event was lots of fun, good energy, tons of people. My girls did the one mile and both did great. DH ran it with me, his first time. I really thought I could beat my time from last year by about 3-4 minutes and I pushed a little harder from the beginning, but I think it backfired on me. I struggled through the whole thing, ESP the last mile, where I felt pretty dizzy.

Then all day yesterday I felt like crap, I was a total idiot and didn't eat right after the event since we were rushing to get the kids to their event and as a mom, racing with the whole family is hard as you're trying to think of everyone's needs in addition to your own.

So can one of you awesome runners help me avoid that this weekend? I need a nutrition plan for leading up to the half this Sunday. I do tend to eat a somewhat low carb diet and I guess that's not cutting it. The thought of that happening again during the half is not comforting. Help!

My training thoughts for this week are nothing today as I have to work, 3 miles tomorrow, swim/bike on Tuesday, 3 miles on Wednesday, easy bike Thursday, maybe 30 min swim Friday. Race sunday. If anyone wants to advise on that I'd welcome it! Thanks!

Edited by Ybeal 2013-03-17 8:13 AM

2013-03-17 10:14 AM
in reply to: #4662993

User image

Master
St. Louis
Ybeal - 2013-03-17 8:10 AM

Happy st. Patrick's day!Well, the 8 k is done, and I beat my time from last year, barely, by like 30 seconds. The good news is the event was lots of fun, good energy, tons of people. My girls did the one mile and both did great. DH ran it with me, his first time. I really thought I could beat my time from last year by about 3-4 minutes and I pushed a little harder from the beginning, but I think it backfired on me. I struggled through the whole thing, ESP the last mile, where I felt pretty dizzy.

Then all day yesterday I felt like crap, I was a total idiot and didn't eat right after the event since we were rushing to get the kids to their event and as a mom, racing with the whole family is hard as you're trying to think of everyone's needs in addition to your own.

So can one of you awesome runners help me avoid that this weekend? I need a nutrition plan for leading up to the half this Sunday. I do tend to eat a somewhat low carb diet and I guess that's not cutting it. The thought of that happening again during the half is not comforting. Help!

My training thoughts for this week are nothing today as I have to work, 3 miles tomorrow, swim/bike on Tuesday, 3 miles on Wednesday, easy bike Thursday, maybe 30 min swim Friday. Race sunday. If anyone wants to advise on that I'd welcome it! Thanks!

Congrats on beating your time from last year!

What do you normally eat for breakfast. What do you plan to wat during the half marathon?
2013-03-17 2:57 PM
in reply to: #4663065

User image

Veteran
ransick - 2013-03-17 11:14 AM
Ybeal - 2013-03-17 8:10 AM Happy st. Patrick's day!Well, the 8 k is done, and I beat my time from last year, barely, by like 30 seconds. The good news is the event was lots of fun, good energy, tons of people. My girls did the one mile and both did great. DH ran it with me, his first time. I really thought I could beat my time from last year by about 3-4 minutes and I pushed a little harder from the beginning, but I think it backfired on me. I struggled through the whole thing, ESP the last mile, where I felt pretty dizzy.

Congrats on beating your time from last year! What do you normally eat for breakfast. What do you plan to wat during the half marathon?

Normally, for long runs I usually get up, have coffee with natural bliss creamer, about an hour later I would eat an egg sandwich (small bagel, piece of cheese, one egg- usually around 250-300 calories total) and a glass of water, approx. 1 hour before running.  On my last 10 mile run,  I carried two 6 oz. bottles of gatorade, which I finished by the end, and had one gel.  I plan on having two gels during my 1/2, and drinking some water at the aid stations I pass.  I may not be the fastest runner (total understatement) but I sweat a LOT, my face is very gritty at the end of long runs and you can actually see the salt on my skin.

Edited by Ybeal 2013-03-17 3:01 PM
2013-03-17 3:46 PM
in reply to: #4663272

User image

Master
St. Louis
Ybeal - 2013-03-17 2:57 PM

ransick - 2013-03-17 11:14 AM
Ybeal - 2013-03-17 8:10 AM Happy st. Patrick's day!Well, the 8 k is done, and I beat my time from last year, barely, by like 30 seconds. The good news is the event was lots of fun, good energy, tons of people. My girls did the one mile and both did great. DH ran it with me, his first time. I really thought I could beat my time from last year by about 3-4 minutes and I pushed a little harder from the beginning, but I think it backfired on me. I struggled through the whole thing, ESP the last mile, where I felt pretty dizzy.

Congrats on beating your time from last year! What do you normally eat for breakfast. What do you plan to wat during the half marathon?

Normally, for long runs I usually get up, have coffee with natural bliss creamer, about an hour later I would eat an egg sandwich (small bagel, piece of cheese, one egg- usually around 250-300 calories total) and a glass of water, approx. 1 hour before running.  On my last 10 mile run,  I carried two 6 oz. bottles of gatorade, which I finished by the end, and had one gel.  I plan on having two gels during my 1/2, and drinking some water at the aid stations I pass.  I may not be the fastest runner (total understatement) but I sweat a LOT, my face is very gritty at the end of long runs and you can actually see the salt on my skin.

That sounds like a good breakfast and good plan. The last couple races, I did I got up a couple hours early, ate breakfast and went back to bed. Saved me a few porta-potty trips. Then I had a GU 10 minutes before the race and one 4 or 5 miles in. I skipped my gel at mile 9-10 because I was working too hard for a PR to be able to stomach anything.
2013-03-17 3:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

Yvonne - I am really happy for you!! I know it was not exactly what you wanted, but you're getting there, and the experience of going out too fast and hurting at the end is going to stay in your memory bank, and really help you for the half. It's something everyone will advise you on (not going out too fast), but until you actually experience it, it's a tough lesson to learn.

I am not an awesome runner, but I have enough experience to give some advice. I think your schedule for the week is fine. You are not going to gain endurance or stamina this week, so the best you can do is rest, and do some shorter runs just to keep your legs loose.

As far as the nutrition. It is too late at this point to come up with a new nutrition plan for the race. The best thing for you to do is use the same nutrition plan you have used for training, as long as you had no problems with it. As long as your longest run went well (with stomach issues and energy) stick with what you ate the morning of that run. I drink coffee EVERY morning, and I don't cut back on race mornings. It would mess with my body. The salt on your skin is a good indication that you should be consuming electrolytes with your fluids, so I would go for the gatorade instead of water at the aid stations. If the conditions are similar (temperature/humidity) on race day as they were for your long run, plan on consuming the same amount of gatorade per hour. Don't be worried about walking through aid stations to make sure you get enough gatorade. You will lose very little time, it will provide a nice break, and you will make sure that you are getting enough fluids. As far as the energy gels, again, stick with what you know. Two should be plenty for the race. I often use aid stations as check points, especially if they are spaced one mile apart. My typical mantra on races like that is. "I can always go one more mile." Then I get to the next stop, refuel, and start one more mile! I'm really excited for you, and can't wait to read next week's race report!!

2013-03-18 5:05 AM

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia

Hi everyone,

Well, I'm back from my jaunt to Lake Tahoe and NYC. it was really nice of the weather man to dish up the best storm Tahoe had seen since December. I expected blue sky groomers, but I got loads of fresh deep powder to get stuck into. Was awesome fun. And whilst I didnt do any training while I was away I racked up almost seven hours of skiing every day. That was all my legs could handle.

While I was away I acquired quite a few additions to my triathlon stocks. New training sneakers, race sneakers, tri bag, goggles, tri-slide, running clothes, aero drink system etc... My wife has now made me promise to commit to the whole triathlon thing for at least two season to make my spending worth while...! My aero bars also arrived while I was away, so one of tomorrow's jobs will be to add them to the bike and try to get my setup looking OK.

I am sole parenting this week so my training will be limited, but I will get a couple of sessions in. Can't wait to go for a run (that's sad, I know).

I hope everyone's efforts are paying off (I know we've had a couple of set backs in the group). I think these challenges are a great part of the sport. They suck at the time, but they make you stronger, and they make the achievements worth even more! Stick with it everyone, the goods days will make the tough days totally worth it.

Good luck Yvonne with the half. I am really looking forward to hearing all the details. Get out there and smash it!

Now, back to my red wine...

2013-03-18 7:04 AM
in reply to: #4663884

User image

Veteran
cadnams - 2013-03-18 6:05 AMHi everyone,Well, I'm back from my jaunt to Lake Tahoe and NYC. it was really nice of the weather man to dish up the best storm Tahoe had seen since December. I expected blue sky groomers, but I got loads of fresh deep powder to get stuck into. Was awesome fun. And whilst I didnt do any training while I was away I racked up almost seven hours of skiing every day. That was all my legs could handle. While I was away I acquired quite a few additions to my triathlon stocks. New training sneakers, race sneakers, tri bag, goggles, tri-slide, running clothes, aero drink system etc... My wife has now made me promise to commit to the whole triathlon thing for at least two season to make my spending worth while...! My aero bars also arrived while I was away, so one of tomorrow's jobs will be to add them to the bike and try to get my setup looking OK.I am sole parenting this week so my training will be limited, but I will get a couple of sessions in. Can't wait to go for a run (that's sad, I know).I hope everyone's efforts are paying off (I know we've had a couple of set backs in the group). I think these challenges are a great part of the sport. They suck at the time, but they make you stronger, and they make the achievements worth even more! Stick with it everyone, the goods days will make the tough days totally worth it.Good luck Yvonne with the half. I am really looking forward to hearing all the details. Get out there and smash it!Now, back to my red wine...

Welcome back! Sounds like you had a blast!

Must say, I have a little 'gear envy' lots of new stuff, might have to get on that bandwagon!

Happy training this week!

2013-03-18 8:15 AM
in reply to: #4662898

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
jmholzman - 2013-03-16 11:27 PM

If you've got 23 minutes and nothing to do, I highly recommend the following youtube Ironman Lake Placid video, very inspirational: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83jwhf9NjoA

This was awesome!!!

2013-03-18 8:17 AM
in reply to: #4662993

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Ybeal - 2013-03-17 8:10 AM Happy st. Patrick's day!Well, the 8 k is done, and I beat my time from last year, barely, by like 30 seconds.

Thanks!

Congrats on beating your time!! Its always a little more on us when we have our families to take care of too- I bet your race next week will be even better!

2013-03-18 9:04 AM

User image

Veteran

Great job on the run, Yvonne and I know you'll have a great HM this weekend!  One other note on the nutrition...don't neglect yourselft AFTER the race too.  I find that can really impact how I feel the rest of the day after a super long run.  And for me, it's protein, protein, protein.  I always have a few eggs...and definitely a banana.  Good luck!!  Can't wait to hear how it goes.

Welcome back Chrispy!

2013-03-19 6:43 PM

User image

Veteran

Who needs a pep talk?!?

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-gQLqv9f4o

Love when he says, "I took the road less travelled and it hurt man!"

2013-03-19 7:26 PM
in reply to: #4666845

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Ybeal - 2013-03-19 4:43 PM

Who needs a pep talk?!?

Check this out:

Hah!  That's great.  "It's like that dude Journey said, 'Don't stop believing...unless your dream is stupid, then you should get a better dream.' I think that's how it goes."
2013-03-19 7:53 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Ybeal - 2013-03-19 6:43 PM

Who needs a pep talk?!?

Check this out:

Love it! Not cool Robert Frost :-)
2013-03-20 7:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Ybeal - 2013-03-19 7:43 PM

Who needs a pep talk?!?

Check this out:

LOVE!

2013-03-21 9:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

Ugh! I missed stat day, again! Sorry, my lack of a routine morning workout has completely messed up my schedule...and my mind.

Yvonne...Loved that video of Kid President. I have already watched it too many times.

OK, I'm on it. If you posted a training session for today it will be included in the totals.

2013-03-21 9:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

So I'v got my first 5K coming up this Saturday! I am super excited and nervous!!

There is a 70% chance of rain- I am really hoping the weather holds off for the race.

I really wanted to be at a 10 min per mile pace by this race but I am just not there...  unless the fact that I will be running in the morning (and I AM a morning person) instead of after work and maybe some adrenaline from the race give me a slight advantage.

My feet have been killing me but I am not going to think about that now- its just 5K- I am doing some research (bunions) and have quit wearing all cute shoes to work Tongue out

My 15 YO son will be racing with me. He is running 5:54 consistently in the 1600 in track so I am hoping he will do well.

The 10K part of this race is a qualifier for some bigger races and there are some very fast runners from Kenya that come in. 

I hope we get to run (the weather does not stop us) and hoping I do well- but most of all excited to finally meet this goal of doing a 5k- I set it several years ago and kept putting it off.

Also I will be exited to get this behind me so I can really focus on training for my first Tri June 1. I am using a plan from the book  The Woman Triathlete by Christina Gandlolfo.  There are a lot of bike/run bricks through out but no swim/bike bricks(not sure why) I start swimming Monday I hope Laughing

Edited by Meljoypip 2013-03-21 9:47 AM
2013-03-21 10:39 AM
in reply to: #4659396

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

March Totals:

Swim         Bike             Run            Total Time

Jax               4755          95.79          45.52         15:18:48   My girl!!!!

Dave               0           190.00         17.00         14:16:05  

TJ                3937         145.84          21.80         12:50:07   Makin' his move!

Yvonne         1525          40.90          40.10         12:06:50  

Joe               9150         34.94          37.00         11:42:16   Very strong week!

Mike                0               0              50.80        09:29:21 

Melody             0           10.00           20.59         05:22:25  

Sarah              0            32.00            3.52         02:40:06  

Charlie             0            14.67           6.20          02:06:11   Where are you Charlie??

Tom                 0             8.16             0             00:30:00  

Bill                   Injured Reserve - How's the recovery?

Chrispy            Get to it!     

Upcoming races:

3/23 - NC Half Marathon - Yvonne - She's gonna smoke it!!!!

3/23 - 5K - Melody **1st ever** Adrenaline is going to make you faster than you thought!!

4/6 - Smithfield Sprint - Yvonne

4/7   - April Fool's HM - Tom - You hanging in there?

4/7   - Gatorade Sprint - Chrispy - better get back to work Wink

2013-03-21 11:27 AM
in reply to: #4668720

User image

Veteran
Meljoypip - 2013-03-21 10:45 AM

So I'v got my first 5K coming up this Saturday! I am super excited and nervous!!

There is a 70% chance of rain- I am really hoping the weather holds off for the race.

I really wanted to be at a 10 min per mile pace by this race but I am just not there...  unless the fact that I will be running in the morning (and I AM a morning person) instead of after work and maybe some adrenaline from the race give me a slight advantage.

My feet have been killing me but I am not going to think about that now- its just 5K- I am doing some research (bunions) and have quit wearing all cute shoes to work Tongue out

My 15 YO son will be racing with me. He is running 5:54 consistently in the 1600 in track so I am hoping he will do well.

The 10K part of this race is a qualifier for some bigger races and there are some very fast runners from Kenya that come in. 

I hope we get to run (the weather does not stop us) and hoping I do well- but most of all excited to finally meet this goal of doing a 5k- I set it several years ago and kept putting it off.

Also I will be exited to get this behind me so I can really focus on training for my first Tri June 1. I am using a plan from the book  The Woman Triathlete by Christina Gandlolfo.  There are a lot of bike/run bricks through out but no swim/bike bricks(not sure why) I start swimming Monday I hope Laughing

Can't wait to hear how it goes, GOOD Luck! As Tom would say, 'May the legs be with you!'

2013-03-21 3:15 PM
in reply to: #4668720

User image

Master
St. Louis
Meljoypip - 2013-03-21 9:45 AM

Good luck Saturday! You will run faster due to the crowdand you won't even notice for the first mile. It will catch up with you sometime before mile two, just remind yourself you only have 10 minutes left. You can do just about anything for 10 minutes.

Swim/bike bricks aren't very important because it's not using the same muscles to do different tasks at different cadences, at least that's my rationalization. Whe you get to longer distances, many plans have swim/bike/run bricks.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Closed Rss Feed  

of 30